Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,305 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies (17315 Views)

Nigerian-British Student Designs A Cathedral With Cereal Boxes (Photos) / ND University Lady Tortured, Poisoned Over Refusal To Join Fraternity / What You Need To Know About Student Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by ronkebaby(f): 9:31pm On Sep 18, 2006
twinkledew

I applied from a country in Northern Europe!
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by VOR(m): 10:01am On Sep 19, 2006
Ronke

I actually used to work for the UKIS ((UK Immigration Service).

So I'd like to think I have a pretty good idea how these things work.
The success or failure of any appeal depends really on what the reasons
for your refusal were. You should have been given a notice setting these out in detail.
From my experience sometimes it is not even necessary to appeal, all you have to do is
submit a fresh application. For example if the embassy were not satisfied with the information
you provided about your financial ability to undertake the course, maybe you submitted photocopies,
and you now have the original documents they may well go ahead and grant you the visa anyway.The appeal
process does take time, months usually.

As for your intended visit. My opinion is that there is a high probability that it will be refused.
Each application for a visit visa is treated on its merits but given your previous student refusal
I would be highly surprised if it is granted to you. If you need any further advice. Let me have your e-mail.

GOOD LUCK.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by ronkebaby(f): 10:12am On Sep 19, 2006
VOR

You could pls reach me on omonaija2006@yahoo.com. It would be great to hear from you.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by VOR(m): 10:21am On Sep 19, 2006
Ronke

About to step out now, but I will try to catch you through your e-mail much later.
My initial advice though would be to appeal. Just complete the form and send it in.
You can always send in detailed grounds for your appeal later.

Can you quickly give me a flavour of why you were refused?
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by ronkebaby(f): 10:26am On Sep 19, 2006
yes VOR

1.They said the Nigerian bank's statement of account I submitted could not be verified from the country they operate i.e. the british embassy here
2. that my hubby is also a student and so the costs of both of us studying might be too much for us to bear
3. that i am not a permanent resident of the european country i applied from and would not be returning to the said country after the completion of my studies in the uk.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by VOR(m): 10:36am On Sep 19, 2006
Unfortunately, these reasons do not amount to a technicality which would make it worth you submitting a fresh application.
If you did it would be rejected.

The only option for you is to appeal.

As I said this takes time. Is you school willing to defer your admission to the next academic session?
I will contact you later through e-mail. But as I said, initially just submit skeleton grounds of appeal
you don't necessarily have to go into detail at this stage. Later you can submit detailed GOA(GROUNDS OF APPEAL)

Laterz
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by ronkebaby(f): 10:38am On Sep 19, 2006
Thanks VOR.
I would do just as you advised and yes the schl did agree to defer my admission.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by naworio: 10:51am On Sep 19, 2006
[b]My dear, I advise you to appeal right away. Understand that you have limited time to do so because am very sure it was stated in you the appeal form the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) gave to you that you have 28 days from the day you were refused entry to stay UK. But I must state categorically that appealing against the ECO's decision is not a guarantee of winning the appeal but it's the right thing to do. Although, it will take about 6 - 8 months to your appeal case to be decided. It's not going to affect your future visa application at any time. Note that in your appeal, you have to step by step counter all the objections raised by the ECO base on the supplied documents. I have been refused twice and I appealed but I my appeal was dismissed. In appealing, allow means you have won the appeal and dismiss means you lost the appeal. I wish you all the best.
Bennie.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by ronkebaby(f): 11:00am On Sep 19, 2006
naworio

thanks for your advise. and i am so sorry you did not win your appeal. so what are u going to do now? does it mean if your appeal is dismissed, you can't apply for a student visa again?
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by mrpataki(m): 11:27am On Sep 19, 2006
Good day,
At the mean while i would suggest you goahead with trying to renew your visit visa again. Even though i must say those embassy guys are quite erratic in their reasoning and behaviours to issues like this.
I have quite a lot of info at hand if you still desire to get more on how to go about it with them. But if you know you have a good ground to appeal and you have been given the right of appeal please do not hesistate to do that.
You can reach me on gp_tosin@yahoo.com
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by gbengaijot(m): 11:30am On Sep 19, 2006
Please do go on to appeal ooo.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by ronkebaby(f): 11:34am On Sep 19, 2006
mrpataki

i have just sent u a mail now. hope to read from u soon!!!
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by mm(m): 1:18pm On Sep 19, 2006
you can appeal if u ar financially bouyant to front a lawyer to represent u in the UK, if no,dont appeal. mm
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by bekus: 2:09pm On Sep 19, 2006
1. before anyone submits an application for any type of visa, ensure that you have as much as possible of what is reqd by the high commision. Things like, for a student visa, letter from the institution confirming admission, proof of means of payment of tuition fees and sustenance etc.
2. The problem is most instances relate to convincing them that you will come back after your study, that your course cannot be studied in your country at a cheaper rate, that you can pay for the course etc.
3. regarding payment for the course, quite a lot of us present statements of accounts that are not helpful - a statement that has a lump sum of some millions paid in some days to the date of the application will not convince them. also a statement that has sums of money that when converted would come to not much in pounds will not convince them.
4. if an application is refused, the best option , if you are sure of your papers, is to appeal. the appeal process takes time and except in an unusual emergency situation, will ordinarily not be rushed through just because the admission date is close, especially as they know the school can always defer the admission.
5. however if you are not sure of your papers or you are definitely sure they can't stand scrutiny, don't expect much from the appeal.
6. an alternative is to study their reasons for refusal and deal with that before submitting another application.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by mrpataki(m): 5:35pm On Sep 19, 2006
Please do let me know what the latest is, when you make trhe call hope you grab the gist. I wish you the best.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by blasterman(m): 6:36pm On Sep 19, 2006
if u are still keen on studying this term and have the money.u might have a chance,you can just apply again .and hav a fat account
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by Akolawole(m): 3:14am On Sep 20, 2006
@Ronkebaby

I got your mail and will reply you in few minutes

@All

Be careful of those immigration lawyers.

##Some sit in Lagos and file appeal against the ECO without backing it up with UK case studies, they know nothing.

## Some read law in London but have not gone through 2 years Solicitors trainning##

## Some are not even lawyers but a member of OISC which i will never consider to be a UK immigration lawyer.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by babe1(f): 3:40am On Sep 20, 2006
C'mon now, this is not the kind of thing u ask in a forum. Unless there is an attorney here, and one that is specialized in this kind of issue. Dude you need an advice from a lawyer please.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by ronkebaby(f): 8:13am On Sep 20, 2006
Akolawole
Your advise is noted. Thanks for the alert! Meanwhile, I have just sent you a mail too.

babe1
You can never tell when it comes to public forums like this. An attonery with experience in this kind of issue might just be a member of the forum or haven't u heard 'a problem shared is a problem solved'? Thanks all the same for ur concern!

mrpataki

Thanks always for those info!!!
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by VOR(m): 9:29am On Sep 20, 2006
Babe1

Not necessarily true.

If you have a bad case no lawyer can help you and it will amount to throwing
good money after bad.

If you have a good case then all you have to do is marshal your facts and put them
forward in a coherent and logical fashion, you don't have to be a lawyer to do that.

Furthermore, I know for a fact that most of the presenters acting for the UK government
at the appeal tribunals have no legal training as such. shocked shocked shocked

Ronke

As someone said, be careful in employing anyone to act on your behalf.
A lot of these so called immigration experts/lawyers are nothing but conmen.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by mrpataki(m): 2:35pm On Sep 20, 2006
To Akolawole:
Thanks for forums like nairaland where we can get to be more informed. I must add that you dont need to be an immigration lawyer, before you draft out an appeal. The main reasons why a lawyer is most appropiate is because they understand the technical terms that apply to the case concerned and have the adequate training over the space of years to put it out. You can as well draft out your own appeal irrespective of whether you are a lawyer or not, so far you understand the technicalities involved with it.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by blasterman(m): 5:46pm On Sep 20, 2006
why dont u study in northern europe, uk is saying they dont need more money from students.can u get the course else where in europe, i might be even cheaper,
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by ronkebaby(f): 10:18pm On Sep 20, 2006
blasterman:

why don't u study in northern europe, uk is saying they don't need more money from students.can u get the course else where in europe, i might be even cheaper,

I live in Northern Europe and even thou education is free here, it is not very easy getting an admission into their universities. And even if you do, then you have the language barrier to tackle. Finally, this might not really allow you to choose as it would limit your areas of study since just a few courses are offered in English.
I guess, this is why most Africans of English colonial history still feel more at home schling in England.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by babe1(f): 3:38am On Sep 21, 2006
VOR:

Babe1

Not necessarily true.

If you have a bad case no lawyer can help you and it will amount to throwing
good money after bad.

If you have a good case then all you have to do is marshal your facts and put them
forward in a coherent and logical fashion, you don't have to be a lawyer to do that.

Furthermore, I know for a fact that most of the presenters acting for the UK government
at the appeal tribunals have no legal training as such. shocked shocked shocked

Ronke

As someone said, be careful in employing anyone to act on your behalf.
A lot of these so called immigration experts/lawyers are nothing but conmen.

You still need a lawyer's advice regardless. Thats their job. I am not talking about good or bad case, i think you still need to talk to a lawyer period.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by blasterman(m): 7:35am On Sep 21, 2006
i understand what u are saying but there should be english speaking universities in europe.Maybe u havent heard of them.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by ronkebaby(f): 8:02am On Sep 21, 2006
blasterman:

i understand what u are saying but there should be english speaking universities in europe.Maybe u havent heard of them.

Nope, there is none except in the UK and Ireland. I think you probably know very little of Europe. Europe is very individulistic o, especially when it comes to language. Their languages differ depending on the country you are in. E.g the Germans speak german, Portugal-portuguese, France-French, Spain-spanish, Swedish-Swedish, Denmark-Danish, Finland-Finnish, Italy-Italian and so on. They all have different languages unlike Africa, where alongside our indigeneous languages also have one international language or another as part of their official languages becos of our colonial history under the rulership of these Europeans. That is why you would see some African countries speaking portuguese, some french, some English e.t.c. In European countries, English is not officially recognized as a language here o. Even thou most of their citizens understand English, they would rather speak to you in their own language. Only the friendly ones are nice enough to commune with you in English.
If you still don't get my gist, get online to find information about these European countries.
You would definitely get an English programme, but like I said earlier, it is not very common and those programmes might be restrictive since not all programmes are offered in English. So if you are unfortunate not to have your area of interest offered in English, then that is just it for you.
And lastly, there are no absolute English Universities in Europe except for UK and Ireland. That was a big misleading information you gave out there. At least I live here and should know better!!!
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by davidubong: 9:47am On Sep 21, 2006
ABEG SOME ONE SHOULD ADVICE ME OH.IAM APPLYING FOR VISA FOR THE UK.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by twinkledew(f): 4:13pm On Sep 21, 2006
They might want you to apply for a visa in your own country.

You can sue them. A friend of mine sue the Home Office recently but he applied in Nigeria and was rejected a Visa. if the Home Office goes to Court they have to pay more in other to avoid this they gave him the Visa. but bear in mind they rejected him for no reason other than saying that they belief he was not going to go back to Nigeria after his studies. they paid back his appication fees and lawyers fees.

Still wait and see what vi, can do. if not apply again from Nigeria. when u keep on applying and you get tired sue them.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by VOR(m): 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2006
Twinkledew,

You can apply for a UK visa from any country in which you are normally resident.
You don't have to return to your country of origin.

You cannot sue the Home Office for refusing you a visa. You can appeal against the refusal
and if this fails you might apply for what is called a judicial review. I doubt very much whether your friend
was issued a visa because he threatened to sue. It might well be they reviewed their decision in the light
of further evidence submitted.

And that they paid his lawyers fees? All I will say to that is hmmmmm.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by Akolawole(m): 4:05am On Sep 22, 2006
mrpataki:

To Akolawole:
Thanks for forums like nairaland where we can get to be more informed. I must add that you don't need to be an immigration lawyer, before you draft out an appeal. The main reasons why a lawyer is most appropiate is because they understand the technical terms that apply to the case concerned and have the adequate training over the space of years to put it out. You can as well draft out your own appeal irrespective of whether you are a lawyer or not, so far you understand the technicalities involved with it.

Thanks MrImportant.

Of Course, it is not compulsory to use immigration lawyers but how many people knows the meaning of GROUNDS OF APPEAL.

My friends, i have seen loads of the appeal papers of people written by them and Naija based Lawyers.

It was dissapointing. They just write Rubbish.

Even though previous UK Immigration decision(judgement) cannot rely on the principle of Judicial binding precedent but at least it is persuasive.

One or two previous judgment must be quoted.

@ALL

Not all Visa Refusals are Appealable .
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by VOR(m): 9:57am On Sep 22, 2006
[@ALL

Not all Visa Refusals are Appealable .
[quote][/quote]

True,

But in the main what we are talking about here is student visa refusals and all such decisions are appealable.
Re: Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies by CHOCHORI(m): 3:58pm On Sep 22, 2006
sorry, was a mistake and did read the message again after writing, the address is monddallars2k3@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Post-utme @ Ospoly Iree / For The First Time In History,unilorin Produces 89 First Class Graduates In 2017 / Brief History Of Children’s Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.