Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,636 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

240naija's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 240naija's Profile / 240naija's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (of 8 pages)

Politics / Police Attack Striking NLC Leaders In Ebonyi State by 240naija(m): 8:12pm On May 19, 2016
The police in Ebonyi State on Thursday attacked and beat up members of the Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC, who staged a peaceful protest in the state against the increase in pump price of petrol by the federal government.

The workers were intercepted by a team of police officers who attacked them near Pastoral Centre along the Abakaliki-Enugu Expressway as they were on a peaceful protest.

The police, Premium Times learnt, teargased the workers ceaselessly and beat up leaders of the union including the state chairman, Ikechukwu Nwafor, who was seen rolling on the ground as the police officers kicked and beat him.

He was later bundled into a waiting white Police Hillux van by four police officers and taken to the Police Headquarters in Abakaliki alongside about 15 other labour leaders.

The police claimed the workers did not obtain clearance to carry out the protest, an allegation debunked by Mr. Nwafor.
The workers had gathered as early as 8AM at their secretariat along the expressway and took off on the protest along the expressway.

One of the labour leaders, Greg Ishaya, was seen at the police station with minor injuries on his hands, which he said was from the attack.

Mr. Nwafor was in pain as he limped from knee injuries sustained during the attack.

The police commissioner denied that the workers were attacked.

He claimed that police used “minimal force” to disperse the crowd, and insisted that the protesters did not inform the police before embarking on the demonstration.
But Mr. Nwafor denied that claim. He said the union duly informed the police of the protest.

“We were on a peaceful demonstration against the increase in fuel pump price and electricity tariff when the police attacked us. We gave them a letter, I was calling the Commissioner and she didn’t pick my calls and we have evidence to that,” he said.

“What we were doing is a peaceful demonstration and all of a sudden the police came and attacked us. When we saw them we thought they were coming to protect us. They tear gassed us. They lifted me up and hit me on the ground and gave me a thorough beating.

Five of them later lifted me up and threw into their hillux van like a common criminal,” he said.

http://www.levitoday.com
Politics / Can The President Of Nigeria Be Sued To Court? by 240naija(m): 4:31pm On May 19, 2016
PLEASE THIS ARGUMENT IS REALLY GOING BIG IN MY AREA .....I NEED YOUR REPLY NAIRALANDERS...

THANKS
Nairaland / General / Moment Nigerian Mom Threw Her 3 Children From 4th Floor Of A Burning Building by 240naija(m): 10:18am On May 04, 2016
We present to you one of the incredible escape of all time. A heart-stopping moment woman throws her three children from fourth story window of a burning South Korean building to US airmen below.
This is the incredible moment that a South Korean mother flung her children from a burning a building to US airmen waiting to catch them below (pictured left, the woman dangles her child over the edge, and right, lets him drop to the crowd below)

This is the incredible moment a terrified mother-of-three flung her children from a burning building in South Korea to a group of US airmen waiting to catch them below.

Cellphone footage shows 30-year-old Precious Enyioko, who was trapped on the 4th story with her three children, aged just 7 months, 3 and 4-years-old, as the building burned around them.

Cellphone footage captured the moment the child plummeted down four stories from the burning building

US airmen, from the nearby Osan Airbase, in Pyeongtaek county, South Korea, had spotted the commotion last Friday afternoon and quickly assembled a rescue team of locals and military on the ground below.

As thick black smoke billowed out the windows of the building, the desperate woman was finally persuaded to drop her baby. The screams of the horrified crowd were heard as the child plummeted four stories before it was safely caught in the rescue teams' blanket below.

Precious Enyioko, pictured with two of her children, said it had been incredibly hard to bring herself to drop her children

The baby was followed by Enyioko's other two children, who were thrown from the blazing building, before their mother flung herself from the window.

Thankfully, she too landed safely on the blanket being held by the US military forces and the locals. 'It was so difficult to drop my children. It was so dark in the room and the kids were coughing and crying. When I saw the people gathering with the blanket, I could see it was military members, I thanked my God,' she told DVIDS.

Her husband, Prince Enyioko, said he was overwhelmed with gratitude to the airmen for saving the lives of his wife and child. 'I really appreciate what happened that very day. I don't know how I can explain my thanks. Without them I don't know what I would do – I am so grateful for the wisdom of the military men and women.' Enyioko told DVIDS.

Enyioko from Nigeria, said he felt 'helpless' after returning home from work to find his family trapped by the blaze. 'I tried to help my family but I couldn't. I was so surprised to see people gathering here to rescue my family especially the military. I felt so helpless.'

Precious' husband Prince Enyioko, originally from Nigeria, said he felt 'helpless' after returning home from work to find his family trapped by the blaze

MSgt Daniel Raimondo told CNN that the and his fellow airmen had been passing by the area when they noticed the thick black smoke. After one of him comrades ran to get a blanket to catch the family on, he pleaded with the terrified woman to let go of her children.

'Please throw your baby, please throw your baby,' he told her. 'She did just that.'

The fire had ripped through the building, trapping the family on the fourth floor with no means of escape

Raimondo said he'd struggled to persuade her to let go of her last child. 'She just wouldn't let them go,' he told CNN. 'I remember looking at her though all the turmoil and commotion. I just begged and pleaded with her, 'Please throw the baby down.'

'And I remember her screaming at the baby 'I love you, I love you, I love you. The next thing you know, she's dropped the baby. And of course at the end, the mother had to come down.

'You could barely even see her at that point. The smoke and fire was horrendous. I was just shouting, 'You have to jump, you have to jump.'

Click for photos

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/05/incredible-escape-moment-nigerian-mom.html
Celebrities / See What Dele Momodu Posted About Tiwa Savage And Teebillz's Marriage (photo) by 240naija(m): 9:04am On May 04, 2016
Writer, journalist and publisher of Ovation Magazine, Dele Momodu has taken to Instagram to write yet another interesting piece about Tiwa and Teebillz's Brouhaha.

Teebillz and wife, Tiwa Savage

Ovation International publisher, Dele Momodu has taken to Instagram to share a touching message on behalf of Teebillz and wife, Tiwa Savage over the ongoing marital issues rocking the family.

The publisher and writer wrote: "I pray God heals the deep wounds sustained by Tiwa Savage and the love of her life Tunji Balogun during this difficult moment... Nothing is impossible if they are both willing and ready to forgive each other... We should put them in our prayers.."

It would be recalled that the marriage of the singer to Teebillz hit the rocks recently after Tiwa's husband went on a ranting-spree to reveal unbelievable details of how his wife has been starving him and cheating on him with Don Jazzy, 2Face and Dr Sid.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/05/see-what-dele-momodu-posted-about-tiwa.html
Romance / Debate Over Chinese City's Women-only Bus by 240naija(m): 8:32pm On Apr 30, 2016
The introduction of a women-only bus in one Chinese city has riled some local men and sparked an online debate.

The new summer service will run during morning and evening rush hours in the eastern city of Zhengzhou, in an effort to cut the number of groping incidents, Dahe Daily reports. The local bus company says it'll protect women from being harassed when wearing lighter clothing, and also help breastfeeding mothers feel more comfortable.

Female-only train and metro carriages have been introduced in many countries with varying degrees of success, but single-sex transport is a relatively new concept in China.
Women interviewed on board the bus said they were pleased with the service, with one telling a reporter: "Of course this is a good idea, it is very respectful to women."

But some local men are less impressed. One tells Dahe Daily that harassment isn't common on public transport: "The bus company has made a fuss over it - this measure will cause men to feel humiliated." Another man complains to China National Radio: "I had to wait a really long time for another bus to arrive because I wasn't allowed on."

A video that has gone viral shows an elderly man remonstrating with the driver after being denied boarding. "You're discriminating against me! This is a public bus!" he shouts. Others appear unfazed, and wander off in search of another service.

It's become a hot topic of debate on microblogging site Weibo, with lots of women welcoming the idea, although one notes: "Not all men are bad, but aren't all men being discriminated against here?" There's support from male users too, although some think it promotes a general distrust of men. Many also feel an exception should have been made for the elderly man in the video.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/debate-over-chinese-citys-women-only-bus.html
Celebrities / Drama As Nigerian Rapper, Ill-bliss Is Mistakenly Implicated In Tiwa Savage's Ma by 240naija(m): 2:28pm On Apr 30, 2016
Its not a good time for one of the most widely read newspapers in Nigeria, Punch over a couple of costly mistakes that could attract legal actions in the last 24 hours. Nigerian celebrities, Timi Dakolo and Ill Bliss are the victims.
Ill-Bliss

Popular Nigerian rapper, Ill Bliss took to Instagram to inform Punch newspapers that he’s not Tiwa Savage’s husband. My name is Illbliss not Tee Billz, he said on instagram.

A Journalist mistakenly wrote his name in place of that of Tunji Balogun who is Tiwa's estranged husband.

The popular 'Igbo boy' swiftly distanced himself from the Tiwa Savage-Teebillz drama which has implicated top musical artistes like 2face, Don Jazzy and Dr Sid over alleged sexual relationships with the married songstress.

His correction notice on Instragram read:

"Dear people of Punch NEWSPapers ..... This must be an error..."

His fans teased him about having a romantic relationship with Tiwa Savage. See how the drama played out on his page:

Singer, Timi Dakolo also shared this Snapshot on Instagram and wrote:

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...I DIDNT GRANT THIS INTERVIEW...SO I WONDER ...HOW SOME WOULD SIT AND WRITE UP THINGS LIKE THIS..."

The implication of this is that the interview must have been concocted which is a grave crime in the face of the law should he decide to seek redress in court.

check photos & screenshots @

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/drama-as-nigerian-rapper-ill-bliss-is.html
Romance / What Will You Do If You Catch Your Spouse In Bed With Your Benefactor? by 240naija(m): 2:14pm On Apr 30, 2016
Have you ever imagined your partner cheating? Then consider what you would do if the person he or she is cheating with is a benefactor, or at least read what other people say they will do...

A benefactor is an individual who supports one in kind or cash. It could, however, be shocking to learn that one’s helper could go to the extent of having an affair with one’s spouse. Does this mean that the benefactor is now reaping from his ‘sowing?’ Based on this, SATURDAY PUNCH sought some Nigerians’ opinions on what they would do if they found their spouses in bed with their benefactors

I’ll fight my benefactor till she leaves my spouse – Seun Ogunfolaji

It is a two-way thing — if my benefactor does not know my husband before, I will let her know that he is mine not hers, while we settle the case amicably. But if otherwise, then that is double trouble. I will fight her and make sure she leaves my husband instantly, not minding what she has done for me. I will be so dramatic with her and she won’t like or wait to see what will happen to her. As for my husband, we will settle the case and I will let him know that he has cheated on me and I will show my anger.

I will employ God’s wisdom – Wale Ayodele

I will employ God’s wisdom to identify what went wrong in the first place and how they got to meet each other. But I have nothing to do with that benefactor because that has already ended the relationship between us, not minding what he has done for me. I will be so disappointed in him. My wife is not worth sharing with anybody. I would rather sit my wife down and let her understand why it is not good for her to do that, but if she persists, that will lead to the end of our marriage.

I’ll keep my mind at rest – Fausat Adeosun

Well, experience has taught me so many things because this could lead to a break-up or loss of life. I will accept it as my own cross. In fact, it has happened to me before. My husband brought a woman to our matrimonial home. I didn’t do anything; I just kept quiet; but today my husband sees me as a god. A good woman like me will keep her mind at rest instead of giving myself hypertension because of a man. Any man that does that will surely stop such acts one day and remember home just like my husband did.

Women can’t be trusted at all – Cristian Anyanagu

I would show my annoyance seeing that because it will be so painful. But if my wife is remorseful, I could choose to forgive her while our marriage goes on. But if not, I would divorce her and marry another wife. The Bible has made me understand that only on the basis of adultery should I divorce my wife and marry another one. But first, I would forgive both of them.

My benefactor will take care of me too – Kafayat Jimoh

She will take care of both of us. I can’t fight, but the only thing is that she can marry my husband and take care of me too. That is the only remedy. She is allowed to marry my husband so far they love each other. There is no point killing myself because men will always be men. In fact, I will not fight my husband but he must always be responsible to me and my children.

I will get another wife – Olaoluwa Wale

What an insult! I will instantly forget all he has done for me and my family. I will be so crossed with the man and as for my wife, she has to follow the man because I don’t know what she would have seen in him other than fame or money. My wife would leave my children and follow the man. I will not allow her to take a pin out of my house. I will send her packing and get another wife. She has got nothing to do with me again.

I can’t kill myself – Funke Olaleye

Men could be so reckless and they can go to any length to get what they want. I will only be more prayerful to God to fight on my behalf. I can’t kill myself because of a man. If I die today, he is ready to have another wife immediately. It is not by my power, but God’s grace to just let it go, I will be surprised at both of them, but then, there is nothing I would do but forgive and let peace reign. If I divorce my husband now, do I know what another one I meet will do?

That’ll be the end of our marriage – Onyedikachi Sunday

It means I don’t have any business with her again; she just has to go by fire and by force. All I will do is to get a witness to what has happened by involving her family and mine before I send her away so that I will not be called a wicked man. That will be the end of our marriage; it means she has no regard for me. It is so embarrassing. She must go. It has shown that my wife does not need me again. She will go back to her father’s house.

I’ll leave it to God to fight – Bola Adeniyi

I will be very surprised at first and ask myself, ‘what kind of thing is this?’ I will just feel like hitting both of them with something, but what happens afterwards? I will leave the fight to God because that is the best thing to do in the circumstance. Will I now kill myself because of that? I would rather live my life. I will not even behave as if I saw them because there is nothing new under the earth.

I may divorce her – Akinlotan Sunkanmi

I will not do anything at first; I would just walk away, while I decide on the kind of mental torture I will use against her to kick her out of my life. For any reason, I will not raise my hands against her because I don’t want to kill anyone. At times when one overreacts, it could lead to jail. I am sure the heavens will be angry with me if I continue to be her husband after the act. I might not necessarily divorce her; it depends on her reactions.

Drop Comments.
http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/what-will-you-do-if-you-catch-your_30.html
Politics / Herdsmen: We’ll Be Forced To Resort To Self-help, Group Warns by 240naija(m): 11:47am On Apr 30, 2016
An Igbo socio-cultural group, Izumunna Cultural Association, has said that the people of South-East may be forced to defend themselves against incessant attacks by Fulani herdsmen should the Federal Government fail to prevent recurrence.

The group said that the rampant Fulani herdsmen attacks and killings in the South-East were not accidental, but part of the grand design to acquire lands in the region.

The group said in a statement signed on Friday in Jos by its President, Dr. Ugo Ihekuna and Secretary, Chief Elvis Chukwu, that it was worried by the apparent poor response of security agencies to the atrocities and the near silence exhibited by the Federal Government.

The association, however, asked the people of the South-East to stop the habit of using Hausa/Fulani as guards in their homes, saying “it has been established that these guards often guide the mercenaries when they want to strike.”

In the statement entitled, “Herdsmen invasion of South-East: Call for Action,” the group said it was dismayed by the “level of brigandage and carnage being unleashed on the people of South-East by Fulani herdsmen.”

It asked the Federal Government to prevent a situation where Ndigbo would resort to self help in order to protect themselves.

The group said, “These actions, coming at a time the National Assembly has begun deliberations on the National Grazing Reserves Commission, is apparently one of the grand designs to alienate and appropriate lands in the South-East.

“The strategy is to use Fulani herdsmen to coerce local farmers to relinquish part of their farmland for grazing of their livestock as panacea for peace.

“The scenario, as being played out in the legislature, is to use the instrument of constitutional amendment to carve out large parts of land in the Middle Belt and Southern Nigeria and hand them over to Fulani herdsmen.

“With time, the Fulani will demand the establishment of their chiefdom as they are doing in Kachia in Kaduna State where grazing reserve was carved out for them by the government of Northern Nigeria in the early 1960s.”

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/herdsmen-well-be-forced-to-resort-to.html
Nairaland / General / Omg? See How A Thief Got Electrocuted On An Electric Pole While Stealing Cables by 240naija(m): 6:25pm On Apr 29, 2016
A man who has climbed up an electric pole to make away with some cables, has met his tragic end in the process.

The man pictured above met his unfortunate end when he devised an evil plan to steal electric cables from the electric pole.

Unfortunately, he was electrocuted to death in the process.

According to residents, the man came at night to carry out his plan when people had already gone to bed.

Some claim to have heard a loud sound and when the incident occurred.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/omg-see-how-thief-got-electrocuted-on.html

Nairaland / General / Petrol Tanker Goes Up In Flames At Osun Filling Station (photos) by 240naija(m): 2:20pm On Apr 29, 2016
A tanker loaded with Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, this morning in Iree, Osun State went up in flames as the petroleum product in it was been transferred into an underground tank at a filling station near Poly Junction, in the state.

No life was lost as people around quickly took to their heels. However, no fewer than 10 shops around the station were razed by fire. More photos below.

Graphics photos @

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/petrol-tanker-goes-up-in-flames-at-osun.html
Celebrities / Re: Tiwa Savage Complains About Boring Sex Life After Baby by 240naija(m): 3:03pm On Apr 28, 2016
Sports / Cristiano Ronaldo To Undergo Stem-cell Therapy In Order To Boost His Fitness For by 240naija(m): 2:32pm On Apr 28, 2016
Real Madrid's star man Cristiano Ronaldo will undergo stem- cell therapy in order to rush up his fitness and make him fit for the second leg champions league tie against Man City according to reports. Stem cell therapy or treatment is a medical treatment process whereby doctors collect a sample of healthy cells from the player’s blood or bone marrow, which is then injected into the problem area to help speed up recovery.

Ronaldo didn't play in the first leg of the champions league after failing a late fitness test due to torn hamstrings and has already been ruled out of this Saturday's trip to Real Sociedad and coach Zinedine Zidane is not expected to know whether he will have the 31-year-old back until the day of the City game.

Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 47 goals this season.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/cristiano-ronaldo-to-undergo-stem-cell.html
Celebrities / How Teebillz Nearly Killed Himself This Morning - He Tried To Jump Off The Lekki by 240naija(m): 1:53pm On Apr 28, 2016
When Teebillz shared his suicide note today on IG while pouring his heart out about the demise of his marriage to Tiwa Savage, many of us thought/hoped he was just talking, but he wasn't. Tunji 'Teebillz' Balogun tried to commit suicide this morning by jumping off the Lekki- Ikoyi toll bridge and this is fact!

According to an eye-witness named Chukwuma Ani, who witnessed the incident and was one of the four men who pulled Teebillz off the bridge, he told LIB exclusively that around past 9 this morning while driving on the Lekki-Ikoyi toll bridge, a car hit his own from behind, damaging his car. He said he came out of the car and approached the driver of the vehicle that hit his. He didn't know who the man was (it was Teebillz) but he said he berated him for hitting his car and asked the man to come out and assess the damage caused to his car. The man looked at him and told him to leave...that he was there for a reason. That he was planning to commit suicide and Chukwuma Ani would hear about it later...

Not knowing who the guy was or understanding why he was talking suicide, Mr Ani said he kept insisting that the driver must come down from his car and see the damage he had caused to his car. He said he noticed alcohol on the floor of the driver's car so thought the man was drunk. He said while shouting and berating the driver for hitting his car, the guy just suddenly drove his car with speed to the front.

Ani said he got into his own car and gave chase and was surprised to see the driver of the car parking his car in the middle of the bridge as other cars drove past. He said he parked in front of the driver and approached the man again, telling him that he couldn't even apologize for hitting his car and was instead trying to drive off. He said as he was berating the man, he (Teebillz) got down from his car and walked to the bridge railing.

He said he stood there wondering what the driver was trying to do and it was at that point that two other cars approached them. He said as he was trying to figure out who the new comers were, Teebillz had moved to the bridge railing and was trying to jump. He said a light skinned guy came out from the first car and began running towards Teebillz screaming and that was when he realized what was going on..

"I thought I was watching a movie" Ani told LIB "the man held the railing and tried to jump over it and that was when the yellow man held him and started shouting for help. The two of them nearly fell into the water. I quickly joined the yellow man to pull the guy out and while we were struggling with him one PSquare twin (Peter Okoye) and Banky W joined us to pull the man out " Ani said

LIB called Peter Okoye to confirm he was there but he refused to say anything "Even if I was there, I can't say anything about it" he said.

We hear Teebillz is doing okay now and is surrounded by family and friends. People need to take depression seriously in Nigeria - a lot of people are so depressed and struggling and don't usually have anywhere to turn to for help. Hope he gets better.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/how-teebillz-nearly-killed-himself-this.html
Politics / Saraki’s SSA On Youth, Student Matters Reportedly Arrested By DSS by 240naija(m): 10:53am On Apr 27, 2016
The Department of State Security DSS has arrested the Special Assistant to the Senate President on Youth and Student Matters and President of National Youth Council of Nigeria, NYCN, Barrister Ikenga Imo Ugochinyere, according to a report by Vanguard.

The brother of Ugochinyere, Obinna Ikeagwuonu, released a statement, informing the public of his arrest. The statement in part reads;

“Information at our disposal has it that Ikenga informed his family of his invitation to the office of the DSS, yesterday by 10:00hrs on the call of the Assistant Director Internal Security. He has not been seen nor heard from since the time he entered the premises of the DSS. Every attempt by his family, lawyers and personal physician to have access to him have been resisted by the security outfit. Ikenga is the President of the National Youth Council of Nigeria and also Senior Special Assistant to the Senate President on Youth and Students Matters and the family has been withstanding immense pressure while assuring and reassuring Nigerian youths who are calling from all over the country enquiring about the welfare of their President.

We have limits to our strength to withstand this pressure if Nigeria youths want to approach the State and demand for the whereabouts of their President". According to Ikeagwuonu, information reaching his family says that Ugochinyere was invited over a petition by the the Minister of Youths and Sports Development Barr. Solomon Dalung who was indefinitely suspended from the Board of the National Youth Council of Nigeria, a body over which Ugochinyere is President. "“If truly this is one of the questions for which he is illegally detained without access to food, water, legal and medical assistance, then that is impunity at the highest level and we condemn it. Ikenga we are informed has not been shown any petition so far. Ikenga is a law abiding citizen who has approached the Courts in defence of his mandate that Solomon Dalung has severally boasted he will snatch from Ikenga.

His lawyers have initiated contempt proceedings against Mr. Dalung and instead of the Minister to go to Court; he is using his office and institutions of State to attempt to intimidate Ikenga. He (Ikenga) was alleged to be working with people who the state is not happy with. If these people who the state is not happy with refer to the Senate President Dr. Bukola Saraki, then Ikenga has this message for his captors that he is proud of his relationship and association with Dr. Saraki and is bold to stand by him. Ikenga will not deny Saraki because of oppression of the state. We make this statement to inform the world that Ikenga is in the custody of the Department of State Services, detained illegally and against his will and for the world to know who to hold responsible should anything happen to Ikenga.”

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/sarakis-ssa-on-youth-student-matters_27.html
Politics / Currency Swap, Alleged $2b Loan Deal & More - Presidency Breaks Silence On Buhar by 240naija(m): 4:28pm On Apr 26, 2016
It was widely reported that President Buhari during his trip to China, allegedly applied for a $2billion loan deal with the Chinese government, and the news met mixed reactions and criticisms. The presidency has now broken its silence on the issue.
President Buhari and Femi Adesina

Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, was on Radio Continental recently and spoke on sundry topics.

Here are excerpts from the interview:

Let us talk about the China trip. What took you over there and what happened there?
As you know, China has a surfeit of infrastructure, while Nigeria has infrastructure deficit. What took us out there was how we could benefit from this surfeit that China has in terms of infrastructure, particularly rail, housing, agric, solid minerals, all the sectors in which Nigeria needs improvement. How can China be of benefit to us was what took the President and his delegation out there. And I must say that it was a splendid visit, a visit that inspired every member of the delegation. And you know when you get inspired, you then begin to aspire. We saw so many wonderful things in China and we began to ask ourselves; when will our country get there? But then we aspire to also get there. God is great, I know we will get there.

When do we actually hope to see the specific materialisation of all these MOUs that we had signed in China?
Well, it is said that the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. We have taken that first step, like that man who went to the moon and said one single step but a giant leap for humanity. We have taken that single step that may become a giant leap for Nigeria, but a lot will depend on us. What happened the last time was that the former government went to China and signed exactly the same agreements that we have just signed. Thereafter, they went to bed, nothing was done because most of the agreements have what you call counterpart funding. That was the time Nigeria was awash with money. Oil was selling for 100 dollars up to 140 dollars per barrel. We could have met our parts of the agreements easily, but we didn’t pay. Now, oil sells for 30-40 dollars, and we have signed the agreements again. The difference is that a government with integrity will keep whatever agreement it has signed. And we know this is a government of integrity, the counterpart funding will be paid and when that is done, China will move in. Without Nigeria fulfilling its own part of the bargain, China may not come. But a lot depends on us and I believe that this government has all that it takes to keep its promises.

Did you actually borrow money from China?
Borrowing money was never on the table. I will tell you the story. One news agency ran a false story that we went to ask for 2 billion dollars loan in China. The story was concocted in the imagination of the reporter. And I called that reporter and asked him where he got the story, and he apologized to me. You filed a false story, which you know is unprofessional and unethical. The next thing is to retract that story. He didn’t. We issued our statement that we were going to China, and this is what we were going to do. You will not find loan anywhere in our statement. We stated what we were going to do and that was exactly what we did. But unfortunately, Nigerians at times just hear the first word and believe it. In fact, a Governor based his own tomfoolery on the fact that it had been published that a 2 billion dollars loan was going to be taken. Loan was never on the table and no loan was taken. What happened was there were investment deals. And in investment deals, you know it is not everything that is going to be a grant or a dash. You have a part to play. That is what happened in China.

In which aspects of the economy will these deals happen?
Various aspects, One, power. There is a deal to generate 200 megawatts of electricity at Shiroro that is going to be solar driven. That is for power and then you have in transport. There is going be a road, -Lagos-Ibadan-Abuja, different from the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, that is going to be built for 1 billion dollars. And then you have an export free trade zone in Ogun State worth one billion dollars also. You have an agric project in Kogi, and you have a housing project in which 27 storey buildings will be built in different parts of the country.

On the currency swap, people will love to understand what that is exactly about?
I have some ideas about the currency swap, but I don’t fully understand it, as I am not an economist. I have spoken with the CBN people in trying to understand it, but it is work in progress. When I spoke with the CBN, what I was told was that when it is fully done, there will now be an education process for Nigerians. But the little I can say about it is that Yuan will now be a currency of trade between Nigeria and China. They are going to advance us some billions of Yuan, which we will put in our external reserves. It is not going to show in our balance sheet as a country. It will be used to finance trade between Nigeria and China. There will be less pressure on the naira and less pressure on the dollar. That is my layman understanding of it.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/currency-swap-alleged-2b-loan-deal-more.html
Health / How Lack Of Fuel And Medicine Killed 6 Ekiti State Doctors - Survivor Recounts by 240naija(m): 12:31pm On Apr 26, 2016
A medical doctor who survived the auto crash that killed 6 Ekiti state doctors along the Kaduna Expressway on Sunday April 24th, has narrated how lack of fuel and medicine resulted in the death of the doctors.
The survivor, Dr. Stephen Ayosanmi

We reported it here yesterday Ekiti State Governor, Governor Ayodele Fayose, declared a 3 days of mourning in the state after six medical doctors and one driver in the state all died in a car accident involving a 13-passenger bus a few kilometres to Kaduna on their way to Sokoto to attend a Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) event on Sunday, 24th April.

A survivor from Sunday’s accident has exclusively disclosed to Vanguard on his sick bed in Kaduna how the accident occurred. He said the doctors would not have died had basic medical care been administered on them after the accident, adding that the incident occurred around where the late Minister of state for Labour and Productivity, James Ocholi and his family perished in an accident on March 6, 2006.

At least four of the medical doctors, who survived the accident, were at present receiving medical attention at the St. Gerard Catholic Medical Hospital, Kakuri. One of the survivors, Dr. Stephen Ayosanmi of EKSUTH, spoke on his hospital bed on the accident.

On how it happened, Ayosanmi said: "I am one of the delegates for the National NMA Conference taking place in Sokoto. On our way, we decided to follow through Kaduna and stop so that we would continue our journey to the conference the following day. We were about 60km to Kaduna when the accident happened. We were in a bus that seats between 15 and 16 person. But we were 13 in the bus, including the driver. Aside the driver, we were all doctors. This was on Sunday, April 24. As we were approaching Kaduna, suddenly a tire burst. The bus somersaulted. This was around 4:45pm.

The scene of the car crash

"When the accident happened, some of us came out and people came and tried to help in the rescue effort. I came and I found out that I did not have any fracture or serious injury. By the time the members of the Road Safety Corps came, some doctors that were severely injured had died. Five of them! But, we have two who could still survive. So we rushed them to the nearby hospital (Doka General Hospital, about 70 km to Kaduna).

"At the hospital, I was surprised when they said that there was no doctor there. I was even telling the nurses, ‘ok give me a pain reliever and let me put you through on how to resuscitate that man that was lying near me. But none of them attended to us. They were just running around, saying there was no this, no that. They were running around looking for this and that. Then I pleaded with the Road Safety to take us to the nearest hospital away from the one we were. I said they should take us to Suleja, Kaduna, wherever, but the Road Safety said that they didn’t even have fuel.

"I told them that it was ok, that I would pay for fuel. So we left the place in search for fuel and bought the fuel on the road. But, before we got to the hospital (St. Gerard, Kaduna) the other person had died. That made the number of deaths six. The other very injured person, who was in the other bus also died, making the casualty seven," he said.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/how-lack-of-fuel-and-medicine-killed-6.html
Sports / Unbelievable! Meet The Incredible Football Player Who Is Completely Blind (photo by 240naija(m): 5:40pm On Apr 25, 2016
It may sound like a tale forged from the imaginations, but this really is an incredible story of a man who will not take no for an answer.

Jake Olson

After years of cheering for his favourite college football team, University of Southern California student Jake Olson has achieved the impossible dream – despite being completely blind, he is now a part of the team, playing as long snapper for the USC Trojans, approaching the game based on feel rather than sight.

Born with retinoblastoma, a rare cancer of the retina, Jake lost his left eye when he was only eight months old.

“When the doctors found my cancer, it was completely taking over my left eye,” he said. “The greatest fear is the cancer spreading through the optic nerve to the brain.”

So the eye had to be removed entirely, followed by several rounds of chemotherapy and laser treatment to prevent the cancer from spreading to the right eye. Sadly, it kept coming back. At age 12, Jake received news that he would have to lose his right eye as well.

“Realizing what I was going to be confronting… a life without sight, it was difficult. I didn’t feel completely hopeless, but there was this sense of ‘I don’t know how I’m gonna do anything anymore.’”

Jake on the field

Being a lifelong Trojan fan, one of Jake’s last wishes before he lost his eye was to watch them play at Notre Dame and also to witness a practice session the night before the surgery.

“There were nights of crying and stressful times when I couldn’t get the thought of going blind out of my psyche,” he said, speaking to the LA Times. “But every time I was up at USC or talking to one of the players or just being around, it was just pure fun. And truthfully, peace.”

Jake’s passion for the sport did not go unnoticed – former USC coach Pete Carroll reached out to the boy, inviting him to personally meet the players and spend more time with them.

“Little did I know, he had all these plans,” Jake recalled. “Introducing me to the team, having me sit on meetings, going to practice and eating dinner afterwards. And then after that, it just escalated into being a part of the team [as an honorary member]. Everything about it was just amazing and something that I will always be grateful for.”

Inspired by his interactions with the Trojans, when Jake got to high school he started to think of ways he could be involved with his own school’s football team. At first he didn’t think he could be of any real use, but then he heard of long snapping and it all started to fit.

“It kind of clicked in my mind that it is a consistent position in that you’re snapping the same distance for every snap,” he explained. “You definitely have the mechanics of what you’re supposed to do, but a lot of it is just feel.”

So Jake approached coach Chuck Peterson towards the end of the 2012 season, asking to join the team. The coach asked him to come back at the start of the next season, and Jake spent the extra time practicing hard.

“They really did not take me too seriously, especially at first because I did not know how to long snap,” he said. “One coach, however, really did take me seriously, and he practiced with me every day that summer. When I came back in August and showed the team and coaches what I could do that’s when they realised, ‘OK, this kid is for real… this kid could actually be a valuable asset to us.’”

Eventually, he did become the starter on the team with his teammates guiding him on to the field and helping him line up the ball.

Having made his high school football team, it suddenly didn’t seem too impossible to do the same in college. And current USC coach Steve Sarkisian agreed, hinting to the LA Times in April 2015 that Jake indeed could make the cut. And in September, Jake finally tweeted that his lifelong dream was coming true.

“Tomorrow I walk out onto Howard Jones field not as a fanboy or a honorary member, but as a player for the USC Trojans!” he wrote.

“It’s a surreal feeling,” he added, speaking to the USC website. “I’m excited to help this team in any way I can and be a great teammate. I love this team and I always have, and now it feels great to be a part of it.”

“Jake is just a part of the team like other freshmen,” Sarkisian added. “He doesn’t really want to be treated any differently, and that’s what I appreciate about Jake. He comes to every meeting. He’s there. He’s attentive. He’s on time or early. He came out to practice. He had on the proper attire, and he practiced. Our guys have, I think, enjoyed having Jake around because I think it puts things into perspective for them.”

Jake is also a motivational speaker now

Carroll, naturally, was overjoyed at the news of Jake joining the team.

“Jake is a remarkable kid and for him to have a chance to play for USC someday, I can’t even tell you how cool that is,” he said. “When he was a little kid he came to us and he knew that he was losing his sight and he just wanted to be around the Trojans so that he could have the visual for the rest of his life. If you could imagine that, he had the kind of foresight all the way back when he was a little kid.”

Apart from football, Jake has also played varsity golf in high school and is a motivational speaker. He is the co-author of the book Open Your Eyes: 10 Uncommon Lessons to Discover a Happy Life.

“I went into football with the mentality that I had nothing to lose,” he said. “Either I’m gonna learn how to play this position and participate, or I’m not gonna learn how to play and be back at square one just watching. I really had no fear.”

“Going through adversity or challenges in life, it really does make you stronger,” he added. “Life’s unfair, football’s unfair, things are unfair. But at the same time, it’s up to you how far you want to take yourself… It’s taught me not to give up. It’s taught me to keep fighting.”

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/unbelievable-meet-incredible-football.html
Sports / Kompany Gives Refreshing Response To Tricky Ronaldo Question by 240naija(m): 5:16pm On Apr 25, 2016
The Manchester City defender knows how tough
it will be to face top-level players... and knows
exactly how to answer questions on the subject
In an era of media-training, it is nice to see top-
level footballers express their opinions with a bit
of humour... even if the content is still typically
sensible.
Like the rest of the world, Vincent Kompany
knows just how important it will be to stop
Cristiano Ronaldo when Manchester City host
Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-final
on Tuesday.
Ahead of such occasions it is normal for players
to be asked about the virtues of the opposition's
star player, which is an invitation to offer up
some praise before insisting it is just as
important to focus on all of his team-mates.
Ronaldo, of course, is one of the best players in
the world, meaning the press conference script
is the same as ever.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/kompany-gives-refreshing-response-to.html
Sports / I Will Be King Of Nigeria If I Win The FA Cup' - Watford Striker Odion Ighalo by 240naija(m): 8:39pm On Apr 23, 2016
Super Eagles of Nigeria and Watford FC of England striker Odion Ighalo has bragged that he will be dubbed 'king of Nigeria' if he wins the F.A Cup.
Watford alongside Everton, Man U, and Crystal Palace are in the semi- finals of the English F.A Cup with Watford's game to be played on Sunday, and Ighalo says winning the F.A cup will be an illustrious end to the season after rejecting a £10m move to China last year.

''I chose my dream first before money,”
“Though I am not rich, I am blessed,” Ighalo, a devout Christian, says. “I know in the future I can make more money if I do well so I keep cool. I want to prove myself.'' Ighalo told The Telegraph UK.
“I believe in God and I prayed when I faced that situation. I am happy that I turned it down and it’s really helped me grow as a person. Yes, it was big money. A lot of money. But I want to keep going in my career. This is a dream come true so to leave the Premier League and go to China was not the right thing.
“And I know I can earn good money here if I prove myself. Maybe other offers will come, maybe with even more money but I have four more years of contract here after this season and I am happy. I’m improving. When I joined Watford I thought they had what it takes to get promoted to the Premier League. That’s why I joined. I wanted that opportunity.”
“If I win the FA Cup then I will be going back like a king! King of Nigeria!,”
“The fans want it and we want it.
“This is a big competition here in England. Now we are safe in the Premier League and although we want to do better this semi-final is a very big thing. It’s a chance for people to have a look at us and understand how we have done.
“Not every team in the Premier League can win it but they can win the FA Cup. No-one gave Watford a chance of being where we are today but we are there now and it’s possible for us to win and go to the final.”
He added: “As a footballer it is all the more special because it is played at Wembley, a great stadium, the great stadium of English football and one that I have not played in before. So that means a lot.
“The fans are happy also because they can say they will have a team in the Premier League next season and they have this semi-final.
“If we play the way we can play we will be able to give them a final to look forward to as well. It would be a dream come true.”
“I watched the finals – I remember big teams like Manchester United and Chelsea playing at Wembley so it means a lot to me to have the chance to get to a final,” Ighalo says. “And I’ve never played in a cup final before, not at any level, not even as a boy, never.”

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/i-will-be-king-of-nigeria-if-i-win-fa.html
Politics / Spend Your Resources Wisely, Buhari Tells Universities by 240naija(m): 8:32pm On Apr 23, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari has urged university administrators to ensure prudent management of scarce resource at their disposal.
The president made the call in Kano on Saturday at the 32nd Convocation Ceremony of Bayero University Kano (BUK).
Buhari, who was represented by Hajiya Halima Umar, Director of Tertiary Education, Federal Ministry of Education, also admonished university managements to be transparent.
“Universities need to have managers that are prudent and transparent in the deployment of resources for infrastructural and educational development of citizens.
“We will continue to have zero tolerance for corruption,” Buhari said.
He said the Federal Government would continue to give universities the necessary support to enable them discharge their duties effectively.
The president called on universities to explore other avenues of raising funds to complement the efforts of Federal Government.
The president also urged the private sector and non-governmental organisations to increase their collaboration with the Federal Government for the realisation of set targets for the development of education sector.
Earlier in his speech, the Vice Chancellor, BUK, Prof Yahuza Bello, had lamented that persistent erratic power supply and scarcity of were the major challenges of the institution.”

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/spend-your-resources-wisely-buhari.html
Celebrities / Photos: Akon Visits Nigeria's Minister Of Environment, Amina Mohammed In NY by 240naija(m): 7:40pm On Apr 22, 2016
Singer Akon visited Nigeria's Minister of Environment, Amina Mohammed in New York today April 22nd. They discussed the Great Green wall project, a pan-African proposal to “green” the continent from west to east in order to battle desertification. More photos after the cut...

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/photos-akon-visits-nigerias-minister-of.html

Politics / Photo: Osun State Permanent Secretary, Others Abducted by 240naija(m): 7:31pm On Apr 22, 2016
The Permanent Secretary of the Osun State Ministry of Finance, Budget and Economic Planning, Adebimpe Ogunlumade was kidnapped by gunmen‎n while returning to Osogbo from Abuja today April 22nd. According to a statement released by the state's Head of Service, Sunday Olayinka Owoeye, Ogunlumade was kidnapped along with her driver, Oladapo Arogundade Ajani and a Director from the ministry, Tajudeen Badejoko.

They were kidnapped at gunpoint at Obajana along Lokoja-Okene road in Kogi state. The state Auditor General who also traveled with the officials escaped the scene of the kidnap.

"The officials were returning from Abuja where they attended the briefing on the State and Local Government Reforms Project; a World Bank and European Union Programme,” the head of service statement read in part

The Osun State Police Command Public Relations officer, Folasade Odoro, confirmed the incident and said efforts were being made to rescue those kidnapped.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/photo-osun-state-permanent-secretary.html
Entertainment / Re: Bloggers Drop Your Contacts. For Business Deal by 240naija(m): 6:48am On Apr 22, 2016
Www.levitoday.com

Levitodayblog@gmail.com
Education / Download Your All Schools Post Utme Past Questions by 240naija(m): 8:35am On Apr 21, 2016
This a past question comprising of different subject and from different Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria. Click here on the link below
Remember my last post, a student who reads for his exam is one step forward but a student who read and study with it past questions is to step forward.( 10 Advice For All Jambites - a must read for all Jambites)

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/download-your-all-schools-post-utme.html?m=1
Education / 20 Popular Slangs Used By University Students In Nigeria by 240naija(m): 7:53pm On Apr 20, 2016
Nigerian University students are known for their usage of certain words exclusively understood by them. Listed are some of those words.

A typical gathering of young Nigerians

There are many words in mainstream Nigerian English that started out as university student slang words but are now in general use in Nigeria.

In fact, many people don’t recognize these words and their meanings as nonstandard.

Check out 20 of the most popular slangs used by Nigerian university students:

1. Behind: A refined person

2. Dub: It means to cheat during exams by copying another person’s test answers word for word.

3. Chips: Small papers where as much as can be written to take into the exam halls to cheat.

4. Gist (sometimes misspelled as “jist”): In both formal and informal Nigerian English “gist” now means light informal conversation, especially about other people’s private business.

5. Cassava flakes: This simply refers to Garri.

6. Form: To put on airs, that is, affect manners with intent to impress others.

7. After one: A girl with one child prior to marriage.

8. Popsy: An informal word for father.

9. Mumsy: This is the feminine version of “popsy,” which is an informal word for mother.

10. FFF: Friend for food.

11. Swag: This is a pompous manner of walking intended to impress others.

12. Aristo: Married men that like young girls.

13. Runs: It generally tends to be used to denote illegal or immoral activities.

14. Jambite: This refers to a first-year undergraduate.

15. Bakassi: A girls’s bum.

16. Fashi: Forget.

17. Number six: It means one’s brain.

18. Toast: To talk to a girl.

19. Bone face: To snub somebody.

20. FFO: For food only.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/hilarious-20-popular-slangs-used-by.html

14 Likes 3 Shares

Politics / Hilarious: Cartoon Of Buhari's Response To The Agatu People Of Benue Over Fulani by 240naija(m): 5:27pm On Apr 20, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari has been accused of high insensitivity to the plight of the people of Agatu in Benue State who lost over 300 people to an invasion by Fulani herdmen who claimed to be on a vengeance mission.

This is a trending joke that mocks the attention currently being paid to the Agatu people by Buhari who is currently dealing with several issues in Nigeria ranging from fuel scarcity, Boko Haram, corruption, national budget, power problems etc.

Read the hilarious conversation and share with friends:

Agatu people: "Baba, Fulani herdsmen are destroying our crops, rapping our sisters and. Mothers, killing our people. Please help"

Buhari: "Kai why I Dey call me? Everything I go call me, na me I Dey kill you? Danbanza kowai. Fayose I Dey give me wahala"

"I dey go, me I done finish. I Dey disturb me with falani? I no no say na Boko Haram I be fulani kwo? Allah igo punish me.

Agatu people: .... AMEN baba..

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/hilarious-cartoon-of-buharis-response.html
Health / Warning! Read What Too Much Masturbation Can Do To Your P*nis by 240naija(m): 8:28pm On Apr 19, 2016
Many men do not know that they are putting themselves at great risk each time they begin to pleasure themselves. Guys, read up what over masturbation can do to your p*nis.

Over stimulation of the penis can lead to persistent softness of an erection, while the disappearance of a morning erection can signify a hormonal imbalance. Weak erections can vary, from poor blood circulation to anxiety issues, but for men who over masturbate, the weakness can occur because of a hormonal imbalance.

Hormonal Reserve
Think of sex as a battery. The more you use it, the faster you lose it. An erection occurs because of a healthy dosage of hormones and neurotransmitters. The urge for sex starts with testosterone. But men who ejaculate often lose testosterone faster than their bodies can replenish it. With little testosterone, erections become weaker.

Meanwhile, dopamine must be released to stimulate the penis, while acetylcholine must be present to keep the “excitement” level high. Nitric oxide, a signaling chemical, must also appear in order to provide the proper signaling between the brain and the penis for a healthy erection. Over masturbation depletes all of these neurochemicals.

Lowered dopamine requires more stimulation to stay “hard”, while decreased acetylcholine levels ruin the flow of blood to maintain an erection. Depleted nitric oxide levels lead to a decrease in communication between the brain and penis.

Regaining the Proper Hormones
For hormones to return to their normal state, men must refrain from masturbating as often. The individual who has grown addicted to the activity may have trouble quitting. Still, an individual should aim to quit gradually. Next, taking hormonal supplements can help stabilize testosterone and neurotransmitter production for a healthy erection.

If you suffer from weak erections, take Botanical Solutions for Erectile Dysfunction to help stabilize your production of nitric oxide and to increase the elasticity of blood vessels for improved erection quality.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/warning-read-what-too-much-masturbation.html
Celebrities / How Nigerian Women Can Live Happily - Charly Boy Writes... by 240naija(m): 7:55pm On Apr 19, 2016
While expressing concerns over single mothers struggling to survive, veteran entertainer, Charly Boy has urged ladies to shun irresponsible and care-free men for a joyful marriage.
Charly Boy

Veteran musician and media personality, Charly Boy, on Tuesday, expressed concern over single mothers struggling to survive and urged ladies to shun “irresponsible and care-free men” for a joyful marriage.

Charly Boy took to social media platform and wrote, “They don’t make men like they used to anymore; and women have become something else.

“Long time ago, men used to be very proud being the bread winners, the sole providers in the home but nowadays, many don’t mind being a house husband.

“Women used to be seen, not heard, but now, women are the bread winners in most homes. They have taken over the role of men; they have become the Boss Madam, most of them, by circumstance.

“Why do some women stay in a relationship that is not going anywhere, worse off, in an abusive, psychologically draining, energy sapping relationship?

“Is it by force to stay in a relationship because the world must see you as married, or you are only tolerating your baby daddy so he can have a rethink and marry you?

“Ladies, please cut yourselves some slack, you can’t find that much needed and desired happiness if you’re in a relationship that is so filled with stress and despair, coupled with the child or children’s responsibility you have to think of.

“You cannot afford to be lazy, don’t discriminate on the kind of job you can or cannot do because of an illusionary class.

“As long as the job is not prostitution, drug peddling and trafficking in any of the vices, you must give your best at what work you find to do to earn a living,” the veteran said.

He added that there are stories of single parents whose children are of good character, thereby becoming reference points for good.

“I’m sure you know that children raised by single parents only turn out poorly and terribly because those parents didn’t give their best or their best wasn’t good enough,” he said.

He then urged single parent to find a responsible father figure to model for and mentor their child.

“This does not necessarily have to be your boyfriend, it can be an uncle, a friend, someone that the child can look up to and take correction from when he or she goes off course.

“A mistake I have seen with single parents is that they turn their children to the husband they do not have, they do not discipline them when they go wrong, everything the child does is okay.

“Whether good or not, they don’t put their foot down on what they know is right for the child to do. They live and raise the kids in denial and self-pity.

“This is when single parenting goes all wrong,” he said.

He, however, added that apart from this, nothing stops a single parent’s child from being outstanding and even going ahead to outshine children with good parenting.

“So, the ball is in your court, whether you will choose to see your cup half empty or half full.

“I am strongly against a lady pretending to be under a man when in the real sense, though her man is not physically demised, she’s the only parent in her home,” he said.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/how-nigerian-women-can-live-happily.html
Crime / Police Declare War On Fulani Herdsmen Carrying Arms by 240naija(m): 4:06pm On Apr 16, 2016
Following the frequent clashes between Fulani herdsmen and host communities, the Nigerian police have clamped down on herdsmen bearing arms.

The Police have declared war on Fulani herdsmen perpetrating unending attacks on farmers with unlicensed firearms.

The force said it does not issue gun licences to herdsmen and would henceforth clamp down on any one of them found to be in possession of firearms without Police licence.

This move has become imperative following allegations that Fulani herdsmen use dangerous weapons such as AK47 and other guns whenever they are embroiled in violent clashes with farmers over grazing areas for their cattle.

The Inspector General of Police, Mr. Solomon Arase, told Saturday PUNCH that the police do not issue firearms to unqualified persons and encourage Nigerians to provide information on illegal arms across the country.

Arase, who spoke through the Force Public Relations Officer, Bisi Kolawole, noted that any herdsman found carrying guns would be arrested and prosecuted under the law of the land.

“We have always confisticated illegal and prohibited firearms and prosecute those arrested. Police cannot issue firearms licence to herdsmen; we are encouraging citizens to provide information on illegal arms across the country. Public safety is the absolute priority,” the police boss said via a text message from Kolawole.

The IG said all applications for firearms’ licence must follow the right procedures. “The Police cannot issue out firearms licence to anyone that is not qualified to possess firearms. There are procedures to obtain firearms licence; if you don’t follow the procedure and you don’t meet the requirements, you will not be granted the approval to possess one.”

In similar vein, Police commissioners across the country are also talking tough vowing to arrest Fulani herdsmen with firearms and treat them like common criminals.

The Delta State Police Commissioner, Alkali Baba Usman, said the command had arrested many Fulani herdsmen and interrogated them over allegations of farm destructions and killings.

“We are not afraid of arresting any Fulani herdsmen if found to have committed an offence, but we work within the ambit of the law,” he said. “As regards the arms, they obtain permission to protect their cows. When they are arrested, we treat them as suspects until they are charged to court if necessary.”

The Niger State Police Command said Fulani herdsmen were not allowed by law to bear firearms to look after their cattle and that anyone of them found with arms would be treated like a criminal.

The command’s spokesperson, Bala Elkana, said the command had confiscated over 20 AK47 guns, 70 dane guns, 30 double barrelled guns and over 1,000 live ammunition from Fulani cattle rustlers.

The Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, described the bearing of firearms by Fulani herdsmen as illegal, saying that the police would not hesitate to arrest such persons.

He said, “In Ogun State, they only bear machetes, swords and sticks, also known as “sanda.”

“It is not illegal for them to bear those swords, machetes and sticks, unless they begin to use them to intimidate, harass or threaten the people, then the police can arrest them. No herdsman had approached us for licensing for firearms.”

He, however, admitted that the command had been inundated with cases of rape and cattle rustling, among others.

Over the years, several clashes have been recorded between the host communities and the herdsmen, with the indigenes mostly at the receiving end.

The most recent incidents include the invasion of Abbi community in the Uzo-Uwani area of Enugu by Fulani herdsmen in February.

Traditional rulers and community leaders in the affected communities have called on the Federal Government to address the menace of the herdsmen.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/04/police-declare-war-on-fulani-herdsmen.html
Webmasters / Chilling With My New Logo by 240naija(m): 11:38am On Apr 16, 2016
htttp://www.levitoday.com

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (of 8 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.