Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,130 members, 7,849,543 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:54 PM

New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage (50704 Views)

Why Do Things Change After Marriage? / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / 40% Of First Borns Are Not From Their Fathers- Dna Expert Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 12, 2015
truthalways:
I recently noticed that our newly wedded ladies are retaining their fathers name after marriage. You hear names like Bisi Johnson-Adekunle, Evangeline Ojukwu-Chukwuma or Halima Haruna-Ciroma. Guys can you allow this and ladies why are you doing this? grin

Did women take their husbands last names in Nigeria prior to the introduction of European/Western culture?

2 Likes

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrCork: 6:17pm On May 12, 2015
truthalways:
I recently noticed that our newly wedded ladies are retaining their fathers name after marriage. You hear names like Bisi Johnson-Adekunle, Evangeline Ojukwu-Chukwuma or Halima Haruna-Ciroma. Guys can you allow this and ladies why are you doing this? grin

F****NO..... My last name or she gets tha f***** out... B!tch!! (No ofeeensce) angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by An2elect2(f): 6:20pm On May 12, 2015
coolhamid:
Thanks dear... but women of nowadays don't see it so.... they want to have their surname included...

These women you speak of are so shallow in reasoning. They make bogus statements to cover their stupidity and short sightedness. Am ashamed of them.

Genesis 5:2

"Male and female created he them; and blessed
them, and called their name Adam, in the day
when they were created." king James

They were called Adam. Other translations have it as Mankind. Whichever way, God intended it that the man's name should always dominate!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nickymezor(f): 6:20pm On May 12, 2015
Na their choices ooo. No biggie ..shez still ur wifey nw ...datz wat matters. ..well, for me I wont include it abeg...
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by donbenedict(m): 6:20pm On May 12, 2015
Hollamydey:
In my place where I come from, infact in d yoruba land as a whole d bride price is usually returned back to the groom nd his family right there @ d wedding in d front of every guests
then its not a bride price! That reminds me of a new topic am gona create now grin. Watch out for it on d family section
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by donbenedict(m): 6:21pm On May 12, 2015
cao:

I didn't know you were signed up to a mail-order bride delivery service...Wow, you learn something new everyday. grin
abegi.. That's d way it suposed to be grin.. Deal wid it
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Bsmartt(m): 6:21pm On May 12, 2015
It is allowed. I don't have a problem with that if my wife decides to stick with her father name. Understanding is what matters.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by DoctorMcgruff: 6:22pm On May 12, 2015
I dont care, doesnt make or break my marraige, my wife of 17 years kept her fathers name cool

1 Like

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Beface(m): 6:22pm On May 12, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Did the MEN not retain their fathers' names? wink
Say NO TO SEXISM!!!! kiss
Even the bible said seven women will fight to bear our name (ISAIAH 4:1). It's a pride for ladies to forsake their father's name and bear their husband's name.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 12, 2015
Heaven knows that I am never going to use my husband's name. Lucky for me, my religion expressly prohibits it. grin .

3 Likes

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:24pm On May 12, 2015
Hollamydey:
B4 nko, am still d daughter of my father. Besides am married 2 my husband nd nt sold 2 him so I still have d right 2 maintain by father's name nd dat of his, ko fa ija rara.....#my opinion
ya mama dey answer her papa nname?
Ya papa go tidy u to get kids and keep the home?
Well, that one nah for the western region.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrsChima(f): 6:24pm On May 12, 2015
mmsen:
A feminist idea that a woman should be able to retain her identity after marriage.

To be honest I have no issue with it.

She carries both names, not just her father's name.

That's incorrect. Feminist stance is that a woman can choose to take her husband's surname or not. The key word is CHOOSE

1 Like

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 12, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
It's not a new craze. It's only a means to curtail the stress of name change on documents and all that.

If I can go through the stress of providing the dowry and other demands her kinsmen levy on me, she better be ready and willing to go through the stress of changing names on those documents. Hopefully, I won't be marrying a lazy woman. grin
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by gnykelly(m): 6:27pm On May 12, 2015
Hollamydey:
But that should nt be an issue 4 men since their name would still be included in our names

Islam permit ladies to retain her father name. Id possibly I marry i will permit my wife if she so desires.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 12, 2015
...Its good if a man doesn't complain, he could easily remarry a serious lady after ten years cheesy. She's not answering his name ofcos, they were only dating.

1 Like

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 12, 2015
Beface:

Even the bible said seven women will fight to bear our name (ISAIAH 4:1). It's a pride for ladies to forsake their father's name and bear their husband's name.

I reject the mentality that would make me proud to forsake my father's name and bear a name of a being that could dispose of me however and whenever he chooses! I reject that mentality in God's name.

3 Likes

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by mmsen: 6:28pm On May 12, 2015
MrsChima:

That's incorrect. Feminist stance is that a woman can choose to take her husband's surname or not. The key word is CHOOSE

How is what you different from this?

"A feminist idea that a woman should be able to retain her identity after marriage."

You do your cause no good by arguing for the sake of it.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 12, 2015
Timbuktou:

If I can go through the stress of providing the dowry and other demands her kinsmen levy on me, she better be ready and willing to go through the stress of changing names on those documents. Hopefully, I won't be marrying a lazy woman. grin

See manifestation! You are who you are because of a man. Your life is nothing without us.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:30pm On May 12, 2015
agarawu23:
iranu jatijati grin
the funny part is the selfish fathers didn't allow their wives retain their own maiden names, but want the daughter to retain...it all boils down to no love and a condescending spirit
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by lampardizik(m): 6:31pm On May 12, 2015
They all feeling independent and shizz
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by flairlady(f): 6:31pm On May 12, 2015
I wont even add his surname at all.It is not crazy,understanding between the couple is what really matters.I know of a couple where the man also took up the wife's surname,the man is not Nigerian though.

4 Likes

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 12, 2015
That is the first sign of a troublesome union IMO*
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by mambiyoo(m): 6:31pm On May 12, 2015
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by mambiyoo(m): 6:32pm On May 12, 2015
So if a woman whose name is Sandra ikenna-nwakwo gets married to a man whose name is Kenneth tunde-ajimobi... what will be the surname of there offspring? undecided
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by dyabman(m): 6:32pm On May 12, 2015
MrsChima:

Submission in the bible indicated BOTH parties in the marriage...not just the woman.

The bible also speak about loving the woman as Christ loved the church...do you think Jesus will forsake you if you choose not to do some things in your freewill? So whys the hypocrisy?

Somethings are being done right before we were born and few of those things in marriage as we are speaking of has affected us positively with pride as couples. We youth of today try to do something new something different and right now such improvised idea of putting your surname even after you are married as a lady seems disrespecting and distracting to the union. #myopinion.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Forwetinnah: 6:32pm On May 12, 2015
Ehen?? Kilowa sele??
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by lampardizik(m): 6:33pm On May 12, 2015
Justfollowit:

I reject the mentality that would make me proud to forsake my father's name and bear a name of a being that could dispose of me however and whenever he chooses! I reject that mentality in God's name.

Then why say your vows??

Makes no sense
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 12, 2015
Justfollowit:

See manifestation! You are who you are because of a man. Your life is nothing without us.
Sweety, you come across as psychotic. Seriously, like you spray gallons of spit when you speak. Easy babes. Life ain"t that hard. You can put your point across without sounding like a conductor vehemently refusing to pay Union dues in the early morning.

Meanwhile, either sex needs the other. There's no need to be sentimental about us being nothing without yall, it goes both ways, it isn't exactly the finding of the century. Therefore, keep the roles and keep the peace. With age should will come maturity for you, I hope.

PS: What do you look like btw, you come across as vertically challenged with a flat chest and oversized rump. Am I right, or am I right?

3 Likes

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 12, 2015
An2elect2:

These women you speak of are so shallow in reasoning. They make bogus statements to cover their stupidity and short sightedness. Am ashamed of them.

Genesis 5:2

"Male and female created he them; and blessed
them, and called their name Adam, in the day
when they were created." king James

They were called Adam. Other translations have it as Mankind. Whichever way, God intended it that the man's name should always dominate!

That is the Bible undecided

My Qur'an clearly distinguished men from women. No one is arguing against the superiority of men however I reject every nauseating and unnecessary situations men create to feel superior where any reasonable human can tell that the superiority rule does not apply.

1 Like

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 12, 2015
Justfollowit:

There's really no law that mandates anyone to get married. I promise you, you stand no legal risks of you refused to get married. I'm sure Oprah is a big mentor of yours, you can always keep a man with whom you can have sexual relations, we will understand. Seriously, why get married with a chip on your shoulder? And you claim to be modern, and enlightened,smh. Pfft.
Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by MrsChima(f): 6:39pm On May 12, 2015
Beface:

Isaiah 4:1 speaks of women will marry a married man just to say that they are married and to bear his name is a sign of marriage in those days.

When it spoke of seven women. It was given an example number of how desperate women were back in the days to marry. It has nothing to do with honoring a surname.

Women didn't have much rights back in the days and for a woman to live well.. she has to be married. If she was unmarried by a certain age she was considered not marriageable.

It was a fit for survival back then and I am willing to bet those seven women didn't love that one man that they "fought" to bear his name. As I said....taking a surname doesn't improve quality of life nor marriage

3 Likes

Re: New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 12, 2015
Timbuktou:

Sweety, you come across as psychotic. Seriously, like you spray gallons of spit when you speak. Easy babes. Life ain"t that hard. You can put your point across without sounding like a conductor vehemently refusing to pay Union dues in the early morning.

Meanwhile, either sex needs the other. There's no need to be sentimental about us being nothing without yall, it goes both ways, it isn't exactly the finding of the century. Therefore, keep the roles and keep the peace. With age should will come maturity for you, I hope.

PS: What do you look like btw, you come across as vertically challenged with a flat chest and oversized rump. Am I right, or am I right?

Haha, you wish tongue

You are the low-lifer here. The one that needs his ego to be massaged every now and then to feel like a ‘man'.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Missing Fiance Star Michael Ilesanmi Is Seen Being Abused By Wife Angela Deem / My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views / Boy Fights With His Father In Abia For Not Giving Him Money For Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.