Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 - Travel (193) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 (708821 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 10:47pm On Jul 11, 2015
ddbluv:

How will they do that? Also, do they get to know who & who has received visas form those they sent I-20?

Yes they do because the embassy will send alert and it also serve as documentation and records as well
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by ridimic1: 10:47pm On Jul 11, 2015
kcolyy:
Hello house, il love to share my transcript. Am sorry it's coming late. Been occupied with work. Had it on the 22nd of June, 2015. It goes like this...
My interview was scheduled for 6.30 am Walter Carrington. I got to the embassy exactly 6am. We waited till 6.30 before the process finally started with the screenings. I was told to go and take another passport that the one I had wasn't so clear. This got me disorganised BT I was determined to stay calm and focus. Finally after the queue it was about 8.30 when it got to my turn..
V.o: Hello good morning
Me: good morning with a smile on my face
V.o: so what are you goin to do in the US
Me: am goin for a masters degree in clinical psychology
V.o: how many schools did you apply to?
Me: 5 schools
V.o: can you list the schools
Me: university of pennysylvania, Emory university, western kenturcky university, Eastern Illinois University, San Diego state university, and Montana state university
V.o: so why did u pick the eastern illinois university
Me: The curriculum aligns with what I want. The class ratio is 16:1, this gives me better access to my professors and Charleston is a pretty safe town.
V.o: can u tell me what the curriculum entails?
Me: it's 1 year course work and 1 year internship which gives you both the classroom and real life experience.
V.o: So who is funding this program
Me: I got a full tuition waiver and a graduate assistantship position which attracts a good monthly stipend.
V.o: congratulation u can pick up ur visa a week from now cos of some technical problems
Me: Thank you with a smile on my face.
Il like to thank everyone on this thread. Av learnt so much from you guys. I kept on reading through people transcript on this thread while at the embassy bfr we got in. It really helped. I really hope this transcript would help someone. I wrote both Gre and toefl. . GRE .. verbal 156, QA 162... Toefl 102. Thanks Peeps!
congrats

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 10:48pm On Jul 11, 2015
alfonso36:
Dude you the bomb thanks man, i appreciate but dont get tired cuz i will be coming for more questions.

Let's give the thanks to God..

We no dey tired here and other will response if i am not available at the moment
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bbdd: 10:49pm On Jul 11, 2015
tunedhey:
Hello my senior colleagues, I need help o.. My WES status has been like dis for up to 3weeks now, pls any advice on wat I can do?

Go to your schools department that handles transcript and ask for your documents.
Ensure they send the verification in time.
The earlier the better.
Some schools verify by email. Be sure to ask if they can explore that option because it's faster.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 10:49pm On Jul 11, 2015
profojah:

Thats the belief... God go do am!.
I saw your post about your babe on the other thread on Thursday.. Laff turn my belle cheesy

Na wa oooooooo grin grin grin

Your search engine too badt
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bbdd: 10:51pm On Jul 11, 2015
meritdee:

This ehn! Just this!!! I wish too o my brother.... The verbal section is from hades. I've only managed to score above 150 once in the verbal section practice tests I've taken after intensive studying of hellish words. The Quant is pure fun.

Read the new yorker mag every morning. Especially the art section. It'll make you come up to terms with dense literature and boring write ups.

Then study new words at least 10/day.
When dealing with passages, everything is inside the passage. You should make sure you check the passage again to verify your answers. It's a slow but sure process if you work at it.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by wiseman2392(m): 10:53pm On Jul 11, 2015
@slimmy05
Pls are u in ETSU ? If yes I wud be very happy to know u more. Pls kindly reply me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 10:53pm On Jul 11, 2015
samnoah:
#Personal thoughts

You know often time we refer people to part 1-6 of this thread I'm kind of thinking of what can be done to make accessing the right info easier. Sincerely, to go through Part 1-6 of this thread is serious thing and it is required for people who need indept understanding and also have alot of time at hand.But what about those who just came to know this thread a few days to their interview and wanted to read interview transcripts of others within the shortest time possible? I am kind of thinking the search process can be optimized in order to be able to search for interview transcript s without having to go through the whole ensemble of information. Something like the way we searh using the harsh tags on twitter. Please guys, what is our take on this? We may need to let @seunosewa and his team know this.

From a designer's point of view, users are critical stakeholders who can make better suggestions and that is why I'm asking what we think.

#Justmythought.

CC:
Imperiouxx
Justwise
Bigfrancis21
GboyegaD
Slimmy05
Others

I said something similar on this to Justwise sometimes ago when someone was looking for a particular post and i also said someone can use a command on NL to search for a particular post and it will just bring it up but he said no such since he doesn't have the power and only the Admin can do that or so

I believe Mr seun can do something like this and similar to the # tag you mentioned above but if people dont make use of that, i dont think what people are searching they will get it directly maybe similar or close to it sha.

Maybe searching for a special word like transcript or visa granted or visa approved will do the work better in order to save them stress of reading from part 1 to 6

Although reading through part 1 to 6 will also help and assist them to acquire more experience and side attractions like advise and comment suggested for delayed applicants, e-fighting, jokes etc and not just only the success story experience alone

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Ctemi(f): 10:58pm On Jul 11, 2015
zeezahbee:
You are in Galesburg right ? See inflight enjoyment. Welcome anyways

Yes! Thank sis
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Centrix: 11:00pm On Jul 11, 2015

18 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 11:01pm On Jul 11, 2015
alfonso36:
Dude you the bomb thanks man, i appreciate but dont get tired cuz i will be coming for more questions.

Let's give the thanks to God..

We no dey tire fore here because no power failure and other will response to your question(s) if i am not available at the moment
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 11:08pm On Jul 11, 2015
alfonso36:
just trying to gather as much info as i can get. as for the admission i will definetly get it

SMSU.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 11:08pm On Jul 11, 2015
profojah:

cc walspring
You don get admission already abi you just dey go for flexing

Troy
SMSU
Murray State University

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jul 11, 2015
Currently, how much is the naira conversion of sevis fee. Please, I need to no the exact amount in naira from someone who has an idea. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 11, 2015
wiseman2392:
@slimmy05
Pls are u in ETSU ? If yes I wud be very happy to know u more. Pls kindly reply me
Yeah.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Ctemi(f): 11:20pm On Jul 11, 2015
Urch1980:

Thanks babe...now I'm looking forward to flyinG emirates...
You welcome
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 11:20pm On Jul 11, 2015
shegsky:
Currently, how much is the naira conversion of sevis fee. Please, I need to no the exact amount in naira from someone who has an idea. Thanks.

Its your bank that will tell you or someone in usa when (s)he withdraw

But lemme tell you the truth exchange rate is not #200 for now even though Cbn devalued it to #200
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Ctemi(f): 11:34pm On Jul 11, 2015
adewoleray:
Hello house, pls can someone with HND lower credit get an admission to run masters in the USA ? Is HND qualified to run masters in the US ? HND in engineering from laspotech, Ikorodu, Lagos
Thanks

Yes,very possible all you need do is to evaluate your transcript(ND&HND)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by kessel: 11:42pm On Jul 11, 2015
Centrix:

bbdd, I do not know what your background is or who you are as a person, but I must say you do come across as rude.

"This is a bold face lie". Was that necessary? My point was you cannot and SHOULD NOT label people you barely know and haven't met. That's what I learnt growing up. You CAN communicate with people without such show of aggression.

Now, believe it or not, there ARE schools in the United States that give funding based on criteria other than standardized tests. You claim you are not a novice and yet do not know that some schools waive the GRE requirement for individuals with more than 5-7 years work experience in the field of study they are applying for.

Preparing for the GRE requires lots of time and sacrifice. For one, you'd need to begin preparation at least 2 months to test day if you're hoping for a decent score. Not many people have that type of time on their hands esp those with families and kids. In such cases, it will be unwise sitting for an exam you've barely had time to prepare for because you can always predict the outcome.

Finally, like I stated in my previous post, some individuals (some of whom I know) have sponsors willing to cover the cost of their education but couldn't be bothered about the process of obtaining the admission.

I personally did not want to write the GRE not because I am lazy or as you put it "not academically excellent/ afraid of writing the test), but I had so much going on at the time, writing the test would've been impossible. I eventually did but I'm not going to go into that right now.
Let me give you a little bit of my background. Had my undergrad outside Nigeria at a regional powerhouse, completed my masters in two western European countries (turned down a full scholarship to LSE to attend this program), worked at the United Nations headquarters in New York and started a Phd (but transferring to a diff institution) all before the age of 25.
I imagine, if I had on come here at the time with the question, you'd have called me lazy.

I am not disputing the fact that some individuals are in fact lazy or have other intentions for actually wanting to travel to the US (other than studies), but there are others that are genuinely unable to write the exams for cogent reasons, so labeling everyone as lazy is not right.

I am not going to argue with you on this.

Oh and btw, I had 322 (Q:161, V:161, AWA: 4.5) on the test but I'm still lazy yeah?
@Centrix abeg forgive am, na small pickin dey disturb the guy. Little knowledge he has, he feels he has known it all nd therefore can talk to anyone anyhow.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 11, 2015
Walspring:

Its your bank that will tell you or someone in usa when (s)he withdraw

But lemme tell you the truth exchange rate is not #200 for now even though Cbn devalued it to #200
Yeah, thinking exchange rate is 200 is a pure joke, I made some withdrawals last week and it was 216.12. I was mad, till a friend made a transaction yesterday and was charged 218.49 or so. The lowest I've gotten is 212.3.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Uchlight: 11:53pm On Jul 11, 2015
Is there anyone admitted to University of new haven Connecticut and has gotten his Visa already to come to USA? You could contact me via my email so that we may arrange for an apartment together. I noticed that mere building is costlier than apartment,and on the other hand, apartment is even more conducive and allows you with adequate space than mere houses. let me know ASAP
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bbdd: 11:54pm On Jul 11, 2015
@centrix
You turned coat faster than a magician.
At least if you're going to deceive people about the reality then stick to it.
Stop wavering like a jelly fish... And tell people the truth for once!!!! It's the honourable thing to do.

Your write up about all your achievement (which could be true or false) shows you have a poor image of yourself. You came online to boast to people who don't know you and can't even tell if what you're saying is true just to make yourself feel good.

I'm all for doing the right thing. I don't come here to pick on anyone but please I can't see someone being misled and keep quiet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jul 11, 2015
Centrix:

bbdd, I do not know what your background is or who you are as a person, but I must say you do come across as rude.

"This is a bold face lie". Was that necessary? My point was you cannot and SHOULD NOT label people you barely know and haven't met. That's what I learnt growing up. You CAN communicate with people without such show of aggression.

Now, believe it or not, there ARE schools in the United States that give funding based on criteria other than standardized tests. You claim you are not a novice and yet do not know that some schools waive the GRE requirement for individuals with more than 5-7 years work experience in the field of study they are applying for.

Preparing for the GRE requires lots of time and sacrifice. For one, you'd need to begin preparation at least 2 months to test day if you're hoping for a decent score. Not many people have that type of time on their hands esp those with families and kids. In such cases, it will be unwise sitting for an exam you've barely had time to prepare for because you can always predict the outcome.

Finally, like I stated in my previous post, some individuals (some of whom I know) have sponsors willing to cover the cost of their education but couldn't be bothered about the process of obtaining the admission.

I personally did not want to write the GRE not because I am lazy or as you put it "not academically excellent/ afraid of writing the test), but I had so much going on at the time, writing the test would've been impossible. I eventually did but I'm not going to go into that right now.
Let me give you a little bit of my background. Had my undergrad outside Nigeria at a regional powerhouse, completed my masters in two western European countries (turned down a full scholarship to LSE to attend this program), worked at the United Nations headquarters in New York and started a Phd (but transferring to a diff institution) all before the age of 25.
I imagine, if I had on come here at the time with the question, you'd have called me lazy.

I am not disputing the fact that some individuals are in fact lazy or have other intentions for actually wanting to travel to the US (other than studies), but there are others that are genuinely unable to write the exams for cogent reasons, so labeling everyone as lazy is not right.

I am not going to argue with you on this.

Oh and btw, I had 322 (Q:161, V:161, AWA: 4.5) on the test but I'm still lazy yeah?
If despite your situation you still squeezed out time for the GRE, why then run all the epistle justifying reasons not to? You can get funding without GRE or any standardized test usually in low ranked schools. If you're aiming for a good school you have a lot of bright minds to compete with, your GRE would come in handy. How many here has 5-7 years work experience? the experience as well has to be relevant to the proposed field.

Your undergrad wasn't in US as mentioned, there is nothing spectacular about your profile, those country offers just 2 semesters masters program (9/10 months). Why didn't you and search for schools without GRE or probably apply to other highly ranked schools? GRE score is a bragging right here in US and also a pointer at the embassy. We have great guys here in top schools and would always give credit to writing GRE (ebdib, bigfrancis21 and others). One way you can help low CGPA is acing standardized test.

"Finally, like I stated in my previous post, some individuals (some of whom I know) have sponsors willing to cover the cost of their education but couldn't be bothered about the process of obtaining the admission". I don't believe this brother, except I see for myself. Schooling in US without funding is not cheap at all. I still want to see that uncle who would cover $12k-20k tuition yearly where majority of Americans are taking loans to even fund Associate Degree in a CC school. How much does he earn? Except he is willing to take loans or credit on your behalf. The guy has to be earning minimum $7k monthly to be able to afford the luxury of paying except its a Community College where tuition can be a s low as $3k per semester. Don't get me wrong, parents and direct family blood can if they can afford it, but extended family would only promise, but the bills they have here wouldn't even let them think straight.

I sat down with my uncle to estimate how much he spends monthly, he refused so many times to do that, but he finally agreed.

1. Rent
2. Gas/electricity/phone/internet/cable
3. Insurance for him/wife and two kids.
3. Son and daughters school fees monthly both pay ($500 each monthly).
4. Food and basic household needs.
5. Gas
6. Parking permit
7. Miscellaneous

I can't even remember others, his wife's mum also stays with him. This would keep your mind beating twice as fast when you lose your job.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by femysmart: 12:12am On Jul 12, 2015
Never thought America could be so lonely...
Anybody here in Boston Waltham or its environs. ....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 12:21am On Jul 12, 2015
slimmy05:
Yeah, thinking exchange rate is 200 is a pure joke, I made some withdrawals last week and it was 216.12. I was mad, till a friend made a transaction yesterday and was charged 218.49 or so. The lowest I've gotten is 212.3.

I realise that from here as well... But some people will tell you is #200
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 12:22am On Jul 12, 2015
bbdd:
@centrix
You turned coat faster than a magician.
At least if you're going to deceive people about the reality then stick to it.
Stop wavering like a jelly fish... And tell people the truth for once!!!! It's the honourable thing to do.

Your write up about all your achievement (which could be true or false) shows you have a poor image of yourself. You came online to boast to people who don't know you and can't even tell if what you're saying is true just to make yourself feel good.

Looool.
I'm all for doing the right thing. I don't come here to pick on anyone but please I can't see someone being misled and keep quiet.
You don't need to advice them again. They will fall in US and have it hard, escape route abi. Them go do under the table job old. Allow them pile up flimsy excuses of not being able to write the test, na them sabi. They would run back here later with different ID of running out of status cos they couldn't afford the fees anymore.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bbdd: 12:31am On Jul 12, 2015
slimmy05:
You don't need to advice them again. They will fall in US and have it hard, escape route abi. Them go do under the table job old. Allow them pile up flimsy excuses of not being able to write the test, na them sabi. They would run back here later with different ID of running out of status cos they couldn't afford the fees anymore.

Exactly oooo.
It seems the best thing on this nairaland is to overlook.
Because if you talk they will say you've spoken.

People looking for easy route will naturally support any one that conjures flimsy excuses and lies to them about reality..

LAST LAST THE TRUTH IS BITTER. grin.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by kessel: 1:22am On Jul 12, 2015
slimmy05:
If despite your situation you still squeezed out time for the GRE, why then run all the epistle justifying reasons not to? You can get funding without GRE or any standardized test usually in low ranked schools. If you're aiming for a good school you have a lot of bright minds to compete with, your GRE would come in handy. How many here has 5-7 years work experience? the experience as well has to be relevant to the proposed field.

Your undergrad wasn't in US as mentioned, there is nothing spectacular about your profile, those country offers just 2 semesters masters program (9/10 months). Why didn't you and search for schools without GRE or probably apply to other highly ranked schools? GRE score is a bragging right here in US and also a pointer at the embassy. We have great guys here in top schools and would always give credit to writing GRE (ebdib, bigfrancis21 and others). One way you can help low CGPA is acing standardized test.

"Finally, like I stated in my previous post, some individuals (some of whom I know) have sponsors willing to cover the cost of their education but couldn't be bothered about the process of obtaining the admission". I don't believe this brother, except I see for myself. Schooling in US without funding is not cheap at all. I still want to see that uncle who would cover $12k-20k tuition yearly where majority of Americans are taking loans to even fund Associate Degree in a CC school. How much does he earn? Except he is willing to take loans or credit on your behalf. The guy has to be earning minimum $7k monthly to be able to afford the luxury of paying except its a Community College where tuition can be a s low as $3k per semester. Don't get me wrong, parents and direct family blood can if they can afford it, but extended family would only promise, but the bills they have here wouldn't even let them think straight.

I sat down with my uncle to estimate how much he spends monthly, he refused so many times to do that, but he finally agreed.

1. Rent
2. Gas/electricity/phone/internet/cable
3. Insurance for him/wife and two kids.
3. Son and daughters school fees monthly both pay ($500 each monthly).
4. Food and basic household needs.
5. Gas
6. Parking permit
7. Miscellaneous

I can't even remember others, his wife's mum also stays with him. This would keep your mind beating twice as fast when you lose your job.
If u ve Dangote from the north or Ifeanyi Uba from the east as ur direct relative, do u think paying $20k as tuition wld be a problem to him. I brought up ds topic nd I never made mention of cost or asked for scholarships , why are u guys now drinking panadol fr my headache....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by zeezahbee(f): 1:34am On Jul 12, 2015
kessel:

If u ve Dangote from the north or Ifeanyi Uba from the east as ur direct relative, do u think paying $20k as tuition wld be a problem to him. I brought up ds topic nd I never made mention of cost or asked for scholarships , why are u guys now drinking panadol fr my headache....
That was actually an insult. You don't owe anyone here and we don't either. You can do anything you like.

All posts here are not only for the original poster, some people can actually learn from your case.

Some other people might be reading as a guest nd do not want to write any test.

Any advice you get here is not mandatory for you to follow, you can decide to do your own thing.

Statistics on this thread has it that people who write test actually got funding and visa than people who do not take test. Test makes your credible and ready to the school and the VO

GRE, Sat, ielts and toefl : 90% visa approval

No test : 10% visa approval

Who no like free thing , if dangote or otedola son see scholarship, they will accept it. So regardless of your financial status, we all need freebies.

I have been on this thread for a while and I know how it goes.

Follow your heart and no more insult here. Good luck

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) ... (402)

GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries / North Cyprus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.