Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,821 members, 7,828,004 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination (17554 Views)

Ndiigbo: The Love For Jonathan And Hate To Ngige,okorocha Etc. / On Wike,Rivers state Election Re Run And Ndiigbo In Rivers State. / Debunking The Igbo's Domination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Imokay: 3:58am On Jun 05, 2015
pazienza:
1. The creation of states by Gowon and Awo were done solely to divide Biafra.

2. Dappa is only but a person with a single vote. Before Gowon and Awo madness of state creations, New regions were always created via referendum! Bamenda and Midwest left the Western and Eastern region via referendum, not via military fiat!

3. Ojukwu was always open to a UN supervised plebiscite in the Eastern region non areas Igbo areas, an offer Gowon and Awo rejected because of a British intelligence report that warned them that the minorities would chose to stay with Ndiigbo.

4. For every Dappa in Ijawland, there was Opigo, kings of Buguma and Bakana and other Ijaw kings, they were all royal to Biafra and Ojukwu. For every Saro Wiwa, there was a Kogbara who was a legitimate Ogoni leader in Biafra.

5. Gowon and Awo state creation wasn't created using Willink reports, it was divisive and a desperate attempt. Biafra offered the Eastern region non Igbo groups more provinces and autonomy that satisfied the willink report more.

All the points you have listed is a no brainer though partly true. The thrust is state creation was timed to cut Ojukwu to size and i laugh at the feasibility of plebiscite at that time, the party with a stronger force will not yield to level ground with the weaker party in an unpredictable election
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 6:11pm On Jun 06, 2015
Imokay:

All the points you have listed is a no brainer though partly true. The thrust is state creation was timed to cut Ojukwu to size and i laugh at the feasibility of plebiscite at that time, the party with a stronger force will not yield to level ground with the weaker party in an unpredictable election

The plebiscite was suggested by Ojukwu because the Nigerian propaganda machine led by Awo and Gowon, had accused Biafra of forcefully annexing the non Igbo parts of Biafra.

Ojukwu decided to humiliate Gowon by asking him to agree to UN supervised plebiscite in the non Igbo speaking parts of Biafra. Ofcourse, Ojukwu knew what the result of that plebiscite will be, the British knew too, and warned Gowon against such.

The point was that the East was united in her desire to secede from Nigeria. Biafra wasn't an Igbo project, it was an Eastern region project, a region Ndiigbo were a majority, and so played a major role in the project.

By the way, no part of my post is "partly true", they are facts.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 3:00am On Jul 15, 2015
there was
nothing wrong with Awo’s aspirations,
there was nothing wrong with contest
between the East and West for socio-
economic and political power, except that
no ethnic group in Nigeria wants to
contest with Igbo on equal terms or
compete on a level playing field. Nigeria
obviously felt happy that it has removed
the Igbo obstacle by inscribing the
Federal Character in the constitution.
And we cannot deny that there was a
sing-song of “Igbo domination” in the
years leading to the crises that led to the
coup and the war. Unfortunately, the fear
of “Igbo domination” not only created an
enduring conspiracy to cripple the Igbo
but also left an unsettled issue of
citizenship that has created the dichotomy
of “settler” and “indigene” for which blood
flows in the Plateau today.

Even though this has more to do with Odua-Arewa claims of Igbo domination, but I still find this this quote by Jason Pini really evergreen. May God bless his soul!
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by darfay: 4:30am On Jul 15, 2015
pazienza:
there was
nothing wrong with Awo’s aspirations,
there was nothing wrong with contest
between the East and West for socio-
economic and political power, except that
no ethnic group in Nigeria wants to
contest with Igbo on equal terms or
compete on a level playing field. Nigeria
obviously felt happy that it has removed
the Igbo obstacle by inscribing the
Federal Character in the constitution.
And we cannot deny that there was a
sing-song of “Igbo domination” in the
years leading to the crises that led to the
coup and the war. Unfortunately, the fear
of “Igbo domination” not only created an
enduring conspiracy to cripple the Igbo
but also left an unsettled issue of
citizenship that has created the dichotomy
of “settler” and “indigene” for which blood
flows in the Plateau today.

Even though this has more to do with Odua-Arewa claims of Igbo domination, but I still find this this quote by Jason Pini really evergreen. May God bless his soul!
Every tym igbo dix igbo dat nawa o.only God knows y u are hawking dix thingh on ur head lyk gala do u have a normal lyf at all self,you nid help bro coz tribalism,xenophobia haz eaten deep into ur soul .if u ain't shoving igboness downs peoples throat 2day u'll b spewing thrash bout minority tribes or insulting yorubas.If Christ comes 2day wat are u going 2 tell him? Mehn better stop being tribalistic and c hw u can contribute ur quota 2 national development nd put a smile on someones face everyday coz at d end doxe are d things dat really matters in lyf
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Igboid: 1:59am On Jun 25, 2021
Abagworo:
Nobody has problem with Igbos politicaly in this modern era. The war finished 45 years ago and even though the bruises remain we have all moved on in a united Nigeria. Our alliance should be with justice and not with South-South or North per se. We should align with whatever leads to progress of Nigeria as a nation. I almost gave up on Nigeria but Buhari's emergence has rekindled my hope.

grin grin
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Igboid: 2:07am On Jun 25, 2021
Abagworo:
I wonder the kind of psychological impact the civil war had on Igbos to the extent of creating an anti-progressive stance and self destructive tendency. In the long run Jonathan will realise that it was his romance with Igbos that blinded him from reality of Nigeria at his time and this will also make his kins hate Igbos the more. I am Igbo from Imo State and it seems we do not share much of the self destructive trait with some others. I guess we suffered the most casualty in the Biafran war which has been regretable. We have moved on and believe in trying to make Nigeria work.

Jonathan knew everything to do but chose not to do them because he was blinded by money and hence forgot where he came from. Buhari will do everything Jonathan failed to do like

1) completing the East-West road and Elele-Owerri road

2) 2nd Niger bridge

Most importantly he will create a system that works and will never condole corruption at high levels.

I will love an Igbo country but I do not believe it will work right now as there exists no love among Igbos. Let us try Buhari 1st and see if he can put us on the right track.

God bless Aligbo

God bless Nigeria.

Abagworo, how far? Has Buhari placed your dead country on right track now? grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kano Police Command Arrests Members Of Boko Haram Group / Manir Dan’Iya Is PDP's Guber Candidate In Sokoto / Amosun, Suswan, Abaribe, Yayi and Other Oppose Border Closure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.