Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55242 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 25, 2011
goggs:

Yea one CAN easily get confused.

I think you meant 2gbps to 2.4 gbps all through the day,

Had to check my own post severally to make sure, lipsrsealed

Bottom line is that glo has improved. Strangely they talk less these days. May be this (less talk) gave them time to concentrate on their network.

You are right. Thanks for the correction
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 1:01pm On Jul 25, 2011
Hold on, don't you guys mean Mbps or MBps. As I understand it, The K-Kilo, M-Mega, and G-Giga should always be in capital letters. What changes is b-bits or B-Bytes. No Commercial home network is working in Gigabytes/Gigabits to the consumer anywhere in the world.

The most I have seen in Nigeria is MTN with theirs 7.2 Mbps masts on the Island in Lagos. Someone said glo broadaccess was offering 24Mbps/3MBps on Adsl, but that is the absolute highest i know about.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 9:01pm On Jul 25, 2011
EMMAACHILE:

You are right. Thanks for the correction

U are welcome. wink
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 2:43pm On Aug 08, 2011
Wow, it seems glo has been busy signing on corporate clients on to its network and forgotten about the masses.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201106131465748

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2011/06/glo-gets-10yr-gsm-deal/
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by nateevs(m): 7:57pm On Aug 11, 2011
Why is anyone even even talking about speed in terms of KBps? What's the point doing that? 
Data is put on the wire and the wireless in bits - 1s and 0s - and that's where the bits come from, not bytes. Why even bring in the confusion having to divide by 8 when the accepted standard is Kbps?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 3:40pm On Aug 13, 2011
Hi,

Good news again in the Nigerian bandwidth industry. Two (2) new fibre-optic submarine cables are under construction and are expected to go live in Q2 2012. They are :

1. WACS - West African Cable System 5.12 TB/S
2. ACE - African Coast To Europe 5.12 TB/S

Nigeria is among the countries situated to have a landing station. This makes it 5 cables carrying bandwidth for Nigeria to the outside world. Excluding SAT-3, this makes it 4. Wow, this is what I call bandwidth overkill. The issue now is having the infrastructure in the country to take advantage of this bandwidth and deliver it to our homes and offices. The ISP's also should adjust their prices accordingly as competition heats up.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 5:19pm On Aug 13, 2011
Good news Indeed. But to be frank, these have not translated to lower prices for the individual user, only corporate organizations benefit from these.
I look forward to when you pay for content and not for the link. Years to come but we will get there. Can more cables land pls
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by nateevs(m): 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2011
Djcn:

Good news Indeed. But to be frank, these have not translated to lower prices for the individual user, only corporate organizations benefit from these.
I look forward to when you pay for content and not for the link. Years to come but we will get there. Can more cables land pls

Exactly. Lower prices is key. I was checking out the links Samir posted in the Data Centre thread and it's ridiculous what these guy charge for a few kbits of transfer. You wonder why the cost of bandwidth on SAT3 is as high as $2,400 - $12,000 per Mbits per month. How can anyone defend those costs? Does it cost more laying a cable from Africa to the UK?

That's why more of them are welcome. At some point, something will give and one company will have to slash it's prices.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by nateevs(m): 10:00pm On Aug 13, 2011
samir101ng:

Hi,

Good news again in the Nigerian bandwidth industry. Two (2) new fibre-optic submarine cables are under construction and are expected to go live in Q2 2012. They are :

1. WACS - West African Cable System 5.12 TB/S
2. ACE - African Coast To Europe 5.12 TB/S

Nigeria is among the countries situated to have a landing station. This makes it 5 cables carrying bandwidth for Nigeria to the outside world. Excluding SAT-3, this makes it 4. Wow, this is what I call bandwidth overkill. The issue now is having the infrastructure in the country to take advantage of this bandwidth and deliver it to our homes and offices. The ISP's also should adjust their prices accordingly as competition heats up.

Yeah. I learnt about WACS and ACE early this year.
MTN are the biggest investors in WACS which is good competition for Glo and Main One.

It's also very advantageous to multi-homing deployment. One can ensure traffic via different routes to several destinations.
Is there any way we can find out which ISPs in Naija are connected to what undersea cables?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 11:29am On Aug 15, 2011
http://www.mainonecable.com/our-clients - Main One Cable

http://www.nixp.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=13 - Nigerian Internet Exchange Point

Check out the above links for more info. Sadly, SAT-3 website http://www.safe-sat3.co.za/ has no info at all and Glo-1 is a proprietary owned cable of Globacomm and therefore does not share information about it.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 11:28pm On Aug 23, 2011
goggs:

2gbps with a small gb not GB. Do the conversion its approximately 250KBps

Actually, I think you mean [b]m[/b]bps. No one at a consumer level in Nigeria gets anything close to 2 [b]g[/b]bps. No one.

Edit: I see someone has already made my point.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 8:28pm On Aug 27, 2011
lumzi23:

Actually, I think you mean [b]m[/b]bps. No one at a consumer level in Nigeria gets anything close to 2 [b]g[/b]bps. No one.

Edit: I see someone has already made my point.

oh dear! this is killing me! shocked shocked its so easy to slip on that. I meant mbps NOT gbps. Thanks for the correction.   kiss

MTN is laying thousands of kilometers  across Nigeria at an amazing pace! Traveled to the north east and north central early in the year and the roll out is impressive. Am I excited at this,  yes and no.

yes cos the infrastructure to take broadband up country is being laid.

No, cos it appears only MTN is making such huge investment. The SNO Glo is not so aggressive. What this means is that MTN (notorious for not being pocket friendly) will maintain dominance in spread of data capability and ultimately keep prices high as long as possible. I wish so others are as aggressive and so ensure competition at the data sector
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 10:40pm On Aug 27, 2011
No probs. grin

And the MTN thing you mentioned is awesome and depressing at the same time. I hope the fear of being left behind gingers the competition to step up.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 9:50am On Aug 28, 2011
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/technology-glo-pledges-commitment-to-innovation/97255/

Check out the above article.

$29,000 for an E1 connection !!! shocked shocked shocked

Now down to N90,000. Chei !!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 12:28pm On Aug 28, 2011
read the above article BUT glo, why our data allowee and cost still never crash nah? angry
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 10:02pm On Mar 02, 2012
Saw an article that says WACS will be up April/May, and Ace is expected to be up Q2 2012.

Question, does anyone know when WACS landed(if it has landed) and where? Also, who is the landing partner for ACE in Nigeria?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 5:41pm On Apr 30, 2012
http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2011/04/wacs-submarine-cable-nears-completion/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/broadband-wacs-cable-lands-s-africa/

http://nationalmirroronline.net/business/business-and-finance/35592.html

Well, by all accounts, the WACS cable has landed in Nigeria and South Africa. All that remains is for traffic to go on live. I just pray that God gives MTN a merciful heart and they reduce prices a little and increase bandwidth. Even their 3.5G expansion has stopped as no new city has been added. Airtel has launched 3.75G across the 36 States of the Federation without a complex fibre backbone or a submarine cable. Imagine what MTN can do if they really care about their Nigerian subscribers. May God help us. cry cry cry
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 5:45pm On Apr 30, 2012
Will MTN Crash Internet Cost With WACS Cable ?

As MTN Nigeria prepares to go-live on the West African Cable System (WACS), a 14,000 kilometres fibre optic submarine cable with a capacity of 5.12 terabits per second (tbps), which berthed in the country last year, the expectation that Nigeria e-commerce and emergence as a digital economy may have to wait until the issue of carrying bandwidth traffic to the hinterlands is addressed.

The WACS consortium include MTN, Angola Cables, Broadband Infraco, Cable and Wireless Worldwide; Congo Telecom.; Société Congolaise des Postes et Télécommunications (“SCPT”), PT Communicacoes, Togo Telecom, Tata Communications, Telecom Namibia, Telkom SA Ltd, and Vodacom Group Ltd. WACS which cost about $650 million spans the entire West African coast and terminating in the United Kingdom.

The cable would enable seamless connectivity among Southern and West Africa countries with the rest of Europe and America. It has 15 established terminal stations along its route and would function to reduce the cost to connect the West coast of Africa into the high-speed global telecommunications network. MTN is the single biggest investor in WACS with over $90 million in the cable.

Mr. Wale Goodluck, corporate Services Executive, MTN Nigeria said, “The WACS cable is here. It landed in the middle of last year. The landing station is ready and we expect that it should be carrying live traffic by the end of April. The capacity is bigger than any submarine cable that has landed in Nigeria and we expect that it would provide greater bandwidth, greater redundancy and for more latency for data services.”

However, landing the cable on the shore of the beach is just the beginning. “We need to take it up country. The federal, state and local government needs to support the industry with Rights of Way and give us conducive environment to enable us put infrastructure in the ground,” Goodluck said. MTN Nigeria plans to invest $1.3 billion into its core, radio and the transmission networks and build more national and metropolitan fibre rings.

To get this done, it needs free or easy access. But the company faces the difficulty in taking the cable into the hinterland. Issues of Rights of Way permits, multiple taxations from all levels of government, vandalisation of cables by construction companies building roads, etc are obstructing the delivery of bandwidth to the hinterlands.

Mr. Okey Itanyi, Executive Commissioner Stakeholder Management, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), said that MTN and other telecom operators are now seen as an palying in the extractive industry and should pay all the taxes, levies and duties imposed on them by the ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) at the federal, states and local governments levels. He said the multiple taxations which is in tens of billions of naira for each operator may affect the plans by operators to crash the cost of bandwidth especially in the semi urban and rural ears.

http://www.technologyavenue.com.ng/news/2012/03/will-mtn-crash-internet-cost-with-wacs-cable/
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by purplekayc(m): 1:24pm On May 03, 2012
submarine cable  , fish no go chop am

grin grin grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 11:28pm On May 05, 2012

Network: Glo 3G+ HSI

Glo-1 is certainly improving Glo's network speeds

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 3:44pm On May 07, 2012
My test

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 3:55pm On May 07, 2012
Glo has actually improved....running on glo 1

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 3:22pm On May 11, 2012
WACS went live earlier today. There was a ceremony in SA. Anyone using MTN see any improvement?
Anyone with pricing info on wholesale bandwidth to isps.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 5:27pm On May 12, 2012
Djcn: Glo has actually improved....running on glo 1

Hi Djcn,

Its been a while. Nice speed. Where was that taken ?? Glo has definitely improved.

jdoss: WACS went live earlier today. There was a ceremony in SA. Anyone using MTN see any improvement?
Anyone with pricing info on wholesale bandwidth to isps.

Yeah, will be interested to find out about all the cables (ACE, MAIN ONE, WACS) etc !!! What are they charging now for wholesale bandwidth to ISP's ??
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samfibby(m): 7:37pm On May 12, 2012
GLO is actually yet to deploy its GLO submarine marine cable for broadband connectivity. According to a friend that works with glo, glo submarine has only been commisoned not deployed. They are currently laying fibre optic cables in major cities. By beginning of 4th quater, they might start connecting customers nation wide. I hear broadband charges will be drastically reduced. Lets hope they deliver on their promise.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by nateevs(m): 12:14am On May 15, 2012
I noticed Glo laying fibre cables as early as 2005. I don't want to believe it's taken 7 years to connect the phase of customers.
Just when you think one company will come in and do things differently in Nigeria, they all jut seem to follow the same direction.

Do they need to be told that the first company to get a stranglehold on this could control a large percentage of the market share?

Anyway, I will be holding on. Hopefully before 2015, someone will begin something.

Samir, do you know how much it may cost to have a public IP address from ISPs in Nigeria?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 15, 2012
They have such facility, yet their network is very dull in some places.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 11:59am On May 16, 2012
Well, consistency is one word that Nigerian network providers don't understand yet. You can be getting killer speeds in one location and be crawling in another. Overall, no provider can claim consistent quality of service in all locations. However, efforts can be made to improve. But trust our Nigerian mentality, the network providers are out to make money.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.