Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

Any Igbo Muslim In The House - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Any Igbo Muslim In The House (42573 Views)

Hidden Islam: Nicolo Degiorgis Charts The Challenges Of Being Muslim In Italy / The Only Muslim In Greenland Who Fasts For 21 Hours / Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by bawomolo(m): 3:18am On Mar 16, 2009
about muslims in the north killing igbos, tell us with a straight face that igbos never killed any muslims.

It can easily be argued Religious riots are more likely to happen in the North than in the East. Islam in the North has become radical.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by osisi2(f): 3:28am On Mar 16, 2009
seeklove:
Christianity easily won over the Igbos because it is peaceful and respects human life, even the life of an enemy.

Those that think that Igbos have not been exposed to Islam are wrong. Igbos have long been exposed to it, even today Igbos all over the world are exposed to Islam. Sometimes muslims will even try to win converts by promising them riches. I know how many times they have tried to convert me, my friends, and etc. I know Igbos in the muslim countries, still they will never consider joining. A friend of mine happily lost a contract that would have been his, if only he accepted Islam. The few Igbos that pretend to be muslims only do it to get positions and contracts. Once they return to Igboland they throw away thier Islam and ask God for forgiveness.

Who doesn't know this.
Even the loud mouthed Alhaji Onyeagocha and those Owerri 419 Muslims are well known.
Alhaji Ude in Enugu at least use his Muslim influence in that rotten agidi called Nigeria to send many wa wa folks overseas.
I'm sure there are some Igbo Muslims who joined the Mohammedans "sincerely" but the majority do so is purely for material gains.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by osisi2(f): 3:35am On Mar 16, 2009
Another Islamic educational institution in AlaIgbo is the Al-Haudaa Muslim School. 87 Established in 1990 by Igbo Moslems in Enugu, and approved by the former Anambra State Government, it has a student population of about 150 students, who range in age from 3 to 12 years. Like al Nazral, Al Hudaa awards scholarships to all its students, from kindergarten to elementary. An important difference between the two, however, is the religious affiliation of the faculty. About 90% of the teachers at the Islamic School in Enugu are Christian. And while they are normally allowed to practice their faith, these Christian teachers are daily confronted by an unusual but traditional tool of Moslem proselytism: They are paid a higher salary than public school teachers in an overt and non subtle attempt to entice them to the Islamic religion. 88 The school authorities were, understandably, unwilling to give the source of the school’s financial support; One of them could only acknowledge that it is funded by the “Moslem authorities.” The Chief Imam of Al Hudaa is Igbo; He was also on pilgrimage to Mecca during this research. His deputy is Yoruba. One of the Igbo Imams, Alhaji Okoro, 89 became a Moslem 20 years ago.

Two of the most prominent Igbo Moslems are Alhaji Abdulaziz Ude and Alhaji Yahaya Ndu. Ndu, the Presidential candidate of the African Renaissance Party (ARP), is from Ezeagu LGA in Enugu State. Another, Alhaji Isah Okonkwo, 90 is not well- known. An indigene of Akpugo in Nkanu LGA, Enugu State, he was lured into Islam as a member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC). He rose quickly, becoming the president of the Moslem Corpers Association in Kaduna State and the Moslem Corpers Association of Nigeria. Okonkwo was made the Chief Imam, University of Ibadan in the 1980’s. And there is Muhammed Okorie from Awgwu in Enugu State, who also became President of the Moslem Corpers Association of Nigeria. Sheik Adamu Abdullahi Idoko, from Nsukka, is the Chief Imam of the mosque at UNN. He was also on pilgrimage to Mecca during this research. Nsukka is the key base of Islamic expansionism in Igboland. 91[b] Alhaji Dauda Onyeagocha is the Chief Imam of the controversial Owerri main mosque, which is situated near the Government House. [/b] The resident Imam is Aminu Igwegbe; both are from Imo State. It is said that Senator Arthur Nzeribe is one benefactors of state’s Islamic community. He is alleged to have donated about N5 million toward the construction of the controversial mosque. 92

Another Igbo Muslim, Alhaji Obi Ike, 93 embraced the Islamic religion in order to “play them 419.” A former practicing Catholic, he became a Moslem and went on pilgrimage to Mecca in 1977, because he wanted to use his new religion to break into the Nigerian power structure, which is historically dominated by Moslems. Married to a woman from the Caliphate, he gained prominence in the Shagari administration, especially during the Sharia debate in the 1980’s. His marriage opened doors for him: He was awarded several contracts, which furnished him with resources to build and own hotels across the country. 94
Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Lagosboy: 9:01am On Mar 16, 2009
I guess osisi post rest the case. There are igbo muslims like there are yoruba muslims, chines muslims, arab muslims, Scottish muslims, french muslims et al.

We should be matured in reasoning and arguing. Islam transcends tribes and races and islam is not exclusive to any tribe. Christianity as well is not exclusive to any tribe, the main reason why the igbos anre predominantly christian is due to the missionary works of the 19th and 20th century. There were no active islamic propagation in the igbo land during this era and that is the obvious. 90% of people take the religion of their parents in Nigeria and that is a fact.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by forposting129: 7:58pm On Jun 25, 2015
Build your dream online! Get an e-Learning scholarship that worth $200,000 for FREE! >> http://www.forposting129..com/
Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by arabianights: 8:01pm On Jun 25, 2015
seeklove:
Igbos hate unnecessary shedding of blood. They respect and value human life. Even the ancients Igbos, before Christianity came, they respected human life and love peace. Christianity easily won over the Igbos because it is peaceful and respects human life, even the life of an enemy.

Those that think that Igbos have not been exposed to Islam are wrong. Igbos have long been exposed to it, even today Igbos all over the world are exposed to Islam. Sometimes muslims will even try to win converts by promising them riches. I know how many times they have tried to convert me, my friends, and etc. I know Igbos in the muslim countries, still they will never consider joining. A friend of mine happily lost a contract that would have been his, if only he accepted Islam. The few Igbos that pretend to be muslims only do it to get positions and contracts.

you might wish to delete the first paragraph as we are all nigerians here and know this is blatant lie.
are you serious? hate sheding blood indeed except if its for rituals in making money or rmed robbery abi?

please be realisitic and matured

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by bigfrancis21: 8:07pm On Jun 25, 2015
chukwudi44:
please am just being curious.Just wnt to find if igbo muslims exist am yet to see one

I think there is an Igbo muslim community somewhere in Kogi state or so. I read it one time on the internet.
Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by idu1(m): 8:24pm On Jun 25, 2015
babs787:

Similar story of a brother that did his NYSC in Enugu. He normally travelled far to observe Jumah prayer and when trying to pray at home, they would gather around him trying to know what he wanted to do.
yea...

That was how they converge to watch us when we were prayin salat in anambra state....

When we went to write a certain exam there...

2 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by ibrokola(m): 8:26pm On Jun 25, 2015
Jarus:

It is so because Islamic preaching efforts are not as strong in Igboland. Imagine this: A neighbour that went to serve in Enugu state said when he was performing ablution, the kids around were watching him, amazed at what he was doing i.e they had never seen somebody do that before. When he mentioned Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) to them, they didn't know who he was. Their best guess was 'Murtala Mohammed, former president. That is how ignorant they are about the message of Islam.

Those that heard about Islam and converted got to know about Islam when they travelled to West/North or overseas. I know one Igboman that heard about and accepted Islam in Dubai. A very high ranking executive in my company from Delta state, for example, is a Muslim and he finished from the University of Liverpool. He converted to Islam(and converted his mother too). I think he learnt about Islam and accepted in UK.
So true! I served in Okposi, Umuoghara, in Ebonyi State. Whenever I put on my white Jalabia to for Juma'at service on Friday( in the state capital), the whole community stared! It was strange to them...

4 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Afam4eva(m): 8:28pm On Jun 25, 2015
I was gonna ask a question along this line.

I have come across an Igbo muslim on facebook but never in real lifem. We need more Igbo Muslims. I think I'm tired of Igbo Christians.

5 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 25, 2015
bawomolo:

It can easily be argued Religious riots are more likely to happen in the North than in the East. Islam in the North has become radical.

Life. Bawomolo is now late.

1 Like

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by udeenz(m): 8:30pm On Jun 25, 2015
We have many Igbo muslim's in minna, in fact there are some igbo islamic preachers, that are preaching on NTA minna every sunday at 5 pm

1 Like

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by focus7: 8:30pm On Jun 25, 2015
Even the op, if one place a price on the deal and is good enough to him, he will deny whatsoever he claims he believes and proclaim islam now.
Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Afam4eva(m): 8:30pm On Jun 25, 2015
Jarus:

Life. Bawomolo is now late.
Those thugs just wasted the life of that young and promising young man.

2 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 25, 2015
Muslim kwa? Chukwu aju.

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by vision2050: 8:39pm On Jun 25, 2015
When I hear islam, my mind remind me of Bokoharam. Christ accept my soul.

30 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by superted87: 8:40pm On Jun 25, 2015
There are igbo muslims. my horologist is a Muslim (musa chukwu****) saw the name on the council receipt in his shop. a tebliq for that matter and his wife is veiled. .

3 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by TeamSimple(m): 8:47pm On Jun 25, 2015
scripture:
Igbo are not and cannot be muslims cos {{Islam}} does not make sense to the ordinary igboman.
Yeah you very correct. The same way christianity does not make sense to an ordinary hausa man.

6 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by darelar(m): 8:53pm On Jun 25, 2015
There's igbo Muslims. Here in bayelsa, we even have an igbo man as Imam in one of the central mosques in bayelsa. I have known him since 2004 and he's good preacher, you will enjoy him most whenever he anchor any programme or naming ceremony. He's Alh. Abusufia Uche

3 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Omotayor123(f): 8:55pm On Jun 25, 2015
babs787:

Similar story of a brother that did his NYSC in Enugu. He normally travelled far to observe Jumah prayer and when trying to pray at home, they would gather around him trying to know what he wanted to do.
True. I heard about it too.

Most of them believed that only Hausa's are Muslim.
Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by jcross19: 8:57pm On Jun 25, 2015
When we have a lots hausa reverend fathers, prophets, pastors and many more.

13 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Omotayor123(f): 8:57pm On Jun 25, 2015
seeklove:
Igbos hate unnecessary shedding of blood. They respect and value human life. Even the ancients Igbos, before Christianity came, they respected human life and love peace. Christianity easily won over the Igbos because it is peaceful and respects human life, even the life of an enemy.

Those that think that Igbos have not been exposed to Islam are wrong. Igbos have long been exposed to it, even today Igbos all over the world are exposed to Islam. Sometimes muslims will even try to win converts by promising them riches. I know how many times they have tried to convert me, my friends, and etc. I know Igbos in the muslim countries, still they will never consider joining. A friend of mine happily lost a contract that would have been his, if only he accepted Islam. The few Igbos that pretend to be muslims only do it to get positions and contracts.
undecided

1 Like

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by vedaxcool(m): 9:00pm On Jun 25, 2015
I pray all this subtle tribalism someone seems so interested in promoting on NL leads ultimately to his down fall.
Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by salisy: 9:01pm On Jun 25, 2015
muhsin:
Greetings,

Am sorry to go a bit off topic, but I would really like to say; Igbo people, among other Nigerian tribes, do hardly convert to Islam as far as I know. Any idea on why this is so? Thanks for your response(s).

Muhsin
Igbo ladies do convert in large number down north. It is very common in the. North

1 Like

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jun 25, 2015
Afam4eva:

I have come across an Igbo muslim on facebook but never in real lifem. We need more Igbo Muslims. I think I'm tired of Igbo Christians.

nna na wa 4 u oo angry,tufiakwa! chukwu ekwekwana ihe ojo

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by honeric01(m): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2015
Afam4eva:

You can convert na.

ifyalways on NL is a Muslim.

7 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Afam4eva(m): 9:09pm On Jun 25, 2015
honeric01:

You can convert na.

ifyalways on NL is a Muslim.
I'm not interested in converting. I just like a society that is cosmopolitan with a lot of mix.

Never knew Ify was a Muslim. I wonder why she never brought it up. Igbo Muslims should be proud of their religion.

3 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by honeric01(m): 9:15pm On Jun 25, 2015
Afam4eva:

I'm not interested in converting. I just like a society that is cosmopolitan with a lot of mix.

Never knew Ify was a Muslim. I wonder why she never brought it up. Igbo Muslims should be proud of their religion.

You don't want to practice what you preach lolz, funny you.

she brought it up, if not, i wouldn't have known.

but religion is personal and should be lived and not preached.

1 Like

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by yahrant140(m): 9:18pm On Jun 25, 2015
There are many igbo Muslims! especially, doing my schooling years in uniben, we do pray together at hostel mosque......
Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by abbas2(m): 9:19pm On Jun 25, 2015
All these are true. I served in Amanagu village of Arochukwu in Abia state. It was the same story. But let me quickly add that info had it that the idea that ibos kill and eat strangers kept the Muslim clerics away from the areas.

1 Like

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by heykims(m): 9:20pm On Jun 25, 2015
My Igbo neighbour in Ibadan is a Muslim.
Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by COOLDK(m): 9:21pm On Jun 25, 2015
When I look at Nigeria atimes, I just imagine and realise Nigeria is a sermon itself.
We are made up of different races, different people, different religion, different cultural orientation among others.
The Muslims dominate the North
The Christians dominate the East
The South and the West are mixed up of both religion.

Why is it like that? Nigeria is too complex of imaginations.

But I'm proud to be a practicing Muslim #Alhamdalillah

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Quran Says Bible Is A Book Of Reference For The Muslims / Does Erection Destroy Your Fasting? / ''Baby Born In Bauchi With Quran And Bead In His Hand'' - Rariya (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.