Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,163 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour (10576 Views)

Poultry Farmers, How Are You Coping With The Scarcity And High Cost Of Maize / Farmers: How Do You Guard Against Rats Invasion On Your Farm / Farmers : How Do You Stay Healthy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by mikolo80: 10:52am On Apr 21, 2015
noblefarm:

pls mikolo can u help us wit the price of the "I pass my neighbour tractor" and possibly the pic/video of the machine, tnx
@op this is same problem am facing here, really looking at a way of overcoming it. following seriously
this is what it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYURvtQZr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3TZhwnIA

i read on another thread that they start from 1500dollars but importing them is the issue cos the chinese manufacturers won't sell less than 5units cos of container costs.

you can find out more by googling "hand tractor or walk behind tractor"

Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by mikolo80: 11:58am On Apr 21, 2015
OLAMIMO12:

Go nd read d thread again. hotmass cleared 105 acres wt 2.1million. dnt give wrong data.
hotmas911:
we wrapped up the clearing on Friday. a total of 105 acres have been cleared. by evening the total cost of clearing should be available so we know what it cost per acre. thanks

Still waiting to know the cost of clearing an Acre.

Thanks loads!!
(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)

Re: Cost Of Mechanised Land Clearing in Ogbomosho With Pictures by PapaBrowne(m): 4:21pm On Mar 17
hotmas911:
we wrapped up the clearing on Friday. a total of 105 acres have been cleared. by evening the total cost of clearing should be available so we know what it cost per acre. thanks

Thanks loads!!
(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)
Inefficiences = Opportunities. Thats why Africa is the best place 2 be right now!!
Re: Cost Of Mechanised Land Clearing in Ogbomosho With Pictures by hotmas911(m): 9:51pm On Mar 17
PapaBrowne:

Thanks loads!!
we spent #18,700 per acre
Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by mikolo80: 12:07pm On Apr 21, 2015
debeey87:
. So na tractor go do clearing of virgin land for you bah abi when u need to clear the weeds on your farm, na tractor go clear am for you. E be like say you be internet farmer cheesy

Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by leosnr: 12:16pm On Apr 21, 2015
Hello House,

I am Leo, a ghanaian based in Lagos Nigeria.I am Consultant Agriculturist in the following area :

Piggery,
Poultry,
Fish Farming,
Snail Farming
Grass Cutter

You can reach me via the following mobile no: 08083777403,08054485777.

Email: leodadsonsnr@gmail.com
Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by debeey87(m): 8:09pm On Apr 21, 2015
Denn:
Farm labour demystified...

Farm labour in Nigeria is simple if you understand the dynamics.

First, understand the community in which the farm is located. Do some ground work. Get to know who the real farmers are. It would be surprising to note that the indigenes are not usually the farmers. For example, in the Yoruba community where my farm is located, the real farmers are people from Benue and cotonu.

Second step is to identify the leader of the farming community. Hold your discussions with the leader. This is to provide for accountability.

Now the main part..you should understand the local unit of land measurement... Not the plots or acres or hectares. If you speak in acres or hectares, it is a tell tale sign that you are a 'book farmer' and there are chances that you would be cheated....seriously.

In yoruba land,the local unit of measurement is alapin. An alapin is 60ft by 60ft. That is approximately half of a plot of 120ft by 60ft.

An alapin is measured using a cutlass on a stick. The length of a new cutlass is 2ft. Three cutlass measutments make 6ft. A stick of 6ft measured ten times gives 60ft.

Once you understand this dynamic, then you can move to the next level...pricing.

Depending on your negotiation skill and the thickness of the bush, an alapin is between 700 naira to 1000 naira to weed.

Bear in mind that you will provide feeding too per person at the rate of N200 per head for breakfast. You might decide to add lunch if you are nice. The nicer you are, the cleaner your work is.

Thanks
Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by OLAMIMO12(m): 9:28am On May 16, 2015
Denn:
I have seen situations where some 'internet farmers' have cleared each acre for N30,000 using the same labourers that I use at N800 per alapin.

Even the labourers laugh at them...in my presence. They jocularly tell me they cant come to work tomorrow because there is a new mumu in town. Someone paid N8000 per plot to clear farm land.!!! What will he be planting? Gold?
Denn, if you start without correct information and good research, no way my brother, you will fall victim of such a mess. Talking from experience.How to handle labour in your locality is a must aquired knowledge. When i started I used to listen to a friend in the village where my farm is located........ not knowing that he has no farm. He was in charge of bargain with the labourers although in my presence. He took no hidden commission......sincerely speaking. Before I know it, i have being extorted. Thank God it was a few plots.
Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by deking(m): 12:39pm On Sep 19, 2018
Denn:
Farm labour demystified...

Farm labour in Nigeria is simple if you understand the dynamics.

First, understand the community in which the farm is located. Do some ground work. Get to know who the real farmers are. It would be surprising to note that the indigenes are not usually the farmers. For example, in the Yoruba community where my farm is located, the real farmers are people from Benue and cotonu.

Second step is to identify the leader of the farming community. Hold your discussions with the leader. This is to provide for accountability.

Now the main part..you should understand the local unit of land measurement... Not the plots or acres or hectares. If you speak in acres or hectares, it is a tell tale sign that you are a 'book farmer' and there are chances that you would be cheated....seriously.

In yoruba land,the local unit of measurement is alapin. An alapin is 60ft by 60ft. That is approximately half of a plot of 120ft by 60ft.

An alapin is measured using a cutlass on a stick. The length of a new cutlass is 2ft. Three cutlass measutments make 6ft. A stick of 6ft measured ten times gives 60ft.

Once you understand this dynamic, then you can move to the next level...pricing.

Depending on your negotiation skill and the thickness of the bush, an alapin is between 700 naira to 1000 naira to weed.

Bear in mind that you will provide feeding too per person at the rate of N200 per head for breakfast. You might decide to add lunch if you are nice. The nicer you are, the cleaner your work is.

this effectively means average cost of weeding 1 plot ranges 1400 to 2000
1 acre will be around 8000 to 10000
1 hectare 25000

I have quoted the prices assuming you got discounts. these are based on the analysis above.
Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by deking(m): 12:41pm On Sep 19, 2018
You must and should measure your land before you start farming else you would be ripped off. There are free android software that allows you to do this seamlessly.

Regards.
Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by gbowoade463: 1:02pm On Sep 19, 2018
@solbash, it's ok bros. lets continue with meaningful contributions. we are talking of what is practicable in this present economy of this nation. i hope we will get to the level mikollo is eyeing sooner.

12 Likes

Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by Izzymore(m): 10:52am On May 21, 2020
YOU REQUEST* * WE PROCESS* *WE DELIVER*

Day old Broiler...
Day old Cockerel...
Day old Noilers...
Day old Pullets...
Black Pullets....
Brown Pullets...
Day old Local turkey..
Day old putted turkey
Point of Lay.....
Old Layers....
Ducks....
Eggs....
Parents Stock...
Vaccines....
Frozen chicken....
Frozen turkey...

Bookings/order placements;
Call: 08042110512, 08136290387
Whatsapp: 07036023050

Happy Birds�, Happy Farmer* �‍�
Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by abolaji62(m): 11:38am On May 21, 2020
Abro perishable and vegetable fruit seller of Nigeria
Can help you sells all your crop you have in farm like
Tomato marrow cucumber green pepper sweet corn water melon
Green chille rodo okro and etc ..our own is just to remove 10% in any price we sell it, for more info you can cantact us on :shop10 mile12 international market lagos or call 09033053043 or join our whatsapp group: https:///KBcyu9I1fXiBznKaBpLPZt ....thanks
Re: Farmers: How Do We Manage With Labour by Mercybasseyudoh: 2:57pm On May 22, 2020
Are You A Farmer?
An Agent?
Or A Farm Input Dealer/Seller?

Here is an opportunity to be your own boss:
As a farmer you can hire tractors from @tractoronthego and have our tractor work on your farm for just a token fee of 15000 Naira per hectare.

As an Agent, you too can be your own boss by referring clients to hire @tractoronthego for their tractor operation and get commission with other side earnings. Register using this link: https://tog.ng/stog/tog/sales/togagent.php

To the farm input dealers/Seller (Agro Dealers): You too can become an agent by referring clients to use our tractor for their tractor/farm operations and get commisions/other side earnings. Register using this link: https://tog.ng/tog/sales/togagent.php

Log onto www.tog.ng or call:08106077777 for more.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Vegetable Seeds, Seedlings And Hybrid Suckers with picture / 100% Raw Organic Cocoa Butter And Cold Processed Coconut Oil!!! / Buying Of Oron Crayfish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.