Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,639 members, 7,813,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past (69181 Views)

Pictures From The Boat Regatta Held For Lagos@50 / Pictures From Obodoukwu Festival Held In Imo State / Pictures From Omabe Festival In Nsukka, Enugu State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by ruggedtimi(m): 4:46pm On May 14, 2015
Lilimax:
Okiotie Eboh the first Nigeria Minister of Finance with his wife sad
notice where d bride's gown is tied to....chai
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by wunmi590(m): 4:46pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:
What is so special about these pics? Nigeria was very underdeveloped when all those pics were taken. Most people were malnourished, lived in neglected villages with no electricity or running water. Cars were only for the super rich. Roads were virtually non existent. Illiteracy was the order of the day. Op please stop romanticising misery and deprivation. LIFE IS MUCH BETTER TODAY FOR NIGERIANS.

This is history bro. Let try to appreciate things, some of our young generation have never seen such, and some of the people's picture posted there. Even the then wema bank name and the people that started it is an history to our new generations on NL.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 14, 2015
njays24:
This was before the famous Niger bridge was built se? That should have been a boundary between Nigeria and "Biafra".
Lol, that means, Akwaibom, Rivers, Cross Rivers and Bayelsa would be among South Eastern Nigeria because geographically, it bounded them from other Nigerians.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 14, 2015
Octaves:
You are a colossal slowpoke. You need a brain transfer at Yaba left. Unfortunately, the govt hasn't provided any facility for that and ambulance service aint working. So ur papa may have to haul your lying asz in a wheel barrow. Ediot, in your stewpid mind Naija is perfect. And the governent has been super in providing for the need of the masses.
At least we have Yaba left today where you can attend even by bus or taxi.. Under your colonial superman, there was no such facility, so you were left with your village babalawo. So which situation is better eh? Walking dunce too stupi.d and dumb to appreciate the progress made by his people.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 4:50pm On May 14, 2015
johnbosco97:

You are wrong. He was Igbo man in fresh, blood and spirit. His descendants see themselves as Igbo.
Flesh, actually.

Your Igbo accent. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 14, 2015
wunmi590:

This is history bro. Let try to appreciate things, some of our young generation have never seen such, and some of the people's picture posted there. Even the then wema bank name and the people that started it is an history to our new generations on NL.
You guys can post all these pics but the fact remains that in those days most Nigerians lived in mud huts, walked around barefoot on village dirt roads, with no running water or electricity. They couldn't even afford generators. Owning a bicycle was a sign of 'prosperity'. People were suffering and malnourished. Stop romanticizing the past based on a few select pictures of a tiny elite 'enjoying' in the midst of mass deprivation.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by donem: 5:03pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Lagos Bus (1973)
haha mehn how time flies grin This is my best pick among the lot.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by donem: 5:03pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Lagos Bus (1973)
haha mehn how time flies grin This is my best pick among the lot.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by donkunzman: 5:09pm On May 14, 2015
Look at the shirt. Lux don tey for Nigeria o.
KingTom:
President Yar'adua and his wife Turai at her graduation
Cc: Ishilove grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by armadeo(m): 5:09pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Asaba- Onitsha crossing in 1959.

Na here Chike sleep that year. If you get the point click like if you don't get it you either disnt read as a child or you are indomie generation.

13 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Octaves(m): 5:10pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:
At least we have Yaba left today where you can attend even by bus or taxi.. Under your colonial superman, there was no such facility, so you were left with your village babalawo. So which situation is better eh? Walking dunce too stupi.d and dumb to appreciate the progress made by his people.
the truth my friend is, if not for bad govt, we would be on the same level as UAE, Qatar, etc by now. And in my accessment, puting all the baleful effects of colonial administration aside, they ran a more effective govt. U complain about the no of universities and hospitals they built. University has to be viable b4 u build one u cant build one for people that are just embracing education. The 100 UNI's they should have built wouldnt teach them selves. There was University College then. There were standard mission and govt hospitals and schools which standard back then cant be measured up to by what we have today. Power while it didn't reach all the rural areas was adequate to the areas it reached. The federal road and rail n/w was well maintained. There was jobs for school finishers. As much as am not trying to praise collonial rule, i only wanted to point out that our govt hasn't been at it's best in running this country. But you just take umbrage at any body who tells you the truth about how the govt has bn running the country down since independence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by korexdodo(m): 5:11pm On May 14, 2015
Lawrence Anini and freinds face firing squad! 1987

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Octaves(m): 5:12pm On May 14, 2015
Chike and the River, Chinua Achebe
armadeo:

Na here Chike sleep that year. If you get the point click like if you don't get it you either disnt read as a child or you are indomie generation.

3 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
for those of us who studied physics in secondary school.

You remember Nelkon and Parker physics textbooks? I still have mine.

grin
I only heard about this textbook.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by KingTom(m): 5:24pm On May 14, 2015
donkunzman:
Look at the shirt. Lux don tey for Nigeria o.
grin grin grin
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 14, 2015
Octaves:
the truth my friend is, if not for bad govt, we would be on the same level as UAE, Qatar, etc by now.
Absolute nonsense. UAE has bigger oil and gas reserves than Nigeria, and exports more barrels per day than Nigeria, yet their population is just 24 million. THAT is why they live in luxury. Same as Qatar.

And in my accessment, puting all the baleful effects of colonial administration aside, they ran a more effective govt.
Stop talking rubbish. Your grandparents were stark illiterates. Rather than build power plants, the colonialists imported huge generators to power selected parts of a few cities. Is that what you call effective govt?

.U complain about the no of universities and hospitals they built. University has to be viable b4 u build one u cant build one for people that are just embracing education.
Absolute rubbish. The colonialists seized power in 1897. By 1958 there was still not one university in Nigeria. It takes 60 years to "embrace education" in your dumb head abi? In fact I'm done with you. It's not your fault. Afterall without independence would you not be just another neglected illiterate village farmer? I blame the succeeding black govts for initiating mass education where a dullard like you can benefit and still be yearning for the bush. Ignorant dunce.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by donem: 5:31pm On May 14, 2015
abbeymighty:
Idunmota in Lagos island in early 70's. standing below in the side is lagos tower clock

Nice one man, have seen a lot of vintage cars in the background.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Enoquin(f): 5:32pm On May 14, 2015
adexsimply:
enoquin cheesy

You do know it's a hot day, why you dey call my name? undecided
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by jandukun: 5:43pm On May 14, 2015
Asuokaa:

i thought jaja of opobo was ijaw niger delta does that make him ibo...no offense and no insults just a question

Jaja was an igbo man born in Umuduruoha, Amaigbo, Imo State. He was sold into slavery to Bonny and later founded Opobo Kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Octaves(m): 5:58pm On May 14, 2015
I pity your parents for they are without a child. I'm sure u are one of those internet urchins bashing mr Ben Bruce for speaking the truth about our politicians. Keep supporting mediocrity. May be you attended one malnourished village school with no roof. Thats why you are so dumb. Even without independence (which i love with all my heart), i'd still be an educated muthafucka. Cant say the same about your miserable self. Bye bye.
ROSSIKE:
Absolute nonsense. UAE has bigger oil and gas reserves than Nigeria, and exports more barrels per day than Nigeria, yet their population is just 24 million. THAT is why they live in luxury. Same as Qatar.

Stop talking rubbish. Your grandparents were stark illiterates. Rather than build power plants, the colonialists imported huge generators to power selected parts of a few cities. Is that what you call effective govt?

Absolute rubbish. The colonialists seized power in 1897. By 1958 there was still not one university in Nigeria. It takes 60 years to "embrace education" in your dumb head abi? In fact I'm done with you. It's not your fault. Afterall without independence would you not be just another neglected illiterate village farmer? I blame the succeeding black govts for initiating mass education where a dullard like you can benefit and still be yearning for the bush. Ignorant dunce.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by armadeo(m): 6:17pm On May 14, 2015
Lilimax:

Dem tie wrapper for that guy neck for back abi Na my phone no clear

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by donem: 6:29pm On May 14, 2015
armadeo:

naso ur'e mouthed, as him see SMOG him say no shakin.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by ujoinme: 6:43pm On May 14, 2015
Octaves:
I pity your parents for they are without a child. I'm sure u are one of those internet urchins bashing mr Ben Bruce for speaking the truth about our politicians. Keep supporting mediocrity. May be you attended one malnourished village school with no roof. Thats why you are so dumb. Even without independence (which i love with all my heart), i'd still be an educated muthafucka. Cant say the same about your miserable self. Bye bye.

You dont need to trade insults Rossike is right Nigeria has been better under indigenous rule than under the colonial administration, despite the challenges of leadership by Nigerians which are really signs of growing pains that will begin to wane as we bend the learning curve.

If you do and empirical comparison the colonial Administration 1897 to 1960 = 63yrs
and the indigenous Nigerian Government Administration from 1960 to 2015=55yr which to be honest the military years should not count because it was a period of unmitigated "lootocracy" - stealing without any record or citizen challenge as opposed to stealing under the civilian govt which the records are easily accessible but we only lack the political will to apply the rule of law on the culprits.

You would Agree that Nigeria despite its leadership challenges has impacted the lives of ordinary Nigerians better within a period of 55yrs than the british ever did within the 63yrs they ruled Nigeria.

If you compare the colonial Administration advances and commitment to development of 63yrs of colonial rule in Nigeria with advances made at the same period of time of colonial rule in South Africa or Hong kong where the colonial imperialist were really interested in developing and had intention of settling there, you would agree that their policy and administration of Nigeria was not far from criminal.

3 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Okeycima: 7:04pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Princess Alexandria of Kent dancing with Late Chief Festus Okotie Eboh in 1963
is this the same man that was once our finance minister if yes I saw one of em pics...and I shake ma head becos the kind swag wey em dey form as at that time I come know say no b today corruption start for naija
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 14, 2015
ujoinme:

You dont need to trade insults Rossike is right Nigeria has been better under indigenous rule than under the colonial administration, despite the challenges of leadership by Nigerians which are really signs of growing pains that will begin to wane as we bend the learning curve.

If you do and empirical comparison the colonial Administration 1897 to 1960 = 63yrs
and the indigenous Nigerian Government Administration from 1960 to 2015=55yr which to be honest the military years should not count because it was a period of unmitigated "lootocracy" - stealing without any record or citizen challenge as opposed to stealing under the civilian govt which the records are easily accessible but we only lack the political will to apply the rule of law on the culprits.

You would Agree that Nigeria despite its leadership challenges has impacted the lives of ordinary Nigerians better within a period of 55yrs than the british ever did within the 63yrs they ruled Nigeria.

If you compare the colonial Administration advances and commitment to development of 63yrs of colonial rule in Nigeria with advances made at the same period of time to colonial rule in South Africa or Hong kong where the colonial imperialist were really interested in developing and had intention of settling there, you would agree that their policy and administration of Nigeria was not far from criminal.
Why are you bothering with that dunce? Even the military built thousands of schools throughout the 60s and 70s, one of which I'm sure educated the goat. Some people will worship the white man even if the white man pisses on them morning noon and night. He's conditioned and brainwashed. Don't bother with him.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Okeycima: 7:07pm On May 14, 2015
Lilimax:
na this pics I dey talk about
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 14, 2015
Octaves:

You support and praise 0 universities in 63 years (by white rulers) as ''progress'' while insulting 200 universities in 55 years (by black rulers) as ''mediocrity''. Doesn't that show your head is upside down? Your parents gave birth to a DONKEY thinking they gave birth to a human being.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by ujoinme: 7:12pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:

You're worse than a dunce. You support and praise 0 universities in 63 years (by white rulers) as ''progress'' while insulting 200 universities in 55 years (by black rulers) as ''mediocrity''. Doesn't that show your head is upside down? Your parents gave birth to a DONKEY thinking they gave birth to a human being.

It would be better to leave out insults and just present the facts, so some others will learn. Arguments are won by facts not name calling.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Eluala(m): 7:18pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Children playing ay Coroner School in ikoyi in 1965.

The young man in the mid section looks like Donald Duke.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by MzJackBaueress(f): 7:24pm On May 14, 2015
General Yakubu Gowon's sister,mother and a relative walking into the church for Gowon's wedding at marina. (1969)

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by MzJackBaueress(f): 7:26pm On May 14, 2015
A Catholic priest and his car in the eastern region of Nigeria in the 60's

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Ihuomadinihu: 7:26pm On May 14, 2015
@Op,you pulled these pictures from a Facebook page,am very sure of that. Nice effort.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Oba Elegushi’s 2nd Wife, Hadiza Steps Into The Palace 6 Months After Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.