Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Let's Talk About Autism.... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Let's Talk About Autism.... (3345 Views)

Does MMR Cause Autism? / Ike Foundation For Autism Assesment Centre At Natiional Hospital Abuja. / Let's Talk About Marriage(homosexuality,polygamy And Others) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk About Autism.... by forlahkhe: 12:00pm On Jun 23, 2015
I remember dt wen I was pregnant, mum would caution me not to walk in sun or @ late night w.out having safety PIN attached to my cloth.....my granma even suggested that I tie stone to my cloth so I won't giv birth to autistic children. Some pple would say a pregnant woman shd not sit wit her leg spread apart....pls could it be true dt those that gave birth to children with down syndrome violated any of this rules?? *wondering*
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by 9niceguy(m): 12:04pm On Jun 23, 2015
Here to learn
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by Cutehector(m): 12:05pm On Jun 23, 2015
God knows best...
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by forlahkhe: 12:13pm On Jun 23, 2015
Cutehector:
God knows best...
Yes God knows best bt there shd be some precautions or management for children with autism. Pls is there any1 that has a neighbour wt ds defect? Ao do u cope? Wots ur view....
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 23, 2015
Op, Autism is not the same as down's syndrome. Their is a difference between the two.

Downs syndrome is a combination of physical abnormalities and mental retardation cause by a defect in a chromosome pair.
While Autism is a life long developmental disorder that affects a person ability to learn, how the person relates ad communicates with others, and how they generally perceive the world around them.

You can spot a child or person with downs syndrome by just looking at their physical appearance, but you would only know a notice a child with autism by studying their behavior.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by forlahkhe: 12:35pm On Jun 23, 2015
misssclassy:
Op, Autism is not the same as down's syndrome. Their is a difference between the two.

Downs syndrome is a combination of physical abnormalities and mental retardation cause by a defect in a chromosome pair.
While Autism is a life long developmental disorder that affects a person ability to learn, how the person relates ad communicates with others, and how they generally perceive the world around them.

You can spot a child or person with downs syndrome by just looking at their physical appearance, but you would only know a notice a child with autism by studying their behavior.
Thank u jare*thumb up*, pls ao do we prevent both or mange both?
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jun 23, 2015
forlahkhe:

There is little or nothing you can do to prevent downs syndrome. It's a genetic disorder. Such genetically based disorders can't really be prevented.
I don't really know much about the ways one can handle or treat a child with downs syndrome, but I believe there are medications, therapy and the likes.
But asides all that, if someone has a child with downs syndrome, the person should understand the child is not a curse and shouldn't be treated as such.
Love and care should be shown to such child.

Autism on the other hand is a lot more different.
The characteristics of autism basically involve

Difficulty in communication
ad interaction.
And difficulty in perception, imagination and learning .

Children with autism have problem with both verbal and non verbal communication. They have problem understanding language and processing facial expressions, and tone of voice and basically sensing the notions and reason behind people's conversation.

Autistic kids have problem with social interaction. They might find it hard to understand people's emotions and feelings and expressing their own.
They always seem to be insensitive and would rather stay alone than interact with people around them.

Due to the fact that they have a problem with verbal language and interaction they might also find it hard learning , especially in a school environment.

The way to handle autism is to first of all be able to detect that the child is autistic.
Due to ignorance, most parents, especially in Nigeria, just ignore and overlook these characteristic and signs their autistic kids exhibit.
The first thing a parent should do is inform himself about what autism really is and it's characteristics, and if they find such characteristics displayed by in their kids, they should immediately seek medical assistance.

Just like down's syndrome, there isn't any cure for autism but there are medications and therapeutical treatments that can be used to tackle the symptoms.

Also, the parent can educate themselves more about autism and seek out organisation that handle autism and parental groups and discussion platforms that deal primarily on autism.

Autism is an issue a lot of we Nigerian's tend to pay less cognizance to.
There are a lot of children out there suffering from autism and they are not given the attention and support they require.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by KanwuliaJara: 2:01pm On Jun 23, 2015
95% of NL posters are autistic!
Yeah! Lets talk about it! kiss
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jun 23, 2015
Here to read comments and learn...

Please what do you have to say about a kid of 4years who doesn't talk/interact, he makes sounds and you can only understand when he tries to call mummy.. is it normal bikonu? They've been to the hospital severally and they said nothing is wrong. . Anyone with another view?
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by juman(m): 3:01pm On Jun 23, 2015
MarvellousGod:

Please what do you have to say about a kid of 4years who doesn't talk/interact, he makes sounds and you can only understand when he tries to call mummy.. is it normal bikonu? They've been to the hospital severally and they said nothing is wrong. . Anyone with another view?

Try to use traditional medicine, we call it agbo in yoruba. Discuss with those sellers on the issue.
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by captcochrane(m): 3:03pm On Jun 23, 2015
MarvellousGod:

Apart from "talking problem", any other abnormalities?
If he has problem with posture and walking, could be cerebral palsy

If it's only talking/interactions, could be autistic disorder

I'll suggest the child should be taken to a pediatrics psychitrist
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by freecocoa(f): 3:05pm On Jun 23, 2015
juman:

Try to use traditional medicine, we call it agbo in yoruba. Discuss with those sellers on the issue.
To cure him of what exactly?
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by juman(m): 3:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
freecocoa:
To cure him of what exactly?

Yeah, to cure him. Don't underrate the traditional medicine it can also perform wonder. If not that we have very useless leaders that fail to promote our things.
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by captcochrane(m): 3:12pm On Jun 23, 2015
forlahkhe:

Incidence of down syndrome increases with the mother's age, 35years and above, the chance of giving birth to down increases

However, there is one variant that usually occur with young mothers, though it's just about 5%

So to prevent giving birth to a down child, have all your babies before 35years: this is not absolute

For autism, I guess most times, it is inherited from the father or mother
Though, the parent might not manifest it like that (it's actually a spectrum)

grin one has to take his/her partner for psychiatric evaluation including the family history to avoid risk of having autistic child grin

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by juman(m): 3:14pm On Jun 23, 2015
On other note, may be the doctors should check may be his ears are not blocked.
Talking from practical example.
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by freecocoa(f): 3:16pm On Jun 23, 2015
MarvellousGod:

It could just be delay in speech as some children are slow when it comes to these things, a cousin of mine didn't talk nor walk till he was 3+. There are techniques to help kids like that, you can do a Google search on it.
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jun 23, 2015
juman:

Unfortunately, I'm not in the south-west. Thank you
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by freecocoa(f): 3:22pm On Jun 23, 2015
juman:

Yeah, to cure him. Don't underrate the traditional medicine it can also perform wonder. If not that we have very useless leaders that fail to promote our things.
So these medicines just cure you of whatever ailment you are suffering from without diagnosis?
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jun 23, 2015
captcochrane:

No other abnormalities, he stands and walks... While watching cartoons, he'll be attempting to sing along with the characters but it's sooo incoherent but you'll know it's the song he's trying to sing...

They've seen a doctor, he's currently on speech therapy. . Though the doctor said nothing visibly wrong with him..
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by freecocoa(f): 3:28pm On Jun 23, 2015
captcochrane:

I don't think it's either as he isn't really showing enough symptoms to suggest the abov
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 23, 2015
freecocoa:
It could just be delay in speech as some children are slow when it comes to these things, a cousin of mine didn't talk nor walk till he was 3+. There are techniques to help kids like that, you can do a Google search on it.
I really hope so because his sister of 1yr+ is already making 'semi coherent' sounds..
They've got his tongue checked etc... I can't wait to see him talk well biko cos it's disturbing. .

Thank you, I'll do more research. .
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by freecocoa(f): 3:40pm On Jun 23, 2015
MarvellousGod:
I really hope so because his sister of 1yr+ is already making 'semi coherent' sounds..
They've got his tongue checked etc... I can't wait to see him talk well biko cos it's disturbing. .

Thank you, I'll do more research. .
I hope so too and really positive about it, as he doesn't exhibit other symptoms of an autistic child.

You are welcome.
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 23, 2015
freecocoa:
I hope so too and really positive about it, as he doesn't exhibit other symptoms of an autistic child.

You are welcome.
Yeap... it's well smiley
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by forlahkhe: 4:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
Yeah, u'r right. Anoda cause of down syndrome is PROLONGED labour.
captcochrane:

Incidence of down syndrome increases with the mother's age, 35years and above, the chance of giving birth to down increases

However, there is one variant that usually occur with young mothers, though it's just about 5%

So to prevent giving birth to a down child, have all your babies before 35years: this is not absolute

For autism, I guess most times, it is inherited from the father or mother
Though, the parent might not manifest it like that (it's actually a spectrum)

grin one has to take his/her partner for psychiatric evaluation including the family history to avoid risk of having autistic child grin
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by VintageCocktail(m): 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2015
forlahkhe:
Naaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Down syndrome or trisomy 21 is a chromosomal abnormality. It occurs as a result of defect in chromosome 21 during cell division. There are other syndromes like Klinefelter's, Turner's etc but the characteristics differs.
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by softvio(m): 4:51pm On Jun 23, 2015
Am here to read n learn also

last year, i came across an autistic child name Ahmed along Woji-slaughter road PH..he was very skilled in drawing..so ma question is, what's the connection between AUTISM n DRAWING? Since autism wudnt mk a child tu b connected to the society..thank u
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by captcochrane(m): 6:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
forlahkhe:

No
Prolonged labour may cause brain damage (HIE) to the child

It's similar to down syndrome with the mental retardation, but down syndrome doesn't have problem of posture and movement, though may be delayed
Re: Let's Talk About Autism.... by Tsufyaan: 6:00pm On Jul 07, 2015
@OP, Autism Spectrum Disorders as they are called comprises of the following disorders: Autism, Asperger's syndrome, Rett syndrome, Perversive Developmental Disorder Not otherwise specified and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. Out of the above listed the commonest ones are Autism and Asperger's syndrome. Our focus here is on autism.
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are defined in the
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (Fifth
Edition; DSM-5) as a class of neurodevelopmental disorders
that are characterised by persistent, complex and variable
deficits in social communication and social interaction and
restricted, repetitive patterns of behaviours, interests and
activities (American Psychiatric Association, 2013). The
symptoms present in early childhood, impair everyday
function and may fluctuate throughout the lifespan .
The best help any parents can get to assist their autistic child or children cos I've seen a case of a woman having 3 children and all of them are on the spectrum; is to get an Occupational therapist.
What are the benefits of occupational therapy for
autism?
The overall goal of occupational therapy is to help the
person with autism improve his or her quality of life at
home and in school. The therapist helps introduce,
maintain, and improve skills so that people with autism can
be as independent as possible.
These are some of the skills occupational therapy may
foster:
Daily living skills, such as toilet training, dressing, brushing
teeth , and other grooming skills
Fine motor skills required for holding objects while
handwriting or cutting with scissors
Gross motor skills used for walking, climbing stairs, or
riding a bike
Sitting, posture, or perceptual skills, such as telling the
differences between colours, shapes, and sizes
Awareness of his or her body and its relation to others
Visual skills for reading and writing
Play, coping, self-help, problem solving, communication,
and social skills
By working on these skills during occupational therapy, a
child with autism may be able to:
Develop peer and adult relationships
Learn how to focus on tasks
Learn how to delay gratification
Express feelings in more appropriate ways
Engage in play with peers
Learn how to self-regulate etc..

Occupational therapy services are available here in Nigeria and most especially in all the teaching hospitals and in case you have questions concerning autism and how to get occupational therapy service please feel free to send your questions and I will be here to answer all that is bordering your mind as per autism and how to get help for your child or children.

(1) (Reply)

I Had A Baby At 21, I Wish I Waited / Infidelity{how Come Women Forgive Easily,& Men Hardly Forgive?} / Photo: Help! Should I Allow My Wife's Sexy & Heavily Endowed Friend To Stay With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.