Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,726 members, 7,831,303 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? (7707 Views)

Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan On A Refuse Dump! / Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya / I.G of Police Refuse To Recognize Tambuwal As Speaker. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by youngies(m): 9:30am On Feb 20, 2009
Jesarmy:

@poster,
You dont have to regret it,you did the right and should be proud of yourself! smiley
You ought to get your money back plus compensation for unlawful arrest and detention,emotional stress and hourly wages lost.
If you can afford it get a lawyer and sue them or may be we can get lawyers on the forum who can take this type of cases and offer pro bono services

Thanks for the compliment cool But sorry to disappoint you, I am not likely to heed your advice. The way you sound one will think that you are talking about the NYPD or the Scotland Yard.

We all need to understand that the Nigerian Police is a colonial police and is still backed by colonial laws which the ultimate aim is to suppress and oppress the conquered people. Not until you get to court you will be made to understand that there is a Police Oder Act that is against LOITERING.

As for the 'Spy gadgets', lets keep it simple, about 5 million Nigerians have access to cam phones, we all could put them to use, I am already putting mine to great use. Thank you
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 10:26am On Feb 20, 2009
@Kobojunkie and Jesarmy

You guys really need to stop. There's corruption everywhere (U.S.A included). It's just limited. To expect that bribery and corruption in Nigeria will be reduced by refusing to pay officers is ludacris.
Mind you, most people don't offer bribes for these officers. . . THEY DEMAND IT. They are out there to get you. You would have a point if most people go around without papers and offer bribes, or use one way roads and offer bribes to get away. Those are the ones you need to be addressing.
Check out another scenario.

Do you know that LASTMA and police officer have several gimmicks used to make money off people :
Do you know that the LASTMA guy (somewhere at the allen roundabout in ikeja) would stylishly wave that you should pass and suddenly stop you. In a split second, an officer would approach you and tell you that you disobeyed a traffic official (no one should start any argument about this because a relative of the officer confirmed it). The next thing they'll tell you is that you have to pay up or go to their office. The legal fine in lagos for disobeying a traffic official in lagos is N150, 000 plus a trip to the psychiatric hospital as well as your 3yr tax clearance. Would you agree to pay the official or go to their station to prove that you are not guilty?
Please don't tell me you'll go to the station because thats a blatant lie. You'll end up paying 150,000 plus time wasted for committing no offence?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by emmaigwe: 2:36pm On Feb 20, 2009
You knew that your papers were okay based on what the police man later said, yet You and Okey maybe out of desperation decided to offer the policeman a bribe.You can see you're your own worst enemy.You can see that intelligent, honest and GOD fearing policemen and women still exists in this nation.This is one of thousands of them who are there to defend the integrity of this nation which they swear to uphold.

http://www.netdailynews..com
         http://www.hungersformoney..com
         http://www.samsungprod..com
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On Feb 20, 2009
A-town:

@Kobojunkie and Jesarmy

You guys really need to stop. There's corruption everywhere (U.S.A included). It's just limited. To expect that bribery and corruption in Nigeria will be reduced by refusing to pay officers is ludacris.
Mind you, most people don't offer bribes for these officers. . . THEY DEMAND IT. They are out there to get you. You would have a point if most people go around without papers and offer bribes, or use one way roads and offer bribes to get away. Those are the ones you need to be addressing.
Check out another scenario.

Do you know that LASTMA and police officer have several gimmicks used to make money off people :
Do you know that the LASTMA guy (somewhere at the allen roundabout in ikeja) would stylishly wave that you should pass and suddenly stop you. In a split second, an officer would approach you and tell you that you disobeyed a traffic official (no one should start any argument about this because a relative of the officer confirmed it). The next thing they'll tell you is that you have to pay up or go to their office. The legal fine in lagos for disobeying a traffic official in lagos is N150, 000 plus a trip to the psychiatric hospital as well as your 3yr tax clearance. Would you agree to pay the official or go to their station to prove that you are not guilty?
Please don't tell me you'll go to the station because thats a blatant lie. You'll end up paying 150,000 plus time wasted for committing no offence?

I am sure somewhere to you all those excuses make sense, but here is a challenge. Instead of offering us more silly excuses for why it will not work. DO it and then we can, after all of us have tried it, find out if it will work or not.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by londoner: 10:32pm On Feb 20, 2009
I dont know about police not accepting or demanding a bribe in Nigeria. It seems as rampant as citizens who use it for an easier life. I have heard that some task force members are not so easily bribed though. My mother was on a bus in Abuja which was overloaded with passangers. When they were stopped by the task force, the driver said to her they were not easily bribed like the police are, instead they emptied the bus of people and gave the driver a lecture about how he was in the wrong for driving in such an unsafe manner. My mum witnessed that, so at least that is one instance of someone just doing their job rather than soliciting a bribe.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by chyk91(m): 3:55am On Feb 21, 2009
@ poster
ur english na wa o
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I am sure somewhere to you all those excuses make sense, but here is a challenge. Instead of offering us more silly excuses for why it will not work. DO it and then we can, after all of us have tried it, find out if it will work or not.

You missed the point. I am not an advocate of bribery and corruption. Of course it will be reduced if everyone tries to reduce their level of participation. The thing i have against you is trying to make it seem easy and ideal. I personally hate the Nigeria Police. Sometimes, you really don't have a choice but to bow to pressure from them.
If you live in lagos and drive daily (i mean drive through the main areas in lagos), at one time or the other, you will have to pay them.
There's no single time i've been back home that i haven't had to pay them. I don't want to but i usually have no choice. I'd rather pay them than have them drag my car to their station where it'll be damaged and i'd still have to pay for it to be released.
Due process is not really due process in a developing nation. If you claim to know your right you'll end up paying so much time and resources. At the end of the day you'll wonder why u didn't just pay them and leave.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by hackney(m): 5:26pm On Feb 21, 2009
As with every other thing nigerian ,this one also has no solution: pay the police well and they will not want to even attempt to deter robbers.(try paying any nigerian near full before he does the job and see what happens)
Pay them inadequately and they will shoot dead innocent commuters and parade them on live telly with ammulet decorations claiming that they are ferocious armed gang leaders.
The police bribery situation (i imagine) must have been initiated by policemen.
Like i said the problem with nigeria is Nigerians!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Feb 21, 2009
@A-Town, Can you please tell me that you believe being kicked out of 3rd year medical school as a result of refusing to pay Naira 12K bribe, after studying so hard all your life, is easy? You mean having to loose out on a great job opportunity because you were delayed by policemen who felt they deserved to get bribe from you, is easy? You believe that getting stabbed in the back by your own friends who you thought were with you on standing up against the corrupt, is easy? I really do not know how you can read my posts AS IS and still come back to spout what you just did? PLease STOP feeding me ridiculous come backs already. If you want change, be willing to change yourself, else you will only keep getting what you deserve. That happens to be the fate of Nigerians in Nigeria today.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by xpagnol: 11:16pm On Feb 21, 2009
kobojunkie i have always respected your views in this forum
but am quite disapponted with your opinions on this obvious matter .

how about the police seasons, i mean the festive seasons when they go hunting
on the streets for any ablebodied civilian and carry them to the station just to extort money
from you. illegal and suspicious wandering so they call it. my brother am a witness,there was no big officer around
we were totally at their mercy. the next day was a public holi. my guy when they, i mean their full squad caught up with you ,my guy no mercy.

there are few good ones ,but how many of them to create the positive change we are talking about. abro forget naija oooooo
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 11:40pm On Feb 21, 2009
xpagnol:

kobojunkie i have always respected your views in this forum
but am quite disapponted with your opinions on this obvious matter .

how about the police seasons, i mean the festive seasons when they go hunting
on the streets for any ablebodied civilian and carry them to the station just to extort money
from you. illegal and suspicious wandering so they call it. my brother am a witness,there was no big officer around
we were totally at their mercy. the next day was a public holi. my guy when they, i mean their full squad caught up with you ,my guy no mercy.

there are few good ones ,but how many of them to create the positive change we are talking about. abro forget naija oooooo

May God help us all to drop the utterly ridiculous ramblings, and excuses, so we can actually step up like men with balls and brains for the sake of our children and their future!! AMEN!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@A-Town, Can you please tell me that you believe being kicked out of 3rd year medical school as a result of refusing to pay Naira 12K bribe, after studying so hard all your life, is easy? You mean having to loose out on a great job opportunity because you were delayed by policemen who felt they deserved to get bribe from you, is easy? You believe that getting stabbed in the back by your own friends who you thought were with you on standing up against the corrupt, is easy? I really do not know how you can read my posts AS IS and still come back to spout what you just did? PLease STOP feeding me ridiculous come backs already. If you want change, be willing to change yourself, else you will only keep getting what you deserve. That happens to be the fate of Nigerians in Nigeria today.

I really don't care about what happened to you in medical school or your life story. The topic is about policemen receiving bribes. You stated that you have never given any policeman bribes of any sort. Thats y i have given examples why a lot of people have to pay bribes to officers everyday in lagos. I don't care about your medical school story.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Feb 22, 2009
A-town:

I really don't care about what happened to you in medical school or your life story. The topic is about policemen receiving bribes. You stated that you have never given any policeman bribes of any sort. Thats y i have given examples why a lot of people have to pay bribes to officers everyday in lagos. I don't care about your medical school story.

Interested!! Nevermind that I reported to the police and was told I had to pay something to have my case against the lecturers looked into, it is of no mind? Never mind that  I have been had police request bribe from me on so many occassions as many can claim but have refused and have had to be taken to the station to fill out mounds of papers and pay "LEGAL" fees for one ridiculous reason or the other, but instead chose to stand my ground no matter what? Keep the excuses coming!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by axeprince(m): 1:44pm On Feb 24, 2009
Oh Well, I dear say we still have those that won't collect bribes, @ least I know 2 of them, 1 in Abuja and another in Bauchi, but truth be told, that's a small number, there is still hope for 9ja sha
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by YD(m): 2:13pm On Feb 24, 2009
collecting bribe is a personal thing. depending on your principles. i have seen a lagos mobile policeman fervently preaching in the bus before shocked So dont just write all of these guys off
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On Feb 24, 2009
YD:

collecting bribe is a personal thing. depending on your principles. i have seen a lagos mobile policeman fervently preaching in the bus before shocked So dont just write all of these guys off

Now that is creepy stuff!!! lol
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Jesarmy(f): 1:57am On Feb 25, 2009
If people continue to do things the way it has always been done and expect a different result,then it is a big joke,if the status quo is not challenged and steps taken in the right direction to initiate change,what hope and legacy is there for Nigeria?
Truth is standing for what is right has never been easy,it costs you and at times it costs you very dearly but the joy and fulfillment of doing what is right should far outweigh the cost.

Pathetically it seems the average Nigerian mentality is about me,myself and I,as long as people can find a way to settle themselves be it legally or illegally,no one cares about the system or give any serious thought to what contribution or sacrifice they can make to make their community a better place.

Like I said earlier we have a choice we can let the status quo remain or we begin to search for ways in which we can contribute individually and cooperatively by raising up a group of covert security operatives to combat this evil,the cell phone camcorder is a good device,let us start putting it to use and see what will happen when millions of clips of illegal police acts begin to saturate the media waves locally and internationally.

Finally for those of us that believe in God,let us continue to pray for the healing of the nation while we also take proactive steps.God said in his word"If my people who are called by name shall humble themselves and call upon me then I will heal their land". My 2cents.
Cheers and God Bless,
Jesarmy
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by jamace(m): 5:08am On Feb 25, 2009
Those crucifying the police for taking bribe should go to the national assembly and tell those looters there to stop looting first. angry . De thing wey papa de do, pickin de see am. sad
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by ayoola22: 12:29pm On Mar 06, 2009
According to Jamace, since politicians are looting, Police and the rest of us can continue collecting bribe and stealing,

That is really a funny idea.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Cenk: 10:26am On Mar 09, 2009
That name "police" with that "black & black" uniform is something else. Not all the police are bad eggs, there are still the good one's among them. In every 12 appostles there most be a judas. Lets not crusified them because govt has a part to play in this issue. All of us know's that police salary is not what we can write home about, govt have to do something about that to minimize the risk of threat in our society and also in our road. A lot had happen in the past about the police & bribe. The word accidental discharge is a phrase that has know dictionary meaning. So many family had lost their dear ones because of this phrase. So lets join hands in the fight of these, not critisizing, because if we are to be on there shoes we will do more than that.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Cenk: 10:28am On Mar 09, 2009
That name "police" with that "black & black" uniform is something else. Not all the police are bad eggs, there are still the good one's among them. In every 12 appostles there most be a judas. Lets not crusified them because govt has a part to play in this issue. All of us know's that police salary is not what we can write home about, govt have to do something about that to minimize the risk of threat in our society and also in our road. A lot had happen in the past about the police & bribe. The word accidental discharge is a phrase that has know dictionary meaning. So many family had lost their dear ones because of this phrase. So lets join hands in the fight of these, not critisizing, because if we are to be on there shoes we will do more than that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians Mark Awolowo’s Posthumous Birthday / Hadiza Abubakar Breaks Fast With IDPs / See Pictures Of The Police Men Killed By ESN In Orji River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.