Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,112 members, 7,828,968 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (249465 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:12pm On Nov 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Nigeria
Eagles grumble bonus not in cash
[/size]

Eagles defender Shehu Abdullahi

Reports suggest Super Eagles were unhappy they were not paid their win bonus in cash after the World Cup qualifier against Swaziland as is the practice following a new arrangement of electronic transfer of these bonuses.

“The players were unhappy that they did not receive cash for their bonuses. The NFF have already directed the players to open foreign accounts at a particular bank so this did not come to them as a surprise,” said one account of the story.

Officials and the players held a meeting after the match in Port Harcourt with one of the talking points being the new form of payment for them.

The Eagles will be paid $5,000-a-man for the 2-0 win over Swaziland in Port Harcourt. They received half that sum for the draw in Lobambo on Friday.

They also received $40,000 from the Rivers State Government, who promised them $20,000-a-goal for the match against Swaziland.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/586126/Eagles-grumble-bonus-not-in-cash
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Cote d'Ivoire 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa
Africa’s 20 World Cup hopefuls finalised
[/size]

Thulani Hlatshwayo of South Africa (c) celebrates his goal with teammates during the 2018 Russia World Cup Qualifier match between South Africa and Angola at Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban on the 17 November 2015 ©Muzi Ntombela/BackpagePix

The second round of African qualifying for the 2018 World Cup was wrapped up on Tuesday with 14 matches across the continent.

Six teams had already booked their places in the next round – Guinea, DR Congo, Zambia, Morocco, Gabon and Uganda – leaving 28 teams to battle over the remaining places in the third and final round.

The first match of the day saw Libya confirm their progression with a 3-1 win over Rwanda – the only away win of the day – while Cameroon were held 0-0 by Niger at home, but still advanced on the strength of a 3-0 win in the first leg.

Heavyweights Ghana, Egypt and Nigeria claimed comfortable home wins against Comoros (2-0), Chad (4-0) and Swaziland (2-0) respectively to ensure they didn’t suffer surprise exits after disappointing first leg results.

Ivory Coast, Congo and Tunisia claimed home wins to confirm their progression, as did South Africa, who needed an own goal to overcome Angola 1-0, having done all the hard work in the tie in the 3-1 win in Benguela last week.

Burkina Faso turned around their tie against Benin, winning 2-0 in Ouagadougou, while Algeria claimed the night’s headline result by thrashing 10-man Tanzania 7-0 in Blida, emphatically erasing any doubts over their progression after an underwhelming showing in the first leg.

The late games saw Senegal crush Madagascar 3-0 in Dakar to advance 5-2 on aggregate, Mali turned around their tie with Botswana, winning 2-0 in Bamako to progress 3-2 on aggregate, while Cape Verde achieved the same feat against Kenya, with a 2-0 win in Praia seeing them take the tie 2-1 on aggregate.

Africa’s Round Two 2018 World Cup qualifier results

13 November 2015 – Niger 0-3 Cameroon

17 November 2015 – Cameroon 0-0 Niger
Cameroon won 3-0 on aggregate

13 November 2015 – Mauritania 1-2 Tunisia

17 November 2015 – Tunisia 2-1 Mauritania
Tunisia won 4-2 on aggregate

12 November 2015 – Namibia 0-1 Guinea

15 November 2015 – Guinea 2-0 Namibia
Guinea won 3-0 on aggregate

14 November 2015 – Ethiopia 3-4 Congo

17 November 2015 – Congo 2-1 Ethiopia
Congo won 6-4 on aggregate

14 November 2015 – Chad 1-0 Egypt

17 November 2015 – Egypt 4-0 Chad
Egypt won 4-1 on aggregate

13 November 2015 – Comoros 0-0 Ghana

17 November 2015 – Ghana 2-0 Comoros
Ghana won 2-0 on aggregate

13 November 2015 – Swaziland 0-0 Nigeria

17 November 2015 – Nigeria 2-0 Swaziland
Nigeria won 2-0 on aggregate

14 November 2015 – Botswana 2-1 Mali

17 November 2015 – Mali 2-0 Botswana
Mali won 3-2 on aggregate

12 November 2015 – Burundi 2-3 DR Congo

15 November 2015 – DR Congo 2-2 Burundi
DR Congo won 5-4 on aggregate

13 November 2015 – Liberia 0-1 Ivory Coast

17 November 2015 – Ivory Coast 3-0 Liberia
Ivory Coast won 4-0 on aggregate

13 November 2015 – Madagascar 2-2 Senegal

17 November 2015 – Senegal 3-0 Madagascar
Senegal won 5-2 on aggregate

13 November 2015 – Kenya 1-0 Cape Verde

17 November 2015 – Cape Verde v 2-0 Kenya
Cape Verde won 2-1 on aggregate

14 November 2015 – Tanzania 2-2 Algeria

17 November 2015 – Algeria 7-0 Tanzania
Algeria won 9-2 on aggregate

11 November 2015 – Sudan 0-1 Zambia

15 November 2015 – Zambia 2-0 Sudan
Zambia won 3-0 on aggregate

13 November 2015 – Libya 1-0 Rwanda

17 November 2015 – Rwanda 1-3 Libya
Libya won 4-1 on aggregate

12 November 2015 – Morocco 2-0 Equatorial Guinea

15 November 2015 – Equatorial Guinea 1-0 Morocco
Morocco won 2-1 on aggregate

11 November 2015 – Mozambique 1-0 Gabon

14 November 2105 – Gabon 1-0 Mozambique
1-1 on aggregate; Gabon won 4-3 on penalties

12 November 2015 – Benin 2-1 Burkina Faso

17 November 2015 – Burkina Faso 2-0 Benin
Burkina Faso won 3-2 on aggregate

12 November 2015 – Togo 0-1 Uganda

15 November 2015 – Uganda 3-0 Togo
Uganda won 4-0 on aggregate

13 November 2015 – Angola 1-3 South Africa

17 November 2015 – South Africa 1-0 Angola
South Africa won 4-1 on aggregate

The 20 winners progress into Round Three, where they will be divided up into five groups of four teams each. The group stage will consist of home and away matches on a round-robin basis, and the five group winners will qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/586012/Africas-20-World-Cup-hopefuls-finalised
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:30pm On Nov 18, 2015
[size=14pt]
Oliseh proud of Eagles
[/size]

Oliseh
Head coach of the Nigeria national team, Sunday Oliseh had words of praise for his players after Tuesday’s 2-0 win over Swaziland in 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifying.

Goals from Moses Simon and Efe Ambrose at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium guaranteed the win and Oliseh was indebted to his charges afterwards.

“All what we spoke about, they put it into practice.
“Even in the second half, when we changed the tactics, it took just two minutes to say it on the blackboard and they (translated)it on the pitch.

www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/151118/Oliseh_proud_of_Eagles
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 18, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

How can Onobi spur Mikel's Confidence. Mikel has been the best player of the Super Eagles from the time of Coach Keshi till Coach Oliseh.

If Coach Oliseh feels it is time to drop his best player good for him but he should not invite Mikel to sit on the bench. Chelsea is having a disastrous season and I am sure that Mourinho would prefer Mikel in camp to weigh his options.

Coach Oliseh should make his mind up because I doubt the most senior player of the team is ready to sit on the bench for a player he is clearly better than. If Mikel is surplus to Coach Oliseh, The Coach should cut him off and let Mikel concentrate on his club career.
am dumbfounded on how people will be comparing onobi of yesterday with an established player like Mikel.

one thing with Nigerian is that they get carried away by little things. Mikel is one of the most successful African footballer of all time. now u wanna compare him with onobi cos he shone the other day..

have u seen what overhypness has caused iheanacho?

at a time some faceless Nairalanders were comparing him with bony and navas Dem

I REST MY CASE.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:42pm On Nov 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Simon sure of more improvement
byAndrew Randa
[/size]
KAA Gent and Nigeria winger Moses Simon is over the moon with excitement after helping Nigeria qualify for the final round of qualifiers for the Fifa 2018 World Cup to be hosted by Russia.

The Super Eagles defeated Swaziland 2-0 in Port-Harcourt on Tuesday with goals from Simon and Efe Ambrose as Nigeria edged through 2-0 on aggregate after a goalless draw in the first leg in Lobamba.

Incidentally, both players scored for Nigeria in the 3-0 demolition of Cameroun in last month’s friendly in Belgium and they repeated same feat against the Sihlangu with Simon catching the eye with a virtuoso performance at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium.

“It was a very hard game but I’m happy we have qualified for the final round of the qualifier, the hard work starts right now,”Simon told supersport.com

“The Swazi side were really stubborn and disciplined. It was difficult for us to get past their defence especially in the first half.

“It was always going to be a difficult game but we were patient the goals will come and it did come eventually. The coach told us not to panic and follow his instructions which we did and I’m happy we won.

“I give God the glory for the goal but must importantly that we have qualified. I thank Nigerians for their support,”the 20 year old added.

Simon also spoke his free-kick goal which put Nigeria ahead in the game in the 51st minute before Efe Ambrose connected home Sylvester Igbonu’s set piece three minutes before time to set Nigeria on her way.

The former AS Trecin star said he has been practising on various parts of his game and is happy his set pieces are yielding fruits.

“I have been practising set-pieces and I’m happy I was able to pull it off and score the goal. You have to be versatile as a player and I’m a big fan of Cristiano Ronaldo as I always try to learn from him,” Simon explained to supersport.com

“I hit the post with a free-kick in the first leg in Swaziland but I’m glad I hit the target at home. It’s been God’s grace all the way.

“This is not even the time to talk about that goal. It is time to celebrate that Nigeria has qualified, that is the most important thing. We will continue to do our best and by God’s grace we shall succeed.

“I want to thank Port-Harcourt fans for coming out to support the team. I and the other players appreciate them,”he said.
[/b]

www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/151118/Simon_sure_of_more_improvement
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:44pm On Nov 18, 2015
Thank you Sir Goodjoe. Well said.

So suddenly Onobi is a "threat" to Mikel. **smh**

I wonder why Nigerians have short memory. They just hate Mikel.

Truth be told ok, Onobi is a decent talent. Had a fairly good game (only stepped up in the second half but was in "total" ghostmode in the first half) in my own books but please, let no one tell me he can boss a game like Mikel when we face "quality opposition".

For crying out loud who's Swaziland?? Who's even Djibouti that the Swazis beat?? Let's stop overblowing this victory and focus on pressing matters ahead.

**see how Fans swarmed the PH pitch as if we just won a world cup** No disrespect to Swaziland but I was sure of victory. It was the Manner of victory that concerned me. How can I have sleepless nights because of Swaziland? Haba!!!!

I wonder why people make it look like we had a chance of losing to the Swazis. Like seriously??

Oliseh has a fine pool of players to choose from and with his tactical intelligence and soccer philosophy we can keep getting better and better.

But he should not kid himself thinking it's a midfield three of Onazi-Onobi-Igboun that will overcome the slippery Egyptians or see us through the Final round of the 2018 Fifa Worl
d cup qualifying series.

Oliseh should please be wise and careful. I don't wanna miss Afcon 2017 and Russia 2018. Abeg. Biko.

If you don't want Mikel, fine!!!! Drop him!!! But make sure his replacement comes good.

As for me, I know Mikel is the best we got for now.

The quality replacements for Mikel aren't matured yet. Yeah, they're here but are still young and need more exposure. Top talents like Usman Mohammed of Nigeria's U-23s and Chile 2015 Golden ball winner, Kelechi Nwakali come to mind as Talents for the future in the No.10 and central midfield roles (and even defensive if needed). Even Musa Yahaya in the no.10 role is still young.

Even a Kingsley Sokari can be considered as with a few others.

But for now...... Kai kai kai....... Na Mikel o.. Truth be told. Let wisdom rule here o and not overzealous thinking.

I rest my case.

**smiles**

TheGoodJoe:

How can Onobi spur Mikel's Confidence. Mikel has been the best player of the Super Eagles from the time of Coach Keshi till Coach Oliseh.

If Coach Oliseh feels it is time to drop his best player good for him but he should not invite Mikel to sit on the bench. Chelsea is having a disastrous season and I am sure that Mourinho would prefer Mikel in camp to weigh his options.

Coach Oliseh should make his mind up because I doubt the most senior player of the team is ready to sit on the bench for a player he is clearly better than. If Mikel is surplus to Coach Oliseh, The Coach should cut him off and let Mikel concentrate on his club career.

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:51pm On Nov 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Swaziland made Eagles sweat for victory – Oliseh
By Taiwo Adelu
[/size]

Sunday Oliseh, Super Eagles coach

Chief Coach of Nigeria’s Super Eagles, Sunday Oliseh, has confessed that lowly rated Swaziland made his star studded team worked very hard to get the qualification slot for the third and final round of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying series.

Goals by Moses Simon and Efe Ambrose in the second half sent the Eagles through, but the much higher -ranked Nigerians were the first to admit that the Sihlangu made them work for the aggregate win at the Adokiye Amiesiamaka Stadium in Port Harcourt, Rivers State Tuesday evening.

“For a fact, Swaziland’s FIFA ranking is unfair to them. They played with their hearts over the two legs and made things pretty difficult for us,” said Oliseh said after the match.

Meanwhile, former Nigerian captain, Kanu Nwankwo, has congratulated Coach Oliseh and the Eagles for getting past the Swazi to the next round of the World Cup qualifiers.

Kanu said on his Twitter handle after the encounter that “Congratulations Oliseh and your coaching crew. Congrats to the boys, we are happy with you all, keep it up and keep winning, that’s wat we want.”

With this victory, the Super Eagles will be one of the 20 teams who have qualified for the group stage of the qualifying series.

Others are Gabon, Uganda, Morocco, Libya, Zambia, DR Congo, Guinea Cameroon, Congo, Ghana, Tunisia, South Africa, Egypt and Cote d’Ivoire
[/b]

www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/11/18/swaziland-made-eagles-sweat-for-victory-oliseh/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:11pm On Nov 18, 2015
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria
Omagbemi fires hat-trick in India Super League
[/size]
Omagbemi scoring in the India Super League

Former Nigeria U23 star Dudu Omagbemi scored thrice to help FC Goa thrashed Mumbai City FC 7-0 in an India Super League game on Tuesday.

The 30-year-old doubled FC Goa's lead in the 42nd minute to give them a 2-0 lead.
He completed a double in the 64th minute when his side led 4-0.
Three minutes later he made it 5-0 to complete a treble.

He played for Nigeria U23 national team at Malaysia invitational tournament in 2008 when Nigeria were preparing for the 2008 Olympics.
He has played in Poland, Hungary and Finland.

africanfootball.com//news/586118/Omagbemi-fires-hat-trick-in-India-Super-League

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:50pm On Nov 18, 2015
krattoss:
am dumbfounded on how people will be comparing onobi of yesterday with an established player like Mikel.

one thing with Nigerian is that they get carried away by little things. Mikel is one of the most successful African footballer of all time. now u wanna compare him with onobi cos he shone the other day..

have u seen what overhypness has caused iheanacho?

at a time some faceless Nairalanders were comparing him with bony and navas Dem

I REST MY CASE.

[b]I want people to get one thing straight. First of all, Coach Oliseh is one of the few players who can hold his head up and say, I fought for Nigeria. I am a fan. I remember him at Lagos in 2000, (Nigeria-Ghana 2000 AFCON).

Coach Oliseh was sick in our game against Senegal and he came to the pitch with casual wears. We were down by one goal. Oliseh came into the pitch ten minutes, he gave three passes. Two resulted in goals from Aghahowa, One assisted by Emmanuel Amunike.

I respect him and I see him as a true leader of the Super Eagles. He was the true definition of the Captain without the band.

I do not like something about him. He aligns too much on the Mourinho philosophy. He tries to belittle good players to make himself look good.

Just like Mourinho tried to make Oscar look a better player than Mata or Matic a better player than Mikel.

Few titles and winning games did not make Mourinho right. His bad results have made people review his decisions and they see he was wrong.

Iheanacho is a talented player with massive potential. Coach Oliseh benching him proves nothing. The coach did not know Nacho was ready for the Super Eagles until Iheanacho won the man of the match against Crystal Palace. As Solace Chukwu of Goal put it. Something we all know.

We have numerous talents all over Nigeria. Coach Oliseh can prove he is a good coach without messing up with our special players. That is why The Cityzens did not want to release Nacho to Nigeria. We do not understand what we have in our hands.

Most people criticising Iheanacho now are the same people that called Neymar overrated. It is the thing, many miss the factors of great players and judge from coaches decisions.

It is better Nacho trained with Pellegrini this international break than travel for these games of Coach Oliseh.

Please, I hope Oliseh leaves out these players who are playing at the biggest clubs among Nigerian players. They are fighting everyday to get picked by their team managers.

What will Mourinho say about Mikel? If he can not play for Nigeria, how can he play for Chelsea.

Coach Oliseh, please drop them, just as you dropped Victor Moses. You have found their replacements. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:43pm On Nov 18, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

[b]I want people to get one thing straight. First of all, Coach Oliseh is one of the few players who can hold his head up and say, I fought for Nigeria. I am a fan. I remember him at Lagos in 2000, (Nigeria-Ghana 2000 AFCON).

Coach Oliseh was sick in our game against Senegal and he came to the pitch with casual wears. We were down by one goal. Oliseh came into the pitch ten minutes, he gave three passes. Two resulted in goals from Aghahowa, One assisted by Emmanuel Amunike.

I respect him and I see him as a true leader of the Super Eagles. He was the true definition of the Captain without the band.

I do not like something about him. He aligns too much on the Mourinho philosophy. He tries to belittle good players to make himself look good.

Just like Mourinho tried to make Oscar look a better player than Mata or Matic a better player than Mikel.

Few titles and winning games did not make Mourinho right. His bad results have made people review his decisions and they see he was wrong.

Iheanacho is a talented player with massive potential. Coach Oliseh benching him proves nothing. The coach did not know Nacho was ready for the Super Eagles until Iheanacho won the man of the match against Crystal Palace. As Solace Chukwu of Goal put it. Something we all know.

We have numerous talents all over Nigeria. Coach Oliseh can prove he is a good coach without messing up with our special players. That is why The Cityzens did not want to release Nacho to Nigeria. We do not understand what we have in our hands.

Most people criticising Iheanacho now are the same people that called Neymar overrated. It is the thing, many miss the factors of great players and judge from coaches decisions.

It is better Nacho trained with Pellegrini this international break than travel for these games of Coach Oliseh.

Please, I hope Oliseh leaves out these players who are playing at the biggest clubs among Nigerian players. They are fighting everyday to get picked by their team managers.

What will Mourinho say about Mikel. If he can not play for Nigeria, how can he play for Chelsea.

Coach Oliseh, please drop them, just as you dropped Victor Moses. You have found their replacements. [/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:26am On Nov 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Michael Babatunde Targets Eagles Return, Hails Oliseh
[/size]

By Bamidele Boluwaji:
Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk of Ukraine winger Babatunde Michael has told Comple tesportsnigeria.com that he is still very relevant to the Super Eagles despite his inability to make coach Sunday Oliseh’s squad since he came on board after Stephen Keshi was relieved of the senior national team job.

Babatunde who was part of the Super Eagles squad to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil says he always feels fulfilled playing for Nigeria.

Speaking to Comple tesportsnigeria.com, the former FC Volyn Lutsk player said he was impressed with the Super Eagles’ 2-0 win over Swaziland in the second round return leg match of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier decided in Port Harcourt on Tuesday.

“It was a good result and I must commend both the players and the coaches for a good job. Every match is a learning process for players and coaches and I am sure that the team will keep getting better after the Swaziland game,” Babatunde said.

“I have been monitoring the team since coach Sunday Oliseh came on board and I can say that the team has not done badly, there are many young players in the team that will be great soon, so we should all support him to make sure he excels.

“As a Nigerian, I still see myself as a member of the team and I will be readily available to help my country anytime I am called upon.

Nigeria is a nation well blessed with abundant talents and I see myself as a lucky footballer to have been a Nigerian. I will honestly tell you that I have missed my national team mates.”

He tipped Nigeria to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
“It could be tough but Nigeria will definitely be there, we have the talent and records are in favour of the Super Eagles, so I am sure that we will be there,” Babatunde added.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/michael-babatunde-targets-eagles-return-hails-oliseh/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:30am On Nov 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh: Eagles Are Improving, My Strikers Will Soon Start Scoring
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh insists that his team is gradually improving and backs his struggling strikers to deliver despite their recent struggles against Swaziland.

Oliseh’s side have scored nine goals in his first eight games in charge but they have been defensively solid. .

“We’ve kept seven clean sheets and gradually the team is showing more aggression and creating more chances to score but we must be patient with our forwards, their goals will come,” Oliseh told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

Second half goals from Moses Simon and Efe Ambrose in sent the Eagles through to the final stages ofthe 2018 World Cup qualifiers with a 2-0 aggregate win at the expense of the Swaziland.

Comple tesportsnigeria.com can also report exclusively that the injury to Super Eagles defender Chima Akas sustained is not serious according to Oliseh.

Oliseh who guided his side to their fourth win in eight games disclosed that the defender will be back on his feet in the coming days.

“I spoke with the doctors of the team and they told me it was nothing serious. We expect him back on his feet pretty soon,” he told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

Akas who was preferred to Elderson Echiejile in the second leg clash played in Port Harcourt landed awkwardly and had to be replaced for the AS Monaco star.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/oliseh-eagles-improving-strikers-start-scoring/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:51am On Nov 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Van Gaal Names Finidi George in his Ajax success story
[/size]
Years after Nigerian international Finidi George quit active football, his former manager and current Manchester United sweat merchant has recalled with nostalgia how he personally paid the transfer fee to get Finidi on board.

The Dutchman who won three Eredivisie titles and the Champions League during his six years as Ajax manager in what could pass for stock taking expressed delight that the players he had then rose to the occasion and produced impressive results even as he revealed financial constraints that forced him to rely on the club’s academy.

Van Gaal who took over Man United last year following the sacking of David Moyes revealed that he paid Finidi George’s transfer fee of £3,000, adding however that the former Eagles winger was not the only one he got on board as the likes of Edgar Davids, Patrick Kluivert, Clarence Seedorf and Edwin van der Sar all joined him to make the team tick.

Speaking at the at the LMA annual conference, Van Gaal reflected on his time at Ajax and how he was forced to rely on the club’s academy for success.

“We didn’t have any money and we were bankrupt, so I had to look to youth,” the Manchester United boss told The Daily Telegraph.

“We scouted [Jari] Litmanen, a Finnish player, who we bought for £10,000. We also bought Finidi George. He was a Nigerian international. He was £3,000. I paid it by myself! And then, we bought Marc Overmars.

“But the names that you do remember are Seedorf, Kluivert, [Michael] Reiziger. We won everything with very attacking football. I don’t say it too much because otherwise Mr Scholes will be very angry,” he enthused Wednesday
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/van-gaal-names-finidi-george-in-his-ajax-success-story/

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:55am On Nov 19, 2015
[size=14pt]
2016 CHAN campaign: Niger meets Eagles Jan. 18
[/size]
Nigeria’s Home Eagles will kick off their campaign at the 2016 African Nations Championship on January 18 against the Menas of Niger at the Stade Régional Nyamirambo, Kigali.

CAF conducted the draws for the fourth edition of the competition last weekend in Kigali; pitching the Eagles against Tunisia’s Les Aigles de Carthage as well as Niger and the Syli nationale.

The next set of games for Sunday Oliseh’s men comes up on January 22 and 26 against Tunisia and Guinea.

The last game will be at a different venue; Umuganda Stadium, from the first and second.

thenationonlineng.net/2016-chan-campaign-niger-meets-eagles-jan-18/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:59am On Nov 19, 2015
[size=14pt]
Thieves return Ogude’s passport
[/size]
The stolen purse of Fegor Ogude, which contained his Nigerian passport and driving licence has been returned to him after it was snatched by an unidentified woman in Russia last week.

According to the official social media account of Amkar Perm, surveillance cameras captured the culprit but the missing documents are now in the possession of the Super Eagles midfielder five days after the theft was made public by the Russian and Nigerian media.

Amkar Perm thanked everyone that took part in the search for the missing documents, which got lost at a shopping mall.

Fegor Ogude has 11 starts under his name in the Russian Premier League this term and has been yellow – carded five times, while he was sent off against Rostov in August.

The ex-Warri Wolves skipper has not been called up to the national team for more than two years.

thenationonlineng.net/thieves-return-ogudes-passport/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:02am On Nov 19, 2015
[size=14pt]
Eagles snub a blessing in disguise – Salami
[/size]
Warri Wolves striker Gbolahan Salami has said missing out on a place in the Super Eagles World Cup squad against Swaziland was a blessing in disguise as he achieved a bigger individual honour with his club.

The bulky striker scored a brace against FC Taraba in a rescheduled league match on Monday to finish the 2015 season as the highest goal scorer.

Salami has seen fewer chances with the Super Eagles under the new coaches but the 24-year-old is not worried as he had time to improve his league form.

‘I am glad that d I was left out of the squad, because it enabled me help my club to win our last game of the season and get a brace to push me up the ladder as the top scorer in the league.

‘I know timing is divine and only God knows why it happened that way but I am happy it turned out well for the team and myself,’ Gbolahan told footballlive.ng.

thenationonlineng.net/eagles-snub-a-blessing-in-disguise-salami/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:09am On Nov 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oboroakpo praises Oliseh’s abilities
[/size]
Abia Warriors skipper Austin Oboroakpo was delighted with the 2 – 0 victory over Swaziland in a World Cup qualifier and has praised the coaching abilities of Super Eagles manager, Sunday Oliseh.

After a goalless first half, the Hussey College, Warri product has revealed that Oliseh’s pep talk during the intermission motivated the squad to finish off their opponents in the second half.

“We thank God that we were able to get the win at the end of the day, we were able to make the country proud and everyone is happy, ”said Oboroakpo to
allnigeriasoccer.com.

“During the interval, the coach told us to believe in ourselves, that we can defeat Swaziland with our effort and the advice paid off in the second half.”

Oboroakpo had kind words to say about the foreign – based professionals, stating that the Super Eagles stars from Europe encouraged the home – based players to settle into the team quickly.

“I want to say big kudos to the foreign – based players: Mikel, Onazi, Ambrose and others for their support.

“They made us feel at home, they cooperated with us . They deserve to be praised, they are champions and committed,” the central defender added.

Oboroakpo partnered Celtic’s Efe Ambrose in the heart of the Super Eagles defense and went the distance at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/oboroakpo-praises-olisehs-abilities/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:17am On Nov 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Onyekachi Okonkwo joins Mosta
[/size]

Onyekachi Okonkwo now in Malta

Former Nigeria international Onyekachi Okonkwo has joined the Maltese Premier League side Mosta FC.

AfricanFootball.com can exclusively reveal that the former Orlando Pirates of South Africa ace inked a five-month deal on Wednesday.

He is now the sixth Nigerian players in the team as he joined Fidelis Saviour, Yau Hasan, Bobby Abel, Abdulmalik Mohammed and Chukwudi Samuel.

Saviour told AfricanFootball.com that he is excited to have such a player as team mates as he will help the team and the players with his experience.

“‘Tico’ joined us on Wednesday formerly as he signed a contract with Mosta. It is a great previlege to have him as my teammate. I never thought this will happen as I do watch him on TV when he was with Enyimba and in South Africa.

“He is such a great midfielder we all here will learn from his experience. I am happy to have him around because he will surely add value to our team."

The 33-year-old Okonkwo has played for Enyimba (Nigeria), Orlando Pirates, Black Ace (South Africa), Al Kharitiyat (Qatar) and FC Zurich (Switzerland).

He has 20 international caps for Nigeria.
By Olusola Alao
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/584695/Onyekachi-Okonkwo-joins-Mosta

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:36am On Nov 19, 2015
A billion likes for this. Beautiful. Truthful. And Finely said.

Just my whole point exactly.

**smiles**

Oliseh I like and respect. But seriously, he should WATCH IT!!!!!!!

TheGoodJoe:

What will Mourinho say about Mikel? If he can not play for Nigeria, how can he play for Chelsea.

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 1:51pm On Nov 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Westerhof: Oliseh Can’t Take Eagles To 2018 World Cup[/size]

Former Super Eagles coach, Clemens Westerhof, has raised the alarm that Nigeria stand the risk of not qualifying for the 2018 World Cup to be staged in Russia with Sunday Oliseh in charge.

Westerhof, who guided the Super Eagles to Africa Cup of Nations triumph in Tunisia in 1994 as well as a second round appearance in the 1994 FIFA World Cup debut in the United States of America, said the Super Eagles' start to the qualifiers does not give confidence the team will win the race to Russia.

“Congratulations, you beat Swaziland 2-0 in the return leg match of the preliminary round of the qualifiers,” Westerhof told Complete Sports.

“But does that really call for celebration? Yes, there are no minnows in football but who are Swaziland to hold the Super Eagles to a goalless draw (in Swaziland)?

“The Super Eagles won 2-0 in (Port Harcourt) Nigeria but is it not a game the Super Eagles should be winning 6-0, 7-0 under normal circumstances?. What type of football do they play in Swaziland?”

Reminded that the Super Eagles are undergoing rebuilding following the arrival of a new manager, Sunday Oliseh, to take charge of technical affairs of the team, Westerhof said there’s no sign the team will get better.

“Swaziland is not the first match Super Eagles have played under Oliseh. There has not been any difference between their first game under him and the game with Swaziland.

“I’m sorry, with Oliseh, the Super Eagles may not go to the World Cup in Russia,” Westerhof declared.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/westerhof-oliseh-eagles-2018-world-cup/?[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 1:54pm On Nov 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Mikel still important to Eagles[/size]

Nigeria national team head coach, Sunday Oliseh has moved to quell speculations that Sunshine Stars star, Paul Onobi is heir apparent to Chelsea midfielder, John Mikel Obi.

Mikel was surprisingly dropped from the Nigeria siude that beat Swaziland 2-0 in a World Cup qualifier in Port Harcourt on Tuesday but Oliseh says Onobi did not take the place of the Chelsea superstar.

He added that “nobody has a fixed spot in this team” as he continues his rebuilding process with the three-time African champions.

“What I feel about Onobi is that he’s a home star.

“I said it from the onset that I don’t care of you play at home or abroad.

“If you are good enough and you can adapt to the tactics that we play, we will do it.

“I am glad that the whole world has witnessed a vindication of that policy that I will always adhere to.

“He’s solid. He’s strong on the man (tackle). He’s solid. He’s clairvoyant and one thing I like about him is that he’s very hungry.

“And that’s what we need now.

“However, I must use this medium to state that Onobi did not play at the expense of (Mikel).

“Nobody has a fixed spot in this team,” he said.

“Oliseh’s record as Nigeria coach in competitive matches is near perfect as he is yet to lose a single game since taking over from Stephen Keshi in July.

http://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/151119/Mikel_still_important_to_Eagles[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 1:56pm On Nov 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]I’ll Sweep Nigeria’s Sports Sector Clean Of Corruption – Dalong[/size]

The Minister of Sports and Youth Development, Solomon Dalong, has continued to read the riot to act to corrupt persons in the sporting world, as he has vowed to fight corruption in the sports sector, “with everything” he has.

The determined minister, who was speaking at a seminar organized by the FCT chapter of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) to mark the SWAN Week at the National Stadium, Abuja, yesterday, described corruption as a “great cancer crippling the growth of Nigeria in sports”.

Dalong, who promised to step on toes in the execution of his duties, warned sports administrators, writers, coaches and athletes alike to desist from their corrupt tendencies or face the law.

He expressed appreciation to the leadership of the FCT chapter of SWAN for championing and playing critical role in the development of sports in the country and challenged administrators to live up to their responsibilities, in order to help sports development in the country.

He said his administration is open to constructive criticism. “I operate from a rough environment but now that I am in a comfort zone, if there is no criticism I will be tempted to believe that something is wrong.

“I should be criticised; not because I am Solomon Dalong, but, because in my capacity as a decision-maker, I made decisions not in the best interest of Nigeria. The bad thing is where no decision is taken. However, if you see the need to publish, you must have my own side of the story. If you accuse me of anything, then you must have your facts straight. If you seek to be mischievous or blackmail me, we will call the law to help us sort it all out,” he advised the gathering of sports writers.

Dalong appealed to the sporting press to appreciate the present administration’s change ideology and seat up to their responsibility of holding leaders accountable.

“If the association does not seat up, then it can also be blamed for the problems in the sports sector.

“If you call yourself a whistle-blower, are you blowing the whistle in respect to the corruption in sports or because you are a beneficiary? Your searchlight should not be limited to the minister and administrators alone, but on some of you who have been bought by questionable interests.

“I want us to fight corruption in this industry, because the stories of corruption in sports, particularly football, are alarming and discouraging. For me, I’ll do my best to stem out corruption from sports. I have appealed to the NSCDG and other directors that nobody should come near my house with ‘pregnant’ envelopes, with the intention to bribe me. You cannot misappropriate funds meant for sports and disgrace this country at international competitions and you come in the night as minister to bribe me with the money or buy house for me to keep quiet. Sports is a unifying factor, which brings this nation together and it is the corruption of the administrators that have frustrated many young people into getting involved in other means of livelihood, because the sports which they love so much have been messed up by corrupt people.

“I’ll not receive bribes and questionable gifts, because I will invite the law to reconcile you and me on that type of visit or gift,” he warned.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 2:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
Who else noticed that we now score consistently from set pieces? 6 games, 4 goals from set pieces. If this does not impress you, it does me. I praise Oliseh for that.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:34pm On Nov 19, 2015
I hope Westerhof's words do not come true. He's a highly respected soccer analyst and coach. Nigeria's most successful coach ever and head Coach of the Golden Generation of The Eagles (alongside Bonfrere's 96 olympic Eagles).

When I asked who's Swaziland?? Some "very funny" individuals, on the "Nigeria 2-0 Swaziland" thread, answered this:
"Swaziland beat Djibouti 8-1!!!!! They're strong........".

I fired back: "who in the heavens is Djibouti??!!!!!!"

So beating Swaziland is now news?? Chai!!!!

I laughed because I know the truth. Let not Oliseh deceive himself thinking his so-called "policy" of benching "non-hungry" stars like Mikel, Iheanacho, Echiejile and Oboabona for "hungry stars" like Onobi, Akas, Oboroakpo paid off.

Please, apply the same policy against "quality" opposition like Egygt or whoever we'll be drawn against in the
3rd round of the World cup qualifying series. Get the results with the "exact" team that beat Swaziland and I'll definitely say "yes!!! Oliseh's policy paid off".

Oliseh please, be wise and careful. This is no "ego trip". It's the Senior National team. The pride of every Nigerian including myself.

Oliseh said "the whole world now knows I'm serious about nobody having a fixed spot...... Bla bla bla".

So he was trying to "prove a point" huh??

OF COURSE NOBODY HAS A FIXED SPOT but he should not allow his "overzealousness" hurt him.

There's something Clemens Westerhof knows about Oliseh and has seen in this team (based on Oliseh's selection policy, tactics "more"wink that made him say this.

Okocha, Alloy Agu, Keshi, Oliseh, Amunike, and Siasia all played under Westerhof. He knows their individual characteristics.

Westerhof once said of Keshi, "He was my best player in that generation of Eagles because he always knew what to do and how to get it exactly done..... He'll make a good coach someday"

Of Amunike, Westerhof never questioned his dedication and keen focus (linked to his "non-smiling" demeanor during assignments).

Of Oliseh, Westerhof regarded him as one of the best midfielders he ever worked with and once commented on his temperament.

Note: It's been a while I read westerhof's interviews on his players of '94 but I remember the central messages he passed across. That was in 2007/2008 before the Ghana 2008 Afcon (when I was 15+ yrs in mid 2007)).

I still have a copy of that news magazine.**smiles**

Westerhof knows "his boys". And knows those who had the "overall attitude" and "balanced temperament" to succeed at "coaching and team management".

Conclusion: I HOPE OLISEH PROVES WESTERHOF WRONG. But Westerhof has a very good point here.

Case re-rested.
*smiles*

joseph1013:

Former Super Eagles coach, Clemens Westerhof, has raised the alarm that Nigeria stand the risk of not qualifying for the 2018 World Cup to be staged in Russia with Sunday Oliseh in charge.

Westerhof, who guided the Super Eagles to Africa Cup of Nations triumph in Tunisia in 1994 as well as a second round appearance in the 1994 FIFA World Cup debut in the United States of America, said the Super Eagles' start to the qualifiers does not give confidence the team will win the race to Russia.

“Congratulations, you beat Swaziland 2-0 in the return leg match of the preliminary round of the qualifiers,” Westerhof told Complete Sports.

“But does that really call for celebration? Yes, there are no minnows in football but who are Swaziland to hold the Super Eagles to a goalless draw (in Swaziland)?

“The Super Eagles won 2-0 in (Port Harcourt) Nigeria but is it not a game the Super Eagles should be winning 6-0, 7-0 under normal circumstances?. What type of football do they play in Swaziland?”

Reminded that the Super Eagles are undergoing rebuilding following the arrival of a new manager, Sunday Oliseh, to take charge of technical affairs of the team, Westerhof said there’s no sign the team will get better.

“Swaziland is not the first match Super Eagles have played under Oliseh. There has not been any difference between their first game under him and the game with Swaziland.

“I’m sorry, with Oliseh, the Super Eagles may not go to the World Cup in Russia,” Westerhof declared.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/westerhof-oliseh-eagles-2018-world-cup/?[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
joseph1013:

The job of bashing a head coach should be left to analyst and football fans, this is not something a former coach should be doing no matter what his accomplishments are. Westerhof never liked Oliseh he still blames him for the 94 exit to Italy. Im sorry next!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:46pm On Nov 19, 2015
I do. I cited this in one of my posts on the "Nigeria 2-0 Swaziland" thread and somewhere else (can't recall).

Vs. Cameroun (Mikel freekick to Ambrose header)
Vs. Swaziland (Simon freekick)
Vs. Swaziland (Igboun freekick to Ambrose tap-in)
--cant recall the other for now...**lemme check**

On any good day, He's tactically good I've always said that.

He just needs to avoid some "over-zealousness" overriding wisdom.

*smiles*

joseph1013:
Who else noticed that we now score consistently from set pieces? 6 games, 4 goals from set pieces. If this does not impress you, it does me. I praise Oliseh for that.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Tomtoxic: 5:10pm On Nov 19, 2015
if only the white man was reading this westerhoff shut up I say SHHHUUUUUT UP u nur even win world cup 4 us u dey make noise.
mtttchheeew
my oliseh will achieve more dan u

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 19, 2015
it's like westerhoof wants super Eagles job again.
why can't he shut up and watch..

well I trust oliseh ...he doesn't give a fuk just like mourinho.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:17pm On Nov 19, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

The job of bashing a head coach should be left to analyst and football fans, this is not something a former coach should be doing no matter what his accomplishments are. Westerhof never liked Oliseh he still blames him for the 94 exit to Italy. Im sorry next!

Come on. Westerhof virtually groomed Oliseh with his own hands. He brought Oliseh into the Super Eagles as an amateur player. He had the senior players coaching Oliseh to make him catch up with the team.

Westerhof pointing out deficiencies in Oliseh's triumph over Swaziland is not hatred but a fact.

If Coach Keshi drew with Swaziland, Coach Oliseh would have slaughtered him on papers. So Oliseh should be able to take some bashing.

It is time we stop celebrating mediocrity and listen to our legendary coach. Westerhof believes we should be shipping 6 to 7 goals against Swaziland. We should accept it and demand more from Coach Oliseh.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:26pm On Nov 19, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
I do. I cited this in one of my posts on the "Nigeria 2-0 Swaziland" thread and somewhere else (can't recall).

Vs. Cameroun (Mikel freekick to Ambrose header)
Vs. Swaziland (Simon freekick)
Vs. Swaziland (Igboun freekick to Ambrose tap-in)
--cant recall the other for now...**lemme check**

On any good day, He's tactically good I've always said that.

He just needs to avoid some "over-zealousness" overriding wisdom.

*smiles*

Contrary, I do not see scoring from set pieces as the height of brilliant coaching. I use Guardiola as a standard model for understanding brilliant coaching. Not Mourinho who I think Coach Oliseh adores.

Most of Guardiola's goals come from creative team play. Goals from open play.

Celebrating set pieces as the height of tactics is not correct.

Look at this video to understand what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helPJ9Eo0Po

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:33pm On Nov 19, 2015
Tomtoxic:
if only the white man was reading this westerhoff shut up I say SHHHUUUUUT UP u nur even win world cup 4 us u dey make noise.
mtttchheeew
my oliseh will achieve more dan u

Do not tell the legendary coach to shut up. Westerhof revolutionized Nigerian football and put the structure we are enjoying today.

His team was too brilliant and we were rated as the fifth best team in the World. We played any team without fear. The Italian team that knocked us out of the '94 World Cup was the second best team in the World and with the best player in the World, Roberto Baggio.

Westerhof changed the lives of a lot of youngsters and made them super stars. Where did Van Gaal see Finidi George to sign him? Watching Finidi play for Westerhof. Westerhof used to have primary school footballers come and watch the Super Eagles train.

He was a visionary man and treated us like his own. If anyone has the right to caution Coach Oliseh when he is Faltering, it is the Legend, Coach Clemens Westerhof.

He did too much for us for any Nigerian to tell him to shut up.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 189
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.