Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? (30846 Views)

The Unforgotten Yoruba Adekunle Fajuyi, Assassinated 50years Ago Today! / 100 Days From Today: What Nigerians Expect From Buhari / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by frisky2good(m): 8:43am On Jun 08, 2015
I remember him for being the "baddest thief ever liveth". For the first time in my life, I saw people celebrating someone's death on the streets like a carnival.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by bbjummy: 8:48am On Jun 08, 2015
His sunshade and tribal marks, also a movie that nollywood acted after his death. I don't recall the name of the movie though
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Omotayor123(f): 8:48am On Jun 08, 2015
Omoalhaja7:

Sani Abacha,  (born September 20, 1943, Kano, Nigeria—died June 8, 1998, Abuja), Nigerian military leader, who served as head of state (1993–98).

Abacha received his formal military training at Nigerian and British military training colleges. He rose through the ranks in the Nigerian military and by 1983 had achieved the rank of brigadier when he assisted Ibrahim Babangida in overthrowing Shehu Shagari, who had been elected to his second presidential term in 1983. Muhammad Buhari became Nigeria’s leader, but just two years later Babangida overthrew Buhari and installed himself as leader with Abacha second in command. Elections were held in 1993 and were won by Moshood Abiola, a candidate supposedly supported by Babangida, who, however, annulled the elections and set up a civilian interim government, which Abacha quickly overthrew.

Although Abacha promised a return to democracy, his actions were anything but democratic. He banned political activity of any kind, fired a large portion of the military, controlled the press, and assembled a personal security force of some 3,000 men. While he supported the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and its military arm, ECOWAS Monitoring Group (ECOMOG), in sending troops to restore democracy in Liberia and Sierra Leone, he brutally suppressed dissent at home. Abiola and Olusegun Obasanjo, a former military leader of Nigeria (1976–79), were jailed for treason. Wole Soyinka, Nigeria’s Nobel laureate, was also charged with treason, although he had voluntarily left the country. Perhaps Abacha’s most brutal act was the imprisonment, trial, and subsequent execution for treason of writer Ken Saro-Wiwa and other Ogoni activists who were concerned with the environmental exploitation of their region by multinational petroleum companies.

Abacha’s sudden death in June 1998 moved along the process of returning the country to civilian rule. His military successor, Abdusalam Abubakar, oversaw the return to an elected civilian government in 1999. After Abacha’s death, it was rumoured that he and his family had enriched themselves by some $3 billion, most of it held in European banks. In 2002 a settlement, which returned most of the money to the government in exchange for dropping criminal prosecution, was reached between the Obasanjo government and the Abacha family.

So, my fellow NL'ders, what do you remember him for?
OP I heard he died a Day to when he want to sell out Nigeria/Nigerian.

How true was that
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by dallyemmy: 8:53am On Jun 08, 2015
His Dark glasses!

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 8:53am On Jun 08, 2015
Calbarian:

I keep telling you to not smoke anything else besides cigarettes but you just won't listen. See yasef now undecided
mofo
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by sirdimo90: 8:54am On Jun 08, 2015
He strongly built the Aso Rock!
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by mmsen: 8:57am On Jun 08, 2015
Another useless northern leader.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 08, 2015
imprisoning abiola, killing kudirat and stealing nigeria's money.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by fm7070: 8:59am On Jun 08, 2015
Let's also remember him for
1. stability in petrol pump price @22 naira/litre for the whole 5 years he spent
2. stability in dollar exchange rate for same 5 years
Why many are talking ill about him is that he's dead and could not speak for himself
Is he worse than General Mohamodu Buhari, General Ibrahim Babangida as military ruler?

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Larrylarex(m): 9:00am On Jun 08, 2015
Because of fuel scarcity then people invented a sawdust powered stove it was called 'stove abacha' after the military tyrant. I remembered that he gave Nigerians the option of returning to democracy only if he would be allowed to contest the elections and metamorphosise from a military dictator to a civilian president come October 1, 1998. But God disposes his plans less than 4 months to fruition . in fact, many believed that still allow a transition come October. I was still a boy then but could vividly recall the joy i felt 17 years ago upon hearing from my palito earphones that Abacha is dead. I ran back home with a joyful heart to celebrate the good news with people at home cos i was sent on an errand but did not deliver it before running back. it was that bad then that even little children felt it. We're expecting Abiola 's mandate to be returned to him before the unfortunate incident that happened in 7/7/98. So sad
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by bankyblue(m): 9:00am On Jun 08, 2015
When he was ask by Popo in Abuja, 'Do u know that ur people re suffuring'? And he said 'am not aware if they are'
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 08, 2015
obayaya:

I'm here boss!!!

How far?

@Topic... Love or hate him.. General Sani Abacha understood the game of Thrones and he played the game like a real master.

He commanded no love but he had the loyalty of his men. He was unpredictable and feared. And that alone kept everyone in line.

He looted the country dry.. Yes.. But the Economy under him was better than the economy under his predecessors IBB and Buhari.

The history of Nigeria will never be complete without mentioning the Kano born General

Wtf are all these? Didn't mention you because of the topic,

I dey shout your name because Ara babes dun carry you go. 1diot! You dun forget your father ba?
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nickymezor(f): 9:05am On Jun 08, 2015
Keyana:
I remember people were jubilating when he died.
cheesy grin grin. Na so...wat an irony of life wink cool

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 08, 2015
He ran a closed market economy.
Dollars rallied bwt #60-#80.
Petrol was #11/liter.
He ditch the west for Asian tigers.
Failed bank tribunal.
PTF.
Obj,Abiola and senior Yaradua in prison.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by omartins(m): 9:08am On Jun 08, 2015
Creation of Ekiti State.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by boma95(f): 9:14am On Jun 08, 2015
Omoalhaja7:

Sani Abacha,  (born September 20, 1943, Kano, Nigeria—died June 8, 1998, Abuja), Nigerian military leader, who served as head of state (1993–98).

Abacha received his formal military training at Nigerian and British military training colleges. He rose through the ranks in the Nigerian military and by 1983 had achieved the rank of brigadier when he assisted Ibrahim Babangida in overthrowing Shehu Shagari, who had been elected to his second presidential term in 1983. Muhammad Buhari became Nigeria’s leader, but just two years later Babangida overthrew Buhari and installed himself as leader with Abacha second in command. Elections were held in 1993 and were won by Moshood Abiola, a candidate supposedly supported by Babangida, who, however, annulled the elections and set up a civilian interim government, which Abacha quickly overthrew.

Although Abacha promised a return to democracy, his actions were anything but democratic. He banned political activity of any kind, fired a large portion of the military, controlled the press, and assembled a personal security force of some 3,000 men. While he supported the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and its military arm, ECOWAS Monitoring Group (ECOMOG), in sending troops to restore democracy in Liberia and Sierra Leone, he brutally suppressed dissent at home. Abiola and Olusegun Obasanjo, a former military leader of Nigeria (1976–79), were jailed for treason. Wole Soyinka, Nigeria’s Nobel laureate, was also charged with treason, although he had voluntarily left the country. Perhaps Abacha’s most brutal act was the imprisonment, trial, and subsequent execution for treason of writer Ken Saro-Wiwa and other Ogoni activists who were concerned with the environmental exploitation of their region by multinational petroleum companies.

Abacha’s sudden death in June 1998 moved along the process of returning the country to civilian rule. His military successor, Abdusalam Abubakar, oversaw the return to an elected civilian government in 1999. After Abacha’s death, it was rumoured that he and his family had enriched themselves by some $3 billion, most of it held in European banks. In 2002 a settlement, which returned most of the money to the government in exchange for dropping criminal prosecution, was reached between the Obasanjo government and the Abacha family.

I know nothing to remember him about smiley
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by obayaya(m): 9:14am On Jun 08, 2015
Imanuelle:

Wtf are all these? Didn't mention you because of the topic,

I dey shout your name because Ara babes dun carry you go. 1diot! You dun forget your father ba?

Lol.. Ewu..

A ga na anu ara steady na...

But no amount of Ara can make me forget my father..

How are you doing?
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by nwadiuko1(m): 9:15am On Jun 08, 2015
The only thing I remember about him was that my dad and every other person within our vicinity called a party dat evening we heard he died
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Virus777: 9:21am On Jun 08, 2015
He was an assh0le, a tyrant and the most corrupt being on earth. I hope he's enjoying his stay in hell.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 9:31am On Jun 08, 2015
Only one Good thing.. He removed the Nation's deciding Power from the then Sultan of Sokoto.. By deposing him and enthroning another..
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 08, 2015
obayaya:

Lol.. Ewu..

A ga na anu ara steady na...

But no amount of Ara can make me forget my father..

How are you doing?

ñua ara, until ebiebi.

I'm good, you?
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by obayaya(m): 9:40am On Jun 08, 2015
Imanuelle:

ñua ara, until ebiebi.
I'm good, you?
I'm good..

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Spidermon: 9:45am On Jun 08, 2015
Assassinations and human rights violations....but to the common man, his regime was better than what we have now. Petrol was 11 naira and there wasnt this much agitation in the north.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by jeremiahmarcus9(m): 9:52am On Jun 08, 2015
Buy a bag of dangote cement obajana factory plant , kogi state @#1000. purchase a trailer load of DANGOTE CEMENT at a low factory price #1000 per bag. we deliver to any pary of the country upon the customer(s) order, Delivered to your door step.*product:DANGOTE CEMENT(50KG)*ORIGIN:DANGOTE FACTORY.PRICE PER BAG;#1000 NAIRA ONLY,*TRAILER LOAD QTY:600 OR 900 BAGS. DURATION of delivery after order:2days *Transportation cost:depends on distance or your state Contact us now to place your order *TELEPHONE :08063268251, 07085831027. *EMAIL :dangotecementfactoryobajana@gmail.com

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by starbulk214: 9:54am On Jun 08, 2015
loot.looter..lootest...
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 08, 2015
Hmmmmmmm!!!!..........

=N= 80.............to ..............$ 1

And

His 24 Hour DARK BOONS cool cool cool cool
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by probityprodigy(m): 9:57am On Jun 08, 2015
He was reputed for being crudely brutal , a cannobalist and monumental looter Of the Nigeria's national treasury.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by funlord(m): 9:59am On Jun 08, 2015
Omoalhaja7:

grin
Omoalhaja7:

I remember him to be a very unprofessional soldier, undemocratic in leadership,tyrannical, over ambitious, greedy and a very big looter of government funds! Shikena!
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by all4gud(m): 9:59am On Jun 08, 2015
He made Nigeria to have true independent
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by probityprodigy(m): 10:00am On Jun 08, 2015
He was reputed for being crudely brutal , a cannibalist and monumental looter Of the Nigeria's national treasury.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by ogb5(m): 10:01am On Jun 08, 2015
malbro:
ABACHA IS NOT CORRUPT... grin grin cheesy

Gospel according to Saint Buhari
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by EmmaAjayi(m): 10:02am On Jun 08, 2015
He created Ekiti State

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Murray-Bruce: "Nigeria Doesn't Need 36 Ministers, States", He Gets Epic Replies / Bukola Saraki Sacks 98 Aides / Obasanjo Thanks Buhari For Awarding 22 Modular Refinery Operational Licences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.