Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys (20850 Views)

Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? / I Found Dis Inside A Paracetamol Tab. / NAFDAC Exposes Dangers Of Prolonged Use Of Paracetamol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 21, 2015
Andyempowered:
No sir, it is tetracycline and other divalent metal containing drugs that causes 'brown teeth' in babies. I could explain the details if you so desire. Cheers

Okay , but the paracetamols are contraindicated for pregnancy ?
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by mattonnairaland: 2:55pm On May 21, 2015
That's bad, it can deform the baby.
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 21, 2015
Andyempowered:
I want us to be careful when discrediting information based on someone's research, especially when you have no counter info based on your own research. As for the young man who pointed out that the research was done on animals, I would expect you know that all drugs in use today were once first experimented on animals. I would forgive you especially if you're not in the health sciences. However, Africans must realise it is time to do their own thing as there is increasing variation in pharmacological responses as you move from white to black races.

I guess you referred to me.

Well....first off this is how testing in drugs is done.

You start with tests on cells...invivo and invitro.

Then you go to animal models....

Then you go to humans...phase 1, 2 and 3 and 4.

Then you can make a pronouncement.

But the whole process can take as long as twenty years from cells to phase 4.

So, it is still early to tell. Very early.

Which is why a proper way of finding out would be , in this case, a prospective study looking at the moms of infertile males vs the moms of fertile males. The question such a study would look at would attempt to find out the paracetamol ingestion rates of the moms who gave birth to fertile males and compare it to the paracetamol rates of the moms who gave birth to infertile males(paracetamol intake when they were pregnant with the men, that is!).

What the above study shows is a possible mechanism. It still needs more work to be done before we can make a pronouncement. Still, caution is good.

And BTW...i am a doctor, who is also interested in evidence based medicine.(hope to make it part of my practice someday...when I become a consultant.).
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by Andyempowered(m): 5:04pm On May 21, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I guess you referred to me.

Well....first off this is how testing in drugs is done.

You start with tests on cells...invivo and invitro.

Then you go to animal models....

Then you go to humans...phase 1, 2 and 3 and 4.

Then you can make a pronouncement.

But the whole process can take as long as twenty years from cells to phase 4.

So, it is still early to tell. Very early.

Which is why a proper way of finding out would be , in this case, a prospective study looking at the moms of infertile males vs the moms of fertile males. The question such a study would look at would attempt to find out the paracetamol ingestion rates of the moms who gave birth to fertile males and compare it to the paracetamol rates of the moms who gave birth to infertile males(paracetamol intake when they were pregnant with the men, that is!).

What the above study shows is a possible mechanism. It still needs more work to be done before we can make a pronouncement. Still, caution is good.

And BTW...i am a doctor, who is also interested in evidence based medicine.(hope to make it part of my practice someday...when I become a consultant.).
I really appreciate your civility and intelligent way you presented your arguments. Your assertions are also very right as I am in the pharmacy profession. But then again, the report didnt give us enough details on which basis we can disprove or accept the claim. Thanks again for your matured reply. Cheers
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by Andyempowered(m): 5:22pm On May 21, 2015
neoapocalypse:

Okay , but the paracetamols are contraindicated for pregnancy ?
No sir, but prolonged use is discouraged
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by Okudiover(m): 5:23pm On May 21, 2015
holatin:
Even putting on gej campaign shirt during pregnancy can make d child clueless
. grin grin grin Una no go kill me oh!
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by rabimlomo: 5:45pm On May 21, 2015
One of the reasons men infertility has being on the decline.
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by holatin(m): 6:09pm On May 21, 2015
Okudiover:
. grin grin grin Una no go kill me oh!
lolz
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by holatin(m): 6:10pm On May 21, 2015
onyediya8:
grin
ogini
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by holatin(m): 6:11pm On May 21, 2015
firstEVA:
lol
lolest
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by holatin(m): 6:11pm On May 21, 2015
MevsU:

Wicked!
truthful
Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by jamesjohn2010: 7:45pm On May 21, 2015
one small study in animal model
story for the Gods
not hard. we can do 20year retrospective study to confirm. remember the statement said could harm not will harm or must harm. every drug has side effects. we take drug when we think the benefits outweigh the risks. not every problem that are common among the Caucasian are common in African. didn't your mother take PCM when is pregnant of you? did your thing disappeared ? that is why we call it study. more is required. both retrospective and prospective. WHO would not condemn paracetamol until enough has been done. this is just one group study. PCM is safe for now in pregnancy(WHO)

1 Like

Re: Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys by onyediya8(f): 9:24am On May 22, 2015
grin
holatin:
ogini
You are a joker mehn! You cracked me up with that comment.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Never Shake A Crying Baby, It Could Lead To Blindness And Brain Damage- Doctor / UNIBEN Professor Recants HIV/AIDS Cure Discovery / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.