Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,425 members, 7,836,696 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation (39253 Views)

National Open University Headquarters In Abuja In Pictures / The Advantages Of National Open University Nigeria / The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nobody: 6:16pm On May 10, 2015
clemz88:
y are you so pathetic. Are trying to categorize polytechnic graduates as less worthless people or the HND holders as non graduates. Don't be a bigot

I knew someone would totally miss the point. You miss the point. I am actually praising the non-university academics. Abroad, these class of students are far more likely to be employed than graduates because employment is part experience, part law and part qualifications. A company that cannot afford to pay for a masters holder based on HR principles will look for an equally experienced HND holder .. Both Graduate and HND holder are judged on experience.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by barbiegirl4luv(f): 6:17pm On May 10, 2015
I guess this is as a result of their exclusion in writing jamb. In nigeria now, any graduate that doesn't have a jamb admission confirmation can not go for service, in ur final year u will be asked to go and check ur admission confirmation. Am sure if they start writing jamb it will be reversed.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by harrysterol(m): 6:19pm On May 10, 2015
nzeobi:
I even suggest buhari should ban that NYSC stuff, the only thing people do there is just to go take pictures.
Every graduate should be given like 500k to venture in agriculture or something else and not wasting one year wearing khaki and T shirt around.
My opinion though
I concur 100%

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by clemz88(m): 6:19pm On May 10, 2015
metorichmond:
I am doing my master now @ open university sha. Hp coys won't tell me nonsense when out for jobs with big pay. Loool.
me too thought of gettg form for post graduate bur people aint supporting it .I'm tryg to look for another solution to it
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by kelvin1994: 6:21pm On May 10, 2015
NOUN is a very good school... bt hey students in NOUN should not be discouraged about NYSC....jst focus on getting a degree dats all... God doesn't need an NYSC certificate to blees his children Lol...
am a student of uniben bt my bro attended NOUN bt currently working in SHELL warri... Bleep NYSC wat u need is GOD and connection

3 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by clemz88(m): 6:22pm On May 10, 2015
voltron:

I knew someone would totally miss the point. You miss the point. I am actually praising the non-university academics. Abroad, these class of students are far more likely to be employed than graduates because employment is part experience, part law and part qualifications. A company that cannot afford to pay for a masters holder based on HR principles will look for an equally experienced HND holder .. Both Graduate and HND holder are judged on experience.
understood! Go in peace for your sins are forgiven. Sin no more
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by barbiegirl4luv(f): 6:27pm On May 10, 2015
persius555:
Education is of the mind. It has nothing to do with the four walls. A lot of cultists have passed through the four walls and they have become plagues to the society. Conventional university or Open university, the student reserves the right to make the best of what either of the two has to offer. Nigeria and undue, un-necessary discrimination. SMH....

I can feel u r a convam MUMU. If u want to serve pass ur jamb and go to a university. U pipu go to that skul cos u want to eat ur cake and have it at the same time. It's not possible for u to see a promising child/student with a bright future then leave all universities and pick NOUN.

Most of their students are drop out from skuls or they are not ready to sit down n read. I have so many pipu there and I know what am saying.

Then y dnt u stay in ur house n read then give urself certificate at the end of ur reading if it is not of the mind. undecided
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by just2endowed: 6:31pm On May 10, 2015
tinuolababy:
Lobatan
Whats the meaning of lobatan? Just asking
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by darelar(m): 6:35pm On May 10, 2015
AbuuUsaamah:
This is what happens when you think you are smarter than your counterparts who go through a lot studying in the four walls of a classroom.
and felt that NOUN students are studying in one wall of classroom? Guy need to know more about the institution by making enquiries from those that school there.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by JigsawKillah(m): 6:42pm On May 10, 2015
coolhamid:
. what do ye mean? I dont understand

oh
same here grin
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Helkayklassic(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2015
nzeobi:
I even suggest buhari should ban that NYSC stuff, the only thing people do there is just to go take pictures.
Every graduate should be given like 500k to venture in agriculture or something else and not wasting one year wearing khaki and T shirt around.
My opinion though

Seconded

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Ninilowo(m): 6:44pm On May 10, 2015
brownlord:
National Year of Sex and Comfort NYSC?...just ban that silly programme and stop sending graduates to Place of Promiscuous Activity PPA...

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 10, 2015
Not every building with names that end with university is actually a university. How is NOUN a proper university... Some body stays at home and attends lectures at will..sit for exams and bam!! a graduate,waiting for service?? If NYSC can bar federal university of agriculture umudike,how much more noun..?
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 10, 2015
nzeobi:
My opinion though

500k For like millions of Nigeria's every year ? ? ?

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by sirTesco(m): 6:50pm On May 10, 2015
Iamsynord:
haa..My friend Chibuzor that stayed at home for 4 years..and finally went to Open university to study law for five years.. So he no go do NYSC ??
My guy way never get babe way day hope say na NYSC camp God go do am..choi
why u dey cast d guy na.
U r lucky doesn't mean u were in anyway better than him.
Becareful!
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by honour6(m): 6:56pm On May 10, 2015
Your school should Go to court, sue NYSC and law school, simple. Since its unconstitutional to ban any nigerian graduate from these institutions
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by nzeobi(m): 7:00pm On May 10, 2015
chuna1985:

500k For like millions of Nigeria's every year ? ? ?
Allawi for twelve months is 250k + 65 k spent on uniform and all the money spent on feeding them in camp.
Their state governors can also contribute 50k each.
Baba its possible just believe.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by nzeobi(m): 7:04pm On May 10, 2015
bushdoc9919:

The last time something like the subject was broached......there was weeping and gnashing of teeth all over.

NYSC is here to stay....unless you want raised levels of low literacy (NYSC corpers virtually run our rural schools these days....).
Here we are talking of empowerment and not short time teaching that adds nothing to the system
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by ojodombe(m): 7:07pm On May 10, 2015
Govt should therefore abolish dt NOUN of a thing or give graduates of d said school equal Regard wt dia fellow graduates of oda universities. This Nigeria Govt is confused. Anyway CHANGE is here in about 19 days, it will kick off.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by funcampus: 7:08pm On May 10, 2015
Education is your right, your right to know is in your hands. Check out the Free University of Nigeria (FUN) here and enroll yourself for the best of education that will put you at global status.

Click www.freeuniversityofnigeria.org to start.
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 10, 2015
It's very bad indeed. Is noun doesn't approved by the nuc
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by ademasta(m): 7:11pm On May 10, 2015
Plz who is that person comparing NOUN with conventional universities? I pray God open their eyes to see how i am just laughing them! Back then as an engineering undagraduate, ABU Zaria, i suffered from the hands of profs like Bajoga, prof. Gulma(1st Hod, elect dept), even Dr Adegboye etc. To crown it all, when i was placed under Late Prof. Madacson(ABU 1966 set, and also the first professor of Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria) for final year project supervision.... I think the Op and his supporters shd undastnd wht i meant!
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nyckeh: 7:13pm On May 10, 2015
I have no sponsor, been working since I left sec sch to cater for myself and family, sponsored myself all tru my OND days (did part-time) now 'm sponsoring my bro who is doing full time. Want to further my education but can't leave my job as there is no one to sponsor myself and my bro, been thinking of enrolling in NOUN but wt wat 'm reading here........just so confused, I really needs an advice

1 Like

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by chikahenry(m): 7:19pm On May 10, 2015
Dis nysc stuff shuld converted 2 A one year compulsory military service it I'll b nice
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 10, 2015
This topic shouldn't have enter the front page

@op if you want to participate in NYSC THEN FOLLOW THE NORMAL PROCEDURE AND DONT ATTEND THAT NIGHT LESSON CALLED OPEN UNIVERSITY. EVEN YOU YOURSELF KNOW SAY YOU NEVER ENTER UNIVERSITY YET
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by mechanics(m): 7:28pm On May 10, 2015
A federal govt institution sidelining a federal govt institution, something must b done, but wat i read was dat only d law graduates were rejected?
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by emperorchedda(m): 7:29pm On May 10, 2015
This guy really wants to flex camp and his service year that's the reason for this long epistle. Oga NYSC is not your only source of enjoyment tongue
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by ademasta(m): 7:30pm On May 10, 2015
Nyckeh:
I have no sponsor, been working since I left sec sch to cater for myself and family, sponsored myself all tru my OND days (did part-time) now 'm sponsoring my bro who is doing full time. Want to further my education but can't leave my job as there is no one to sponsor myself and my bro, been thinking of enrolling in NOUN but wt wat 'm reading here........just so confused, I really needs an advice
NOUN would be ok in your case, as it gives you time to read at your own pace, assemble in school maybe 2 or 3 times a year for collection of exam materials and the exams itself. So, just continue with your job while you use the other hand to run your NOUN...(ABI YOU SELF WAN SERVE BY FORCE?) But as per sounding youths out there, say NO to NOUN for now. Who knws, things may change for good with NOUN later!
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Sherville(m): 7:31pm On May 10, 2015
bilms:
OPEN UNIVERSITY: BARRED FROM SERVING THE NATION
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

Let me begin by asking a question, is it right to bar some citizens from serving the nation without the basis of law? I think not, but as it stands, graduates of the first of its kind National Open University of Nigeria has been officially barred or excluded from serving our father land. This should be a source of concern to all meaning Nigerians. After the end of the Civil War, the leadership of the country thought of a way to re-unite the country in an effort to bridge the fracture caused by the civil war, and after much deliberation, the National Youth Service Corp was given birth to. According to SECTION 1 of the NYSC decree, it states that, there is hereby established a scheme to be known as the National Youth Service corps (in this Decree referred to as "the Service Corps"wink. The decree states that, the objectives of the service corps shall be: • to inculcate discipline in Nigerian youths by instilling in them a tradition of industry at work, and of patriotic and loyal service to Nigeria in any situation they may find themselves • to raise the moral tone of the Nigerian youths by giving them the opportunity to learn about higher ideals of national achievements, social and cultural improvement • to develop in the Nigerian youths the attitudes of mind, acquired through shared experience and suitable training, which will make them more amenable to mobilization in the national interest • to enable Nigerian youths acquire the spirit of self reliance by encouraging them to develop skills for self employment • to contribute to the accelerated growth of the national economy • to develop common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration • to remove prejudices, eliminate ignorance-and confirm at first hand the many similarities among Nigerians of all ethnic groups • to develop a sense of corporate existence and common destiny of the people of Nigeria In order to achieve the objectives in this decree, the service corps shall ensure: o that the Nigerian youths are exposed to the modes of living of the people in different parts of Nigeria o that the Nigerian youths are encouraged to eschew religious intolerance by accommodating religious differences. The above are the reason for the establishment of NYSC. However, it was a surprise that today, the same NYSC which was founded to bridge divide has now resorted to discrimination without basis. This is against the principle of the scheme. Going through the NYSC decree, those qualified to participate in scheme were well spelt out. SECTION 2 of the decree states that: Subject to the provisions of this Decree, every Nigerian shall: • if, at the end of the academic year 1972-73 or, as the case may be, at the end of any subsequent academic year, he shall have graduated at any university in Nigeria ( ANY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA) Since this law has not been changed or the decree amended, it is a gross offense and flagrant disobedience of the laws of our land to exclude Open University graduates from the NYSC. Here we can see that, nothing in this decree indicate that students from Open University are not qualified, it only informed us of the purpose of this scheme which is to build capacity of the Nigerian youths and imbibe the culture of national service, tolerance and accommodation in them. However, rather than admit graduates of Open University into the NYSC scheme to serve their fatherland, the National Youth Service Corps governing council without any basis, continue to exclude the first of its kind institution. They designate Open university as excluded, and the graduates are given what they call, exclusion certificate to indicate that they have been officially excluded from serving our nation. This is a grave injustice. Let me note that, this exclusion certificate was alien to the NYSC Act. What the act recognize is exemption certificate, but only some categories of people are qualified for the exemption. Exemption certificate is different from Exclusion certificate. According to amended NYSC act: Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this act, with effect from 1st August, 1985, a person shall not be called upon to serve in the service corps if; at the date of his graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification - • He is over the age of thirty. • He has served in the armed forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months. • He has been conferred with any National Honour. • He is member of staff of any of the following, that is: i. the Nigerian Security Organisation ii. the State Security Service iii. the National Intelligence Agency iv. the Defence Intelligence Service As we can see in the above, these are the only categories of people that are qualified for NYSC exemption certificate, nothing like exclusion certificate was ever mentioned in the NYSC act, but because the governing council of the NYSC are bent on denying our institution equal rights of participation for reasons best known to them, they introduced what they call exclusion, which they dumped on the faces of distinguish NOUN graduates. It is quite disappointing that, after 4 years of academic grinding, plus hard work in an institution with no equal, where you have obtained the best of knowledge under a properly guided system devoid of any form of examination Mal-practices, what you get is discrimination from some government establishments. It is important to note that, Open University is a federal university, accredited by the same National University Commission which accredited other institutions in the country. For no reason should her graduate be sidelined,as this would discourage prospective students from enrolling in the institution,thus defeating the purpose for which it was created.

We have seen all over the world that graduates of Open Universities are accorded front seat roll, they are seen as people who deserve first class treatment. Nigeria shouldn’t ignorantly relegate this noble institution and its distinguish graduates, they cannot be relegated. Many students from this university feel pained when they see other graduates in the youth corps uniform moving about their places of assignment. They wish that one day, it would be them in those uniforms, holding their head high in service to their fatherland, but this dream seems to be under threat, as graduates after graduates, the discrimination yet continues. I therefore call on those in authority to desist from this discrimination, failure of which the students would be forced to drag the NYSC to court for legal redress. Finally, we are aware that the president have the power to resolve this issues without further delay, as the NYSC act states that, the President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces may, by Order published it, the Gazette, extend the application of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section to other categories of Nigerians who shall have obtained such diplomas, certificates or other qualifications as may "be prescribed in the Order from universities, colleges and other institutions of higher learning within or outside Nigeria, and the Order may specify different dates for call-up in relation to different categories of those affected or to be affected by the Order. Therefore, the president should as a matter of urgency, intervene to correct this unjustifiable exclusion of Open university graduates from National Youth Service.

Abdulrazaq O Hamzat Congress of Noun Students

This is a great issue that needs urgent redress, I believe the fed knows what's to do,restricting NOUN graduate from serving is discriminating,ABDULRAZAQ u re very GBASKI
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 10, 2015
Proudly a student of NOUN! I can conveniently compete with any student in a coventional university.

NYSC or not, doesn't matter to me. It'll only slow me down.

4 Likes

Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by Raxxye(m): 7:42pm On May 10, 2015
jamesbridget13:
its well
Babe, I see you!
Re: Open University: Barred From Serving The Nation by BaddieKay(f): 7:44pm On May 10, 2015
barbiegirl4luv:

I can feel u r a convam MUMU. If u want to serve pass ur jamb and go to a university. U pipu go to that skul cos u want to eat ur cake and have it at the same time. It's not possible for u to see a promising child/student with a bright future then leave all universities and pick NOUN.

Most of their students are drop out from skuls or they are not ready to sit down n read. I have so many pipu there and I know what am saying.

Then y dnt u stay in ur house n read then give urself certificate at the end of ur reading if it is not of the mind. undecided

The people u know there how do they write their exams and assignments if u claim they don't read?I seriously don't believe a dull fellow can imagine being a NOUN student... Anyways Back to Reading,have exams 2Mao morning

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8 Common Academic Related Slangs In Nigerian Universities / Redeemer's University Slashes Postgraduate Fees, Msc. & MA Now Tuition Free / Olabode Wale Ojoniyi Reacts To "Sex Scandal Video"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.