Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,030 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? (3124 Views)

A Good Paying Job Or A Rich Man?? Which One Will You Choose / Advice-leaving My Banking Job To USA With My Fiancee. / 50k Monthly Job Or Chase Post Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by praxs(m): 6:21pm On Jun 19, 2015
i currently have the option of choosing between lecturing and banking job. part of my heart wants banking because the salary is higher, but then again thinking about retrenchment makes me cold. another part of me wants the lecturing job as it will accord me the chance to further my studies, but the salary is not much. am 25yrs old, with a M.sc. please your contribution will be highly regarded as i am a bit confused as to which one to choose. i apologise for posting it here if this is not the right section
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by veecee29: 6:33pm On Jun 19, 2015
I am a lecturer.Yes u have time in lecturing,bt to grow in that career,u have to be ready to be resourceful in terms of research as well as bury urself in books.I must tell u,lecturing is not easy especially when u want to be visible to d world.If u can make d decision to be an erudite reseacher,i will advice u to tk d lecturing job cos down d road,u will get research grants worth millions of naira and it will also give u d opportunity to travel round d world to present ur papers.It also has job security.On d contrary,if u r nt d book type,i will advice u to go for d banking job and face d job insecurity there.D ball is in court.We r d decisions we mk.

5 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by praxs(m): 6:55pm On Jun 19, 2015
veecee29:
I am a lecturer.Yes u have time in lecturing,bt to grow in that career,u have to be ready to be resourceful in terms of research as well as bury urself in books.I must tell u,lecturing is not easy especially when u want to be visible to d world.If u can make d decision to be an erudite reseacher,i will advice u to tk d lecturing job cos down d road,u will get research grants worth millions of naira and it will also give u d opportunity to travel round d world to present ur papers.It also has job security.On d contrary,if u r nt d book type,i will advice u to go for d banking job and face d job insecurity there.D ball is in court.We r d decisions we mk.
.. i dont thgink i will have problem with the research thing (articles), as the school i did my masters made article publication mandatory. i already have a couple of publications, so quiet stock cool in that area. however, am not really the book guy, so books is not really my thing though that wont be a problem if i should take up the lecturing job..thanx for your contribution
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by praxs(m): 7:22pm On Jun 19, 2015
please help a brother, nobody is commenting.
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jun 19, 2015
praxs:
please help a brother, nobody is commenting.

I love lecturing because of the job security and 'freedom'. Since you said you don't have a problem with reading and researching, I guess it wouldn't be a challenge to you.

As a young guy, probably single (in a relationship), if you have all the time as a lecturer with little or no pay to show for it, you would agree with me that you and your loved ones/girlfriend/fiancee ...wareva... wouldn't feel fulfilled. grin
You might not even value the spare time in the longrun_ afterall TIME IS MONEY. Bear in mind that the career growth in lecturing is slow. Lets not forget unpaid salaries angry

In a nutshell, take the banking job_ save up, after marriage, port to lecturing.

I think this thread should be in Careers.
Cc: Lalasticlala. Help us move it wink

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 19, 2015
Banking and lecturing job are two different lines entirely. I'd opine that you take the banking job. You don't have to be scared of retrenchment. You should be able to save a reasonable amount of money in a very short while except you are overly extravagant. Career growth is also faster in the bank industry compared to the educational sector. The only reason why I'd opine that you should take up the lecturing job is if you have a passion for teaching. I mean real passion for teaching. If you don't, you'd find the job too boring coupled with the little pay and you will end up regretting. Depending on you though but I think the bank job will give you job satisfaction and job gratification.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by Moana(f): 9:07pm On Jun 19, 2015
Job na job grin
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 19, 2015
Moana:
Job na job grin
you again?;>

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by tunapole: 10:16pm On Jun 19, 2015
Bros, take a banking job for now, save some money, invest and later port to lecturing cos lecturin is not as lucrative as banking job at the beginning. I was faced with the same challenge when I graduated buh I opted for telecomms work cos am not down with research, mine is to prepare for exams like uefa champions league final and win convincingly. Above all pray for God's guidance
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by NifemiOlu(m): 6:09am On Jun 20, 2015
Don't be driven by money. You're young. Take the lecturing job. Where would you be in 25 years in banking? Uncertain. Where would you be in 25 years in lecturing? I don't know of other universities, but I'm going to use my school (federal) as a yardstick for this analysis. Masters degree holders get 100k-120k, PhD lecturers get 180-450, professors get 750-1.3m monthly. Someone mentioned research grants. Yes. This money is in millions. If you have a very interesting research, you will fly all over the world all in the name of research. Psychologically, you know what you want, you're seeking a second opinion to weigh your decision but whichever you choose, why don't you start early?
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by coldgate(f): 7:26am On Jun 20, 2015
Take the lecturing job. I started out with a lecturing job but decided to quit when I got a banking job. Some elders advised me against taking the job but I did not heed.I told myself that I would work for 2 years, save up and leave.

It is now eight years and I am still here. My friends and classmates already have their PhDs. Career progression is slow and the hustle is real. I have finally taken the decision to leave at the end of this month. Lecturing here I come. Money is not everything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by 5minsmadness: 7:28am On Jun 20, 2015
Lecturing job is far better. Fewer hassles.
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by eleojo23: 9:06am On Jun 20, 2015
If it were to be me, I'd take the lecturing job and work hard at it. I have never liked bank jobs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by Femsyn(m): 9:38am On Jun 20, 2015
If you are to look back after 50yrs, and try to figure out if u've actually lived for urself or for other vain, irrelevant achievements, what do u think u will see?

Career selection is all about passion. What do you enjoy doing? Are you the flamboyant type? Love to hangout with well-tailored suits? Are you the impatient type? Do you like fast cars, presentations and board meetings with CEOs, Industrialists etc? Or Are you the laid-back type, who isn't all about the "cameras"? A traditionalist, who wants to make a worthy impact, that will stand the test of time?

Forget about the insecurities. If its your passion, you'll always find an option. I see men in their 50s on Marina everyday going to their various offices and guess what? They are bankers!!!

You're lucky to have these options on a platter of gold. I'd advise you think deeply and go for a fulfilling career.

PS: I'm an academic staff in a university.

4 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by aameyah(f): 4:44pm On Jun 20, 2015
My battery is weak. Would comment after charging....
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by praxs(m): 5:01pm On Jun 20, 2015
thanx all, i appreciate your contributions... expecting more views
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by gostartit(m): 5:53pm On Jun 20, 2015
praxs:
i currently have the option of choosing between lecturing and banking job. part of my heart wants banking because the salary is higher, but then again thinking about retrenchment makes me cold. another part of me wants the lecturing job as it will accord me the chance to further my studies, but the salary is not much. am 25yrs old, with a M.sc. please your contribution will be highly regarded as i am a bit confused as to which one to choose. i apologise for posting it here if this is not the right section

My advice to you is to follow your heart do not be guided by the salary, do want you find joy in doing i can assure you the money will come later.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2539409_educationalphonesforkids_jpeg315c1931b34b242087d9121b41864985
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by praxs(m): 4:32pm On Nov 04, 2015
aameyah:
My battery is weak. Would comment after charging....
still waiting for yourcomment mam
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by PresVA: 4:44pm On Nov 04, 2015
praxs:
still waiting for yourcomment mam
So you haven't still made your decision after 4months? Are the two jobs still waiting for you? undecided

Anyway, lecturing it is for me. .
Job security, career progression and work-life balance. ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by Nobody: 2:36am On Nov 05, 2015
I have been in banking Industry for the past 7yrs and nothing to show for it. Unfortunately u won't even have time to develop urself. U may develop HBP cos of unending target. So I suggest lecturing cos that is what I am pursuing now. I am almost through with Phd after which, I leave banking for good.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by richyblink1(m): 9:50am On Nov 05, 2015
Bro, at some point in life we have got to set our priorities straight and be determined to see them through.

Most people would advice you base on their experiences, personally beliefs and strength. But when it comes career parth and development, certain factors comes to play.

1. What do you have flair? What can you effortlessly/inconveniencing do and still derive joy and personal fulfilment.

2. What are your long term or short term goals in the said chosen parth?

3. Are you a theorist or a practical person?

4. What do you aim to archive in your chosen profession.

Note; whichever you settle for, remember to apply FFF (fast,furious and for sight).

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by praxs(m): 8:57am On Nov 26, 2015
Cece23:
I have been in banking Industry for the past 7yrs and nothing to show for it. Unfortunately u won't even have time to develop urself. U may develop HBP cos of unending target. So I suggest lecturing cos that is what I am pursuing now. I am almost through with Phd after which, I leave banking for good.
how do cope with running phd concurrently with banking job?
Re: Lecturing Job Or Banking Job! Which Is The Better Of The Two? by praxs(m): 8:57am On Nov 26, 2015
richyblink1:
Bro, at some point in life we have got to set our priorities straight and be determined to see them through.

Most people would advice you base on their experiences, personally beliefs and strength. But when it comes career parth and development, certain factors comes to play.

1. What do you have flair? What can you effortlessly/inconveniencing do and still derive joy and personal fulfilment.

2. What are your long term or short term goals in the said chosen parth?

3. Are you a theorist or a practical person?

4. What do you aim to archive in your chosen profession.

Note; whichever you settle for, remember to apply FFF (fast,furious and for sight).
you couldnt be more true sir

(1) (Reply)

Family Problem (true Life Story) / I Saw My 48 Year Old Aunt With One Man. / Child Labor: The 'House Help' Phenomenom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.