Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

**Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** (29700 Views)

Nigerian Men In USA, Killing Their Imported Wives From Nigeria. / Man Feels Guilty Everytime His Wife Reigns Curses On The Men Who Raped Her. / Nigerian Men & 'Come To My House' Syndrome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Owliver(m): 7:14am On Apr 29, 2015
Sacluxpaint:
My mother's type is very scarce, successful career woman, despite her busy schedule , she still used to find time to cook very delicious soup. And when my dad stopped being the breadwinner for a while, she supported the house very well. In today's society, such women are very rare.
God bless your mom. If we had more of her type we wouldn't worry. God bless your dad too jare

2 Likes

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by zeongeon: 7:15am On Apr 29, 2015
Vickybee:

Must men want women to worship them? Jeez!

Even if she's not successful that doesn't mean she should worship him. For what?

Respect is reciprocal. Husband and wife should respect each other, irregardless.
Men need respect and in turn they give out love and that respect has to start from d woman's side while the love starts from d man's side.

Yes its a must women respect men and if possible "worship" men or else that love and attention which is like oxygen to U pple will be severed...

2 Likes

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Abbey2sam(m): 7:17am On Apr 29, 2015
@op your assessment is biased and one sided, i've come across very successful women and they have this don't approach me look if your bank account is not shapeless written all over their forehead, though we have the submissive ones among them....

the worst ones are those born rich, believe me you have to be in her circle to even talk to her not to talk of approaching her, this kinda women are very hard to control at home except you guys are both rich

@op nigeria is not there yet

1 Like

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by viruz007(m): 7:18am On Apr 29, 2015
I haven't read to the last page so hope my comment won't be out of place.

OP spot on topic. It's a tad annoying when I see men cowering away from young successful ladies all because they feel that she would be disrespectful. Respect is earned. So she pays ur 50k+ bills one time, pay the bills the next time. Many of the ladies you feel will be disrespectful are actually some of the most humble people but because you are limited by a single story syndrome, you feel she's a no go area.

I have a friend who is not so buoyant financially compared to his gf but that has for one day never been an issue. Even when he teases her that she earns more she says away and does mock anger and I smile at them both.

Simple rules of nature, God has made u the head, depends on you and how you carry yourself.

P.S Girl pay my bill of 52k+, Choi show me that babe lemme show her that I no dey fear wink cheesy

My 2 kobo though
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by okotv(m): 7:18am On Apr 29, 2015
Gynacologist:
ol earz?
explain
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by jnrbayano(m): 7:19am On Apr 29, 2015
pickabeau1:
OP .. whats your point

I think you are trying too hard

You have not even defined what a successful woman is?

Is it the mouthed ones who because they have good jobs suddenly think they know it all in a relationship?

Is it those who focus on their careers to the detriment of their kids and families

Is it those who don't acknowledge the headship of their husbands and second guess him everystep of the way and even slap him in the face when he has a small financial challenge

whats your point

: Rapmoney

Correct man
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by lordyugo: 7:19am On Apr 29, 2015
Its nt really dat black and white, dr r grey areas. Men thrive on ego and women on vanity(shiny thins n flashy thins). As a man ur first instinct is to provide and wen u cnt it deflates ur ego. For a woman d first instinct is to let ur man provide for u and wen he cnt u believe he doesnt luv u and ul probably lose respect for him irrespective d woman is rich, she wants u to b d provider. So atimes its far more dn feeling inferior bt a subconscious reaction. And its nt jus particular to Nigerian men dt assumption is wrong it crosses all boundaries. Naturally u want a womans wealth to complement urs, I dnt believe u should control ur woman cos ur richer or u dnt want her to succeed to fuel ur ego. Bt one thin is certain it takes a really God fearing woman who is far richer dn u to respect u, a womans attraction towards u is sustained wen she sees u as a provider .God in his infinite wisdom made it like dat.

4 Likes

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by hedonistic: 7:26am On Apr 29, 2015
Call it whatever you like, but God knows I can't tolerate a woman who thinks financial or career success makes her "all that" in my reckoning. All I need is a womanly woman, judged purely by her womanliness, if you know what that means. Extra naira and kobo in your account means nothing to me, especially not when you're going to shove that in my face by being pompous or full of shiit. Take that shiiit to a gigolo who is interested in your money. Not me.

1 Like

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by adahgold(m): 7:26am On Apr 29, 2015
bukatyne:
Nigerian society measure the headship or 'goodness' of a husband based on his pocket.

They also see the headship as a license to do as they wish aka unquestionable grin

A typical Nigerian husband wants to be the 'head' So his pockets has to be heavier than that of his wife.

A number of women do not want to marry a husband that is not the 'head' cheesy

Some of the women who earn higher are also very heady too

well said dearie.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Owliver(m): 7:28am On Apr 29, 2015
viruz007:
I haven't read to the last page so hope my comment won't be out of place.

OP spot on topic. It's a tad annoying when I see men cowering away from young successful ladies all because they feel that she would be disrespectful. Respect is earned. So she pays ur 50k+ bills one time, pay the bills the next time. Many of the ladies you feel will be disrespectful are actually some of the most humble people but because you are limited by a single story syndrome, you feel she's a no go area.

I have a friend who is not so buoyant financially compared to his gf but that has for one day never been an issue. Even when he teases her that she earns more she says away and does mock anger and I smile at them both.

Simple rules of nature, God has made u the head, depends on you and how you carry yourself.

P.S Girl pay my bill of 52k+, Choi show me that babe lemme show her that I no dey fear wink cheesy

My 2 kobo though
talking about single story. I think yours is the single story here cos people have given negative instances and here is just one positive one. No one is saying there are no rich humble females but they are too few to win this argument my friend. Well, what will I feel intimidated for if she doesn't show a filty character? Absolutely nothing.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:28am On Apr 29, 2015
There's really nothing wrong with a successful woman. With my observations, I've Come to the realisation that the pride and "fifty Shades o' thickness" they naturally develop aS they climb the ladder o' Success can be attributed to the fact that they face a lot o' challenges in their places o' work and might have been subdued because they're "women". For this reason, they develop certain features that make them stand out as the woman amongst other women in their careers. however, it is really difficult to draw the line when they get used to these behaviours. Bottom line is...no matter how Successful a woman is, it is up to the man to show her where her career life ends.

My opinion

1 Like

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 29, 2015
bettercreature:
The fact still remains,successfull women are no go area,
they are not a wify material
they are proud
they are lazy at home
they believe they are smart
and they lack respect
some of them care about their body than their baby or their husband
if you dont believe me go and try one today and come back here to give us a feed back

let not say successful maybe over ambitious women
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:31am On Apr 29, 2015
Tallesty1:
Married? I think No?

Dated an independent woman? I guess NO too and yet you are talking?

Isn't experience the best teacher?

Do you think wife and girlfriend are thesame thing?

Do you have friends that are married to richer women? Have you visited them at home to see how they are being treated?

FYI, Nigeria men are not scared of successful women rather they are scared of control freaks. The type of woman that only feels good about herself if she makes you feel less than her. These are the women that my brothers are scared of.

I have said this before and I will say it again, every man prays for his wife to be successful too. That's why most Igbo men I know open shops for wives once they marry them so that they will start hustling. Are you saying that they open shops for these women and then turn around to pray against their success?

You amaze me op.

Most men insist that their wife must be a graduate, why?

Don't just jump from nowhere and start writing stuffs just to get likes without researching your topic properly. Sha, you have given some half-baked-feminist on here something to talk about but who cares?

NOW LISTEN.

Picture a woman who has personality disorder, someone who automatically become enraged or sullen and withdrawn if she doesn’t get her way. Someone who needles you endlessly until you capitulate, someone whose mood becomes buoyant as she cuts you down. Someone who makes you feel useless, disoriented and helpless.

Then picture where this woman is richer than her husband.

What Do You See?

LISTEN AGAIN.

There are things one needs to succeed in business and work. These things are direct opposite of what we need to have successful marriage and most of these successful women do not know where to cut the line.

To succeed in business, you have to be stubborn, in control etc. Bring these things into your marriage and you are fuked. Some successful women would rather blow the house up and everything in it than compromise or take personal responsibility. Who Wants This?

Women Naturally want to exert control over everything. They enjoy to make those around them feel inadequate, insecure, nervous, angry, anxious and physically sick.

Go to married men that have richer wives and ask them, they will tell you that the message their women pass in everything they do is I don’t trust you to be able to do it right; I don’t respect your judgment; I don’t think you are competent; I don’t value your insight. I can do it all alone

Money brings out the demon in everybody and most women do not know how to control this demon yet.

I Have A Feeling That You Are Eyeing A Rich Sister.
I think the problem is that many women expect their husbands to be more successful than them. In a case where they (women) are more successful, they automatically feel the man is inadequate and not man enough for them. They feel they deserve better, a more successful man. My opinion though.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Rapmoney(m): 7:31am On Apr 29, 2015
Bluetooth2:

Stop being judgemental. It's part of an average man to want to provide for his wife and the African culture only made it traditionally conspicuous because almost all the responsibilities fall on the man.

In the west, the responsibilities are shared between the couples which remove pressure on the men unlike in Africa or Nigerai where the man has to do all the spending even when the woman has her own money. It's not really about inferiority complex but the feeling of damnation as regards not being able to perform his roles as dictated by African settings.

PS- if you want to know how it feels, stop working and let your wife takes all the responsibilities. Come back and tell us who's the boss.
People who hold this mentality might die young due to undue financial pressure!
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by rittyben(f): 7:31am On Apr 29, 2015
Tallesty1:
Married? I think No?

Dated an independent woman? I guess NO too and yet you are talking?

Isn't experience the best teacher?

Do you think wife and girlfriend are thesame thing?

Do you have friends that are married to richer women? Have you visited them at home to see how they are being treated?

FYI, Nigeria men are not scared of successful women rather they are scared of control freaks. The type of woman that only feels good about herself if she makes you feel less than her. These are the women that my brothers are scared of.

I have said this before and I will say it again, every man prays for his wife to be successful too. That's why most Igbo men I know open shops for wives once they marry them so that they will start hustling. Are you saying that they open shops for these women and then turn around to pray against their success?

You amaze me op.

Most men insist that their wife must be a graduate, why?

Don't just jump from nowhere and start writing stuffs just to get likes without researching your topic properly. Sha, you have given some half-baked-feminist on here something to talk about but who cares?

NOW LISTEN.

Picture a woman who has personality disorder, someone who automatically become enraged or sullen and withdrawn if she doesn’t get her way. Someone who needles you endlessly until you capitulate, someone whose mood becomes buoyant as she cuts you down. Someone who makes you feel useless, disoriented and helpless.

Then picture where this woman is richer than her husband.

What Do You See?

LISTEN AGAIN.

There are things one needs to succeed in business and work. These things are direct opposite of what we need to have successful marriage and most of these successful women do not know where to cut the line.

To succeed in business, you have to be stubborn, in control etc. Bring these things into your marriage and you are fuked. Some successful women would rather blow the house up and everything in it than compromise or take personal responsibility. Who Wants This?

Women Naturally want to exert control over everything. They enjoy to make those around them feel inadequate, insecure, nervous, angry, anxious and physically sick.

Go to married men that have richer wives and ask them, they will tell you that the message their women pass in everything they do is I don’t trust you to be able to do it right; I don’t respect your judgment; I don’t think you are competent; I don’t value your insight. I can do it all alone

Money brings out the demon in everybody and most women do not know how to control this demon yet.

I Have A Feeling That You Are Eyeing A Rich Sister.
This is the reason why i have being crushing on this guy. He always the truth just the way it is.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:32am On Apr 29, 2015
Pelmet:
There's really nothing wrong with a successful woman. With my observations, I've Come to the realisation that the pride and "fifty Shades o' thickness" they naturally develop aS they climb the ladder o' Success can be attributed to the fact that they face a lot o' challenges in their places o' work and might have been subdued because they're "women". For this reason, they develop certain features that make them stand out as the woman amongst other women in their careers. however, it is really difficult to draw the line when they get used to these behaviours. Bottom line is...no matter how Successful a woman is, it is up to the man to show her where her career life ends.

My opinion

those ones will never listen o, you will hear them say if my husband really loves me he shd be willin to support me in my career(what i do)
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:32am On Apr 29, 2015
Tallesty1:
Kataway YouYou don't even have a boyfriend yet you are talking about what most men want.

How many men have you been with to know what we really want?
I have a boyfriend, Tallesty.

Been with? I have been with many.
If you mean dated, then only one.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by zeongeon: 7:33am On Apr 29, 2015
Rapmoney:
You should know this is not a universal phenomenon but particular to Nigerian men. What does this show? It shows that Nigerian men are still holding on to that assumption that shows men have the exclusive right to be the successful ones only! That's where am coming from cool
Yes and there is nothing wrong with thinking men have the exclusive right to be the successful ones only, that's why nigerian men trying to be hard working to live up to that expectation because in africa/ the world sef a measure of a mans success is his capability of being able to provide for the needs of the family...every man wants to be able to provide for the needs of d family and play the role of d head to d fullest.

On the other hand a womans success is rated on her ability to keep the home..in nigeria when woman is greeted what follows is how is husband and children no one bother to ask about her certifications etc.

It has being ingrained into the d minds of men that they should be more capable of providing for the family and even more successful than the women "cause that's d way it should be"..

Its not about inferiority complex its about living up to the expectations of being a man.

1 Like

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 29, 2015
Dandeson1:
women like you might prolly end up a single mother or a divorcee... Just saying
Beyonce, Adichie, Hilary Clinton etc share my view and they have a happy marriage than the so-called non feminists.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 29, 2015
keyman0007:

those ones will never listen o, you will hear them say if my husband really loves me he shd be willin to support me in my career(what i do)
oF course he should support her career but She should know it's all about the family when she gets home. T
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:38am On Apr 29, 2015
Vickybee:

Must men want women to worship them? Jeez!

Even if she's not successful that doesn't mean she should worship him. For what?

Respect is reciprocal. Husband and wife should respect each other, irregardless.
Who's talking about worship?
We're all created to worship one and only TRUE GOD, the creator of the universe. The owner of our lives.
And as for husband and wife, ther're to love, repesct and care for one another.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:39am On Apr 29, 2015
bukatyne:
Nigerian society measure the headship or 'goodness' of a husband based on his pocket.

They also see the headship as a license to do as they wish aka unquestionable grin

A typical Nigerian husband wants to be the 'head' So his pockets has to be heavier than that of his wife.

A number of women do not want to marry a husband that is not the 'head' cheesy

Some of the women who earn higher are also very heady too

Lol. I just love your analysis.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by bayulll01(m): 7:40am On Apr 29, 2015
cococandy:
my dear you will only feel inferior if you're really inferior as a person compared to Your partner. Money or not.
So if a guy feels inferior to his woman, he's probably truly inferior.

If you're a great quality person, even the one with money will respect you willingly or unwillingly.
You will just command the respect without trying to.

I can never be inferior,never infact we will even open joint account,is only in nigeria such things happen,if the money does not enter her head,and she gives me my respect and acknowledge am the head of the family,I have to problem with her earning more than I do
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Fratello(m): 7:41am On Apr 29, 2015
OP, pardon me, but all -Fratello- can deciphy here is "sb giving is truest opinion based on what he has seen, read & heard." yh?
... Well, as to your views, my contribution is directed you: smiley fuvcing work hard and just try date a Lady that orders/controls money for just 1 week( ose kan pere) and tell us if you(your views) will remain the same lol.
However, i'm not disputing the obvious fact that some guys/men have the inferiority mentality in 'em tho. Above all, ion fuvc care bout who is richer, i just want a Home, a Wife, a Mother to my kids & I and a Helper; if her money spirit cant let us have that, then we gon live "separately bt married."

#PeacefulHomeOverRiches.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Tallesty1(m): 7:41am On Apr 29, 2015
Rapmoney:
To sum up ur post, we should get married to poor women that we can order around abi?
I don't want to order anybody around and I don't want anybody to order me around.

Most successful women are control freaks, the remaining few are difficult to find.

Marriage is so serious a business that no man would go into with a troublesome partner.

The only time you will see guys rushing after the successful sisters is when they change "For better for worse" and "Till death do us part" to "Till she start messing up do us part".

Thanks.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 29, 2015
Rapmoney:
People who hold this mentality might die young due to undue financial pressure!

You are the one that's not getting it. I'm not against women empowerment but equality is totally bullshiit when you do everything for her. You paid dowry, cloth her, feed her, house her, do everything for her when she has her money yet you still feel a man doesn't possess any leadership role ? Btw, are you married ?
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Thankz(f): 7:45am On Apr 29, 2015
YOU ARE AN IDEAL MAN...........................the world is running out of men like u, and people like u get very successful cos thats God's view of how men should think ....
InZA:
I was discussing this same topic with someone this past weekend. The truth of the matter is, I have a very high impression of myself that some people may feel borders on pride, In other words, low self esteem is not an issue that affects me at all, there are very many things I'm personally proud of that eat up any trace of low self esteem if ever it suggests itself. That said, I can't even date a girl that has a car(I don't have a car yet) not to talk of getting married to a girl that's more FINANCIALLY placed than I am.

It has nothing to do with inferiority complex, as far as I'm concerned it's more about being responsible for my peace of mind. Show me a single lady that's rich and well to do, and I'll show you a lady that has been thickened with 50 layers of re-enforced pride and arrogance(It's just natural). The flip argument here will be "Ohh not all well to do single ladies are cocky"....As true as that may be, those who are not cocky only represent a tiny fraction compare to those who are.

So why date or marry a lady who would trash you down at the slightest opportunity. Forget all this hyper-civilization BS....I'm a man and it is my place to be the head, by being the head it doesn't mean she becomes a slave, not at all, but it means she allows me be the man i'm supposed to be by leaving the responsibility of taking care of her to me. What type of a relationship would I be in if I know that my woman doesn't need me or value me because her money has given her everything she could possibly need. I want to be a man, to take care of my woman, I want her to need me in a healthy, loving way that fans my sense of responsibility to her......I could go on and on really,but the bottom line is...Well you know what the bottom line is grin

1 Like

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Nobody: 7:51am On Apr 29, 2015
elantraceey:

will you get married to a woman who is far richer than you without feeling inferior at times?

That's a very nice question. Some folks just know some theoritical stuff and they think they know all. They only get to realize the shit they have gotten themselve into when it is time Practicalize it.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by tuniski: 7:51am On Apr 29, 2015
Twaci:
There was this story I heard one time, a guy saw a girl in a shopping mall and approached her. They talked...gisted was more like it and even exchanged numbers.

The guy didn't call back and refused to pick her calls later on. Why?

"She paid my bills -" he had replied.

And I asked myself, so what? But then he finished his sentence. "- it was worth N52, 500"

More to that, another thing that had got to him was the fact that the girl drove off in a sweet ride while he had hailed a taxi.

Thanks for the info Rapmoney, hope guys read and understand this.
Hmmm that doesn't in anyway, show she is a wife material! It is not inferiority to avoid ladies who are materially more successful it is called choice! Anyway, it is slave mentality to say some societies don't care so they have 'superiority' over nigerian men! Afterall, divorce is highest in such societies. However, having a woman grow to more success is desirable when already married or u could be termed gold digger even by the ladies. In all, marriage is overrated.

1 Like

Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Blitz888(m): 7:52am On Apr 29, 2015
Rapmoney:
So why do men in other climes not having same thinking if it is not a false trashy societal belief held by Nigerian men?

Op, I disagree with u intoto.
You're in error for wrongly generalizing that Nigerian men feel inferior to their more successful female counterparts.
The feeling of inferiority or low self-esteem is first an individual thing and should not be generalized.
Secondly, everyone has got his or her class and so it's advisable u marry/mate within your league.
Ultimately, people's respect is not commanded or solicited for but earned.
And lastly, I don't think there is anything trashy about a persons way of life or believe system and who says men in other climes are any different.
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by Gerrard59(m): 7:52am On Apr 29, 2015
[color=#990000][/color] The only word I am seeing here is CONTROL. One begins to wonder why MOST Nigerian men are so fixated on the ascept
of controlling their fellow human being.

I have vowed never to marry an unsuccessful, docile woman .
Re: **Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** by isaacjohn82(m): 7:52am On Apr 29, 2015
elantraceey:

you're right but sadly they don't know this and that's why they'll continue to feel inferior.

am following u .
i really wnt to knw u
mail me isaacjohn82@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Challenges Of Being A Man In Our 'modern' Society / The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Siblings Prank Their 10-Year-Old Sister For Stealing Their Mum's Wine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.