Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage (1619 Views)

Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal / Any Issues Changing From Fuel Pump To Carburetor System? / Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by abidemidare: 10:40pm On Jun 16, 2015
Why my Honda EOD 2004 V6 fuel always dropped from fuel gauge after parking and start it for some hours. I noticed it when it's on(e.g) half or full tank and start it after few hours the fuel gauge would drop. Gurus in the house, pls I need ur advice on how to rectify the problem.

Thank you and God bless
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by makavele: 11:41pm On Jun 16, 2015
spirits are driving ur car grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by chillex8(m): 12:20am On Jun 17, 2015
so you don't want your fuel gauge to drop at all
in my opinion, I say your gauge is working perfectly.
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by Denn(m): 8:12am On Jun 17, 2015
Check for vapour leaks around the tank area....broken or rusty evap lines.

Check for poor fuel pump gasket seals.

A tank not sealed properly will allow for evaporation.

Remember, petrol is called gas in some countries....it has a reason
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by nurey(m): 9:50am On Jun 17, 2015
the guy says his fuel guage drops drastically, he may have chk engine light on, with many codes as long as the Geneva convention let him scan his car if and only if he has a chk engine light on and fix the intending issues on his engine.

1 Like

Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by makavele: 9:13pm On Jun 17, 2015
Denn:
Check for vapour leaks around the tank area....broken or rusty evap lines.

Check for poor fuel pump gasket seals.

A tank not sealed properly will allow for evaporation.

Remember, petrol is called gas in some countries....it has a reason

Point of correction: It's called gas; short for GASOLINE !
This doesn't mean your regular air , liquid and gas ! Nope. petrol is not a gas , it is liquid . .
most forms of liquids vaporise when exposed to air . . only that some do it very slowly e.g water
and some do it very quickly e.g alcohol

1 Like

Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by Denn(m): 4:55am On Jun 18, 2015
makavele:

Point of correction: It's called gas; short for GASOLINE !
This doesn't mean your regular air , liquid and gas ! Nope. petrol is not a gas , it is liquid . .
most forms of liquids vaporise when exposed to air . . only that some do it very slowly e.g water
and some do it very quickly e.g alcohol

Gas of a kind suitable to be burnt for illuminating or heating purposes; originally = coal-gas n., but now including (a) various artificial mixtures consisting chiefly of carburetted hydrogen, and distinguished by defining words indicating the source from which they are obtained, as water-gas, oil-gas, etc.; and (b) = natural gas n.).
Then, the ol suffix indicated that they were using an oil-based form:

Forming the names of oils and oil-derived compounds (in systematic use in Chem. now replaced by -ole suffix2), as benzol, furfurol, indol (now usually indole), myrrol, pyrrol (now usually pyrrole).
Then the chemical suffix ene or ine was added. So gasoline, when broken down into its parts, perfectly describes what petroleum is: an oil form of a natural gas. The Oxford English Dictionary writes that the first usage of gasolene was in 1865, and was already being used to refer to what the UK call petrol.

"Gasoline--sometimes, but incorrectly, called naphtha--is one of the lighter products obtained during the distillation of crude petroleum. The nature of the substance is such that it slowly changes to a vapor, or gas , at ordinary temperatures, and if left in an open vessel soon entirely disappears by evaporation."

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/39778/why-does-gasoline-have-the-word-gas-in-it-if-its-never-gaseous

emphasis mine.

petrol or gasoline is in liquid form but slowly changes to gas at room temp. A car left in the sun has an ambient temp higher than room temp.

in simple terms, petrol evaporates in hot temps....and leaks out from leaky tanks
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by honmusa(m): 5:56pm On Jun 18, 2015
Denn:

Gas of a kind suitable to be burnt for illuminating or heating purposes; originally = coal-gas n., but now including (a) various artificial mixtures consisting chiefly of carburetted hydrogen, and distinguished by defining words indicating the source from which they are obtained, as water-gas, oil-gas, etc.; and (b) = natural gas n.).

Forming the names of oils and oil-derived compounds (in systematic use in Chem. now replaced by -ole suffix2), as benzol, furfurol, indol (now usually indole), myrrol, pyrrol (now usually pyrrole).
Then the chemical suffix ene or ine was added. So gasoline, when broken down into its parts, perfectly describes what petroleum is: an oil form of a natural gas. The Oxford English Dictionary writes that the first usage of gasolene was in 1865, and was already being used to refer to what the UK call petrol.

"Gasoline--sometimes, but incorrectly, called naphtha--is one of the lighter products obtained during the distillation of crude petroleum. The nature of the substance is such that it slowly changes to a vapor, or gas , at ordinary temperatures, and if left in an open vessel soon entirely disappears by evaporation."

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/39778/why-does-gasoline-have-the-word-gas-in-it-if-its-never-gaseous

emphasis mine.

petrol or gasoline is in liquid form but slowly changes to gas at room temp. A car left in the sun has an ambient temp higher than room temp.

in simple terms, petrol evaporates in hot temps....and leaks out from leaky tanks
Latifah oo, abeg find me shair I wan siddon dey watch series o ... cool cool cool
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by makavele: 10:55pm On Jun 18, 2015
Denn:

emphasis mine.

You just copied n pasted stuffs you understand not . . . Without mincing words. .
define liquid . . . a liquid is a form of matter that flows, are not held tightly by their respective bonds and can take the shape of any container . .
define gas . . a form of matter that are not held at all by their respective bonds, cannot be seen, some can be smelt, others cannot be smelt, and exert pressure on the walls of their container

define solid . . a form of matter held tightly by the individual bonds, takes its own predefined shape?

can you drink gasoline? yes, then its liquid . .
can you pour it out? yes, then it is liquid
does it flow? yes , then it is liquid. .

gas does not flow like water, gas cannot be drunk . . gas does not take the shape of its holding container . .

if we wanna go into advanced / molecular chemistry, then we can divide into components . . e.g water

water is liquid by default , it occurs naturally as liquid . . in its frozen state, it's a solid, but its still water . .
in its vaporised states, it's a gas, but it is still the same water . .
a molecule of water can be broken down into 2 atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen in two distinctive places. . . gives us 2H20
hydrogen is gas .. oxygen is gas . . . but just because they are gas and make up water, doesnt mean water is a gas . . it's liquid still

You didnt bother to read and understand your own quote . . where it say . . it slowly changes into vapor or gas at normal temperatures, if left in an open vessel. . . OMG, that is change of state . .we even have solids that change to liquids on exposure to air . . .

if you did chemistry, do yu remember . . efflorescence, deliquescence and hygroscopy ?

P.S.: I don't need google to prove facts . . you're talking to a Biochemist
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by abidemidare: 3:44pm On Jun 19, 2015
Anyway, have rectified the problem by changing the complete fuel pump engine with fuel gauge. It's working fine now. Thanks all, God bless.

Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by Denn(m): 6:31am On Jun 20, 2015
makavele:

You just copied n pasted stuffs you understand not . . . Without mincing words. .
define liquid . . . a liquid is a form of matter that flows, are not held tightly by their respective bonds and can take the shape of any container . .
define gas . . a form of matter that are not held at all by their respective bonds, cannot be seen, some can be smelt, others cannot be smelt, and exert pressure on the walls of their container

define solid . . a form of matter held tightly by the individual bonds, takes its own predefined shape?

can you drink gasoline? yes, then its liquid . .
can you pour it out? yes, then it is liquid
does it flow? yes , then it is liquid. .

gas does not flow like water, gas cannot be drunk . . gas does not take the shape of its holding container . .

if we wanna go into advanced / molecular chemistry, then we can divide into components . . e.g water

water is liquid by default , it occurs naturally as liquid . . in its frozen state, it's a solid, but its still water . .
in its vaporised states, it's a gas, but it is still the same water . .
a molecule of water can be broken down into 2 atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen in two distinctive places. . . gives us 2H20
hydrogen is gas .. oxygen is gas . . . but just because they are gas and make up water, doesnt mean water is a gas . . it's liquid still

You didnt bother to read and understand your own quote . . where it say . . it slowly changes into vapor or gas at normal temperatures, if left in an open vessel. . . OMG, that is change of state . .we even have solids that change to liquids on exposure to air . . .

if you did chemistry, do yu remember . . efflorescence, deliquescence and hygroscopy ?

P.S.: I don't need google to prove facts . . you're talking to a Biochemist

Dear chemist

Does petrol evaporate or not if left in the open?

If you pour one litre of petrol in a tray and one litre of water in another tray and put both outside at noon, which one will first 'disappear'?

If you park a car in the sun with all the evap lines rusted off, fuel pump gaskets not properly sealed and other possible 'hole' scenarios, will the fuel evaporate?

That has been the simple point.

I quote sources. It's a good idea when you debate. Only beer parlour debaters quote statisitics or points from the moon.

You are a biochemist yet the only chemicals you have ever mixed is gari and sugar. Don't derail with your unfounded analysis.

Below is a link to a proper research on evaporative losses of petrol in fueling stations in Canada.

https://www.nairaland.com/2376771/practical-broiler-production-step-step

Petrol evaporates...simple

Which kind of chemist does not know matter can change state?

When you boil water, it changes state from liquid to gas. When you freeze water, it changes to solid. Basic integrated science. I did not need to become a gari biochemist to even remember that.

You change the state of a liquid to gas, mostly by heating whilst you change a gas to liquid by condensation.

Increased temperature applied to petrol (our tropical heat) can make petrol evaporate.

Another experiment.

Put a keg half filled with petrol in a sunny place. Ensure the keg is tightly sealed. After one hour, try to open the keg. You will hear a slight hiss of the 'gassed' petrol escaping.

Biochemist...revert with further ' off point' analysis
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by makavele: 1:10pm On Jun 20, 2015
Denn:

Dear chemist

Does petrol evaporate or not if left in the open?

If you pour one litre of petrol in a tray and one litre of water in another tray and put both outside at noon, which one will first 'disappear'?

If you park a car in the sun with all the evap lines rusted off, fuel pump gaskets not properly sealed and other possible 'hole' scenarios, will the fuel evaporate?

That has been the simple point.

I quote sources. It's a good idea when you debate. Only beer parlour debaters quote statisitics or points from the moon.

You are a biochemist yet the only chemicals you have ever mixed is gari and sugar. Don't derail with your unfounded analysis.

Below is a link to a proper research on evaporative losses of petrol in fueling stations in Canada.

https://www.nairaland.com/2376771/practical-broiler-production-step-step

Petrol evaporates...simple

Which kind of chemist does not know matter can change state?

When you boil water, it changes state from liquid to gas. When you freeze water, it changes to solid. Basic integrated science. I did not need to become a gari biochemist to even remember that.

You change the state of a liquid to gas, mostly by heating whilst you change a gas to liquid by condensation.

Increased temperature applied to petrol (our tropical heat) can make petrol evaporate.

Another experiment.

Put a keg half filled with petrol in a sunny place. Ensure the keg is tightly sealed. After one hour, try to open the keg. You will hear a slight hiss of the 'gassed' petrol escaping.

Biochemist...revert with further ' off point' analysis

what r u even saying sef? u r just going round and round in an endless loop of mumbo-jumbo . . back to the basics

u said petrol is gas . . . (type of matter)
and i said wrong . . petrol is liquid ( type of matter)

it is very simple? can you drink petrol? yes !
can you pour it out ? yes
can you wash with petrol? yes u can wash with it . .

so according to you, petrol is gas . . can you drink gas?
can you pour gas into a container
can you wash with gas?

ball is in your court, sir !!!!
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by nurey(m): 7:21pm On Jun 20, 2015
makavele:

what r u even saying sef? u r just going round and round in an endless loop of mumbo-jumbo . . back to the basics

u said petrol is gas . . . (type of matter)
and i said wrong . . petrol is liquid ( type of matter)

it is very simple? can you drink petrol? yes !
can you pour it out ? yes
can you wash with petrol? yes u can wash with it . .

so according to you, petrol is gas . . can you drink gas?
can you pour gas into a container
can you wash with gas?

ball is in your court, sir !!!!

oga why don't you take things easy and stop behaving like you know everything. petrol is both a liquid and a gas, the difference now is petrol will turn to gas at Standard temperature and pressure (STP) what we normally call room temperature. to keep petrol in its liquid form, some form of modification is needed for temp and pressure to avoid or reduce change of state.

this is car talk not PhD in chemistry class

3 Likes

Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by makavele: 10:21pm On Jun 20, 2015
nurey:

oga why don't you take things easy and stop behaving like you know everything. petrol is both a liquid and a gas, the difference now is petrol will turn to gas at Standard temperature and pressure (STP) what we normally call room temperature. to keep petrol in its liquid form, some form of modification is needed for temp and pressure to avoid or reduce change of state.

this is car talk not PhD in chemistry class

lol at the bolded. . matter can never exist in two forms at the same time . . e.g. water is both liquid and solid .. . afterall water changes to ice when freezed . . . matter can only exist in one form, and can change to another form (change of state)
so naturally petrol is liquid . . and when subjected to normal atmospheric conditions, vaporises over time and becomes gas

water is naturally liquid . . when freezed becomes ice . . and when boiled becomes water vapour (gas)

so what are even saying sef ?

1 Like

Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by Denn(m): 6:46am On Jun 21, 2015
makavele:

lol at the bolded. . matter can never exist in two forms at the same time . . e.g. water is both liquid and solid .. . afterall water changes to ice when freezed . . . matter can only exist in one form, and can change to another form (change of state)
so naturally petrol is liquid . . and when subjected to normal atmospheric conditions, vaporises over time and becomes gas

water is naturally liquid . . when freezed becomes ice . . and when boiled becomes water vapour (gas)

Naturally liquid? wrong. water is liquid only at certain temperatures. Any variance and it either turns to ice or vapour.

why are you trying to cause pandemonium with your garrium chemistry? Na we you submit project to? I cant believe our Primary school science is causing sweat for the learned 'chemist'. Read the excerpts below.

The kinetic theory of matter states:

*All matter is made up of tiny, microscopic moving particles. And each matter has a different type of particles with different size and mass.
*Particles are in continuous movement. All particles are moving all the time in random directions (Brownian motion).
*The speed of movement depends on the mass of the particle, temperature and several other factors

Physical changes are changes in which no new substance is formed. For example melting and ice cube or dissolving salt in water. Physical changes are reversible. For instance if you heat and melt and ice cube to water, you can put it in a freezer and have it changed back to ice.

Changing the state of a matter is a physical change. And it is done by either heating or cooling.

temperature causes a physical change in matter like water. There is no permanent state for for water. it is either a solid, liquid or gas depending on temperature and pressure

I will always give my source since i am not a custodian of all knowledge
http://www.xtremepapers.com/revision/gcse/chemistry/the_nature_of_matter.php
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by Stancity(m): 7:54am On Jun 21, 2015
Let me take a seat and grab 1 or 2 cus from what i have read, this debate will continue.. no one wanna admit defeat for the time being..

Let the debate continue o....
cool
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by nurey(m): 9:50am On Jun 21, 2015
makavele:

you are so pre-occupied trying to proof what's not, you are even confusing yourself.
chairman, you have successfully derailed this thread with your I TOO KNOW. I wish you goodluck in successfully teaching yourself all you need to know in state of matter.
Re: Why My Car Fuel Always Dropped From Fuel Guage by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 21, 2015
OP's car has been fixed, thread didn't serve its purpose due to derailment, hence, thread locked.

(1)

Meaning Of Error Code P1299 In Ford Edge 2010, 3.5l / 10 Disadvantages Of Buying A New Car In Nigeria / Meet The Best Maintained Longest Running Cars On Nigerian Roads…owned By One Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.