Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past (69131 Views)

Pictures From The Boat Regatta Held For Lagos@50 / Pictures From Obodoukwu Festival Held In Imo State / Pictures From Omabe Festival In Nsukka, Enugu State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Lagusta(m): 5:18pm On May 15, 2015
Ify3:

King Jaja was from Nkwere, Imo State before he was sold to slave trade.
Please goggle the history of Opobo to be well informed.

Thank you very much, I'm well informed now....

Thank yoi
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 8:59pm On May 15, 2015
sonjohn994:
i love this with all my heart ... i cant wait to see more

ok thanks with the permission of MzJackBaueress take this one.

the moment of glory:

1.Wole Soyinka receiving the nobel prize 1986
2. Soyinka Today

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by kingston277(m): 10:42pm On May 15, 2015
robosky02:

The first-ever storey building in Nigeria in 1842. Badagry
Rev. Henry Townsend laid the foundation of but the building was completed in 1845 by Rev. C.A Gollmer.

I hope I read this wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 8:51am On May 16, 2015
kingston277:

I hope I read this wrong.

yes you read correctly

the first story building in nigeria built by the missionary Townsend
in 1842

by the way what you are quoting (Manhyian palace) is in Ghana not nigeria and it came much later in 1925.

It (The Manhyia Palace) served as the residence of Otumfuo Prempeh I and Otumfuo Sir Osei Agyeman Prempeh II, K.B.E. the 13th and 14th Kings of the Asante Kimgdom. The building was put up by the British Government for Otumfuo Prempeh I in 1925 who returned from exile in the Seychelles Islands in 1924, to replace the old Asantehene’s Palace at Adum which was destroyed during the Yaa Asantewaa war. The war was fought between the British and the Asantes because of the refusal of the then Asantehene to offer the Golden stool to the then governor of the Gold Coast, as demanded by the governor.

get your fact right thanks
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 16, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
The Tinubu Square erected in 1960. It was formerly called "THE FOUNTAIN OF LIBERTY".

The picture was taken in 1965
Who named it Tinubu square?
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by abohrandy: 9:35am On May 17, 2015
robosky02:

"baba shege" as a young ambitiouse Soldier

see as him uniform twist!!
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by abohrandy: 9:36am On May 17, 2015
robosky02:

the moment of glory:

2. Soyinka Today

we need to shave this guy's hair joor!! maybe na there him jazz dey fall out.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by abohrandy: 9:37am On May 17, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Agbonmagbe Bank. The bank failed to meet the provision of the new banking decree and it was taken over and renamed Wema Bank in 1970.

Still falling hand till date!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by abohrandy: 9:38am On May 17, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Lagos Bus (1973)

colour camera bin don dey by then?
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by KingTom(m): 2:40pm On May 18, 2015
robosky02:

kai never

you are the pilot we are just co-pilot (kingtom and me)

can't help but must make an input cos the tread is just a lovely one.
from the beginning i know we (sorry you) will hit the front page.
thanks for allowing us on board.... nice "colabo" lol

cool cool cool
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by KingTom(m): 2:44pm On May 18, 2015
batstan:

The 3 baddest ever, sitting, same that killed the 4th when he was becoming too powerful .
Conspiracy
Exactly
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by kingston277(m): 4:10pm On May 18, 2015
robosky02:

yes you read correctly

the first story building in nigeria built by the missionary Townsend
in 1842

by the way what you are quoting (Manhyian palace) is in Ghana not nigeria and it came much later in 1925.

It (The Manhyia Palace) served as the residence of Otumfuo Prempeh I and Otumfuo Sir Osei Agyeman Prempeh II, K.B.E. the 13th and 14th Kings of the Asante Kimgdom. The building was put up by the British Government for Otumfuo Prempeh I in 1925 who returned from exile in the Seychelles Islands in 1924, to replace the old Asantehene’s Palace at Adum which was destroyed during the Yaa Asantewaa war. The war was fought between the British and the Asantes because of the refusal of the then Asantehene to offer the Golden stool to the then governor of the Gold Coast, as demanded by the governor.

get your fact right thanks
Says the person who said Europeans built the first story building. I asked if you meant something else because I was showing that story buildings were a commonality in Africa which of course includes Nigeria.

Btw, is this where you got that quote from? http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/visiting-the-first-storey-building-in-nigeria/146113/

"Their contribution to civiization in Nigeria"
"established the first primary school"
"Also in this safe are the earliest form of currency used by the missionaries and slave masters such as the cowries, penny, shillings and Kobe."

Rofl. Seems legit.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 10:25am On May 19, 2015
daxlasaint:

If you werent so insultive and vindictive... your post would actually be awesome, but as it is even when u r making sense you suck major arse
Look in the mirror, you airhead. You reckon it's ok for YOU to back your post with invective, but not others. Practise what you preach or get lost. And no, I couldn't care less about your views - just don't come in here claiming the colonialists did anything major or I'll bury you in facts like I did the other guy.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 10:32am On May 19, 2015
blackprowler:

I didn't look at the name b4 sending the reply. If u look well on this thread, you'll see you're...different. I've wasted my time in the past engaging you. I won't be doing that again
I don't mind being "different" at all. Most Africans suffer deep racial inferiority complex, cannot see anything good in themselves for the life of them, and regard their colonial oppressors as bosom friends. When you try to wean them out of their illusions - using facts - they get nasty. But they still expect you to be 'gentle' with them. I don't play that game. If you are going to be a loud, recalcitrant, tone-deaf Uncle Tom, you'll be treated like one.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by daxlasaint(m): 9:38pm On May 20, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Look in the mirror, you airhead. You reckon it's ok for YOU to back your post with invective, but not others. Practise what you preach or get lost. And no, I couldn't care less about your views - just don't come in here claiming the colonialists did anything major or I'll bury you in facts like I did the other guy.

Funny part is we share the exact same views on this issue but u like the proverbail wounded dog who would bite even the hand trying to soothe its injury... am not gonna get involved in a war of words with u but remember I used the word "awesome" when describing ur views... peace
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by ROYALD(m): 12:16pm On May 21, 2015
nice
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Jerekre(m): 1:01am On Jun 18, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
for those of us who studied physics in secondary school.

You remember Nelkon and Parker physics textbooks? I still have mine.

grin
I can solve almost any problem on heat 20 years after because of this book, wish I had enough sense then to keep all my books embarassed
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by dejavski(m): 2:18pm On Jun 20, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
US participants at FESTAC77 in Nigeria,May 1977

The Year Nigeria's problems started cry
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by dejavski(m): 2:42pm On Jun 20, 2015
simdam500:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2409949_img72243673625611_jpeg_jpeg0ccc17e54ac4de96c0506b57a4f7c5dd

This kids go don born by now ooo shocked grin

Born is an understatement... dem go don turn grannies and great grannies
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by dejavski(m): 2:59pm On Jun 20, 2015
robosky02:

the moment of glory:

2. Soyinka Today

So this man No barb him hair for almost 30 years... angry I wonder how many storeys wey crawcraw and ringworm go don build for there grin
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by davidif: 6:55am On Oct 28, 2016
Fantastic thread.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by davidif: 7:13am On Oct 28, 2016
Octaves:
the truth my friend is, if not for bad govt, we would be on the same level as UAE, Qatar, etc by now. And in my accessment, puting all the baleful effects of colonial administration aside, they ran a more effective govt. U complain about the no of universities and hospitals they built. University has to be viable b4 u build one u cant build one for people that are just embracing education. The 100 UNI's they should have built wouldnt teach them selves. There was University College then. There were standard mission and govt hospitals and schools which standard back then cant be measured up to by what we have today. Power while it didn't reach all the rural areas was adequate to the areas it reached. The federal road and rail n/w was well maintained. There was jobs for school finishers. As much as am not trying to praise collonial rule, i only wanted to point out that our govt hasn't been at it's best in running this country. But you just take umbrage at any body who tells you the truth about how the govt has bn running the country down since independence.

Thanks for hitting the nail on the head. Who knows? Nigeria could have been like Hong Kong today.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by davidif: 7:17am On Oct 28, 2016
robosky02:
The First national team "red devils" now "super eagles". that went on tour to the UK in 1949.

THE SQUAD
GOALKEEPERS: Sam Ibiam (Port Harcourt), Isaac Akioye (Hercules, Ibadan)

DEFENCE: Justin Onwudiwe (Lagos Railway), Olisa Chukwura (Abeokuta), ATB Ottun (Lagos Marines), Isiaku Shittu (Lagos UAC), John Dankaro (Jos), Hope Lawson (Lagos Marine), Dan Anyiam (Lagos UAC), Okoronkwo Kanu (Land & Survey).

FORWARDS: Mesembe Otu (Lagos Marine), Peter Anieke (Lagos Railway), Sokari Dokubo (Lagos Railway), Godwin Anosike (Lagos Railway), Tesilimi Balogun (Lagos Railway), Titus Okere (Lagos Railway), Etim Henshaw (Lagos Marine) and Edet Ben (Lagos Marine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLomfqE3n1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xEXY-lZVMg
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by davidif: 7:21am On Oct 28, 2016
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by lmbnicegirl(f): 9:43am On Oct 28, 2016
good work, keep it coming.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Oba Elegushi’s 2nd Wife, Hadiza Steps Into The Palace 6 Months After Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.