Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm (62825 Views)

Photos Of A Big Python Killed In A Farm / Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by wolejoko2(m): 4:47pm On Apr 11, 2016
Pls add me to the whatsapp group. 08068023573
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by guchilady: 9:24pm On Apr 14, 2016
08136288399 pls add me to the group.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by guchilady: 9:48pm On Apr 14, 2016
Op pls can we see how you constructed the under part of ur pen to knw hw water drains away.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by emmybiz(m): 8:41am On Apr 21, 2016
Neduzze5:

Wow.... If it's 200 NGN each, then how many could you possibly buy? I'm equally in Port Harcourt. Where precisely are you?

Can you sent me the contact detail of where you bought your brood stock and what's the minimum order, because the farmer I contacted said his minimum is 500pcs at 200 each.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 9:03am On Apr 21, 2016
emmybiz:

Can you sent me the contact detail of where you bought your brood stock and what's the minimum order, because the farmer I contacted said his minimum is 500pcs at 200 each.

How many would you want to buy and where's your location?
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by ocdhotel(m): 5:56am On Apr 22, 2016
Hi
Pls add me to this group : 08055522156
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by emmybiz(m): 9:52am On Apr 22, 2016
Neduzze5:

I live in Anambra state and will need 100 for a start .Can I have your personal contact
eji.kingsley@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by gechyy2(f): 2:16pm On Apr 22, 2016
Snail farming seems very interesting following this thread.. Pls how can I construct a pen using tyres... Do I need to build a shade at my backyard before using the tyres?
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by RichYoungRuler(m): 12:17pm On Apr 25, 2016
gechyy2:
Snail farming seems very interesting following this thread.. Pls how can I construct a pen using tyres... Do I need to build a shade at my backyard before using the tyres?

Hi, you stack tyres on each other say 3 or 4. U put a net on the one before the topmost to prevent a jailbreak. U would have put some soil in the last one beneath. Can send a picture when I'm less busy. Hope U understand though?
Having a shade is not a bad idea but the tires provide a shade with the snails staying in the inner parts of the tyres. The stack also provide shades for them.

3 Likes

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by GeorgeArmani042: 2:17am On Apr 26, 2016
Please I'm new here...I live in owerri in IMO state..And don't know anything about snail rearing And will like to visit any Agricultural farm n owerri if there if any...How do i go about it please...This is my Email- Ofodile.george@yahoo.com...Please help ...I really need guide line...
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by emmybiz(m): 12:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
Neduzze5:

l base in Anambra state and will like to start with 100
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Gbengawate(m): 7:01pm On Apr 26, 2016
Please I need brood stock. I am based in Ibadan. I will require 100 for a start

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 12:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
Good morning everyone. Most especially the op I was in the group then but I left not because pride nor because I know it all. But because of some certain statement made by some persons (without proper verification or investigation) about someone in the group the person also left too. That aside I will be coming back to it later.
Kudos to everyone that have started snail farming it is never easy to start something. But you guys took the bull by the horn well done to you all.
But some of us go into snail farming without much knowledge about the type of snail we are farming.
Check threads of Hugoboss, dyoungforester, world1, marcino, marketresearch ( sorry I mentioned ur name here although we are E-fighting) afrocatalyst. They all discussed to a large extent the types of snail that are good for farming. Some of them are more of the free range farming school of thought, for me I don't fancy that type of pen.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 12:59pm On Apr 29, 2016
They say knowledge is power. But I'm of the school of thought that says applied knowledge is power. It me give my own little knowledge about snail farming. At op I please give me the permission to proceed or stop.
I will start with the toxicology of snail meat (a.f)
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 1:07pm On Apr 29, 2016
Fulica can be harmful or toxic if not properly managed some problems they can cause are lungworm which can cause inflammation of the brain. The toxicity was discovered under the following conditions.
1. Meat not properly cooked
2.snail whose pen are over populated
3. snail farmed under free range system that comes in contact with rat.
avoiding these makes snail meat 100percent edible
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 1:15pm On Apr 29, 2016
For a.a
Achatina-Achatina the most prized type of snail because of its size. Although not easy to farm. They don't have much problems like fulica. Proper boiling kills all pathogen that might be present in the meat. However boiling doesn't remove heavy metal in the snail therefore therefore you must ensure that your soil is heavy metal free.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 1:24pm On Apr 29, 2016
Let me proceed to feeding
The most essential feed a snail is calcium. Several snail farmers use different kinds of calcium supplements but what I use is limestone I mix it with the soil. It is very economical and work better than most calcium supplements it's about 2500 for 50kg I also use moringa.
Snail get tired of eating one thing over time try to change their food time to time.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 2:12pm On Apr 29, 2016
Next is snail business. Snail is much more than selling snail.. Watch out for next update
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by cool318(m): 11:15pm On Apr 29, 2016
invinzible1:
Let me proceed to feeding
The most essential feed a snail is calcium. Several snail farmers use different kinds of calcium supplements but what I use is limestone I mix it with the soil. It is very economical and work better than most calcium supplements it's about 2500 for 50kg I also use moringa.
Snail get tired of eating one thing over time try to change their food time to time.

i have some questions great Tutor,
pls does calcium affect the egg laying or production in Snails?
kindly enlighten us on where one can easily get calcium (limestone )
thanks
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 12:55am On May 03, 2016
Calcium is 80per cent of what snails need to grow and acquire strong shell. If snail have enough calcium its helps in producing high number of eggs with strong shell
To get limestone depends on your area most big construction company have them they sell in kg.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 9:04am On May 04, 2016
invinzible1:
They say knowledge is power. But I'm of the school of thought that says applied knowledge is power. It me give my own little knowledge about snail farming. At op I please give me the permission to proceed or stop.
I will start with the toxicology of snail meat (a.f)
Sorry this came late. Permission denied.. .....

Lolzz, I love sharing information. So anybody in that same school of thought is much welcome here.

Carry on bro
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by hary158: 7:14pm On May 04, 2016
thank u guys for all the wonderful information shared on this thread. indeed they are veered towards helping people gain financial independence throw snail farming..

I am seriously interested in snail farming , I have secured a plot of land I want to use...@op can u please send me an email or give me ur contacts so I can contact u and learn from u one on one. my email is d_mcharris@yahoo.com.

your speedy response will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by taif(f): 1:37pm On May 05, 2016
Gud day is there any snail farmer in ogun state dt can be supplying me snail in whole sale

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Ebi4life: 9:49pm On May 05, 2016
ciouxox:
Do you have brood stock? How much do you sell please?
Pls, why do you say we shouldn't buy from the market, are they bad?
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 12:09am On May 07, 2016
Which part of Ogun state I stay close to tollgate
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 12:09am On May 07, 2016
What's app me 07086454953
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by vickifeanyi47(m): 1:42pm On May 07, 2016
Please how Much capital will be needed to start with 100 . can I use a half cut geepee tank..will that be OK..I need advice urgently, thanks
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 11:28pm On May 07, 2016
U hv to construct a near perfect pen to avoid invasion of ants and other leeching insects..

vickifeanyi47:
Please how Much capital will be needed to start with 100 . can I use a half cut geepee tank..will that be OK..I need advice urgently, thanks
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by taif(f): 9:49pm On May 10, 2016
invinzible1:
Which part of Ogun state I stay close to tollgate

I stay in sagamu
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by PAO429: 9:20am On May 13, 2016
i can help with snails from bushes.... i ve farmers who supply me....m also into rearing of snail

whatsapp 08068981950
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by skyraida(m): 1:45pm On May 13, 2016
Hello Bro!
I'm really interested in this topic, cos am about starting my own Snails farm but the major challenge am facing is where to buy the stock for start up.
I need 200 matured Achachantina Marginata for a start, Pls. do you have an idea of where i can get this breed of Snails in lagos.
I intend to start this month.
I'm expecting your response any time soonest.
Thanks!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by invinzible1: 3:01pm On May 13, 2016
[quote author=skyraida post=45583892]Hello Bro!
I'm really interested in this topic, cos am about starting my own Snails farm but the major challenge am facing is where to buy the stock for start up.
I need 200 matured Achachantina Marginata for a start, Pls. do you have an idea of where i can get this breed of Snails in lagos.
I intend to start this month.
I'm expecting your response any time soonest.
Thanks!
What'sapp me 07086454953

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? / My New Tomatoes Farm / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.