Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,509 members, 7,826,935 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination (17543 Views)

Ndiigbo: The Love For Jonathan And Hate To Ngige,okorocha Etc. / On Wike,Rivers state Election Re Run And Ndiigbo In Rivers State. / Debunking The Igbo's Domination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Nobody: 10:30am On May 31, 2015
Ritchiee:
It takes the KING OF MUMUS to know the mumus of this world...Well,KING MUMU THE FIRST...You think Prof. Akpan Ekpo,the current DG of WAIFEM is also a mumu because he said the same thing...
lol... I didnt quote u, u saw my post and looked at ur attributes and behavior and branded urself a mumu... is it my fault?
As for ur post, I don't need to read it, u re beneath me, go and argue with ur fellow mumus.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Ritchiee: 10:57am On May 31, 2015
lygn19:
lol... I didnt quote u, u saw my post and looked at ur attributes and behavior and branded urself a mumu... is it my fault?
As for ur post, I don't need to read it, u re beneath me, go and argue with ur fellow mumus.
EHYA...are you so pained?Was thinking maybe you could recognise PROF AKPAN EKPO as a mumu too...but alas...sure, I am not in your league...I would not want to be caught in the same boat with KING MUMU THE FIRST...now shoo off your mumuyal highness...
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by scholes0(m): 7:34pm On May 31, 2015
SilverSurfer:
The igbos have been in contact with the ijaws, ibibios, annangs, ikweres etc. for centuries now and it's not on record that they ever intimidated any of the above mentioned groups. Young man, it will be in your best interest to stop spewing trash.

But that is not entirely true sir....
Even though, prior to colonialization most Igbos lived in little ibdependent steads isolated from one another and dotted all over the land, they still had some history of clashes and attempt at domination with some of their eastern neighbours.
Now, imagine what would have been the case, if they were an empire building people with a civilization of note..

3 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by SilverSurfer: 4:41pm On Jun 01, 2015
scholes0:

But that is not entirely true sir....
Even though, prior to colonialization most Igbos lived in little ibdependent steads isolated from one another and dotted all over the land, they still had some history of clashes and attempt at domination with some of their eastern neighbours.
Now, imagine what would have been the case, if they were an empire building people with a civilization of note..
Sir, if you don't mind, can you list 1 of such clashes.

1 Like

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by scholes0(m): 4:51pm On Jun 01, 2015
SilverSurfer:
Sir, if you don't mind, can you list 1 of such clashes.

The history of Arochukwu, An Original Ibibio homeland. The Ibibios arrived in Arochukwu from the Benue valley and founded early states like Obong Okon Ita and Ibom. After many years, Igbo immigrants came along from further North/West, and pressed into the Ibibio occupied territory and founded several states, which led to wars between the Aro subgroup of the Ibos and their Ibibio hosts. A stalemate occured, after which the Aros sought more reinforcement from their igbo brethren further west, which eventually led to the capture of the area. The Ibibio natives were acculturated or expelled.
Till today, the Ibibio elements of Arochukwu and environs is still very visible, but the culture is now Igbo dominated.

Go and read up on the Aro-Ibibio wars.
Just this one example, has already refuted your entire claim that Igbos were living with their Eastern neighbors in one big blissful neighborhood devoid of conflict and subjugation of entire cultures. You can never cook up lies and fables for enlightened people.

4 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by PabloAfricanus(m): 5:55pm On Jun 01, 2015
scholes0:

The history of Arochukwu, An Original Ibibio homeland. The Ibibios arrived in Arochukwu from the Benue valley and founded early states like Obong Okon Ita and Ibom. After many years, Igbo immigrants came along from further North/West, and pressed into the Ibibio occupied territory and founded several states, which led to wars between the Aro subgroup of the Ibos and their Ibibio hosts. A stalemate occured, after which the Aros sought more reinforcement from their igbo brethren further west, which eventually led to the capture of the area. The Ibibio natives were acculturated or expelled.
Till today, the Ibibio elements of Arochukwu and environs is still very visible, but the culture is now Igbo dominated.

Go and read up on the Aro-Ibibio wars.
Just this one example, has already refuted your entire claim that Igbos were living with their Eastern neighbors in one big blissful neighborhood devoid of conflict and subjugation of entire cultures. You can never cook up lies and fables for enlightened people.
Interesting.

scholes0:

No it has not...you are going to need more instances of inter-ethnic warfare for you to even begin to call it a hypothesis.
Aro-Ibibio wars going by your citations so far is just an isolated instance.
Care to list more instances of Igbo vs neighbours wars?
I'm actually interested in the history and will be obliged.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by scholes0(m): 6:44pm On Jun 01, 2015
PabloAfricanus:

Interesting.

No it has not...you are going to need more instances of inter-ethnic warfare for you to even begin to call it a hypothesis.
Aro-Ibibio wars going by your citations so far is just an isolated instance.
Care to list more instances of Igbo vs neighbours wars?
I'm actually interested in the history and will be obliged.

This is beginning to bear strong synonymity with that classic case, where the wife always asks her husband: "what have you ever done for me?"
The husband cites one instance of when he has actually done something for her, and then, she dismisses that instance like it actually didnt happen, and then retorts: okay okay.. erm, apart from that one nko? which other things have you done?
The husband cites another instance, and she again dismisses it, and asks again, "okay okay, apart from the two previous times, which other time have you done anything for me? "
And the cycle continues like that ....

And having said that, I will cite you another case.
Do you know that various groups in Ebonyi state, especially the eastern areas, who are considered Igbo today, were riginally non-Igbo? I mean the Abakeleke-Obubra-Afikpo-Ugep axis.
Afikpo axis's original inhabitants were non-Igbo speaking groups such as the Egu and Ebiri, which are related to the modern day peoples of Northern cross river, such as the Yakurr and Bekwarra and other Benue-Congo peoples. These people were also victims of Igbo expansionism when wars were launched on them. Many fled, while others were assimilated.
Till today, there are still communal skirmishes between Eastern Ebonyi groups and those in Western Cross River, in places such as Abi LGA.

2 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by PabloAfricanus(m): 7:09pm On Jun 01, 2015
scholes0:

This is beginning to bear strong synonymity with that classic case, where the wife always asks her husband: "what have you ever done for me?"
The husband cites one instance of when he has actually done something for her, and then, she dismisses that instance like it actually didnt happen, and then retorts: okay okay.. erm, apart from that one nko? which other things have you done?
The husband cites another instance, and she again dismisses it, and asks again, "okay okay, apart from the two previous times, which other time have you done anything for me? "
And the cycle continues like that ....

And having said that, I will cite you another case.
Do you know that various groups in Ebonyi state, especially the eastern areas, who are considered Igbo today, were riginally non-Igbo? I mean the Abakeleke-Obubra-Afikpo-Ugep axis.
Afikpo axis's original inhabitants were non-Igbo speaking groups such as the Egu and Ebiri, which are related to the modern day peoples of Northern cross river, such as the Yako and Bekwarra and other Benue-Congo peoples. These people were also victims of Igbo expansionism when wars were launched on them. Many fled, while others were assimilated.
Till today, there are still communal skirmishes between Eastern Ebonyi groups and those in Western Cross River, in places such as Abi LGA.

The above instances you cited...while being VALID...still look to me like mere skirmishes or inter-ethnic acculturation over time.
The Aro-Ibibio seems to have the closest semblance to a real war for territory.
"Expansionism" primarily means a group of people took up arms and invaded a foreign territory...took over by force of arms
and drove the indigenes out.
It does not really refer to a larger population overshadowing a smaller population...if you get the drift.

Lemme give you instances of "proper" inter ethnic wars.
(1)The Igalla-Jukun(circa 17??) and Igalla-Bini wars (circa 1515).
The Attah then engaged Igalla's overlords to secure independence for Igalla kingdom.
The names of the personalities involved are relatively known, the details of the conflicts are also known.

(2)The Dahomey-Oyo wars.
This has pretty much been documented...nothing much to say.

(3) The Kukuruku wars of Edo-Idah (circa 1850)
The Iyoba Idia assisted defeat of the Attah.You can look up the details.

(4) The Fulani-Oyo wars

The above instances are clear "armed conflicts" with opposing armies and all that...
There seems to be a lack of proper documentation of the dealings of Igbos with her surrounding neighbours.
If you have more instances kindly list them.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Mapletraks: 7:15pm On Jun 01, 2015
pazienza:

Ironsi wasn't the one who dissolved the regions and their autonomy, he merely united the federal civil service. It was Gowon and Awo that dissolved the regions and created dysfunctional entities called states.

It wasn't the Igbo man that cancelled the 50-50 sharing formula between the owners of resources and the FG, It wasn't the Igboman that created the Land use decree that stole the resource rich lands of ND and made it bonanza party for all Nigerian groups, especially the Arewa-Odua.

But I have never seen you utter any anti Yoruba or Northern words on this forum, you remain innately Igbophobic, your veneer is wearing thin bro.

Are you sure you are not from the lands west of Ikalands, you now sound exactly like them, your veneer is wearing off fast and furious, better answer your father's name now. An anti GEJ SS commoner? It must be freezing in hell.*grins*

@pazienza

It was the foremost father of the Ijaw Nation,
Chief Harold Dappa-Biriye from Bonny Island,
Ken Saro-Wiwa, and other non-Ibos in the
Old Eastern Region that told Gowan to create
States. Chief Awolowo had nothing to do
with the decision as you wrongly stated above.

In the Guardian of May 27, 1999, Page 7 to Page 8, Chief Harold Dappa-Biriye accused the Ibo
of dominating the minorities and of trying to
RIVAL the Yoruba who were ahead of them.

He also said the coup plotters of 1966 were sent
by their masters. He refered to the coup
plotters as School Boys who were sent to do
the bidding of the Ibo leadership of the 60s.

Dappa Biriye also said Ironsi's Decree 33 sent
fears of domination among the minorities of the
East and the North of Nigeria in that interview.

Chief Dappa Biriye took the CREDIT for the
creation of the states that Gen. Gowan created
on May 27, 1967!

Get a copy of that article if you can from
the Guardian Library or archives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by PabloAfricanus(m): 8:25pm On Jun 01, 2015
Mapletraks:

@pazienza

In the Guardian of May 29, 1999, page 8 to page
9, Chief Harold Dappa-Biriye accused the Ibos

on May 27, 1967!

The state creation was standard divide and conquer strategy which Gowon as a military officer and administrator should
be quite familiar with.
Actually the decision to create states was a military one necessitated by the need to hole in Ojukwu and the
secessionists. Having said that, the goal was actually neutralizing Ojukwu's jurisdiction over the oil installations and hence
the oil revenues which he had mandated Shell to pay to Biafra and not Lagos.
Dappa Biriye cannot wholly take credit for that. While he might have had an input, I doubt if he was the originator.
The players involved were too international for him to influence to that level.
By that I mean that it was the British who gave Gowon the needed intelligence to call Ojukwu's bluff.
You can't fund a war on threats and agitations...you need cold hard cash. Cut that off and its over.
The British preferred to deal with Gowon than Ojukwu...and that was the undoing of Biafra.
It was the British who had the highest stakes in the Nigerian project and so...

1 Like

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Mapletraks: 9:54pm On Jun 03, 2015
PabloAfricanus:

The state creation was standard divide and conquer strategy which Gowon as a military officer and administrator should
be quite familiar with.
Actually the decision to create states was a military one necessitated by the need to hole in Ojukwu and the
secessionists. Having said that, the goal was actually neutralizing Ojukwu's jurisdiction over the oil installations and hence
the oil revenues which he had mandated Shell to pay to Biafra and not Lagos.
Dappa Biriye cannot wholly take credit for that. While he might have had an input, I doubt if he was the originator.
The players involved were too international for him to influence to that level.
By that I mean that it was the British who gave Gowon the needed intelligence to call Ojukwu's bluff.
You can't fund a war on threats and agitations...you need cold hard cash. Cut that off and its over.
The British preferred to deal with Gowon than Ojukwu...and that was the undoing of Biafra.
It was the British who had the highest stakes in the Nigerian project and so...

@PabloAfricanus

Your conclusion is NOT necessarily 100%
accurate.

If you are conversant with the geo-politics of
Nigeria from 1914 and the events leading right
up to 1970, YOU would recall that there was a
strong movement in the 50s for the creation
of the Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers States [COR]
by the non-Ibos of the Old Eastern Region.

The movement of Southern Cameroon after the
plebiscite back to Cameroon their union with
Nigeria was as a result of this feeling of marginalisation in the Eastern Regional politics
among other reasons.

Third, if you recall or read up again, The Willinks
Minority Report was instituted to investigate the
strong agitation by the "minorities" in Nigeria. The Ijaws and the Cross Riverians had cried out
over the domination of their lands and appointments by the Ibos. This had led to the
call for the COR States in the 1950s by the
founder of the Niger Delta Congress, Dr. Harold
Dappa-Biriye, an ex-King's College student, and
other Old Eastern Region minorities.

Last but NOT least, I stand by my original post
on this thread that based on The Guardian article
of Thursday 27th May, 1999, pages 7 to 8, Joseph Ollor-Obari interviewed Chief Harold
Dappa-Biriye in Port Harcourt. In that explosive
article which I filed in my historical archives/library since 1999, Dappa-Biriye said Gen. Gowon was a 31-year-old man who had just
arrived from England and did NOT have a
complete idea of what to do. So, from September
3, 1966, he and other non-Ibos in the Old Eastern
Region impresses it on Gen. Gowon on the NEED
to create new states NOT regions. He said it
was the Memorandum or Petition written by all
Rivers leaders of thought that finally led to
General Gowon's creation if 12 new States.

States creation was NOT a military idea or
invention and certainly NOT by Chief Obafemi
Awolowo, SAN, as wrongly stated by @pazienza
in his post above. The Memorandum or Petition
by the Rivers State leaders of thought to
create states and not regions in 1966/7 is contained in the Appendix Section of Dr. Ken
Saro-Wiwa's book entitled, "On the Darkening Plain."

The Guardian article title of May 27, 1999, page
7 to 8 is "Democracy and Autocracy, My Testimony: Dappa-Biriye." I had to check my
digital organiser to get the full title of the article
and the EXACT date of publication as I do NOT
want to misinform the younger generation on
REAL historical events. I would have scanned
the article from Guardian and uploaded it on
this thread, but it is NOT located where I now live. So, for those of us who hate Historical Revisionism and the distortion of truth, YOU
can get to RUTAM HOUSE in Lagos State, along
Apapa-Oshodi Expressway to see if you can get
that exact publication to read from there archives
or library.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:15pm On Jun 03, 2015
Mapletraks:

@PabloAfricanus

Your conclusion is NOT necessarily 100%
accurate.

If you are conversant with the geo-politics of
Nigeria from 1914 and the events leading right
up to 1970, YOU would recall that there was a
strong movement in the 50s for the creation
of the Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers States [COR]
by the non-Ibos of the Old Eastern Region.

The movement of Southern Cameroon after the
plebiscite back to Cameroon their union with
Nigeria was as a result of this feeling of marginalisation in the Eastern Regional politics
among other reasons.

Third, if you recall or read up again, The Willinks
Minority Report was instituted to investigate the
strong agitation by the "minorities" in Nigeria. The Ijaws and the Cross Riverians had cried out
over the domination of their lands and appointments by the Ibos. This had led to the
call for the COR States in the 1950s by the
founder of the Niger Delta Congress, Dr. Harold
Dappa-Biriye, an ex-King's College student, and
other Old Eastern Region minorities.

Last but NOT least, I stand by my original post
on this thread that based on The Guardian article
of Thursday 27th May, 1999, pages 7 to 8, Joseph Ollor-Obari interviewed Chief Harold
Dappa-Biriye in Port Harcourt. In that explosive
article which I filed in my historical archives/library since 1999, Dappa-Biriye said Gen. Gowon was a 31-year-old man who had just
arrived from England and did NOT have a
complete idea of what to do. So, from September
3, 1966, he and other non-Ibos in the Old Eastern
Region impresses it on Gen. Gowon on the NEED
to create new states NOT regions. He said it
was the Memorandum or Petition written by all
Rivers leaders of thought that finally led to
General Gowon's creation if 12 new States.

States creation was NOT a military idea or
invention and certainly NOT by Chief Obafemi
Awolowo, SAN, as wrongly stated by @pazienza
in his post above. The Memorandum or Petition
by the Rivers State leaders of thought to
create states and not regions in 1966/7 is contained in the Appendix Section of Dr. Ken
Saro-Wiwa's book entitled, "On the Darkening Plain."

The Guardian article title of May 27, 1999, page
7 to 8 is "Democracy and Autocracy, My Testimony: Dappa-Biriye." I had to check my
digital organiser to get the full title of the article
and the EXACT date of publication as I do NOT
want to misinform the younger generation on
REAL historical events. I would have scanned
the article from Guardian and uploaded it on
this thread, but it is NOT located where I now live. So, for those of us who hate Historical Revisionism and the distortion of truth, YOU
can get to RUTAM HOUSE in Lagos State, along
Apapa-Oshodi Expressway to see if you can get
that exact publication to read from there archives
or library.

What are you talking about.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:28pm On Jun 03, 2015
1. The creation of states by Gowon and Awo were done solely to divide Biafra.

2. Dappa is only but a person with a single vote. Before Gowon and Awo madness of state creations, New regions were always created via referendum! Bamenda and Midwest left the Western and Eastern region via referendum, not via military fiat!

3. Ojukwu was always open to a UN supervised plebiscite in the Eastern region non areas Igbo areas, an offer Gowon and Awo rejected because of a British intelligence report that warned them that the minorities would chose to stay with Ndiigbo.

4. For every Dappa in Ijawland, there was Opigo, kings of Buguma and Bakana and other Ijaw kings, they were all royal to Biafra and Ojukwu. For every Saro Wiwa, there was a Kogbara who was a legitimate Ogoni leader in Biafra.

5. Gowon and Awo state creation wasn't created using Willink reports, it was divisive and a desperate attempt. Biafra offered the Eastern region non Igbo groups more provinces and autonomy that satisfied the willink report more.

2 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:42pm On Jun 03, 2015
“THE WILLINK COMMISSION REPORT OF JULY 1958” Posted by: admin January 4, 2014 in News THE HISTORICAL AND POLITICAL BACKGROUND. 1. “More than 98% of people who inhabit this area (the ‘Ibo Plateau’ of the Eastern region) are Ibo and speak one language, though of course with certain differences of dialect. There are nearly five million of them and they are too many for the soil to support: they are vigorous and intelligent and have pushed outward in every direction, seeking a livelihood by trade or in service in the surrounding areas of the Eastern Region, in the Western Region, in the North and outside Nigeria. They are no more popular with their neighbours than is usual in the case of an energetic and expanding people whose neighbours have a more leisurely outlook on life.” 2. “Though there has been no great kingdom or indigenous culture in the Eastern Region, the coastal chiefs grew on their trade with the (European merchant) ships and they adopted customs, clothing and housing more advanced than those of the peoples of the interior on whom they had at first preyed for slaves. They came during the 19th Century to regard the people of the interior as backward and ignorant, and it was therefore a blow to their pride, as well as to their pockets, when the Ibos began to push outwards into the surrounding fringe of the country and particularly into the Calabar area, to take up land, to grow rich, to own houses and lorries and occupy posts in public services and in the services of large trading firms.” “It was among the Ibos, formerly despised by the people of Calabar as source of slaves and as a backward people of the interior, now feared and disliked as energetic and educated, that the first political party formed.” 3. “It is important to remember that of this (Ogoja) Province’s 1,082,000 inhabitants, 723,000 are Ibos, almost entirely in Abakaliki and Afikpo (Divisions), while the census classifies 350,000 as “Other Nigerian Tribes.” 4. The Rivers Province …includes the two divisions of Brass and Degema, both overwhelmingly Ijaw, and the Ogoni Division. The former Rivers Division also includes over 300,000 Ibos of whom 250,000 are in Ahoada Division and 45,000 in Port Harcourt. Port Harcourt is a town of recent growth and of rapidly increasing importance; it is built on land that blonged originally to an outlying branch of the Ibo tribe, the Diobus, but is largely inhabited by the Ibos from the interior who have come to trade or seek employment….Of the total 747,000 in the Rivers province, 305,000 are Ibos, 240,000 are Ijaws and 156,000 are Ogonis.” 5. “The strip to the south of the Ibo block, is physically, divided by a block of Ibo territory, tipped by the important Ibo town of Port Harcourt and tribally divided between the Ijaws and the Ogonis.” 6. “In the whole of this non-Ibo area there is present in varying degree some fear of being over-run, commercially and politically, by the Ibos….. if Ahoada and Port Harcourt, which are really Ibo, are considered with the solid centre of Ibo population, there are 54 seats for the Ibo area and 30 for COR (Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers) in (Eastern Regional House of Assembly).”
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:45pm On Jun 03, 2015
THE FEARS AND GRIEVANCES OF MINORITIES 7. “It was suggested (by non-Ibo petitioners) that it was the deliberate object of the Ibo majority in the Region to fill every post with Ibos (in public post and services).….when, however we came to consider specific complaints about the composition of public bodies, we found them in many cases exaggerated or unreasonable.” 8. “The allegation was put forward by counsel (to petitioners) that the Judiciary (when not European) was predominantly Ibo, with the implication that this caused fear among those who are not Ibos. But it was clearly stated in evidence by Dr. Udoma, the leader of UNIP, that no occasion could be adduced of the judiciary acting with partiality. The fact is that the legal profession is largely Ibos and the reasons for this do not seem to be Government action. It is therefore inevitable that there should be an Ibo preponderance among Judges and Magistrates. Further, it is the declared policy of Government that the Judiciary should be federal and this does not indicate a desire to control it. Again, the operation and composition of Public Service Commission here, as in the West, appeared to us in no way open to reproach.” 9. “In the Police, which in this region alone is wholly Federal, the number of Ibos in the higher appointments is not out of proportion to the Ibos in the region. The force is now federally controlled and although there are a large number of Ibos in the lower ranks, this is due to the fact that it has for long been a tradition among the Ibos to offer themselves for recruitment in this force in far greater numbers than any other tribe.” 10. “we noted that in five years, 1952 – 1957, from a total of 412 secondary scholarships, 216 were awarded to persons living in the COR areas, while the figures for post-secondary scholarships were 211 out of 623. The latter is about the right proportion of one-third, the former considerably in excess. It was suggested that scholarships awarded to non-Ibos were of an inferior kind and that the best scholarships went to Ibos, but we were, unable to see that this claim held any validity. On the evidence before us, we conclude that the allegations of discriminations in the matter of scholarships are unjustified.”
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:45pm On Jun 03, 2015
THE FEARS AND GRIEVANCES OF MINORITIES 7. “It was suggested (by non-Ibo petitioners) that it was the deliberate object of the Ibo majority in the Region to fill every post with Ibos (in public post and services).….when, however we came to consider specific complaints about the composition of public bodies, we found them in many cases exaggerated or unreasonable.” 8. “The allegation was put forward by counsel (to petitioners) that the Judiciary (when not European) was predominantly Ibo, with the implication that this caused fear among those who are not Ibos. But it was clearly stated in evidence by Dr. Udoma, the leader of UNIP, that no occasion could be adduced of the judiciary acting with partiality. The fact is that the legal profession is largely Ibos and the reasons for this do not seem to be Government action. It is therefore inevitable that there should be an Ibo preponderance among Judges and Magistrates. Further, it is the declared policy of Government that the Judiciary should be federal and this does not indicate a desire to control it. Again, the operation and composition of Public Service Commission here, as in the West, appeared to us in no way open to reproach.” 9. “In the Police, which in this region alone is wholly Federal, the number of Ibos in the higher appointments is not out of proportion to the Ibos in the region. The force is now federally controlled and although there are a large number of Ibos in the lower ranks, this is due to the fact that it has for long been a tradition among the Ibos to offer themselves for recruitment in this force in far greater numbers than any other tribe.” 10. “we noted that in five years, 1952 – 1957, from a total of 412 secondary scholarships, 216 were awarded to persons living in the COR areas, while the figures for post-secondary scholarships were 211 out of 623. The latter is about the right proportion of one-third, the former considerably in excess. It was suggested that scholarships awarded to non-Ibos were of an inferior kind and that the best scholarships went to Ibos, but we were, unable to see that this claim held any validity. On the evidence before us, we conclude that the allegations of discriminations in the matter of scholarships are unjustified.”
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:47pm On Jun 03, 2015
11. “It was further suggested that loans by the Eastern Regional Finance Corporation, the Eastern Region Development Board, and the Eastern Region Development Corporation were made with some degree of preference to Ibos. It did appear that most of the loans made by these bodies were to Ibos, but that is not to say that this was necessarily improper. Ibos constitute two thirds of the population of the region and have a bigger share of financial and commercial responsibility than their numbers warrant.” 12. “That there should be modern streetlight in Onitsha, and not Calabar, was also quoted as example of discrimination; it proved however that Onitsha Urban District Council had financed this measure from their own resources.” 13. “The question of land was repeatedly raised, it being resented by the Efiks and Ibibios that the Ibos should acquire land at all in their territory while the methods by which it was obtained were also questioned. There is no doubt that on the Ibo Plateau there is insufficient land for the people and the Ibos ate thrusting outwards where possible they acquire land and use it either for cultivation or building…..This is a matter which will require legislation sooner or later and it will be delicate to handle, but the economic process is in itself healthy and we had little sympathy with a witness who remarked that there is much undeveloped land in district and he was anxious that it should not fall into the hand of the Ibos….We believe that Governments in Nigeria should be careful not to try to protect minorities by introducing measures that would restrict development.” 14. “A group of miscellaneous grievances and charges against the Ibos from Calabar may be treated together; we were told that the Ibos did not observe local customs in the markets….We formed the impression that jealousy of the Ibos successes in the markets was the main factor.”
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:49pm On Jun 03, 2015
THE PROPOSAL FOR NEW STATES 15. “The Ogoja state proposed to us would include former Ogoja province, whose population of slightly more than One million include more than 700,000 Ibos…the main intention would be separation from the central body of Ibo population, but in which they will still be linked together with as a minority with their Ibo neighbours in Abakaliki and Afikpo…A majority of evidence we heard from Ogoja was direct that they preferred the present situation to any association with Calabar and that they were at least as much afraid of domination by Efiks and Ibibios as by Ibos.” 16. “The (Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers or COR) state proposed would consist of Calabar, Rivers and Ogoja provinces excluding the two Ibo Divisions of Abakaliki and Afikpo. The population of this area is 2,649,000 and the following would be the five largest tribes: Ibibio 717,000 Annang 435,000 Ibo 428,000 Ijaw 251,000 Ogoni 156,000 As already explained, the small but important Efik tribe of 71,000…The (COR) area is far from homogenous , and many of the other tribes expressed at least as much fear of the Efiks and Ibibios as of the Ibo. It would leave the Ibos of the Ibo Plateau surrounded by a state whose reason for existence was hostility to themselves: the Ibos are an expanding people…” 17. “The area claimed for Rivers state consists of the whole of the Rivers province, that is: The Division of Brass, Degema, Ogoni, Port Harcourt and Ahoada, together with the Western Ijaw Division from the western region, and two small sections in the Eastern Region from outside the Rivers Province, Opodo and Andoni being one, Ndoki the other.” 18. “Port Harcourt is an Ibo town and it is growing rapidly and the indigenous branch of the Ibos who are original inhabitants are already out-numbered by Ibos from the hinterland.” 19. “The people of Ahoada, a Division of which a pan runs down to meet Port Harcourt, appear at one time to have favoured the idea of a Rivers state, but have changed their views and before us expressed themselves as strongly against it. Comparatively few of them live in the low-lying swampy country of the coastal strip and they have voted for the NCNC consistently, they said themselves that a main factor in their change of front had been the inclusion if the Western Ijaws in the proposed state. So long, they said, as the Rivers state was to consist of the River Province only, the Ibos would have been the most numerous tribe within it: but the inclusion of the Western Ijaw Division put them at a numerical disadvantage beside the Ijaws and they therefore preferred to stay out. Whether or not this was a line of reasoning that really had a wide appeal, the fact remain that before us they were opposed to the idea of the state. This is not surprising because their problems are different from those of the ijaws.”
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:54pm On Jun 03, 2015
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 10:57pm On Jun 03, 2015
Now that we have a solid base of the willink report, we can now separate lies from facts and truth.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 11:00pm On Jun 03, 2015
The willink report clearly made it obvious that the cries of Igbo domination by non Igbo groups lacked substance.

They were built on sentiments with no iota of truth in them, just like the cries of Igbo domination by the rest of the country. I am sure real elites of the non Igbo groups of the Eastern region like Kogbara, Prof Eyo Bassey, Ekukinam Bassey, and Opigo knew this, and this was why they pitched their tents with Biafra.

Igbo domination was a myth.

2 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 11:11pm On Jun 03, 2015
[b] “The people of Ahoada, a Division of which a pan runs down to meet Port Harcourt, appear at one time to have favoured the idea of a Rivers state, but have changed their views and before us expressed themselves as strongly against it. Comparatively few of them live in the low-lying swampy country of the coastal strip and they have voted for the NCNC consistently, they said themselves that a main factor in their change of front had been the inclusion if the Western Ijaws in the proposed state. So long, they said, as the Rivers state was to consist of the River Province only, the Ibos would have been the most numerous tribe within it: but the inclusion of the Western Ijaw Division put them at a numerical disadvantage beside the Ijaws and they therefore preferred to stay out. Whether or not this was a line of reasoning that really had a wide appeal, the fact remain that before us they were opposed to the idea of the state. This is not surprising because their problems are different from those of the ijaws.” [/b]
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 11:14pm On Jun 03, 2015
Notice that the Ahoada people, in as much as they feared Igbo domination from the hinterlands, they also will not be a part of Rivers state that will include the Ijaws, for they feared Ijaw domination too.

In other words, they desired a region of their own or rather be left with the hinterlands Igbos in the Eastern region.

The so called COR agitation couldn't have passed through a referendum and stand. The very reason Gowon and Awo had to force it down via a military fiat!
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 11:26pm On Jun 03, 2015
“The Ogoja state proposed to us would
include former Ogoja province, whose
population of slightly more than One
million include more than 700,000 Ibos…
the main intention would be separation
from the central body of Ibo population,
but in which they will still be linked
together with as a minority with their Ibo
neighbours in Abakaliki and Afikpo…A
majority of evidence we heard from Ogoja
was direct that they preferred the present
situation to any association with Calabar
and that they were at least as much afraid
of domination by Efiks and Ibibios as by
Ibos.” 1

Notice, that the Ogoja province prefered to stay in Eastern region than be trapped in a region with the Efik-Ibibio-Annang conglomerate!

But this was exactly what Gowon and Awo did against the Ogoja's. For without their consent, using a military fiat, they placed Ogoja region( Modern day non Efik part of Cross Rivers) with the Efik-Ibibio-Annang conglomerate, in an abomination called South Eastern state!

So, how exactly did Awo and Gowon follow the Willink report?

1 Like

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jun 03, 2015
OkutaNla:
Lol. I'd be concerned and apprehensive about any prospects of a long-term political alliance with Ndigbo if I were in the shoes of your non-igbo neighbors too.

Such fears are not without justification, considering historical precedence and the overly aggressive and arrogant manner with which some militant igbos engender hostility in their relations with some of their neighbors.

Take the whole Lagos "no mans land" issue for example. If the igbos can exhibit the effrontery to lock horns with a major ethnic group like the Yorubas over ownership of Lagos in the Yorubas own region, how much more would they intimidate and dominate their more timid SS neighbors? It's a no-brainer, really.

I'd be seriously apprehensive about Ndigbo domination too if I were your neighbors.

No matter how u twist it, Lagos used to be a Yoruba state. Its no man's land now.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 11:57pm On Jun 03, 2015
Ojukwu and Eastern region leaders took cognizant of the Willink report, while creating Biafran provinces.

In Biafra, the Ahoada, the Ikwerre/Etche/Ogba/, the Ogoja were given provinces of their own, away from the Efik-Ibibio-Annang and Ijaws and hinterland Igbos

The Efik( Calabar province)had a province, like wise Annang( Annang province)and Ibbibio( Uyo province).

Every Biafran group complaint and fears were allayed.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 12:12am On Jun 04, 2015
Now, Gowon could have easily granted the Eastern non Igbo groups their wish by creating all those states they demanded but he didn't, cos appeasing them wasn't his goal, his goal was to divide Biafra and get his hands on the Eastern crude oil, he couldnt get enough of the crude oil, if he created too many states down south. He needed more states up North and as few as possible down south. He was no father Christmas, he came for exploitation, not liberation like some fools thought.

2 Likes

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Mapletraks: 3:21am On Jun 04, 2015
Mapletraks:

@pazienza

In the Guardian of May 27, 1999, Page 7 to Page 8, Chief Harold Dappa-Biriye accused the Ibo

on May 27, 1967!

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 04, 2015
Mapletraks:

@pazienza

on May 27, 1967!

@bolded. Did Mr Harold ever state how he came to know this?

1 Like

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Abagworo(m): 9:17am On Jun 04, 2015
pazienza:
Ojukwu and Eastern region leaders took cognizant of the Willink report, while creating Biafran provinces.

In Biafra, the Ahoada, the Ikwerre/Etche/Ogba/, the Ogoja were given provinces of their own, away from the Efik-Ibibio-Annang and Ijaws and hinterland Igbos

The Efik( Calabar province)had a province, like wise Annang( Annang province)and Ibbibio( Uyo province).

Every Biafran group complaint and fears were allayed.

The issue was mostly words that came out from Igbos on the streets which declared Biafra an Igbo game and made mockery of other people or people with different view. It is not different from the way present day Igbos were all over fb, twitter and Nairaland abusing other Nigerians or even blackmailing their own like Rochas Okorocha. Biafra would have been a success story if well managed. The minorities have better package under Nigeria than under an Igbo dominated country.

1 Like

Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by pazienza(m): 2:35pm On Jun 04, 2015
Abagworo:

The issue was mostly words that came out from Igbos on the streets which declared Biafra an Igbo game and made mockery of other people or people with different view. It is not different from the way present day Igbos were all over fb, twitter and Nairaland abusing other Nigerians or even blackmailing their own like Rochas Okorocha. Biafra would have been a success story if well managed. The minorities have better package under Nigeria than under an Igbo dominated country.

This is another baseless propaganda backed with no fact.

On the contrary, there was a high level of synergy and tolerance between Ndiigbo and her Eastern non Igbo groups, we married off our daughters to them and they married off theirs to us, that wouldn't happen if we mocked them.

No Igbo on the streets made mockery of our non Igbo Easterners, rather we treated them with respect, Adaka Boro was elected the SUG president in UNN, an Igbo dominated university.

You are nothing but an enemy of Igbo progress, trying by all means to paint Ndigbo black.

You should stop pretending to be Igbo, cos you are obviously not one.

The non Igbo groups would have been better of in Biafra. I had given the reasons for this before.
Re: Ndiigbo, Her Non-igbo Eastern Neighbors And The Myth Of Igbo Domination by Ola17: 3:09am On Jun 05, 2015
superstar1:

Revisionist and liar. the Dahomey Amazons NEVER defeated the YORUBA NATION.

Instead, the yoruba nation through the egbas, dealt them eternally blow they never recovered from. That marked the end of their reign in Dahomey.

Can't id10ts like you have a thread, without bringing yorubas into your perennial whining like bush babies. If you want the thread to be derailed, we shall assist you in full measures.

Face your topic and your thread and leave us out of your imbecilic discussion.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Let’s Celebrate Ourselves, Obasanjo Tells Nigerians / [BREAKING] Patience Jonathan Loses Bid To Reclaim Seized $5.9m / JTF Takes Over All Boko-Haram Camps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.