Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past (69172 Views)

Pictures From The Boat Regatta Held For Lagos@50 / Pictures From Obodoukwu Festival Held In Imo State / Pictures From Omabe Festival In Nsukka, Enugu State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by daddynasa: 3:34pm On May 14, 2015
robosky02:

Oloibiri: The site were the first oil-well was drilled in Nigeria.
at Oloibiri, in Ogbia, Bayelsa State, in 1956
the beginning of the present Nigeria, the beginning of curse, the beginning of corruption, wish we never discovered it then.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 3:34pm On May 14, 2015
oya stop the quareel about KING JAJA OF OPOBO read the whole story below

KING JAJA OF OPOBO: NATIONALIST, FIRST NIGERIAN RICHEST MAN AND THE MOST ACCOMPLISHED ENTREPRENEUR OF THE 19TH CENTURY WEST COAST OF AFRICA

Jaja of Opobo (full name: Jubo Jubogha; 1821–1891) was the first known Nigerian richest man, nationalist, a merchant prince and the founder of Opobo city-state which now forms part of Nigeria`s River State. Jaja whose real name was Mbanaso Okwaraozurumbaa was also a savvy political and military strategist, brought to the Bonny Kingdom as a slave, who was perhaps the most troublesome thorn in the flesh of 19th-century British imperial ambition in southern Nigeria.

The story of Jaja recounts a man of servile status hurdling intimidating odds to attain wealth and power, and founding in the latter half of the 19th century the most prosperous city-state in the Delta area of Nigeria. He has rightly been described as, perhaps, the most enterprising and accomplished of all African merchant princes on the west coast of Africa in the 19th century (Fajana and Biggs 1976:137-138). He first traded in Bonny but later founded a new flourishing trading settlement in 1869 in Opobo, a site where he felt he could best control the traditional sources of supply of palm oil in the region (Cookey 1974).

As far as Nigerian nationalist historiography is concerned, Jaja`s greatness could be found in his principled resistance to foreign political control. Indeed, Fajana and Biggs (1976:137) describe Jaja as the first Nigerian nationalist of the nineteenth century. Thus, Jaja’s principled oppositions to British influence in the Niger Delta has largely been interpreted by some historians as the precursors to Nigeria’s nationalist struggles..................

http://kwekudee-tripdownmemorylane..com/2014/04/king-jaja-of-opobo-nationalist-first.html

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Octaves(m): 3:41pm On May 14, 2015
I will try and be civil with you. First of all. You have a lot of hate in you and the type that blame whites for the deeds of your thieving politicians. You have the right to hate the fact that we were colonised. Thats not the point. The point is that they ran a more effective administration than we've ever had since independence. They may have fashioned naija to serve their interest but the fact is they provided the masses with the basic services a govt should provide for the people.
ROSSIKE:
You are a deluded lying foool sent here to deceive Nigerians. Name one power plant built by the colonialists. Nasty liar. What roads did they build? Name one expressway they built. Just one. Name one major hospital they built. ONE. The railway system they built north to south only to evacuate resources to the ports for export. Not for our benefit or to promote internal trade. Under colonial rule if one was ill, one visited a traditional herbalist. What schools did they build apart from a handful of missionary schools that educated less than 5% of the population? They ruled 63 years and built not one university. Stop lying to Nigerians. The reason our founding fathers fought so hard for independence was due to the monstrous misrule and neglect of the population by the colonialists.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by jaymichael(m): 3:42pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
The Tinubu Square erected in 1960. It was formerly called "THE FOUNTAIN OF LIBERTY".

The picture was taken in 1965
Berem, this is the kind of thread I appreciate and I love. I commot cap for you. I love this country.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 14, 2015
Octaves:
I will try and be civil with you. First of all. You have a lot of hate in you and the type that blame whites for the deeds of your thieving politicians. You have the right to hate the fact that we were colonised. Thats not the point. The point is that they ran a more effective administration than we've ever had since independence. They may have fashioned naija to serve their interest but the fact is they provided the masses with the basic services a govt should provide for the people.
You are a nasty liar. They provided services in your block head not in reality. More effective administration in your stinking assshole not in reality. Basic services in your stinking mouth not in reality. Stupi.d lying animal. I have exposed your lies to which you have no response, so you say I hate the whites. I don't hate them. But I will not allow lying bootlicking slaves like you to come here and invent colonial achievements out of thin air. Now get lost!
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by gragraboy: 3:47pm On May 14, 2015
rhythyson:
# make I add too grin
The evolution of yahoo yahoo
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by lolly2pops: 3:49pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:
That is your inferiority complex talking. A failure to appreciate the massive progress we have made. If I post modern pictures of Nigeria they would look a million times better than these pictures.

No, No!!! Fact!!!
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by sigain: 3:52pm On May 14, 2015
Oba Adesoji Aderemi,late Ooni of ife

3 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Octaves(m): 3:53pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:
You are a nasty liar. They provided services in your block head not in reality. More effective administration in your stinking assshole not in reality. Basic services in your stinking mouth not in reality. Stupi.d lying animal.
if you go home call your papa a nasty liar if you even know who he is, uncouth bastard born of an olosho. How old you even dey. C this stupid cvnt talking to me anyhow because i even make out time to respond to your vacuous posts. Ara tibakwa gi ofia.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by MzJackBaueress(f): 3:54pm On May 14, 2015
jaymichael:
Berem, this is the kind of thread I appreciate and I love. I commot cap for you. I love this country.
thanks bro

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by modath(f): 3:56pm On May 14, 2015
Usman212s:
the man that started terrorism on naija soil

NL tribal warlords will chop you raw today. cheesy

The ppl liking the pic I'm sure don't even understand that its supposed to highlight the fact that Ojukwu himself "surrendered" &participated in a build bridging effort for peace but trust the flawed historians.....

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 14, 2015
Octaves:
if you go home call your papa a nasty liar if you even know who he is, uncouth bastard born of an olosho. How old you even dey. C this stupid cvnt talking to me anyhow because i even make out time to respond to your vacuous posts. Ara tibakwa gi ofia.
Slave. Like Fela said. Colomentality...You don be slaveman before..dem don release you now..but you never release yourself..... (spit).
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by braine(m): 3:57pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
for those of you who went to boarding schools,which of the boxes did you use?
his

my grandmom used to call this 'portmonteau'... i found out its an actual word recently, I was shocked!
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Lilimax(f): 4:07pm On May 14, 2015
mediachirps:
is that boy his goat?
Heard the man was one of the foremost corrupt Nigerian little wonder he
was assassinated during the first military coup of 1966 sad
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by jaymichael(m): 4:07pm On May 14, 2015
abbeymighty:
Idunmota in Lagos island in early 70's. standing below in the side is lagos tower clock
see as the lagoon blue unlike these days. Pollution don make the water black
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Bollinger(m): 4:08pm On May 14, 2015
At last, a topic that actually makes sense.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Octaves(m): 4:08pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Slave. Like Fela said. Colomentality...You don be slaveman before..dem don release you now..but you never release yourself..... (spit).
i cherish our independence but that wont prevent me from stating facts nor make me full of delusions like you. You need to snap out of your delirium and realise Naija hasnt progressed much since independence. Stop being bitter, your great grand father that was sold into slavery was probably sold by you great grand uncle. Stop blaming foreigners for the woes of the country.
Now, stop quoting me because you are stupid
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
of course I do. Lol! I still have loads of pictures to post. I need a break abeg! Tired already

grin grin

splendid one.
will b waiting
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by simdam500(m): 4:15pm On May 14, 2015
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2409904_img71693976765664_jpeg_jpeg2dbfdc656c727fcf7fb064b4f969b525

Papa pls bless your son Doyin Okupe with brain to think the right way undecided

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by M4gunners: 4:16pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
A pregnant woman pushing her three wheeled truck to the market in Ijebu Ode (1969)
Wao respect to this woman. I wonder how blackberry girls will see this now.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by lazsnaira(m): 4:17pm On May 14, 2015
Lagusta:

Your last statement shows how stu.pid you are

No

It actually indicate the depth of your folly, in jumping to refute an assertion you knew nothing of.

I hope you learn next time.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by simdam500(m): 4:17pm On May 14, 2015
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by simdam500(m): 4:19pm On May 14, 2015

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Lagusta(m): 4:20pm On May 14, 2015
lazsnaira:

No

It actually indicate the depth of your folly, in jumping to refute an assertion you knew nothing of.

I hope you learn next time.

Just shut up will you, since you don't know how to converse with a sense of maturity why don't you take a ride to the lagoon and plunge yourself into it....

Nairalanders these days could be so annoying!!!
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by MzJackBaueress(f): 4:20pm On May 14, 2015
first indigenous photographer in Nigeria. Mr Jonathan Adagogo Green (1873-1905)

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by simdam500(m): 4:22pm On May 14, 2015
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 14, 2015
Octaves:
i cherish our independence but that wont prevent me from stating facts nor make me full of delusions like you. You need to snap out of your delirium and realise Naija hasnt progressed much since independence. Stop being bitter, your great grand father that was sold into slavery was probably sold by you great grand uncle. Stop blaming foreigners for the woes of the country.
Now, stop quoting me because you are stupid
You are a born liar. Since when did correcting your lies about colonial achievements amount to "blaming foreigners for the woes of the country"? On the contrary, I am praising our own black leaders for the successes we have achieved thus far. Successes you refuse to acknowledge because you are too busy sucking whitey's nuts over his phantom achievements, while hating your own. What you need to do is get your head out of whitey's asss, stop being a self-hating black man, start to appreciate and respect your own, and contribute like a proud African to the continent's development.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by MzJackBaueress(f): 4:25pm On May 14, 2015
for those of us who studied physics in secondary school.

You remember Nelkon and Parker physics textbooks? I still have mine.

grin

4 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 4:29pm On May 14, 2015
Chief Iniikeiroari Young Briggs (Oruwari II) is the founder of Abonnma. A great Warrior in his time who sojourned from the old Shipping (Elem-Kalabari) to the present day Abonnema in 1882 with eleven others. rivers state.

the first set of people to come in contact with the purtugues (white men) from ship

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by lazsnaira(m): 4:31pm On May 14, 2015
Lagusta:

Just shut up will you, since you don't know how to converse with a sense of maturity why don't you take a ride to the lagoon and plunge yourself into it....

Nairalanders these days could be so annoying!!!

Lol
You're the one who need tutorials on the art of communication.

I raised a subtle observation & rather than you taking your corrections like we all must do sometimes when we err on matters we're unfamiliar with, you resulted to vitriols.

So you shut up & do something else.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Octaves(m): 4:40pm On May 14, 2015
You are a colossal slowpoke. You need a brain transfer at Yaba left. Unfortunately, the govt hasn't provided any facility for that and ambulance service aint working. So ur papa may have to haul your lying asz in a wheel barrow. Ediot, in your stewpid mind Naija is perfect. And the governent has been super in providing for the need of the masses.
ROSSIKE:
You are a born liar. Since when did correcting your lies about colonial achievements amount to "blaming foreigners for the woes of the country"? On the contrary, I am praising our own black leaders for the successes we have achieved thus far. Successes you refuse to acknowledge because you are too busy sucking whitey's nuts over his phantom achievements, while hating your own. What you need to do is get your head out of whitey's asss, stop being a self-hating black man, start to appreciate and respect your own, and contribute like a proud African to the continent's development.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:42pm On May 14, 2015
Asuokaa:

i thought jaja of opobo was ijaw niger delta does that make him ibo...no offense and no insults just a question

he originates from imo state, nkwerre to be precise.
He was brought as a slave to the Pepples house in opobo

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Oba Elegushi’s 2nd Wife, Hadiza Steps Into The Palace 6 Months After Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.