Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,399 members, 7,815,871 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every - Sports (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every (100789 Views)

Dead Referee 'Appointed' To Officiate Nigerian League Match / Enyimba Wins The Nigerian League For A Record 7th Time / Nigerian League Best 11 Of All Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (78) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 11:25am On Oct 15, 2010
Liberty stadium partners 3SC

In a bid to meet up with Nigeria Premier League, NPL directive on television friendly pitches for 2010/2011 premier league season, the management of Shooting Stars Sports Club of Ibadan has entered an agreement with Liberty stadium Ibadan to use the ground for the new season if the league body gives its approval.

The stadium management under the south-west Zonal coordinator, Mr Steve Olarinoye finally approved the use of the stadium for 3SC for the new season campaign billed to start October 23.

Reports gathered confirmed that both the training and playing pitch has been approved and agreements for securities are also reached during the match.

The Oluyole warriors played half of last season fixtures at the Liberty Stadium before returning to their home ground, Lekan Salami, Adamasigba stadium with a draw against league champions Eyimba FC.

It was gathered that the poor standard of the home ground, Lekan Salami, Adamasigba stadium led Nigeria Premier League to ban the stadium for league actions.

New league comer, Crown FC of Ogbomoso, Sunshine Stars of Akure are to play their home league fixtures at Ilaro stadium and Ijebu-Ode International stadium in Ogun state respectively, while Kwara United may play their home matches at Liberty Stadium.
npl.com.ng

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 11:31am On Oct 15, 2010
New coaches in the Premier League
Clubs

Coaches

Crown Ganiyu Salami
Kwara Utd Kadiri Ikhana
Plateau Utd Nduka Ndubuisi
Warri Wolves Frank Aigbogun
Players Movement
Name

From

To
Manir Ubale Bayelsa Kano Pillars
Uche Ogwuchi Dolphins Rangers
Chibuzor Okonkwo Bayelsa Heartland
Bassey Akpan Bayelsa Sunshine
Gabriel Reuben Enyimba Pillars
Ahmed Musa Pillars VVV Venlo
Monday Osagie Rangers Sunshine
Uche Nwafor 3SC Rangers
Emma Nwachi Dolphins Heartland
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 11:57am On Oct 15, 2010
Rangers attracts top players

Rangers of Enugu is striving to get the best for the coming season and has attracted top players from various club sides in the country.

Sports Compass can confirm that the players are happy with their discussion with the management of the team over a good contract.

Chief Executive Officer of the club, Ozor Paul Chibuzor said he is satisfied with the quality of players in Enugu.

“For the new season, we can boast of a very dedicated set of players that are willing to spill their blood for the club. With the likes of Francis Okammor, Uche Oguchi, Uche Ugochukwu, James Okwosah, John Aguda and a host of other new players working with the retained players, I don’t have any doubt that we will come tops in the coming season.

“I must tell you that Rangers is very much ready to reclaim all its lost glory this coming season. We have learnt our lessons from last season which to some extent, have to be celebrated because, for a long while, Rangers have not had the opportunity of playing teams from outside our shores and with our fifth place finish, our fans can enjoy some sort of international football when next season’ WAFU cup starts,” said the soft spoken Rangers boss.

Speaking further, Chibuzor said, “I can tell you that as I talk, only two players are yet to sign the contract papers with us and it is because they are in the senior national team. So, we are ready to give Enyimba a run for the trophy they won last season.”

On reports making the rounds that players were not willing to sign for the club and that he was not in the good books of the club’ sole financier, the club boss said, “There is no iota of truth in that as I can conveniently tell you that 98% of players that we need for the new season have all signed for us and for all the noise that the club’ supporters want me out, I term that the handiwork of the club’ detractors that are operating within the club. But, for some few selfish individuals that are self-seeking, we are an organized group that has one goal of leading Rangers to the promise land this season.”

On the players and coaches entitlements, I have had fruitful talks with the state SSG and before the start of the new season, the backlog of dues owed will be settled with something for the new season also offset. Also, the technical crew led by Alphonsus Dike, that has done marvellously well will continue the good work of leading Rangers to the glory land,” enthused the former U.S based club administrator.

npl.ng.com

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2010
Chinwo joins Dolphins

Former Dolphins boy, Kennedy Chinwo has returned to Port Harcourt to team up with the side he won the League and Cup double with in 2004.

Chinwo was amongst players dropped by Heartland about three weeks ago and was rumoured to have joined Kwara United but he denied that he ever had any plans of going to Ilorin.

“I am in Port Harcourt and want to play for my home town club. Stanley (Eguma) is also like a father to me and I will be very happy if I can play under him.

“It has really been long since I won any honour in football and I also know it has been sometime since Dolphins won too so I believe I can also contribute to bring glory to the club and get some personal glory too,” Chinwo said.

After helping Dolphins to the final of the CAF Confederation Cup in 2005, Chinwo moved to Moldova and returned last year to join Heartland.

npl.ng.com
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 12:21pm On Oct 15, 2010
Osagie threatens to quit Nigerian league

Former junior international and Enyimba of Aba attacker, Junior Osagie, has threatened to quit the round leather game in Nigeria.

Osagie said he will carry out his threat t if the harsh economic condition that is prevailing in most club sides in the country is not addressed.

In an exclusive chat with www.npl.com.ng, the aggressive goal poacher who notched seven goals in all competitions for the Aba elephants in the ended season said that there was no way for him to continue playing since most clubs lack motivation for the players.

“My brother, I am really thinking of hanging my boots since I don’t have the luxury of having my entitlements paid as and when due.

“Can you imagine that for the past two seasons, I have not got my entitlements paid fully by my employer, Enyimba, and I can’t continue in that stead,” stated the Edo born ball juggler.

Osagie, whose twin brother is plying his trade with a Spanish third division side further said, “As it is now, I just want to be left alone to contemplate my future in the game.

“If I don’t see any improvement in player’s welfare from the clubs, I will just have to call it quits with the game I love with much passion.”
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 12:33pm On Oct 15, 2010
[b]Osagie threatens to quit Nigerian league[/b]

Dolphins are gradually adjusting to life after former chief coach, Ndubuisi Nduka moved to Plateau United.

In the last 3 seasons, the coaching heirachy at the club had been Stanley Eguma- Manager, Ndubuisi Nduka- Chief coach, John Apollo- Assistant coach 1, Ken Chuku- Assistant coach 2, George Onyenekwe- goalkeeper coach.

Since Nduka's departure, John Apollo has been acting as chief coach even if no official appointment has been made.

It is not clear yet whether the Rivers State government, owners of the club will appoint a chief coach from outside the ranks or if they will upgrade one of the existing coaches.

Manager, Stanley Eguma however seems comfortable with Apollo in the short time Nduka has been away.

Incidentally, week 1 fixtures originally put Dolphins up against Nduka's Plateau United before the recent changes in composition of the Premier League.

npl.ng.com
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 12:37pm On Oct 15, 2010
Dolphins adjust to life after Nduka

Dolphins are gradually adjusting to life after former chief coach, Ndubuisi Nduka moved to Plateau United.

In the last 3 seasons, the coaching heirachy at the club had been Stanley Eguma- Manager, Ndubuisi Nduka- Chief coach, John Apollo- Assistant coach 1, Ken Chuku- Assistant coach 2, George Onyenekwe- goalkeeper coach.

Since Nduka's departure, John Apollo has been acting as chief coach even if no official appointment has been made.

It is not clear yet whether the Rivers State government, owners of the club will appoint a chief coach from outside the ranks or if they will upgrade one of the existing coaches.

Manager, Stanley Eguma however seems comfortable with Apollo in the short time Nduka has been away.

Incidentally, week 1 fixtures originally put Dolphins up against Nduka's Plateau United before the recent changes in composition of the Premier League.

npl.ng.com
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 12:40pm On Oct 15, 2010
3SC to unveil players next week

As part of her tradition before the commencement of every new season, Shooting Stars of Ibadan will next week unveil the newly recruited players with the old on ground. It was gathered that Kabiru Alausa, Afeso Attah from Sunshine, Yussuf Babatunde from Kwara United, Seun Falodun and Uche Henry who left the club to the current league champions, Eyimba FC last season are parts of the players on list to be unveiled.

The event which is likely to hold at the club house at Jericho only welcomes invited journalists from in and out the country.

General Manager of the club, Mutiu Adepoju told NPL official website that the team will be battle ready next season.

“We have corrected all our mistakes noticed last season. From the first game, we are going to take the Premier League very serious because we also want to win the trophy.

“I want to assure our supporters that they should expect the best this season,” Adepoju boasted.

npl.ng.com
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 12:43pm On Oct 15, 2010
Tornadoes says Salami can go

Nigeria Premier League (NPL) side, Niger Tornadoes, have declared that they are willing to listen to prospective clubs willing to sign on Eugene Salami.

Chairman of the club, David Suleiman, said they are ready to open talks with rival sides in the Premier League willing to pay the asking price for the striker, who has been Tornadoes’ top scorer in the past two seasons.

Suleiman, a former executive member of the Nigeria Football Association (now Nigeria Football Federation), is also hoping that Niger Tornadoes can keep the 21-year-old striker for the 2010/2011 season, which kicks off this weekend.

“We want to keep all of our players especially the ones that did well last season. But this is always difficult when there are offers from other sides. In the case of Eugene Salami we want to keep him for the coming season, but if another club comes with the right fee then we will do business,” said Suleiman.

But the Niger Tornadoes’ chief added that his side will include a clause in the deal with any Nigerian club that eventually signs the player.

“Of course we will allow him go for the fee that we think is right. But there will be a clause in the contract that will also allow Niger Tornadoes earn money if he eventually gets a club abroad,” he disclosed.

npl.ng.com
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by dubainaija: 9:30pm On Oct 15, 2010
NPL Players Team List

I was wondering if any of you can help answer a couple of questions.

[list]
[li]Does the NPL collect and maintain a list of all the players from each of the 20 teams, all season?
[/li]

[li]If it does, does any one know who I need to contact to get access to that list? I called the NPL number several times, and got no reply.[/li]

[/list]

Thanks!
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by Cappadona123: 11:21pm On Oct 15, 2010
Kabiru Alausa, Afeso Attah,Yussuf Babatunde,Seun Falodun all play for fatai amoo when he was in Julius Berger
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 9:25am On Oct 16, 2010
dubainaija:

NPL Players Team List

I was wondering if any of you can help answer a couple of questions.

[list]
[li]Does the NPL collect and maintain a list of all the players from each of the 20 teams, all season?
[/li]

Yes they do, all season? that i can't say, they just started about 5 years ago, so i really can't say if it's all season or not.

dubainaija:

[li]If it does, does any one know who I need to contact to get access to that list? I called the NPL number several times, and got no reply.[/li]

[/list]

Thanks!

Yes, you can contact Emeka Nwani, switch to sport splash every weekdays from 9am-10am (LTV), he's often on that show, he's the media spokesman of the NPL, he should have more answers to your questions.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 11:43pm On Oct 16, 2010
Bayelsa exchange N200m debt for free transfer

Posted: 2010-10-15 12:58

Bayelsa United players are negotiating free transfers from the club in lieu of unpaid wages totalling nearly N200m owed to them by the club.

Bayelsa are mired in debt to players, including one hundred and seventy percent of unpaid sign on fees spanning two seasons, a full season of unpaid match bonuses from both league and continental exertions, and unpaid salaries of nearly one full season.

Unable to secure their money, at least eight top players, keen on leaving the club, have collected their clearance papers and will now join other Premier League clubs on free transfers.

Goalkeeper Bassey Akpan and defender Chibuzor Okonkwo have concluded deals with Heartland.

Akpan, for instance, claims to be owed N9.6 million in total, while Okonkwo says he is owed nearly N8 million.

"It is the same thing with other players. And they said they are not prepared to pay, so we decided that the best thing was to come to an agreement and collect our clearance papers so that we can be free to join other clubs," Akpan told kickOffNigeria.com.

Other players who have negotiated their release are Ahmed Kadiri, Martin Ojobo, Bernard Okorowanta, Osas Okoro, Kola Awe and Michael Andrew.

More players are still negotiating with the club, who have been relegated from the Premier League to the National First Division.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18288/bayelsa-exchange-n200m-debt-for-free-transfer.php

where is that silly baribote? he didn't pay players for 2 seasons, yet he's fighting for NPL chairmanship, GOD punish Devil angry
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by dubainaija: 7:29am On Oct 17, 2010
@honeric01, thanks a lot for the info. Will try to get in touch with him. Much appreciated.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 3:36pm On Oct 17, 2010
^^^^^

You are welcome.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by medjai(m): 7:13am On Oct 21, 2010
League resumption date postponed yet again
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 9:51am On Oct 21, 2010
NPL explains Owumi "arrest"

Posted: 2010-10-21 10:27

The Nigeria Premier League have explained that chairman Davidson Owumi was not arrested by the EFCC on Wednesday, but invited to answer questions

"First, Mr Owumi was never handcuffed as being reported in a section of the media, as he was preparing to meet other board members of the NPL on the said morning when two men from the commission came in.

"The men from the commission requested that the presence of the NPL chairman was needed at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja, which he obliged politely.

"Mr Owumi was later released after he was interrogated by the commission based on allegations filed against him by Barrister Nnaji.

"He spent 45 minutes at the headquarters of the commission," the NPL statement read.

EFCC spokesman Femi Babafemi described the development as a routine process of interrogation.

"He was picked this morning in Abuja for questioning. It was just a routine question-and-answer session. That's why we released him after interrogating him," said the EFCC spokesman.

Owumi later presided over the meeting of the board at the headquarters of the Nigeria Premier League.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18385/nigeria-premier-league-kick-off-suspended.php
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 10:00am On Oct 21, 2010
[size=13pt]League kick-off suspended[/size]

Posted: 2010-10-21 10:30

This weekend's Nigeria Premier League kick-off has been suspended following the inability of the NFF to provide match officials for the games.

A statement from the NPL said the league was 'put on hold on the strength of the NFF's letter stating that all NFF's Committees including the Referees Appointment Committee have been dissolved'.

According to NFF Statutes, the responsibility for appointing match officials falls within the purview of the NFF, and that responsibility lies with the NFF's Referees Committee.

But with the Board still in limbo, pending the withdrawal of the court case instigated by NANF, the secretariat have been unable to assume the responsibility.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18385/nigeria-premier-league-kick-off-suspended.php
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 11:59am On Oct 22, 2010
Coachless Gombe eye Ogbe

Posted: 2010-10-21 10:44

With barely days to the kick-off of the new season, Premier League club Gombe United are still without a substantive coach.

Ben Duamlong resigned at the end of the last campaign and a replacement has yet to be named.

Officials told KickOffNigeria.com that at least five coaches had applied for the position, including one Ghanaian, but a decision will not be made before Friday.

Among the candidates for the job are veteran coaches Zachary Baraje, Godfrey Esu and Bernard Ogbe.

KickOffNigeria.com understands that Ogbe is the favoured candidate for the post and will be named, barring any last minute hitches.

Assistant coach Manu Garba has been training the team in preparation for the new season.

Gombe host Heartland in their opening game of the season.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/18386/coachless-gombe-united-eye-bernard-ogbe.php
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 3:03pm On Oct 22, 2010
Anger over NPL postponement

Players and officials of Nigeria Premier League clubs have reacted to the news that the 2010/2011 season has been postponed for the third time.

A communiqué released by the Premier League on Wednesday night in Abuja stated that it had decided to suspend the kick off date based on the dissolution of the all committees of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF). The dissolution also affects the referees’ appointment committee, which is responsible for the placement of match officials for Premier League games.

The news hit most of the players and club officials like a body blow. Ten matches were scheduled to be decided this weekend but they all appear set to be called off following the latest development. SuperSport.com spoke to a cross section of players and officials on the development.

“I am at a loss for words,’ Abayomi Olorunda, goal keeper of Plateau United of Jos said. “I was already primed for action this weekend and to hear that the league has been put on hold again yet again is quite heart breaking. We must put a stop to this or else people will stop taking us seriously,” he said.

Club officials were also not left out in the tale of woes. Media Chief of Port Harcourt, Confidence Idaa said the losses for clubs, officials, players, sponsors and even fans will be almost unquantifiable. He stated that even those not directly involved with football will suffer greatly as a result of the inactivity in the domestic scene.

“Players get a chance to show what they can do only when they have a chance to play. Let’s face it, the conditions in the European leagues are better than what we have here and most players will give an arm to have a chance to play in Europe. We also have to understand that the economic terrain here is hard: most of the players are bread winners and only a good contract with a European club will guarantee some joy for the dependents of these players.

All these will be lost if the players don’t get to play. Officials, players, sponsors and even fans suffer albeit to a lesser degree when the domestic game is comatose,” he said.

A food vendor who set up a temporary shack close to the Port Harcourt Liberation, home of Premier League side, Dolphin, said things were hard for her because of the situation.

“Business is painfully slow. Sales have dropped quite drastically and since I depend on proceeds from my sales to take care of my six children, you can imagine how bleak things have looked for us,” said the middle-aged lady popularly known as Mama Bisi.

“I am appealing to all those big people to help us. Let them start the league, we are begging them. A lot of livelihoods are on the line here,’ she said.

It is still unclear when the new season will get underway.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101021/Anger_over_NPL_postponement
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by medjai(m): 4:28pm On Oct 22, 2010
Ogbemudia Stadium gets new turf

The Governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole, on Wednesday, commissioned the FIFA-standard 2-Star turf of the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, in Benin City.

Present at the commissioning were former members of Nigeria’s senior national football team, the Super Eagles, including Daniel Amokachi and Austin Okocha. Oshiomhole had noted at the inception of his administration the pitch and other facilities at the stadium were dilapidated and given their condition could not attract international matches. “Stakeholders, football administrators and players were unanimous that we needed to have a completely new pitch,” he said. “This new pitch is not only beautiful; it is user-friendly and minimizes the potentials of injuries to footballers.” The governor restated the commitment of his administration to the revival of sports and football in the state. “Our performance in sports has long been a heritage of Edo State, we have produced sporting administrators and legends,” he said. He appealed to the private sector to assist the state government in its quest to restore the lost sports glory of the state.

Showering praise

Speaking on behalf of the players, Amokachi said: “We know who you are and what you are doing in Edo State. When I landed at the airport this morning, I saw the massive road development you are working on. This turf is another testimony of what you are doing. I pray God to grant you the strength to conclude the good works you are doing.” Okocha also described Oshiomhole as “an active governor with a vision and a mission.”

Earlier, the Edo State Commissioner for Sports, Anita Evbuomwan, said the construction of the pitch is one of the most important developments in the state, stressing the determination of the Oshiomhole’s administration to develop sporting infrastructure for the use of professional and amateur sportsmen and women. The high point of the ceremony were two novelty matches. The first was between the executive arm of government, captained by Oshiomhole versus the State House of Assembly, captained by Bright Omokhodion; while the second involved former Eagles and Bendel Insurance FC.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Football/5633402-147/ogbemudia_stadium_gets_new_turf_.csp

Insurance for life
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 11:16pm On Oct 22, 2010
^^^^^

I wish my team got the promotion ticket, imagine what this stadium would have added to the beauty of the NPL, see the useless crown fc won come qualify, dem no even get stadium angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by dominique(f): 12:46am On Oct 23, 2010
^^^ eeyah sorry.
When is the new kick-off date sef? dis una league tire me o.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by Ijeleigbo(m): 5:27am On Oct 23, 2010
How much do players in the Nigerian league earn?
Are they paid weekly or monthly?
Make una no mind my question abeg. I'm only a newbie here.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by medjai(m): 10:06am On Oct 23, 2010
they get paid monthly. Some earn as much as 80,000
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by dominique(f): 12:03pm On Oct 23, 2010
I think richer clubsides like enyimba or heartland can afford to pay player up to 200 - 300 ,000 per month. I hear some teams don't even pay their players regularly albeit the low wages. The govt should just hands off these clubs and let them source for their own funds themselves.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by Ijeleigbo(m): 7:45pm On Oct 23, 2010
what of the first and second division clubs? Do their players get paid at all??
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 10:19pm On Oct 23, 2010
dominique:

^^^ eeyah sorry.
When is the new kick-off date sef? dis una league tire me o.

which league are u talking about? abeg it's not worth mentioning angry

Ijele-igbo:

How much do players in the Nigerian league earn?
Are they paid weekly or monthly?
Make una no mind my question abeg. I'm only a newbie here.

New NPL puts minimum wages at 100k, lets wait to see if it's achievable or not.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by FBS: 2:47pm On Oct 24, 2010
9ja I hail Thee.
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 3:04am On Oct 26, 2010
Sharks leave for Ivory Coast

Sharks FC of Port Harcourt will leave the shores of Nigeria for the Ivory Coast ahead of their second leg, third round Wafu Cup clash against Stella Club d’Adjame of the Ivory Coast on Monday night.

The Sharks contingent will leave Nigeria via the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos aboard an Air Nigeria flight.

The contingent is made up of 29 people. Eighteen players and four coaches are part of the contingent. Five of the players were on duty for the Flying Eagles on Saturday against Mauritius in an AYC qualifier but Coach of Sharks; John Obuh says fatigue will not be an issue.

“The boys will be fired up so I don’t think tiredness will be an issue on Wednesday,” Obuh told SuperSport.com.

“We are focused on getting a good result in the game. Even though we won the first leg five-nil, I have told my boys that they cannot afford to underrate these Ivoirians. They played very well in the first leg in Port Harcourt and only lost by that margin because things became complicated when they adopted wrong tactics.

"They thought they could play safe in the first leg and finish us off in the second leg but my boys capitalised and scored five goals,” Obuh said.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101025/Sharks_leave_for_Ivory_Coast
Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 3:06am On Oct 26, 2010
Stella promise Sharks hell

Players of Stella Club d’Adjame, Abidjan of the Ivory Coast are still upbeat about their chances of overturning their first leg five-nil defeat against Sharks in their third round Wafu Cup decider on Wednesday.

The Ivorians were crushed five-nil in the first leg but they are still upbeat about their chances in the return leg on Wednesday. Holding midfielder, Couliby Fousenny said Sharks were lucky to win by such a wide margin in the first leg, noting that they Port Harcourt side seemed to score each time they attacked in the first leg.

“We did not play badly,” Fousenny told SuperSport.com.

“They scored every time they go forward and we defend bad but we play well in Abidjan for second leg,’ he said.

Founded in 1953, Stella is one of the better supported clubs in the Ivory Coast. They have won the domestic title on three occasions (1979, 1981 and 1984).They were also winners of the Ivoirian Cup on two occasions (1974 and 1975) as well as the CAF Cup in 1993.

The club is a fusion between Red Star, Etoile d'Adjamé and US Bella. They play their home games at the Stade Robert Champroux where twenty thousand screaming fans will create a cauldron of hate and noise for the visiting Nigerians on Wednesday but striker, Victor Ezeji is not perturbed.

“We are prepared for anything. We have too many experienced players to be bothered by such things. Don’t forget that I have played in some of the most hostile stadiums in Africa during my days with Enyimba and Club Africain of Tunisia, We will qualify for the next round after the game on Wednesday” he said.

The game will be played at 5pm on Wednesday.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101025/Stella_promise_Sharks_hell

Re: Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every by honeric01(m): 3:17am On Oct 26, 2010
'No victor, no vanquished in football crisis'

Respected football instructor, Adegboye Onigbinde, believes that the crisis rocking the football industry in Nigeria will leave the game to suffer if solutions are not found over the matter.

He told SuperSport.com that though the National Association of Nigerian Footballers (Nanf) withdrew its court suit against the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) on Monday, it leaves all warring factions in the fight for the soul of football in the country on same pedestal.

Onigbinde believes that it is the game in the country that has been battered by the prolonged dispute.

"It is a case of no victor, no vanquished as it stands. It is Nigeria's football that has suffered for it because it has been battered, bruised and injured by what has happened in the past weeks," the former Super Eagles head coach said.

The Modakeke High Chief pointed to the Super Eagles' loss to Guinea in a 2012 African Cup of Nations qualifier and the uncertainty over the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) commencement as examples from which the football industry has suffered as a result of the crisis.

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) instructor also believes that the crisis has left the country's football image with a big question dangling on it.

“What has happened in the past is quite unfortunate considering the fact that it has affected our football. For instance, the league cannot start as a result of all this problem and then the senior national team few days ago went to Guinea and struggled there. So if we say what is happening does not have a rippling effect on the game, then we are only still not ready to make corrections or find solution to the whole quagmire on ground.

“Do you think that after all of this crisis that the image of the country’s football will be highly regarded considering what has befallen it in the past few days? Indeed, the image has been dented and it will take quite a while for things to get back to the peaceful nature and that is dependent on the different football groups in the country,” said Onigbinde, who is on the Fifa technical and development committee

Onigbinde is of the view that the withdrawal of the court suit is welcomed but feels the path of a peaceful resolution should be extended beyond the out-of-court settlement.

He wants all aggrieved groups in the whole saga to dialogue and present their positions on developing the game rather than tear apart the structure on ground.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101025/No_victor_no_vanquished_in_football_crisis

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (78) (Reply)

Tyson Fury Wore 'Nigeria' Gumshield In Match With Wilder. Taunts Anthony Joshua? / Emenike Displays Ojukwu, Okwaraji, Yekini, Keshi's Pictures In His Mansion / The Look On Anthony Joshua's Face After Ruiz Jr Knocked Him Out. Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.