Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm (62831 Views)

Photos Of A Big Python Killed In A Farm / Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 10:11am On Jun 30, 2015
Dannyset:

Share pictures!

Sorry was very busy yesterday, couldn't get the feeds. but will get them today and i'll share the pictures as well.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by opeaceo: 10:52am On Jun 30, 2015
austin2all:
Nice thread bro, I have a few questions to ask. I'm a novice to snail farming but I intend to give it a try in a short time.
Pls how do you source their feeds? Like how many broods will you use for this size of pen? And how often do the snails require attention in a day?
I'll be glad if you can also update us with the financial implications of rearing snails of this size of pen.
Thanks.

Their feeds are easy to get, left over fruits would do like pawpaw and its likes. Avoid fruits with a hard back and if you know people who make fruit juice at home, you can collect the chaff and also waterleaf stalk would do.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 11:53am On Jun 30, 2015
opeaceo:

Their feeds are easy to get, left over fruits would do like pawpaw and its likes. Avoid fruits with a hard back and if you know people who make fruit juice at home, you can collect the chaff and also waterleaf stalk would do.

They eat that too if you are keeping them as pets. But for business don't even think of relying on such feeds. Give them a formulated feed that can boost there growth in 6 or 7 months.

2 Likes

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 1:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
yazz09:

They eat that too if you are keeping them as pets. But for business don't even think of relying on such feeds. Give them a formulated feed that can boost there growth in 6 or 7 months.

Who dah hell keeps snails as pets? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Dannyset(m): 2:06pm On Jun 30, 2015
Neduzze5:

Who dah hell keeps snails as pets? undecided
grin

That person must have seen where somebody said ur treating the snails like ur pets.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by opeaceo: 2:25pm On Jun 30, 2015
yazz09:

They can actually survive on that, you can set aside some snails and try that with them, trust me, they'll grow fast.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 2:26pm On Jun 30, 2015
Dannyset:
grin

That person must have seen where somebody said ur treating the snails like ur pets.

Lolz.... Damn pets!! Let them mature first, I'll just start by grilling them with pepper and spices, eat them deliciously with a can of malt or Orijin to wash it in!
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Dannyset(m): 3:04pm On Jun 30, 2015
Neduzze5:

Lolz.... Damn pets!! Let them mature first, I'll just start by grilling them with pepper and spices, eat them deliciously with a can of malt or Orijin to wash it in!
Strictly business bro! Eat for where? Man shall not live by food alone oo!
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 3:05pm On Jun 30, 2015
Dannyset:

Strictly business bro! Eat for where? Man shall not live by food alone oo!

If ah hear say ah no chop. All work and no play makes Jack a dull nigga
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Dannyset(m): 3:33pm On Jun 30, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yinmu! Am not in for play too bro! Told my people at home not to expect any side attraction from it. For now, this is business and that's what it would remain.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 3:53pm On Jun 30, 2015
Dannyset:

Yinmu! Am not in for play too bro! Told my people at home not to expect any side attraction from it. For now, this is business and that's what it would remain.

Lolz... You put in much capital. Didn't put in much though
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Dannyset(m): 4:12pm On Jun 30, 2015
Neduzze5:

Lolz... You put in much capital. Didn't put in much though
Not yet, but about to! It's good to do it once and for all. am not going into it for the fun of it.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 4:29pm On Jun 30, 2015
Dannyset:

Not yet, but about to! It's good to do it once and for all. am not going into it for the fun of it.

Alright kudos... You dey the whatsapp group ba?
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 4:37pm On Jun 30, 2015
Neduzze5:

Its good not to meddle your business with your personal life. If you must chop, pay yoursef for the ones you'll eat.

Else they'll be so delicious you will eat them all under one month.

As for these no free one.

Guys, I'll be going to get the feeds soon, will update as soon as I get them.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Dannyset(m): 5:29pm On Jun 30, 2015
Neduzze5:

Alright kudos... You dey the whatsapp group ba?
U shld hav spotted me there na!
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Austin234(m): 2:51pm On Jul 01, 2015
Following
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 11:15pm On Jul 01, 2015
OK guys,

I know I promised to post the feed pix yesterday, but I was very busy.
Today, as promised, I was able to get my boys. Could not yet get the , hence I gave them tomatoes and ugu. I just pray I'll have enough time to get the feed tomorrow.

Tip: don't bother your snails in the afternoon, that's wen they re sleeping. Feed them early in the morning and at sunset.

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 5:35am On Jul 02, 2015
I must get the feeds today, no matter how busy I am. I'll make time nd get it. Will upload more pictures in the evening.

Tip: protect your snails from heat and wind. Both factors dehydrate them, which will make them hibernate

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 6:13am On Jul 02, 2015
Bro, your soil isn't good ooh!!
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 7:13am On Jul 02, 2015
Neduzze5:
Bro, your soil isn't good ooh!!

OK, should I add more

Note: it's black Loamy soil from our flower garden
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:21am On Jul 02, 2015
yazz09:

OK, should I add more

Note: it's black Loamy soil from our flower garden

It looks like sandy soil. Is it easily penetrable? And seems like it has too much water
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 12:26pm On Jul 02, 2015
Neduzze5:

It looks like sandy soil. Is it easily penetrable? And seems like it has too much water

No it's not sandy, and it's not water logged. There is a hole under that drains excess water. The sand is wet all day.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Dannyset(m): 12:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
yazz09:

No it's not sandy, and it's not water logged. There is a hole under that drains excess water. The sand is wet all day.
But the soil look packed and not much.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Hardheolar(m): 1:13pm On Jul 02, 2015
you have the wrong soil in there. the soil is noy much enough.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 2:58pm On Jul 02, 2015
Hardheolar:
you have the wrong soil in there.
the soil is noy much enough.

Are you into snail farming bro?
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by drealaz24(m): 8:39am On Jul 03, 2015
I shall be going into snail farming in less than two months time. I am just abt to acquire 3plots of land. snail farming and probably with plantain

pls highly experienced snail farmers shud signify. thanks
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 9:51am On Jul 03, 2015
yazz09:

Are you into snail farming bro?

Can your snails drill into the soil? If they can't, then that is a very wrong soil. It doesn't drain water easily

1 Like

Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 1:43pm On Jul 03, 2015
Neduzze5:

Can your snails drill into the soil? If they can't, then that is a very wrong soil. It doesn't drain water easily
Yes, they've been drilling into the soil. I'll upload some of the pics of those that are underground later when I come back from work.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by yazz09(m): 1:50pm On Jul 03, 2015
drealaz24:
I shall be going into snail farming in less than two months time. I am just abt to acquire 3plots of land. snail farming and probably with plantain

pls highly experienced snail farmers shud signify. thanks

There combination is a perfect marriage. The plantain will serve as shade for the snail. But don't plant them near the fence or else your snails will escape from it.
Or you can build separate open pens all across the land.

Send any questions or comments here so we'll all learn and grow together.
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by drealaz24(m): 3:56pm On Jul 03, 2015
yazz09:

There combination is a perfect marriage. The plantain will serve as shade for the snail. But don't plant them near the fence or else your snails will escape from it.
Or you can build separate open pens all across the land.

Send any questions or comments here so we'll all learn and grow together.

I am planning to build a big square pen and cover it with palm fronds. I am planting outside d pen.

or is there a better way to do it? (like d combination u are talking abt)

pls share
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by lasisima: 6:33pm On Jul 03, 2015
Hi my fellow snail farmer, please is there any snail farmer in Ibadan, I stay at Ibadan and want to know if any snail farmer is in Ibadan. Am planning to start a small snail farm in my compound and still thinking on how to start with..........,
Re: Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:41pm On Jul 03, 2015
lasisima:
Hi my fellow snail farmer, please is there any snail farmer in Ibadan, I stay at Ibadan and want to know if any snail farmer is in Ibadan. Am planning to start a small snail farm in my compound and still thinking on how to start with..........,

Post your number so that you will be added to the Naja snail farmers whatsapp group

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? / My New Tomatoes Farm / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.