Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,207 members, 7,846,007 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (250646 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by enomakos(m): 8:22am On Nov 18, 2015
See wastefulness yesterday

this team is beginning to scared me,we may not qualify for the next afcon with this kinds of performance against egpyt

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 18, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Oliseh: It doesn’t matter if you play at the moon, quality performance is all that matters[/size]

Nigeria on Tuesday qualified for the group stages of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers with a 2-0 victory over Swaziland. The match was played at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt.

Goals from Moses Simon and Efe Ambrose in the second half of the encounter gave the Super Eagles the needed win against 10-man Swaziland after a goalless first leg in Lobamba on Friday.

The Eagles have thus joined such other countries as Gabon, Ghana, Zambia, Uganda, Guinea, Congo DR, Morocco, Libya, Cameroon, South Africa and Congo in the group stages of the qualifiers. The draw for the final phase will be done next year with qualifiers played between 2016 and 2017.

The top five teams from the group stages, which will have four teams each, will represent the continent in Russia.

Nigeria needed a win against the Swazi, who are ranked 134th in the world, after the first leg ended goalless. Coach Sunday Oliseh, who had expressed confidence about his team’s chances, made five changes to the starting line-up in Lobamba.

Swaziland coach, Harries Bulunga, gave thumbs up to the Nigerian bench for the changes made in the starting line-up. He said the changes affected their game plan.

“The changes the Nigerian coach made to the starting line-up helped them and actually affected our plans. We planned to exploit the slow pattern of the Nigerian midfield but that didn’t work because those who played today were much faster,” Bulunga said.

Oliseh surprisingly dropped Chelsea’s Mikel Obi, preferring to start Sunshine Stars Paul Onobi. Onobi has been a quality part of the Eagles B team that qualified for the Championship of African Nations in Rwanda next year. The other changes from the starting team in Swaziland meant that Chima Akas of Sharks was picked ahead of Elderson Echiejile of AS Monaco in the French league and Abia Warriors central defender Austin Oboroakpo was listed instead of Turkey-based Godfrey Oboabona.

Coach Oliseh hailed his players for their sense of urgency in the match.

He said, “Today, we have played well and we have secured the result we needed. But the truth is that we can do much more than this and we will strive to play better with every game.

“The changes we made today were effective. What it shows is that we use the best players available at any given time and we will always do that. It doesn’t matter if you play at the moon; the most important thing is what you are able to do on the pitch. A player’s country of residence doesn’t matter; what matters is giving us quality performance.”

The Eagles dominated the early exchanges of the match as they searched for the goals. Nigeria got the first chance of the game in the second minute when Oboroakpo headed over the bar from a corner kick.

Swaziland’s match tactics of defending and hitting Nigeria on the counter was going according to plan as their backline defended waves of attack from the Eagles. Ighalo, who was Nigeria’s top striker, was never given a breathing space as he was marked out.

In the 12th minute, the Watford striker had a rare shot at goal but shot straight at the Swazi goalkeeper. Ighalo had another chance in the 31st minute after a pass from Onobi found him but he could only shoot wide.

Swaziland had a chance to go into the lead in the 33rd minute after a cross found Sandile Hlatjwako, who shot over from close range. Indeed the 33rd minute miss was the closest the teams ever got at scoring in the first half.

The Eagles got the first goal in the 53rd minute from a free kick curled into the top corner by Moses after Igbonu had been fouled close to the Swazi goal area. They doubled the lead in the 87th minute after Ambrose tapped in another free kick played in by Igbonu from the right side of the Swazi goal.

Swaziland fought to reduce the tally as they forced Ikeme to make a save in the 83rd minute from a Njabulo Ndlovu shot. But they were reduced to 10 men in the 90th minute after Phumlani Dlamini got a second yellow card for a foul on Onazi.

Nigeria starting XI vs Swaziland

Carl Ikeme – Shehu Abdulahi, Chima Akas, Austin Oboroakpo, Efe Ambrose – Ogenyi Onazi, Paul Onobi, Sylvester Igbonu – Moses Simon, Odion Ighalo, Ahmed Musa (captain)

http://punchng.com/wcup-eagles-beat-swaziland-to-progress/[/b]
i think I suport oliseh on this one.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:54am On Nov 18, 2015
krattoss:
i think I suport oliseh on this one.

When we were telling Oliseh when he was criticising Coach Keshi, did he agree? Coach Oliseh himself said only players from top teams should play for the National team. Now he is making U-Turn and saying,

“The changes we made today were effective. What it shows is that we use the best players available at any given time and we will always do that. It doesn’t matter if you play at the moon; the most important thing is what you are able to do on the pitch. A player’s country of residence doesn’t matter; what matters is giving us quality performance.”...Coach Oliseh.

I repeat, he is learning on the job but I believe he is a fast learner. I see him doing well.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:56am On Nov 18, 2015
Coach Oliseh should bring Hope Akpan and Sone Aluko back to the team. They will make the team better and Aluko can fix the gap between the midfield and attack.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 11:00am On Nov 18, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

When we were telling Oliseh when he was criticising Coach Keshi, did he agree? Coach Oliseh himself said only players from top teams should play for the National team. Now he is making U-Turn and saying,

“The changes we made today were effective. What it shows is that we use the best players available at any given time and we will always do that. It doesn’t matter if you play at the moon; the most important thing is what you are able to do on the pitch. A player’s country of residence doesn’t matter; what matters is giving us quality performance.”...Coach Oliseh.

I repeat, he is learning on the job but I believe he is a fast learner. I see him doing well.

Person wey no wear shoe no de know how the tin de feel like

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 11:02am On Nov 18, 2015
enomakos:
See wastefulness yesterday

this team is beginning to scared me,we may not qualify for the next afcon with this kinds of performance against egpyt

We shall qualify. I so much expect the team to gel well as the games and qualifiers go tougher.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 11:05am On Nov 18, 2015
adeyemi2015:

That Onobi guy played a nice game! He played the position very well and was like Pogba with the Ball movement and calmness!

Onobi is a threat to John Mikel Obi's position in the team. Just hope the guys performances does not become a fluke just like Sunday Mba's AFCON triumph
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 11:13am On Nov 18, 2015
krattoss:
chai.oliseh is confused ooo..

make we no fuk up today' oo
No he is not.

[b][size=14pt]
Super Eagles Better Off Without Mikel - Swaziland Coach
[/size]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3088049_obimikel_jpegd350272d820f555866ddbdccb2c8dfa7
Harris Bulunga, the head coach of the Swaziland national football team on Tuesday disclosed that not fielding Chelsea midfielder, Mikel Obi in the FIFA World Cup qualifying match played at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt, led to the 2-0 defeat his team suffered from the Eagles.

He made this remark after the match which saw Moses Simon and Efe Ambrose's goal in the 51st and 84th minute respectively, sent the Swaziland packing from the World Cup qualifier series.

Bulunga said, he expected Oliseh to play Mikel Obi, but it was a surprise to see him on the sideline.
According to him "Sunday Oliseh surprised us with his tactics and choice of players. The Nigerian midfield was generally slow in the first leg in Swaziland."

He stated that the Nigerian midfield was more mobile and fluid in Tuesday's match, adding that the Eagles created more chances in the match. Bulunga noted that the Eagles midfield was more coordinated in yesterday's game.

The Swazi coach also tipped the Eagles to go places in the World Cup qualifying matches.

http://trendysports.com.ng/super-eagles-better-off-without-mikel-swaziland-coach/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 11:15am On Nov 18, 2015
mikron:
why would oliseh bench mikel in this 1st half?

Because Onobi is better than him
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 18, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

football coaches sometimes are like politicians.. they say something today, tommorow, they say another..

but I personally thinks he doesn't give a hoot about any player be it messi or Ronaldo..

and I also like his courage to call shots irrespective of what people thinks or say.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by lexyman(m): 11:34am On Nov 18, 2015
krattoss:
yes but it's good to give credit to who and when its due

Yes , he deserves some credits bringing in some good home based stars , the defense line is not bad , also d dm (Paul ) .by now he have a good picture of what he will arrange for the chan tournament. ....

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:50am On Nov 18, 2015
Onobi did great but to me the story of this game begins and ends with Onazi, he had a man of the match performance. The way he moved the offence just totally surprised me, his passes were on point, he dribbled his way through the defence and created chances. It might be too late but i feel Oliseh should make him captain cuz that band is weighing Musa down, he didnt do one thing well yesterday he was the opposite of himself with his club side. Also that Nigerian Hazard Ezekiel Bassey whenever they kick him, I'm i the only one who thinks he is smiling? Lol the same thing with the penalty against Burkina Faso, i though he was laughing till they brought in the stretcher for him.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:54am On Nov 18, 2015
Isaac Success. The answer.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 18, 2015
justiz5:

Onobi is a threat to John Mikel Obi's position in the team. Just hope the guys performances does not become a fluke just like Sunday Mba's AFCON triumph
Hopefully!
Seriously we need the Guy in the Team more than Mikel! Onazi was able to marshal the midfield confidently and superbly because he had a good backup in the Lad!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 2:47pm On Nov 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh moves pay off in victory vs. Swaziland[/size]

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/photo/2015/1117/r26744_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc[/img]

There was not much routine about the performance, however. Swaziland made life tough for the Super Eagles and even came close to a first half goal. But they were eventually subdued by an excellent free kick from Moses Simon, and Efe Ambrose's late side-footed finish from Sylvester Igbonu's free kick. Here are five points from Tuesday's match:

Oliseh's lineup curveball

After their previous game, one observation was that head coach Sunday Oliseh's team picks itself, in somewhat predictable style. But on Tuesday, Oliseh apparently decided to change things up and threw a massive curveball.

Out went John Obi Mikel, Elderson Echiejile and Godfrey Oboabona from the team which started the first leg. In their place came local players Austin Oboroakpo, Paul Onobi and Chima Akas.

It may have been only Swaziland, and in a home game for that matter, but this was still a huge statement of faith in the local lads and trust in the judgement of Salisu Yusuf, Oliseh's assistant who is responsible for scouting the domestic league.

Simon becoming vital

Until recently, any mention of a Moses in the Super Eagles would immediately evoke images of Chelsea's Victor -- currently on loan at West Ham.

That is rapidly changing. With the England-based forward out to injury, Moses Simon has taken the spot out on the left wing and is rapidly becoming the new darling of Super Eagles fans. Three goals in five games have seen to that. He scored in a friendly against Niger, did the same against Cameroon, then curled in a gorgeous free kick to soothe fraying nerves on Tuesday against Swaziland.

More than that, before he came off injured he ran the Swazi full-backs ragged over two legs and with better supply, could even have done more damage. It is hard to see Victor Moses dislodging him on this form.

Oliseh shows some guts

Oliseh is quickly and consistently showing that "untouchable" is a non-existent word in his coaching dictionary. Not only did he shake up his starting XI by leaving heavyweights like Mikel, Martins, Oboabona, Echiejile and even young starlet Kelechi Iheanacho out of the team, he had no worries starting domestic players.

And when it came to using substitutes, he continued to look the way of the domestic players, throwing on Ezekiel Bassey for the injured Simon.

It takes guts to have four domestic league players on the field ahead of more established foreign-based players, especially in a decisive World Cup qualifier. Oliseh had no hesitation, and they did not let him down. Onobi was a composed shield in front of defence; nothing got past Akas on the left flank; with Oboroakpo, the defence was so steady that Ambrose could afford to lope up the other end and help himself to a goal.

Tempo issues continue

In the end, the result is what mattered, and 2-0 is what was needed. But for large swathes of the game, things looked neither easy nor straightforward as Swaziland camped deep in their own half; the Super Eagles struggled to get behind them, passing was sometimes ragged and ideas lacking in the final third.

Swaziland could have even nicked a goal from a set piece when a free kick found two players looking at an empty net. A better striker would have made it count.

What the Super Eagles need as a matter of urgency is increased tempo and better technique. Slow build up allows deep-lying opposition to organise themselves and get into position and, without a genuine creative or special player, breaking down teams such as this comes down to being able to convert set pieces.

The much-maligned Ambrose still delivering

There's a lot said about Efe Ambrose. Most things are hardly complimentary, but the Celtic defender takes it all in his stride.

Phlegmatic almost to a fault, he is hardly ever flustered. Previously deployed as a right-back, he lost his place with the emergence of Leon Balogun and was left out of Oliseh's early selections.

But with Kenneth Omeruo withdrawing from last month's Belgium friendlies with injury, Ambrose was a late call up, and steadied the ship in that win over Cameroon.

In Swaziland, his timely interventions were critical in covering up errors and he capped it with a goal on Tuesday. It will be more difficult than ever to keep him out of the team now.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/football-nigeria/206/post/2716356/nigeria-victorious-thanks-to-gutsy-sunday-oliseh-decisions[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by enomakos(m): 2:55pm On Nov 18, 2015
justiz5:

We shall qualify. I so much expect the team to gel well as the games and qualifiers go tougher.
i hear you bro
but not for me

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by mikron(m): 3:24pm On Nov 18, 2015
justiz5:

Because Onobi is better than him
that's not true, b4 now did u know who onobi was? All I know is that he plays for one of d npfl clubs here in d country, I don't know him that well, he played well but better than mikel, that's a big no

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by john280: 4:01pm On Nov 18, 2015
Secret of betting is here now,lets make it big once more call me 07069477446 if any one is interested

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 5:12pm On Nov 18, 2015
BascoVanVeli:
Isaac Success. The answer.
To what
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 5:17pm On Nov 18, 2015
adeyemi2015:

Hopefully!
Seriously we need the Guy in the Team more than Mikel! Onazi was able to marshal the midfield confidential and superbly because he had a good backup in the Lad!
Who knows if Onobi's emergence will spur Mikel to find his confidence and form that saw him contribute a lot to our 2013 AFCON success

Onobi! Onobi!! Onobi!!!

How many times did I call you?

Make you no fall my hand oooooooo
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 5:20pm On Nov 18, 2015
enomakos:
i hear you bro
but not for me

I will quote or remind you when we qualify in style. Someone said yesterday that Oliseh was confused with his lineup. But theSwazis' Coach praised Coach Oliseh for the same lineup after the match
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 6:04pm On Nov 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Simon sure of more improvement[/size]

KAA Gent and Nigeria winger Moses Simon is over the moon with excitement after helping Nigeria qualify for the final round of qualifiers for the Fifa 2018 World Cup to be hosted by Russia.
The Super Eagles defeated Swaziland 2-0 in Port-Harcourt on Tuesday with goals from Simon and Efe Ambrose as Nigeria edged through 2-0 on aggregate after a goalless draw in the first leg in Lobamba.

Incidentally, both players scored for Nigeria in the 3-0 demolition of Cameroun in last month’s friendly in Belgium and they repeated same feat against the Sihlangu with Simon catching the eye with a virtuoso performance at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium.

“It was a very hard game but I’m happy we have qualified for the final round of the qualifier, the hard work starts right now,”Simon told supersport.com

“The Swazi side were really stubborn and disciplined. It was difficult for us to get past their defence especially in the first half.

“It was always going to be a difficult game but we were patient the goals will come and it did come eventually. The coach told us not to panic and follow his instructions which we did and I’m happy we won.

“I give God the glory for the goal but must importantly that we have qualified. I thank Nigerians for their support,”the 20 year old added.

Simon also spoke his free-kick goal which put Nigeria ahead in the game in the 51st minute before Efe Ambrose connected home Sylvester Igbonu’s set piece three minutes before time to set Nigeria on her way.

The former AS Trecin star said he has been practising on various parts of his game and is happy his set pieces are yielding fruits.

“I have been practising set-pieces and I’m happy I was able to pull it off and score the goal. You have to be versatile as a player and I’m a big fan of Cristiano Ronaldo as I always try to learn from him,”Simon explained to supersport.com

“I hit the post with a free-kick in the first leg in Swaziland but I’m glad I hit the target at home. It’s been God’s grace all the way.

“This is not even the time to talk about that goal. It is time to celebrate that Nigeria has qualified, that is the most important thing. We will continue to do our best and by God’s grace we shall succeed.

“I want to thank Port-Harcourt fans for coming out to support the team. I and the other players appreciate them,”he said.

http://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/151118/Simon_sure_of_more_improvement[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:29pm On Nov 18, 2015
*Modified*
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by enomakos(m): 6:34pm On Nov 18, 2015
justiz5:

I will quote or remind you when we qualify in style. Someone said yesterday that Oliseh was confused with his lineup. But theSwazis' Coach praised Coach Oliseh for the same lineup after the match
ok bro i waiting
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by enomakos(m): 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2015
justiz5:

To what
he means the answer to our goalscoring problem
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:42pm On Nov 18, 2015
Moses Simon Daddy Ajala..............*smiles*

One name among several other Nigerian Super young soccer talents who I strongly believe will go on and make his marks in world football.

He's a future hall of famer in Nigerian and African football provided he keeps his focus and dedication soaring above normal levels. I also see quite a number of others from Nigeria like Success, Iheanacho, Yahaya, The Nwakali brothers, Ndidi, among a couple of others in this light too.

Was tagged "Nigeria's young C.Ronaldo" before he left Nigerian shores from the Golden boot soccer academy to Europe (firstly to Ajax before he landed at AS Trencin and now at KAA Gent) and he hasn't disappointed that "tag" and has been living up to bright expectations. I love his level-headedness and focus. He hasn't allowed "the ronaldo tag" get to his head (and hopefully it NEVER will). *smiles*

Keep it up Simon, you still got a whole world to conquer out there. Keep working hard and keep soaring.

The sky is only a "springboard" point. *smiles*

joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Simon sure of more improvement[/size]

KAA Gent and Nigeria winger Moses Simon is over the moon with excitement after helping Nigeria qualify for the final round of qualifiers for the Fifa 2018 World Cup to be hosted by Russia.
The Super Eagles defeated Swaziland 2-0 in Port-Harcourt on Tuesday with goals from Simon and Efe Ambrose as Nigeria edged through 2-0 on aggregate after a goalless draw in the first leg in Lobamba.

Incidentally, both players scored for Nigeria in the 3-0 demolition of Cameroun in last month’s friendly in Belgium and they repeated same feat against the Sihlangu with Simon catching the eye with a virtuoso performance at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium.

“It was a very hard game but I’m happy we have qualified for the final round of the qualifier, the hard work starts right now,”Simon told supersport.com

“The Swazi side were really stubborn and disciplined. It was difficult for us to get past their defence especially in the first half.

“It was always going to be a difficult game but we were patient the goals will come and it did come eventually. The coach told us not to panic and follow his instructions which we did and I’m happy we won.

“I give God the glory for the goal but must importantly that we have qualified. I thank Nigerians for their support,”the 20 year old added.

Simon also spoke his free-kick goal which put Nigeria ahead in the game in the 51st minute before Efe Ambrose connected home Sylvester Igbonu’s set piece three minutes before time to set Nigeria on her way.

The former AS Trecin star said he has been practising on various parts of his game and is happy his set pieces are yielding fruits.

“I have been practising set-pieces and I’m happy I was able to pull it off and score the goal. You have to be versatile as a player and I’m a big fan of Cristiano Ronaldo as I always try to learn from him,”Simon explained to supersport.com

“I hit the post with a free-kick in the first leg in Swaziland but I’m glad I hit the target at home. It’s been God’s grace all the way.

“This is not even the time to talk about that goal. It is time to celebrate that Nigeria has qualified, that is the most important thing. We will continue to do our best and by God’s grace we shall succeed.

“I want to thank Port-Harcourt fans for coming out to support the team. I and the other players appreciate them,”he said.

http://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/151118/Simon_sure_of_more_improvement[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:08pm On Nov 18, 2015
justiz5:

To what

People forget that before the u-17 wc Success was our brightest prospect, I just wonder why he hasn't been given a chance. He plays in one of the best leagues in the world and he is a regular starter, he also promises goals, Isaac would not have missed any of those chances yesterday. So to me he is the answer to our offensive problems.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:38pm On Nov 18, 2015
mikron:
i would want to see rabiu ibrahim play the attacking midfield role more often, he should be given more playing time by oliseh

He doesn't impress me at all.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:15pm On Nov 18, 2015
justiz5:

Who knows if Onobi's emergence will spur Mikel to find his confidence and form that saw him contribute a lot to our 2013 AFCON success

Onobi! Onobi!! Onobi!!!

How many times did I call you?

Make you no fall my hand oooooooo

How can Onobi spur Mikel's Confidence. Mikel has been the best player of the Super Eagles from the time of Coach Keshi till Coach Oliseh.

If Coach Oliseh feels it is time to drop his best player good for him but he should not invite Mikel to sit on the bench. Chelsea is having a disastrous season and I am sure that Mourinho would prefer Mikel in camp to weigh his options.

Coach Oliseh should make his mind up because I doubt the most senior player of the team is ready to sit on the bench for a player he is clearly better than. If Mikel is surplus to Coach Oliseh, The Coach should cut him off and let Mikel concentrate on his club career.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:06pm On Nov 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Ghana 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Nigeria
World Cup qualifiers: Nigeria may draw Ghana, Cameroon
[/size]

Eagles skipper Ahmed Musa and Efe Ambrose celebrate Nigeria's qualification

Five-time World Cup finalists Nigeria could well draw arch-rivals Ghana and Cameroon in the group phase of the qualifying tournament for the 2018 World Cup should the FIFA rankings be mainly used to seed teams.

No date has been fixed yet for the draw for this final round of the World Cup qualifiers, which will be played on league basis, but speculations are rife that it could be before the end of the year.

Currently, Nigeria are 59th ranked team in the world and on this count, they will fall in pot 3 of seeds along with Egypt (57), Mali (63), Uganda (68) and Zambia (71).

Pot 1 will have the continent’s top teams Cote d’Ivoire (22), Algeria (26), Ghana (30), Cape Verde (32) and Senegal (39).

Pot 2 will be made up of Tunisia (41), Cameroon (51), Congo Brazzaville (52), Guinea (53) and DR Congo (55).

The last pot of 20 qualifiers could then be Gabon (73), South Africa (75), Morocco (79), Burkina Faso (93) and Libya (113).

A team from each pot will be picked out to form a qualifying group of four teams with the overall winners advancing to the World Cup in Russia.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/586144/World-Cup-qualifiers-Nigeria-may-draw-Ghana-Cameroon
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:08pm On Nov 18, 2015
You're spot on here Sir. Isaac Success deserves his chance NOW!!!

Or is Oliseh not building for the future again?

Success is another young super talent that can bring something unique to the Super Eagles attack in addition to what Ighalo offers. We have the "quality" players.

A Moses-Success-Musa(because he's captain) combo with an Iheanacho behind these will add another dimension to our attacking game.

Ighalo and Martins shouldn't be our only centre forward options in this 4-3-3 formation.

Other fringe options exist such as Ideye (not that lethal) and Ujah (well, he's ok. Doing good in the bundesliga). Though Success should be considered ahead of them both.

Well, let's see how it goes. The future is indeed bright for us because the talents for the future are here as others (even other positions) from the UAE 2013/Ayc 2015/NZ 2015 class will still emerge.

The 2015 class and subsequent classes are for a little later in the future.

*smiles*

BascoVanVeli:

People forget that before the u-17 wc Success was our brightest prospect, I just wonder why he hasn't been given a chance. He plays in one of the best leagues in the world and he is a regular starter, he also promises goals, Isaac would not have missed any of those chances yesterday. So to me he is the answer to our offensive problems.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.