Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,732 members, 7,831,334 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? (7708 Views)

Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan On A Refuse Dump! / Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya / I.G of Police Refuse To Recognize Tambuwal As Speaker. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 8:21am On Feb 18, 2009
nuzo:

Do you think the officer did the right thing by letting you go?
So, if it was in the states, a policeman would let you go if you were driving without driver's license?. . . . jeez.

This is the reason why nigerians are to be blamed. How could a car owner be driving for over a decade without a driver's license? You should have been arrested on the spot.

@topic

NPF is very corrupt and brave while the nigerian civilians are not only corrupt but a bunch of born cowards, hypocrites and sycophants.

i hope we will see you display your bravery at Tienanmen Square, episode II
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by FBS: 8:24am On Feb 18, 2009
@nuzo, I think you have a problem. Why generalize everyone?

THE NPF is madly corrupt or don't you think so?
Yes, they will be some good ones among them but nobody want to lose his/her life over 20 naira and like someone said, Nigeria is no country for heroes.

If you are that brave, why don't you start the fight and take the struggle to the street. Surely, you should have ways to do that.

The thing is these people are trained to collect bribes.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by sentix(m): 8:45am On Feb 18, 2009
Hi guys,
Well you don't have to give any policeman a bribe provided you can do the following:

1. You have a lot of time on your hands

2. Do not argue with them, ask them to take you to the police station (which might be hours later cus they will carry your around with them or stay in a place for a long time)

3. There is somebody you can call or you have the phone numbers of some high ranking officers (navy, police or army)

4. You are an all go no quits person.

I have had numerous runins with them and have always refused to back down. But I am usually saved by my brother who call their area commander. If you don't have all these be wise.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 18, 2009
FBS:

@nuzo, I think you have a problem. Why generalize everyone?

THE NPF is madly corrupt or don't you think so?

Yes, they will be some good ones among them but nobody want to lose his/her life over 20 naira and like someone said, Nigeria is no country for heroes.

If you are that brave, why don't you start the fight and take the struggle to the street. Surely, you should have ways to do that.

The thing is these people are trained to collect bribes.

You have just displayed what you accused me of; generalization. . . . now, who is the person with the problem?

Secondly, I am no saint but I usually do everything legally possible to keep up to date with the law whenever am in nigeria. But the few times i met the corrupt policemen demanding for bribe; i slug it out with them. I have been taken to their station several times and came out victorious as their oga usually rain courses on them for unduly harassing me.

Everybody loves life, but i dont consider living in such decay as life.

However, most nigerians are constantly harassed by policemen because of their rude attitude of presenting our cases, not necessarily because of bribes. I could still remember a situation where one hopeless nigerian wanted to fight a policeman for checking up his documents.

Kobojunkie:

Actually, Yes. It is not a crime to forget your license at home. Depending on your record, you might be given a warning, or told to report with it to the court to clear yourself.

In this case, the police let him go without checking his previous records or documenting this crime. Am not sure that a good policeman would be so lazy to do that.

oyb:

i hope we will see you display your bravery at Tienanmen Square, episode  II

Do you want to compare the nigerian police to that of chinese? Better dont go there. . . .
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by mckaycee(m): 11:59am On Feb 18, 2009
People expect much from a demoralised organisation. Have you not heard, no improved pay, no proper training, they live in shanties and yet people expect more from them. Their top brass syphon funds, go on jamborees and some one is comparing them with european cops that have a well improved package.
If una like, make una take iron do N20, our people go still collect am after all, dem dey still collect bribe for Senate, house of reps, immigration, army, local govt council, embassies, church, mosque and even wife dey collect bribe from "oga" b4 servicing go start.
I no be police, but make una pray for OUR SOCIETY.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by amaikama(m): 12:59pm On Feb 18, 2009
It not all police collect bribes as we all thought. there are some who are living beyond their means and their some who just don't give a damn how much they earn, still endulge in bribery. can our politicians stay away from corruption? if we are talking about police and bribery, they are just a fraction of our economy problem compared to what is going on in the federal level.

Please can someone tell me what the economic implication of a police man taking bribe on the road and that of a politicians puting the whole country in a black out without finding a lasting solution to it even when they know the solution and how to avart it in near future?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by amaikama(m): 1:06pm On Feb 18, 2009
nuzo!!! slug it out with n9ja police over bribe and u live to tell the tale abi? shocked hhhhhmmmmm!!! well, sha!!!! make u no make the ones wey smoke ganja come slug it out with u oooo!! on one on one bases where no one will see u. they will surely snif life out of u and nobody cares to look for u. china u no go go again.

How many times u hear say n9ja police find somebody wey lost for the past years in History of this country? my broda, abeg if u and them dey argue, just maintain, no be say u dey fear but fear the people wey u leave for house make then no worri to much.

A word is enough for those who want to hear but refuse to hear and learn.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kx: 1:14pm On Feb 18, 2009
Can a Nigerian police officer refuse bribe?

Answer is yes they can.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by FBS: 1:41pm On Feb 18, 2009
nuzo:

You have just displayed what you accused me of; generalization. . . . now, who is the person with the problem?
you are very funny. Didnt you see this part. Does that sound like generalization?
Yes, they will be some good ones among them
Now, whose got a problem?

nuzo:

Secondly, I am no saint but I usually do everything legally possible to keep up to date with the law whenever am in nigeria. But the few times i met the corrupt policemen demanding for bribe; i slug it out with them. I have been taken to their station several times and came out victorious as their oga usually rain courses on them for unduly harassing me.

Everybody loves life, but i dont consider living in such decay as life.

[b]However, most nigerians are constantly harassed by policemen because of their rude attitude of presenting our cases, not necessarily because of bribes.[/b]I could still remember a situation where one hopeless nigerian wanted to fight a policeman for checking up his documents.
In this case, the police let him go without checking his previous records or documenting this crime. Am not sure that a good policeman would be so lazy to do that.

Do you want to compare the nigerian police to that of chinese? Better dont go there. . . .

Please relocate to Nigeria, ok? not just to visit and continue to slug it out with them. Take the struggle to the streets. You never know, the outcome. . .a revolution or something?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Moonstone(f): 1:44pm On Feb 18, 2009
LOL - This is like asking a hungry man if he would eat if he saw a source of food. Nigerian Policemen, most of them, are easily bribed because of the conditions they face in Nigeria. I don't blame them because when you have 5 kids to feed and you're living on a mediocre salary, bribery does not begin to look like a crime again. If they were paid half as much as other police, they would not have to receive bribes. I blame the government for the bribes jare!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 1:59pm On Feb 18, 2009
Moonstone:

LOL - This is like asking a hungry man if he would eat if he saw a source of food. Nigerian Policemen, most of them, are easily bribed because of the conditions they face in Nigeria. I don't blame them because when you have 5 kids to feed and you're living on a mediocre salary, bribery does not begin to look like a crime again. If they were paid half as much as other police, they would not have to receive bribes. I blame the government for the bribes jare!

Even when their pay was ok back some years ago, they still collected bribe. You blame the government for a man's continued choice to be dishonest when you are willing to admit that there are those amongst them who choose not to be? Come on!!! If the police pay is not good for you why not protest or find you something else to do rather than harrass and take out your anger on the public? I have seen how deadly these confrontations can get. I have the fear in people when they approach these men. As we rightly admit, some have had to die because of this. I am sorry, these excuses are not cutting it. Yes, the governments bad, Yes their pay is bad, but if they are not willing to protest/QUIT/walk off/fight to change things for themselves, are you telling me that the members of the public who are bullied/killed by these men are just casualties and nothing more?

Why have 5 kids on a salary you know can not cut it?

While we are passing  all blame to government, we should also blame government for all the drug dealers, armedrobbers, 419ers and prostitutes. I am sure we do not need to dig far to find some more lame reasons/excuses why such connections should be made.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by tulk2mi: 2:03pm On Feb 18, 2009
PPLE HAVEN'T U HEARD? THERE'S A VACANCY!
9JA HAS ADVERISE FOR A VACANT POSITION WE R LOOKING 4 OUR OWN MLK IF U R QUALIFIED PLS APPLY IN PERSON IN 9JA .

It's not enuf 2 b faraway n give us all this idealistic theories. not bad tho

if u can come down and practicalise ur ideals mayb then u can undastand y we try 2 save ourselves 4rm d inconveniences of d daily harrasment dey give 2 us.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Moonstone(f): 2:07pm On Feb 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Even when their pay was ok back some years ago, they still collected bribe. You blame the government for a man's continued choice to be dishonest when you are willing to admit that there are those amongst them who choose not to be? Come on!!! If the police pay is not good for you why not protest or find you something else to do rather than harrass and take out your anger on those in public? I am sorry, these excuses are not cutting it. Yes, the government s bad but if they are not willing to protest/walk off/fight to change things, are you telling me that the members of the public who are bullied by these men are just casualties and nothing more?
Why have 5 kids on a salary you know can not cut it?
I blame the government because the corruption in those high ranks trickle down to the lowest levels. If the government was not so corrupt, would the policemen be earning so little? The thing about it is that we all know that money is going to the Judicial levels and we see it because the IGs and AIGs are busy racking up serious amount of millions and building ridiculous houses everywhere. If the police pay is not good and you know there is so much underemployment, would you rather stay and be earning a little money or would you leave your job in search of another job you may never find? They make do with what they have because that is their only choice. Labour unions especially those of Teachers are the only group of people who walk off and get result. As bad as Nigeria is with Armed robbery and kidnapping, you want them to walk off? Anyway, it's not like they are that useful in that respect. Members of the public bribe their ways through everything including college and even work applications. If they can do that, why must we only shout about one segment. Nigerian policemen are not the only ones collecting bribes and this shows that there is something wrong with the system in the country.
You know how people are with family planning. . . some of them don't even know how to use condoms and they rack babies up thinking it was supposed to be that way.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 2:12pm On Feb 18, 2009
Moonstone:

I blame the government because the corruption in those high ranks trickle down to the lowest levels. If the government was not so corrupt, would the policemen be earning so little? The thing about it is that we all know that money is going to the Judicial levels and we see it because the IGs and AIGs are busy racking up serious amount of millions and building ridiculous houses everywhere. If the police pay is not good and you know there is so much underemployment, would you rather stay and be earning a little money or would you leave your job in search of another job you may never find? They make do with what they have because that is their only choice. Labour unions especially those of Teachers are the only group of people who walk off and get result. As bad as Nigeria is with Armed robbery and kidnapping, you want them to walk off? Anyway, it's not like they are that useful in that respect. Members of the public bribe their ways through everything including college and even work applications. If they can do that, why must we only shout about one segment. Nigerian policemen are not the only ones collecting bribes and this shows that there is something wrong with the system in the country.
You know how people are with family planning. . . some of them don't even know how to use condoms and they rack babies up thinking it was supposed to be that way.

Is this the story you are willing to FEED the next family that loosesa son/daughter/mother/ father/ cousin? Is this really what you will tell them for reason why you do not believe these policemen are to be held accountable for their actions?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by ladoma(m): 2:37pm On Feb 18, 2009
the police of any country is a reflection of that society.enough of this blanket abuse of the police by you all.how many of you are living within your means.a clerk in the ministry,a banker,teacher,accountant,name it,you are all driving vehicles worth 1.2m. or more on a salary not up to 3m per annum. how come.all we do is to open our mouth wide to abuse this heroes.mind you,tens of policemen are killed daily in an effort to defend you.on a salary less than that of your house maid.yet you see nothing in this.the fed govt is not doing exactly all it should do.the patrol officer is to fuel the police van by himself.is it the case in Britain or Usa or Germany.so what is the basis of comparison?.the divisional police officer has no impress acct.quote me.is that the case at the branch office where you work.do you contribute from your salary to hire cleaners to clean your office.that is what is obtainable at the police station.the divisional police officer is asked to use his discretion to repair the break down police patrol van.how? your guess is as good as mine.
as a civil servant when you are transfered or sent on course,you are paid.so also in the banks.not so in the police.you use your salary to attend that course and how much is the salary by the way.
this is february 18 th 2009,go and ask ,many police officers are yet to collect the pittance paid which is called january salary.can you imagine, a man who is to defend you and stop corruption according to you ,two months into the year is yet to collect a dime.that policeman is hungry and angry.he sees affluence all round him,he sees his colleagues being killed daily,he hears himself being called all sorts of names by those he is defending,nobody cares about him.he is frustrated.he is mad.so what do you expect.
yet,but yet,we have very nice and very refine officers.did you not watch or heard the story of the policemen who were given award for recovering the sum of #24m intact from an accidented bullion van where the occupants were unconscious.the money was returned intact,though they were the first to arrive the scene.what were they given by the new generation bank--#5000 each and a certificate of honesty to each of the 5 members of the team.
what about the police officer who was killed in EDO BY robbers because he refused to compromise his oath of office and blatantly refused to collect the sum of #10m offered by the syndicate for him to release their gang members caught by him.he charged the duo to court,2 years after their committal to prison , somehow, somebody,somewhere in the legal system released them and they came after the officer.yet we continue to talk of police- police.
pls,keep quiet if you dont have anything positive to contribute.hissssssssss embarassed
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by RABORN: 3:26pm On Feb 18, 2009
guys,
Its like because of salary make the gulet bribe, why because their salary is very poor some of the have many childs in school which they have to pay their school fee.
Another one is feeding money, as you know that something is very hard now adays.
So you need to consider all this bro. That is why their will not refuse bribe.
basso
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Sauron1: 3:40pm On Feb 18, 2009
amaikama:

nuzo!!! slug it out with n9ja police over bribe and u live to tell the tale abi? shocked hhhhhmmmmm!!! well, sha!!!! make u no make the ones wey smoke ganja come slug it out with u oooo!! on one on one bases where no one will see u. they will surely snif life out of u and nobody cares to look for u. china u no go go again.

How many times u hear say n9ja police find somebody wey lost for the past years in History of this country? my broda, abeg if u and them dey argue, just maintain, no be say u dey fear but fear the people wey u leave for house make then no worri to much.

A word is enough for those who want to hear but refuse to hear and learn.

MINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by skyone(m): 3:49pm On Feb 18, 2009
When a governor of state completely knows about bribery in the police force and do nothing about it what else can you expect, ?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2009
ladoma:

as a civil servant when you are transfered or sent on course,you are paid.so also in the banks.not so in the police.you use your salary to attend that course and how much is the salary by the way.
this is february 18 th 2009,go and ask ,many police officers are yet to collect the pittance paid which is called january salary.can you imagine, a man who is to defend you and stop corruption according to you ,two months into the year is yet to collect a dime.that policeman is hungry and angry.he sees affluence all round him,he sees his colleagues being killed daily,he hears himself being called all sorts of names by those he is defending,nobody cares about him.he is frustrated.he is mad.so what do you expect.

@Ladoma, I agree that there are definitely the good ones among them.  I have met some myself. However, are you saying that because he all of them are not paid well is good reason why those who choose to become drug smugglers, armed robbers and even those who kill people for not giving them bribe or standing against their attacks are justified? Are you in some way labeling these as heroes along with the few good cops we have there who are?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Rhea(f): 5:31pm On Feb 18, 2009
There is absolutely nothing strange about the narration. From experience, if you offer a Nigerian policeman on traffic duty (stop & check or stop & search duty) and you start off by offering him some money, the most likely thing is for him to reject outright and ask instead for vehicle particulars. When he is satisfied that all is ok, he usually does not have the guts to ask for the money he just rejected some minutes before, unless it is re-offered.
So, Okey should have tried again when he was cleared to continue his trip and watch his N200 disappear.
Be that as it may, I am yet to see that policeman who would reject a stretched out arm along the highway, even if na shit wey inside the palm.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Moonstone(f): 5:39pm On Feb 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Is this the story you are willing to FEED the next family that loosesa son/daughter/mother/ father/ cousin? Is this really what you will tell them for reason why you do not believe these policemen are to be held accountable for their actions?
It is not a story. It is the fact. I am not saying all the blame should be placed on the govt. Like you rightly said, some are good. All I'm saying is that we should trace the origin of this rubbish. Policemen should be held accountable to some extent but majority of the fault is the Govt's.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by bodejohn(m): 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2009
@ All

Reading through the posts was intresting to me, but the issue at hand is not intresting at all.
If a policeman should ask for bribe simply because he is underpaid, should an unemployed man on
the street turn to stealing because he is hungry? There is no justification for a policeman taking bribe.
He at least applied for the job and he is free to quit at anytime if he is not satisfied with the conditions
of his service. Come to think of it there are more families in Nigeria who leave on less than what is paid
a Nigerian policeman.

I am not so surprised that most of the people calling for others to stand against the Nigerian Police live
outside Nigeria. You leave in societies where there is rule of law and reward for every labour.
The group of policemen who sometimes ago tried to protest their deteriorating living conditions are presently in the prisons.

When you visit Nigeria and your are stopped on the highway in the middle of nowhere and nobody to rescue
you, considering giving a #200 bribe will be a very good option for you to be able to get to your destination alive and
energy to fight the rut in our society next day.

It is not only in the bribe taking that we have doomed ourselves but also in education, medical care, economy etc. If the Nigerians
in diaspora are ready to clean up Nigeria, we welcome them home!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 5:45pm On Feb 18, 2009
Moonstone:

It is not a story. It is the fact. I am not saying all the blame should be placed on the govt. Like you rightly said, some are good. All I'm saying is that we should trace the origin of this rubbish. Policemen should be held accountable to some extent but majority of the fault is the Govt's.

We All know the origin of the problem in Nigeria, THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE who allowed all this to happen in the first place and continue even 10 years after official starting of  a democracy ( Government for the people by the people).  

If they should be held accountable TO SOME EXTENT are you saying when a person is killed for not paying bribe ( even though this does not happen often), the cop should not be given full punishment for the crime?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Moonstone(f): 5:51pm On Feb 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

We All know the origin of the problem in Nigeria, THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE who allowed all this to happen in the first place and continue even 10 years after official starting of  a democracy ( Government for the people by the people).  

If they should be held accountable TO SOME EXTENT are you saying when a person is killed for not paying bribe ( even though this does not happen often), the cop should not be given full punishment for the crime?
I agree that Nigerian People should be blamed for this.

If a cop kills a person who does not pay bribe, that's taking it too far now. It is no longer just murder, it's now murder and extortion. If a cop is asking for bribe - I'm saying you should blame it on the fact that he's living on a very low salary with the Government paying little to no attention to him as an individual. If that cop decides to take it to another level such are murder or assault, it's now a personal issue pertaining to just him. Majority of the policemen ask for bribes but very few of them kill or beat one up because of it. They might give you a tough time and all but they usually don't go as far as killing or beating.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 5:54pm On Feb 18, 2009
Moonstone:

I agree that Nigerian People should be blamed for this.

If a cop kills a person who does not pay bribe, that's taking it too far now. It is no longer just murder, it's now murder and extortion.

Ok

Moonstone:

If a cop is asking for bribe - I'm saying you should blame it on the fact that he's living on a very low salary with the Government paying little to no attention to him as an individual.

So if a cop does not ask for bribe but does his job and lets me go, what should I blame it on?

Moonstone:

If that cop decides to take it to another level such are murder or assault, it's now a personal issue pertaining to just him. Majority of the policemen ask for bribes but very few of them kill or beat one up because of it.
They might give you a tough time and all but they usually don't go as far as killing or beating.

So If I get bullied and beaten by a cop, it is government’s fault. What if I don’t get bullied at all, what do I blame it on?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Moonstone(f): 6:11pm On Feb 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So if a cop does not ask for bribe but does his job and lets me go, what should I blame it on?
If he does not ask for bribe? or if he asks for a bribe?
If he lets you go and you don't give him a bribe, it's a thing of individuality of situation at that point. The Government should be blamed for such low salaries and blatant disregard for the cops. If the cop on his own decides not to go for a bribe, some people end up "dashing" them money anyways. Some people do recognize that there are other ways to go about getting money but most of them act like that because of greed and they see it as the only option to keeping themselves afloat.

So If I get bullied and beaten by a cop, it is government’s fault. What if I don’t get bullied at all, what do I blame it on?
If you don't get bullied at all, why would you blame someone for that? If you don't get bullied, praise the cop's personality.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:22pm On Feb 18, 2009
Moonstone:

If he does not ask for bribe? or if he asks for a bribe?

So I should blame Government ONLY IF a policeman does something wrong?

Moonstone:

If he lets you go and you don't give him a bribe, it's a thing of individuality of situation at that point.

If it is about individual choices, then why then do I blame government when a policeman does wrong but not blame government when policeman does his job as he should?

Moonstone:

The Government should be blamed for such low salaries and blatant disregard for the cops.

Now I can agree with the above, but I still see no connection to the above and the blaming of government when a policeman who as an individual chooses to do wrong, when we also admit that there are policemen out there who choose instead to do right.

Moonstone:

If the cop on his own decides not to go for a bribe, some people end up "dashing" them money anyways. Some people do recognize that there are other ways to go about getting money but most of them act like that because of greed and they see it as the only option to keeping themselves afloat.
If you don't get bullied at all, why would you blame someone for that? If you don't get bullied, praise the cop's personality.

So if I get bullied, I blame government but if I don’t get bullied, I praise the cop? Do I also praise Government in the latter case then? I mean since Government seems to have a share of the blame in the former.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 18, 2009
nuzo:

Quote from: A-town on Yesterday at 10:09:05 PM
The fact is that some of them are still sane.
An officer stopped me once and i told him i forgot my license at home and he told me to go without trying to demand for anything. I couldn't believe it and thought i was still in the states.

Do you think the officer did the right thing by letting you go?
So, if it was in the states, a policeman would let you go if you were driving without driver's license?. . . . jeez.

On the other hand, a bunch of them also stopped me one time and i told them the same story (i obviously didn't have one then cos the one i had expired like a decade ago).
They immediately demanded for settlement. I said i didn't have any money on me and they told me that there are ATMS around. Can you beat that.

This is the reason why nigerians are to be blamed. How could a car owner be driving for over a decade without a driver's license? You should have been arrested on the spot.

@topic

NPF is very corrupt and brave while the nigerian civilians are not only corrupt but a bunch of born cowards, hypocrites and sycophants.

What the f.uck is your problem. Are you a f.ucking retard or something. I hate when people like you try to act smart without asking for full details before misyarning. F.UCKING idiot. I usually don't get angry but i am willing to unleash my anger on you for such a retarded comment.

In the states, the officer would have asked me for my license number and i would have told him. He can also use my S.S.N to find out if i have any warrants. If he's not satisfied, he would issue me a citation and FUCKING LET ME GO. I would get home, get my license, go to the court and clear out my citation. Naija has no court for you to go to. Did you expect the officer to hold me when i said my license was at home. The right thing to do is let me go or give me a fine (which is non existent and has been taken over by bribes). There is no verification system in naija.

For the second scenario, i little bit of patience would have shown you that i was just back in the country at the time. Did you expect me to show my U.S drivers license so that they can milk me for my entire life savings. It only costs 5000 naira to get a license. Do you think it is possible for anyone to be driving for 10 yrs in naija without getting a licence. You are an idiot. Why would i risk police harrassment for 10yrs. Stop trying to pick on words and focus on the main issue. If i had removed the statement about my licence expiring, it won't have changed my point so get lost and go F.UCK yourself
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by asha80(m): 6:33pm On Feb 18, 2009
What the f.uck is your problem. Are you a f.ucking retard or something. I hate when people like you try to act smart without asking for full details before misyarning. F.UCKING idiot. I usually don't get angry but i am willing to unleash my anger on you for such a retarded comment.

In the states, the officer would have asked me for my license number and i would have told him. He can also use my S.S.N to find out if i have any warrants. If he's not satisfied, he would issue me a citation and FUCKING LET ME GO. I would get home, get my license, go to the court and clear out my citation. Naija has no court for you to go to. Did you expect the officer to hold me when i said my license was at home. The right thing to do is let me go or give me a fine (which is non existent and has been taken over by bribes). There is no verification system in naija.

For the second scenario, i little bit of patience would have shown you that i was just back in the country at the time. Did you expect me to show my U.S drivers license so that they can milk me for my entire life savings. It only costs 5000 naira to get a license. Do you think it is possible for anyone to be driving for 10 yrs in naija without getting a licence. You are an idiot. Why would i risk police harrassment for 10yrs. Stop trying to pick on words and focus on the main issue. If i had removed the statement about my licence expiring, it won't have changed my point so get lost and go F.UCK yourself

Typical nigerian
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 18, 2009
asha 80:

Typical nigerian

Last time i checked, this was/is a nigerian site and has 99% nigerian members. If it suprises you that i am a typical nigerian then you need to wake up because. . . . Guess what - You r one toooooooooo
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Fhemmmy: 6:47pm On Feb 18, 2009
A-town:

Kobojunkie:

So I should blame Government ONLY IF a policeman does something wrong?

If it is about individual choices, then why then do I blame government when a policeman does wrong but not blame government when policeman does his job as he should?

Now I can agree with the above, but I still see no connection to the above and the blaming of government when a policeman who as an individual chooses to do wrong, when we also admit that there are policemen out there who choose instead to do right.

So if I get bullied, I blame government but if I don’t get bullied, I praise the cop? Do I also praise Government in the latter case then? I mean since Government seems to have a share of the blame in the former.

So all these your "F" words, was it to show your identity as a man that reside in Nigeria? or as someone that have a point to make?
So disappointing that all where you have used the "f" words were all out of place.
In the Americas, when you drive without your licence, you would have been given a ticket and you could fight it in court by showing up with your licence.
Anyhow, all we are saying is that nigerian police still have a long way to go, but we can all do our part to make sure they are educated.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by asha80(m): 6:48pm On Feb 18, 2009
Last time i checked, this was/is a nigerian site and has 99% nigerian members. If it suprises you that i am a typical nigerian then you need to wake up because.  .  .   . Guess what - You r one toooooooooo

Cool down. It is good for your health

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Robbers Kill Three Policemen In Ogun / INEC Deregister 28 Political Parties / Couple Caught On Camera Having Sex At Hotel Pool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.