Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,972 members, 7,838,471 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (250077 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 12:10pm On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF 2016 CHAN Qualifiers Gabon
Gabon look to seal CHAN qualification
[/size]

Mali and Gabon doing battle on the field

Gabon will look to confirm a place in the 2016 African Nations Championship (CHAN) when they host Chad for the return leg of their final round qualifying tie on Saturday in Libreville.

The Panthers eased to a 2-0 win in the first leg away in N’Djamena and will start the return game as clear favourites to progress.

Gabon’s goals in the first leg were scored by Martel Mba and Richy Mandraut, establishing a solid lead which they will look to add to in the second match.

Should Gabon secure qualification, they will travel to their third successive CHAN tournament, having also appeared in the 2011 and 2014 events in Sudan and South Africa respectively.

The Panthers finished in the group stage on debut and reached the quarterfinals in the last tournament before they were eliminated on penalties by eventual champions Libya.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/578443/Gabon-look-to-seal-CHAN-qualification
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 12:12pm On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF 2016 CHAN Qualifiers Niger
Togo confident of CHAN qualifier turnaround
[/size]

Togo supporter

Togo are confident they can overcome their two-goal deficit when they host Niger in Lomé on Sunday, in the return leg of their 2016 African Nations Championship qualifying tie.

The ‘Mena’ enjoyed a 2-0 win in the first leg in Niamey, thanks to first-half goals from striker Halidou ‘Inzaghi’ and centre-back Dankwa Koffi.

However, ‘Sparrow Hawks’ head coach Tom Saintfiet is adamant his side can still turn things around at home and book their place at the tournament’s finals, which will take place in Rwanda between 16 January and 7 February 2016.

“Niger scored two very early goals. The first one followed a small error from our keeper, but on the second one, there was a foul on him,” Saintfiet said.

“In the second half, Agbenyiadan scored two goals, both ruled out for an offside position.

“We had two clear-cut chances through Folly Klan, but we couldn’t convert them. However, I am proud of my team.

“I said that we need a miracle, and I am confident we can do it. We need to score one goal in the first half, one in the second half and hope for the penalty shootout.”
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/579010/Togo-confident-of-CHAN-qualifier-turnaround
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 12:24pm On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2016 CHAN Qualifiers Nigeria
Hot from Africa: Nigeria face tricky visit to Burkina Faso
[/size]

CHAN Eagles star Chisom Chikatara capable of scoring goals in Burkina Faso

Nigeria face a tricky trip to Burkina Faso on Sunday with the main prize being a place at next year’s African Nations Championship (CHAN) in Rwanda.

Last weekend, the Eagles defeated Burkina Faso 2-0 in the first leg played in Port Harcourt with goals from Gbolahan Salami and Bature Yaro.

But Burkina Faso coach Traore Idrissa was far from impressed and boasted Les Etalons could overturn this advantage within 30 minutes of the return leg.

The CHAN Eagles carved out the better chances in Port Harcourt, but the Burkinabes also threatened the Nigeria goal at least twice.
Assistant coach Salisu Yusuf, in for the ailing Sunday Oliseh, is expected to ring a number of changes in the starting XI on Sunday at the August 4 Stadium in Ouagadougou.

Rightback Solomon Kwambe is ruled out due to injury and his place could be taken by Orji Kalu or Matthew Etim, who was handed a late call-up.

The Eagles defence led by Abia Warriors ace Austin Oboroakpo will be tested, but in attack Nigeria boast of several players who have goals in them – Gbolahan Salami, Bature Yaro, Chisom Chikatara, Osas Okoro and Ezekiel Bassey.

“We do not expect an easy game and so we will fight as well,” said coach Yusuf.

Burkina Faso were reportedly missing several players for the first leg and are expected to strengthen the team for this Nigerian visit.

Enyimba goalkeeper Femi Thomas, who was cover for Sunshine Stats goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa in the first leg, said Nigeria are ready for battle in Ouagadougou.

"We are ready for Burkina Faso, we have been training hard for the game and we are just going to play our normal game to win,” he said.

"I am calling on Nigerians to support and pray for us as we will do our own job on the field."

Nigeria are seeking a second appearance in the competition reserved for players plying their trade in their domestic leagues after they finished third on their debut last year.

Kick-off time on Sunday is 5pm Nigerian time.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/578849/Hot-from-Africa-Nigeria-face-tricky-visit-to-Burkina-Faso
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 12:27pm On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Zambia 2016 CHAN Qualifiers Zambia
Zambia to tame Mambas in Maputo
[/size]

Allan Mukuka of Zambia challenged by Joshua Tijani of Ghana during the 2015 Cosafa Cup Plate Semi Finals match between Zambia and Ghana at Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Rustenburg on the 27 May 2015 ©Muzi Ntombela

Zambia will be favourites to get the job done and book their place at the 2016 African Nations Championship (CHAN) following a convincing first-leg win over Southern zone rivals Mozambique in Ndola.

Chipolopolo head to Maputo with a 3-0 advantage and should they hold their nerve on Sunday they will confirm their place at the showpiece in Rwanda

The CHAN finals will take place from 16 January to 7 February 2016.

Mozambique frustrated Zambia for most of the game last weekend, but a 12 minute blitz, starting in the 77th minute of the game, put the 2012 African Cup of Nations champions in the driving seat.

Winston Kalengo opened the floodgates before Conlyde Luchanga and Spencer Sautu added their names to the score sheet.

Zambia are now likely to advance to their first championship since the inaugural event in the Ivory Coast six years ago, where they finished as bronze medal winners.

The Mambas qualified for the CHAN tournament in South Africa last year, falling out at the group stages.

Kick-off at the Estádio da Machava in the Mozambique capital is set for 15h00.
Zambia squad to face Mozambique in Maputo:

Goalkeepers: Jacob Banda (Zesco United), Toaster Nsabata (Zanaco)

Defenders: Boyd Mkandawire (Napsa Stars), Christopher Munthali (Power Dynamos), Buchizya Mfune (Green Buffaloes), Benedict Chepeshi (Red Arrows), Donashano Malama (Nkana), Dauti Musekwa (Zesco United)

Midfielders: Jack Chirwa (Green Buffaloes), Paul Katema (Red Arrows), Charles Zulu (Zanaco), Benson Sakala (Power Dynamos), Salulani Phiri (Zanaco), Spencer Sautu (Green Eagles), Mwila Phiri (Green Eagles), Mwape Mwelwa (Zesco United)

Forwards: Festus Mbewe (Red Arrows), Winston Kalengo (Zesco United), Moses Phiri (Zanaco), Conlyde Luchanga (Lusaka Dynamos)
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/578830/Zambia-to-tame-Mambas-in-Maputo
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 1:06pm On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF 2016 CHAN Qualifiers Senegal
Senegal host high-flying Guinea
[/size]

Senegal fans

Senegal have it all to do if they are to book their place at the 2016 African Nations
Championships (CHAN) in Rwanda next year following a 2-0 defeat to Guinea in the first-leg Zone West A qualifier.

The second-leg is set to take place in Dakar on Saturday afternoon.
First-half goals from Aboubacar Mouctar Sylla and Sylla Aboubacar Lyanga guided the Syli to a comfortable win in Bamako in the reverse fixture last week.

Guinea, still high on confidence from their 2-1 international friendly win over Algeria away from home, will now be confident of holding onto their lead and subsequently qualifying for what would be their first CHAN tournament.

The Local Lions finished fourth at the inaugural event in the Ivory Coast before falling out in the group stages in Sudan two year's later - Senegal failed to qualify for the latest showpiece in South Africa last year.

Kick-off in the Senegalese capital is set for 17h00.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/578823/Senegal-host-high-flying-Guinea
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 1:39pm On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Cameroon 2016 CHAN Qualifiers Cameroon
Cameroon confident ahead of Congo clash
[/size]

Cameroon supporters

Cameroon's national team are confident they will get a result against Congo in their 2016 CAF African Championships (CHAN) qualifier on Saturday.

When the two teams met recently for the first leg clash they played to a goalless draw in Cameroon.

Cameroon's CHAN squad coach Ntdoungou Mpile believes that this is the right opportunity for his players to make their mark and qualify by winning this match.

“The 0-0 draw at home in the first leg was a good score, because we can score one or two goals to qualify,” he said in the wake of the match in Yaoundé.

The coach described his team, which he had only four days to assemble and train ahead of the first leg, as a “stop gap”, but he believes they will be in better shape for the return game.
“Substantive work must be done to prepare for this match,” Mpile said.

Cameroon’s only appearance at the CHAN finals was in 2011 when they reached the quarterfinals.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/578782/Cameroon-confident-ahead-of-Congo-clash
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 1:43pm On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF 2016 CHAN Qualifiers Ethiopia
Ethiopia aim to make history
[/size]

Ethiopia

The Ethiopian national team are aiming for a strong comeback against Burundi in their second leg of the 2016 CHAN (African Nations Championship) qualifiers on Saturday.

The Walias of Ethiopia lost 2-0 to Burundi in the first leg match of the 2016 Orange African Nations Championship (CHAN) Central-East Zone qualifier.

Ethiopia defeated Kenya with an aggregate result of 2-0 in the first preliminary round of 2016 CHAN qualifiers to advance to the first round of the qualifiers.

National team coach Yohannes Sahle said his team is ready for the victory.

A total of 18 players who play their club football domestically have travelled to Burundi, but left back Tekalegn Dejene is expected to miss this match due to injury.

"Our players are ready for the match and we are focused on winning but we need to convert the goal scoring chances we create. We will try our best to qualify to the next round," Sahle said.

The coach said their focus is to win and qualify for the fourth edition of the CHAN tournament.

"Our effort is to win over the hosts and qualify for the fourth edition of the CHAN. By so doing we will write our own history. That is why I say I don't want to live in the past," he added.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/578783/Ethiopia-aim-to-make-history
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 1:44pm On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF 2016 CHAN Qualifiers Niger
Togo confident of CHAN qualifier turnaround
[/size]

Togo supporter

Togo are confident they can overcome their two-goal deficit when they host Niger in Lomé on Sunday, in the return leg of their 2016 African Nations Championship qualifying tie.

The ‘Mena’ enjoyed a 2-0 win in the first leg in Niamey, thanks to first-half goals from striker Halidou ‘Inzaghi’ and centre-back Dankwa Koffi.

However, ‘Sparrow Hawks’ head coach Tom Saintfiet is adamant his side can still turn things around at home and book their place at the tournament’s finals, which will take place in Rwanda between 16 January and 7 February 2016.

“Niger scored two very early goals. The first one followed a small error from our keeper, but on the second one, there was a foul on him,” Saintfiet said.

“In the second half, Agbenyiadan scored two goals, both ruled out for an offside position.

“We had two clear-cut chances through Folly Klan, but we couldn’t convert them. However, I am proud of my team.

“I said that we need a miracle, and I am confident we can do it. We need to score one goal in the first half, one in the second half and hope for the penalty shootout.”
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/579010/Togo-confident-of-CHAN-qualifier-turnaround
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 9:09pm On Oct 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
I’ll wait for my Eagles chance, Iheanacho tells Oliseh
[/size]

BY EPHRAIM NWOSU

Nigeria youth sensation, Kel­echi Iheanacho has declared that he would continue to bid his time for a Super Eagles’ chance despite being overlooked by Coach Sunday Oliseh in last week’s international friendly against Demo­cratic Republic of Congo and Camer­oon in Belgium.

The 18-year-old was recently pro­moted to Manchester City’s first team prior to the new season following a spectacular pre-season performance, but he was surprisingly snubbed by Oliseh for national team call up.

And speaking exclusively to The Sun Sports through Kennedy Ezenwere, Iheanacho’s mentor and coach at the Taye Academy Owerri, Imo State, the player said he won’t allow himself to be bothered by Nigeria snub because it could affect his output; but would rather concentrate on his game and wait for his time.

Said he: “I spoke with Kelechi again shortly after their match against Bournemouth and he made it clear that he bears no grudge against Oliseh for leaving him out of the friendly games; because he is aware that not everybody can be called to the national team at the same time.

‘’He is still a young player with promising future and I think he would be happy to wait for his time. God’s time, they say, is the best. He knows that when it is his time to be called up to the national team, nobody can stop him.

‘’Like every other player, he is very optimistic that he will play for the Super Eagles some day and he is looking forward to it with great enthusiasm, but he is not desperate about it.

“For now, he wants to keep on doing well with Man City and allow his form to speak for him.’’

Iheanacho came off the bench to score for the Citizens in last weekend 5-1 bashing of Bournemouth but the goal was wrongly disallowed.

The goal would have been his second league goal for City, after only previ­ously making two substitute appear­ances for the former English champions who top the Premier League with twenty one points after nine games.

Meanwhile, contrary to believe, the youngster’s exploits in England has not gone unnoticed by the Nigerian coach.

“Kudos to Kelechi Iheanacho for his goal that gives Man. City the much needed 3 points,” Oliseh reportedly tweeted in recognition of Iheanacho’s goal in the EPL week 5 fixture against Crystal Palace.

The ex-Juventus and Ajax midfielder, however, hinted that Iheanacho was still one for the future, but admitted he could also make the Super Eagles team soon.

“I do admit though that it feels good to have credible options 4 D future (sic), tomorrow na the future too (tomorrow is the future too),” Oliseh added.
[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/ill-wait-for-my-eagles-chance-iheanacho-tells-oliseh/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:05pm On Oct 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Recuperating Oliseh Grateful To Nigerians
BY TAOFEEK LAWAL
[/size]

Super Eagles Head Coach, Sunday Oliseh has been placed on two weeks of compulsory rest after taking ill in camp during preparations for Sunday’s second leg African Nations Championship qualifier against Burkina Faso.

Oliseh suddenly started feeling dizzy on Thursday in Port Harcourt and had to be excused from camp and allowed to travel to Belgium on the advice of the team medics.

Intensive tests were carried out on him at the Mediapark Klinic, Cologne (Germany) where doctors placed him on compulsory rest.

The Super Eagles handler told thenff.com that he is overwhelmed by the messages of support,well wishes and prayers he has been receiving from Nigerians.

“I have been so touched and much moved, almost to tears by the prayers and good wishes I have been receiving from Nigerians. I want to thank them so much for the love and support.

“I was told I should have rested a lot more than I did after the initial illness I had when we concluded our Belgian tour earlier this month. The doctors have now made the rest a compulsory one. I believe that after the two weeks I would be fully recovered,”he explained.

Sunday Oliseh was discovered to have contracted a viral infection in his system and would need to be monitored during the period of rest to ensure complete recovery.

Meanwhile, the home -based senior team, Super Eagles B faces Burkina Faso on Sunday in a crucial CHAN qualifier second leg in Ouagadougou with the players and coaches promising to get the recuperating head coach a ‘get well soon’ victory over their hosts.

Captain Gbolahan Salami told thenff.com that the team is even more determined to get a win for Nigeria and Coach Sunday Oliseh.

“We want to win the game for Nigeria and we believe that securing the CHAN ticket will hasten the complete recovery of our head coach,”Salami said.

Coach Oliseh is expected to resume duties November 9, when the Super Eagles camp opens for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Round 2 fixture against Swaziland.
[/b]

leadership.ng/news/469524/recuperating-oliseh-grateful-to-nigerians

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:07pm On Oct 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
All Set For Eagles, Etalons Clash
BY TAOFEEK LAWAL
[/size]

Following the match coordination meeting at the Splendid Hotel, Ouagadougou, on Saturday, all is now set for tomorrow ’s 2016 African Nations Championship (CHAN) final round, second-leg qualifier between Nigeria and Burkina Faso.

The Eagles go into the game with a 2-0 lead into the final leg, with goals from Yaro Bature and Gbolahan Salami in Port Harcourt ensuring the 2014 bronze medallists start on a good footing at the Stade August 4.

It was at the same venue, back in April 1997, that the Super Eagles greatly enhanced their chances of qualification for the 1998 FIFA World Cup, when defeating the Etalons 2-1 in a dramatic encounter.

Efforts by the host federation (FBF) to move Sunday’s match to 3.30pm, as against the 4pm communicated to the NFF, was opposed by NFF officials led by deputy director (competitions) Bola Oyeyode at the match coordination meeting.

Oyeyode, himself a CAF General Coordinator, produced the letter sent to the NFF by the FBF, to the effect that the match would start 4pm (5pm Nigeria time) and showed same to the Mauritanian match commissioner, Idrissa Sarr. Sarr ruled in favour of Nigeria.
[/b]

leadership.ng/news/469530/all-set-for-eagles-etalons-clash

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:25pm On Oct 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Yobo laments: Eagles will miss Emenike
[/size]

BY EPHRAIM NWOSU

Former Nigeria captain, Joseph Yobo has lament­ed the recent retirement of Super Eagles striker, Emmanuel Emenike from the national team.

Emenike last week took to his instagram handle to an­nounce that he was quitting the national team.

Ironically, Emenike’s announcement was coming on the heels of ‘disrobed’ skipper, Vincent Enyeama who also declared that he was retiring from the national team after falling out with coach Sunday Oliseh prior to the interna­tional friendly against Democratic Republic of Congo in Belgium.

Emenike, got his break with the national team after he was recommended to the then coach Samson Siasia by Yobo.

Speaking with Sunday Sunsports, the erstwhile Everton and Fenerbahce defender expressed worry that things are beginning to fall apart in the Nigerian team.

“I don’t really know what’s going on with our national team. Whatever may be the problem, the Nigeria Football Federation should make effort to resolve it peacefully be­fore it’s too late. A fortnight ago it was Enyeama and now it’s Emenike and I pray it does not continue this way.
“We know that Oliseh is building a new squad, but we still need the experience of players like Emenike, Enyeama and others in the national team.

We should not be losing our best players like that.
“He may not be in the best of form at the moment, but he is a great player any day any time and that he showed when we won the African Cup of Nations in South Africa,” Yobo said. “I am proud of his achievements so far. I know his qualities and that was why I recommended him for the national team and he did not let me down.

“I am very sad about the news. Nevertheless let’s respect his decision and wish him well in his career.’’
Asked who he will tip to step into the shoes left behind by the 28-year- old, he continued: “I don’t know. I am not the coach. But that should not be a problem. We equally have a lot of good strikers, who will be ready for the chal­lenges whenever they are called up for the task but they need the support of the experienced players. I think the technical crew will be able to take care of that.’’
[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/yobo-laments-eagles-will-miss-emenike/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
CHAN qualifier : Eagles vow to win for Oliseh in Ouagadougou
[/size]

Home based Super Eagles have vowed to win today’s African Nations Cham­pionship second leg qualifier against Burkina Faso for their recuperating coach, Sunday Oliseh.

Oliseh, who will miss this cruial game due to ill health ,was on thursday flown abroad for medical treatment and has been placed on two weeks com­pulsory bed rest by doctors in Germany.

The players and coaching crew have promised to punish their host at their backyard as a ‘get well soon’ victory for their head coach.

Captain Gbolahan Salami told thenff.com that the entire team is even more determined as ever to get a win for Nigeria and Oliseh.

“We want to win the game for Nigeria and we believe that securing the CHAN ticket will hasten the complete recovery of our head coach,”Salami said.

Meanwhile, all is set for the match Eagles , Etal­ons clash in Ouagadougou.

The Eagles take a 2-0 lead into the final leg, with goals from Yaro Bature and Gbolahan Salami in Port Harcourt ensuring the 2014 bronze medallists start on a good footing at the Stade August 4.

It was at the same venue, back in April 1997, that the Super Eagles greatly enhanced their chances of qualification for the 1998 FIFA World Cup, defeating the Etalons 2-1 in a dramatic encounter.

The Super Eagles will be adorned in green, while the Etalons will wear white. Libyan referee Mohamed Ragab Omara will be at the centre, assisted by com­patriots Foaad Mohamed El Maghrabi, Baesus Safe- El Naser and Abdallah Baesus Ashraf as assistant 1, assistant 2 and reserve referee respectively.

The winner on aggregate will enter the pot for next month’s Draw for the 4th African Nations Champion­ship, taking place in Rwanda 16 January – 7 Febru­ary, 2016.
[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/chan-qualifier-eagles-vow-to-win-for-oliseh-in-ouagadougou/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:11pm On Oct 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
CHAN Qualifier: Eagles Happy With Burkina Faso Stadium Turf
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu In Ouagadougou:

Home-based Super Eagles stars are delighted with the lush green turf of the August 4 Stadium, here in Ouagadougou which according to them is good for quality football, reports Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

The Eagles had their first feel of the turf on Saturday, their only session before the game against Burkina Faso on Sunday.

The players in a chat with Comple tesportsnigeria.com after the training session said they are happy the pitch won’t hinder their play against the Stallions.

The training which lasted over an hour was supervised by assistant coach of the side, Jean Francois Loscuito.

“I must confess the pitch here in Ouagadougou is fantastic,” Sunshine Stars winger, Prince Aggreh, told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“You don’t have a choice than to play quality football on a super turf like this.”

Warri Wolves centre forward, Gbolahan Salami! also described the playing surface as super.
“That pitch is a good one. It’s certainly good for football,” he added.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/chan-qualifier-eagles-happy-with-burkina-faso-stadium-turf/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:14pm On Oct 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
CHAN: Burkina Faso Star Vows To Upset Nigeria
[/size]

Burkina Faso midfielder, Mohammed Sylla, says the side are looking to create a major upset by stopping Nigeria from making a second consecutive appearance at the African Nations Championships, reports Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

The USFA playmaker and his colleagues face a tough task in their bid to make to the competition as they have to overturn the 2-0 deficit from the first leg.

“It’s going to be a difficult, but I’m confident we can beat Nigeria here in Ouagadougou,” Sylla told comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“We did well in the first leg, but it’s unfortunate that we lost the game.

“Most people expect Nigeria to qualify, but we want to make name for ourselves by qualifying for CHAN.”
The match will kick-off at 4pm (5pm Nigeria time).
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/chan-burkina-faso-star-vows-to-upset-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:16pm On Oct 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Burkina Faso Coach: We’re Ready To Stop Home Eagles
[/size]

Burkina Faso coach, Idrissa Traore, has his eyes firmly placed on securing a berth in the African Nations Championships in Rwanda despite his side trailing Nigeria 2-0 from the first leg match played last weekend in Port Harcourt reports, Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

The Stallions would have conceded more goals in the encounter if not for the poor marksmanship on the part of the Super Eagles strikers, but gave a good account of themselves in the game.

And Traore is confident they can the tables against their more illustrious opponents.
Traore also told Comple tesportsnigeria.com here in Ouagadougou that playing in front of their fans at the August 4 Stadium will be an added motivation for the players.

“Like I said after the game in Nigeria, there was nothing special about your team,” the coach told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

“We have prepared well for the game and I’m sure we can turn things around against Nigeria.
“We have the advantage of playing at home now and I believe that will work in our favour.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/burkina-faso-coach-were-ready-to-stop-home-eagles/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Revealed: Home Eagles Line-Up Against Burkina Faso
[/size]

EXCLUSIVE: By Adeboye Amosu In Ouagadougou:

Nigeria will field the same line-up from their first leg match against Burkina Faso in Sunday’s African Nations Championships return leg fixture here in Ouagadougou, Comple tesportsnigeria.com can exclusively report.
The match is scheduled to kick off at 4pm here in Ouagadougou (5pm Nigerian time).

In-form star, Gbolahan Salami, alongside the duo of Chisom Chikatara and Prince Aggreh were among those who failed to make the starting line-up in the first leg a week ago in Port Harcourt.

Assistant coach of the Eagles, Salisu Yusuf, has however quashed reports they could be handed starts on Sunday.

“All things being equal, we are starting with the same players that started the game last week,” Yusuf told Comple tesportsnigeria.com after the team’s training session on Saturday at the August 4 Stadium, here in Ouagadougou.

“All the players have trained well and should every one stay fit, then we won’t be changing the first eleven.”

This is how the Eagles are expected to line up: In goal, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, left-back Chima Akas, Kalu orji who replaced the injured Solomon Kwambe in the first leg is the right-back. The centre-backs are Jamiu Alimi and Austin Oboroakpo.

Midfield three will be Paul Onobi, Ifeanyi Mathew and Bature Yaro.
Ezekiel Bassey, Osas Okoro and Tunde Adeniji will be the front three.

Line-up vs Burkina Faso:
Ikechukwu Ezenwa
Chima Akas
Kalu Orji
Jamiu Alimi
Austin Oboroakpo
Paul Onobi
Ifeanyi Mathew
Bature Yaro
Ezekiel Bassey
Osas Okoro
Tunde Adeniji
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/revealed-how-home-eagles-will-line-up-against-burkina-faso/

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 3:59pm On Oct 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Sharks FC defender, Chima Akas, has said the team has resolved to beat Burkina Faso for the second time in Sunday’s return leg of the African Nations Championship qualifier in Ouagadougou.

The Eagles hold a 2-0 advantage going into the second leg, but Akas who spoke with Goal shortly before the team departed for Ouagadougou, said his team mates know the importance of not only sitting back and trying to protect their advantage.

“We are ready and raring to go. We won’t give anything to chance in Ouagadougou because the confidence and the mood in camp is that we will like to qualify for Rwanda 2016. We are not bothered about any hearsay from Burkina Faso coach or whoever.
We are only concerned about our own game,” Akas told Goal.
[/size]
Sharks FC defender, Chima Akas, has said the team has resolved to beat Burkina Faso for the second time in Sunday’s return leg of the African Nations Championship qualifier in Ouagadougou.
The Eagles hold a 2-0 advantage going into the second leg, but Akas who spoke with Goal shortly before the team departed for Ouagadougou, said his team mates know the importance of not only sitting back and trying to protect their advantage.
“We are ready and raring to go. We won’t give anything to chance in Ouagadougou because the confidence and the mood in camp is that we will like to qualify for Rwanda 2016. We are not bothered about any hearsay from Burkina Faso coach or whoever. We are only concerned about our own game,” Akas told Goal.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/chan-eagles-targeting-away-win-akas/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:08pm On Oct 25, 2015
Nigeria advance to 2016 CHAN after 0-0 in Burkina Faso

Salami celebrates Nigeria's second goal against Burkina Faso in Port Harcourt a week ago

Nigeria Sunday did enough to qualify for their second CHAN after they held hosts Burkina Faso to a 0-0 draw to advance 2-0 on aggregate.

The first leg in Port Harcourt a week ago ended 2-0 in favour of the home-based Eagles.

Hosts Burkina Faso dominated the return leg game, but just could not translate this dominance into goals as the Eagles struggled to find their bearing and did not create chances.

And so the boast of Burkina Faso coach Idrissa Traore that his team will cancel out Nigeria’s two goals within 30 minutes of the second leg was therefore just what it was - a boast.

The Eagles starting strike force led by Sunshine Stars striker Tunde Adeniji, which also had Ezekiel Bassey and Osas Okoro, was again ineffective as was the case in the first leg in Nigeria.

Gbolahan Salami and Chisom Chikatara were introduced in the second half in an effort to pep up the Nigeria attack.

The highlight of the match was recorded in the 21stminute, when the home team Burkina Faso failed to go ahead from the penalty spot after Austin Oboroakpo handled the ball inside his own 18-yard box.

Abia Warriors defender Oboroakpo was booked for the hand ball.

Oboroakpo, who has been compared to ‘Gentle Giant’ Uche Okechukwu, was outstanding in the heart of the Eagles defence as he kept out everything Les Etalons threw at them.
It also showed where the pressure was.
Nigeria starting XI vs Burkina Faso
Ikechukwu Ezenwa – Chima Akas, Orji Kalu, Austin Oboroakpo, Jamiu Alimi (Stephen Eze 46) – Paul Onobi, Ifeanyi Matthew, Bature Yaro – Ezekiel Bassey, Tunde Adeniji (Chisom Chikatara 71), Osas Okoro (Gbolahan Salami 57)

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:00pm On Oct 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
How Home-Based Super Eagles Rated Vs Burkina Faso
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu, who was in Ouagadougou:

IKECHUKWU EZENWA 7/10
The goalkeeper made some crucial saves in the game and was one of the reasons why the Burkinabes were unable to breach the Eagles defence for the entire duration of the match.

KALU ORJI 5/10
The right-back struggled to cope with the pace of the game as the Stallions found joy in attacking from his side of the defence.

AUSTIN OBOROAKPO 8/10
The Abia Warriors centre-back proved his class once again as he marshalled the Eagles defence with dexterity. He was duly picked by the local media as the best Super Eagles player in the game.

JAMIU ALIMI 5/10
Proved to be a good partner for Oboroakpo. He put up a good performance in the first half, but an ankle injury forced him off at half-time.

CHIMA AKAS 7/10
Gave a good account of himself and proved a worthy captain on the day as he consistently thwarted all efforts by the Stallions attackers to pass through him.

PAUL ONOBI 6/10
Started slowly but grew in confidence as the game progressed. He provided support for the centre-backs even though he offered little going forward.

IFEANYI MATHEW 5/10
Mathew never really imposed himself in the middle of the park like he hid in the first leg. He was subdued by the trickery of Burkina Faso No.10, Mohammed Sylla, who was fantastic for the Stallions.

BATURE YARO 6/10
The midfielder was nowhere near his best but still managed to put up an above average showing in the game.

EZEKIEL BASSEY 7/10
The Enyimba winger who was criticised for his below par showing in the first leg put up a fine performance as he was a constant threat to the opposition.

OSAS OKORO 4/10
Struggled to get going in the game and was duly substituted in the second half.

TUNDE ADENIJI 5/10
The Sunshine Stars forward was closely marked by the opposing defenders. He also failed to convert the few chances that came his way.

SUBSTITUTES
STEPHEN EZE 6/10
The towering Sunshine Stars centre-back proved a suitable replacement for the injured Jamiu Alimi. Combined well with Oboroakpo to keep the Burkinabes at bay.

GBOLAHAN SALAMI 4/10
Made a couple of good runs into the opposition half, but his introduction did little to ease pressure on the Eagles.

CHISOM CHIKATARA 3/10
Came in for Adeniji in the closing stages of the game. Didn't have enough minutes to impress.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/how-home-based-super-eagles-rated-vs-burkina-faso/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:03pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
Home Eagles Get $2,000 Each For Burkina Faso Draw
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu, who was in Ouagadougou:

Each member of the home-based Super Eagles side was paid $2,000 as bonus for the draw against Burkina Faso, Com pleportsnigeria.com can report.

The team qualified for the African Nations Championships 2-0 on aggregate following a 0-0 draw against Burkina Faso in Ouagadougou on Sunday.

The Super Eagles were also paid $2,000 as bonus for the 2-0 win in the first leg in Port Harcourt.
The team returned to Abuja at around 1am Monday morning.

Meanwhile, Abia Warriors centre-back Austine Oboroakpo was picked by the local media as the best Eagles player
Oboroakpo was excellent throughout the game and impressed the Burkinabe journalists into voting him as Nigeria's man of the match.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/home-eagles-get-2000-each-for-burkina-faso-draw/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:06pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
George Abbey Backs Home Eagles For 2016 CHAN
[/size]

Former Super Eagles defender, George Abbey, has congratulated the home-based Eagles for qualifying for next year's Championship for African Nations, holding in Rwanda.

The home-based Eagles held Burkina Faso to a 0-0 draw in Ouagadougou in the return leg of the CHAN qualifier on Sunday, to progress 2-0 on aggregate. ‏

Reacting to the team's qualification, the 2004 Africa Cup of Nations bronze medal winner expressed optimism that the team will do well in Rwanda.
"Well done to Super Eagles on qualification to Rwanda 2016. I trust the boys to put on a good show next year #UpEagles," he wrote on his Twitter handle on Monday.

The home-based Eagles will be making their second appearance in the competition after debuting in 2014 in South Africa where they finished third.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/george-abbey-backs-home-eagles-for-2016-chan/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Adepoju: CHAN Eagles Feat Good Advert For Glo Premier League
[/size]

By Sab Osuji:

Mutiu Adepoju, a former Nigerian international, has commended the home-based Super Eagles for qualifying for the 2016 Championship for African Nations in Kigali, Rwanda, saying the team have proved worthy ambassadors of the Nigeria domestic football league.

Adepoju, who is the administrator of Kwara Football Academy, told Comple tesportsnigeria.com Monday that the home-based Eagles draw in Ougadougou, Burkina Faso, which fetched the country a second consecutive CHAN ticket was a perfect advertisement for the vast improving league in Nigeria.

"That was a good result, winning 2-0 at home in the first leg and playing a goalless draw in Burkina Faso to qualify for a consecutive CHAN tournament shows there are a great deal of talents in the domestic league," Adepoju told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"It reflects the improvements we have been witnessing in the league since last year.
"I would say its a good advertisement for our league.
"I can only say the players should take this to the championship proper and ensure they did much better than their predecessors did last year in January.

"We won bronze in the last edition in South Africa which was our first time qualification but who knows this present squad can surpass that performance if they keep their heads low."
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/adepoju-chan-eagles-feat-good-advert-for-glo-premier-league/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:21pm On Oct 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel Set For Third Chelsea Start, Aluko Doubtful
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mikel-boosted-hull-city-clash/[/img]
By Johnny Edward:

Super Eagles midfielder Mikel Obi is poised for his third start this season for Chelsea when they take on Stoke City as they continue the defence of their Capital One Cup at Brittania Stadium.

Mikel who came on for Cesc Fabregas on Saturday as Jose Mourinho’s men suffered a 2-1 defeat away at West Ham, their fifth league defeat of the season, is expected to start in the absence of Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic who is suspended for the fixture.

His first start of this season was in Chelsea's 4-1 win away at Walsall in the third round of the competition while his second came in the Blues 2-1 loss away to FC Porto in the UEFA Champions League at the Estadio Dragao.
It will be his seventh appearance this season for the Blues who are languishing in the 15th position on the EPL log.

Elsewhere, Sone Aluko is a major doubt for Hull City who will be looking to make history on Tuesday night when they host Premier League Leicester City in the fourth round of the Capital One Cup.
Aluko pulled out of Saturday’s game during the pre-match warm-up when he injured his thigh.

The Tigers have never gone beyond round four of the competition, and to do so this season Steve Bruce’s in-form team will have to stop a Leicester side that has been flying of late and lost only one game all season.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/mikel-set-for-third-chelsea-start-aluko-doubtful/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:24pm On Oct 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Bremen Coach: Ujah Is Ready To Shoot Down Cologne
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:

SV Werder Bremen coach Viktor Skripnik is hoping Anthony Ujah can replicate his goalscoring feat against Cologne in Tuesday's DFB Pokal Cup at the Weser Stadion.

Ujah, who was one of the 10 Werder players that trained separately indoors at the Weser Stadion ahead of the fixture on Mo​nday, scored a brace against Mainz last Saturday as the Green Whites ended their five-game winless run just as he ended his goal drought of five games.

"I'm very happy that we have Ujah. He's an important player at Werder and is looking forward to the game," Skripnik told the club's website.

Meanwhile, Ujah who took his Bundesliga goal tally to four at the weekend admitted that they overcame the pressure at the Coface Arena against FSV Mainz.
"Back to winning ways. Let's keep fighting boys. Our away fans were great and loud.

"We have been under a lot of pressure in the last few weeks, but we have overcome it.
"It was an amazing feeling, especially as the Mainz fans applauded me. But we have to look forward and concentrate on the upcoming important matches," he told his club's official website.

The encounter will see the Werder players wear a new kit.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/bremen-coach-ujah-is-ready-to-shoot-down-cologne/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:26pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
Home Eagles To Commence Preparations Early For CHAN
[/size]
By Adeboye Amosu:

The home-based Super Eagles will commence preparations early for the African Nations Championship in Rwanda, Comple tesportsnigeria.com can report.

The Eagles secured a place in the competition courtesy of a 2-0 aggregate win against Burkina Faso on Sunday.

A top official of the Nigeria Football Federation revealed to Comple tesportsnigeria.com that the football house will ensure the team prepare adequately for the competition.

"We will ensure the team starts training on time for the CHAN in January," he informed Comple tesportsnigeria.com in Ouagadougou.

"We came third at the last edition of the competition in South Africa and we want to make sure we win the trophy this time around.
"To do that, we must start preparations for the competition on time."

The competition will be staged in Rwanda from January 16 to February 7, 2015.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/home-eagles-to-commence-preparations-early-for-chan/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:20am On Oct 27, 2015
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel Set For Third Chelsea Start, Aluko Doubtful
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mikel-boosted-hull-city-clash/[/img]
By Johnny Edward:

Super Eagles midfielder Mikel Obi is poised for his third start this season for Chelsea when they take on Stoke City as they continue the defence of their Capital One Cup at Brittania Stadium.

Mikel who came on for Cesc Fabregas on Saturday as Jose Mourinho’s men suffered a 2-1 defeat away at West Ham, their fifth league defeat of the season, is expected to start in the absence of Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic who is suspended for the fixture.

His first start of this season was in Chelsea's 4-1 win away at Walsall in the third round of the competition while his second came in the Blues 2-1 loss away to FC Porto in the UEFA Champions League at the Estadio Dragao.
It will be his seventh appearance this season for the Blues who are languishing in the 15th position on the EPL log.

Elsewhere, Sone Aluko is a major doubt for Hull City who will be looking to make history on Tuesday night when they host Premier League Leicester City in the fourth round of the Capital One Cup.
Aluko pulled out of Saturday’s game during the pre-match warm-up when he injured his thigh.

The Tigers have never gone beyond round four of the competition, and to do so this season Steve Bruce’s in-form team will have to stop a Leicester side that has been flying of late and lost only one game all season.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/mikel-set-for-third-chelsea-start-aluko-doubtful/

Mikel why did you allow Mourinho to fool you this much.
He just tied you down, so that you may be part of his failure tales. If only you had left Chelsea earlier, you would have been a top and respected member of your to be new Club. How long do you want to continue being part of history, but on a wrong side. Mourinho destroyed your career, but how long will you allow him to continue with the distruction?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:22am On Oct 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh must now build on CHAN success
[/size]

Salute to CHAN success - Coach Oliseh salutes Bature Yaro after his opening goal against Burkina Faso in Port Harcourt

After a rather difficult start at the helm of the Super Eagles, coach Sunday Oliseh now has something to cheer him up following Nigeria’s qualification to next year’s Championship of African Nations (CHAN) in Rwanda.

The team drawn from the Nigeria domestic league showed a big heart to eliminate Burkina Faso 2-0 on aggregate to reach the final tournament in January.

It will be only the second time Nigeria have qualified for this biennial competition reserved for players plying their trade in their home leagues.

Last year, the team finished third in South Africa on their debut appearance in the tournament with the main criticism being that the players were not truly representative of the best the Nigeria league could offer.

That cannot be said of the current team courtesy of the thorough work assistant coach Salisu Yusuf embarked on to ensure only the best players on current form in the league are considered.

Yusuf is a product of the league having featured for Ranchers Bees at the peak of their glory days and El Kanemi.

And his coaching career has also spanned across clubs like Enyimba, Kano Pillars, Lobi Stars and FC Taraba with laudable successes.

All the same, there is an urgent need for the coaches to spread their dragnet to take in more players particularly as the league has reached its business end.

Players like Tony Okpotu (Lobi Stars), Esosa Igbinoba (Nasarawa United), Joseph Osadiaye (Warri Wolves) and Joshua Enaholo (Enyimba) ought to get a look-in.

The 2016 CHAN will be another platform for the players in the league to impress Oliseh to consider them for the main Super Eagles.

The likes of Gbolahan Salami (Warri Wolves), Chima Akas (Sharks), Usman Mohammed (FC Taraba), Austin Oboroakpo (Abia Warriors) and Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Sunshine Stars) have already been capped at full international level, while Paul Onobi (Sunshine Stars), Ezekiel Bassey (Enyimba), Chisom Chikatara (Abia Warriors) and Ifeanyi Matthew (El Kanemi) are knocking on the door.

And given the necessary exposure and confidence, these players could go on to become integral members of the main national team.

If the players need extra motivation, the CHAN will again be a shop window for them to sign lucrative deals overseas.

Last year, Ejike Uzoenyi and Ugonna Uzochukwu moved to South Africa on the back of their performances at the competition.

It is expected that the team will reassemble in December for a training camp ahead of the final tournament the following month.

Oliseh will therefore have enough time to put across his new philosophy and vision to this team.

But for the uncertainty surrounding Governor Nyesom Wike, Rivers State Government would again have come to the rescue of the cash-strapped Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to pick the bills of such a training camp.

The NFF may now have to shop for another large-hearted benefactor.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/579812/Oliseh-must-now-build-on-CHAN-success

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.