Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,690 members, 7,813,280 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year (24049 Views)

Taiwo Bankole & Oyindamola Omotuyi Graduate With 5.0 CGPA In UNILAG (Pics) / How To Identify First Year Students (Hilarious Photos) / How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by tosyne2much(m): 2:26pm On May 08, 2015
spacyzuma:
In my case, several reasons contributed to my poor GPA in 100 level.

1) Getting used to the new system of modules and university environment. There was a time when two compulsory courses were fixed at the same time each week, so you had to choose which one to go to. ANother situation was having a course in one campus and having another course immediately afterwards, on another campus! Stressful. SMH.

2) Refusing to buy handouts and teacher's books. I went to a very good secondary school where my results were based purely on merit. In university, I inintially refused to buy compulsory materials that some lecturer's made us buy. It was after I got an F in my very first exam that I realised.

3) 100 level was an eye-opener that teachers use exams and results to punish students. Because a student broke the windhsield of a lecturer's car, he punished the whole faulty doing his course. More than 60% got an F. I was lucky to 'escape' with an E.

4) Living in student's hostel was distracting. With plenty guys hosting their girlfriends, playing loud music, cultism, etc...it was hard for me to read in the hostel, and I was scared of reading in class.

It was an experience, but from 200 level, my GPA never dropped again until my final semester.

This was more than 10 years ago.
May God bless you for sharing your experience

2 Likes

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Rapsodee(m): 2:38pm On May 08, 2015
Op's points are on point and it will affect a lot of fresher if not taken note of because some affected me,had 2.1 in first sem....2nd sem results not yet released...but before I resume for next session,I know what I have planned to do....Surely my path is as a shinning light which shines more brighter and brighter till the perfect day.

1 Like

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by awelemma: 2:41pm On May 08, 2015
me came out with upper credit after my OND and I pray to achieve god results as I'm about to go for direct entry to university wink
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by surestme: 2:42pm On May 08, 2015
True but a good foundation and a constant high grade in all courses with less distraction from people and activities will make the end justifiable.
247notire:
OP wat u have said may be true but... Wat will u say abt someone who makes 4.5 in first yr and then ends up graduating with a 2.2? At the end of it all, the end is all that really matters. The end justifies everything.

1 Like

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Holesher(m): 2:51pm On May 08, 2015
Admission processes, registration, not too stable lecture halls, act of teaching being different from lecturing and inability to ask questions. All these affect the students in their first semester in higher institutions
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by tosyne2much(m): 3:03pm On May 08, 2015
mentorandfriend:
First year is a time yo cover for all the deficiencies you will ever have as you progress higher in school. I could have easily made first class if I studied a course where CGPA is used. I made 5.0 in year one first semester and 5.0 in year one second semester. I could easily have done it again in second year if we continued. We started Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology from second year, and CGPA was not used from here onwards till graduation.

How do I know I would have made first class if I did any of the Bsc courses?

I made a decision before I entered school that it was my books first before campus fellowship, social nights, and all that. I was not a nerd. I was simply a guy on a mission.
You have neva disappointed me bro

3 Likes

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Fabzgrace(f): 3:32pm On May 08, 2015
RobinHez:
grin grin grin
y r u laffn lyk dt
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Fabzgrace(f): 3:36pm On May 08, 2015
Lamispaco:
it's a good course,I like it,which year are you?
2nd
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Slimmos(m): 3:43pm On May 08, 2015
Op is very right
My first year first semester was d lowest gp i got which was 3:4 due to all d aforementioned point above. Ever since i hav not gotten below 4 point after learning my mistakes except for my 200 level second semester wic i had 3: 96 no thanks to Assu strike... In my finals now, writing my exam presently. God i dey ur hand.

1 Like

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Donpizzle(m): 3:47pm On May 08, 2015
topefun:
Hmmmm, am on a CGPA of 4.0, let's wait for second semester result sha am in 100level

great start. If u kip up d tempo, u already hv 2.1 in ur bag. Nw u wil hv to increase ur effort to mke 1st class nd join d true elitessmiley
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Abduletudaye(m): 3:47pm On May 08, 2015
tempest69:
Hey guys! There is need for improvement but a lot of sacrifices need to be made!
Sincerely, I started with 3.9 but currently on 4.4 and I've got just a semester to graduate.

I pray you hit the 4.5 mark!
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Donpizzle(m): 3:50pm On May 08, 2015
Slimmos:
Op is very right
My first year first semester was d lowest gp i got which was 3:4 due to all d aforementioned point above. Ever since i hav not gotten below 4 point after learning my mistakes except for my 200 level second semester wic i had 3: 96 no thanks to Assu strike... In my finals now, writing my exam presently. God i dey ur hand.
gudlck in ur finals...u shuld be in a comfortable 2.1 position frm ur comment. Congrats
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Abduletudaye(m): 3:50pm On May 08, 2015
My Gp was indeed very poor in 100L because of most of the reasons OP mentioned. The time my brain woke up, i was already in 300L but i didnt give up. I later left with 3.4...i still thank God coz some left with pass.

1 Like

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Donpizzle(m): 3:53pm On May 08, 2015
Abduletudaye:

I pray you hit the 4.5 mark!
4.5 wont b enuf. I tink he shuld aim at 4.8 or possibly 5.0

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Abduletudaye(m): 3:57pm On May 08, 2015
Donpizzle:

4.5 wont b enuf. I tink he shuld aim at 4.8 or possibly 5.0

True talk sef... wink
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by RobinHez(m): 3:57pm On May 08, 2015
Fabzgrace:
y r u laffn lyk dt
the same reason u said i risked getting a ban 4 wink
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Donpizzle(m): 4:07pm On May 08, 2015
Abduletudaye:
My Gp was indeed very poor in 100L because of most of the reasons OP mentioned. The time my brain woke up, i was already in 300L but i didnt give up. I later left with 3.4...i still thank God coz some left with pass.

ur xperience is very painful....its better to grad wit 3.0 and knw dat its 2.2 than to grad wit 3.4 koz u might b tinkin wat might hv been if u had put in enuf effort.i had a frnd who graduatd wif 3.48, it was very painful.al d same; congrats.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 08, 2015
Fabzgrace:

2nd
okay all the best,it's a new course here in unilorin with a 4years duration
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Fabzgrace(f): 4:12pm On May 08, 2015
RobinHez:
the same reason u said i risked getting a ban 4 wink
lol
I just got banned
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Abduletudaye(m): 4:12pm On May 08, 2015
Donpizzle:

ur xperience is very painful....its better to grad wit 3.0 and knw dat its 2.2 than to grad wit 3.4 koz u might b tinkin wat might hv been if u had put in enuf effort.i had a frnd who graduatd wif 3.48, it was very painful.al d same; congrats.

Abi, its all God..im still grateful
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Fabzgrace(f): 4:15pm On May 08, 2015
Lamispaco:
okay all the best,it's a new course here in unilorin with a 4years duration
4years? what is the degree awarded
cos itz 6years here in uniben
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 08, 2015
Fabzgrace:
4years? what is the degree awarded cos itz 6years here in uniben
Bsc I guess,it's under Faculty of Science
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Fabzgrace(f): 4:24pm On May 08, 2015
Lamispaco:
Bsc I guess,it's under Faculty of Science
ok. ours is OD itz also under d sciences tho n itz 6yr
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Dubemkelly(m): 4:27pm On May 08, 2015
When you enter the university, u are automatically on 5.0 1st class but then this grade gets sucked away af like pipe vandalisation in Niger delta area. When u turn up without remembering your purpose in school, it affects the CGPA. Virtually most people have their worst results in their 1st year n it gets better in subsequent yrs while to some few get their best in their first year. The watch word is to set your priority right and do the needful. Being religious or a party freak has nothing to do with it but your preparedness to get good grades and become a better graduate is KEY

1 Like

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by RobinHez(m): 4:35pm On May 08, 2015
Fabzgrace:
lol
I just got banned
seriously? cheesy
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Fabzgrace(f): 4:38pm On May 08, 2015
RobinHez:
seriously? cheesy
Banned by the antispam bot in Webmasters for this post. Ban expires on 2:19pm On May 09 cheesy
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by RobinHez(m): 4:42pm On May 08, 2015
Fabzgrace:

Banned by the antispam bot in Webmasters for this
post. Ban expires on 2:19pm On May 09
cheesy
hahahaha...welcome to the club sis! u're now an official member of the ex-ban team! grin
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by Fabzgrace(f): 4:52pm On May 08, 2015
RobinHez:

hahahaha...welcome to the club sis! u're now an official member of the ex-ban team! grin
thnks brom m honoured grin
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by adeabi: 5:20pm On May 08, 2015
My start was very poor with 2.76 cgpa 100l first semester due negligence of aforementioned points but after discovered myself, I latter graduated with strong 2.1 from Unilorin '14 (Engineering)

2 Likes

Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by croSStodds(m): 5:44pm On May 08, 2015
Fabzgrace:
thank God my first year gp was higher than 4point cheesy
my course doesn't even really need gp sef sad
What course Is that?
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by daveP(m): 5:59pm On May 08, 2015
Hmmm, really true.

Some in my school are already convinced that since bill gates finished with a 3rd class and is an employer of thousands of 1st class fellas........ It sounds unrealistic to give as base for not targetting 1st class or at least a safer zone (provided talent is sparking upstair; recall that talent is on low-emphasis in Nig Univ-#Fact)

And the labour market seems to be whispering otherwise..... That's that.

As for me i know when, where and how to better on the class i am in. 4pointer till year 4 by Fire.

The OP's points are icebergs to students' Titanic. Avoid them early and tactifully.

(lowers intonation)

Chima is 1st class Biology, year 3. He organizes Parties like anything, and makes sure there are 4-6 welcome parties for fresher, asides others he plan. He'l dance with them and all that, unknown to them that this guy is something else when it comes to focussed, productive reading. SMH.
Re: Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year by bregeard(m): 6:41pm On May 08, 2015
No 8 was actually d course I had a very low cgpa in skool... I misused my freedom.. really wish I can turn back d hands of time so I can correct my mistakes...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB Application Statistics By Faculty | Universities, Polytechnics & Coes / UNILAG Announces Closure Date, Directs Students To Vacate Campus / Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.