Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? (61423 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / 5 Things You Can Do To Get A Good Job With A 2.2 Or 3rd Class / I Just Got A Job In A University With My 3rd Class. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by udoka2: 2:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
@adewunmi
yes experience matters, thats why l said he will feel the challenge at entry level. i believe and expect he is doing something now no matter how little, he could build professional skill and competency to land him his desired job. Proffesional certification is more practical than pgd or masters thats still theorical knowledge. Personally l will employ someone at this his level with profesional skill than someone with even a masters.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by kobokokabaka(m): 2:29pm On Jun 26, 2015
pls everyone... can you tell me some schs you know that accept third class degree into direct entry...pls I need ur advice

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Chiscomax(m): 2:51pm On Jun 26, 2015
kunlap:
hi bro,you will be surprise to hear that some multinational do not care about your class of degree.just have above a diploma with any class of degree and they are ok.I have a 2.1 and an MBA so when i was employed i thought it was because of my grade.

Some few months after my friend needed a joband he had a third class there was an opening he applied and was taken because he did well during the interview.So its not the credential that matters but what you ve got inside.

cheer up bro you will find a job soon,just be consistent with your career path and add more value to your self.

what is the company's name?
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Sagamite(m): 2:58pm On Jun 26, 2015
segunn20:
I graduated with a pass in science laboratory technology from a polytechnic (national diploma) but was employ in the hospital I did my IT with a little pay but now with two year and also an undergraduate student in B.Sc Biology at National open university nigeria (NOUN) 200L

You need to improve on your grammar and ,secondly, even how to finish a sentence and get a message across in full.

Now with 2 years [experience?] and a B.Sc .............................[Then what happened?].......

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by ivyT(f): 3:04pm On Jun 26, 2015
Nicepoker:
U STUDIED micro BIOLOGY AND BAGGED A 3rd CLASS. IN OTHER WORDS U STUDIED small BIOLOGY AND GRADUATED WITH 3rd CLASS . GUY U NO TRY!

shut up.!

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Amedak(m): 3:05pm On Jun 26, 2015
Grade doesn't define success in life brother. I wish you success in all u lay your hand upon. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by stalione(m): 3:08pm On Jun 26, 2015
Nicepoker:
u want to know. Yet u termed it "so called"
yeah cos u sounds empty and ignorant
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Maishinkafa: 3:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
See advice abeg, i got a job with third class with federal government 2 weeks after my NYSC. Third class is never a failure in life nor the end of this world. Just be ur self and put ur trust in God.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by segunn20(m): 3:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
Sagamite:

You need to improve on your grammar and ,secondly, even how to finish a sentence and get a message across if full.

Now with 2 years [experience?] and a B.Sc .............................[Then what happened?].......
Thanks for the correction
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Kisses4rmDxtanx: 3:24pm On Jun 26, 2015
peeta89:
Good evening. I graduated in 2011 from a University here in Nigeria where I studied Microbiology. I actually had a third class although I am running a PGD programme at the moment and I am almost rounding off. So I want to know if I can get a job with my 3rd class degree combined together with my PGD statement of result? I am in my mid 20's. I need an urgent advice please.............

Why not?? Wen one new result cums in d older bcums as good as jst credentials, and more focus will b @ d current one. For 3rd Class 2b lifted d soln has alwz been PGD 4rm time memorial so f*ck whteva pipo tinks

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by emmaak2(m): 3:34pm On Jun 26, 2015
Can i ask ?...3rd class of what?
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by ellachic95(f): 3:36pm On Jun 26, 2015
Nicepoker:
U STUDIED micro BIOLOGY AND BAGGED A 3rd CLASS. IN OTHER WORDS U STUDIED small BIOLOGY AND GRADUATED WITH 3rd CLASS . GUY U NO TRY!
.slowpoke!

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by IkUKU01(m): 3:43pm On Jun 26, 2015
bodeoni:
Its not the degree that gets one a job, its your ability. The degree is just a way of shortlisting so as to reduce some load. One thing you could do is to de-emphasize your education on your CV and emphasize your achievements. I also think you should look outside microbiology cos its a course that hasn't really found its place in Nigeria hence few job oppurtunties.

Modified
By way of addition, I know some people will recommened that you start self-employment. Believe me, its not always the best option especially if you don't have adequate resources and proper know-how for whatever trade you might choose. Like I said earlier, de-emphasize education on all your applications. What you need to do now is gain some serious intermediate-expert level competency in various skills esp skills like Problem solving, Interpersonl skiils, Communication skills, critical thinking/questioning. You should also develop your research I.e knowing where/ how to obtain information and to properly harness or utilize said info for profit.

Nigeria is rapidly evolving and those who will be on top in the times to come are those who can properly harness the power of information (or knowledge)

Its not going to be easy, a lot of people will look down on you cos of the class of your degree. Some will even offer to pay you peanuts. You must be constantly developing yourself as you will always have to prove what you are really worth.

It will be all good in the end.
bros u are highly mouthed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Superman11(m): 3:51pm On Jun 26, 2015
Goldenheart:
There is no limit to what you can achieve.... The only thing that can limit you is you.

if you think your 3rd class cert can get you your dream job,

or not

either way, you right***

-Henry Ford Chukwuemeka

[size=18pt]Just henry FORD oog No emeka!! if he wants to work on what he naturally has talents and developed skill for that is different , but if he wants to lecture or gain employment in an industry with abit of competition, then he needs to have a PGD certificate to back his 3rd class up..

Keep moving forward
Action is always the answer- ERic Thomas[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nov15: 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2015
A lot of students get distracted in school and eventually end up with poor grades. Your 3rd class does not necessarily mean you cannot get a job but your ability to motivate yourself can do the magic. It also depends on what course you studied and the kind of job you are seeking for. I can classify jobs into two categories, General and professional. A general job for example is a job that does not strictly require that you study a particular course. the position may just require any graduate that can pass aptitude test. E.g Bank, sales, management trainee, customer care etc. On the other hand proffesional jobs are course specific (fit for purpose) eg. engineering firm recruiting engineers, Accounting firm recruiting accountants, etc. Depending on the firm, they are more interested in your present analytical and hands on skills rather than the grade of your certificate, because they will give you specific training needed to be able to work. However, because of the anticipated Large number of applicants some restrictions may be introduced like class of degree, year of graduation, age, state of origin, marital status etc.

As a fresh graduate with a third class, your focus should not be money but experience. Meaning that the jobs you may be able to get may not pay you much but you will get working experience. Secondly, you have taken the right step to improve yourself by going for PGD but you should not stop there. Ensure you get a masters degree after that. Also go for professional certification/membership. By the time you do this, you will be equipped to choose from a range of jobs. But it will not be easy but it is the ONLY choice you have if you intend to have a rewarding career.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nicepoker(m): 4:34pm On Jun 26, 2015
ellachic95:
I am a slowpoke!
of cos u are
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nicepoker(m): 4:35pm On Jun 26, 2015
ellachic95:
I am a slowpoke!
of cos u are.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nicepoker(m): 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2015
ellachic95:
I am a slowpoke!
of cos u are
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nicepoker(m): 4:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
ivyT:

shut up.!
another victim of 3rd class.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nicepoker(m): 4:40pm On Jun 26, 2015
stalione:
yeah cos u sounds empty and ignorant
relax. Don't be an outsider who mourns more than the bereaved.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by ellachic95(f): 5:49pm On Jun 26, 2015
Nicepoker:
of cos u are
...ur name gave u away grin
Nicepoker:
of cos u are
...ur name gave u away and u're no doubt living up to it...kudos
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by stalione(m): 5:51pm On Jun 26, 2015
Nicepoker:
relax. Don't be an outsider who mourns more than the bereaved.
so u've accepted ua bereaved.When next talking,think very well,lol
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nicepoker(m): 5:54pm On Jun 26, 2015
ellachic95:
...ur name gave u away grin...ur name gave u away and u're no doubt living up to it...kudos
u need to rest on this issue.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nicepoker(m): 5:55pm On Jun 26, 2015
stalione:
so u've accepted ua bereaved.When next talking,think very well,lol
I was referring to u o
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by udoojah(m): 6:54pm On Jun 26, 2015
thoughts become things sometimes!
stop thinking about your flaws friend!
its not enough reason to draw you back, infact nothing is!

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by coollexy: 6:56pm On Jun 26, 2015
guy neva be discouraged.i have 3rd class too in mech eng. but today im a qualified wellhead eng. (cant even remember d last time i applied mechanical or even come across wat i learnt in sch).beleive in ursef and just believe in God.let no man talk u down cos our destinies are different.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 26, 2015
peeta89:
Good evening. I graduated in 2011 from a University here in Nigeria where I studied Microbiology. I actually had a third class although I am running a PGD programme at the moment and I am almost rounding off. So I want to know if I can get a job with my 3rd class degree combined together with my PGD statement of result? I am in my mid 20's. I need an urgent advice please.............
I thinkk you need this " A high GPA looks good on paper, but networking and building friendship is what gets you a job". And with God's help anything is possible

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by stalione(m): 8:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
Nicepoker:
I was referring to u o
na u oo
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
Man all I can say is keep faith up. I was almost in ur situation in the University, I was in a 2.2 range and my grades were dwindling to a third Class then I thought about Nigeria job market, Parents, Thats when it dawned on me to wake up currently am done with a 2.1 all I can isay #GODWIN now hopefully off to Masters.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 8:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
Follow the steps.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Abumadea: 10:24pm On Jun 26, 2015
Bennyzino:
That 3rd class is not yet accepted in the labor market.
2.2s are still battling em way through.
But it was a nice step you took towards getting job opportunities.

Try to go for your masters afterwards.

I know someone earning 230k monthly at a primary sch in lagos island and he graduated with a third class at OAU ife.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by ivyT(f): 12:48am On Jun 27, 2015
Nicepoker:
another victim of 3rd class.
anoda victim of being rusticated

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nnpc Graduate Trainee Pay Package / Lady Looking For A Job For Her Boyfriend On Twitter / See The Nature Of N-Power Assessment Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.