Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,962 members, 7,835,208 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? (7717 Views)

Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan On A Refuse Dump! / Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya / I.G of Police Refuse To Recognize Tambuwal As Speaker. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Feb 18, 2009
It's the Zap.I.N.G internet
I can chose to be angry or calm at anytime. You don't know me and i don't know you. If anyone takes anything too seriously, thats the persons problem not mine
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Fhemmmy: 7:25pm On Feb 18, 2009
A-town:

It's the Zap.I.N.G internet
I can chose to be angry or calm at anytime. You don't know me and i don't know you. If anyone takes anything too seriously, thats the persons problem not mine

This your "F" language isn't necessary.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 18, 2009
It's just a word like every other word being typed.
You're the one giving it so much attention
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by roodest: 7:45pm On Feb 18, 2009
Well, actually yes!, they will refuse, if the price is not right!
wink
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by yoshimitsu(m): 7:52pm On Feb 18, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by kabna(m): 8:41pm On Feb 18, 2009
its in ur nature u nigerians are corrupt well most of u really
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by TOYOSI20(f): 8:56pm On Feb 18, 2009
Hopefully there still some sane ones amongst them who still have their heads on their shoulders!!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Damest09(f): 9:01pm On Feb 18, 2009
--
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by omobaba101(m): 10:00pm On Feb 18, 2009
Yep, we would not be complaining of police collecting bribe if we were not, ourselves, paying them bribe. Sure there are a few honest cops out there but I still believe the only way to stoke this fire is for the people to STOP paying up and accepting the consequence instead.

Really easy to be said than done, do you really like you life taken for refusal to part with a note? Driving on Nigerian could be very dangerous sometimes. I drive through the country a lot and let me add another dimension that these guys are not just asking for money to pervert judgment about your car papers; they ask because they think you should just give them - If you ask me this is not BRIBE, but EXTORTION. May I ask - will you 'BRIBE' an armed robber when he asks for your be longing or you will release it 'QUICKLY' in order to save your life. A word is enough for the wise - DEAL WITH NIGERIAN POLICE WITH WISDOM - KNOW WHEN TO TALK AND WHEN NOT TO SAY A WORD BUT TO OBEY
!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by omobaba101(m): 10:06pm On Feb 18, 2009
Yep, we would not be complaining of police collecting bribe if we were not, ourselves, paying them bribe. Sure there are a few honest cops out there but I still believe the only way to stoke this fire is for the people to STOP paying up and accepting the consequence instead.

[color=#770077]

Really easy to be said than done, do you really like you life taken for refusal to part with a note? Driving on Nigerian could be very dangerous sometimes. I drive through the country a lot and let me add another dimension that these guys are not just asking for money to pervert judgment about your car papers; they ask because they think you should just give them - If you ask me this is not BRIBE, but EXTORTION. May I ask - will you 'BRIBE' an armed robber when he asks for your be longing or you will release it 'QUICKLY' in order to save your life. A word is enough for the wise - DEAL WITH NIGERIAN POLICE WITH WISDOM - KNOW WHEN TO TALK AND WHEN NOT TO SAY A WORD BUT TO OBEY!
[/color]
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 10:10pm On Feb 18, 2009
omobaba101:

Really easy to be said than done, do you really like you life taken for refusal to part with a note? Driving on Nigerian could be very dangerous sometimes. I drive through the country a lot and let me add another dimension that these guys are not just asking for money to pervert judgment about your car papers; they ask because they think you should just give them - If you ask me this is not BRIBE, but EXTORTION.

I have never paid bribe to any policeman in Nigeria. My father has not. My mum does not. We are alive and kicking. Sure, you get bruised in some cases and others you get delayed but there are thousands out there who choose not to bribe and accept the consequence and they are human beings with blood flowing through their veins like you and I. It is not impossible; it is done daily across that same country. There are many who have paid bribe and still gotten killed or beaten up for not paying enough. Can we please dispense with the FEAR mongering and start seeing the policemen who what they really are?

omobaba101:

May I ask - will you 'BRIBE' an armed robber when he asks for your be longing or you will release it 'QUICKLY' in order to save your life. A word is enough for the wise - DEAL WITH NIGERIAN POLICE WITH WISDOM - KNOW WHEN TO TALK AND WHEN NOT TO SAY A WORD BUT TO OBEY
!

Why would I need to bribe an armed robber who is ROBBING ME? Seems every tom dick and harry has a story of how we should all FEAR Olopa, but at the end of the day, we agree that not all Olopa kill because of bribe. Can’t we see what we are doing to our own selves here?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 10:12pm On Feb 18, 2009
omobaba101:

[color=#770077]

Really easy to be said than done, do you really like you life taken for refusal to part with a note? Driving on Nigerian could be very dangerous sometimes. I drive through the country a lot and let me add another dimension that these guys are not just asking for money to pervert judgment about your car papers; they ask because they think you should just give them - If you ask me this is not BRIBE, but EXTORTION. May I ask - will you 'BRIBE' an armed robber when he asks for your be longing or you will release it 'QUICKLY' in order to save your life. A word is enough for the wise - DEAL WITH NIGERIAN POLICE WITH WISDOM - KNOW WHEN TO TALK AND WHEN NOT TO SAY A WORD BUT TO OBEY!
[/color]

It is not easier said than done. TRY IT before you POOPOO the idea. Make sure you have your papers intact and all together and then try it and see how much right you can actually enjoy even right there in Nigeria. We like to blame government and police for every thing bad but we never realize that we fuel the situation by continuing to choose to break the law ourselves.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by zx(m): 12:35am On Feb 19, 2009
There are still a few good Officers inthe Nigeria Police, yes there are some who will refuse your Bribe
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by toosoon(m): 2:41am On Feb 19, 2009
I will not stop offering them bribe if they ask for it, not until we start using CCTV effectively. I am not scared to die an innocent death if i refuse to offer bribe, but i would want justice to prevail on my killer. A word is enuf for the wise.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 2:42am On Feb 19, 2009
too_soon:

I will not stop offering them bribe if they ask for it, not until we start using CCTV effectively. I am not scared to die an innocent death if i refuse to offer bribe, but i would want justice to prevail on my killer. A word is enuf for the wise.

So the fact that you COMMIT a crime by giving BRIBE should be put aside? You really think you are victim here?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 3:35am On Feb 19, 2009
What the f.uck is your problem. Are you a f.ucking retard or something. I hate when people like you try to act smart without asking for full details before misyarning. F.UCKING idiot. I usually don't get angry but i am willing to unleash my anger on you for such a retarded comment.

In the states, the officer would have asked me for my license number and i would have told him. He can also use my S.S.N to find out if i have any warrants. If he's not satisfied, he would issue me a citation and FUCKING LET ME GO. I would get home, get my license, go to the court and clear out my citation. Naija has no court for you to go to. Did you expect the officer to hold me when i said my license was at home. The right thing to do is let me go or give me a fine (which is non existent and has been taken over by bribes). There is no verification system in naija.

For the second scenario, i little bit of patience would have shown you that i was just back in the country at the time. Did you expect me to show my U.S drivers license so that they can milk me for my entire life savings. It only costs 5000 naira to get a license. Do you think it is possible for anyone to be driving for 10 yrs in naija without getting a licence. You are an idiot. Why would i risk police harrassment for 10yrs. Stop trying to pick on words and focus on the main issue. If i had removed the statement about my licence expiring, it won't have changed my point so get lost and go F.UCK yourself

I steal woman from you? shocked
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by talk2keke: 6:28am On Feb 19, 2009
Police will refuse bribe if civilians can comport themselves and do the right thing @ d right time.But becareful with policeman with riffle!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by liblues(f): 8:28am On Feb 19, 2009
"A Senator collects #2,480,000 as basic monthly salary and still demands for Ghana -Must-Go, is it the policeman that collects #26,000 as monthly salary that will fight corruption?."
its true,salary paid to policemen are not even enough to feed not to talk of paying school fees.so bride are a kind of way to support themselves.
to top it civilians are too afraid to face the law
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 8:57am On Feb 19, 2009
nuzo:

I steal woman from you? shocked

Yeye guy. Y didn't you reply on time. I don cool down juh. And yes, you stole my woman ohhhhhhhh.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by shakira: 9:03am On Feb 19, 2009
y the hostile statements Atown?is it necessary?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 9:06am On Feb 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I have never paid bribe to any policeman in Nigeria. My father has not. My mum does not. We are alive and kicking. Sure, you get bruised in some cases and others you get delayed but there are thousands out there who choose not to bribe and accept the consequence and they are human beings with blood flowing through their veins like you and I. It is not impossible; it is done daily across that same country. There are many who have paid bribe and still gotten killed or beaten up for not paying enough. Can we please dispense with the FEAR mongering and start seeing the policemen who what they really are?

Why would I need to bribe an armed robber who is ROBBING ME? Seems every tom privates and harry has a story of how we should all FEAR Olopa, but at the end of the day, we agree that not all Olopa kill because of bribe. Can’t we see what we are doing to our own selves here?

My guy, it depends on how often/the places you drive to in Lagos.
Guess you didn't drive that much when you were in lagos.
Check this out. I'm driving on a route and all of a sudden a police office jumps in front of my ride. They force me to pull over and get into my car. They tell me that i am on a "one way" road. I screamed and said where the hell is the sign. They take me back and lord behold i see a small sign with the "no entry" sign. I could have sworn they intentionally used the trees to cover the sign and then released it when they brought me back to look at it. They said they would confiscate my car and take it to their station or i pay up.
Since you claim you've never paid bribe, i'm guessing you would have allowed them to take the car to their station?
While i didn't see the sign (which they intentionaly make inconspicous in order to catch people) the fact is that i was guilty of using a "one way".
I paid up and left the scene. Do you know what happens to your vehicle if it gets to their station? Trust me you would rather pay them than having to go to their station for one week or more to release your car (funny thing is that, they would f.uck up your car at their garage).

Even Pastors pay up in naija men. If you drive frequently, you will have to pay some time.
THE POLICE INTENTIONALLY LET YOU DISOBEY TRAFFIC SO THEY CAN EXPLOIT YOU.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 9:10am On Feb 19, 2009
shakira:

y the hostile statements Atown?is it necessary?

You should have posted this yesterday. I don born again for today. Make una leave me alone juh
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by kcbaba(m): 9:15am On Feb 19, 2009
if nigerian men Keep to their Rules and Regulations by having all the necessary documents in thier vehicle, it will be a corruption for them to pay bribe or receive bribe.
pls dont give and dont receive be a patriotic nigerian
kingsley say so
dont be afraid of police be careful of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by shakira: 9:19am On Feb 19, 2009
A-town:

You should have posted this yesterday. I don born again for today. Make una leave me alone juh
unfortunate.damn,I missed then.where was I yesterday?well star01 is back yo
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 19, 2009
kcbaba:

if nigerian men Keep to their Rules and Regulations by having all the necessary documents in thier vehicle, it will be a corruption for them to pay bribe or receive bribe.
pls dont give and dont receive be a patriotic nigerian
kingsley say so
dont be afraid of police be careful of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you guys drive in lagos at all. 95% of drivers have their papers. It only takes 3 days to get a 5000 naira licences now sef.
Its not about papers alone. The police will use anything to get you. If you have all your papers, they'll ask for fire extinguishers. Even with the papers sef, they'll start asking you for shit like eot, mot, customs. The day i heard eot, i was like "get the f out of here, oga you made that one up na"
They try to get you on all sorts of frivolous claims. The thing is that most people know their rights but why would you argue with a policeman for 2hrs when you can pay up and leave.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by jamace(m): 9:35am On Feb 19, 2009
Blame our leaders who have fallen short of dignity in service. I f our leaders change for good , who is that policeman that will not change for good?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by toosoon(m): 9:39am On Feb 19, 2009
A-town:

My guy, it depends on how often/the places you drive to in Lagos.
Guess you didn't drive that much when you were in lagos.
Check this out. I'm driving on a route and all of a sudden a police office jumps in front of my ride. They force me to pull over and get into my car. They tell me that i am on a "one way" road. I screamed and said where the hell is the sign. They take me back and lord behold i see a small sign with the "no entry" sign. I could have sworn they intentionally used the trees to cover the sign and then released it when they brought me back to look at it. They said they would confiscate my car and take it to their station or i pay up.
Since you claim you've never paid bribe, i'm guessing you would have allowed them to take the car to their station?
While i didn't see the sign (which they intentionaly make inconspicous in order to catch people) the fact is that i was guilty of using a "one way".
I paid up and left the scene. Do you know what happens to your vehicle if it gets to their station? Trust me you would rather pay them than having to go to their station for one week or more to release your car (funny thing is that, they would f.uck up your car at their garage).

Even Pastors pay up in naija men. If you drive frequently, you will have to pay some time.
THE POLICE INTENTIONALLY LET YOU DISOBEY TRAFFIC SO THEY CAN EXPLOIT YOU.

quote author=Kobojunkie link=topic=235146.msg3485414#msg3485414 date=1234991448]

Why would I need to bribe an armed robber who is ROBBING ME? Seems every tom privates and harry has a story of how we should all FEAR Olopa, but at the end of the day, we agree that not all Olopa kill because of bribe. Can’t we see what we are doing to our own selves here?

[quote][/quote]

If you have bribe Nigeria police before, that means you are not a frequent driver or you are still in Driving School. If i may ask, what about your lecturers have you bribe any before? Nobody Holy pass my brother,
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Maykelly(f): 10:32am On Feb 19, 2009
hw can they survive without it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by AMT: 11:07am On Feb 19, 2009
No!!! I think policemen see bribes as the profit resulting from a business transaction.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by AMT: 11:12am On Feb 19, 2009
A-town, This your "F" word sef na wa oh! Are you a Policeman? grin grin grin
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by dexmond: 12:21pm On Feb 19, 2009
I have heard of bizzare encounters with the nigerian police. Infact, the institution is demonic . Please don't be angry that I spoke this way, it is borne out of experience.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by ladej(m): 1:19pm On Feb 19, 2009
all you people fighting this issue should just shut up, zip it and throw it away until common sense prevails again.
it is evidently a root cause problem and no one is exempt, from the president to the hawker on the street. most people are corrupt in nigeria. if you say politicians are corrupt i agree. if you say policemen are corrupt, i agree. if you say the citizens who want to cut corners are corrupt, i agree. its not worth fighting or exchanging words about. what should be discussed it how to improve the situation. now only Government with leaders with vision can do this. we as individuals can vent out and voice out and hope that government does something about it. as individuals we also have to change our thinking. i really dont blame the policeman as he has to feed his family. thats not to say that bribery and corruption is right. but if the government trained them right, fed them right, paid them right, valued them right we wont be having this conversation at all. the government is clearly not interested and i hope they do one day. because they are public servants paid by the government, only government can efforce that change as they are the largest salary payers in nigeria. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG In Talks With Boko Haram- Presidency / Dangote To Build N300bn Fertilizer Plant In Edo / A Die Hard Buhari Supporter Who Can No Longer Defend Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.