Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections (12966 Views)

Audu's Running Mate, Faleke Writes INEC, Insists He's The Governor-Elect / INEC Insists Election Held In Rivers, Say Amaechi Erred To Ask For Result Sheet / Nigerian Senate Express Confidence In Jega, INEC; Okay Card Readers For Election (2) (3) (4)

INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by dre11(m): 3:14pm On Apr 05, 2015
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has insisted on using the card reader for the April 11 gubernatorial elections, assuring Nigerians that the card readers would function properly.

There were technical glitches across the country during the presidential and the National Assembly elections as the device failed to read the biometrics of many voters, including that of President Goodluck Jonathan and his wife Patience.

The chief press secretary to the INEC chairman, Kayode Idowu, said the factors responsible for the setback had been identified and adequate measures had been taken to avoid a recurrence.

“Some of the networks that the cards were fixed on had challenges”, he said.

“That was the complaint on that day but you will discover that in the course of time, these card readers that they said were malfunctioning started to function; that was when they got the word across to them to remove those SIM cards to heat it with the phone before they insert again.

“The device itself, in terms of the product quality, is of very high integrity; that we have demonstrated and proven. So we know what accounted for those challenges and we are working on them”.

Idowu said contrary to the impression that the card readers marred the exercise, the challenges, he observed, only occurred in few polling units.

“We had challenges with the card readers in less than one per cent of the 155, 000 polling units across the country”, he said.

“It was only unfortunate that we had issues in high-profile places like Otuoke (hometown of the president in Bayelsa) and when you have such a thing, it overwhelms other areas. But like I said, we have identified those areas and we are working on them”.
Responding to the allegations of underage voters, rigging and related complaints, Idowu challenged people who have evidence of electoral malpractice to draw the attention of the authorities to such issues.

“In the election environment, the presiding officer is the president of that environment. But we also have observers and party agents and if there are issues and the presiding officer is not noting it, the agents and observers could draw his or her attention to such issue and when they do that, the presiding officer has the power to request the security agents to apprehend the underage voters.

“I have seen pictures of underage voters, but unlike the case of the thumb printing where the polling units were mentioned, I find it difficult to place, to know the polling units where underage voters were allowed to vote.

“All you have is anecdote and anecdotes don’t help. It is incident reports that are valid. If the presiding officer, for whatever reason, does not act, INEC has a situation room that you can reach”, he said.

http://leadership.ng/news/423128/inec-insists-on-card-readers-for-guber-elections

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by tohpahz(f): 3:15pm On Apr 05, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by dunkem21(m): 3:17pm On Apr 05, 2015
If INEC had taken my advice to run series of mock tests before the presidential elections, we won't really have time for this needless explanations. wink

Nobody is scared of the card readers; the people that expressed concerns and fears like my humble self, have just been vindicated by this press statement.

I wish INEC, Goodluck!

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by dre11(m): 3:17pm On Apr 05, 2015
We cannot afford to go back to analogue again when the whole world are embracing new technologies.Even the United States even want to introduce the card reader in their electoral system.So INEC should continue with the use of card readers.It is only those who depend on rigging election that are kicking against the use of the card readers

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by haywire1: 3:18pm On Apr 05, 2015
Yes, I insist on card reader too.

Card readers = PDP fear grin

MODS, oya FP so PDP on NL go fear grin

Mouth shut mods fit be PDP lipsrsealed

Modified. FP
Mods, I wan hear una shout Sai buhari grin

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by petitmonde(m): 3:21pm On Apr 05, 2015
...and who is afraid of card reader?

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by ijustdey: 3:23pm On Apr 05, 2015
petitmonde:
...and who is afraid of card reader?

aren't you in this country

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2015
Just Today, I
was sitting in
the church, and it was time for offering
so the
offering basket was passed around.
Despite the Pastor's charge for good
offering and reward that follows a cheerful giver, I still
hurriedly and secretly pulled out N50
from my
pocket and dropped it. Just then, the
person
behind me tapped me on the shoulder
and handed
me a N1,000 note. I smiled, and put the
N1,000
majestically in the basket and passed it
on, then I
turned and thank the man seriously for
being so
generous.
He replied "don't mention my dear,
after all it fell
off ur pocket"
I quickly check my pocket, behold my 1k is missing. Right now i dnt know what to do to that Man that sat behind me or should i go and explain to the pastor?

Happy Easter/Sunday to you all.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by ijustdey: 3:30pm On Apr 05, 2015
“That was the complaint on that day but you will discover that in the course of time, these card
readers that they said were malfunctioning
started to function; that was when they got the
word across to them to remove those SIM cards
to heat it with the phone before they insert again.

have always known that its just some technical hitches that the card readers have which could be resolve if they did carryout extensive test on it

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by divaoflife: 3:35pm On Apr 05, 2015
Yes ooo.Card readers is it joor.
Operation 'minimise magomago to the barest minimum'.

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by Islie: 3:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
“I have seen pictures of underage voters, but unlike the case of the thumb printing where the polling units were mentioned, I find it difficult to place, to know the polling units where underage voters were allowed to vote.

That's for the opposition to prove where and which polling unit such fraud is taking place and not just video evidence....

So, anyone that's wants to challenge the elections should take not

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by Islie: 3:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has insisted on using the card reader for the April 11 gubernatorial elections, assuring Nigerians that the card readers would function properly

Cc lalasticlalawink
Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by bennygreat1(m): 4:03pm On Apr 05, 2015
Am not sure INEC is fully ready for this!!!

Nigeria and Errors!!!
Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by rottennaija(m): 4:05pm On Apr 05, 2015
This is it...
Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by MyMouth(m): 4:10pm On Apr 05, 2015
Card reader aka PD P's nemesis

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by MyMouth(m): 4:10pm On Apr 05, 2015
Card reader aka PDP's nemesis

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by dre11(m): 5:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
“We had challenges with the card readers in less than one per cent of the 155, 000 polling units across the country”, he said.

This shows that the apprehension and noise some party where having about card readers is unjustifiable if according to the spokesman of INEC say its just 1% of polling units they did have some challenges...

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by Nobody: 5:56pm On Apr 05, 2015
I hope it wnt disappoints us this time nd if it does...
Manual acreditatn 'll be takn to consideration..kini big deal?

IN MAmA PEACE'S VOICE : IF PIKIN NO PASS... E NO GO REPEAT CLASS? grin

SO, let INEC repeats d use of Card reader

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by chymystique(f): 5:58pm On Apr 05, 2015
Card reader or no Card..

Vote Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi for Enugu State Governor! PDP!

He has won sef smiley

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 05, 2015
Another disappointment for pdpians grin
Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by aristocrazzy: 5:59pm On Apr 05, 2015
As long as sey dey go minimize the lapses then it should be embraced.

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by nationwide1(m): 6:00pm On Apr 05, 2015
We can't relegate card readers to the background now. Those who oppose it should learn from the president, Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan reconsider their positions.

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by An2elect2(f): 6:00pm On Apr 05, 2015
good lets say no to electoral malpractice.

The best men for the job according to God's will must emerge. We are tired of mediocrity.
Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by kindnyce(m): 6:01pm On Apr 05, 2015
I HOPE THEY HAVE IMPROVED ON THE LAPSES RECORDED IN THE PRES.ELECTION

IN CARD READER WE BELIEVE

NO RIGGING

OPERATION FINISH PDP

SAI APC ALL THE WAY

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by qualityovenbake(m): 6:01pm On Apr 05, 2015
PVC Card reader has come to stay. Never again will the masses votes be rigged. Election without card reader will give room for massive rigging.

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by RYANAYO(m): 6:01pm On Apr 05, 2015
African kids reactions to touching a white person for the first time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXY7ce8g5vg
Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by musicwriter(m): 6:02pm On Apr 05, 2015
Good, but... I would like to know this.

1. After collecting thumb prints with the card reader, does INEC calculate the sum total of all thumb prints from all the card readers from all polling units?.

2. Or, is the sum total of thumb prints calculated from the thumb prints made on paper?.

I need to know this to be able to ascertain whether the card reader itself is a good thing. Someone in the know, please help.
Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by CR77(f): 6:02pm On Apr 05, 2015
No problem if it will work well that day

#TeamPDP4LIFE

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by hijacke(m): 6:03pm On Apr 05, 2015
INEC giving PDP high BP again, i thought GEJ promised to fight corruption with technology, so lets start from here, except in GEJ mind, Rigging is not Corruption

Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by urcutecrush(f): 6:03pm On Apr 05, 2015
No card reader!no voting
Re: INEC Insists On Card Readers For Guber Elections by kayboy4y(m): 6:03pm On Apr 05, 2015
INEC good to to go. #Card reader must be used!

Fulani Herdsmen Cause Mayhem In Ogun State / FG Launches Single Register On Poor, Vulnerable / 'Men Should Be In The Kitchen & Women In Other Room' - Babangida Aliyu