Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,690 members, 7,844,276 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (250405 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:21pm On Oct 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF 2016 CHAN Qualifiers Morocco
Morocco, Tunisia progress to CHAN finals
[/size]

Morocco players celebrating

Morocco booked their spot at the 2016 African Nations Championship on Thursday evening, after securing a 4-0 thrashing of Libya in Radès.

Winners of the last edition of the continental tournament, which features exclusively players from their respective national leagues, in South Africa in 2013, the Mediterranean Knights bow out of the competition and will not be able to defend their crown.

FAR Rabat striker Abdessalam Benjelloun put the local Atlas Lions ahead in the 26th minute, with CRA midfielder Abdessamad Mbarki sending his side with a two-goal cushion into the break.

Wydad Casablanca’s playmaker Rachid Housni added to the Libyans’ misery with five more minutes to go, while Mohamed Bounjem sealed the victory deep into stoppage time.

The Atlas Lions will face Tunisia in their final Northern Zone encounter at the same venue on Sunday, with both sides already guaranteed a place at the finals, which will take place in Rwanda between 16 January and 7 February 2016.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/578694/Morocco-Tunisia-progress-to-CHAN-finals

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:47pm On Oct 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF South Africa 2016 CHAN Qualifiers
Bafana aim to spoil Angola party
[/size]

Thabo Senong,

The Bafana Bafana squad to travel to Angola for the CHAN 2016 Qualifuiers return leg has been announced and the technical team believe the players chosen can spoil the party for the Angolans.

South Africa lost 2-0 to Angola in the first leg played at the Rand Stadium last Saturday. They take on Angola in the second leg which will be played at 11 de Novembre Stadium which was constructed for the 2010 AFCON finals which the Angolans hosted.

The ground has a capacity of 50 000 but according to Ivan Capuepue, the Angolan media manager, not less than 35 000 fans are expected for the ‘hostile’ return leg.

In naming the final 18 players that travel to Angola tomorrow, Thursday 22 October 2015, assistant coach Thabo Senong said the named players have the capacity to spoil the party for the Angolans.

“We know we have left ourselves with a big mountain to climb but we are very hopeful that we can take the match to the Angolans and conjure up an unlikely result.

We are not going there (Angola) just to fulfil the match but fight to the end,” said Senong.
CHAN TEAM to travel to ANGOLA:
Goalkeepers: Nkosingiphile Gumede (Golden Arrows), Wayne Sandilands (Mamelodi Sundowns)
Defenders: Siyanda Zwane (Mamelodi Sundowns), Wandisile Letlabika (Bloemfontein Celtics), Levy Mokgothu (Kaizer Chiefs), Thabo September (Supersport Utd), Mario Booysen (Mamelodi Sundowns), Tebogo Moerane (Bidvest Wits)

Midfielders: Lyle Lakay (Bloemfontein Celtics), Mlungisi Mbunjane (Cape Town All Stars), Vincent Pule (Bidvest Wits), Amigo Luvuyo Memela (Orlando Pirates), Michael Morton (Supersport Utd), Hendrik Pule Eksteen (Kaizer Chiefs)

Strikers: Bongani Ndulula (Kaizer Chiefs), Dumisane Zuma (Bloemfontein Celtics), Percy Tau (Mamelodi Sundowns), Roggert Nyundu (Black Leopards)
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/578237/Bafana-aim-to-spoil-Angola-party
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:06pm On Oct 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria protest shift of CHAN qualifier
[/size]

CHAN Eagles star Chisom Chikatara

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have protested to CAF a sudden change on the match date for a return leg CHAN qualifier in Burkina Faso.

Federation Burkinabe de Football have moved the CHAN final qualifying match from Saturday to Sunday.

The Nigeria Football Federation received correspondence from the FBF on Monday indicating a change in date of the tie, and immediately protested, saying the change was coming less than the 10 days stipulated in the rules.

“We have complained to CAF about this change in date that came only five days to the match, as against a minimum of 10 days enshrined in the regulations,” said NFF general secretary Mohammed Sanusi.

“It means we will now have to alter all our arrangements to play the CHAN qualifier match on Sunday.”

The new date means the Super Eagles will now travel to Ouagadougou on Friday evening, have the official training in the evening of Saturday and playLes Etalonsat the August 4 Stadium on Sunday.

They are scheduled to depart Ouagadougou immediately after the match.

Nigeria have a 2-0 advantage in the CHAN fixture courtesy of goals from Yaro Bature and Gbolahan Salami in the first leg in Port Harcourt on Saturday.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/578117/Nigeria-protest-shift-of-CHAN-qualifier
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:17pm On Oct 22, 2015
[size=14pt]
Europa League: Onazi Limps Off, Ezekiel In Action; Echiejile Benched
[/size]
By James Agberebi:
Super Eagles assistant captain, Ogenyi Onazi, seems to have joined the long list of Lazio’s injured midfielders as he came off in his side’s 3-1 home win against Rosenborg in the Europa League.
Onazi was substituted for Santiago Gentilleti in the 11th minute.

Goals from Alessandro Matri, Felipe Anderson and Antonio Candreva secured the win for Lazio. Alexander Soederlund scored Rosenborg’s only goal.

In Belgium, Nigerian forward, Imoh Ezekiel, was in action for Anderlecht in their 2-1 victory against Tottenham Hotspur.

Ezekiel was later substituted for Frank Acheampong in the 66th minute of the encounter.

And in France, Eagles left-back, Elderson Echiejile was an unused substitute as AS Monaco beat Qarabag 1-0.

Monaco’s only goal was scored by Lacina Traore in the 70th minute.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/europa-league-onazi-limps-off-ezekiel-in-action-echiejile-benched/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:20pm On Oct 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh Flown To Belgium For Treatment After Ill-Health Worsens
[/size]

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:

A seriously ill Super Eagles head coach Sunday Oliseh was flown to Belgium for treatment after his health condition worsened on Thursday, Comple tesportsnigeria.com can report.
The former Nigeria captain was reported to have been down with flu before the first leg African Nations Championship qualifying clash with Burkina Faso in Port Harcourt last week.

Oliseh reportedly broke down and asked to be taken abroad for treatment on Thursday.

Sources close to the Super Eagles camp told Complete Sports that palpable fear gripped the camp on Thursday and team and external doctors managed to stabilize his condition before he was taken to Port Harcourt airport en route Belgium.

"His condition has detoririated so much that he had to be flown back to his home in Belgium where he will be attended to by his personal physician. I have never seen him in this state before. It is very bad," Comple tesportsnigeria.com source said.

Completesportsnigeria.com gathered further that the Nigeria Football Federation have been briefed about the development, and have okayed his being flown to Belgium for treatment.

With this development, Oliseh will miss the second leg of the CHAN qualifier against Burkina Faso on Sunday.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/oliseh-flown-to-belgium-for-treatment-after-ill-health-worsens/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:22pm On Oct 22, 2015
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria
Europa League: Kehinde Fatai scores at Schalke
[/size]

Kehinde Fatai

Nigeria striker Kehinde Fatai was among the goals on Thursday as his Czech Republic team Sparta Prague were forced to a 2-2 draw by hosts Schalke 04.

The former Nigeria youth international scored in the 50th minute to level the scores at 1-1.
He played for 88 minutes when he was substituted by Mario Holek.

He has now scored nine goals this season – five in the league, two in the UEFA Champions League and two in the Europa League.

africanfootball.com//news/578708/Europa-League-Kehinde-Fatai-scores-at-Schalke

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:28pm On Oct 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
From remote Nigeria to the center stage: Fanendo Adi stands tall for Portland Timbers in run to playoffs
[/size]
By Jamie Goldberg

Portland Timbers forward Fanendo Adi lifted his arms in elation and ran toward the sidelines smiling from ear to ear.

His teammates followed, embracing him in a giant hug as they jumped up and down in excitement.

The 25-year-old had just scored the go-ahead goal in Los Angeles off a penalty kick to give the Timbers a 2-1 lead over the reigning MLS Cup Champion LA Galaxy. This, a scant three minutes after Adi had recorded the equalizer, turning and firing a beautiful left-footed shot into the net.

On the field, he exuded confidence.
"Adi has never been more bought in," Timbers coach Caleb Porter said. "He loves it here. He wants to win. Guys love him. He's playing hard. He's playing big."

Adi has been the main offensive weapon in an otherwise lackluster Timbers attack this season. He leads Portland with an MLS club record 15 goals and has recorded five goals in the last four games to help the Timbers (14-11-8, 50 points) earn three critical wins. With Adi leading the way, Portland has jumped back above the red line into fourth place in the Western Conference standings with one game left in the regular season.

And Adi couldn't be happier.
After spending six years bouncing around different clubs in Europe looking for the right fit, Adi feels like he belongs in Portland.

"All along, I've been trying to find a perfect fit and I think here is a great fit for me," Adi said. "I'm pleased to be in Portland."
• • •
Adi grew up playing soccer, barefoot, in a remote village in Benue State, which sits in the middle of Nigeria.

When his parents sent him on errands, the budding soccer star would often get sidetracked and instead end up playing soccer in the streets. He would spend hours running up and down the sandy lots alongside other children, completely forgetting about the errands, even though he knew he'd be in trouble when he came home.

Adi still remembers his first pair of "cleats." The shoes were a gift from a friend and Adi was so excited to have real boots that he didn't even realize that they were American football cleats. The first time he went in for a tackle, he accidentally cut his opponent's leg with the spikes.

"They looked like soccer shoes,'" Adi said. "I was excited because basically before that I played without shoes."

Fanendo Adi's journey to the Portland Timbers
Adi talks about learning to play soccer as a barefoot boy in Nigeria and about the journey from there through other countries to Portland, where he's the Timbers' leading scorer.

Despite his humble beginnings, Adi quickly rose up the ranks. An agent noticed him playing when he was 15 and invited him to come to a tryout in Lagos, Nigeria's teeming metropolis.

Adi's parents weren't pleased. They wanted their son to focus on his education and earn a college degree. But Adi couldn't pass up the chance to chase his dream.

"My family didn't want me to travel anywhere to go play football," Adi said. "They wanted me to go to school. At the end of the day, I had to lie to my family to go play football."

Adi arrived at the tryout expecting to be one of 65 players competing for 10 spots in the Brazilian Soccer School, a well-regarded soccer academy in Lagos. Instead, 400 boys showed up to the tryout.

The lean and tall striker had just 10 minutes to show off his skills, but it was enough.
"Out of 400 players, he ended up choosing just me," Adi said. "I was the one that came from a very small village and became the chosen one out of 400."... he's learning to embrace how big and strong and mean he can be.

Adi spent the next six months honing his game at the Brazilian Soccer School, before being sent to a tryout for second-division club AS Trenčín in Slovakia. The tryout lasted just 30 minutes, but once again Adi made an impression.

He was offered the chance to leave Nigeria to play professional soccer.
"I was pretty lucky because the owner of the club was basically there to see my tryout," Adi said. "It was just 30 minutes and they decided to give me a contract."
• • •
In 2014, Adi was offered the chance to join Danish Superliga side FC Copenhagen. He traveled to Denmark excited to continue to build his career in Europe, but the coach that brought Adi to Copenhagen was fired only days after he arrived.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:34pm On Oct 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
From remote Nigeria to the center stage: Fanendo Adi stands tall for Portland Timbers in run to playoffs
[/size]
By Jamie Goldberg

A new coach came in with his own crop of players and style of play and Adi realized that he might need to look for another opportunity.

When he was offered the chance to come to America and join the Timbers on loan, he jumped at it.

"It became complicated, knowing that the coach that brought you to the team has been fired," Adi said. "Coming to America was a decision that was very easy, knowing that the club wanted me and the coach wanted me."

In his first five games in Portland, Adi recorded two braces, prompting the Timbers to sign him as a designated player.

But Adi's transition to MLS wasn't seamless. The striker went through long scoreless droughts in 2014 and early 2015, causing Porter to replace Adi in the lineup in select games with Timbers forward Maximiliano Urruti.

Still, over time, Adi has shown just how valuable he can be for the Timbers.

"He's been great," Timbers defender Jorge Villafana said. "He's been doing a great job on top holding the ball and scoring goals."

Adi is still young and Porter said he is continuing to evolve as a player. This year, Porter has tried to help Adi simplify his game and worked on finding ways to play to his strengths. He sends Adi a text before every game, reminding the 6 foot 4 striker to "play big."

"He's a guy that as big as he is, sometimes he doesn't play that big or in the past he hasn't," Porter said. "But he's learning to embrace how big and strong and mean he can be."

With the Timbers on the cusp of earning a playoff berth, Adi has never felt more motivated to succeed.

He has grown into his shoes and is living out his dream.
"In soccer, nothing is easy," Adi said. "Of course, we've had our ups and downs, but I came here to play and that's just what I'm doing."
[/b]

www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2015/10/fanendo_adi_stands_tall_in_por.html

Posting large article in one place is a big challenge

CC: Joseph1013, TheSuperNerd.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:41pm On Oct 22, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF shifts Nigeria/Burkina Faso match to Saturday
[/size]

Amaju Melvin Pinnick

The Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, has announced that the 2016 African Nations Championship final round, first leg qualifier between the Home–based Senior National Team, Super Eagles B, and the Etalons of Burkina Faso, will now take place on Saturday.

The NFF reported on its website Wednesday that the venue remains the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium, Port Harcourt, with kick–off scheduled for 4pm.

No reason was given for the new date of the match which had earlier been fixed for Sunday.

The Confederation of African Football has appointed Boubou Traore from Mali as referee for the encounter.

Traore’s compatriots Bobo Yomboliba, Boubacar Kinta and Harouna Coulibaly will serve as assistant referee 1, assistant referee 2 and reserve referee respectively.

Mr. Pedro De Morais Neto, from Angola, will be match commissioner.
Meanwhile, 24 players are battling for shirts in Port Harcourt under the watchful eyes of Assistant Coaches Salisu Yusuf and Alloy Agu.

Warri Wolves’ ace forward Gbolahan Salami, with 14 goals so far in the Glo NPFL season, is injured and out of the race for a shirt, but apart from fellow Wolves’ boy Paul Onobi who had a knock in training on Tuesday, all other players are fully fit to battle the Etalons.

There are goalkeepers Femi Thomas, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, David Obiazor and Okemute Odah.

Defenders are Chima Akas, Austin Oboroakpo, Kalu Orji, Solomon Kwambe, Idris Aloma, Samson Gbadebo, Jamiu Alimi and Stephen Eze, while midfielders are Abdulrazak Aliyu, Ifeanyi Mathew, Paul Onobi, Usman Mohammed, Bature Yaro and Osas Okoro.

Forwards include Ezekiel Bassey, Chisom Chikatara, Tunde Adeniji, Prince Aggrey, Bright Onyedikachi and Dayo Ojo.

Nigeria failed to qualify for the first two editions of the competition reserved for senior players plying their trade in African countries’ domestic league, but won a bronze medal at the third edition held in South Africa early last year.

The winners over two legs between Nigeria and Burkina Faso will be eligible for a place at the 4th edition of the championship taking place in Rwanda early next year.
[/b]

www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/10/14/nff-shifts-nigeriaburkina-faso-match-to-saturday/
CC: AIG07
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:58pm On Oct 22, 2015
Hey!!!!! Hey!!!! Hey!!!!! I can't ignore this anymore.....

I've been following this guy's exploits for Sparta Prague of Czech Republic and I must say I'm impressed...... He's been in the news for 3-4 weeks running now because of his consistency in front of goal for his clubside....... And his side are topping the Czech league also........

It's interesting to note that this guy, "Kehinde Fatai" was a member of Samson Siasia's u-20 side to the 2009 Fifa u-20 world cup held in Egypt.

He should keep it up......... Woww!!! Looks like Nigeria is beginning to see "the rise" of some dynamic centre forwards again...... Odion Ighalo, Isaac Success, Taiwo Awoniyi, among others.....

Brown Ideye (impressive for Olympiacos of recent) and Obafemi Martins are still available and aren't new to The Super Eagles....

Now here's another called Kehinde Fatai.....

I also know of a certain Abiola Dauda of Vitesse Arnhem but Dominic Solanke is normally preferred ahead of him recently.

Well, good to know our striking options are becoming more and not "limited".............. At least for the long run.......... **smiles**

terzurum5:
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria
Europa League: Kehinde Fatai scores at Schalke
[/size]

Kehinde Fatai

Nigeria striker Kehinde Fatai was among the goals on Thursday as his Czech Republic team Sparta Prague were forced to a 2-2 draw by hosts Schalke 04.

The former Nigeria youth international scored in the 50th minute to level the scores at 1-1.
He played for 88 minutes when he was substituted by Mario Holek.

He has now scored nine goals this season – five in the league, two in the UEFA Champions League and two in the Europa League.

africanfootball.com//news/578708/Europa-League-Kehinde-Fatai-scores-at-Schalke

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:09am On Oct 23, 2015
I understand Sir.......... Just carry on. *smiles*

I've also come to understand that there's a limit to how one post can accomodate a whole article based on its length.

I experienced the same challenge couple of days back with the report, "post too long" showing up and thus I decided to abort the whole thing.

I had the option of breaking it into different posts but I didn't want that.........*smiles*

So Sir, I understand......... Just keep it going the best way you can but always keep in Mind the other points raised by Sir Joseph1013..........

I'm glad to see most(or is it all?) of them being applied..... At least, the "underlines" are gone....... Halleluyah! *smiles*

KEEP IT UP SIR........ WELL DONE!!!!

**BIG SMILES*

terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]
By Jamie Goldberg

A new coach came in with his own crop of players and style of play and Adi realized that he might need to look for another opportunity.

When he was offered the chance to come to America and join the Timbers on loan, he jumped at it.

"It became complicated, knowing that the coach that brought you to the team has been fired," Adi said. "Coming to America was a decision that was very easy, knowing that the club wanted me and the coach wanted me."

In his first five games in Portland, Adi recorded two braces, prompting the Timbers to sign him as a designated player.

But Adi's transition to MLS wasn't seamless. The striker went through long scoreless droughts in 2014 and early 2015, causing Porter to replace Adi in the lineup in select games with Timbers forward Maximiliano Urruti.

"He's been great," Timbers defender Jorge Villafana said. "He's been doing a great job on top holding the ball and scoring goals."

Adi is still young and Porter said he is continuing to evolve as a player. This year, Porter has tried to help Adi simplify his game and worked on finding ways to play to his strengths. He sends Adi a text before every game, reminding the 6 foot 4 striker to "play big."

"He's a guy that as big as he is, sometimes he doesn't play that big or in the past he hasn't," Porter said. "But he's learning to embrace how big and strong and mean he can be."

With the Timbers on the cusp of earning a playoff berth, Adi has never felt more motivated to succeed.

He has grown into his shoes and is living out his dream.
"In soccer, nothing is easy," Adi said. "Of course, we've had our ups and downs, but I came here to play and that's just what I'm doing."
[/b]

www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2015/10/fanendo_adi_stands_tall_in_por.html

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:28am On Oct 23, 2015
You can select like 5-7 paragraphs and put the link for anyone who wants to to read the full story.

terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]
By Jamie Goldberg

[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:32am On Oct 23, 2015
Yeah.... That's another good one.... Nice idea....

Thanks Sir GoodJoe....... Kinda felt your absence for a while Sir. *smiles*

Note: Sir Terzurum5, I love Sir TheGoodJoe's idea coz you can effectively apply this to "very long" articles..... Others( short, semi-long) can always take their "one post" form.

TheGoodJoe:
You can select like 5-7 paragraphs and put the link for anyone who wants to to read the full story.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:35am On Oct 23, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Yeah.... That's another good one.... Nice idea....

Thanks Sir GoodJoe....... Kinda felt your absence for a while Sir. *smiles*

I have been a little busy but I do not fail to see what is going on here.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:46am On Oct 23, 2015
Godspeed in whatever you're doing Sir........

**smiles**

TheGoodJoe:

I have been a little busy but I do not fail to see what is going on here.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:48am On Oct 23, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Godspeed in whatever you're doing Sir........

**smiles**

Thanks.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2015
AIG07:

i think the list should be out anytime from next week.
The List is out. Though it was not clearly stated on the headline but in the article somewhere here. Just read that on this thread.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:00pm On Oct 23, 2015
BascoVanVeli:
Honestly if Eminike must retire all the midfielder's should follow suit the guy has not had a clear goal scoring opportunity since he got called offside against France at the world cup and he has played a part in more important goals than people give him credit for, I will always remember the run he made against Bosnia. The way things are looking we will have 11 players to hold a testimonial match for maybe the retired eagles can play the new eagles.

We will miss Emmanuel Emenike for his past achievements, but for now he needs to give way for other younger but promising talents to get their chances with the national team.

He for one does not need the national team, because he doesn't play in a top clubside. Also the notion that Enyeama and Emenike's retirement will pave way for other Super Eagles Player's retirement is not true.

Most of these players need quality playing time with their national team to be revive their careers, especially those in England and other top leagues.

Mikel Obi for instance, needs Nigeria more than we need him.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:05pm On Oct 23, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
^^^^^^

@the above "titled"....... *Nigerian Trio wins Bahrain Super Cup*

Interesting, so Akarandut Orok, one-time Nigerian league goal king with 17 goals (while starring for Akwa Utd) is in bahrain now.

Well, it's sad that most of the Npfl top scorers don't go on to better leagues and better deals just because most of them are always in a hurry to "play abroad" and "earn higher cash". All these to the detriment of their talents and potentials. It's really sad.

Only Ahmed Musa has gone on to a pretty good career in Europe among Nigeria's NPFL goal kings in the last 10 yrs or so.

Another factor which might be responsible for our local player's rush for foreign contracts in obscure leagues is the age factor. If you like be patient with the league. Age will not wait for you.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:45pm On Oct 23, 2015
BlackAlbino6:

We will miss Emmanuel Emenike for his past achievements, but for now he needs to give way for other younger but promising talents to get their chances with the national team.

He for one does not need the national team, because he doesn't play in a top clubside. Also the notion that Enyeama and Emenike's retirement will pave way for other Super Eagles Player's retirement is not true.

Most of these players need quality playing time with their national team to be revive their careers, especially those in England and other top leagues.

Mikel Obi for instance, needs Nigeria more than we need him.

I don't surport that any man should just simply give way no matter how promising the player behind him is, if the man is so good and ready he should prove it and then let the coach make the final decision. To me all this is pride talk, if Oliseh felt Eminike wasn't good enough any more he would have told him so but the problem is our players spend too much time listening to our local media which is the equivalent of a gossip tabloid. Our players do not need the national team u might not think so but they are doing just fine in fact you might say flying to Africa every break hinders them from reaching their club potential. Last year(ebola) these men were treated like dogs when they chose to come home. They were isolated upon their arrival back to Europe. Retirement is even an extra incentive for a club to pick them up, that means the player doesn't go for the Afcon missing the whole of January. If we keep on treating these men like they don't matter nobody would want to play for Nigeria and good luck with the home eagles. Mikel is a wanted man btw chealsea(Jose) won't give him up. The truth is most top clubs don't care if their African players play for their countries, it brings no press to them infact clubs want fully committed players you don't see city begging Yaya not to retire.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:47am On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF Endorse Odegbami For FIFA Presidency
[/size]

By Bamidele Boluwaji:

The Nigeria Football Federation have endorsed former Green Eagles star, Chief Segun Odegbami, as the country's candidate at the upcoming Federation International Football Association presidential election.

Complete Sports reliable source informed that the football house on Friday decided to give Odegbami the go-ahead to be the country's sole candidate at the election.

Former Governor of Abia State, Chief Orji Uzor Kalu, whose reign in the state saw Enyimba FC winning the CAF Champions League twice was also in the race but with the NFF endorsement for Chief Odegbami who helped Nigeria to win the 1980 African Cup of Nations and other clubs competitions, this means the entire country would have to back the ex-international.

When Complete Sports contacted Chief Odegbami about the development, he said: "I haver only been hearing it, many people have been calling to ask but i have not been called officially from the FA but I hope it is true."

The election is expected to be held on February 26 in Switzerland.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-endorse-odegbami-for-fifa-presidency/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:53am On Oct 24, 2015
[size=14pt]
Oboabona, Lawal Suffer Defeats; Igboun In action, Aiyegbeni Benched
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Super Eagles defender, Godfrey Oboabona, was in action for Rizespor in their 2-0 home loss to Akhisar Belediye in a Turkish Super League clash on Friday night.

Oboabona featured for 90 minutes in the encounter.

Still in Turkey, Nigerian midfielder, Raheem Lawal, saw action for 90 minutes but couldn't prevent his team Eskisehirspor from going down 3-1 at home to 10-man Kayserispor.

Lawal was also booked in the 24th minute.

Meanwhile, former Super Eagles striker, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, was an unused substitute.

And in Russia, Eagles forward, Sylvester Igboun, made an appearnce for UFA as they beat visiting Krylya Sovetov Samara 1-0.

Igboun was later replaced by Vagiz Galiulin in the 86th minute.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/oboabona-lawal-suffer-defeats-igboun-in-action-aiyegbeni-benched/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:56am On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Uzochukwu Fully Recovered, Set For Amkar Perm Start
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:

Super Eagles midfielder Izunna Uzochukwu will make his sixth Russian League start for his side in Saturday's lunch time clash against Ural, he has informed Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

Uzochukwu ‎who watched from the bench as Amkar drew 1-1 at home to Dinamo last weekend will pair his compatriot Fegor Ogude in the holding midfield role for his team.

"I'm happy I'd be starting on Saturday after a long lay-off," he revealed to Comple tesportsnigeria.com in a brief chat.

Uzochukwu who missed the Super Eagles games against Congo and Cameroun hopes to be recalled for next month's 2018 World Cup preliminary qualifier against Swaziland‎.

"I‎ hope to get back to the team now that I have regained my full fitness," he added.

"I've never stayed out of the game this long; ‎it was a trying moment for me but that has made me stronger now."
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/uzochukwu-fully-recovered-set-for-amkar-perm-start/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:00am On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
CHAN: Home Eagles, Complete Sports Off To Burkina Faso
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:

The home-based Super Eagles have departed for Ouagadougou ahead of Sunday’s African Nations Championship second leg qualifying fixture against Burkina Faso.

Also, Comple tesportsnigeria.com’s ADEBOYE AMOSU (pictured with some of the Eagles stars) is on the way to Ouagadougou to report the latest pre-match, match and post-match news as it breaks, as well as exclusive interviews and stories.

The team comprising 24 players and 12 officials which was led by the 2nd Vice-President, Nigeria Football Federation, Shehu Dikko, alongside Chairman Technical Committee, Felix Anyansi Agwu, Deputy Secretary General, Emmanuel Ikpeme; Deputy Director Communications, Ayobola Oyeyode and assistant Director of Communications, Ademola Olajire, left the Port Harcourt International Airport aboard an Ariz Air aircraft at around 7.38 pm on Friday.

Key members of the side like Gbolahan Salami, Chima Akas, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Bature Yaro, Paul Onobi and Chisom Chikatara are among those who made the trip to the Burkina Faso capital.

Comple tesportsnigeria.com scooped that the Eagles will have a feel of the August 4 Stadium pitch, venue of the game, on Saturday evening.

The match will commence at 4pm (5pm Nigeria time) on Sunday.
Nigeria won the first leg 2-0 courtesy of strikes by Bature Yaro and Gbolahan Salami.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/chan-home-eagles-complete-sports-off-to-burkina-faso/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:06am On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria striker Chinedu Obasi on trial to boost attacking options
[/size]
By James Hunter
Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce will decide next week whether to offer a deal to free agent Chinedu Obasi, who is currently training on Wearside

Maurice Edu #6 of the United States goes after the ball in front of Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi #7 of Nigeria

Sunderland have taken Nigeria international striker Chinedu Obasi on trial, as Sam Allardycelooks to boost his attacking options.

Obasi, who is a free agent after being released by German side Schalke over the summer, has been training with the Black Catsand Allardyce intends to decide next week whether to offer him a contract.

The 29-year-old had trouble with shin injuries during his stay at Schalke, and made just 10 Bundesliga starts in three years at the club.

But Obasi has impressed at international level, playing in the Super Eagles side that finished third in the 2010 African Cup of Nations, and he also played in the World Cup that same year.

He was a member of the Super Eagles Under 20 side that finished as runners-up in the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship, and was in the U23 team that won Olympic silver medals in 2008.

Allardyce said: “He’s been injured with a broken shin and that had taken a long time for him to recover, and he spent some rehab time in America.

“His agent got hold of me and said he was worth looking at based on his CV, which looked pretty good, so we’ll make a judgment early next week.”

Sunderland currently have one space available in their 25-man Premier League squad, which could be filled by a free agent.
[/b]

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-take-nigeria-striker-chinedu-10322709

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:29am On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
CHAN: Home Eagles Hold First Training In Burkina Faso
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu In Ouagadougou:

The home-based Super Eagles team will hold their first training session at 4pm on Saturday ahead of Sunday’s African Nations Championship qualifier against Burkina Faso.

Comple tesportsnigeria.com was informed on Saturday morning here in Ouagadougou that the team will train at the August 4 stadium at 4pm (5pm Nigerian time).

The Eagles landed at the Ouagadougou International Airport at 9.23 pm on Friday night and headed straight for the Palace Hotel, where they will camp for the match.

Comple tesportsnigeria.com arrived in Ouagadougou at the same time with the Eagles and will be providing live updates of all the team’s activities all through their stay here.

The Nigerian team defeated Burkina Faso 2-0 in the first leg in Port Harcourt a week ago.

The Home Eagles are seeking to qualify for their second straight CHAN after finishing third in South Africa in 2014.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/chan-home-eagles-hold-first-training-in-burkina-faso/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:35am On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF denies Oliseh’s resignation
[/size]
• Coach calls assistants from Belgium

• Accepts to obey doctor’s rest order

President of the Nigeria Football federation (NFF) Melvin Amaju Pinnick has debunked claims in some quarters that Super Eagles chief coach Sunday oliseh has resigned from the plum job.

Pinnick described the rumour that Oliseh resigned from the job hence his hurried movement out of the Eagles’ camp in Port Harcourt as another lie from the pit hell, enthused thus in a terse text message to SportingLife on Friday evening that: “How? not true.”

SportingLife‘s further porbe on the issue revealed that Oliseh has been in constant touch with his assistants in the team’s camp in Port Harcourt sharing notes and telling them what to do in their training sessions in his absence.

Meanwhile, Oliseh has arrived in Belgium safely to commence immediate treatment for the flu infection he contracted and has charged the Eagles to win the 2016 CHAN qualifier against Burkina Faso on Sunday.

“I have absolute confidence in the team even in my absence they will get the job done for Nigeria on Sunday,” he said.

The August 4 Stadium in Ouagadogou hosts CHAN qualifying 2nd leg fixture between Etalons and the Eagles.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/nff-denies-olisehs-resignation/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:41am On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
DOCTORS REVEAL: Oliseh has acute typhoid fever
[/size]
• Eagles’ coach defies physician’s lay-off instruction

• Arrives Belgium for treatment
A source in the camp of the Super Eagles B team has revealed to SportingLife that the failure of the head coach of the senior national team, Sunday Oliseh to properly treat the acute typhoid fever he was diagnosed with was responsible for the deterioration in his health.

Oliseh breezed in to Port Harcourt Friday night last week on the eve of the first leg of the African Nations Championship (CHAN) qualifier against Burkina Faso and oversaw the initial leg Nigeria won 2-0 at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium, Port Harcourt last Saturday.

He was not in the best shape when he arrived Eagles’ camp and he confirmed that to his assistant coaches and other officials that were at the Hotel Presidential camp of the team but he defied his ailment to shout out instructions to his players on match day and also supervised training sessions till Wednesday morning before his condition got worse.

The camp source told SportingLife that patriotism and his eagerness to ensure that he succeeds as Eagles’ boss made Oliseh to go contrary to his personal physician instruction that he takes a bed rest for at least a month before embarking on any difficult task.

He was told that aside the typhoid fever he is also suffering from exertion or stress brought about by his lack of adequate rest for quite some time now.

A source in Port Harcourt told SportingLife that had Oliseh stayed out of the training sessions of the team after the first leg maybe his health would not have deteriorated while adding that the energy sapping Wednesday training session must have taken its toll on the coach.

SportingLife was told that Oliseh personally drilled the team and also oversaw other training session rudiments for over a hour on Wednesday morning and that the practice session may have aided the present condition of his health.

Oliseh arrived Belgium in the early hours of Friday and has gone to meet his personal physician for treatment after he left Nigeria on Thursday evening.

SportingLife learnt that Oliseh won’t be available for the second leg tie in Ouagadougou as Assistant Coach Salisu Yusuf has stepped in to take head coach duties.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/doctors-reveal-oliseh-has-acute-typhoid-fever/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.