Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,591 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (546976 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by oyewolejos(m): 3:50pm On May 13, 2010
Lekel:

Hello people, I would love to hear your opinions about a situation regarding my planned US student visa application.

am applying for US student visa for an MBA program. Sponsorship is by an approved loan from a US lender linked with the school. So, i guess i don't have to proof personal funds (what do u think?).

my spouse is a permanent resident and my child, a US citizen. How do u good people think i can prove to the visa officer i don't have immigration intentions and i plan to come back to Naija?

by the way, i have a valid multiple entry visitors visa that I've used several times.

Looking at your situation as it appears to me u have immigration intention cos u have all your strong ties in US which suppose to be in Nigeria.Since your Visit Visa is still valid i will advice u travel to the US and get an admission with the school and then file a change of status form to F-1 Visa.Your change of status will surely be approved cos u are already in the country and if they refuse u they know u will be illegal which is bad for the polity.Just travel to the US and start the admission processes.your school will guide u through the change of status.
if u go and apply for F-1 they might refuse u and cancel your visiting visa.
Just my 2cents.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Lekel(m): 4:16pm On May 13, 2010
;d
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Cappadona123: 4:18pm On May 13, 2010
@nethacker,my aviation skol in AK wil send mè anoda I-20 4my flight trainìn cos al d dates in May has bin booked.As soon as i got it,i let u noe,pls dream Mr Joseph!Safety above all!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by khunleah: 4:22pm On May 13, 2010
hello NL, i posted my interview stuff here, i cant see ooooooooo what is issue?

Cappadona123:

@nethacker,my aviation skol in AK wil send mè anoda I-20 4my flight trainìn cos al d dates in May has bin booked.As soon as i got it,i let u noe,pls dream Mr Joseph!Safety above all!
[/q

@cappadona, tell the school to send it on time, as it is now,pple don dey take the available slot for June
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Cappadona123: 5:20pm On May 13, 2010
@kunleah,Are u nw in the states?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Cappadona123: 5:21pm On May 13, 2010
@kunleah,Are u nw in the states?Pls re-post ur interview thing again,abeg o
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by curioz: 5:46pm On May 13, 2010
When Sending Transcript ,Will one send from JSS1 to SSS3 or SSS1 to SSS3. please i need an answer fast
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 2gd: 12:01am On May 14, 2010
Hi all.Please does anyone know anybody working at passport office Abuja.
I need a reissue for my passport because of errors on it.I need it as soon as possible.I will have to travel to Abj and I need to spend as little time there as possible so I dont waste valuable time and money.Please it's urgent.
Anyone who knows anything should please drop an email or phone number thanks.
Trying to process SEVIS now.I hope my passport will not mess things up.school is supposed to resume in mid June.

People, help!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Pittbaby(f): 1:23am On May 14, 2010
@Lekel,

I will have to agree with Oye , you will not be able to prove that you dont have an immigrant intent unless you do not declare your wife and child on your application form .Very risky as it may come back to bite you when your wife attains citzenship and files your spousal visa. In cases like this i will definately proceed to the US on the already existing visiting visa and then talk to an immigration professional either the international student advisor or even a good immi lawyer . You might have to pay a lil bit put it will prevent you from making mistakes that will cause major headaches in future .
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by oyewolejos(m): 1:45am On May 14, 2010
Pittbaby:

@Lekel,

I will have to agree with Oye , you will not be able to prove that you dont have an immigrant intent unless you do not declare your wife and child on your application form .Very risky as it may come back to bite you when your wife attains citzenship and files your spousal visa. In cases like this i will definately proceed to the US on the already existing visiting visa and then talk to an immigration professional either the international student advisor or even a good immi lawyer . You might have to pay a lil bit put it will prevent you from making mistakes that will cause major headaches in future .

As if u are a witch.U read my mind straight up.I think that's the best advce he will get anywhere.

We need to see more of u on this thread Pitt.

How is King James lol
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 7:01am On May 14, 2010
kenzema, i expect u to be in TX by now, whr r u ? grin grin grin
u go see chicks u go tire for life grin grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ayosco2008(m): 10:12am On May 14, 2010
When Sending Transcript ,Will one send result from JSS1 to SSS3 or SSS1 to SSS3. please i need an answer fast
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Pittbaby(f): 10:16am On May 14, 2010
Thanks Oye , my knowledge of Student visa requirements is shaky at best , it was 5 years ago for me. But whereevr I can help I will
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Lekel(m): 11:06am On May 14, 2010
Thank you folks (pittbaby & oyewolejos) for your responses.

I just did a check on USCIS website and saw this

Change My Nonimmigrant Status

If you want to change the purpose of your visit while in the United States, you (or in some cases your employer) must file a request with USCIS on the appropriate form before your authorized stay expires.  For instance, if you arrived here as a tourist but want to become a student, you must submit an application to change your status. We recommend that you apply as soon as you determine that you need to change to a different nonimmigrant category.

Until you receive approval from USCIS, do not assume the status has been approved, and do not change your activity in the United States.  For example, if you are currently a nonimmigrant tourist, do not begin attending school as a student until you have received authorization from USCIS to change your status. If you fail to maintain your nonimmigrant status, you may be barred from returning to and/or removed (deported) from the United States. Your authorized status and the date your status expires can be found in the lower right-hand corner of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record.

In general, you may apply to change your nonimmigrant status if you were lawfully admitted to the United States with a nonimmigrant visa, your nonimmigrant status remains valid, you have not violated the conditions of your status, and you have not committed any crimes that would make you ineligible.

see full page at www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

also saw this at http://singapore.usembassy.gov/student_visas.html

Do I Need a Student Visa?

If you will be enrolled as a full-time student in a program that leads to a degree, you will need to apply for a student visa. If you are in the United States already on a Tourist (B-2 or B1/B2) visa, you will only be allowed to change to student status if you declared your intention to do so when you entered the U.S., and you will not be allowed to begin your program until the change of status is approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). The approval process often takes a long time, so it is not a good idea to try this.

J-1 Exchange Visitor visas are also commonly used for structured academic and vocational programs, though generally not for full-time programs that lead to a degree. Click here for more information on J-1 visas.

If you are going to the United States for some kind of educational activity but will not be a full-time student, you may not need to get a student visa. Click here for a discussion of other possibilities.

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Pittbaby(f): 1:53pm On May 14, 2010
@ Lekel .

To be frank this forum is not appropiate for what you are asking. any decisions you make right now may have far reaching consequences . Please talk at least to the international student advisor of the college you intend to attend. I am aware of the need to declare intent, but there may be ways around it .

Unless you have a family business waiting for you that is sizable enough, or you lie on your application there is no way around the immigrant intent . Your entire nuclear family is in the states.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by fagbon01: 3:38pm On May 14, 2010
since i av started reading this thread,there as neva bin a dull moment.even thou i have not finish reading all the threads but d little i have read as givin enof courage that i can make it tru.To every body on this thread may d good LORD surely give us a point to say THANK YOU bak to him,to Gongo aso,nethacket,asil and a whole lot of u guys dat find tym to update and even give constructive criticism to some of us that no notin at all about EVEN travelling abroad ,i cant but say thk you.
guys,i nid EVERYBODIES help,i av bin admitted to north arizona university.i av gotten my I-20,i av booked my appoint and filled the online form and told to bring the comfirmation and the oda docs. with me but i am damn scared.i will be appearing by july at ABUJA,i cudnt get lagos.I NID YOU GUYS PRAYER AND DIRECTIONS,GUYS AM SCARED,
BT I BELIEVE GOD WILL SURELY MAKE ME TO COME BACK HERE AND SAY THANK YOU TO U ALL,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by khunleah: 4:07pm On May 14, 2010
fagbon01:

since i av started reading this thread,there as neva bin a dull moment.even thou i have not finish reading all the threads but d little i have read as givin enof courage that i can make it tru.To every body on this thread may d good LORD surely give us a point to say THANK YOU bak to him,to Gongo aso,nethacket,asil and a whole lot of u guys dat find tym to update and even give constructive criticism to some of us that no notin at all about EVEN travelling abroad ,i cant but say thk you.
guys,i nid EVERYBODIES help,i av bin admitted to north arizona university.i av gotten my I-20,i av booked my appoint and filled the online form and told to bring the comfirmation and the oda docs. with me but i am damn scared.i will be appearing by july at ABUJA,i cudnt get lagos.I NID YOU GUYS PRAYER AND DIRECTIONS,GUYS AM SCARED,
BT I BELIEVE GOD WILL SURELY MAKE ME TO COME BACK HERE AND SAY THANK YOU TO U ALL,

you have to be scared, Just believe and pray, What is your major in NAU?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by fagbon01: 4:10pm On May 14, 2010
am goin in 4 ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by khunleah: 4:41pm On May 14, 2010
fagbon01:

am goin in 4 ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS

That is good, av u paid the SEVIS fee? Dont be scared just prepare ursef, wen u get the river u wil cross it
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by oyewolejos(m): 5:54pm On May 14, 2010
Pittbaby:

@ Lekel .

To be frank this forum is not appropiate for what you are asking. any decisions you make right now may have far reaching consequences . Please talk at least to the international student advisor of the college you intend to attend. I am aware of the need to declare intent, but there may be ways around it .

Unless you have a family business waiting for you that is sizable enough, or you lie on your application there is no way around the immigrant intent . Your entire nuclear family is in the states.

That's just the point.He has immigration intention and he stands to be denied if he apply to the embassy.There is no way around it cos they will surely get to know and he will be ban to apply for life.

The ball is in his court now.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Kenzema(m): 6:34pm On May 14, 2010
Hello everybody, @Nethacker, i don land oo for Texas yesterday. But I'll visit New York next week before school resume. I don miss my people this few days.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Kenzema(m): 6:39pm On May 14, 2010
Oboy,see chicks everywhere, My God! Wetin be Lagos or calabar girls to yankee chicks? Ibegi, wo, aya e ja,eru a ba e, My guys don introduce me to two chicks already. Ilu i ti dun ju,

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Pittbaby(f): 6:55pm On May 14, 2010
@kenzema

just remember what you are there for. Many have made it here and fallen by the wayside .
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Kenzema(m): 7:18pm On May 14, 2010
@Pittbaby, thanks. Im gonna watch my back buddie, By the way, where do u reside?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Kenzema(m): 7:25pm On May 14, 2010
Where's everybody? Pls tell us more visa success news,

@khunleah, how far abt ur interview?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Pittbaby(f): 8:04pm On May 14, 2010
LOL Cleveland and I am female
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Kenzema(m): 8:11pm On May 14, 2010
Thats cool baby. How long have u been here?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 8:41pm On May 14, 2010
Pittbaby:

LOL Cleveland and I am female
u schooling in cleveland?

Kenzema:

Oboy,see chicks everywhere, My God! Wetin be Lagos or calabar girls to yankee chicks? Ibegi, wo, aya e ja,eru a ba e, My guys don introduce me to two chicks already. Ilu i ti dun ju,
u nvr see anything, if u no dey go gym, abeg start to dey go so dat u go get 9ice physique, meet me for YIM later make i give u my bell, grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Pittbaby(f): 10:09pm On May 14, 2010
@ Nethacker , No I am working

@ Kenzema

Been here six years
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 1:22am On May 15, 2010
Pittbaby:

@ Nethacker , No I am working

@ Kenzema

Been here six years
ok gbogbo bigx gurls grin grin grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Kenzema(m): 6:11am On May 15, 2010
@Pittbaby,

You're in Ohio. Wooow!!

I will like to know u more oooo.

Are u kinda still single or something? Lol

Let the party begins with my hommie,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by steve49ja(m): 8:48am On May 15, 2010
Kenzema, which date de your I-20?

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.