Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (47585 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 7:11pm On Feb 26, 2009
dangermous:

So Charly Boy was given a panel too undecided undecided undecided

ROFL
His father was a Chief Justice
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 7:13pm On Feb 26, 2009
**osisi:

You are going way off tangent here.
Someone started a thread on Igbo and Ijaw reuniting and we're saying that the actions of Ijaws up to stolen property has to be addressed for that to take place.
If doing what was best for them is agreeing to take over property belonging to their hard working cousins as compensation then I believe they're now reaping the fruits.

you are the one going off tangent. is the title of the thread, "Igbo's want their properties from Ijaws" or  " Igbos and Ijaws should unite"?

For these so-called reconciliation committee to succeed, both sides have to admit their wrongs.  Part of the risks of war is the loss of property and land.  Doesn't make it right, its just one of the risks.  You can't get reconciliation by playing the victim game.  isn't this the same thing we accuse african americans of doing?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 7:17pm On Feb 26, 2009
bawomolo:

you are the one going off tangent. is the title of the thread, "Igbo's want their properties from Ijaws" or " Igbos and Ijaws should unite"?

For these so-called reconciliation committee to succeed, both sides have to admit their wrongs. Part of the risks of war is the loss of property and land. Doesn't make it right, its just one of the risks. You can't get reconciliation by playing the victim game. isn't this the same thing we accuse african americans of doing?

and for some reason in this case that risk happened to have been incurred only in PH with some Ijaw men and sticky fingers
smells fishy.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 7:18pm On Feb 26, 2009
bawomolo:

Sectarian violence and Ethnic Rivalry?

Nope. Ethnic rivalry need not lead to war. Are you saying "ethnic rivalry" is a necessary OR sufficient condition for war?

It was the utter failure of the Nigerian government to protect her citizens, Igbos, that were being murdered in the thousands in many parts of Nigeria, especially in Northern Nigeria.

The rationale for this cold-blooded murder of Igbos by those who planned it, many inside the government, was that the Igbos planned the January 15 1966 coup and so killing *any and all* Igbos was justified. This foolish logic of "guilt by association" triggered the pogrom. This was before Biafra was declared.

My question: Why did the Nigerian government refuse to protect her own citizens from being massacred from Lagos to Maiduguri?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 7:20pm On Feb 26, 2009
@ Osisi & NaijaKing

When will Igbo people learn that Saro-Wiwa is not an Ijaw man, but an Ogoni man.

Who in their right mind would call Opobo an Igbo land?

It is this kind of dismissive attitude that creates conflict between Igbo's and their surrounding neighbours.

@ NaijaKing,

I cannot answer your questions from when I was not born. Who are these Ijaw men that betrayed the Igbo's? Who do they speak for? How many followers did Adaka-Boro have? If you stop being regressive, you would have noticed that Asari-Dokubo is working closely with MASSOB because anyone in Souther Nigeria should know that our destinies are interlinked, both Ijaws, Igbo's, Efiks etc.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 7:20pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

My question: Why did the Nigerian government refuse to protect her own citizens from being massacred from Lagos to Maiduguri?

Have they ever protected their own citizens??
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Nobody: 7:21pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Nope. Ethnic rivalry need not lead to war. Are you saying "ethnic rivalry" is a necessary OR sufficient condition for war?

It was the utter failure of the Nigerian government to protect her citizens, Igbos, that were being murdered in the thousands in many parts of Nigeria, especially in Northern Nigeria.

The rationale for this cold-blooded murder of Igbos by those who planned it, many inside the government, was that the Igbos planned the January 15 1966 coup and so killing *any and all* Igbos was justified. This foolish logic of "guilt by association" triggered the pogrom. This was before Biafra was declared.

Igbos are not the only one being murdered. . . . .in the North.
My mom worked in the north, she told me so many stories of the yorubas and other tribes being murdered, some might bring a 3rd degree burned baby to the hospital, while others don't even have a leg to walk to the hospital.

Fact is, Igbos are not the only one suffering. . . .

bawomolo:

Would this committee talk about the Biafran invasion of the Midwestern region? What about the murder of Hausa traders in the Midwestern region.  This thread seems to be centered around Igbo's being victims while the Ijaws should come and beg for forgiveness.

There actions centered around what they thought was best for their people.  I won't argue with that.  They gambled and lost just like Ojukwu. Selfish yes but it wasn't betrayal.  The invasion of the Midwestern region knowing there were no hausa soldiers in the region and the region's neutrality is an ACT OF BETRAYAL

I agree with the bolded statement.
It has come to me, that on Nairaland, it is a taboo to speak of igbo uniting with any other tribe but themselves.
But of course na, "no tribal hate", just a taboo.

Sometimes, one just gets sick of it!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 7:22pm On Feb 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

Another Oputa panel??

Nope.

The Nigerian government owes the Igbos an apology for employing the foolish logic of guilt by association and allowing Igbo sons and daughters to be massacred all over the country. The government's duty is to protect her citizens and Nigeria failed to protect the Igbos. Recall that this pogrom was before Biafra was declared.

My question: Why shouldn't the government apologize for failing to protect her citizens?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 7:23pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

who has the Nigerian government protected besides its leaders in armored vehicles?

Do we have to play the victim and marginalization game every time.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 7:23pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

@ NaijaKing,

I cannot answer your questions from when I was not born. Who are these Ijaw men that betrayed the Igbo's? Who do they speak for? How many followers did Adaka-Boro have? If you stop being regressive, you would have noticed that Asari-Dokubo is working closely with MASSOB because anyone in Souther Nigeria should know that our destinies are interlinked, both[b] Ijaws, Igbo's, Efiks etc.[/b]

warreva. all of una na OMO IBO  tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 7:24pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Nope.

The Nigerian government owes the Igbos an apology for employing the foolish logic of guilt by association and allowing Igbo sons and daughters to be massacred all over the country. The government's duty is to protect her citizens and Nigeria failed to protect the Igbos. Recall that this pogrom was before Biafra was declared.

My question: Why shouldn't the government apologize for failing to protect her citizens?

Do biafra veterans owe anyone an apology for their actions in the Midwestern region? A lightly defended region that was dragged into the conflict for no reason
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 7:24pm On Feb 26, 2009
I don't know about uniting.
Let's just live peacefully as neighbours while we continue to intermarry like we've always done.
The Pepples,The Harts,Then Ben stowes,The Fubaras,the Long Johns,The Tobys etc.
They marry our women,we marry theirs cheesy
Despite all this,Igbo/Rivers or Bayelsa marriage and Igbo/akwai IBom and Cross river marriages are still common
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 7:25pm On Feb 26, 2009
bawomolo:

Do biafra veterans owe anyone an apology for their actions in the Midwestern region?

Biafra did not exist when the Nigerian government allowed and aided civilians to be massacred. Why can't you tell me how that was justified?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by CrudeOil2(m): 7:26pm On Feb 26, 2009
Hey, what I meant was that the Igbos should unite within themselves first, before thinking of uniting with other tribes.The disunity amongst the igbos is very disgusting. Thats the reason they have not been able to produce a unanimous presidential candidate for the past 8 years. That's why their language and culture is dying.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Nope.

What will apologising do? Will it bring back the dead?
Are igbos the only one who needs an apology?

Am not even sure if you ppl will take the apology, prolly start another problem with it.

Apology ko apology ni.

The Govt. needs to apologise to it's country in whole.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 7:27pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

@ Osisi & NaijaKing

When will Igbo people learn that Saro-Wiwa is not an Ijaw man, but an Ogoni man.

Who in their right mind would call Opobo an Igbo land?

It is this kind of dismissive attitude that creates conflict between Igbo's and their surrounding neighbours.

@ NaijaKing,

I cannot answer your questions from when I was not born. Who are these Ijaw men that betrayed the Igbo's? Who do they speak for? How many followers did Adaka-Boro have? If you stop being regressive, you would have noticed that Asari-Dokubo is working closely with MASSOB because anyone in Souther Nigeria should know that our destinies are interlinked, both Ijaws, Igbo's, Efiks etc.

and I never called saro wiwa an Ijaw man
I made reference to an Ijaw man who betrayed Igbos and was murdered by Nigerian troops  (Adaka BORO) and you called saro wiwa.
I lived in PH
I know Ijaw names and I know sarowiwa is Ogoni
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 7:28pm On Feb 26, 2009
Crude Oil:

Hey, what I meant was that the Igbos should unite within themselves first, before thinking of uniting with other tribes.The disunity amongst the igbos is very disgusting. Thats the reason they have not been able to produce a unanimous presidential candidate for the past 8 years. That's why their language and culture is dying.

Please tell me
In what election did all hausa produce just one candidate
and in what election ,did all Yorubas produce just one candidate

I've heard these lies for too long.
are Atiku,IBB and Yaradua not Hausa?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 7:31pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Biafra did not exist when the Nigerian government allowed and aided civilians to be massacred. Why can't you tell me how that was justified?

I never justified it, now answer my question.  Was the actions of the Biafran government (basically a moniker for the Eastern Regional government) in the Midwestern Region justified?  The Ijaws had a right to believe their sovereignty was being challenged.  Everyone in Nigeria claims to be marginalized.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 7:32pm On Feb 26, 2009
HeatFusion:

Igbos are not the only one being murdered. . . . .in the North.
My mom worked in the north, she told me so many stories of the yorubas and other tribes being murdered, some might bring a 3rd degree burned baby to the hospital, while others don't even have a leg to walk to the hospital.

Fact is, Igbos are not the only one suffering. . . .
I agree with the bolded statement.
It has come to me, that on Nairaland, it is a taboo to speak of igbo uniting with any other tribe but themselves.
But of course na, "no tribal hate", just a taboo.

Sometimes, one just gets sick of it!

I'm a bit confused why you're using the present continuous tense when were discussing a past event. However, I get your gist and it does not subtract from the following facts:

1. Igbos were the main target of the pogrom in 1966.
2. Igbos were murdered in many parts of Nigeria, not only the North.
3. Non-Igbo civilians were also murdered in the 1966 pogrom.
4. The federal government owe an apology to every family of ever person murdered in that massacre.

That the successive governments of Nigeria have failed to recognize these facts has only encouraged some of those who masterminded these massacres. Today, newer recruits are reading from the same playbook and the murder of innocent civilians continue in Northern Nigeria, the epicenter of the pogrom targeted at Igbos in 1966.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 7:34pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

I'm a bit confused why you're using the present continuous tense when were discussing a past event. However, I get your gist and it does not subtract from the following facts:

1. Igbos were the main target of the pogrom in 1966.
2. Igbos were murdered in many parts of Nigeria, not only the North.
3. Non-Igbo civilians were also murdered in the 1966 pogrom.
4. The federal government owe an apology to every family of ever person murdered in that massacre.

That the successive governments of Nigeria have failed to recognize these facts has only encouraged some of those who masterminded these massacres. Today, newer recruits are reading from the same playbook and the murder of innocent civilians continue in Northern Nigeria, the epicenter of the pogrom targeted at Igbos in 1966.

where else were they murdered and by whom??
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 7:36pm On Feb 26, 2009
**osisi:

and I never called saro wiwa an Ijaw man
I made reference to an Ijaw man who betrayed Igbos and was murdered by Nigerian troops  (Adaka BORO) and you called saro wiwa.
I lived in PH
I know Ijaw names and I know sarowiwa is Ogoni

Sorry, maybe not you, but your Igbo brothers keep making the mistake all the time.

You referred to a man who came begging on his knees before Ohanaeze (Saro-Wiwa) to which Naija-King replied:

"That's what beats me. Some people want to talk about unity without fully addressing, understanding(not really apologizing), and reviewing the past errors in our relationship with the Ijaw people."

This is not the first time that Igbo NLers' keep calling Saro-Wiwa an Ijaw man.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 7:38pm On Feb 26, 2009
igbo people your wahala is too much grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 7:40pm On Feb 26, 2009
bawomolo:

I never justified it, now answer my question.  Was the actions of the Biafran government (basically a moniker for the Eastern Regional government) in the Midwestern Region justified?  The Ijaws had a right to believe their sovereignty was being challenged.  Everyone in Nigeria claims to be marginalized.

You're putting the plate inside the amala.

We're discussing what led to the war. Why are you jumping into atrocities committed during the war? That is a separate issue.

But I'll answer your question. After the preventable war started, both sides took actions that were unsavory. The Biafran soldiers committed atrocities and the Nigerian soldiers committed atrocities. All atrocities are condemnable.

Now back to the pre-war era: Why did the Nigerian government refuse to protect Igbo civilians in the 1966 pogrom?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 7:41pm On Feb 26, 2009
tamme:

igbo people your wahala is too much  grin

olohun all of them for that SS and SE. Dem too get[i] ijogbon[/i]
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by CrudeOil2(m): 7:41pm On Feb 26, 2009
@osisi*

They dont need to bring one candidate. All they have to do is to unanimously support one candidate, Something the igbos cant do.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 7:41pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

Sorry, maybe not you, but your Igbo brothers keep making the mistake all the time.

You referred to a man who came begging on his knees before Ohanaeze (Saro-Wiwa) to which Naija-King replied:

"That's what beats me. Some people want to talk about unity without fully addressing, understanding(not really apologizing), and reviewing the past errors in our relationship with the Ijaw people."

This is not the first time that Igbo NLers' keep calling Saro-Wiwa an Ijaw man.

at least they tried and placed in within the same viscinity.
Go to the west,they'll call him omo ibo grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 7:43pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Nope.

They are Nigerians. . . . .Naija Govt don't apologise and even when they do, it is never from the bottom of their sinful hearts.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 7:43pm On Feb 26, 2009
Crude Oil:

@osisi*

They dont need to bring one candidate. All they have to do is to unanimously support one candidate, Something the igbos cant do.

Like which people support one candidate?
are there any elections in Nigeria won by votes?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 7:44pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

You're putting the plate inside the amala.

We're discussing what led to the war. Why are you jumping into atrocities committed during the war? That is a separate issue.

But I'll answer your question. After the preventable war started, both sides took actions that were unsavory. The Biafran soldiers committed atrocities and the Nigerian soldiers committed atrocities. All atrocities are condemnable.

Now back to the pre-war era: Why did the Nigerian government refuse to protect Igbo civilians in the 1966 pogrom?

It isn't a separate issue ( to an apologist it would be).  A legitimate truth and reconciliation committee would encompass the events that led to the war and the war itself.  you guys obviously aren't ready for reconciliation just another blame party.

as for the question. "No victor no Vanquish"

Petition or take the Government to court if you feel like it.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 7:46pm On Feb 26, 2009
Igbo people what do want us in the south south and south east  to do?
apologise, then what happens next tongue
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 7:48pm On Feb 26, 2009
dangermous:

olohun all of them for that SS and SE. Dem too get[i] ijogbon[/i]

ROFL
and the efulefu you were addressing is also from that area
This is funny
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 7:53pm On Feb 26, 2009
tamme:

Igbo people what do want us in the south south and south east  to do?
apologise, then what happens next tongue

You clearly do not understand the meaning of an apology.

Why do you think Germany apologized to the Jews? To bring back the dead Jews?

Why do you think the US Congress apologized for slavery? To bring back the beaten, raped and murdered slaves?

Why do you think people are clamoring for Apartheid apology?

The Nigerian government failed in her duty to protect her citizens because it blamed Igbos for the 1966 coup and so allowed and aided the pogrom targeted at Igbos. For this mass murder, the Nigerian government owes Igbos and other groups that were killed during that shameful period of Nigeria's existence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / Oyinbo Man Dances For Ooni Ogunwusi & His Crew - See Photos / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.