Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,763 members, 7,809,929 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB (24640 Views)

N'delta Militants Are No Pushovers, We Lack Equipment To Confront Them' - Chief / Why We Can’t Release Details Of Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – Code Of Conduct / We Lack The Capacity To Prevent Corruption In Nigeria – Okonjo-Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Amaudeogu(m): 2:41am On Jun 02, 2015
ABUJA — Nigerians who are itching to see the net worth of President Muhammadu Buhari and his vice, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, may need to wait a bit longer, as the Code of Conduct Bureau, CCB, which keeps custody of the assets declared by the two leaders, says it lacks the power to make them public for now.

Chairman of the CCB, Mr. Sam Sada, who spoke exclusively to Vanguard through his Special Assistant, Mr. Gwimi Sebastian Peter, said only the National Assembly is vested with the powers to decide the terms and conditions under which such documents could be made public.

The chairman said even though the Constitution of Nigerian made it clear that the agency should make available to the citizens the assets declared by public officials, the same law vested the National Assembly with the power to decide the terms and conditions for making such materials public.

Sada explained that the CCB was ready to comply with the terms and conditions specified by the National Assembly on the matter but would only do so once the law was amended.

He said: “While the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1999) and the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act give the bureau powers to receive assets declarations, verify, examine, keep in custody and enforce compliance when there is a breach, the responsibility of determining how and on what terms asset declarations will be made accessible to the public was left to the National Assembly.

“Several National Assemblies have come and gone since the establishment of the CCB without addressing the matter.”

Lacuna in FOI Act

When his attention was drawn to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act, which makes it compulsory for the CCB to make available to media houses and other interested Nigerians the assets of public officers, the chairman said the FOI Act could not override the provisions of the Nigerian Constitution.

He said that there was a lacuna in the FOI Act, which makes it difficult for the bureau to make public the assets declared by public figures.

Regarding what Buhari and his vice submitted to the agency, the chairman said while it was rather too early for Nigerians to ask the President and his vice to make public their assets, it was necessary for them to exercise some patience and see what the two leaders would do after having voluntarily filed their assets with the CCB.

What the constitution says

Sub-section 3c of Section 153 of the 1999 Constitution actually takes away the right it intended to give to the CCB to publicly display the assets of public officers by stipulating that only the NASS can decide the terms and conditions for making such assets public.

The section is yet to be repealed many years after it was made.

The same section also seems to have rendered impotent Section 4 of the FoI Act 2011, which states: “A public institution shall ensure that information referred to in this section is widely disseminated and made readily available to members of the public through various means, including print, electronic and online sources, and at the offices of such public institutions.”

Buhari and Osinbajo had last week secretly filed their assets with the CCB, thereby reneging on the pledge by the President to publicly declare his assets if elected into office.

But some aides of the President argued last night that Buhari might make a public declaration of his assets as his administration takes shape in the days to come.

They argued that the declaration of their assets by the two men was to demonstrate their determination to break away with the opaqueness that had attended government activities in the past and pave the way for change.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/we-lack-power-for-now-to-display-buhari-osinbajos-assets-ccb/#sthash.3gAmi6Nt.dpuf

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Rawani: 2:43am On Jun 02, 2015
Clearly the past PDP administration was not committed to transparency, accountability and the whole asset declaration process, which is why we are just discovering these constitutional challenges now, an issue that would have been long resolved through making the required amendments which will force the CCB to publish submitted asset declarations in the newspapers.

Regardless of these hiccups, it would be great if President Buhari sets an example and ignores the usual long process, and publicly announces his declared assets so we can concentrate on other issues of national importance.

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by iphanyiuma(m): 2:43am On Jun 02, 2015
I don't know what to make out of this, if I should hear this from my employee, he will be fired. I want to see those assets if possible the certificate of occupancy sef and waec if available .... Meanwhile I hate the poster above me.. That was my birthright... Just clocked 1000

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Firefire(m): 2:47am On Jun 02, 2015
The chairman said even though the Constitution of Nigerian made it clear that the agency should make available to the citizens the assets declared by public officials, the same law vested the National Assembly with the power to decide the terms and conditions for making such materials public.

Sada explained that the CCB was ready to comply with the terms and conditions specified by the National Assembly on the matter but would only do so once the law was amended.

“Several National Assemblies have come and gone since the establishment of the CCB without addressing the matter.”

Nigeria is becoming a huge joke. undecided

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Amaudeogu(m): 2:50am On Jun 02, 2015
I don't see anything difficult for the president elect to declare his assets publicly if he is not hiding something from the masses...

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by yomip3t(m): 3:07am On Jun 02, 2015
You better show us something before something do you. undecided

15 Likes

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Nobody: 3:15am On Jun 02, 2015
Rawani:
Clearly the past PDP administration was not committed to transparency, accountability and the whole asset declaration process, which is why we are just discovering these constitutional challenges now, an issue that would have been long resolved through making the required amendments which will force the CCB to publish submitted asset declarations in the newspapers.

Regardless of these hiccups, it would be great if President Buhari sets an example and ignores the usual long process, and publicly announces his declared assets so we can concentrate on other issues of national importance.

No, PMB is not setting example... Yar'adua, a PDP president had done the same, even GEJ had previously declared his assets public... The constitution was there when Yar'adua declared his assets ( even though he didn't promise to do so like PMB).

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Rawani: 3:25am On Jun 02, 2015
Mykevp2p:

No, PMB is not setting example... Yar'adua, a PDP president had done the same, even GEJ had previously declared his assets public... The constitution was there when Yar'adua declared his assets ( even though he didn't promise to do so like PMB).

If you had carefully read my comment, you'd see I specifically mentioned the past administration because it enacted the FOI Act which suffers the lacuna that is the basis of the current conflict.

Furthermore, GEJ never publicly declared his assets as President, he only did the constitutional minimum of submitting his declaration.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Rose2014: 3:39am On Jun 02, 2015
But Buhari knew this before he promised during campaign to declare his asset PUBLICLY

Now he's hiding under constitution to break his own promise

If this is not scam, then tell me what scam is

Politicians using the head of the masses every 4years since 1914

So much for change

76 Likes 10 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Truckpusher(m): 3:47am On Jun 02, 2015
Rose2014:
But Buhari knew this before he promised during campaign to declare his asset PUBLICLY

Now he's hiding under constitution to break his promise

So much for change
Buhari right from the word go and all that saintly toga and I will pite kworofshion mantra was all nothing but lies from the pits of hell, unfortunately we have too many zombies in the society today that can't sit down and ask themselves some hard questions.

What would a Buhari be doing with a Tinubu,Obasanjo,Amaechi,Kwakwanso and all the rest of the thieving elites that decamped from the PDP to join forces with the remaining set of thieves in the ACN turned APC?

Buhari is the greatest lie ever sold to a people because of their ingrained hatred for a particular region and people.The truth is we must see that change they promised ,else it is every man to thine own tent.
Enough of running around in a cycle with no end in sight.

84 Likes 10 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by xcolanto(m): 3:50am On Jun 02, 2015
Buhari is a joke! Making a mockery of the Nigerian populace with his mr "intergrity" and "holy" false status. If not that him and his cronies intend to steal and syphon government funds, why not just make what is already given to CCB available to those that seek to know it. What a brainless action to take... Smh

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Rose2014: 3:54am On Jun 02, 2015
Truckpusher:
Buhari right from the word go and all that saintly toga and I will pite kworofshion mantra was all nothing but lies from the pits of hell, unfortunately we have too many zombies in the society today that can't sit down and ask themselves some hard questions.

What would a Buhari be doing with a Tinubu,Obasanjo,Amaechi,Kwakwanso and all the rest of the thieving elites that decamped from the PDP to join forces with the remaining set of thieves in the ACN turned APC?

Buhari is the greatest lie ever sold to a people because of their ingrained hatred for a particular region and people.The truth is we must see that change they promised ,else it is every man to thine own tent.
Enough of running around in a cycle with no end in sight.

He's just rubbing it all in the faces of Nigerians.
No office of First Lady shocked
He borrowed to buy nomination form and has only one million naira n 150 cows while the wife donated over a hundred million naira on the other end and flaunting her a N10M wrist watch.
Now his asset cannot be declared publicly.
I'm really amazed how gullible Nigerians bought into their Mr.Integrity sermon honestly.

Now Where are those APC e rats that have bn beating their chest over Buhari's integrity?

58 Likes 10 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Truckpusher(m): 3:56am On Jun 02, 2015
Rose2014:

He borrowed to buy nomination form and has only one million naira n 150 cows while the wife donated over a hundred million naira on the other end
Same wife flaunting her $34K wrist watch
Now his asset cannot be declared publicly

Where are those APC e rats that have bn beating their chest that Buhari will declare his asset publicly and that it's too early to conclude?

Smh.....

The rats would always show up to defend their Mr integrity.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by M4gunners: 3:57am On Jun 02, 2015
And this is how the matter will die.We don enter one chance i tell una. No smoke without fire, they have reason for refusing to make it publicly.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by realtestament(m): 4:00am On Jun 02, 2015
I dnt even understand dis man sef, declare asset u no gree, since u bcom president i neva see lite 4 ma area, i still dey buy fuel 120per litre, ma frnd Eric still dey jobless....hmm!! I still sidon dey look.

10 Likes

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Rose2014: 4:18am On Jun 02, 2015
During campaign;

“I pledge to publicly declare my assets and liabilities, encourage all my appointees to publicity declare their assets and liabilities as a pre-condition for appointment."

Barely 72 hours After swearing in;

(Buhari and Osinbajo had last week secretly filed their assets with the CCB, thereby reneging on the pledge by the President to publicly declare his assets if elected into office)

Now check this out

"By declaring their assets, the statement said that President Buhari and Vice President Osinbajo may have not only fulfilled the requirements of the Nigerian Constitution, but also fulfilled the first of their many campaign promises.".

shocked shocked

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Jesusloveyou: 4:52am On Jun 02, 2015
Mykevp2p:

pmb wil be setting record as he publically declare in less than 30days as d earliest to declare publically, as d only one that promise and never fail along with his vp and appointees.

2 Likes

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by fitzmayowa: 4:57am On Jun 02, 2015
I hope this will not be like the certificate issue, if only mallam shehu did not start blowing PMB's trumphet too early...

BTW i will still want to give PMB and Osinbajo a benefit of a doubt that they will fulfil their campaign promise of declaring their assets to nigerians and not to CCB alone...IMO

1 Like

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Nobody: 5:01am On Jun 02, 2015
Tell them

1 Like

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by fitzmayowa: 5:03am On Jun 02, 2015
M4gunners:
And this is how the matter will die.We don enter one chance i tell una. No smoke without fire, they have reason for refusing to make it publicly.

The certificate issue comes to mind, before it was partially laid to rest...

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Jesusloveyou: 5:04am On Jun 02, 2015
Rose2014:

So much for change

have u see pmb since inauguration? He has many things to attend to, he has not even resume duty,not to talk of having time for less important thing like asset declaration, don't u pple have common sense? boko haram just strike for d first day, and he has swift into action immediately, not like ur 'i don't care' ex-president. Is high time u saTANiod should have common sense.

16 Likes

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by fitzmayowa: 5:06am On Jun 02, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
have u see pmb since inauguration? He has many things to attend to, he has not even resume duty,not to talk of having time for less important thing like asset declaration, don't u pple have common sense? boko haram just strike for d first day, and he has swift into action immediately, not like ur 'i don't care' ex-president. Is high time u saTANiod should have common sense.

He has already resumed officially, in as much as i agree with you that asset declaration is less important and shouldn't be an issue, those asking for him to declare it publicly are only holding him accountable on his campaign promises...

When you don't deliver on trivial campaign promises such as asset declaration, how do you expect nigerians to trust him to deliver on the the important campaign promises...

Remember drop of water makes an ocean, plus tune down on the insults those asking (whether justified or not) have the right to ask you know...

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Jesusloveyou: 5:16am On Jun 02, 2015
Rose2014:

He borrowed to buy nomination form and has only one million naira n 150 cows while the wife donated over a hundred million naira on the other end. Same wife is now flaunting her $34K wrist watch.
Now his asset cannot be declared publicly.
I'm really amazed how gullible Nigerians bought into their Mr.Integrity sermon honestly.

Now Where are those APC e rats that have bn beating their chest over Buhari's integrity?

and what happen to his integrity? Has he stole any kobo? has he fail any promise? Have u see him publicly,to declare his asset, so what is ur problem.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by olasmith10(m): 5:56am On Jun 02, 2015
Amaudeogu:
I don't see anything difficult for the president elect to declare his assets publicly if he is not hiding something from the masses...

what is he hiding?

3 Likes

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by olasmith10(m): 5:58am On Jun 02, 2015
xcolanto:
Buhari is a joke! Making a mockery of the Nigerian populace with his mr "intergrity" and "holy" false status. If not that him and his cronies intend to steal and syphon government funds, why not just make what is already given to CCB available to those that seek to know it. What a brainless action to take... Smh

yardua was inaugurated may 29 2007, he made his assets public June 27..

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by owobokiri(m): 6:04am On Jun 02, 2015
Crazy stuff. . Who would have believed this? Buhari pulling all stunts to hide his assets? Saint buhari!? Now acting like a double dealing biblical tax collector? This is totally nonplussing!

11 Likes

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by menesheh(m): 6:09am On Jun 02, 2015
That's the koko

1 Like

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by owobokiri(m): 6:12am On Jun 02, 2015
I will be mild; I have seen many dumb post made by different handles for different purposes here but this below takes the cake. It can't get dumber than this. I mean, asset declaration is now inconsequential? More important things than biulding trust, keeping your words while enshriniing inergrity within the sysem by leading by example? He should do like jonathan? What has changed then? Hello!?

Jesusloveyou:

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Bevista: 6:25am On Jun 02, 2015
Rose2014:

So much for change

As one of the things he'll do in his 1st 100 days in office, PMB said he'll make his assets public. I think he should be given the benefit of doubt till that timeline passes. Remember, late president Yar'Adua also declared his assets privately to CCB and only made it public on June 28th 2007 (one month after swearing-in).

I have been an unapologetic supporter of PMB since 2011, but will be extremely disappointed if he does not make his assets public in 95 days time.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Lack Power For Now To Display Buhari, Osinbajo’s Assets – CCB by Nobody: 6:38am On Jun 02, 2015
Jesusloveyou:

He is not going to come to national TV to read them out.

Just give CCB order to release to the public. That's all!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rotimi Amaechi Arrives Oyo State To Continue Project Inspection - Photos / NERC To Begin Mass Metering On May 1 / Supreme Court Quashes Uche Nwosu’s Candidature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.