Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? (16669 Views)

Contentment: Sign Of A True Believer / Does Islam View the World's Tallest Building in Jeddah As a Sign of End Times? / Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity& Virginity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Go Down)

Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 11:50am On Mar 21, 2009
hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by mybad: 10:45pm On Apr 15, 2009
Definately the hijab is a sacred material (or should be).
However, not all those who use it can be regarded as pure.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by eghosaobas: 5:19pm On Apr 26, 2009
Thats correct.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by temi4rea(f): 9:41am On Apr 27, 2009
@Poster
Its not a sign of purity, its just a way of dressing here in the north,

Even xtains here in kano wears hijab , so it notin when a lady wears it.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 10:10pm On Apr 27, 2009
Christains dont wear hijab in the north,what the christain ladies does is to use the gele scarf over their shoulder. While the muslim ladies use the hijab,that is sown covering,covering from the head to the kneel with a small opening for the face,some even goes to the feet level,while stops at shoulder level.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by sosisi(f): 10:12pm On Apr 27, 2009
are Christians in the north mandated to use a covering?
now that would be wrong
They can force,whip or stone their women for not wearing hijabs grin
They should leave christians out of it.!
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 6:02am On Apr 28, 2009
No, christain women are not forced here to use hijab,what they sometimes use here is gele (scarf) which they put around their shoulder and its not by force.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by temi4rea(f): 9:19am On Apr 28, 2009
Kaduna is not an islamic dominated state,]

So u barely know wht goes around kano ok.

In kano State Poly all female students both xtains and muslims dress alike,

In Some Banks in kano state essp, BANKI AREWA,

Women are manated to use vail after dressing on friday,

Some xtains dont use hijab but some stl do.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 6:36pm On Apr 28, 2009
temi 4 rea:

Kaduna is not an islamic dominated state,]

So u barely know wht goes around kano ok.

In kano State Poly all female students both xtains and muslims dress alike,

In Some Banks in kano state essp, BANKI AREWA,

Women are manated to use vail after dressing on friday,

Some xtains dont use hijab but some stl do.
my dear i am based in kaduna but work in maiduguri. on fridays i dress on caftan to the office,most people does this,people are not being forced to this,its optional and i have a branch of my office in kano ad i always go there.christains are not being compelled to dress like a muslim but some of us try to dress like them cos most of them have muslims as friends,and wants to dress like them.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by temi4rea(f): 9:53am On Apr 29, 2009
Well am not arguing on this pls,

Kaduna is 50-50 for xtains and muslims likewise maiduguri,

But its not the same in KANO.

In kano women get stoned somtimes because of the way they dress.

Smppl live in SABON GARI but if they have to go out the area the use the black gown which is hijab.

U are also right abt sm xtains dressing that way,smtyms u earn respect from this mallams just for doing that.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 10:03am On Apr 29, 2009
The muslims will definately stone you when you are seducively dressed or inappopriate dressing.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by temi4rea(f): 10:12am On Apr 29, 2009
@Segy

Thats true! but u agree wth me that hijab is just a dress ladies wear nothing too important abt it.

Dosent mean wearing it makes a lady holy abi. wink
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 10:20am On Apr 29, 2009
Yea thats true.i used to think that women who wears hijab are pure,but that i discovered was not true,the women with hijab flirt the most,i know what i am saying. And also the hausa muslims that stones these indicent dressed girls are more guilty bicos the flirt most in nigeria as at today, 80% of them dont even want the SHARIAH Law.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by temi4rea(f): 12:38pm On Apr 29, 2009
Infact they consume the largest num of green bottles.

Dont mind even in the poly where they insist on all female students in Hijab the lecturers stl flirt wth them,fail students who says no.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 2:51pm On Apr 29, 2009
So you can see what i am saying.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by Lagosboy: 7:28pm On Apr 30, 2009
Indecency is everywhere and muslims are not angels and prone to sin as well. Muslims are human!!!!
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 10:40pm On May 02, 2009
I am not trying to be biased here, what i am saying is that the hausa muslims think they are the real muslim and also they are sinless. If you come to the far north you will get my point. They dont even have any value for the yoruba muslims.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by littleb(m): 10:09am On May 03, 2009
Hijab is not a sign of purity but rather of obedience. How could someone cover herself while there is heat, so it is a sacrifice which Muslims women must adhere to.

ALLAH SAYS:
And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss. (Qr.24:31)

Hijab is a recommendation as a kind of modesty for women in order to limit fornication, adultery, raping etc. This is very clear in the above verses. The more a muslim lady covers, the better.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by Jarus(m): 1:15pm On May 03, 2009
segyemaro:

I am not trying to be biased here, what i am saying is that the hausa muslims think they are the real muslim and also they are sinless. If you come to the far north you will get my point. They dont even have any value for the yoruba muslims.
Don't sow hatred here bros. Only ignorant Hausa Muslim considers himself superior. I served in the north and I was highly welcome.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 5:38pm On May 03, 2009
Jarus:

Don't sow hatred here bros. Only ignorant Hausa Muslim considers himself superior. I served in the north and I was highly welcome.
you were in the north for your one year service year and i have been in the north for the past 35 years,i know what i am saying.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by temi4rea(f): 1:24pm On May 04, 2009
@Jarus

We were born here and grew up here so there nothing u cn say abt these areas that we dont knw,one thing u must knw is that in the North here uniforms are respected so as a copper u will be welcomed and loved.

Come work and live here then u will understand non hausas are not seen as REAL muslims.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by ayinba1(f): 1:49pm On May 04, 2009
@temi&segye,

we do not dispute the fact that some Hausas think that way but that does not make it right. What Jarus is stating is that the Hausas with understanding and knowledge will not think that way.

The fact is that northern nigeria is the way it is and not only muslims, christians too. It is hoped that they will take a leaf from the Western part of the country and live in some degree of harmony.

And don't lecture me about northern christians, I lived with them for a long time too!
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by Jarus(m): 3:58pm On May 04, 2009
I'm not denying the fact that some(or most, if you say so) Hausa Muslims believe Yoruba Muslims are inferior. But what I'm saying is that it is borne out of ignorance, and no knowledgeable Hausa Muslim will believe or say that. I led prayers in Sokoto, with many hausas behind me.

Looking at it more critically, the reasons why some Hausas don't trust us Yoruba Muslims is not totally out of place, but the situation has greatly improved. Mixing idolatory with Islam WAS quite common in Yorubaland before. When Islam came to Yorubaland, many of our forefathers, may Allah forgive them, accepted Islam but still found it difficult to drop their idolatory traditional practices. That is why you will see soem of them using bante(charms) etc. As time went on, it became clearer to them that you have to enter Islam wholeheartedly, and they dropped their fetish practices. But till today or until recently, you still find some Yoruba Muslims doing these things. For example I will not be surprised if the person under eyo is Kamoru or Luku. And this same Luku or kamoru comes to Mosque. I, even as a fellow Yoruba, cannot pray behind somebody that did eyo. So it was the prevalence of these practices(mixing Islam with idolatory) that made Hausa Muslims doubt Yoruba Muslims. They generalize and feel every Yoruba also participates in sango, eyo worshipping etc. I had a discussion with the Hausa Principal of the school I served in Sokoto a couple of years ago and I explained to him that it was a misconception, while admitting that it once used to be very prevalent.

Another reason why Hausa Muslims have the tendency to see themselves as superior to us is that far many Yoruba people do nothing in Islam other than bearing the name. Many of us don't say our 5 daily prayers. But in hausaland, it is part of them, and 98% at least say their salats. My principal in Sokoto was surprised seeing me observing my salats regularly and timely, and confessed to me that I was the first Yoruba Muslim corper to be posted to that School that will be praying his salats, regularly and timely. These are the things that make them cast aspersions on us Yoruba Muslims.

Lest I omit this, we Yoruba Muslims, like South-westerners generally,are somehow more inclined to western culture than Islamic culture. From dressing to interactions to free mixing to openly shaking hands and even hugging between male and female etc, Hausas find these things very strange and surprised seeing Muslims do them too. So they don't trust us.

And finally, there is the cultural aspect. The children among them believe that Hausas are the only Muslims and there are no Yoruba Muslims. They find it difficult to distinguish between their culture and Islam(and in actual fact, hardly distinguishable). They think since Hausa=Muslim, then Yoruba cannot be equal to Muslim, since Yoruba is not equal to Hausa. This was why in their schools, pupils found it difficult to believe some of us corpers were Muslim.

But the actual fact is that things have really changed a lot. Yoruba Muslims have really improved a lot. Yoruba Muslims hardly take part in all those idolatory practices again, Islamic morals are now being upheld as opposed to flagrant disregard to them hitherto, a high % of Yoruba Muslims don't joke say their salats now etc. And many Hausa Muslims acknowledge this. In fact, what they now say is that 'Yoruba Muslims are either highly devoted or loose, but the bulk of Hausa are average'', given the fact most of the 'conc' student preachers & MSSN exco in northern Universities are Yorubas and the 'baddest' are also from Yorubas.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by segyemaro(m): 7:34pm On May 04, 2009
@jarus
my brother thanks for that wonderful piece,i was indeed thrilled to my bone marrows.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by oyizami(f): 11:10am On May 05, 2009
AkinGal
U need serious lecture walahi because u are not staying wth them and u only stayed wth them for sometime.muslims are very nice and i will always like them so am not against muslims infact my dad is one and stl a muslim.
But hausa own don too mush jo!
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by topeokunol: 1:08pm On May 05, 2009
i beg make u nor vex
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by kenny888: 8:27pm On May 18, 2009
segyemaro:

you were in the north for your one year service year and i have been in the north for the past 35 years,i know what i am saying.
hmm
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by Busybody2(f): 2:56pm On May 21, 2009
littleb:

Hijab is not a sign of purity but rather of obedience. How could someone cover herself while there is heat, so it is a sacrifice which Muslims women must adhere to.

ALLAH SAYS:
And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss. (Qr.24:31)

Hijab is a recommendation as a kind of modesty for women in order to limit fornication, adultery, raping etc. This is very clear in the above verses. The more a muslim lady covers, the better.

Why should it be down to the woman to cover up in order to limit a man's temptation to commit fornication, adultery, rape, etc

Are Muslim women more predisposed to being raped and fornicated against, by Muslim men and all other men, compared to their counterpart out there undecided

Na wa o lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by ajokeakin: 6:18pm On May 24, 2009
na u talk so ooo
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by olabowale(m): 10:12pm On May 24, 2009
Men are also commanded to "cover" up too. Women could be tempted just as much by badly dressed (almost nude) man, with the right acutremens.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by ifele(m): 1:55am On May 26, 2009
Hijab is a sign of purity. I am Jesus follower and Saint Paul said women should dress modestly.

Wearing revealing clothes is the first sign of outward sexual immorality Many Christians have fallen away

in this matter. The problem is unclothedness culture and hijab is countering that. Over here in North America

you notice they have 50% divorce and its becos of infidelity and sexual promiscuity. The folks dress

inappropraitely and its becoming a global thing to dress unrighteously. So there are more temptations.

Thank Jehovah and Jesus for hijab.
Re: Is Hijab A Sign Of Purity? by Virgo83(m): 10:41am On Jun 01, 2009
Yes, Hijab is a sign of purity.
If we should consider what is happening in our society, there's no doubt that Hijab is basically a Sign of Purity.
A Lady with Hijab commands Respect 'cause She'll be treated with care and will be attend to a humbly manner.

Hijab is Basic Human Right Of A Muslim Woman

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)

Miracles Of The Qur'an: Discovery Of More Planets In The Universe By Nasa. / Major Shirk And Minor Shirk / Miracle Baby Born In Russia With Quranic Verses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.