Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg (39317 Views)

Ahmed Musa Considering Legal Action Over Reports He Beat Up Wife / Dangote Reiterate Desire To Buy Arsenal FC (transcript And Audio) / Aliko Dangote Still Considering Buying Arsenal FC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Nobody: 7:18am On May 05, 2015
Arsenal Ownership Remains Wish for Richest African After Rebuff
by Paul Wallace

Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, said he still wants to buy English Premier League soccer team Arsenal even after he was rebuffed by its owners in 2010.

Nigeria’s Dangote, an Arsenal fan worth $15.7 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, discussed buying a stake in the club five years ago before talks with the owners fell through, he said. Since then his wealth has grown more than sevenfold.

“I still hope, one day at the right price, that I’ll buy the team,” Dangote, 58, said in an interview as he traveled on a plane owned by one of his companies between the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa and the Nigerian commercial hub of Lagos on May 1. “I might buy it, not at a ridiculous price but a price that the owners won’t want to resist. I know my strategy.”

Arsenal is one of England’s most successful clubs, having won 13 top flight league titles in the country, the most after Manchester United and Liverpool. Arsenal Holdings Plc., the owner, trades on the ICAP Securities & Derivatives Exchange, or ISDX, and is valued at 988 million pounds ($1.49 billion).
A successful bid would make Dangote the first African owner of a club in a league where billionaires including Russia’s Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea, and Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan, who controls Manchester City, have acquired teams.

Stan Kroenke, worth $5.6 billion and owner of the National Football League’s St. Louis Rams, holds 67 percent of Arsenal, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Red & White Sec Ltd., controlled by Uzbek billionaire Alisher Usmanov and Farhad Moshiri, owns 30 percent.

Cement, Gas

Dan Tolhurst, a spokesman for the London-based club, declined to comment as did Rollo Head, a spokesman for Usmanov in London. Tomago Collins, a spokesman for Kroenke in Denver, did not immediately respond to e-mails requesting comment.

Dangote has interests in sugar and flour and controls Dangote Cement Plc, Nigeria’s biggest publicly traded company. He is investing $11 billion in a 650,000 barrel-a-day oil refinery near Lagos and as much as $2.5 billion in gas pipelines running to the city from Nigeria’s oil-rich Niger River delta region.

His wealth has fallen by $2.7 billion this year, the sixth-most globally, according to the Billionaires Index.

Dangote, who ranks 55th on the index, said he’s too busy with existing projects to mount a bid now.
“We have $16 billion-worth of investments in the next few years,” he said. “Right now I want to take my own business to a certain level. Once I finish on that trajectory, then maybe” an offer will follow.

Limited Success

Most English Premier League matches are broadcast live in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, by Supersport, a satellite television channel owned by South Africa’s Naspers Ltd.

Arsenal won the FA Cup, England’s main knockout tournament, last year, its first major trophy since 2005, and is in the final of the same tournament this year. Over the last decade London rivals Chelsea have won the English league four times as well as the European Champions League and several other trophies.

Arsene Wenger, who has managed Arsenal since 1996, has been criticized by fans including Rwanda’s President Paul Kagame for the team’s limited success in the last decade. Dangote said he is often too nervous to watch their games. The team beat Hull 3-1 on Monday with two goals from Chilean striker Alexis Sanchez.

While Wenger has managed the club well from a financial standpoint, he “needs to change his style a bit,” said Dangote. “They need new direction.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-04/arsenal-ownership-remains-wish-for-richest-african-after-rebuff

5 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by shakazuldadon: 7:20am On May 05, 2015
he cant

why can't he buy hull or Sunderland and make them a force to be reckoned with.....

by the way how many Nigerian clubs has he bought or sponsoring..

81 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by ritababe(f): 7:21am On May 05, 2015
I pray make e happen

6 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by kelvyn7: 7:23am On May 05, 2015
grin

hahahahaha grin

this joke is funny ooo

grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Medley(m): 7:25am On May 05, 2015
This thread would have been better placed if its in the sport section.

Football money is easy on return on investment,this will surely make him richer,knowing that arsenal has a large reach and fans.
Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by M4gunners: 7:26am On May 05, 2015
I can't wait to see this happen.Sai Dan baba we will appreciate that. As of the first guy that comment keep hating why your mates keep prospering.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Nazeeboy(m): 7:28am On May 05, 2015
That would be great. If he buys it I will be an Arsenal fan...........buh wait ooooo if he buy am and arsenal still go 10 yrs without title nko, no profit. He go sell am ni or what?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Mnewton(m): 7:30am On May 05, 2015
badt investment

1 Like

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by efilefun(m): 7:30am On May 05, 2015
Well Nigerian clubs are being sponsored by the states government except very very few that's why the league is still lacking behind when compared to other countries
shakazuldadon:
he cant

why can't he buy hull or Sunderland and make them a force to be reckoned with.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by chamboy(m): 7:31am On May 05, 2015
Who would pay for the ridiculous Transfer Fees

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by omenka(m): 7:34am On May 05, 2015
shakazuldadon:
he cant

The way some people reason just leaves one wondering where they were when brains were being given to people. Does he need to buy or sponsor any local club for him to acquire any elsewhere. Is that a criteria in the english FA??

Dangote is a businessman and reserves the right to invest his money where it pleases him. Had the major shareholders agreed to sell their stake, he would have been the owner of the club today and there would have been nothing you or a billion of your kind could have done about it.

44 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by kilokeys(m): 7:36am On May 05, 2015
Medley:
This thread would have been better placed if its in the sport section.

Football money is easy on return on investment,this will surely make him richer,knowing that arsenal has a large reach and fans.

racist fans that would eventually leave after a while..
he should invest in local

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Nobody: 7:38am On May 05, 2015
Lalasticlala front page
Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by RockMaxi: 7:39am On May 05, 2015
As much as Dangote is a businessman, he is free to invest his money anywhere. The beginning of the end for Arsenal FC. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by mrmetoo1: 7:39am On May 05, 2015
He can't buy it. I'm not sure he's ready for the public scrutiny that'll follow. The world will get in on Dangote's dealings not only for accountability but also racism. A cub with a rich English history all of a sudden taken over by an African. The questions, the ridicule will be bad PR for arsenal. All those "how did he become so rich in a nation with so many poor people?" "He's extorting his people, why are cement prices so high over there" "he has used his connections in government to get away with unscrupulous practices" "if he has that much money how come he's not using it to help his country people" etc. Dangote will spend more time defending himself than anything else. They'll find every way to justify it not happening without necessarily saying "we won't let an African own arsenal"

Any chance of that happening, we really need to clean the image of Nigeria. Nigeria has to be seen as a prosperous nation.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Medley(m): 7:45am On May 05, 2015
kilokeys:

racist fans that would eventually leave after a while..
he should invest in local

Manchester United would have been different,but Arsenal i doubt that,Just give them the best players and a strong team winning title. They will hadly think about the owner.

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Nobody: 7:47am On May 05, 2015
A perfectly logical business investment for him and a profitable one at that , Lalasticlala front page
Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by kilokeys(m): 7:47am On May 05, 2015
Medley:

Manchester United would have been different,but Arsenal i doubt that,Just give them the best players and a strong team winning title. They will hadly think about the owner.

there is strength in diversity.. check out chelsea.. racism kills

1 Like

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by bjdon: 7:51am On May 05, 2015
He would be better off buying a club like Newcastle. It would be a lot cheaper, has a massive fan base(sells out every home game over 50,000 seats) and with the right manager (somebody like Dieago Simone) they could be champions league regulars.

9 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Trailblazer1(m): 7:51am On May 05, 2015
is he richer than Roman Abramovic? If yes then let him go ahead but if no, let him try hull city undecided

5 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by shakazuldadon: 7:53am On May 05, 2015
omenka:
The way some people reason just leaves on wondering where they were when brains were being given to people. Does he need to buy or sponsor any local club for him to acquire any elsewhere. Is that a criteria in the english FA??

Dangote is a businessman and reserves the right to invest his money where it pleases him. Had the major shareholders agreed to sell their stake, he would have been the owner of the club today and there would have been nothing you or a billion of your kind could have done about it.

Thanks for the early morning bullet.......

4 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Nobody: 7:54am On May 05, 2015
Aliko Dangote Two words for you: Be focused!

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by FreeGlobe(f): 8:04am On May 05, 2015
kelvyn7:
grin

hahahahaha grin

this joke is funny ooo

grin grin
joke you say? Dangote can afford to buy Arsenal and manchester united together if he wants. he has the money

8 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Samchelsea(m): 8:05am On May 05, 2015
It will be hard for Usmanov to relinquish his majority stake in Arsenal, at worst he'll put more money
Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by bewla(m): 8:05am On May 05, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Nigerian man wan buy ma club?
I know it won't happen

Never
I love transformation
I hate "change"
Quote me to blast me and ya will never make it in life
have u had this song some body said to me u will never make it so i turn around so i turn around cos u no b my GOD

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by shakazuldadon: 8:06am On May 05, 2015
M4gunners:
I can't wait to see this happen.Sai Dan baba we will appreciate that. As of the first guy that comment keep hating why your mates keep prospering.

AS IF EVERY ONE IS NOT ENTITLED TO HIS/Her OPINION.....

DANGOTE AINT MY MATE BUT AM SURE YOUR FATHER AINT AS PROSPEROUS as HIM EITHER....

1 Like

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by Samchelsea(m): 8:07am On May 05, 2015
FreeGlobe:

joke you say? Dangote can afford to buy Arsenal and manchester united together if he wants. he has the money
so longs as he is a black man and Nigerian for that matter, they will still question his source of wealth and the English media will do him no good just like they implicated Amos Adamu
Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by nerodenero: 8:08am On May 05, 2015
If the deal pulls through, the fan base in the North will skyrocket. The people are just unidirectional. They support there own either by hook or crook.
While Wenger has managed the club well from a financial standpoint, he “needs to change his style a bit,” said Dangote. “They need new direction.”
I bet if he owns it, he would definitely chart a new course for the team.
Dangote said he is often too nervous to watch their games.
You are not only nervous, you pray too grin grin. I think they have done well this season but they need to consolidate on this by aiming the EPL title next season though it looks like a mirage grin

1 Like

Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by M4gunners: 8:08am On May 05, 2015
shakazuldadon:

AS IF EVERY ONE IS NOT ENTITLED TO HIS/Her OPINION.....

DANGOTE AINT MY MATE BUT AM SURE YOUR FATHER AINT AS PROSPEROUS as HIM EITHER....
That is if i still have Father . What about your own Father?
Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by dridowu: 8:09am On May 05, 2015
how i wish ds can be true
Re: Dangote Considering Buying Arsenal Fc-bloomberg by shakazuldadon: 8:10am On May 05, 2015
M4gunners:
That is if i still have Father . What about your own Father?

AM COMING LET ME ASK ASUNN WINGER........

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chelsea Players Celebrate Win, Champions League Final In Dressing Room (Photos) / Tokyo2020 Male Basketball: Nigeria Loses To Germany 92 - 99 / Arsenal Players Attacked By Armed Men, Fought Off By Sead Kolasinac

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.