Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Nigerians Living In Cyprus - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Living In Cyprus (78779 Views)

Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / North Cyprus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by ukicom86(m): 1:40am On Jun 28, 2014
I have been accepted
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by boblin: 8:38pm On Dec 09, 2014
Please how do I get admitted to near east or (UNIVERSITY OF LEFKE. I am 26yrs old and want to study business admin. Undergraduate. Febuary 2015 admission.My email is boblin4sure@yahoo.com
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by favourmic(m): 12:07am On Jan 31, 2015
boblin:
Please how do I get admitted to near east or (UNIVERSITY OF LEFKE. I am 26yrs old and want to study business admin. Undergraduate. Febuary 2015 admission.My email is boblin4sure@yahoo.com

I doubt your admission because of your age, but let see other people comment who lives there.
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by sandyharrison(f): 1:44pm On Dec 06, 2015
kheme:
@Europe 76: make una no spoil Cyprus for me oh!!!

you know the really funny thing about this cyprus issue 100% of those people talking trash about this island, when you ask them to leave and return to their country, dem no go go!?!?! isn't that ironic island no good, island no good, ok, GO HOME na, dem say NO! how do you explain that

i love photography, and i have tons and tons of photos. every month (not intentionally) we look through old photos and we see how much weight people have put on on this island. people come here skiny and gain weight. seriously, when some people came to North Cyprus first, they were like sick people compared to what they look like NOW. let someone say again that Cyprus is crap!

if the place is as bad, then why are people coming here to find work or coming here to pass out to other places doesn't that show how "good" this place is (contrary to the crap people say) ??

yes, job is hard to find in north cyprus, but when you get it, u fit compare am to wetin people dey pay for 9ja a friend of mine washes plates at a resturant here, she makes 1,600 turkish lira a month. at the current exchange rate from www.xe.com, 1,600TL = 157,000 naira I BEG TELL ME HOW MANY PLACES IN NIGERIA YOU WILL WASH PLATES AND MAKE 160K A MONTH?

and yea, things are expensive here, it's an island, and is not even a real country politically, what do you expect that things will be cheap here? and when they say its expensive, NOT everything is expensive here at all. i spend about 100TL a month on feeding, that;s roughly 10k naira. 1kg of rice is 300naira here, 1kg of gizzard is 300 naira, beef 1,200 naira, sugar 80naira, 1liter milk 160, what's the difference the difference is not so much. as for electronics sha, dont think it, cyprus is expensive, but just relatively. depending on what you're buying, prices may vary from 500naira to 10,000 naira.

this is another country, currency is different, money is different, you cant base costs of things here with the same eye as your country's currency, a big mistake people make when they come here. taxi in north cyprus is 5lira (typical price) which is 500naira. i was in nigeria last month, taxi in abuja is 200 naira, taxi in lagos i 1500. ALL TAXIS IN NORTH CYPRUS ARE BENZ, and i dont mean regular, i mean real benz, like C CLASS. i've even seen crysler eagle TAXI in kyrenia!!! a typical plate of food is from 500 to 2,000 naira, what's the difference? and i mean tooshed up restaurants and cafes.

yea, north cyprus is not your typical europe, but still its a place i've loved for 4yrs and i dont see what's not to like about cyprus. no jobs like that, mainly cos of the resident permit issue. its a small country, they're managing their resources. almost everything here comes from turkey. everything here is controlled, so to speak. life is simple and easy. there's little or no crime, the place is safe, its quiet, its calm and relaxing, i dont know what else people want for a place like this oh!

if you dont like it, simple go away, rather than spoil the people for those who might actually have a future here. as for me, cyprus is home for me now smiley
sounds nice, is it true that the north Cyprian schools are not internationally recognised?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by wip7: 2:38pm On Dec 06, 2015
sandyharrison:
sounds nice, is it true that the north Cyprian schools are not internationally recognised?

Really cool cool cool cool cool Try to visit each of the university website, go straight on the link of accreditation and recognition and see for yourself..then come back and write what you find out here, then you may visit those accrediation/recognition bodies to ascertain the validity.....thats how you do research...!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by sandyharrison(f): 7:46am On Dec 07, 2015
wip7:

Really cool cool cool cool cool Try to visit each of the university website, go straight on the link of accreditation and recognition and see for yourself..then come back and write what you find out here, then you may visit those accrediation/recognition bodies to ascertain the validity.....thats how you do research...!!! grin grin grin
yea thanks, I'll do that today. Do/did you study in north Cyprus?
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by wip7: 9:56am On Dec 07, 2015
sandyharrison:
yea thanks, I'll do that today. Do/did you study in north Cyprus?

Yeah I did studied in North Cyprus and am Asst.Professor now working with North Cyprus university and British Uni both as research scientist and as lecturer... cool cool cool ....I will be willing to have you in my class....next year I shall announce a Turkish sponsored project that will allow me to finance 2-4 graduate students working in my new lab......... cool cool cool cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by folible(m): 12:54pm On Dec 07, 2015
Wip7, that's really good. Please inform us when the program starts, all the best

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by sandyharrison(f): 1:00pm On Dec 07, 2015
wip7:

Yeah I did studied in North Cyprus and am Asst.Professor now working with North Cyprus university and British Uni both as research scientist and as lecturer... cool cool cool ....I will be willing to have you in my class....next year I shall announce a Turkish sponsored project that will allow me to finance 2-4 graduate students working in my new lab......... cool cool cool cool
That great, good for you. I'm still gathering info, before I make up my mind to apply. I'm getting overwhelmed sef,I know it sounds cliché but if its possible to contact you via email, I'll be glad.
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by wip7: 1:51pm On Dec 07, 2015
sandyharrison:
That great, good for you. I'm still gathering info, before I make up my mind to apply. I'm getting overwhelmed sef,I know it sounds cliché but if its possible to contact you via email, I'll be glad.

I have managed this thread since 2009 about Cyprus (https://www.nairaland.com/351402/north-cyprus) ..you can read it well...its a good guide...yes you can find my email address in this thread (skull......)
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by Joesticks: 2:19pm On Dec 07, 2015
Hello Mr. Wip7

I got admission into EMU for undergraduate studies - B.S Software Engineering.... I prefer Information Technology to that course, what do you think I should do cos i never knew there's B.S in Information Technology in the first place......

Also, I already got an appointment from the embassy slated for 4th January '16 and my intended travel date is 25th January '16 but I think I saw something on this thread that its better to wait till February 20s before traveling over, what do you think I should do about the appointment at the embassy?

Do people love article writers over there too?

Thanks for your prompt response as always....

Best Regards
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by wip7: 2:40pm On Dec 07, 2015
Joesticks:
Hello Mr. Wip7

I got admission into EMU for undergraduate studies - B.S Software Engineering.... I prefer Information Technology to that course, what do you think I should do cos i never knew there's B.S in Information Technology in the first place......

Also, I already got an appointment from the embassy slated for 4th January '16 and my intended travel date is 25th January '16 but I think I saw something on this thread that its better to wait till February 20s before traveling over, what do you think I should do about the appointment at the embassy?

Do people love article writers over there too?

Thanks for your prompt response as always....

Best Regards

Kindly post your question in this thread : (https://www.nairaland.com/351402/north-cyprus) I will reply you from that thread so that plenty threads are not created for Cyprus and people get confused which to tap info from.
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by ovusbaby(f): 8:51am On Jun 13, 2016
Pls good morning everyone , I will like to apply for nursing program in one of the cheap tuition fee university in southern Cyprus but yet my agent told me I will be able work and save fees for the second year since I will be able to pay for first year before I leave Nigeria , my questions are
How is life in southern cyprus
Can one get a manageable job aleast with out stressing oneself much, , wud need a cool reply about southern part of cyprus how life is now 2016
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by wip7: 8:14pm On Jun 13, 2016
ovusbaby:
Pls good morning everyone , I will like to apply for nursing program in one of the cheap tuition fee university in southern Cyprus but yet my agent told me I will be able work and save fees for the second year since I will be able to pay for first year before I leave Nigeria , my questions are
How is life in southern cyprus
Can one get a manageable job aleast with out stressing oneself much, , wud need a cool reply about southern part of cyprus how life is now 2016

No no no dont listen to your agent oooo...I only advise all prospective students to have adequate fund to pay the tuition and accommodation throughout their program. The common and easily accessed jobs in South Cyprus are hotel and restaurant for ladies. As a student, you have a limitation of time to work legally in south Cyprus. The laws in south for student working is slightly different from those of north Cyprus. The money you earn from these jobs may cover daily or weekly living expense or most cases pay your accommodation but may not be able to cover your tuition fees and accommodation both.

It will be great if you have at least tuition and accommodation fees for 2-3yrs and if you are lucky to find job then you can save towards the last year than for you to struggle and become depress from second year.

Kindly note: jobs are not easy to find, living expenses is high and combining Nursing and energy-dependent job is not easy.

Am not saying you should not come South Cyprus oooooo but am telling you the RAW truth based on below facts:

1. I have access to both south and North Cyprus. I live in the north and visit south anytime I want (note: only people from north with right documents or certain nationality can access south for now from north)

2. I studied in North

3. Am Asst. Professor working in the North

4. I deal with student recruitment, listen to students stories, and have practical knowledge of both countries. Worked with the international and registration office of universities here (this exposed me further to complains and illicit trade of these agents)

The ball is in your court ...play well ONLY....must of these agents are just out there to milk unaware students, lots of them are less educated, lied to prospective students, most of them believe in miracles.

Best wishes!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by Innocey(m): 3:53pm On Aug 04, 2016
House help please.
Neu bursary is demanding $100 for my transcript to be forwarded to a uni in Germany and I think that's tomuch for a single transcript to be forwarded to another school.
I already did two annuals here and I want to transfer to another country, Is that amount not tomuch for the procedure?

p.s North Cyprus is good state and a student with well to do sponsor/sponsors you're good to come over.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by slawali: 1:56pm On Aug 05, 2016
Good day house,please I need somebody who can help me or direct me to get cyprus visa either north or south.Thank you

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by DimmyCho(m): 9:41am On Dec 28, 2016
kheme:
people keep saying the schools are not recognized from north cyprus, there is a big misconception about this!!! Northern Cyprus itself is not recognized as a country, we all know that, but that doesn't mean that the schools aren't!!!

Here's the deal, after graduation from any school in north cyprus, you MUST take your degree to the YOK organization (like ministry of education) in Turkey for their attestation. WITHOUT YOK attesting your degree IT WILL NOT BE RECOGNIZED ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD! So for your degree to be recongnized anywhere in the world, you have to send it to YOK to sign it and all.

But many nigerians think that it's only the turkish students that need to take their degree to YOK and they leave the island without accreditation! you know that even your SSCE will not be recognized outside without ministry of education and ministry of foreign affairs signing them, so what makes people think their degrees will be recognized outside without the ministry of education in charge of north cyprus signing their degrees it doesnt work!

i just graduated last just and my fellow students told me "there is no need to go to YOK, it's only turkish students that do that and since you're not going to use your degree in turkey, you don't need it" that was the advice i was give. they told me that oh, so and so person graduated last year and he didnt take his to YOK!

well, i don't listen to side talks usually, so i went to the international office to enquire and i was told that without YOK signing my degree, it's just as good as a worthless piece of paper, so EVERYONE has to go to YOK with their degree!

so its good to get your information from reliable sources, people!!!

as for difference between north and south, we all have different aims in life. me, i'm here to STUDY and NOT to hustle or find better life or find greener pastures. i've been to UK twice and returned. others in my shoes WILL NOT RETURN the first time! i'm not looking to go to the south. i've been here 4 and half years and it's been touch as my parents are not rich, but i still get by (Thank God) one way or another. i've worked only 3 times on this island: once for 3months (my first summer here), one for 1 week and the last was just recently for 2months. i don't get pocket money, though i'm into computers and websites (that's where i make my change) so its possible to get by. there are people who support themselves here in north cyprus and are not working.

so if you are looking for greener pastures or something, or just wanting to leave nigeria and go elsewhere, NORTH CYPRUS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. though people use it to facilitate their "escape" as it is easy to get visas from here. people are getting visas like it's free! there was a time it felt like the Uk embassy was doing visa bonanza, lol!

anyways, before coming, make proper research guided by your reason for coming here, that's my advice! :-)

Hello sir, I just got admitted to EMU for my Masters.. how ever, I will love to discuss something with you.. here is my email dimmy_chocho@hotmail.com 07066236695
Would be glad if you messaged me so we can talk.. God bless you
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by Mystikay(m): 2:29pm On Feb 08, 2017
whats happening to this page please?
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by kheme(m): 3:21pm On Nov 06, 2017
Mystikay:
whats happening to this page please?

Make your inquiries, and someone will respond
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by mylollipop: 10:23am On Nov 28, 2017
Can one pass out to other European countries through south Cyprus? And how easy it could be?
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 28, 2017
Let me know if you got questions
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by kheme(m): 2:07pm On Nov 28, 2017
Alexkene:
Guys, I am interested in applying to European University of Lefke (EUL) for Undergraduate Bachelors degree. I don't understand the academic calendar. I want to enroll for the Spring Semester starting in February 2018. When would I be finishing year 1? How many months does an academic year lasts? Thanks guys.

Hello Alexkene,

Spring semester is from February/March to June, while Fall semester is from September/October to January. There is a summer break (usually about 3 months) between Spring and Fall semesters, which spans from the end of June, towards the end of September. Between Fall and Spring semesters, there is a few weeks break (usually less than a month).

So if you start in Spring (February 2018), your first year will end at the end of Fall, which is around January.

I hope this is clear enough.
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by lonlytroy(m): 10:41pm On Nov 28, 2017
I wish to apply for a master program in cyprus
Please which school is accepting students now
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by kheme(m): 9:32pm On Nov 29, 2017
lonlytroy:
I wish to apply for a master program in cyprus
Please which school is accepting students now

All schools are accepting applications for the Spring 2018 semester. However, I only work with the following schools in Northern Cyprus:
- Near East University
- Cyprus International University
- European University of Lefke

In you're interested in any of these schools through me, I could process your admission into one of them for Spring 2018 intake. You can email me via info@deqeoconsulting.info
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by NwaMary1: 4:26pm On Jan 11, 2018
Thank you for the good work you're doing
Please can one doing masters in Cyprus transfer to another country during the course of the program?
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by kheme(m): 8:26am On Jan 13, 2018
NwaMary1:
Thank you for the good work you're doing
Please can one doing masters in Cyprus transfer to another country during the course of the program?

Yes you can, provided you have your transcript complete up to the previous semester.

If you're not aware of how transfers work, let me try to explain.

The school you're transferring to will assess your transcript and see how it matches with the department you're transferring into. Whichever course you passed in your transcript, will be removed from the curriculum of the department you're transferring to (if it's present).

So for instance, if you passed 10 courses that are present in the new departments curriculum, and you not have to do those courses again. What's left, minus those 10 courses, is what you will take. It does not work like in Nigeria where you can transfer to "200 level" or something like that. Just so you know.

I hope my explanation was clear enough.
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by 3trillion: 11:16am On Mar 26, 2018
According to kastamonu(a nairalander that studied in north cyprus for 4years)

Yes, it is true that it is never rosy no matter where you go in Europe or America but the case of North Cyprus is much more difficult and pathetic. Here are reasons why it would be wiser to go to somewhere way better, than going to North Cyprus to work and study. I just completed my studies in North Cyprus, after spending four years of undergraduate studies, I know exactly what I am talking about here.

1. North Cyprus is not a country; it is not recognized as a country by the rest of the world; not by the United Nations or the European Union. Rather, it is a Turkish occupied territory. This is evident by the two flags used in the country; the Turkish flag and the North Cyprus flag. Both flags always stand side by side. North Cyprus relies on Turkey for everything even for soldiers to protect them.

2. The language spoken in North Cyprus is not English but Turkish. So students from Nigeria find it very difficult to adapt and settle down.

3. There are no good jobs. One of the ways through which travel agents deceive young Nigerians to go to North Cyprus, is to lie to them that there are very good jobs waiting for them in North Cyprus, but in truth there are no good jobs for students, not even in the universities (where they would be studying). The Universities offer students jobs in the library and information center with a pay that is less than N20,000 per month. Aside this, the jobs outside the universities are quite pitiful; because they are menial and very difficult jobs like construction, furniture making, bricklaying, painting and for ladies only cleaning jobs. These obviously are not jobs for students who hope to earn some money while studying. Like other students in North Cyprus, I had no other option but to do these jobs and trust me when I say, it was not easy to do them and at the same time go to school. Most times your academic suffer; you come from work, weak as a 'fried plantain' and you can not even open a page of your text book to study because you fall asleep almost immediately. By the way, these jobs are very difficult to find and the language barrier does not help.

4. You can never get a job with your certificate or diploma even after completion of your studies. In my four years here in North Cyprus, I have never seen a black man working in a good or reputable company. They never give foreigners or blacks jobs with their certificates.

4. Even you are able to get a job (a menial job), you get paid peanuts. The money would never be able to pay your school fees. Maybe it could be able to take care of your house rent and other bills but in the end you would be left with next to nothing to save.

5. You are openly cheated or exploited. After getting a job, you get paid in Turkish Lira (the official currency used in North Cyprus). But the irony is that you pay your house rent in pounds or euro. Even your school fees is paid in pounds, euro or dollars and not in the local currency which is much lower than the foreign currencies; thus you are losing money faster than water been poured in a basket. Hence you hardly save any money at the end of the month.

6. There is a high level of racism. This is not only obvious from how you are stared at when you walk on the streets or how you are treated when you go looking for jobs but actually what happens when you start working. Like I said earlier, the only available jobs are very difficult and there is an unwritten law that foreigners never get paid the same amount as citizens (turkish or cypriot), no matter how long you have been living in the country. Thus you and a citizen could be doing the same job but you get paid less than him. On the average, you get paid 50 turkish lira ($22/3,500 naira) per day while a citizen gets paid 100 tl ($45/N7,500) which is double what you earn. Sometimes you may be forced, by the owner or management of the company you work for, to do extra hours but the citizens never do extra hours.

7. Lastly another clear example of racism here in North Cyprus is the fact that a student of Cyprus International University, Gabriel Soriwei, was knocked down by a by a drunken female driver (a citizen). He fell into a coma; his dad came from Nigeria to see him while he was in the hospital. He recovered and was able to speak. But two weeks after his dad left for Nigeria, Gabriel died from a heart attack which was a direct result of the injuries he suffered from the accident. However, it took the efforts a relative of the Soriwei family, who stormed into a conference organized by agents from Cyprus International University who came to Nigeria to get students, before an a condolence message was sent to the family of Gabriel by the authorities of Cyprus International University. More disturbing and annoying, is the fact that the Soriwei family, till date, do not know the lady who knocked and killed their son; they don't even know what she looks like because the North Cyprus government and police refused to reveal the identity of the lady even after several messages from the boy's family that they just want to see her; that they have no intention of pressing charges. How sad...

*Note: If you have hopes of coming to North Cyprus to find a white girl or woman that would open doors of opportunity for you, you are mistaken and you better have a rethink. The turkish or cypriot ladies have no interest in black, more even they are racists, sometimes they even run away from you when you try to talk to them. Also the language barrier does not even encourage you to go out to search for a white girl who could possibly become your girlfriend or wife.

Lastly, if you are still in Nigeria and you intend to go abroad to study and possible work to get a better life for yourself, remove Cyprus from your list of possible countries to go. You would be better served going to a 'European' country like Germany, Spain or Italy where you could find better jobs and get better pay. If you are thinking of going to South Cyprus, also have a rethink because things are even worse there.

................to be forewarned, is to be forearmed.....All visa agents are only interested in your money and NEVER your well being.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by tossytiller: 3:31pm On May 09, 2018
[

My agent want to help me to get direct employment from Cyprus just to work and he said they will be paying me 1200 euro, Pls I need someone who can give me beta guide on it and are they paying in Euro or Turkish currency. Am thinking to stop d processing now . Anybody to help
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by yinkaokunusi: 8:31am On May 15, 2018
Hello everyone what is the state of Cyprus for work and study? is it good to go with a wife?
Re: Nigerians Living In Cyprus by yinkaokunusi: 8:39am On May 15, 2018
@tossytiller
the same case to me but i was told i will be pay 900euro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man, Wife And Three Kids Burnt To Death In Fatal Accident On Christmas Day (Pics / Heavy Traffic In Lekki As Lagos Residents Flout Lockdown / Ebonyi: "This Is My Soon To Become Airport" - Umahi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.