Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,360 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? (7709 Views)

Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan On A Refuse Dump! / Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya / I.G of Police Refuse To Recognize Tambuwal As Speaker. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Feb 19, 2009
Fact is that the average policeman in Nigeria is a criminal in uniform. It has nothing to do with their salary which they knew before they signed up
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 1:47pm On Feb 19, 2009
tensor777:

Fact is that the average policeman in Nigeria is a criminal in uniform. It has nothing to do with theeir salary which they knew before they signed up
O ma she o!!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 1:49pm On Feb 19, 2009
too_soon:

If you have bribe Nigeria police before, that means you are not a frequent driver or you are still in Driving School. If i may ask, what about your lecturers have you bribe any before? Nobody Holy pass my brother,

I am a frequent driver. I even got to know some of the cops along my usual route and they knew I would stand and chat with them for as long as it took but no money for them. As for my lecturers, I was booted out of medical school in my 3rd year as a result of my not being willing to pay bribe to lecturers who refused to score my exam papers. Any more excuses?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by youngies(m): 2:17pm On Feb 19, 2009
I used to be very stubborn with the police and it has been working for me, until the day I was stopped and asked for the receipt for the plate number of my car. I was incensed and refused to path with any 'egunje'.

I was taken to the station, after wasting like 2 hours explaining to the DPO, he ordered that I should be allowed to go. I was shocked when I was asked to pay for "Releasing" the car. I went back to the DPO, he referred me back to IPO and lo and behold he brought out an official form that must fill before any car could be allowed to leave the police premises and it attracts a fee of N1,500.

At that point I guess it was penny wise pound foolish!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 2:25pm On Feb 19, 2009
Well, penny wise, pound foolish. Never mind that you committed a crime by choosing to pay bribe instead?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Jesarmy(f): 2:28pm On Feb 19, 2009
How do we as a people come up with a solution and force the govt to do what is right?Enough of admiring the problems,let us come with practical ways of sanitising Naija.
What are the media houses doing in Nigeria?What can we do as individuals? as families?and as communities?religious entities?e.t.c
A police trying to take bribe in the U.S would make the headlines on Good Morning America the following day and for all you know the sunglasses that guy behind the wheels is wearing or the pen on that guy's shirt or the decorative piece on the dashboard may be a camcorder recording every bit of the transaction.In a nutshell the citizenry themselves have devised ways of protecting themselves by having solid evidences.
The truth is until we see the problem as real evil and have a individual heart committment to fight it in whatever little way we can,the problem will persist.
Some food for thought:
What will happen if every member of a family decides they would not give bribes ,A church community decides not to give bribes,the people in a specified area commit not to give bribes,commutters/drivers begin to wear covert security devices such as pencorders,glasses e.t.c to record illegal activities on our roads and send them to our media houses for publicity?
I believe strongly Nigerians are very intelligent people,please let us direct our God given potentials to fostering solutions to these problems instead of engaging each other in war of words.I look forward to more ideas of what can be done to salvage our dear country.
Shalom,
Jesarmy
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Usmania(m): 2:41pm On Feb 19, 2009
I expected in thsi era of Rule of Law the police authorities would do some thing on the bribe issue either by set up a task force or by resanitazing the force with effect training, value reorientation, refresher courses in their training institutions. In fact there is the need for general repositioning of the force to go with ever developing trend in todays world,

Thank God with this new e-payment issue police authorities/Management Sharp-Sharp, Cut-cut would be remove once and for all, Thank You Mr President and his Economic Team especially the Accountant General the police ( junior officer)  are greatful for invasions/ideas keep it off.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by youngies(m): 2:43pm On Feb 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Well, penny wise, pound foolish. Never mind that you committed a crime by choosing to pay bribe instead?
Kobo what will I have done in this instance? I didn't choose to pay a bribe, I was rather forced, coerced, conned, intimidated to paying for the release of my car which a receipt was issued.  

And which crime were you referring to here that I committed?  
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 2:52pm On Feb 19, 2009
youngies:

Kobo what will I have done in this instance? I didn't choose to pay a bribe, I was rather forced, coerced, conned, intimidated to paying for the release of my car which a receipt was issued. 

And which crime were you referring to here that I committed? 

Bribery is a crime, even in Nigeria!! I know we do not automatically think that way in Nigeria but it is. You heard about the case of the illinois governor, right? He simply asked that he be bribed and now he is out of office.

I am not in anyway saying that you should do what you don't want to do but if we really need change, we ought to be willing to suffer a little to see change.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Sauron1: 2:56pm On Feb 19, 2009
tensor777:

Fact is that the average policeman in Nigeria is a criminal in uniform. It has nothing to do with theeir salary which they knew before they signed up

Then it should have occured to you that many of them signed up because of the incentives the bribery and corruption brings to the party.
Monthly salary plus tonnes of money they make from dodgy citizens, illegal arrest, dodgy transactions and seizure of goods.
There was a time policemen in Lagos were seizing fuel in jerrycans/kegs and they sell it and take the proceeds home without question.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by youngies(m): 2:59pm On Feb 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Bribery is a crime, even in Nigeria!! I know we do not automatically think that way in Nigeria but it is. You heard about the case of the illinois governor, right? He simply asked that he be bribed and now he is out of office.

I am not in anyway saying that you should do what you don't want to do but if we really need change, we ought to be willing to suffer a little to see change.

You missed the point. Obviously I know bribery is a crime and that was why I refused to succumb to it when I was asked to offer it for not showing them the reciept for the purchase of my vehicle plate number, so I ask you again at what stage did I offer bribe?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 3:03pm On Feb 19, 2009
youngies:

You missed the point. Obviously I know bribery is a crime and that was why I refused to succumb to it when I was asked to offer it for not showing them the reciept for the purchase of my vehicle plate number, so I ask you again at what stage did I offer bribe?

I think you are the one missing the point here. You said you were offered an official paper, right? But at that point you decided paying the bribe was the more correct thing to do at that point, right? Basically, that you paid the bribe at all is still wrong. Simple!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by youngies(m): 3:09pm On Feb 19, 2009
I suggest you get hold of your reading lenses. For the avoidance of doubt this was what I said:

I used to be very stubborn with the police and it has been working for me, until the day I was stopped and asked for the receipt for the plate number of my car. I was incensed and refused to path with any 'egunje'.

I was taken to the station, after wasting like 2 hours explaining to the DPO, he ordered that I should be allowed to go. I was shocked when I was asked to pay for "Releasing" the car. I went back to the DPO, he referred me back to IPO and lo and behold he brought out an official form that must fill before any car could be allowed to leave the police premises and it attracts a fee of N1,500.

At that point I guess it was penny wise pound foolish!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 3:15pm On Feb 19, 2009
youngies:

I suggest you get hold of your reading lenses. For the avoidance of doubt this was what I said:

That does not explain anything. Did you or did you not pay bribe? Simple YES OR NO will suffice !
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by youngies(m): 3:18pm On Feb 19, 2009
For the records I did not, but I regretted not paying it.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by toosoon(m): 3:23pm On Feb 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I am a frequent driver. I even got to know some of the cops along my usual route and they knew I would stand and chat with them for as long as it took but no money for them. As for my lecturers, I was booted out of medical school in my 3rd year as a result of my not being willing to pay bribe to lecturers who refused to score my exam papers. Any more excuses?

Imao, no moregrin grin grin
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by ausbones(m): 3:28pm On Feb 19, 2009
In my Opinion a nigerian Police can refuse bride. An average nigerian police man is a a typical nigerian. the police force reflects the maral decadeness in the society. If some people can stand out in their various feilds and stand for the truth then a police man can. but the problem here is when his superiors are bad which is the situation in many cases its almost impossible but it possible.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 4:10pm On Feb 19, 2009
youngies:

Ok,  I apologise!. When you said pennywise pound foolish, I thought that meant you paid. I am glad there are people like you out there. I am hopeful that with more, we can rid ourselves of this scurge that plagues our society, as quickly as possible!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 4:13pm On Feb 19, 2009
too_soon:

Imao, no moregrin grin grin

You have not heard the worst. My own uncle, who happened to be a member of faculty at the time, took the side of the lecturers and told me to pay up and stop being stubborn and pay up! I hope I never meet that man but I am doing better than all those who I know paid and are now either doctors or struggling to make ends meet in Nigeria. Some of them are abroad and still not doing as good. grin
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by mustafar1: 4:21pm On Feb 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You have not heard the worst. [size=18pt]My own uncle, who happened to be a member of faculty at the time, took the side of the lecturers and told me to pay up and stop being stubborn and pay up[/size]! I hope I never meet that man but I am doing better than all those who I know paid and are now either doctors or struggling to make ends meet in Nigeria. Some of them are abroad and still not doing as good. grin

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by ayobase(m): 4:45pm On Feb 19, 2009
most of these people are
uneducated, so hat do u expect?

U can also try it,
extorting N20 from each person
that passes ur way everyday.

How are u gonna stop.when no one to attack
or sue you.

And take this,many of them are sent by
thier ogas them!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by dgreatrock(m): 4:51pm On Feb 19, 2009
Yes, that is when the leopard has changed its skin.
lol
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by toosoon(m): 4:53pm On Feb 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You have not heard the worst. My own uncle, who happened to be a member of faculty at the time, took the side of the lecturers and told me to pay up and stop being stubborn and pay up! I hope I never meet that man but I am doing better than all those who I know paid and are now either doctors or struggling to make ends meet in Nigeria. Some of them are abroad and still not doing as good. grin

which planet are you from
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2009
too_soon:

which planet are you from
The same Nigeria you are from!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Jesarmy(f): 5:21pm On Feb 19, 2009
youngies:

@poster,
You dont have to regret it,you did the right thing and should be proud of yourself! smiley
You ought to get your money back plus compensation for unlawful arrest and detention,emotional stress and hourly wages lost.
If you can afford it get a lawyer and sue them or may be we can get lawyers on the forum who can take this type of cases and offer pro bono services.

@all,
Let's try wearing one of this covert devices(pictures displayed below),record these nefarious acts live,post  them on  youtube and other media houses for the whole world to see,cite the name of the police officer and police station involved .
Fact:We need hard evidences so that it is not just one man's word against another.

Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Feb 19, 2009
Jesarmy:

@all,
Let's try wearing one of this covert devices(pictures displayed below),record these nefarious acts live,post them on youtube and other media houses for the whole world to see,cite the name of the police officer and police station involved .
Fact:We need hard evidences so that it is not just one man's word against another.

I am for that. we need to work to record the names and faces so that when we do start seeing change, we can make sure that these men pay for their crimes against us.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Fhemmmy: 6:09pm On Feb 19, 2009
So after all these "Inspector Gadgets' recording, what is next, you post it in the newspaper, online, youtube and all that, what what will follow?
The people in power in Nigeria dont give a damn, dont even have access to online resources and those that does, dont care, they are busy thinking of how to steal more money.
Will be a good watch on You tube sha.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Feb 19, 2009
Fhemmmy:

So after all these "Inspector Gadgets' recording, what is next, you post it in the newspaper, online, youtube and all that, what what will follow?
The people in power in Nigeria dont give a damn, dont even have access to online resources and those that does, dont care, they are busy thinking of how to steal more money.

It is not about them but more about us!!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Fhemmmy: 6:15pm On Feb 19, 2009
ok then.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Jesarmy(f): 8:20pm On Feb 19, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I agree, the people in power may not care but albeit a few of them might.Anyway we have a choice we can let things continue as it is or take actions and begin to challenge the status quo.The truth is "youths" are powerful change agents and if their efforts are well coordinated they can bring out unprecendented changes,who would have imagined that a black man would become the president of America.
Let us take a cue from that,the first enemy to overcome is a negative belief system,let us believe that positive changes can happen in Nigeria and let us begin to proffer ways of making it happen.
To your question proper :Once there are sizeable no of video clips -many things can happen from there locally- nollywood can be approached to produce movies and distributed to households nationwide,this should be their contribution to moving the nation forward -how would the thief in uniform feel when they go to their family house and they are confronted with the movie of their evil acts or when their kids come home everyday taunted by other kids because of their evil acts,we only need a few scapegoats that would serve as a deterrent to others.
There are still many way forward(coming soon).
Meanwhile be a positive change agent come up with ideas on how we can move the nation forwad. smiley
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Fhemmmy: 8:34pm On Feb 19, 2009
Jesarmy:

I agree, the people in power may not care but albeit a few of them might.Anyway we have a choice we can let things continue as it is or take actions and begin to challenge the status quo.The truth is "youths" are powerful change agents and if their efforts are well coordinated they can bring out unprecendented changes,who would have imagined that a black man would become the president of America.
Let us take a cue from that,the first enemy to overcome is a negative belief system,let us believe that positive changes can happen in Nigeria and let us begin to proffer ways of making it happen.
To your question proper :Once there are sizeable no of video clips -many things can happen from there locally- nollywood can be approached to produce movies and distributed to households nationwide,this should be their contribution to moving the nation forward -how would the thief in uniform feel when they go to their family house and they are confronted with the movie of their evil acts or when their kids come home everyday taunted by other kids because of their evil acts,we only need a few scapegoats that would serve as a deterrent to others.
There are still many way forward(coming soon).
Meanwhile be a positive change agent come up with ideas on how we can move the nation forwad. smiley

I would love to see all these on the National Dailies, on the National News and even on CNN, but is our leaders that serious about getting rid of the bribery, when most of the money being made are shared at Night?
If there is a TV station that will carry some Minute of Commercial on a daily basis, backed by some good lawyer that will be willing to take on the yeye olopas, then, we have a deal.
We can even have a lil 30 Min show where we expose all these yeye people on a weekly basis, but be rest assured that the day they know who is behind the program, that will be the end, or they will start jialing everyone that have gadget on them, lol.
Anyhow, i will love to see the day, these shameful "he-goats" will be exposed.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by ayoola22: 7:18am On Feb 20, 2009
The funniest thing was that a few weeks ago the police minister was telling us police are performing beyond expectation.

http://naijareports..com/2009/02/police-are-performing-beyond.html

Next week i might tell you some of my experience with them both personally and in official capacity,

Like how do police collect money for bail without breaking the law, do you know the most expensive files are bought in the police station and what a lady IPO told me and i finally gave up etc,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cecilia Ibru Paid N225m For Living In Own House / Nigerians To Enjoy Regular Power Soon • Fg Directs States To Provide Electricity / Igbos Have Acquired About 73 Percent Of Landed Property In Abuja – El Rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.