Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,775 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination (17453 Views)

Ndiigbo: The Love For Jonathan And Hate To Ngige,okorocha Etc. / On Wike,Rivers state Election Re Run And Ndiigbo In Rivers State. / Debunking The Igbo's Domination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 8:48pm On May 26, 2015
Now that GEJ reign is in it's final days, I think it's time Ndiigbo take a stock of our political association with our non Igbo Eastern neighbors, since the advent of Nigeria as a colonial entity and now as an "independent" entity.

For the second time in our history, we rallied around an Eastern non Igbo, the first being Eyo ita, and GEJ being the second.

Often times, Ndiigbo have no problem rallying behind our non Igbo neighbors, but are our neighbors often comfortable rallying around us, when we need their help?
Can anyone say without any doubt that if tomorrow Ndiigbo presents a cause, that our Eastern non Igbo neighbors will rally behind us the way we had rallied behind their cause recently?

It would appear that the only time our unity with our non Igbo Eastern neighbors work is when we allow them stay at the driving seat or when our alliance directly benefits them and not us. The moment we decide to stay at the driving seat, cries of Igbo marginalization rents the air.

This gives me a cause for concern. As we plan our future and seek to strengthen our alliance with our non Igbo neighbors, we must self reflect on this, sweeping every thing under the rug and hoping they disappear is what turned Nigeria into its current mess, we must not make same mistakes as Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by OkutaNla: 9:06pm On May 26, 2015
Lol. I'd be concerned and apprehensive about any prospects of a long-term political alliance with Ndigbo if I were in the shoes of your non-igbo neighbors too.

Such fears are not without justification, considering historical precedence and the overly aggressive and arrogant manner with which some militant igbos engender hostility in their relations with some of their neighbors.

Take the whole Lagos "no mans land" issue for example. If the igbos can exhibit the effrontery to lock horns with a major ethnic group like the Yorubas over ownership of Lagos in the Yorubas own region, how much more would they intimidate and dominate their more timid SS neighbors? It's a no-brainer, really.

I'd be seriously apprehensive about Ndigbo domination too if I were your neighbors.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 26, 2015
Evaluate the independence and ecomonic dominance in pure perspective. A typical ibo man don't need handouts from any government unlike those who serve slavemaster at the end remain jobless and redundant

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by tucky200(m): 9:15pm On May 26, 2015
I don taya 4 all dis igbo people matter
Na only una dey ni....

8 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 9:17pm On May 26, 2015
The Eyo Ita Saga and the COR movement.

Eyo Ita was the leader of the Eastern region government between 1951-53, before he was replaced by Azikiwe. He was an Efik, yet he was the head in the East at about the same time Obong of Calabar was the leader of the Eastern house of chiefs ahead of high ranked Igbo chiefs like the Obi of Onitsha, Eze Nri and Eze Aro. It was almost like everything was alright in the East, as long as Ndiigbo take the back seat.

Often times, the fall of grace of Eyo Ita, and his replacement by Zik had been portrayed as Ndiigbo ganging up behind Zik to oust Eyo Ita by Eastern non Igbo groups, even though that was nothing but history revisionism. Eyo Ita himself helped spread this message as he became a poster boy for the COR( Calabar-Ogoja-Rivers) states movement, before he returned back to NCNC.

8 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 9:19pm On May 26, 2015
OkutaNla:
Lol. I'd be concerned and apprehensive about any prospects of a long-term political alliance with Ndigbo if I were in the shoes of your non-igbo neighbors.

Such fears are not without justification, considering historical precedence and the overly aggressive and arrogant manner with which some militant igbos engender hostility in their relations with some of their neighbors.

Take the whole Lagos "no mans land" issue for example. If the igbos can exhibit the effrontery to lock horns with a major ethnic group like the Yorubas over ownership of Lagos in the Yorubas own region, how much more would they intimidate and dominate their more timid SS neighbors? It's a no-brainer, really.

I'd be seriously apprehensive about Ndigbo domination too if I were your neighbors.

I don't remember using the ambiguous term "SS" in my thread opening post. What I used was Eastern non Igbo groups, there was a reason for that, you know.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Obijulius: 9:21pm On May 26, 2015
God bless Igbos everywhere.

Keep the light shining.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by OkutaNla: 9:27pm On May 26, 2015
pazienza:

I don't remember using the ambiguous term "SS" in my thread opening post. What I used was Eastern non Igbo groups, there was a reason for that, you know.

What was the reason for your refusal to make that direct reference, if i may ask, even after initially doing just that via the Eyo Ita and GEJ mentions?

6 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by PedroJP(m): 9:28pm On May 26, 2015
This should be a discussion between Igbos and their Eastern brothers, not a forum discussion. Children of hate will soon flood here.

Things can only get better. Our focus now is beyond the entity called Nigeria.

20 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by SilverSurfer: 9:38pm On May 26, 2015
OkutaNla:
Lol. I'd be concerned and apprehensive about any prospects of a long-term political alliance with Ndigbo if I were in the shoes of your non-igbo neighbors.

I actually wanted to insult you but had to restrain myself. Igbos and intimidation in one sentence. There is something about igbos other ethnic groups fail to understand. An igbo man does not wake up thinking.........how am i going to intimidate my neighbor today he simply does not have the time and strength for such. An igbo man's life is simple......He wakes up, he prays and proceeds to make money. The igbos have been in contact with the ijaws, ibibios, annangs, ikweres etc. for centuries now and it's not on record that they ever intimidated any of the above mentioned groups. Young man, it will be in your best interest to stop spewing trash.

47 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by SilverSurfer: 9:42pm On May 26, 2015
tucky200:
I don taya 4 all dis igbo people matter
Na only una dey ni....
You could've skipped the thread nah. Nobody actually invited you here. If the heat is too much, you simply leave the kitchen....... finito.

17 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by waternogetemeny: 9:46pm On May 26, 2015
OP as it stands now, Ndiigbo will exit Nigeria alone not leaving any igbo or igbo sub-group behind.

The Non-igbos can continue to stay in Nigeria where dey are not dominated. I no do again!

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by SilverSurfer: 9:47pm On May 26, 2015
I've really cared less about biafra all along but with what I'm seeing daily on NL, I think the best for us the igbos is to aggressively agitate for the republic of igboland. I could careless who joins us but we must not stop pushing for referendum until the republic of igboland is a reality.

11 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Yeske2(m): 9:49pm On May 26, 2015
This is actually the problem we Ndigbo have, we never learn from history. I've asked several times on this forum and elsewhere, if GEJ were to be an Igbo man, would he had received same support and loyalty from non-Igbo Easterners? Answer is a big NO. Let's all roll on and see where this will lead to

6 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by warrior01: 9:50pm On May 26, 2015
SilverSurfer:
You could've skipped the thread nah. Nobody actually invited you here. If the heat is too much, you simply leave the kitchen....... finito.
I wonder o! Anyways, the children of anger are gradually gathering and soon they will tell you that there are no igbos in 'south south' but nzeogwu's coup is an Igbo coup. I never see people so dumb and ignorant

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Abagworo(m): 9:51pm On May 26, 2015
SilverSurfer:
I actually wanted to insult you but had to restrain myself. Igbos and intimidation in one sentence. There is something about igbos other ethnic groups fail to understand. An igbo man does not wake up thinking.........how am i going to intimidate my neighbor today he simply does not have the time and strength for such. An igbo man's life is simple......He wakes up, he prays and proceeds to make money. The igbos have been in contact with the ijaws, ibibios, annangs, ikweres etc. for centuries now and it's not on record that they ever intimidated any of the above mentioned groups. Young man, it will be in your best interest to stop spewing trash.

On point but our beliefs in calling wherever we settle home is what others view as dominance. Igbos multiply like virus and systemically outdo their hosts using the money made in the host community by tapping mostly into unseen dubious opportunities.

16 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 9:51pm On May 26, 2015
OkutaNla:

What was the reason for your refusal to make that direct reference, if i may ask, even after initially doing just that via the Eyo Ita and GEJ mentions?

Because ethnicities such as Isoko, Urhobo, Itsekiri and Bini which are in the ambiguous "SS" were not part of the "Eastern non Igbo" groups. I didn't want posters from those regions derailing this thread.

7 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by OkutaNla: 9:53pm On May 26, 2015
pazienza:

Because ethnicities such as Isoko, Urhobo, Itsekiri and Bini which are in the ambiguous "SS" were not part of the "Eastern non Igbo" groups. I didn't want posters from those regions derailing this thread.

Noted.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by waternogetemeny: 9:54pm On May 26, 2015
Honestly, nobody is forcing anything on anybody, dey can remain in Nigeria, just let us out. We will build a massive seaport in Abia and River Port in Onitsha.

Honestly, if u look closely at the map of Africa, u will find two countries in the middle of no where on South Africa. They are Swaziland and Lesotho. They are not complaining or begging to join South Africa. They are happy with their own country.

Ndiigbo dont need south south, we need peace. Every other thing falls into place wen u have peace. The enmity is too much, the evil eye is too much. They leave people that are enjoying their oil and attack us. Igbos have never harm their neighbours rather it is them that was kidnapping and selling us to the whites during slavery.

We want an igbo only country.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 9:57pm On May 26, 2015
Ndiigbo are not empire builders, we have no history of conquering and assimilating non Igbo groups as a unit, where exactly did the myth of Igbo dominance and land grab emanate from?

Even people with history of village empires building, expansionism and conquering of neighboring groups keep shouting about Igbo land grab, until the whole country came to see this as the truth.

19 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Abagworo(m): 9:58pm On May 26, 2015
waternogetemeny:
Honestly, nobody is forcing anything on anybody, dey can remain in Nigeria, just let us out. We will build a massive sea port in Abia and River Port in Onitsha.

Honestly, if u look closely at the map of Africa, u will find two countries in the middle of know where on South Africa. They are Swaziland and Lesotho. They are not complaining or begging to join South Africa. They are happy with their own country.

Ndiigbo dont need south south, we need peace. Every other thing falls into place wen u have peace. The enmity is too much, the evil eye is too much. They leave people that are enjoying their oil and attack us. Igbos have never harm their neighbours rather it is them that was kidnapping and selling us to the whites during slavery.

We want an igbo only country.

What a false accusation. Please do not distort history. Igbos sold themselves to Whitemen just like they kidnap themselves for ransom today. Ijaws were barely middlemen who helped the Igbos sell themselves.

8 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by SilverSurfer: 9:59pm On May 26, 2015
warrior01:

I wonder o! Anyways, the children of anger are gradually gathering and soon they will tell you that there are no igbos in 'south south' but nzeogwu's coup is an Igbo coup. I never see people so dumb and ignorant
Owere ife ndigbo ga eme meta ndia mma. I honestly wish we should stop tagging the ND along with us. They are big enough to fight their battle all by themselves. Ife anyi yana achusike bu inweta obodo nkeanyi. We can do without oil with purposeful leadership. Japan, singerpore, and the likes come to mind. Oil has made our people lazy and you know we are not like this. Science and technology is the way forward. We can do it.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by waternogetemeny: 10:01pm On May 26, 2015
Abagworo:

What a false accusation. Please do not distort history. Igbos sold themselves to Whitemen just like they kidnap themselves for ransom today. Ijaws were barely middlemen who helped the Igbos sell themselves.

U dont need to misquote me. I am not in a debate with you. I have stated the facts as documented by the British, if u dont like it feel free to drown yourself in one of your many waters down south.

5 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:03pm On May 26, 2015
Abagworo:

"They"? Are you really an Igboman? I doubt. No one refers to a group he is a member of as " they".

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by SilverSurfer: 10:04pm On May 26, 2015
Abagworo:

On point but our beliefs in calling wherever we settle home is what others view as dominance. Igbos multiply like virus and systemically outdo their hosts using the money made in the host community by tapping mostly into unseen dubious opportunities.
True. I really do not care what anybody says. Igbos have always being good ambassadors wherever they are found. I only plead with our do their business in peace until this country is balkanized.

8 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by waternogetemeny: 10:05pm On May 26, 2015
All we are asking is to be given our igbo only country. The South/South can remain in Nigeria with the North and West, u guys lose nothing. Just cut us loose, we are causing too much trouble for the owners of Nigeria.

With us out of the picture, the coast is clear, do wateva that pleases you, just let us out. Please!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:13pm On May 26, 2015
Was Eyo Ita really ousted by Ndiigbo? Was his removal ethnically motivated to make room for Zik?
Many Efiks point at his fall from Grace as evidence of Igbo dominating attitude and tribalism.

It was cool and dandy when Eyo Ita reigned, but cries of Igbo domination began when an Igbo reigned.

9 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by SilverSurfer: 10:15pm On May 26, 2015
pazienza:
Ndiigbo are not empire builders, we have no history of conquering and assimilating non Igbo groups as a unit, where exactly did the myth of Igbo dominance and land grab emanate from?

Even people with history of village empires building, expansionism and conquering of neighboring groups keep shouting about Igbo land grab, until the whole country came to see this as the truth.
Nna ife nkea gwurum Ike. Igbos and dominance in one sentence.... If you're looking for such kind of people, look no farther than the Fulani. Any land an igbo man acquires outside igboland is neither by intimidation nor by land grabbing. He pays for everything he makes use of. If every other ethnic groups in Nigeria sees life the way an igboman sees it, there won't be strife and bloodshed in this country. The ills of the igbos in this country can only be resolved by having a country of their own.

8 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:21pm On May 26, 2015
We cannot sweep all these under the rug and pretend all is cool. We need to know the stand of those we intend forming an alliance with.

As I won't be a party to an alliance that can only work when and only if the Igboman is forced to take a back seat to the minorities. It's totally unacceptable, there can't be any alliance without trust.

9 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by truefact: 10:26pm On May 26, 2015
OkutaNla:
Lol. I'd be concerned and apprehensive about any prospects of a long-term political alliance with Ndigbo if I were in the shoes of your non-igbo neighbors too.

But you would not be apprehensive with ethnic cleansing in the MB

5 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:27pm On May 26, 2015
SilverSurfer:
Nna ife nkea gwurum Ike. Igbos and dominance in one sentence.... If you're looking for such kind of people, look no farther than the Fulani. Any land an igbo man acquires outside igboland is neither by intimidation nor by land grabbing. He pays for everything he makes use of. If every other ethnic groups in Nigeria sees life the way an igboman sees it, there won't be strife and bloodshed in this country. The ills of the igbos in this country can only be resolved by having a country of their own.

The Yorubas were busy building empires, looking for weaker groups to assimilate, the Fulanis colonized the Hausas, the Binis were busy terrorising some parts of Yorubaland and Anioma, trying to force stooges on the people.

These people( Binis, Yorubas, Fulanis) are not apologetic for the pains their ancestors brought to their neighbors, they rather revere in their acts and see such as a show of strength.

But these same people will turn around and start accusing the Igboman with no such history of land grabbing of seeking for whom to dominate.

And over the years, these lies have been repeated, until the Igbo who never had an Army or empire became the land grabbers and expansionists.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by B69U: 10:31pm On May 26, 2015
pazienza:

The Yorubas were busy building empires, looking for weaker groups to assimilate, the Fulanis colonized the Hausas, the Binis were busy terrorising some parts of Yorubaland and Anioma, trying to force stooges on the people.
These people( Binis, Yorubas, Fulanis) are not apologetic for the pains their ancestors brought to their neighbors, they rather revere in their acts and see such as a show of strength.
But these same people will turn around and start accusing the Igboman with no such history of land grabbing or seeking for whom to dominate.
And over the years, these lies have been repeated, until the Igbo who never had an Army or empire became the land grabbers and expansionists.

The Oyo Empire ran into trouble wen the yoruba men where defeated by the women's army fon of dahomey. Igbos have always been segmental rather than hierarchical. We have too many small autonomous groups that have never been unified till this day.

Hierarcical society usually have an Empire outlook. Like the Fulani Emir system all over the North. The Kingdom of Benin is an example of Hierarcical society that will attempt to dominate the whole southsouth and impose one rule under the Oba of Benin.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Commissioning Of Defence Space Administration In Abuja (Photos) / Afenifere, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Northern Elders Forum Endorse Atiku / Ruga Comment : Abia State Government Disowns Kalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.