Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,524 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (1005) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3027891 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1002) (1003) (1004) (1005) (1006) (1007) (1008) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:08pm On Sep 23, 2019
A #Tunisian F-5 Tiger II armed with AIM-9 Sidewinder AA missiles during an interception mission.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:09pm On Sep 23, 2019
Tunisian Tigers on patrol

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nicheey(m): 7:10pm On Sep 23, 2019
jpphilips:

Weak brains call names on faceless fora, you will understand the economic advantage South Africa has over Nigeria when you grow up.

Tf man?,why not prove your point and put me to rest once?.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:10pm On Sep 23, 2019
Tunisian USGN operators.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 7:28pm On Sep 23, 2019
Nigerian Army: Super Camps or Strategic Retreat?

Although, they said it is strategic withdrawal, but they have left a vacuum where our people are at the receiving end.

With the decade old war in Nigeria's northeastern region showing no sign of abating soon, the Nigerian Army recently adopted a new strategy.

This new strategy named "Super Camp" involves the clustering of front-line soldiers in well-defended citadels near cities.
Soldiers in this citadels or Super Camps will still retain the ability to respond swiftly to threats across the region.

The shift to this new strategy is as a result of continous reports of insurgents (Islamic State and Boko Haram) overrunning small troop locations in the Northeast, using numerical strength.

https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2019/09/nigerian-army-super-camps-or-strategic-retreat

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nicheey(m): 7:29pm On Sep 23, 2019
bxboss:

Have you seen the official stats of the trade volume btw both countries? I laugh when you all just make sweeping statements about Nigeria being the most powerful in Africa. maybe you all wanna sound patriotic, but the evidences abound, even militarily Nigeria won't stand SA, talk more of Algeria or Egypt.
Before we even begin what is the numerical strength of the armed forces again? and what's our budget/spendings for defence in the last 20yrs? No doubt Nigeria has potential to be the best but how can you achieve that without investing on your military?
mind you SA has nuclear technology o grin .
We go dey alright las las.

With all due respect,You're out of context sir.
We're are arguing bout south Africa economy advantage over Nigeria (in his own word,"south Africa will bury Nigeria economically"wink a claim i find outrageous and in all sincerity not true.

Well,addressing what you said.
Why would Nigeria go to war with north African nations?, what is the motive behind the war?who is the bully?(made the first shot)...

Who is on the defensive side and who is on the attacking side?,we dont share land borders between either countries you mentioned,so assuming we're on the defending side what happens? They'll blockade our water ways probably to cut off our supplies, food or any (considering the fact Nigeria import alot).

Of here's the thing,with our many ships?
What bout ecowas?
So you think Nigeria huge population dont count? We could recruit over a million troops 2 years into the war,the man power is there,so is the resources.

So bruh see this thing?it's never happening,we could call it an end now.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 7:54pm On Sep 23, 2019
How some can't argue in context is very alarming

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:02pm On Sep 23, 2019
Meanwhile, maybe its because I have devoured books of the wars in the Southern part of Africa I am saying this.

From Top down there are near-clueless fellows running this war.
In weaponry, we are not as underarmed as Rhodesia was.
In sheer numbers and access to improvement, We're not in dire straits.
Embargoes, none. Economic crisis, none. etc etc.
I am not worried about setbacks, its only alarming how unserious everyone is in MAKING the SAME mistakes again.

"There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare." -- Sun Tzu.

As many as are still on the delusion that there are "people benefitting..." Come forward & make your case.
All this blame apportioning is sickening

6 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 8:23pm On Sep 23, 2019
Odunayaw:
Meanwhile, maybe its because I have devoured books of the wars in the Southern part of Africa I am saying this.

From Top down there are near-clueless fellows running this war.
In weaponry, we are not as underarmed as Rhodesia was.
In sheer numbers and access to improvement, We're not in dire straits.
Embargoes, none. Economic crisis, none. etc etc.
I am not worried about setbacks, its only alarming how unserious everyone is in MAKING the SAME mistakes again.

"There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare." -- Sun Tzu.

As many as are still on the delusion that there are "people benefitting..." Come forward & make your case.
All this blame apportioning is sickening
Your last paragraph. You believe people aren't benefitting from this war?.

I actually want to know why you think that despite the very obvious realities.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:39pm On Sep 23, 2019
EVarn:
Your last paragraph. You believe people aren't benefitting from this war?.

I actually want to know why you think that despite the very obvious realities.
Instead, I'd like one to show me the realities. Who is benefitting, what is the end game, how are they benefitting

War is still under the wing of politics, there is benefit, however I fail to see the "benefit" (the ones Nigerian see)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 9:46pm On Sep 23, 2019
Odunayaw:
Instead, I'd like one to show me the realities. Who is benefitting, what is the end game, how are they benefitting

War is still under the wing of politics, there is benefit, however I fail to see the "benefit" (the ones Nigerian see)
Well, when you put it that way, I wouldn't call it "benefit". Let's just say, some people are profiting financially, economically and politically from the war.

PS: I disagree with Sun Tzu, there are modern examples of nations that eventually benefitted(I mean positively) from prolonged warfare.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 9:48pm On Sep 23, 2019
EVarn:
Well, when you put it that way, I wouldn't call it "benefit". Let's just say, some people are profiting financially, economically and politically from the war.
Show me in those spheres

N.B Not at once tho, you cab take your time.

When you read that the Rhodies had to literally " count " their bullets when in contact with the enemies and still racked up a reputation you'd instantly want to break everyone's head

Edit;
Show me
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 9:58pm On Sep 23, 2019
Odunayaw:
Show me in those spheres

N.B Not at once tho, you cab take your time.

When you read that the Rhodies had to literally " count " their bullets when in contact with the enemies and still racked up a reputation you'd instantly want to break everyone's head
When I talk about profiteering, I mean all the funds and aids budgeted for military procurements, resettlements of displaced persons, eradication of diseases, and so on. A huge chunk of which end up in the hands of corrupt state actors.

Another angle is the possibilities of active sponsorship from state actors who suscribe to radical islamist ideals, people who may actually gain power in a new theocratic order of government.

Modified: To counter Sun Tzu's position on the efficacy of wars as tools for national development; constant conflicts and rivalry between European powers led to the renaissance of Europe in the 14th century and the industrial revolution that saw the rise of military and technological powers in the continent. A large part of technological advancements(which we now enjoy today) were driven by those years of conflicts.

Furthermore, the sustained flux of wars was a galvanizing factor for the democratization of European nations from unstable Aristocratic governments (monarchies) to Constitutional Republics. This can be said to have come to a head within the context of the European balance of power(the political agreement between Austria, Britain, France and Germany), the League of nations and now, the United Nations.

Wars have been fought in the quest for independence and emancipation. This is seen in the context of the black emancipation movements that fought to eradicate slavery, amongst a few.

Of course, there will be loss of lives, economic instability and massive scale destruction during the course of war, but there are cases where it benefits the people eventually.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 10:06pm On Sep 23, 2019
EVarn:

When I talk about profiteering, I mean all the funds and aids budgeted for military procurements, resettlements of displaced persons, eradication of diseases, and so on. A huge chunk of which end up in the hands of corrupt state actors.

Another angle is the possibilities of active sponsorship from state actors who suscribe to radical islamist ideals, people who may actually gain power in a new theocratic order of government.

The nation in Sun Tzu's theory is the Government - people.
Whoever benefits from a prolonged war is definitely not part of the government.

hope you catch my drift
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 10:17pm On Sep 23, 2019
Odunayaw:

hope you catch my drift
I have modified my previous post to capture this. I still disagree. Read my reasons.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GabrielYulaw(m): 10:19pm On Sep 23, 2019
Odunayaw:

hope you catch my drift

Lol. This guy you are funny. So, Buratai that has mansions in Dubai is not part of the government? The general that is currently being courtmartialled where did he get 400 million, abi 1 billion naira from and is he not part of the government? Those who divert funds meant for arms procurement into private pockets are they not part of the government? If they are not part of it why has the government done nothing to expose them and make sure that doesn't happen again? You are really funny, you should go into comedy.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:09pm On Sep 23, 2019
Decomposing Body of Navy Commander Found in Shallow Well in Kaduna

The decomposing body of the Commandant of Command Secondary School of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC), Jaji, Kaduna, Navy Commander Oluwayemisi Ogundana, with service number NN/ 2367, was found on Sunday in a shallow well.

THISDAY can exclusively report that her body was found and recovered at about 12.45pm, in Agwanloyo by the railway, inside an abandoned shallow well near Deeper Life Bible Church in Jaji Cantonment.

Already, two suspects have been arrested. The suspects are Mr Bernard Simon, a teacher at the Command Secondary School, Jaji and his alleged accomplice, Mr Ibrahlm Maman.

Although the military authorities are yet to fully unravel the circumstances surrounding her death, a senior personnel who spoke to THISDAY on condition of anonymity, said they were keeping the two suspects in custody for further investigation.

Ogundana was on Friday last week declared missing after concerted efforts to ascertain her whereabouts proved abortive.

According to the situation report from the AFCSC Jaji, the deceased was confirmed missing after military personnel broke into her apartment and found her phone ringing and her whereabouts unknown.

The deceased, who resided at AVM Crescent, House 22, was last seen on Friday, September 13, at the secondary school within the cantonment.

The incident was thereafter reported to the authorities when her cell phone was ringing repeatedly and she did not pick her calls.

The military authorities had to forcibly break into her room and the said phone was found ringing inside the sitting room.

Fears were heightened when her vehicle, a metallic gray Toyota Highlander with registration number AAA 434 CF (Lagos) was also missing. The deceased was married with three kids, who are in their Lagos residence with their father.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:31pm On Sep 23, 2019
#HQNigerianArmy in Maiduguri bursted some students of Unimaid posing and perpetrating crime in the name of BokoHaram.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Uwaomaokey(m): 12:12am On Sep 24, 2019
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Covert1: 1:14am On Sep 24, 2019
As much as I hate to say it something which no one wants to say but the intelligence desk across board in the services and I think must have also crossed some minds or is somewhere in the minds of policy makers, political and military leaders, local community stakeholders and traditional rulers, though at the end of the day it's still the call of the sitting president and I don't know which president would want that to be his legacy but maybe it might just be time to start considering talks with any element or at least moderate elements of Boko Haram to cease hostilities and find some way to live in peace even if it means creating for them a "living space". Yes, I know someone is screaming "give jihadists a living space?". And the downturn is not good because we might just go from Boko Yusuf to Boko Shekau to ISWAP to a monster we know not, but there are many options that can be put up for negotiations that allows for peace to reign and this shouldn't be only for Nigeria but the whole world suffering terrorism for which we could be a model. At least most of these guys are Nigerians like us which is one engine that drives the bitter fight. Because as it is I see no end in sight for the foreseeable future except we are ready to go through another 2 to 3 presidents and who knows still end up here whilst many state and non-state actors continue to benefit from this bitter war that has taken the lives of very fine young officers and soldiers. No doubt this is our own Vietnam and except we consider this course of action then no other choice than to roll out everything and officially declare war, start using napalm to destroy whole villages and towns and roll out the big guns and bombs including banned weapons. Except drastic measures are taken we may just continue to send young men to chase ghosts they can't see fighting us in a classical insurgency warfare that almost every other big power has lost. Nothing being done now that hasn't been done before which they know. Ideas can help.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SamuelAnyawu(m): 2:14am On Sep 24, 2019
Covert1:
As much as I hate to say it something which no one wants to say but the intelligence desk across board in the services and I think must have also crossed some minds or is somewhere in the minds of policy makers, political and military leaders, local community stakeholders and traditional rulers, though at the end of the day it's still the call of the sitting president and I don't know which president would want that to be his legacy but maybe it might just be time to start considering talks with any element or at least moderate elements of Boko Haram to cease hostilities and find some way to live in peace even if it means creating for them a "living space". Yes, I know someone is screaming "give jihadists a living space?". And the downturn is not good because we might just go from Boko Yusuf to Boko Shekau to ISWAP to a monster we know not, but there are many options that can be put up for negotiations that allows for peace to reign and this shouldn't be only for Nigeria but the whole world suffering terrorism for which we could be a model. At least most of these guys are Nigerians like us which is one engine that drives the bitter fight. Because as it is I see no end in sight for the foreseeable future except we are ready to go through another 2 to 3 presidents and who knows still end up here whilst many state and non-state actors continue to benefit from this bitter war that has taken the lives of very fine young officers and soldiers. No doubt this is our own Vietnam and except we consider this course of action then no other choice than to roll out everything and officially declare war, start using napalm to destroy whole villages and towns and roll out the big guns and bombs including banned weapons. Except drastic measures are taken we may just continue to send young men to chase ghosts they can't see fighting us in a classical insurgency warfare that almost every other big power has lost. Nothing being done now that hasn't been done before which they know. Ideas can help.

My brother our leaders ( Presidency, Defense Head Quarters, Ministry of Defense, Top military brats)don't want this Insurgency issue to come to an end. It is the current oil well na.

#Truth

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:31am On Sep 24, 2019
#THROWBACK
#72MSF

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:35am On Sep 24, 2019
NPF E.O.D. PERSONNEL ON U.N MISSION, MOGADISHU SOMALIA.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 7:48am On Sep 24, 2019
Covert1:
You actually made some sense.

I have thought about this idea too. Creating what you call a "living space". This could work if we are able to come to an agreement with moderate elements of BH, perhaps if they could transform into an islamist political party and participate in government, if there can be a shift from radical theology to political theology, what better way to fight an idealogy than through another ideology?. Afterall, we know that they have support of the local populace in some places, and as long as they continue to enjoy such sympathy, this war will get more complicated.

However, we also know that these people are not afraid of death, they are only too happy to embrace it and get the heavenly reward promised by their clerics. I reckon it'd be difficult to convince them to forfiet the promise of a harem of heavenly virgins in exchange for corruptible earthly power. You can never win over a people that have been so adversely indoctrinated.

We also have the problem of sociopolitical implications on the nation as a whole. How will the rest of the country interprete such a move?, Such an action will breath life into the grand conspiracies that have been trailing this war since it's inception. As a government, of what profit would it be to gain a section of the country and lose the larger whole?. What if others starts clamoring for the same treatment?.

So I don't think that would be a solution for such a country as Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 7:59am On Sep 24, 2019
We should be careful of creating "living space" for lawbreakers, how many more of such spaces are we willing to create, or what justification will the government have for not carving out territories for other groups such as IPOB, Bandits, Militia herders, Kidnappers etc. The idea might even boomerang thus creating other unwanted elements in the society.
As much as I welcome sincere dialogue, from warring factions carving out territories is not an option not with the expansionist agenda of hardline Jihadists.
Why we explore the option of dialogue I insist we properly equip our military with modern weapons of war, we have the capacity to end this playing okoso with the lives of soldiers will only worsen things, if we can't get cash atleast we could sign a deal with say Israel/China or Russia to totally equip the military in exchange for crude oil, or any natural resources been have, atleast this will cut corruption in arms deal by half.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:55am On Sep 24, 2019
EVarn:

Modified: To counter Sun Tzu's position on the efficacy of wars as tools for national development; constant conflicts and rivalry between European powers led to the renaissance of Europe in the 14th century and the industrial revolution that saw the rise of military and technological powers in the continent. A large part of technological advancements(which we now enjoy today) were driven by those years of conflicts.

Furthermore, the sustained flux of wars was a galvanizing factor for the democratization of European nations from unstable Aristocratic governments (monarchies) to Constitutional Republics. This can be said to have come to a head within the context of the European balance of power(the political agreement between Austria, Britain, France and Germany), the League of nations and now, the United Nations.

Wars have been fought in the quest for independence and emancipation. This is seen in the context of the black emancipation movements that fought to eradicate slavery, amongst a few.

Of course, there will be loss of lives, economic instability and massive scale destruction during the course of war, but there are cases where it benefits the people eventually.
Sun Tzu says It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on.

"It is only one thoroughly acquainted"...
All you made are salient points but I regard them as ripple effect of chaos. Order>>Chaos>>Order >> ∞
From your opinion, its basically the phoenix rising from the ashes. Now, my question is about the "ashes". Does this " ashes" know what'd come out of it by and by?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:59am On Sep 24, 2019
GabrielYulaw:

Lol. This guy you are funny. So, Buratai that has mansions in Dubai is not part of the government? The general that is currently being courtmartialled where did he get 400 million, abi 1 billion naira from and is he not part of the government? Those who divert funds meant for arms procurement into private pockets are they not part of the government? If they are not part of it why has the government done nothing to expose them and make sure that doesn't happen again? You are really funny, you should go into comedy.

If he's being court martialed does that not mean the "system" is rejecting such thing?
Do you understand what you quote at all or you just want to laugh
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 9:04am On Sep 24, 2019
ugo4u:
We should be careful of creating "living space" for lawbreakers, how many more of such spaces are we willing to create, or what justification will the government have for not carving out territories for other groups such as IPOB, Bandits, Militia herders, Kidnappers etc. The idea might even boomerang thus creating other unwanted elements in the society.
As much as I welcome sincere dialogue, from warring factions carving out territories is not an option not with the expansionist agenda of hardline Jihadists.
Why we explore the option of dialogue I insist we properly equip our military with modern weapons of war, we have the capacity to end this playing okoso with the lives of soldiers will only worsen things, if we can't get cash atleast we could sign a deal with say Israel/China or Russia to totally equip the military in exchange for crude oil, or any natural resources been have, atleast this will cut corruption in arms deal by half.
Chai, this thing is not must about modern weapon

There's doctrine somersault.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by GabrielYulaw(m): 9:09am On Sep 24, 2019
Odunayaw:

If he's being court martialed does that not mean the "system" is rejecting such thing?
Do you understand what you quote at all or you just want to laugh

No! He is being courtmartialled cos he got caught. If the soldiers guarding the loot had not taken it and run away, I am willing to swear on anything that no court martial will have even taken place. It is you who don't understand what is going on. It is either you choose to be very naive or are determined to see and hear no evil.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 9:31am On Sep 24, 2019
GabrielYulaw:

No! He is being courtmartialled cos he got caught. If the soldiers guarding the loot had not taking it and run away, I am willing to swear on anything that no court martial will have even taken place. It is you who don't understand what is going on. It is either you choose to be very naive or are determined to see and hear no evil.

Alright, I see your point. But this doesn't support the point some make that the whole war is rigged for Profiteering.

This is what I am determined to see, not emotions
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 9:40am On Sep 24, 2019
Odunayaw:
Chai, this thing is not must about modern weapon

There's doctrine somersault.
can you tell us any military doctrine that can be implemented effectively with obsolete equipments?
Infact cutting edge technology/equipments in itself is a "doctrine".

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 9:56am On Sep 24, 2019
ugo4u:

can you tell us any military doctrine that can be implemented effectively with obsolete equipments?
Infact cutting edge technology/equipments in itself is a "doctrine".
I misspelt 'just'

its not just about modern weapons

Obsolete is a relative term. Obsolete in terms of age or fitness for purpose.

I fail to see the cutting edge technology/equipment the Sri Lankans and Rhodesians used to great effect.

And don't get me wrong, there's need to replace some old (not obsolete weaponry) and so on but I don't agree we need helmets with HUD or bionic suits to give them a run for their money.

A step ahead in fighting wisdom is cutting edge in itself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1002) (1003) (1004) (1005) (1006) (1007) (1008) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: abbati19 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.