Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? (61430 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / 5 Things You Can Do To Get A Good Job With A 2.2 Or 3rd Class / I Just Got A Job In A University With My 3rd Class. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 4:02am On Jun 27, 2015
Adeyemz4:
over yes u can, nigeria of today is not about ur degree or class but your input to their coy. what if u grad 1st class with a dull performance what did u want them to say about it.. sorry am working with mine, and am doing great with my coy and i have done my wedding and am living well with my own built house. i also graduated from a good uni with 3rd class in 2011. but today am happy cos i thought i was a disapointment to my parents for my poor grade. but however mine was caused by school politics it was a delebrate act from my dept in school. thankz and best of luck u can make it bro
Well said bro. Thanks bro.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 4:04am On Jun 27, 2015
bodeoni:
Its not the degree that gets one a job, its your ability. The degree is just a way of shortlisting so as to reduce some load. One thing you could do is to de-emphasize your education on your CV and emphasize your achievements. I also think you should look outside microbiology cos its a course that hasn't really found its place in Nigeria hence few job oppurtunties.

Modified
By way of addition, I know some people will recommened that you start self-employment. Believe me, its not always the best option especially if you don't have adequate resources and proper know-how for whatever trade you might choose. Like I said earlier, de-emphasize education on all your applications. What you need to do now is gain some serious intermediate-expert level competency in various skills esp skills like Problem solving, Interpersonl skiils, Communication skills, critical thinking/questioning. You should also develop your research I.e knowing where/ how to obtain information and to properly harness or utilize said info for profit.

Nigeria is rapidly evolving and those who will be on top in the times to come are those who can properly harness the power of information (or knowledge)

Its not going to be easy, a lot of people will look down on you cos of the class of your degree. Some will even offer to pay you peanuts. You must be constantly developing yourself as you will always have to prove what you are really worth.

It will be all good in the end.
Well said bro. I appreciate.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by pelumi001(m): 4:14am On Jun 27, 2015
naijainfogalery:
Yes you can if you are smart , a goal getter and got the skills.

You should use your situation to better you., From experience if you come out with 3rd class and you are also not experienced and you cant package yourself, my brother you will spend the rest of your youthful life looking for a job except you wanna settle for a teaching job, which pays quite low.

My advice would be dont waste your time looking for a job cos you might not get it as fast as you think, but here is what you are going to do.
1. Look for companies that would need your service , google is your friend
2. Send them a message that you want to come and work for them for free for 3 months after which you promise to beat some of their best employee . Employers like competition and this kind of boldness
3. Some will reply while some wont, look for the one with a good name that would help boost your career.
4. Give in your best for the 3 months, work your asss out, remember you are only trying to prove yourself, be one of the first to resume and one of the last to leave, you are just trying to gain peoples attention, let the top dogs in that industry see you, meanwhile im not asking you to do eye service cos it will come back hunting you
5. After 3 months if you deliver you will know and if you didnt you will know, But lets assume you delivered, just walk up to the MD's office and tell him you have accomplished your mission and you are ready to quit
6. Any wise business man would want to retain you, then they will offer you small change
7. Reject and name your price,

From experience your first job is usually the hardest, once you get it, your next job wont ask for 3rd class bullshit all they will care about is your experience from previous job

97% Graduate wont be able to do it, but one person that followed this advice thoroughly is now a manager in one of the big firms in Nigeria. He got to the top of the ladder in less than 5 years.
Note: Hardwork, smartness and dedication pays

I wish you could be my mentor!
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 4:20am On Jun 27, 2015
Hi
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 4:31am On Jun 27, 2015
focus7:
Op, send an e-mail to me you can get a job.
bro good morning. You said I should send u my email. And pls you will indicate that you were the person that talked abt d job stuff.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 4:34am On Jun 27, 2015
MrsAnyanwu:
u are a slow poke for saying dis, people lyk u disgust me, hv u seen the walls of a university? Trash
Good morning. I like the way you replied ths dude. I don't think he's in school. Take kia of u.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by ibntwk: 4:50am On Jun 27, 2015
Worry less! Mind u, many of d successfully bank CEOs and in other sectors that I know graduated with what u have, d list is endless though I need not mention names here. All u need do is to develop yourself and proved all doubting Thomas wrong. Most of d people with higher grades can't defend them, only few can...

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 4:50am On Jun 27, 2015
Nicepoker:
u are going too far guy. We. Are only discussing. On a public forum disagreement are bound to occur.
Well said bro. I purposely shared my experience on NL so we will all discuss as brothers and sisters over the issue and some people are insulting each other.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by meccuno: 4:58am On Jun 27, 2015
bodeoni:
Its not the degree that gets one a job, its your ability. The degree is just a way of shortlisting so as to reduce some load. One thing you could do is to de-emphasize your education on your CV and emphasize your achievements. I also think you should look outside microbiology cos its a course that hasn't really found its place in Nigeria hence few job oppurtunties.

Modified
By way of addition, I know some people will recommened that you start self-employment. Believe me, its not always the best option especially if you don't have adequate resources and proper know-how for whatever trade you might choose. Like I said earlier, de-emphasize education on all your applications. What you need to do now is gain some serious intermediate-expert level competency in various skills esp skills like Problem solving, Interpersonl skiils, Communication skills, critical thinking/questioning. You should also develop your research I.e knowing where/ how to obtain information and to properly harness or utilize said info for profit.

Nigeria is rapidly evolving and those who will be on top in the times to come are those who can properly harness the power of information (or knowledge)

Its not going to be easy, a lot of people will look down on you cos of the class of your degree. Some will even offer to pay you peanuts. You must be constantly developing yourself as you will always have to prove what you are really worth.

It will be all good in the end.
best post
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 5:09am On Jun 27, 2015
Amedak:
Grade doesn't define success in life brother. I wish you success in all u lay your hand upon. Cheers!
Wish u same also.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Champella(m): 7:43am On Jun 27, 2015
mystery1979:
there is nothing to worry about,most companies engage people based on experience and professional courses/training,look for a small scale company where you can learn/enhance your skill on the profession you desire,it may or may not be something related to microbiology.you may not be getting enough money as you want but I tell you that you will smile later.the job I am doing now is what I learnt during my 6months IT.after graduation,i went back to work there on a salary of 35k a month and was owed for 6 months,though I was paid later, rented an apartment and moved out from my parents house for the first time.i got a job after two years with a salary of times 5 of my former salary,i am still employed now based on that singular skill I got during my IT,married with two kids.you won't believe that till now,my employer have never asked for my university degree,instead they are more concerned with my professional certificates.well I don't know that is obtainable in other profession,i am a welding inspector.bros remain focused.

Hello brother!

I would love to find out some things from you about this CWI. Please let's discuss privately so we don't derail the topic. My number is on my signature
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Champella(m): 8:01am On Jun 27, 2015
coollexy:
guy neva be discouraged.i have 3rd class too in mech eng. but today im a qualified wellhead eng. (cant even remember d last time i applied mechanical or even come across wat i learnt in sch).beleive in ursef and just believe in God.let no man talk u down cos our destinies are different.

Hello Boss

Please i need some vital information from you. Let's discuss on whatsapp. My number is on my signature. Hoping to hear from you.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by cutieme(m): 8:07am On Jun 27, 2015
@focus7 what type of job is it?I think am still interested. I've sent u a pm.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by MrsAnyanwu(f): 9:36am On Jun 27, 2015
peeta89:
Good morning. I like the way you replied ths dude. I don't think he's in school. Take kia of u.
good morning to u my dear,he's taking his Frustration out on d OP, at Least d OP went to skl,while him he didn't, people lyk him just irritate me seriously,takia of u too my dear, nyz day,aiit
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by hertz9te(m): 9:43am On Jun 27, 2015
Adeyemz4:
over yes u can, nigeria of today is not about ur degree or class but your input to their coy. what if u grad 1st class with a dull performance what did u want them to say about it.. sorry am working with mine, and am doing great with my coy and i have done my wedding and am living well with my own built house. i also graduated from a good uni with 3rd class in 2011. but today am happy cos i thought i was a disapointment to my parents for my poor grade. but however mine was caused by school politics it was a delebrate act from my dept in school. thankz and best of luck u can make it bro
typical nigerians,always blaming their shortcomings on people around them......Bros no vex,i was just trying to illustrate something
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Cavenchy(m): 10:22am On Jun 27, 2015
hertz9te:

typical nigerians,always blaming their shortcomings on people around them......Bros no vex,i was just trying to illustrate something

Bro what the man said is true. You certainly didn't attend Nigerian government run old generation universities 10years ago and above. This sort of behaviour was common place. Or haven't you heard of girls who were graded poorly cos they refused their lecturers immoral advances? Or guys not paying for handouts? Before mobile phones and social forums were rampant, it was hard to expose these individuals. Many students suffered in silence. Those of us lucky to pass through in flying colours know what we went through.
Now while this man graduated recently, he probably was still a victim of such. Don't judge.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by SadiqDO(m): 1:03pm On Jun 27, 2015
bodeoni:

What you need to do now is gain some serious intermediate-expert level competency in various skills esp skills like Problem solving, Interpersonl skiils, Communication skills, critical thinking/questioning. You should also develop your research I.e knowing where/ how to obtain information and to properly harness or utilize said info for profit.

Thank you for this very important piece of advice. I've always heard people suggest improving on particular technical skills and gaining more knowledge (which is essential) but can't remember ever being advised to work on improving soft-skills. But how would you advise one goes about that?

Thanks again.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 1:49pm On Jun 27, 2015
MrsAnyanwu:
good morning to u my dear,he's taking his Frustration out on d OP, at Least d OP went to skl,while him he didn't, people lyk him just irritate me seriously,takia of u too my dear, nyz day,aiit
Take kia of u also. Nice day ahead.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by mayor20(m): 4:13pm On Jun 27, 2015
Nicepoker:
U STUDIED micro BIOLOGY AND BAGGED A 3rd CLASS. IN OTHER WORDS U STUDIED small BIOLOGY AND GRADUATED WITH 3rd CLASS . GUY U NO TRY!

If this indidvidual finished with a third class without doing any departmental runz he can defend and compete strongly with a 2nd class product. If every individual can be re- assessed academically in their discipline you will find out that some 3rd class product will fade out some gradaute with some " wonder 2.1 " result.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by naijainfogalery: 5:11pm On Jun 27, 2015
Well i could try LOL i have just noticed something about life, iron sharpeneth iron, we all need a push
pelumi001:

I wish you could be my mentor!
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by bodeoni: 5:21pm On Jun 27, 2015
SadiqDO:

Thank you for this very important piece of advice. I've always heard people suggest improving on particular technical skills and gaining more knowledge (which is essential) but can't remember ever being advised to work on improving soft-skills. But how would you advise one goes about that?

Thanks again.

Please send me a mail through my profile, will be glad to discuss with you thru that platform. Cheers
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by pelumi001(m): 9:42am On Jun 29, 2015
naijainfogalery:
Well i could try LOL i have just noticed something about life, iron sharpeneth iron, we all need a push
Sir pls let mehave your personal contact.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by zeenaira(f): 10:48am On Oct 05, 2015
divinelove:

stop wasting money doin PGD jst go for self employment with the money u will b beta off undecided

millions of Msc holders cnt even get a job talk more of third GINI lipsrsealed

d only way u will get a job with third class is thro ur connection and mostly a private company

u may even b beta than some first class holder but will u get d chance to prove it
is it everyone that is cut out for business?
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by princehabyb(m): 1:45pm On Oct 05, 2015
Lay a foundation of passive income for life and earn @least N1,320 per day or N16,500- N33,000 weekly without selling anything ..All needed is just with seed capital of N6,600,which also automatically qualifies you as a member. Is your desire hot enough to make this real??..check my signature!
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by babaireti(m): 1:47pm On Oct 05, 2015
Then go back to School and stop asking this FOOLISH question all the time
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by MrsAnyanwu(f): 9:32pm On Nov 07, 2015
peeta89:
take kia of u too dear, I hope u've gotten what u were looking for, never ever give up, ok ,God bless u
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 12:26am On Dec 04, 2015
Can 3rd class graduate get a job?
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by esoboy875(m): 5:15am On Dec 04, 2015
MicroBox:
please don't go for your masters yet, my advice might sound funny but for me go get HND related to your course, you are still in your mid twenties. Your first degree is always the first requirement not your masters degree.
Why HND?
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by adamshuaib(m): 1:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
Adeyemz4:

Sir, can u give an example of how u got to overcome this problem and how u make it plss
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by JARUSHUB: 1:09pm On Jan 25, 2016
peeta89:
Good evening. I graduated in 2011 from a University here in Nigeria where I studied Microbiology. I actually had a third class although I am running a PGD programme at the moment and I am almost rounding off. So I want to know if I can get a job with my 3rd class degree combined together with my PGD statement of result? I am in my mid 20's. I need an urgent advice please.............If you are still wondering, you should read this http://www.jarushub.com/after-third-class-or-pass-degree-what-next-a-workshop-feb-6/

Tips for graduates with 2.2 and lower grades:
http://www.jarushub.com/10-tips-for-graduates-with-2-2-and-lower-grades/
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by youngsahito(m): 6:29am On Jan 09, 2018
Maishinkafa:
See advice abeg, i got a job with third class with federal government 2 weeks after my NYSC. Third class is never a failure in life nor the end of this world. Just be ur self and put ur trust in God.
dats ur story was awesome.what advice can u give a 3rd class accounting graduate that is currently in his service year. waiting 4 ur humble reply.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by trendyid(f): 9:25am On Jan 09, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nnpc Graduate Trainee Pay Package / Lady Looking For A Job For Her Boyfriend On Twitter / See The Nature Of N-Power Assessment Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.