Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,866 members, 7,813,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC (47659 Views)

Buhari's Health: Save Nigeria Group Gives 74 Hours Ultimatum / Two Ministers That Can Save Nigeria. / The Phone Call That Save Nigeria – BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Splashme: 10:15pm On Apr 03, 2015
The editor of the BBC, Mansur Liman, explains how he broke the story of the historic phone call from Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan to admit election defeat - and how it almost didn't happen.
I was at the election results centre in the capital, Abuja, and at around 17:00 (16:00GMT) the votes from all but three states had been declared.

Muhammadu Buhari, the candidate for the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC), had the lead over incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan.
During a break in the results, it became obvious to me that the lead was unassailable and I began wondering about what was going on in the APC camp. Were they celebrating or still anxiously waiting?
Going by previous Nigerian elections, when rigging and results fiddling has allegedly taken place, nothing could be taken for granted.

It turns out that so many calls were coming through that there was no time to answer them all - and Gen Buhari did not even know where his phone was.

I thought that there would still be some more bumps on the road, given the passion in the campaign and the fact that a governing People's Democratic Party official had already tried to halt the count.
I have a lot of contacts within Gen Buhari's circle and I know him personally so I decided to try and call someone who I knew would be with him to find out the mood.
After he missed my call, and I missed his response, I eventually got through.
'Unimaginable'
I asked him what was going on, given that there was no way President Jonathan could win and I was surprised by the response.

He told me that Gen Buhari had just received a phone call from his rival, in which the president conceded and congratulated him.
I did not doubt that this was true as I trusted my source, but given what has happened before in Nigeria, this kind of concession was up to that point unimaginable.
I was pretty sure that I was the first journalist to get the story so as soon as I got off the phone I alerted the BBC's election desk and tweeted the details.

There were, of course, people who were very concerned about what could happen if the result was contested.
And I have since discovered that members of the National Peace Committee, which is headed by former President Abdulsalami Abubakar, visited President Jonathan as the results were being announced.
I understand they were the ones who persuaded the president to do something to avoid any trouble, and shortly after the visit he made the call.
'Pick up the phone'
But even making the call was not straight forward. I heard later that the president could not actually get through to Gen Buhari.
He rang all the numbers he had for people in his camp, but no-one answered.
It turns out that so many calls were coming through that there was no time to answer them all - and Gen Buhari did not even know where his phone was.
President Jonathan resorted to sending a messenger round to his rival's house to tell him that the president wanted to speak to him. And that he should pick up the phone the next time he tried to call.

By making that call the president saved Nigeria a great deal of pain. If the PDP had insisted that they had won the election, and the APC had said the same, the country would have been in chaos.
Lives would have been lost and property would have been destroyed. That call showed that in Nigeria, people can put the country first.
I have heard from PDP supporters that the president took the decision to make the call without consulting anyone. They told me that if he had talked to some of his advisers, they would have objected.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-africa-32160416

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 03, 2015
I board bike, I tell the Hausa guy.
"Sai Buhari"
he say "Sai Baba".
He say make I no bother pay.
After I go Mai suya, I ordered for suya. I
tell am "Sai Buhari"
he say "Sai Baba"...
He say make I leave money. I was very
happy.
After the Hausa guy polished my shoes.
I said Sai Buhari.. He replied by gnashing
his teeth... Sai Baba.
He said : ma aboki leave money... I smiled
Then I go Mai Shai. I tell am same thing he
say "Confidence leave money"....
WhaooO!!!
Seems it's working........I am getting things
free just by saying Sai Baba or Sai Buhari
I can't wait to go to this my Hausa car
dealer in Benin tomorrow and do the
same thing to get a free Jeep or maybe
toyota Venza from him too.
Even this hausa girls for my street are mine now

150 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:53pm On Apr 03, 2015
GEJ is still my president!

213 Likes 20 Shares

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by saintopus(m): 10:59pm On Apr 03, 2015
This is the symbol of a right thinking President. I just wonder in four years time if the reverse happen, the incubent can make a similar call to concede and congratulate the winner.

God bless Nigeria
God bless Goodluck Jonathan.

180 Likes 13 Shares

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 03, 2015
EverestdeBliu:
Wake up fah

23 Likes

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by EverestdeBliu(m): 11:05pm On Apr 03, 2015
achemedez:

Wake up fah
Maybe its u who needs to wake up.
Till he hands over,he's still the president n commander-in-chief.

156 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:17pm On Apr 03, 2015
I believe the call took both PDP and APC by surprise. It was a good move by the President and I commend him for that.

Perhaps he was ambushed by higher powers to concede defeat, or else...

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Richie0974: 11:37pm On Apr 03, 2015
eeeya....who cares..

4 Likes

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Nobody: 11:37pm On Apr 03, 2015
wonder how many igbos lifes and properties that would have been perished if not for that single call,

buhari u now hav yam and knife at ur disposal, any how u want it so shall it b

since u gained popularity and votes by discrediting GEJ's government by bomb blast

only God knows if u won't legalize bombing in naija

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by habeebcole: 11:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
i no get time to read all this the person wey win don win.....and only God can change that....shikena

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by CR77(f): 11:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
Oga jona na man way sabi, Man with good heart

I dey love am more and more

God bless GEJ

God bless the new nigeria

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Misogynist2014(m): 11:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
THOSE ALBINOS WANTED US TO BREAK UP, BUT NEVER DID THEY KNOW THAT THE DARKEST HOUR IS JUST BEFORE THE DAWN.
Sai Buhari
Sai Jonathan

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
That call is getting too overrated! It would have been heroic if there was no peace accord whatsoever

Btwn Was that the first time such thing would happen in Africa
Just being curious!

10 Likes

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by djfox: 11:39pm On Apr 03, 2015
We've seen pics, listened to the audio, read the transcripts and now apparently there's an analysis huh undecided

1 Like

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 03, 2015
God bless President GEJ.#GEJMYHERO

21 Likes

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by juniormusa(m): 11:39pm On Apr 03, 2015
sai baba/osinbajo

1 Like

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Oceemo(m): 11:39pm On Apr 03, 2015
Y all d hype about this phone call. I even listen 2 it both of them were even confuse what 2 say next especially GEJ

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by juniormusa(m): 11:40pm On Apr 03, 2015
God bless Gej

10 Likes

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by juniormusa(m): 11:40pm On Apr 03, 2015
God bless GEJ/BUHARI

3 Likes

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Affable0709(m): 11:40pm On Apr 03, 2015
dunno what to say.
Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by omenka(m): 11:41pm On Apr 03, 2015
Lmao.

I'm more interested in those guys on that bike than the story.

What the hell are they doing?? cheesycheesy

Na wa oo. Even people wey win lotto nor dey happy like dat. cheesy
elantraceey:
Oh please, that call have hyped long enough.
shockedshockedshocked

3 Likes

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by DesChyko: 11:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
It is only bad belle that can make some 'sadists' still doubt the 'hero' status of GEJ.
With something as simple as a phone call, lives that series of 'bomber jets' couldn't protect has been saved.
Intelligence over brute, I tell you.
Ph. D no be beans.

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by elantraceey(f): 11:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
Oh please, that call have been hyped long enough.

7 Likes

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by cegxie(m): 11:43pm On Apr 03, 2015
It is a good thing worthy of emulation.. Kudos to GEJ.. Congrats to GMB

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Anyi3(m): 11:43pm On Apr 03, 2015
STPEACE:
I board bike, I tell the Hausa guy.
"Sai Buhari"
he say "Sai Baba".
He say make I no bother pay.
After I go Mai suya, I ordered for suya. I
tell am "Sai Buhari"
he say "Sai Baba"...
He say make I leave money. I was very
happy.
After the Hausa guy polished my shoes.
I said Sai Buhari.. He replied by gnashing
his teeth... Sai Baba.
He said : ma aboki leave money... I smiled
Then I go Mai Shai. I tell am same thing he
say "Confidence leave money"....
WhaooO!!!
Seems it's working........I am getting things
free just by saying Sai Baba or Sai Buhari
I can't wait to go to this my Hausa car
dealer in Benin tomorrow and do the
same thing to get a free Jeep or maybe
toyota Venza from him too.
Even this hausa girls for my street are mine now

grin grin.... This is epic. It actually works. My friend's mum's friend got free parking in Benin just by saying Sai Buhari......

Go ahead with the Jeep but if dem use cutlass chase you, change am to Sai Usain Bolt

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by tucky200(m): 11:43pm On Apr 03, 2015
It was actually nice of him to accept defeat but its the rule naa.. so why all these heroic shit about the person we voted out simply because he is one of the worst president in nigeria...abeg mk una park well jare

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by Ralphlauren(m): 11:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
This proves that GEJ is no hero.

He was persuaded to make the call by the peace committee headed by abdusalami abubakar.

They must have read the riot act to him and reminded him of what happened to gbagbo grin grin
They must have reminded him that the sycophants around him won't save him at the ICC hence the reason why he didn't consult any of them grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by damiplovR(f): 11:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
EverestdeBliu:
Happy new year

1 Like

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by bettercreature(m): 11:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
The editor was trying to feel important,people break the news this days only clueless ones are waiting for clueless news papers,news papers that can not do simple accurate summary

1 Like

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by ebugreat: 11:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
Nigeria is destiny to be Great..

God bless Nigeria
God bless the yorubas...
God bless the igbos...
God bless the hausas...
God bless the Niger-deltas..
Sai GEJ..
sai buhari
Sai Ebugreat... cool

Automatic Toothpaste Dispenser for sale @ N1300
We deliver anywhere in Nigeria..
Call: 08061197484
BBm: 52D60F31
https://www.nairaland.com/2235111/cheap-automatic-toothpaste-dispenser

Re: The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC by snapshot: 11:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
achemedez:

Wake up fah

you talk like you don't know the difference between the president and the president elect.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Security Operatives Take Over Lekki Tollgate Ahead Of #EndSARS Memorial Protest / Which Tribe Donated This Blood Today? / Peter Obi Worships On Easter At Jesus House Church In London (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.