Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,400 members, 7,846,689 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (250674 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:55am On Nov 12, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Well, still looks creepy to me...... Because mistakes that cost teams are "part of Goalkeeping" but of course shouldn't be condoned on a "regular basis".

*smiles*

Didn't say Martinez is horrible..... Was emphasizing that he's not special. Ikeme is as good if not better than he is. And having watched them both for a while..... I'd say Ikeme is better. But hey! Martinez is good, but mehn!! Ikeme is better.

Whatever this is, it sure looks like "subtle" politics to me.

It wasn't just any mistake, it was one of those that takes a special coach to forgive, infact I was scared when Oliseh selected him so soon after but that withstanding he has showed great form for Nigeria.
Anyhow i believe Martinez is injured because Ikeme played 15 minutes of their last game and made a fine save on a defected free kick.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 12:42pm On Nov 12, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
If the coaches play me, I will deliver,"...Kelechi Iheanacho (Nacho)

A wise former Super Eagles coach of Nigeria (Coach Monday Sinclair) once said, "What separates an ordinary player from a Super Star is the head and not the Skills."

Iheanacho bags loads of confidence and skills. His mindset is one of the reasons I believe strongly that he will become one of the World's greats.

He did not say he will try his best. He did not say he hopes he can impress the coach. He says, "He will deliver." Nothing shakes his belief in his ability.

#TeamNacho.

The guy has confidence, he is not afraid to compete at the highest level. He is ready to rub shoulders with the Senior players in the Super Eagles.
#TeamPlayNacho#

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
^^^^^^^^

@the above......

I agree with Coach Oliseh..... It's indeed "political" and kinda "creepy"...... Arsenal's 4th choice goalie, Martinez didn't suddenly become better..... It's just the Wolves' coach "crazy" preference...... *smiles*

Anyway, keep "fighting" Ikeme..... Keep "that" attitude......

As far as you are an African or Black, the White will always see you as a second option no matter how hardworking you may be. The White may consider you only when there are no close rivals who are white,

Was it not this same Karl Ikeme who broke his hand out of anger because of a goal he conceded? I think his problem started after that injury/incident.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:54pm On Nov 12, 2015
On the first paragraph....... Naah, I don't quite agree 100%.

It's true there's some kind of discrimination by majority of the whites BUT IT'S ALSO TRUE that it doesn't apply to all.

I'm an example of a "Black" who was selected on "merit" alone as regards my scholarship studies with Hopkins. A lot of brilliant whites competed for that "one slot" as it was a global test/selection process but to God's Glory, I made it despite my race.

More examples abound to show that this "WHITES DOES NOT REGARD BLACKS" mentality is not 100% correct. Maybe it's 80-85% true but that 20-25% difference is just what it is, "A DIFFERENCE".

It's up to us to understand when this "discrimination" is the issue OR when it has to do with Blacks not being good enough due to poor skills.

Yes!!!! There's still discrimination BUT YES AGAIN!!! There's still "room" for merit...... Not all "Whites" think the same.

Besides, no matter how much they hate..... If you are a world-class potential, and you keep working your socks off, you can't be put down for long. That's my mentality.

****SMILES****

BlackAlbino6:

As far as you are an African or Black, the White will always see you as a second option no matter how hardworking you may be. The White may consider you only when there are no close rivals who are white,

Was it not this same Karl Ikeme who broke his hand out of anger because of a goal he conceded? I think his problem started after that injury/incident.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:38pm On Nov 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Musa: We Will Approach Swaziland Game Like W/Cup Final
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:
Super Eagles captain, Ahmed Musa has told Comple tesportsnigeria.com that the team will take nothing for granted against Swaziland in Friday's 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying fixture.

The Super Eagles will take on the Shilangu at the Somholo National Stadium, in their first game, first leg in the qualifying series.

It will be first the meeting between both sides at the international level.
Sunday Oliseh's men are expected to roll over the Shilangu who defeated Djibouti 8-1 on aggregate in the preliminary round.

But Musa, a member of Nigeria's squad to to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil informed Comple tesportsnigeria.com the side harbour no such thought and rather will approach the game like a World Cup final.

"There are no minnows in football these days. Tanzania proved that to us recently,"the Russia based winger told ‎Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"We can't go over there and think we will beat them just because they are not a known force in African football.

"We are going to approach the game like a World Cup final even though they are not a top football nation."
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/musa-we-will-approach-swaziland-game-like-wcup-final/

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Olofinjana: Good To See Martins, Iheanacho In Super Eagles Squad
[/size]
Former Super Eagles midfielder Seyi Olofinjana speaks exclusively to Comple tesportsnigeria.com's IZUCHUKWU OKOSI on his expectations from the FIFA U-17 World Cup-winning starlets and the Super Eagles squad that will begin their quest for a ticket to the 2018 World Cup with a second round qualifying game against Swaziland on Friday…

Nigeria just won the FIFA U17 World Cup for a record fifth time in Chile. While watching the team during the World Cup, did you have fears they might not get as far as the semi-finals after the group stage defeat to Croatia?

Perhaps complacency was beginning to set in, you might think…

With regards to our U-17 team that just won the World Cup, there was no doubt in their abilities but I was fearful of their cohesion initially and whether or not they would fade away as the tournament progressed, which is typical of our national teams but they kept the fire burning till the end. Fair play to them.

Victor Osimhen finished the tournament as top scorer with a new record of 10 goals scored in a single U-17 World Cup tournament. Some Nigerians believe we have a new partnership in prospect for the Super Eagles between him and Taiwo Awoniyi. That must be promising, isn't it?

Victor's heroics at the World Cup are just phenomenal. He scored goals with ease but amazingly kept his desire to get better with each game. Only God knows what the future holds. A partnership with Taiwo Awoniyi will be great but my prayer is that we keep nurturing these youngsters and build up systematically such that they fulfil their potential.

What reward do you think is appropriate for the team from President Mohammadu Buhari's government?

The team should and must be adequately rewarded (left to the Federal Government) but essentially we should disallow individuals resting on their laurels and encourage them to strive towards greater things.

A school of thought is of the opinion that when a player is good enough, he is old enough. Do you feel the present Golden Eaglets players are good enough for the U-23 Eagles or the senior national team now, or they should just be allowed to concentrate on progressing to the U-20 level first?

These U-17 stars are by no means good enough to play for the Super Eagles. Gradual introduction into the fray would be key though. I will love to see them rise through the ranks but they could be invited for camping with the big boys or for friendlies.

The Super Eagles are playing against Swaziland in a 2018 World Cup qualifying match on Friday. Obafemi Martins is back in the team, OdionIghalo is in form, Kelechi Iheanacho is invited too. Do you feel we're going to see a strong Super Eagles like the 90s and early 2000s in Sunday Oliseh's squad?

I am pleased with the individuals joining the Super Eagles. I'm excited by the recall of Obafemi Martins and the invitations of Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi and some other exciting players but thinking they will come together in a short period of time and set the world ablaze is kidding ourselves. Yes, it has the potential of being a good or great squad again but only time would tell.

So many Nigerians follow the English Premier League. You once played in the Premier League for Stoke City yourself. How do you see the bad season of Chelsea and the many troubles of Jose Mourinho, the promise shown by Arsenal and the surprise by a few so-called mid-table teams in the EPL like Leicester City and West Ham United ?

Chelsea's season has been disappointing really. They need to start winning regularly. The fact that some of the so called "mid-table teams" are doing well in the EPL is testament to how managerial experience is key in galvanising "ordinary players" into world beaters. Simply put, man management is very, if not more important than being a tactical genius.

Many Nigerian fans may not be aware of your career at the moment. Please tell your fans about you since you stopped playing for the Super Eagles…

Career wise, I am working as a technical/Sports director at Wolverhampton Wanderers. Also, I'm a qualified UEFA A license holder amidst other qualifications.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/olofinjana-good-to-see-martins-iheanacho-in-super-eagles-squad/

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:48pm On Nov 12, 2015
[size=14pt]
John Ogu Gets Married In Lagos
[/size]
Nigeria midfielder John Ogu, 27, has quit bachelorhood, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Hapoel Be’er Sheva midfielder did his registry wedding to Chiugo in Lagos on Thursday and shared photographs of the event on Twitter.

Along with photogtaphs of himself and his new bride, Chiugo, Ogu wrote: “Thank You Great God!!!You the best God.”

The Super Eagles star recently proposed in a spectacular manner during a match and the story has now been completed.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/john-ogu-gets-married-in-lagos/

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ekpo: 1-0 Win Is Enough For Nigeria Over Swaziland
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Former Nigeria international Friday Ekpo has tasked the Super Eagles to put up a good performance against Swaziland in Friday's 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier.

In a chat with comple tesportsnigeria.com, Ekpo stated that though he expects the Eagles to win, he is more interested in how the team plays.

"I want to say I wish them well I expect them to give us a good game. They should play as a group, work as a team and I believe victory will be theirs," the forme Eagles midfielder said.

" I wouldn't want to join issues with people that always say anytime we play teams like Swaziland, we should whitewash them with 5-0, 6-0, it could happen, but it all depends on how you plan your game.

" But I want to see them coordinate themselves and show every Nigerian that they are a talented bunch.

" I don't expect a whitewash, a 1-0 win is a win because they still have the return leg to play. But what is also important is how they play, what pattern was on display.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ekpo-1-0-win-is-enough-for-nigeria-over-swaziland/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:58pm On Nov 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh Confident As Super Eagles Land In Swaziland
[/size]

The Super Eagles and a confident coach Sunday Oliseh have arrived in Swaziland ahead of Friday’s 2018 FIFA World Cup African second round clash with the Sihlangu, the Nigeria Football Federation announced on Thursday.

The delegation led by NFF 1st Vice President, Seyi Akinwunmi, travelled aboard a chartered Arik Air Boeing 737-800 aircraft from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja and landed at the Matsapha International Airport, Manzini at 4pm Swazi time (3pm Nigeria time), after six hours.

NFF President Amaju Pinnick, who had just arrived after a 25-hour shuttle from Chile where the Golden Eaglets retained the FIFA U-17 World Cup on Sunday, saw off the delegation that also included Chairman of NFF Technical and Development Committee, Chief Felix Anyansi-Agwu.

The delegation also included NFF Technical Committee member, Mutiu Adepoju, 24 players, Oliseh, other technical and backroom staff and NFF management staff.

At the Matsapha International Airport, the group was received by about three dozen excited Nigerians based in Swaziland, who cheered lustily and sang various songs as players and officials walked into awaiting buses. They were clad in T-shirts specially made for the occasion.

“We really appreciate this show of love from fellow Nigerians, who have left their businesses in various areas of Swaziland to come and welcome the National Team of Nigeria,” said leader of delegation, Akinwunmi.

The Super Eagles had a feel of the Somhlolo National Stadium, venue of Friday’s match, as Oliseh supervised a 45-minute session under the floodlights.
Oliseh said: “Our objective is clear. We are here to play well and win well. The NFF are doing their part well by ensuring comfortable traveling and accommodation arrangements. Now, we will go to the field tomorrow and give our very best for our country.

“I have confidence in this group. The players still need time and matches to bond together very well, but I love the hunger to achieve that I see in these boys.”

Friday’s match will kick off at 7pm Swaziland time, which is 6pm in Nigeria.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/oliseh-confident-as-super-eagles-land-in-swaziland/

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:04pm On Nov 12, 2015
[size=14pt]
Shehu loses father
By Gary Al-Smith
[/size]
[img]http://images.supersport.com/2015/11/Abdullahi%20Shehu=nigeria-bpp-300.jpg[/img]
Shehu Abdullahi © shengolpix

The camp of Nigeria is bereaved after defender Shehu Abdullahi lost his father Wednesday.
However, the national team camp says the player can feature in the 2018 World Cup qualifier in Swaziland on Friday if need be.

Abdullahi senior passed on in Sokoto and his son was informed of the news following the Eagles training at the Abuja National Stadium.

A player who has been earning reviews for his versatility, Shehu has never been shy of giving his father immense credit for his successful career, from his early days at Plateau United to Kano Pillars and now in Portugal.

Shehu left Nigeria for Swaziland along with the rest of the Eagles squad Thursday morning and is likely to start against the southerners on Friday evening.

www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/151112/Shehu_loses_father_on_qualifier_eve

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:06pm On Nov 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Oliseh Rejects Code of Conduct for Eagles
[/size]
By Jude Opara
Abuja — Super Eagles Chief Coach, Sunday Oliseh says he does not see the reason for the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to introduce the Code of Conduct for members of the senior national team.

Addressing the sporting media in Abuja yesterday, Oliseh he believes that as professional players the boys know how to behave while in the national team's camp and do not need to be forced into writing an undertaking like school children.

"These players are men and some of them are even married and so deserve some respect. As professionals, they know how to behave in camp. If you want respect as a coach you give it. If you want respect as a player you should also give it".

The former player of the defunct Julius Berger FC of Lagos also said he was not responsible for the recent poor ranking of the Super Eagles on the monthly ranking by FIFA because he had barely taken over the national team. Nigeria dropped to 59 in the latest ranking released earlier this month.

The four matches he prosecuted, the team lost to Congo 2-0, defeated Guinea 2-0, drew 1-1 with Tanzania and defeated the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon 3-0.

He however said he was not bothered about the FIFA ranking ahead of the World Cup qualifier against Swaziland because his boys are focused in getting the maximum result from the game.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201511120739.html

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:23pm On Nov 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh: No regrets over inviting Iwobi to Eagles
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/bd/74/sunday-oliseh_q5zkl4d2hqwm1kp2xg6l72iqv.jpg?t=-1868882777&w=620&h=430[/img]
The Super Eagles handler has defended his decision to extend an invitation to the Gunners’ forward ahead Swaziland game
Nigeria national team coach Sunday Oliseh has defended his choice of inviting Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi to the Super Eagles ahead Friday’s World Cup qualifier against Swaziland.

Many had felt the 19-year-old does not deserve a place in the country’s senior national team having failed to tie down a regular place in Alex Wenger’s squad.

Reacting to this during a media parley before the team’s departure to Lobamba, the former Super Eagles captain insists the forward is vital to the team and thus deserves his call up.

“I don’t regret extending invitation to the young man Alex Iwobi because he is good player who I know will be vital in this team like the rest of the players invited,” said Oliseh.

“Unless anybody here can tell me that any player playing in the first team of Arsenal is not good enough to be in this team.”

Iwobi made his international debut in Nigeria’s 2-0 defeat to Congo in an international friendly played in Belgium and will be hoping for his first international goal when the Super Eagles face the King’s Shield at the Somhlolo National Stadium.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4093/nigeria/2015/11/12/17249172/oliseh-no-regrets-over-inviting-iwobi-to-eagles

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:31pm On Nov 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Martins and Iheanacho: A match made in heaven?
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/3f/29/obafemi-martins-kelechi-iheanacho_4y6lvoujh9d1odzwf98ghz1e.jpg?t=-104757416&w=620&h=430[/img]
Could the pairing of old and new see Sunday Oliseh’s Nigeria cruise to the World Cup in Russia?

By James Ezimoha
Nothing quite elevates the spirit as having one’s desires met—whether they are pure or downright ugly.

The international invitations handed to Seattle Sounders forward Obafemi Martinsand Manchester City’s youngster Kelechi Iheanachohave not only added more lethal forward options to Sunday Oliseh’s team but have also quelled the increasingly frustrating grumblings of Nigeria fans.

These two inclusions have steered up overwhelming joy, mixed with relief, as the team prepares to face Swaziland in a two-legged World Cup qualifier.

There’s a tingling feeling to Martins’ latest Nigeria recall; the last time he lined up for the Super Eagles, John Ogu and Michael Babatunde were in line to make their senior debuts in March 2013 against Kenya in a World Cup qualifier.
It’s been more than two years.

Martins |A long-awaited return
More intriguingly, however, is the fact that Martins’ absence from the national side almost exactly coincides with the goal drought of the now-retired Emmanuel Emenike.

If you didn’t believe in timing, fate and the likes, this might readjust your thinking.
The Al Ain forward ended his Super Eagles career in October following alleged in-house quibbles and many, including Goal’s Solace Chukwu, believed Emenike's decision to retire from international football at the ripe age of 28was an act of cowardice.

Others, including myself, believed it was only a matter of time before he was exorcised into international oblivion. The decline was sharp and unexpected, both for club and country; from Turkey to the Middle East.

It is quite canny from Oliseh, though: simultaneously handing out invitations to two in-form players who are at opposing ends of their football career spectrum: one 31 and the other 19.

Emenike |His retirement has opened the door for Martins & Iheanacho

Could the injection, and possible combination, of experience (Martins) and youthful exuberance (Iheanacho) take the seemingly resurgent Super Eagles to greater heights?

Tactically, how they would line up, with the preponderance of talents available, might cause Oliseh some (good) headaches. However, as every shrewd coach would do, he must use this to the advantage of the team.

Martins may not have the ability to bulldoze his way through defences, or tire them out for another to capitalize on like lambs readied for slaughter (the kind of tactic Emenike has been credited for), nor does he possess adequate height to dominate the air as the likes of Odion Ighalo, for example.

However, what he brings to the table is the ability to maximize transitional play, making defenders pay for keeping a high line with his pace and incisive finishing.

His almost-telepathic combination with USA’s Clint Dempsey for Sounders in Major League Soccer flourishes on this basis: quick, sharp interchange with purpose, direction and end result. He doesn’t need a second invitation: just lay it into his path, into space, and watch him work his way past defenders, with an almost certainty that he would find the back of the net.
His debut goal against Ireland in 2004 epitomizes this innate ability.

Cue Iheanacho.
The wonderkid is all about pace and vision.
‘Selfish’ is a word that least describes the former U17 star, and despite his current re-sculpturing into an ice-cold striker by Manuel Pellegrini at City, his selflessness is unlikely to be scorched in the flames.

His latest pair of assists came in the 5-1 rout against Crystal Palace in the League Cup, and Martins as well as others would be thrilled to have such an eagle-eye behind or beside them on the pitch.

Iheanacho |Will the youngster play as a striker or an attacking midfielder for Nigeria?

It is yet to be seen where and how Oliseh will use the pair, but the potential interaction and link-up of both players is sure to give Nigeria more options and dynamics when the going gets tough.

Evidently, the inclusion (or recall) of these players to the senior national team may be a tad belated, but it's better late than never!

A note of caution is highly in order at this point, however. The match may be made in heaven but the earthly work requires patience and perseverance. Iheanacho has a whole future ahead of him whilst Martins will surely draw the curtain soon.

For now, may their left feet cause havoc to opposing teams.
[/b]

www.goal.com

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:49pm On Nov 12, 2015
@ BlackAlbino6........ Good Job Sir..... Good job indeed......*smiles*

Love the News Article on Oliseh rejecting "code of conduct" for The Eagles. It's great he sees them as "matured minds" and not as "Robots or mere surbodinates"........ He's showing he can step up more in man-management of these players.... And I believe he'll get better in that area. Good Job Oliseh.....*smiles*

The article on Martins and Iheanacho is lovely too...... My best part? The ending..... "MAY THEIR LEFT FEET cause havoc to opposing teams....." ***read it earlier today on goal.com and just loved it***

Anyway, keep it up........ Sirs Terzurum5 and Orkpekyandega........ I believe you guys just got yourselves another fine OP...... *SMILES*

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 9:15pm On Nov 12, 2015
TheSuperNerd:

Love the News Article on Oliseh rejecting "code of conduct" for The Eagles. It's great he sees them as "matured minds" and not as "Robots or mere surbodinates"........ He's showing can step more in man-management of these players.... And I believe he'll get better in that area. Good Job Oliseh.....*smiles*

The article on Martins and Iheanacho is lovely too...... My best part? The ending..... "MAY THEIR LEFT FEET cause havoc to opposing teams....." ***read it earlier today on goal.com and just loved it***

Anyway, keep it up........ Sirs Terzurum5 and Orkpekyandega........ I believe you guys just got yourselves another fine OP...... *SMILES*

Thanks for the compliment. After following Joseph1013's threads with personalities like you and several others. I used to be shy to comment or make posts. Just picked up courage to do that of recent. I have supported all our national teams, but the heated arguments induced by these updates is what makes the whole thing so interesting.

4 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:23pm On Nov 12, 2015
BlackAlbino6:

Thanks for the compliment. After following Joseph1013's threads with personalities like you and several others. I used to be shy to comment or make posts. Just picked up courage to do that of recent. I have supported all our national teams, but the heated arguments induced by these updates is what makes the whole thing so interesting.
Good job op.
You are free to post any article that is of relevance on the thread.
Ya most welcome, its ya house.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:31am On Nov 13, 2015
BlackAlbino6:

Impressive work @ op let go.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:42am On Nov 13, 2015
TheSuperNerd:

Love the News Article on Oliseh rejecting "code of conduct" for The Eagles. It's great he sees them as "matured minds" and not as "Robots or mere surbodinates"........ He's showing he can step up more in man-management of these players.... And I believe he'll get better in that area. Good Job Oliseh.....*smiles*

The stress for updates would greatly reduce.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:45am On Nov 13, 2015
TheSuperNerd:

The stress for updates would greatly reduce.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:50am On Nov 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ikeme Vows To Prove Doubters Wrong, Stop Swaziland
[/size]

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:
Super Eagles first choice goalkeeper Carl Ikeme has vowed to shame his doubters by proving his mettle against top African and world opposition.

Ikeme told Complete Sports in reaction to insinuations that he cannot stand the test against big African and world opposition stated that he is good enough to face the best teams and players in the world.

"I am here because I am good and I have done well since I made my debut," the Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper told Complete Sports.

"I disagree with those who say I have not really kept against big opposition and that I cannot cope when we face such countries. I will prove myself when that time comes.

"Having played the likes of Congo, Cameroun and Tanzania, I don't think anyone will brand these countries as minnows in African football. Those games were tough and I think I did well at those occasions."

The Wolverhampton Wanderers FC second choice goalkeeper hinted of his resolve to prove his doubters wrong by exceling for both country and club, adding that all it takes to get there is hard work.

He said that he knows why he was relegated to the bench at Wolves, adding that he would resolve that in due course but for now he is working hard to retain his form.

On the Swaziland match billed for Friday, Ikeme said he would play his role by stopping them from scoring against Eagles, pointing that confidence is high and that the Eagles will go for an away victory.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ikeme-vows-to-prove-doubters-wrong-stop-swaziland/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 6:53am On Nov 13, 2015
BlackAlbino6:

You're doing a great job. Your article formats are very impressive; easy to read. Please keep it up.

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:54am On Nov 13, 2015
[size=14pt]
Nigeria: Oliseh Set to Hand Iheanacho Eagles Debut
[/size]
By Augustine Akhilomen
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh, has admitted that he could give Kelechi Iheanacho a starting shirt against Swaziland in a 2018 World Cup qualifier on Friday if the player proves his worth in training.

The 19-year-old was a late inclusion to the Nigeria squad for the game against Tanzania, following the criticism that followed the initial squad list which didn't include his name.

"If he is in better form he will start the game. That's as far as I'm concerned," Oliseh said.
"We still have to train on Wednesday and Thursday before we travel so if he proves to be in better form than the other players in his position, he will start the game, I can tell you that."

Iheanacho has been in fine form for the former English champions, scoring one goal in the Premier League and another in the Capital One Cup, creating two assists in the latter.

allafrica.com/stories/201511121704.html

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:59am On Nov 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
BATTLE OF LOBAMBA: We’ll play well and win well –Oliseh
[/size]

• Game to kick off 6 pm under floodlight

BY GEORGE ALUO AND ROMANUS UGWU (ABUJA)
Super Eagles gaffer, Sunday Oliseh, has assured Nigerians that his wards will not struggle against lowly rated Swaziland today as they begin the race to the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup in the Swazi city of Lobamba.

Oliseh who spoke after his boys had a feel of the Somhlolo National Stadium turf for just 45 minutes last night said the Eagles will not only play well, but win well.

“Our objective is clear. We are here to play well and win well. The NFF are doing their part well by ensuring comfortable traveling and accommodation arrangements. On our part, we will go to the field tomorrow (today) and give our very best for our country,” were Oliseh’s words according to NFF’s official website.

The Eagles arrived in Swaziland yesterday after- noon by 3 pm Nigerian time after flying for six hours aboard a chartered ARIK Air Boeing 737-800 aircraft from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

The team was received at the Matsapha International Airport, Lobamba by about three dozen excited Nigerians based in Swaziland, who cheered lustily and sang various songs as players and officials walked into awaiting buses. They were clad in T-Shirts specially made for the occasion.

NFF vice president and leader of delegation, Seyi Akinwumi told thenff.com that the team felt at home when they saw Nigerians at the airport.

“We really appreciate this show of love from fellow Nigerians, who have left their businesses in various areas of Swaziland to come and welcome the Eagles,” Akinwumi said.

Meanwhile, Eagles captain, Ahmed Musa, had before the team’s departure told Daily Sunsports that the team will not take chances as they begin the Russia 2018 World Cup qualifier.

“We all want to be in Russia because the World Cup is one tournament no player would want to miss. We are beginning the race against Swazi- land and we wont take anything for granted,” Musa said.
[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/battle-of-lobamba-well-play-well-and-win-well-oliseh/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:03am On Nov 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Glo to Eagles: Beat Swaziland, consolidate quest for World Cup ticket
[/size]

Nigeria’s senior national team, the Super Eagles, have been advised to work assiduously towards defeating Sihlangu Semnikati, of Swaziland in Lobamba on Friday to brighten their chance of clinching the 2018 World Cup ticket.

In a press statement issued on Thursday in Lagos, Globacom advised the Super Eagles to be prepared for a tough encounter as there are no minnows in African football again, adding that the Swaziland team will be battle-ready, having recently trashed Djibouti by eight goals to one in the preliminary round.

“It is going to be a crucial encounter in which the Eagles must emerge victorious to advance to the league stage,” the statement added.

Globacom commended the rebuilding process so far undertaken by the Sunday Oliseh-led technical crew with the aim of not only getting the players in shape but also assembling the best 11 capable of making Nigeria proud.

While advising the technical crew to go for the fittest and focused players who can withstand the pressure associated with away matches of this magnitude, the telecommunication company urged the entire team to give their best and ensure that they emerge victorious in the encounter to make the second leg in Port Harcourt less cumbersome.
[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/glo-to-eagles-beat-swaziland-consolidate-quest-for-world-cup-ticket/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:13am On Nov 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Swaziland Vs Nigeria: It’s a David vs Goliath war but…
[/size]
Swaziland shocked Guinea 2-1 in an AFCON qualifier in June and they will be gunning for another famous win against a team coach Harries Bulunga calls “the Nigerian giants” when both sides clash today in a 2018 World Cup eliminator.

Swaziland 30-year-old captain Tony Tsabedze, who has posted spells in South Africa, scored twice in Casablanca against a team who reached the last-eight of this year’s AFCON in Equatorial Guinea.

Before this famous win, the Kingdom of Swaziland had not won on the road in 20 other attempts in the Nations Cup since 1986.

And leading up to the Guinea game, they defeated Tanzania and Lesotho as well as held Madagascar in the COSAFA Cup.
[img]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/eagles-bafana-bafana-play-draw-south-africa/eaglse-bafana-bafana/[/img]
Nigeria’s midfielder John Mikel Obi (C) falls next to South Africa’s defender Thabo Matlaba (L) and midfielder Sibusiso Vilakazi (R) during the 2015 African Cup of Nations qualifying football match between South Africa and Nigeria on September 10, 2014 in Cape Town, South Africa. AFP PHOTO

“We are the underdogs (against Nigeria), we are just a small country trying to establish ourselves in football,” said Bulunga, who leads a country ranked 130th in the world.

“But we’re prepared as we have worked very hard and are now looking forward to the game.
“We don’t have stars, we believe in team work, we are a very united team, who have been together for a long time and we fight for each other and fight for the nation.

“We fight on the pitch to have a level playing ground. So, it will be the quality of Nigeria against the hard work we will all put in.
“We want to make a name for ourselves. We will play to our strengths.”

Bulunga has had a week to train his squad of 23 players from the country’s local league and they have several local conditions working in their favour – the heat, a partisan home crowd and the match will be played on an artificial pitch, which Nigeria’s Europe-based pros could well struggle on.

Nigeria, on the other hand, have thrice been crowned champions of Africa, featured at five World Cups and are ranked 71 spots above their hosts in the FIFA ratings.

However, they are mindful of the fact the home team could still pose a threat in this first-ever meeting with Watford striker Odion Ighalo quick to point out he will approach this tie as he would were he up against Arsenal in the English Premier League.

“There are no small countries in football and so I will prepare to play against Swaziland as I would against Arsenal,” vowed the 26-year-old forward, who will be flanked by jet-heeled wingers

Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon.
Coach Sunday Oliseh was equally wary of the threat Swaziland could present particularly in front of an expectant home crowd at the Somhlolo National Stadium in Lobambo.

“They are a very solid side. In these days of football, it’s not easy to put eight goals past a team (Swaziland dumped Djibouti 8-1 on aggregate to set up the clash against Nigeria). And they also beat Guinea. So, it won’t be easy.

But I know if we play to our optimum, we will do well,” he predicted.
To match his words with action, Oliseh will line-up a settled starting XI with most recent call-ups Obafemi Martins and Manchester City starlet Kelechi Iheanacho not expected to be thrown into the fray from the onset.
[/b]

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/swaziland-vs-nigeria-its-a-david-vs-goliath-war-but/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:19am On Nov 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Yobo Drums Support for Eagles against Swaziland
[/size]

Super Eagles are playing away in Lobamba against Swaziland today

BATTLE OF LOBAMBA
Duro Ikhazuagbe
Former Super Eagles Captain, Joseph Yobo, has called on the senior national team players and coaches to handle today’s 2018 World Cup qualifier against Swaziland with all seriousness to avoid the calamity of Nigeria not qualifying for the Mundial to be hosted by Russia. The game is scheduled to begin at 6pm Nigerian time.

Speaking in Lagos ahead of the clash in Lobamba, the former Everton of England defence stalwart told THISDAY that the greatest mistake Eagles will make is to consider the Southern African nation as minnows.

“This is a very crucial game not minding the fact that we are playing Swaziland. Every game is now very important. It doesn’t matter whether we are playing Argentina or Swaziland.

“There are no minnows in African football anymore. African football is now so tough. What matters most is getting the job done and smiling out of the away game with the crucial three points ahead of the return leg in Nigeria,” observed the former Fenerbahce defender.

Yobo is however happy with Sunday Oliseh on the bench of the Eagles. “We should be able to get victory against Swaziland with the calibre of coaching and players invited for the match.”

The former Eagles supremo described the recall of Obafemi Martins and some other senior players back to the team as a welcome development.

“From my experience as player and captain of the senior national team for several years, I support the recall of some experienced players like Obafemi Martins back to the team. I have been saying it ever since that there is the need for smooth transition of younger players into the squad.

“You just cannot discard your experienced players in favour of inexperienced young players. Things don’t work that way. You need the experience of the senior players in the team. It was like that when I came into the team.

And as a senior player, I was guiding the new, young players until I left,” recalled the Rivers-born ex-international.
Against this background of support for experienced players, Yobo questioned why AFCON 2013 top scorer, Emmanuel Emenike was allowed to quit Eagles when younger players need his experience to guide them.

“I was very upset when I heard that Emenike retired from the team. I was not too happy because Nigeria still needs such an experienced player in the team.

But with Emenike’s exit, I think it is a good decision to bring back Martins who is doing very well for his MLS team in the USA,” reasoned Yobo.

He said that Nigeria lost that ‘fear factor’ in the minds of other African countries because they no longer see in the Eagles experienced players who were household names in the continent.

“We struggled in the last two years before I retired from the senior national team because of the frequency at which inexperienced players were coming into the team and the transition didn’t allow for proper blending before heading out to major competitions. But I see that being a thing of the past now with the coming of experienced senior players doing very well in their clubs,” concludes Yobo.

The reverse fixture clash will be held at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt on Tuesday, November 17 which will see the aggregate winners move to the group stage of the qualifying series.
[/b]

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/yobo-drums-support-for-eagles-against-swaziland/225459/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:22pm On Nov 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Nigeria
Fired-up Swaziland hold mighty Nigeria
[/size]

Eagles star Onazi

Home team Swaziland recorded a huge morale lift when they held three-time African champions Nigeria to a goalless draw in Lobambo on Friday night in a 2018 World Cup qualifier.

Swaziland, ranked 130thin the world, fought toe-to-toe against their more illustrious visitors and have every reason to be proud of this result.

It was a disappointing result for the Super Eagles, who were widely expected to win both home and away in this first-ever match-up between the two countries.

Manchester City starlet Kelechi Iheanacho made his long-awaited Eagles debut with Obafemi Martins also seeing action in the second half after more than two years in the international wilderness.

In the 61stminute Nigeria goalkeeper Carl Ikeme pulled off his only big save of the night when his foot blocked a shot from inside the box.

Otherwise, the Eagles created the better chances with a free kick coming off the post after 57 minutes and both Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon threatened the Swaziland goal in the second half but resolute defending denied them.

From the first half the Super Eagles bossed the possession after they settled quickly into this contest, but it was not until the 25thminute that they created a clear-cut chance when Sylvester Igbonu’s acrobatic kick inside the box was headed out on its way to goal.

Three minutes later, Swaziland goalkeeper Gwebu made a double save to keep out the Super Eagles.

The major threat to the Nigeria goal was skipper Tony Tsabedze and big striker Ndzinisa, who made two attempts at goal in the first half which were off the mark to the relief of the Nigerians.

On a day of several shock results across the continent, Nigeria failed to make their experience and class to count, but they will still be expected to get the job done on Tuesday in Port Harcourt for them to reach the league phase of Russia 2018.

Nigeria – Carl Ikeme – Elderson, Shehu Abdullahi, Godfrey Oboabona, Efe Ambrose – Mikel (Obafemi Martins 71), Ogenyi Onazi, Sylvester Igbonu (Rabiu Ibrahim 46) (Kelechi Iheanacho 66) – Moses Simon, Ahmed Musa (Skipper), Odion Ighalo

Swaziland – Gwedu – Mdluli, Sanhele Mkhweli, Badenhorst, Ndzinisa, Lukhele, Mthunzi Mkhontfo, Dlamini, Njabulo Ndlovu, Tony Tsabedze (Skipper), Phumlani Dlamini
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/585107/Fired-up-Swaziland-hold-mighty-Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2015
[size=14pt]
Akpoborie Questions Obafemi Martins’ Super Eagles Recall
[/size]

Former Nigeria international Jonathan Akpoborie has questioned the recall of Obafemi Martins into the Super Eagles.

Martins, who has been in fine scoring form for Seattle Sounders, made a return to the Eagles after a two-year absence when he replaced Mikel Obi in the team’s 0-0 draw against Swaziland in a World Cup qualifier on Friday.

Reacting to the draw, Akpoborie labelled Nigerian coaches as being sentimental as regards players’ invitation.

“I thought they brought back Martins to score goals for Nigeria?

No Nigerian coach is above sentiments,” Akpoborie wrote on his Twitter handle.

The Eagles will host Swaziland in the reverse fixture on Tuesday in Port Harcourt.

A win for the Eagles will see them progress into the group stage of the qualifiers.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/akpoborie-questions-obafemi-martins-super-eagles-recall/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:50pm On Nov 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Lowly Comoros Hold Ghana In World Cup Qualifier
[/size]

Comoros held Ghana to a shock 0-0 draw in their World Cup qualifier at the Stade Said Mohamed Cheikh Mitsamiouli on Friday to set up a tense return leg in Ghana.

Despite fielding a strong starting line-up that included Swansea star Andre Ayew who captained the team, his younger brother Jordan, Mubarak Wakasso and Chelsea’s Baba Rahman, Avram Grant’s side could not break down the minnows.

Strong favourites Ghana, ranked 30th in the world, later brought on Asamoah Gyan and Emmanuel Agyemand Badu as they desperately sought to win the first leg of the tie.

Comoros, ranked 177th in the world, held on doggedly in front of their home fans and will have something to fight for in the return leg.

The second leg holds in Ghana next week with the aggregate winner proceeding to the final round of the Russia 2018 qualifiers.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/lowly-comoros-hold-ghana-in-world-cup-qualifier/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by enomakos(m): 9:59pm On Nov 13, 2015
Very disappointing result
enyimba will have beaten this swaziland 3-0 away

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:45pm On Nov 13, 2015
enomakos:
Very disappointing result

enyimba will have beaten this swaziland 3-0 away

Where is Enyimba on CAF's football map?
The matches between Swaziland vs Nigeria and Comoros vs Ghana has really shown that football on the continent has grown rapidly and come of age.

The minnows are growing at a very speedy rate, why Africa's football powerhouses are sleeping.

Wake up Nigeria, its time to appraise our football structure rather than shift blames on the players and the coaches.

There is still hope for us. Atleast, a point is better than a draw.

The Swaziland national team deserve a lot of respect going by their perfectly executed match an. It is not easy to hold your own against a team that has one of the best attackers in the world.
#TeamWakeUpSuperEagles#
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 6:03am On Nov 14, 2015
Oliseh had no business removing Mikel in that game. Martins was tiring as a 10, but pure hardwork cannot replace Mikel's role. Musa was nonsense in that game. He should have been removed, but I guessed the Captaincy band deceived Oliseh.

All in all, it was a disappointing match. The only bright spot yet again is Ikeme. He saved us from losing with the occasional saves.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.