Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,908 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For - Webmasters (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For (17499 Views)

Help: The Website That I Just Finished Developing Is Gone / Come And See The Website A Nairalander Created / Please How Much Can I Charge To Build A Church Database? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by emmatok(m): 8:47pm On Jun 23, 2015
lincolnpix:

Pak, u're right, everyone has an opinion not all opinions are equal. I don't want to continue this pointless communication.The customer has been proved to be a known crackpot.

Guy why now undecided

If you really got problem with your client, why don't you handover over everything to him and forget your business with him.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by callmenow: 8:54pm On Jun 23, 2015
Can subset as a matter of urgency show us the website. The link to the site. Subset must realise that #150k for ecommerce transactional site will not be very secure. This amount, less than $700 is less than half the going rate for ecommerce sites. Show us the site anyway. If need be, I can ask a developer (Indian based in Techcity, London) to knock up something in joomla or Drupal for you. However you have to retrieve your domain from the Lincolnpix guy first. First thing is to ask for the domain registrant details to be changed in your favour. The Lincolnpix guy must be commended for being self employed. Also for trying to cling on to a client. However a bad marriage cannot give both parties joy. So divorce will be advised at some future point. Lincolnpix you are clutching at straws regardless. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by emmatok(m): 9:04pm On Jun 23, 2015
@OP is this the site parktelonlinedotcom/about-us.html
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by lincolnpix(m): 9:12pm On Jun 23, 2015
emmatok:
@OP is this the site parktelonlinedotcom/about-us.html
No, link: http://www.buytecnophones.com/
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by subset(m): 9:35pm On Jun 23, 2015
pak:
@ lincolnpix
Please stop antagonizing those you feel are not in your support. It's in bad taste and gives a very bad impression.

You are a businessman and even if you are perfect, there are people who would still criticise your work, It part and parcel of the deal.
Wisdom is being able to separate constructive criticism and empty ones.

Customer relations is probably 50% of your job and in this field, everybody is a potential customer

Once again, I'm grateful to everyone that has shown interest in this thread.

@ pak, I appreciate your manner of approach on this issue.

Now Note this;

This website was developed using ExpressionEngine and this is a CMS to the best of my knowledge, which comes with bunch of plugins and Addons.
That stated;
There were some instances, where I asked lincolnpix to modify certain part of this website and after working around it, his response will be " the system is configured to be that way" which means he can't change this part of the website to my taste. Now, this is a site that was built from scratch as he claimed and this is also the developer that is hammering "my codes"

That aside;

Have you ever wondered why Lincoln has chosen to ignore all my questions, more especially the point I raised about his code what is stated in the agreement "licensed to
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by subset(m): 9:47pm On Jun 23, 2015
pak:
@ lincolnpix
Please stop antagonizing those you feel are not in your support. It's in bad taste and gives a very bad impression.

You are a businessman and even if you are perfect, there are people who would still criticise your work, It part and parcel of the deal.
Wisdom is being able to separate constructive criticism and empty ones.

Customer relations is probably 50% of your job and in this field, everybody is a potential customer

Now Note this;

This website was developed using ExpressionEngine which is a CMS to the best of my knowledge and it comes with bunch of plugins and Addons.
That stated;
There were some instances, where I asked lincolnpix to modify certain part of this website and after working around it, his response will be " the system is configured to be that way" which means he can't change this part of the website to my taste. Now, this is a site that was built from scratch as he claimed and this is also the developer that is hammering "my codes"

That aside;

Have you ever wondered why Lincoln has chosen to ignore all my questions, more especially the point I raised about his code as stated in the agreement "licensed to use only for this project" and everyother question raised so far.

This is simply because, Lincoln knows that, all I have stated so far are facts.

Lincoln has resorted to calling names to people that does not support his claim, this is just to tell you his own definition of "integrity" and the kind of man he is.

If anything else is remaining of all this story, lincolnpix would have stated so, but he is simply a con man and does not have any point to prove himself innocent from all the allegations laid on him.

This is a link to the site: http://buytecnophones.com hosted under nexcess.net
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by emmatok(m): 9:52pm On Jun 23, 2015
lincolnpix:

No, link: http://www.buytecnophones.com/

WHOIS for buytechnophones is showing-Parktel Int'l Ltd and this https:// parktelonlineDOTcom/bank-details.html

It means that Parktel Int'l Ltd owns both websites.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by lincolnpix(m): 9:54pm On Jun 23, 2015
subset:

Now Note this;

This website was developed using ExpressionEngine and this is a CMS to the best of my knowledge, which comes with bunch of plugins and Addons.
That stated;

That aside;

Have you ever wondered why Lincoln has chosen to ignore all my questions, more especially the point I raised about his code what is stated in the agreement "licensed to

Phenomenon Paschal, now that you've cried foul as you can see i'm here to defend my job and stand by my words.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by lincolnpix(m): 9:57pm On Jun 23, 2015
emmatok:

WHOIS for buytechnophones is showing-Parktel Int'l Ltd and this https:// parktelonlineDOTcom/bank-details.html

It means that Parktel Int'l Ltd owns both websites.

Infact, he doesn't even know that the domain name was registered on his boss company's name. As of today he has never asked me to change the admin email attached to that domain.

He asked via skype and i used the infos
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by pak: 9:59pm On Jun 23, 2015
subset:

Now Note this;

That stated;

That aside;

I'll try to be as frank as possible.

First question, what is the main issue here ?

1) Is it lincolnpix competence or otherwise ?
2) Is it the fact that he didn't deliver to expectation ?
3) Is it denial of service ?

It is unprofessional for me to comment on lincolnpix competence but if you feel he isn't good enough and you have got someone else (who is probably better) then let the new guy work on his own application to suite your taste.
I can assure you that no developer worth his salt will ever agree that you fetch another man's code so that he can work on it to develop his own app. That is very unethical and it is sad that anybody here has supported that. It is wrong for you to give codes developed by lincolnpix to another client without his consent.

If he didn't deliver to expectation, then there should have been milestones to determine when payments should be made. If you feel and have proof that all deliverables have not been made, you can even request for refunds depending on your arrangements

As per denial of service, there are certain things he can't deny you service for - Your domain name (as long as your subscription is not expired) and your data. You can always collect that and move on.

But the key factor is that remember, just has you have your rights, so does the developer
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by emmatok(m): 10:08pm On Jun 23, 2015
lincolnpix:

Infact, he doesn't even know that the domain name was registered on his boss company's name. As of today he has never asked me to change the admin email attached to that domain.

LOL,

This issue is more than the so called contract you signed with him.
Seems you have direct access to his boss.
And coded boss is not telling him everything.

I will suggest you let the boss know whats going on, and anything the boss decides should be final.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by lincolnpix(m): 10:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
subset:

Now Note this;

This website was developed using ExpressionEngine which is a CMS to the best of my knowledge and it comes with bunch of plugins and Addons.
That stated;

That aside;

Have you ever wondered why Lincoln has chosen to ignore all my questions, more especially the point I raised about his code as stated in the agreement "licensed to use only for this project" and everyother question raised so far.

This is simply because, Lincoln knows that, all I have stated so far are facts.

Lincoln has resorted to calling names to people that does not support his claim, this is just to tell you his own definition of "integrity" and the kind of man he is.

If anything else is remaining of all this story, lincolnpix would have stated so, but he is simply a con man and does not have any point to prove himself innocent from all the allegations laid on him.

This is a link to the site: http://buytecnophones.com hosted under nexcess.net

For the records..

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by pak: 10:17pm On Jun 23, 2015
voltron:

I had a similar argument around this and I take it like this.. if you are in the employ of a company either contract or full-time, does any work or deals you executed not belong to the company since they paid for that service? even intellectual commodities are subject to the ownership of the company unless they were yours in the first place before you started work with the client.

I see a lot of developers talk about "My Codes". are your codes really Intellectual Property? is there some innovation you have come up with that you can really patent or claim sole rights to? is there an If or Then Statement that you somehow changed its behavior from what Microsoft intended it to be.. even that is infringing on IP rights of Microsoft.

How can you say something or some work someone paid you for is now your Intellectual Property. The only time I understood it from a professional perspective is when a developer turned his code for some website features into widgets he sold separately. e.g Webform Widget, Media Scroller Widget, CV/Resume Widget. but to say that functionality a client paid you for is now your IP that they cannot access because it is CODE.. that is pure unadulterated BS@# and people should learn to take things for what they are. is Microsoft charging you for using their tools to make profit?

Afam4eva:
I really don't I understand how a developer will build a site for someone and still reserve the right to own the codes. What exactly does that mean? I think the client made abgrave mistake by not going through the contract papers carefully before signing because as it is, based on what Lincolnpix has said and if true, will win this one in a court of law.

Having said that, we developers should try as much as possible to employ some level of kindness when dealing with people. I know its a business but we shouldn't go to any length to rip off clients who may not understand what they are signing up for.

I feel sad when I read comments like this. It is one of the main reasons why the ICT field has been severely stunted in this climes.
The problem about ICT (unlike professions like law and medicine) is that anybody can just jump in at any point and muddle the waters.

There is a saying in ICT policy - 'Paying for the use of codes does not confer ownership'
It's simple, when you buy a Taylor Swift CD does that confer you the copyright on her songs ? No.
You only have limited rights to the copy of that song you bought.

Unless you hired the programmer as a staff under your employ as at the time of developing the software, then what you are paying for his a service or at best an end product.

We are quick to run down our own developers and demand the moon on a stick but how many people using original microsoft office or any original proprietary software has demanded the source code from the developer without any prior arrangement, yet we are ready to do that to local developers, how fair is that ?
An Indian will develop a software and yet the Nigerian companies will still pay him to come and train them on the same software that they paid for (travel expense and all).

I am all for the rights of the customer but let's be considerate on practitioners. I have a software that I started developing in 2009 and it has undergone several upgrades and I still work on it till today with about 8 clients using it. Imagine one of the clients requesting that my sweat and blood for the past 6 years should be given to him warts and all just because he paid me to deploy it for him ?
Yeah, I can give a client copyrights/ownership to my codes but he has to pay for it as separate from the license to use the codes.
Spare a thought for the software industry

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by spikesC(m): 10:36pm On Jun 23, 2015
This is why I hate threads from this section going to the front page. It attracts too many ignorants, illiterates and literally dumb people. No offence to anyone cool

pak:

I feel sad when I read comments like this. It is one of the main reasons why the ICT field has been severely stunted in this climes.
The problem about ICT (unlike professions like law and medicine) is that anybody can just jump in at any point and muddle the waters.
There is a saying in ICT policy - 'Paying for the use of codes does not confer ownership'
It's simple, when you buy a Taylor Swift CD does that confer you the copyright on her songs ? No.
You only have limited rights to the copy of that song you bought.
Unless you hired the programmer as a staff under your employ as at the time of developing the software, then what you are paying for his a service or at best an end product.
We are quick to run down our own developers and demand the moon on a stick but how many people using original microsoft office or any original proprietary software has demanded the source code from the developer without any prior arrangement, yet we are ready to do that to local developers, how fair is that ?
An Indian will develop a software and yet the Nigerian companies will still pay him to come and train them on the same software that they paid for (travel expense and all).
I am all for the rights of the customer but let's be considerate on practitioners. I have a software that I started developing in 2009 and it has undergone several upgrades and I still work on it till today with about 8 clients using it. Imagine one of the clients requesting that my sweat and blood for the past 6 years should be given to him warts and all just because he paid me to deploy it for him ?
Yeah, I can give a client copyrights/ownership to my codes but he has to pay for it as separate from the license to use the codes.
Spare a thought for the software industry

Intellectual property is foreign to the ears of most Nigerians. They literally don't understand what you're talking about

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by GuiltySpark343(m): 10:47pm On Jun 23, 2015
i will comment tomorrow
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by spikesC(m): 10:56pm On Jun 23, 2015
Subset and lincolnpix
You guys messed up so bad. Having read the whole thread, it is so obvious you don't even know what you're fighting for.

lincolnpix is definitely In the wrong in the aspect of deliverables (having dodged those questions) and tried to milk out monthly stipends from you (if and only if it was never agreed upon before and you didn't ask him to maintain the website every month).
You also cannot deny your client access to his data. If you can't give him database access, export the data (user data) as csv and give to him.

Subset, you made a mistake by not reading and understanding the contract. Obscurity in contract is never the lincolnpix problem. What you do not understand, you ask or seek legal advice. All these dumb people here accusing him of intentionally making the contract terms hard to understand are plain stupid. It is obvious they have never seen a contract/terms and conditions document before.
If you want access to the codes to power your website, reach an agreement with your developer and get it from him.

Lincolnpix, like I said before, there're so many ways to keep a client coming back and what you did is not one of them. Try to resolve this issue with him and see where it leads.
For your code, I'll make it clear; YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT, BY LAW, TO PROTECT YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IF YOU BELIEVE IT QUALIFIES AS ONE.
A PROGRAM CODE, WHETHER ORIGINALLY WRITTEN OR MODIFIED VERSION OF A FREELY LICENSED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES ONE IS A PROGRAMMERS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.

You decide morally or by ethics to give access partially or fully to any other person. Anybody who says otherwise, should go get educated undecided

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by pak: 11:08pm On Jun 23, 2015
spikesC:
Subset and lincolnpix
You guys messed up so bad. Having read the whole thread, it is so obvious you don't even know what you're fighting for.

lincolnpix is definitely In the wrong in the aspect of deliverables (having dodged those questions) and tried to milk out monthly stipends from you (if and only if it was never agreed upon before and you didn't ask him to maintain the website every month).
You also cannot deny your client access to his data. If you can't give him database access, export the data (user data) as csv and give to him.

Subset, you made a mistake by not reading and understanding the contract. Obscurity in contract is never the lincolnpix problem. What you do not understand, you ask or seek legal advice. All these dumb people here accusing him of intentionally making the contract terms hard to understand are plain stupid. It is obvious they have never seen a contract/terms and conditions document before.
If you want access to the codes to power your website, reach an agreement with your developer and get it from him.

Lincolnpix, like I said before, there're so many ways to keep a client coming back and what you did is not one of them. Try to resolve this issue with him and see where it leads.
For your code, I'll make it clear; YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT, BY LAW, TO PROTECT YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IF YOU BELIEVE IT QUALIFIES AS ONE.
A PROGRAM CODE, WHETHER ORIGINALLY WRITTEN OR MODIFIED VERSION OF A FREELY LICENSED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES ONE IS A PROGRAMMERS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.

You decide morally or by ethics to give access partially or fully to any other person. Anybody who says otherwise, should go get educated undecided

It is very easy to know when an opinion is from a professional.
As you said, for threads that are technical or esoteric in nature, front page is indeed bad omen. It just becomes a 'marketplace' discussion and gets increasingly difficult to separate wheat from chaff.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 23, 2015
Afam4eva:

You guys are really getting me confused. Did she pay for hosting initially and did you order for a new hosting account for her or you just created an addon domain cos i don't understand how a hosting account will have other websites in it.

Hosting accounts, some, give you the opportunity of hosting several sites on it. Ipage's for example, gives you options for each plan they have. Premiums have unlimited websites (conditional) on a hosting account.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by subset(m): 11:23pm On Jun 23, 2015
lincolnpix:

And he keeps coming up with unnecessary information that isn't the bone of contention.

Did I ever mention that the domain was registered in your name? You are the person that registered the domain for us not in your name. Nobody asked you for this crap.

keeping mute to all the points I raised against your services is a clear sign of your incompetency and conning nature.

Answered the questions I tendered. Lincoln

Cc: emmatok
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by GuiltySpark343(m): 11:36pm On Jun 23, 2015
(while we wait 4 tomorrow to reach i will use my phone)
@afam4eva you are not a programmer,or you havent worked for cliemts,with my expertise in i.t. spanning 12 yr(with expenditure by my parents of close to N18m) some time i send 3days of 18hour trying to crack an algorithim,you expect me to give you my code
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by GuiltySpark343(m): 11:40pm On Jun 23, 2015
sorry i have to be breaking this,my phone is primitive i use it to find ingenius ways of stretching its capacity my brothers-in-coding @callmenow, @spikec una do
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by GuiltySpark343(m): 11:46pm On Jun 23, 2015
men i hope i dont think myself to death...subset what you are into is ecommerce b2c,it has division the website to be managed by a web developer(which you have done an you are sinking)...to be continued
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Dmayor7(m): 1:50am On Jun 24, 2015
subset:
I appreciate the effort of everyone that has commented on this thread.
The Nairaland username of this developer is Lincolnpix. He is a Nigerian man that is base in Italy. Pls be informed.
This guy is only interested in your money and little or nothing to do with well being of your business.
You can make a Google search with the name lincolnpixel to see more about him on the web.

Thanks.

Cc: seun, adewasco2k, Slyr0x
Maleeq, Jarus, Orikinla, uken73, physise Olucheye, davidsmith8900, elderly, winexviv, naijaswag1, GideonG, yawatide(f), DualCore1, Javanian, mj, WhiZTiM,GARRIx7 JideTheBlogger, dhtml18 Nairalander01, herald9, adewasco2k, olyivy, Craigston, spikesC,Dmayor7,yusufu16,Dominionhost,kodewrita, Fayimora, lordZOUGA, skydancer,
honsule, dragnet, puskin,
Viewing this board: dims95(m), tolexy007(m), Kash007(m), psquarex(m), samalive(m), idokojerry(m), izik4004, Najwal, Aflowz, sting224(m), GurusVibez, Slimbob(m), dayosmallz, Phonejoel, symbianDON(m), Smile4luv(m), udemzyudex(m), Idrhas(m), Caesar1988(m), oluspencer(m), doctoryomi, Wizkhalifa2(m), chalxdon(m), tbasejones, apholaby007, Wisdomkosi(m), paulmarkino(m), Jacktech, aitop, victormogg, Necheswit, arsenesholer(m), TechLector(m), funkyjms, teodore(m), samzheee(m), Victorblaze14(m), swisscarter(m), mayorski01(m), mymissingrib(m), wiseone28, efepro(m), manuell1021, dhejjy, Flamesfly(m), optimised, aljpimp(m), emperorbukky, lordrayne(m) Afam4eva, OAM4J, Ikenna351

Hi OP...

Now you come
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Nobody: 1:57am On Jun 24, 2015
olyivy:

He perfectly understood you, he just want to confirm if you are hosting your clients website as an addon domain and you just confirmed it.

Thats very unprofessional!

They are not addon domains for crying out loud since i do not use any form of redirects on each of them. They are fully functional domains on their own. I currently have 14 domains hosted under my account.

Or do you think Dreamhost is like all those "Kpalasa" hosting that you Naija web developers patronize like SmartWeb, Web4Africa etc that does not have flexible and advanced hosting functions?

I can host as many domains as i like on my account and they aren't considered addon domains (the term "addon" isn't used in Dreamhost at all). Each domain i add to my account is unto itself a fully qualified domain to which i can then add unlimited subdomains, ftps, shell accounts, email accounts, etc.

Below is a screenshot of what my Dashboard looks like with some of the domains that are hosted. I don't know where this idea of addon domain comes from.

For further reference, see https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-99310.html

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Nobody: 2:17am On Jun 24, 2015
cedaraustine:

Hosting accounts, some, give you the opportunity of hosting several sites on it. Ipage's for example, gives you options for each plan they have. Premiums have unlimited websites (conditional) on a hosting account.

Please tell them o. The use of Nigerian hosting companies has seriously narrowed the scope of most home-based developers today.

iPage is another powerful web hosting company based in the US.

Cc: olyivy
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by olyivy(f): 2:51am On Jun 24, 2015
prince3009:

They are not addon domains for crying out loud since i do not use any form of redirects on each of them. They are fully functional domains on their own. I currently have 14 domains hosted under my account.

Or do you think Dreamhost is like all those "Kpalasa" hosting that you Naija web developers patronize like SmartWeb, Web4Africa etc that does not have flexible and advanced hosting functions?

I can host as many domains as i like on my account and they aren't considered addon domains (the term "addon" isn't used in Dreamhost at all). Each domain i add to my account is unto itself a fully qualified domain to which i can then add unlimited subdomains, ftps, shell accounts, email accounts, etc.

Below is a screenshot of what my Dashboard looks like with some of the domains that are hosted. I don't know where this idea of addon domain comes from.

For further reference, see https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-99310.html

Oga "non-naija" web developer listen. You are not the only Nigerian using foreign host. Using them does not make you a better developer and it doesn't necessarily mean they are costlier in some cases hence non "Kpalasa" according to you. With $12 and your debit card you can get a domain and host a site for one year with Godaddy. SO chill for that side.

My point is that it is wrong to host with an account that you cannot give the client his or her own Cpanel details without informing the client.

If you explain it to the client prior to the hosting that you intend to host with your own general account and he agrees, who am I to complain but when you go ahead and host in your account where you have just one Cpanel access to multiple hosting and later come up with the legal gibberish that you cant do it, then its a crime!
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by phpier: 5:20am On Jun 24, 2015
4llerbuntu:

besides, if he was really competent at this stuff obfuscating his code should not be so difficult to do.

Ahhh .. someone finally says wat I've been thinking since .. if d devoper`s main problem is his codes ... obsfucating the codes b4 handing over d control should do d whole trick instead of holding someone`s entire business at ransom... there are so many solution for this out there ... ioncube seems to be very good at this plus other added features ....
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Nobody: 8:38am On Jun 24, 2015
prince3009:

Please tell them o. The use of Nigerian hosting companies has seriously narrowed the scope of most home-based developers today.

iPage is another powerful web hosting company based in the US.

Cc: olyivy

I have NEVER had a very good and decent-in-length working relationship with Nigerian hosting companies.
Anyone with good stories? Care to share? With details?

Few years back, I had issues then I called, my Nigerian host said I should wait till he gets 'online' or sees the nearest 'cyber-cafe.' I died and resurrected when I had online submissions for essays that day, to the site.

To each his own.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by spikesC(m): 9:39am On Jun 24, 2015
cedaraustine:

I have NEVER had a very good and decent-in-length working relationship with Nigerian hosting companies.
Anyone with good stories? Care to share? With details?

Few years back, I had issues then I called, my Nigerian host said I should wait till he gets 'online' or sees the nearest 'cyber-cafe.' I died and resurrected when I had online submissions for essays that day, to the site.

To each his own.

grin

Why nah. Pity the person nah. You think say e easy to get steady Internet connection in Nigeria.
Guys got to have a business running no matter what
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by GuiltySpark343(m): 10:53am On Jun 24, 2015
(bangs hammer...order in this thread)
Thread paparazzi: Hey it is GuiltySpark343...the likes of Zik and awolowo (papparazies kneel on one knee, camera flashing
GuiltySpark343 : Thank you, thank you...you far so kind...I am for everybody and I am for nobody (In pastors voice, any spirit of exloitation
from lincolnpix and spirit of lack of understanding from subset....DESTROY!!!!
Other NLmembers: Hey GuiltySpark didint say in jesus name
Fellow NLers: As far a he is trying to make peace (In yoruba voice) let say AMIIII

@Callmenow and @spikeC good job on your input

Now lincolnpix you said you gave your client subset access to the main features of the hosting

I say it is not necessary since he is not a programmer...(NLers supporting @subset mourmours, noise builds up in thread, GuiltySpark343 bangs hammer. screaming order in the thread

Secondly you said the database is locked

I dont understand this! the content of the database is @subset's even without a written contract (NLers supporting @subset cheers, GuiltySpark343 bangs hammer again to restore order). I understand that the website is part of an eCommerce venture

To settle a potential problem, before lincolnpix gives right to manipulate and control the contents of the database, which would be done by a database administrator(which will attract its own separate charge and it is a different job role althogeher)(read further down for explanation to this)

Now while you 4bit brains process what my 1024bit bit has said let move on to other thing.

Men i must say this is a wonder for project with possibility of making fortune 500 top companies in the near future. It cut across many disciples in IT...(Somebody whispers to his ear...Sir you are digressing, and I say Oh!)...ok @subnet you are going into ecommerce presisly B2C model , the divisions are thus (since I am in a good mood and such a since fellow, i will tell you)

1. The website - for online presence and for carrying out transactions (which you are having hard time managing................an luckily for you alcapone is not your boss or you will be swimming with the fishes grin) where you have to pay maintenance fee - just to make sure the site is running, now if a website is developed for N25,000 it could cost you N15,000 yearly to maintain the site. Note it is for him to make sure the site is online basically and responsive and not to make improvements WHAT SO EVER!

The problem of the domian name can be fix thus: if he refuses to give you full right, so as not to feel the sting (which I honestly feel you should feel 10times). if the domain was like www.subset.com you can use www.subset.com.ng (am then go to church or mosque to fast that you dont screw up again and swim...(NLers echo WITH THE FISHES...))

You failed successfully in the verification stage where you should have ensured that the deliverables were delivered...smh

2. the database and an administrator (this will seem to you like telling medieval people that the sun and not the earth is at the center of the universe. A database admistrator will mange the content of the database for you ie who order what...(am talking about customers) and due date, this should be a running cost(Now since you will like to minimize cost which is why I shopped at primark and asda in the uk) this person should be placed on salary so that if he process one order or all the order of every boko haram member that will be killed in jesus name, his salary will be the same around N65,000 monthly will do)

3 This will sound like a mystery also. Security expert to ensure that customer payment credentials are safe. Now there is a pro and con to consider, be patient)... you can get your own cyber security expert and pay around N85,000 monthly or (now the pros and cons) you move every thing to the cloud...microphone blarred, NLers covers their ears, wandering what is happen....GuiltySpark343 speaks that what i did in my MSc dissertation) paparazzi scramble to take picture but are stopped)

4 Online advertizement using Facebook - pay per click or pay per view

personally I dont know how much you paid for the project but I could have put up a crack team of experts at 45% reducing in your current charge. Once I wanted to develop a site like facebook(not exactly though) I saw screen shorts of a project by a NLer whom i contacted and was biled a MEGER N35,000( 343 sobbing) my heart bleed, i cried

(343 is handed a tissue)....Ok with no complain from lincolnpix and @subset I adjourn this thread...(hits hammer. all rise) national anthem

....National amthem ends

GuiltySpark343(soliloquizing) this @ subnet no fit be Chief technical officer, e no no say him go get IT consultant(like jega telling PMB i can work in your adminstation, so like wise) and a lawyer for contract stuffs

GuiltySpark343 (ending soliloquy)...damn am good!

....to be continued
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by feelme3(m): 11:51am On Jun 24, 2015
prince3009:

When a client meets me for a job, i charge for both Domain Registration and Hosting. I have an account with Dreamhost which allows me to purchase a domain name of my choice except .com.ng TLDs and then host the domain there on my account depending on my choice. if i want to host under DH, i simply add the domain i just purchased to host. If i want to host elsewhere, i have the option host in let's say Syskay for instance but must point the nameservers to Dreamhost since i purchased the domain name under Dreamhost.

But i preferably purchase and host under Dreamhost because they give everything from Bandwidth, Space, Emails, Sub Domains etc UNLIMITED compared to some other foreign and Nigerian hosting companies.

So lets say i log in to my dreamhost account on panel.dreamhost.com and put in my username and password...

you will see that i have like www.abcd.com, www.efgh.org, www.ijkl.net and etc. all under that account which were purchased there and is all hosted there. But in a case where you see www.mnop.com.ng in my dreamhost account, then it means i purchased that domain under let's say www.syskay.com or www.registeram.ng but hosted it under dreamhost and pointing dreamhost's nameserver (ns1.dreamhost.com and ns2.dreamhost.com etc) to the domain under Syskay or Registeram's panel

I hope this explanation helps. smiley

Oga, and you've started claiming to be a developer when you can't distingush between domain cp access and access to your account with a hosting company. They are not the same and there's no database in your hosting account. Or maybe you want to say you are a reseller.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Psylas(m): 7:49pm On Jun 24, 2015
southwestngr:

WHY ARE YOU SO PAINED? grin on top another person matter. blame the OP not the developer abeg, WHY I GO AGREE TO WETIN I NO UNDERSTAND?

@lincolnpix this your term get as he be oh. as a professional developer you should find a way to keep your code safe from others not this method you are using. e.g developing your own framework that only you can understand, encryption, hosted css on your side e.t.c

the same theif, i knw

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nairaland.com Redirecting To My.Naij.Com On Etisalat? / Meet 12 Year-old Nigerian Web Developer, Obaloluwa Odelana / How To Create An Autoresponder In An Html Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.