Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44145 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 6:27pm On Jun 23, 2009
Seadbari:

@sosoboy why are you talking to the P? U sound too aggressive to have a point! If i may ask, how many places have u been outside lagos? Maybe ur village then where else, I love music n aint tribalistic and none of my post point to that n if u just heard the word "tribalistic" trying using it when appropriate, Gosh u make me sick cos most of u just post from "this one say that one say!" go get ur fact straight, Nigga raw is aight but i'm saying 9ice cut across so much more, ! grin

Nigga raw is a rapper and 9ice is a singer.Compare nigg raw and lord of ajasa in terms of reach.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Seadbari(m): 9:35pm On Jun 23, 2009
@asha80 Nigga raw is tight so don't compare him wit ajasa cos ajaso (IMO) is not a rapper he is more of a kegaite so please just leave the poor dude out of it ooo, I just compared how much some1 is known, not how tight the person is, The fussing of language is just 4 commercial purpose only, so dude don't get me wrong! cool
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 10:44pm On Jun 23, 2009
@seadbari, so according to u ajasa's not a rapper, pls tell me more, d reason why u think so.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by softpalms: 10:28am On Aug 20, 2009
we shuld try support any upcoming artists. music is another the world still respects us on. we shuld try and hold on to it.
I like TJ (Elewe Ukwu : http://www.yaakentertainment.com/
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by okeey(m): 1:27pm On Sep 22, 2009
my guy,coz they dont downgrade eachother and d love is dere
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 2:03pm On Sep 22, 2009
This thread was great,
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by eleshin(m): 7:06pm On Sep 22, 2009
lagos factor is the answer to ur question
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Abagworo(m): 9:37am On Dec 08, 2009
why not view it as a process of intergration going on in southern nigeria.timaya sings in igbo.nigga raw and duncan mighty sing yoruba.naeto c sings yoruba.id cabasa sings in igbo.9ice sings in igbo.2face sings in igbo and yoruba etc etc.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Obelomo: 3:51pm On Dec 09, 2009
I think because many people in Lagos speak and understand Yoruba. In my opinion, people should mix languages just like some gospel musicians that way they can please many people.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 5:30pm On Mar 15, 2010
I declare this thread re-opened.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Koboland(f): 4:50pm On Jul 29, 2011
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by hildaa(f): 10:49am On Nov 02, 2011
language is language, which ever they want to use, it is a free world
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by omoseksi: 1:26pm On Nov 22, 2011
lol, as in i use get really pissed when dis their so called songs, tot it was
peculiar to me till a confirmed igbo boy said same, enjoy

http://viewnaija.com/video/1091365597001/Late-CD-John
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by adabeke12(f): 6:06am On Jul 10, 2012
rapjunkie: I don't see the big deal. I know Yoruba people who use igbo words all the time and igbo guys who use yoruba words. I think if you are trying to go national, and not just appeal to your own tribe then its a smart move to try and make other tribes identify with your songs. That can be done in pidgin but could appeal to people more if you make the effort to commuincate in their own language.

I know that d'banj's stock increased  in Eastern Nigeria when he did the track 'igwe'

However, i think that igbo artist's  who think the only way they can get ahead in Lagos is to sing in yoruba are greatly mistaken. If your track is wack then singin the chorus in yoruba will not save it.

Just keep it real. If you want to sing in yoruba ( or another language) , fine, but also remember to lace some tracks in your own language so you don't alienate your own people.

my 2.5 cents

plz do list the Yoruba artist that use igbo mostly in their music like their igbo counterparts do to Yoruba. plz do not say d'banj, cuz he is the only excuse u guyz have. there is more than a handful of igbos that speak Yoruba but what about the Yorubas?

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by adabeke12(f): 6:10am On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:

I never said it's the job of musicians to save a language, but they can help to a measurable extent since they are a member of the group.

ermmm itz everyone job. meaning the igbos!!!!!! whatever n e career or proffession. every one should be held accountable looooooh.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 9:46am On Jul 10, 2012
adabeke12:

ermmm itz everyone job. meaning the igbos!!!!!! whatever n e career or proffession. every one should be held accountable looooooh.
I'm doing my own part. But our musicians are the ones that are seen and heard by millionaires and their influence can go a long way.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by adabeke12(f): 5:27pm On Jul 10, 2012
WildOne:

Why did D'banj sing in Igbo?

Wtf is dbanj da only excuse y'all have. There r way more Yoruba artist out there.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by adabeke12(f): 5:35pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm doing my own part. But our musicians are the ones that are seen and heard by millionaires and their influence can go a long way.

Ihe ikwuru wu eziokwu. But ima na owu soso ego ka ha churu(musicians). Itz rather unfortunate. Instead of the m to mostly use their language to reach the masses, ha churu ego ugbu gbu gbwa. Odikwegwu oh.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 21, 2012
afam4eva:

How can you say Naeto Chukwu is the only genuine star from the list, what then will you call Ikechuwu,Kelly Handsome, Biglo etc
dude....... So where u u come put FLAVOUR? D dude is a star mhen........ I aint Igbo nd I rap but I I love flavour!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by odizzy: 12:39am On Aug 22, 2012
AfroCynic: Afamz, let me break it down for ya,

what is the name of Kel's current single? 'Waa Wa alright' is that Igbo?

To be honest, 2shotz is the only Lagos bron artist (I think he was) that expresses himself in Igbo and English, which is still a good look.

Rugged Man>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> what is his biggest hit to date? is it not that 'opomulero' joint?

How many songs have Psquare used Yoruba?

African China mixes it up with Yoruba all the time,  it's just standard practice to the guy.

Faze, he also mixes with Yoruba, Igbo and Pidgin.

I loved that D'banj made that song in Igbo, to me that it what it's all about, artists being able to express themselves in any language that can appeal to the masses.

Lagos might be a cosmopolitan city but it is without a doubt that the cultural theme of the state is Yoruba, to deny that would just be silly. I love that Lagos is mixed, it's beautiful but it's still what it is.

Btw, I cannot stand Ill Bliss, I think he suffers from ethnocentrism.
mr or mis down breaker hw abt kelly handsome n flavour dat almost evry yoruba artsite hv featured in dia song, is he nt in lagos makin waves wt d use of igbo in his music? D tin dia is dat yoruba language adds a gud flavour 2 a song in d ears of igbos, likewise igbo flavour in d ears of yorubas. chikina.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by odizzy: 12:47am On Aug 22, 2012
Baro:

more . . . . . .

Kaha
Eddy Remedy
Kelly Hansome
Ikechukwu
Naeto C
Nneka
Biglo
Sky B
Flavour
Mr Cool . . . . .e.t.c . . . . . .

@ Thread,
Lagos is the capital of entertainment in Nigeria, it's easier to penetrate the market using a nice Yoruba chorus ; that is not to say you  cant make a hit using some other language.
guy nawa 4 u o, y u dey disgress us na, wch 1 be sky b n big lo na. Sky b na artiste, wia hm dey na sef, i hia hm get ice fish shope 4 ariaria market in aba
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by truelovecom: 7:37am On Aug 22, 2012
odizzy: guy nawa 4 u o, y u dey disgress us na, wch 1 be sky b n big lo na. Sky b na artiste, wia hm dey na sef, i hia hm get ice fish shope 4 ariaria market in aba
check out this list (ibo musicians);
1. j martins
2.lemar obika(uk based r&b singer and also a grammy award winner)
3.obie trice(us based raper, and also a us-mtv award winner, he did some nice joints with 50cent, eminem, snoop dog, akon, dr dre, and many more)

i will be back with another list
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by adabeke12(f): 2:06pm On Jan 18, 2013
odizzy: mr or mis down breaker hw abt kelly handsome n flavour dat almost evry yoruba artsite hv featured in dia song, is he nt in lagos makin waves wt d use of igbo in his music? D tin dia is dat yoruba language adds a gud flavour 2 a song in d ears of igbos, likewise igbo flavour in d ears of yorubas. chikina.

its not abt being featured ohhhhh. it's about singing in other peoples language abeg.mscheww
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 7:10pm On Jul 12, 2013
Afam4eva:

Get it into skull that English is not our language, it's just an official language, na only us britain colonize?
Were the indians not colonized by the british as well? how many Bollywood have u seen acted in English.

English IS Nigeria's official language. If its no why are ppl here communicating to each other in English and not other Yoruba, Igbo, hausa, etc.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 7:19pm On Jul 12, 2013
@ chiogo. First of all not all names out there in the western regions are considered "English names" Majority of the names in US, UK, etc originated from European countries not English alone. Names like John, Mark, Samuel, Hannah, Sarah, Michael, Paul, Peter, Candace, Naomi, etc etc are considered BIBILICAL NAMES not English names. Those names can be found in almost ever country in the world except the Islamic countries (They have their own Muslim type name just like Christians do). Most of the names out there ppl consider 'English' names are actually EUROPEAN names that originated from diff. parts of Europe. If you research a popular name like Jasmine... that originated from Persia.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 7:29pm On Jul 12, 2013
The big diversity of countries like US & UK are the reason for that. When Europeans migrated to those areas, they brought their culture and origins with them. That's why you'll hear names from diff. origins. Serena & Venus Williams elder sister was named Yetunde. If their parents(whom are Non-Yorubas) can give their child an African first name knowing she'll be living n America...why should pure blooded Africans resist giving their child an African first name. I understand the whole butchering of foreign names cuz I reside abroad, but it shouldn't be a reason why Africans should avoid giving their children native names.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
@ asha 80. If you deny that names can deny you job opportunities then you prob. havnt been to the western part of this world. Race and name strongly determines how hard it'll be for you to get a job. If an oyinbo interviewer saw a name like Chukwuemeka vs. Lauren they'll discriminate and think Chukwuemekqa cant speak good fluent English and they'll accept Lauren in a heartbeat even if the Nigerian man has more experience than her. That's Its best for ppl with foreign names to give them a call on phone to confirm that they can speak good fluent Enlish cuz if you don't they wont accept you. The same for race. "Discrimination" is a big thing in the west
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 7:49pm On Jul 12, 2013
~Sauron~:

I dunno why Igbo people do it.
Me thinks it's their strong relationship with Christianity.
All ma Igbo friends have a native name and an English name they bear and most of em are always bewildered why most Yoruba dudes bear their native names without fear.

No its not becuz of their strong relationship with Christianity... I've met Igbo ppl with names like Terrel, Dawn, Bonita, Sharon, Lilian, etc and those names arnt related to Christianity at all.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 7:52pm On Jul 12, 2013
londoner: As much as Igbo's have English names due to religion, like John or Peter, in reality its no different from a Hausa or Yoruba muslim having a muslim name, the names  are not indegenous to Nigeria either are they? I have plenty of Igbo friends who have Igbo first names, and love those names, anyhoo.

As much as this thread was started to flag up an issue, it turned at times to the usual talking about Igbos as a "problem people". I dont like that, and it happens too much around here at the slightest opportunity.

I'm not trying to start anything, but I have to be honest and its something I've seen time and time again since I first joined the site. I know we all have free speech, but its quite uncomfortable at times, I just wanted to mention it thats all.

I do admit that this may be the wrong time and place to do it though, so I apologise in advance.

@Dereloaded, it was improvement in the picture. I really had never noticed it before. We all know there are steps to be made, but when small steps are made they should be applauded, for at least being steps in the right direction.

Religion has nothing to do with the use of EUROPEAN names, cuz I've met Nigerians with names that have nothing to do with religion. Ive only met a few Igbos with biblical names, but random European names have grown more popular.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 8:22pm On Jul 12, 2013
hunman: igbo got talents thats why they speak different languages. So to me is been considerate and not selfish unlike u. they speak so can get the message. naija movie made by igbos is always english laguage so others can enjoy but, urs is always always yoruba now tell me who selfish

You and sosoboy needa get a clue. The main & true reason a lot of Igbos know how to speak other languages is cuz they have to know to get around (adapt). I'm sure there are Igbos who don't understand Yoruba or other lang. cuz they are only living in the Igbo region. A lot of Yoruba ppl don't know Igbo is bcuz a lot of Yoruba ppl don't live in Igboland. The majority live in the Yoruba areas. I know Nigerians who live (or have lived) in France and can speak fluent French very well). There's also some Ghanians that can speak Yoruba very well after living there for several years. Foreigners who move to UK, US, etc will eventually have to learn to speak English. Its all about "adapting" to the environment you live in. Besides English, Yoruba ppl are still able to communicate with their native tongue. Unlike Igbo ppl who have to learn Yoruba to be able to adjust well around a Yoruba environment. I'm sure Yorubas who are living (or have lived)in Non-Yoruba areas for many years know how to speak the areas main language. Its just like a non-Chinese man living in China. You wont be able to get around China unless you understand the language and can communicate with Chinese ppl cuz most don't speak English.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 8:32pm On Jul 12, 2013
~Sauron~:

Naivete in adults can be charming but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity!!!

Lagos is a semi-Yoruba city because there are Lagos indigenes that are not Yorubas.
London is a semi-English city because it houses 4 million Nigerians??
Is there any major city in the world devoid of non-indigenes??
Are you retarded??
Are you crazy? Lagos is NOT a "semi-Yoruba city" For one Lagos is not even a city. Secondly, Lagos will always be a Yoruba state no matter how diverse it gets. Even if it starts to get more and more ppl from diff. races & ethnicities like NY. NY is a very diverse state, but you don't see ppl calling it a "semi-American" state or "no man's land" like some also call it. Even if Biafra happens tomorrow, Lagos will still be in the Yoruba region. Deal with it cuz its the truth and will always remain like that
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 8:41pm On Jul 12, 2013
To those that wrote here saying English is not Nigeria's main language, then why are you guys writing in English? English is not only Nigeria's main language but it's also a "Universal" language spoken practically everywhere in this world. In every country of this world more than one thousand of it's population speaks English even if English is not their main language, at least a thousand or more will still understand when its spoken. If its not English then they'll speak their native tongue. Why do you think in movies that are not spoken in English, they translate it to English for many to understand? Why do you think almost all the books you can find in this world are written in English. Why do you think the worldwide internet uses the English language? Why do you think when watching a movie or TV show, they speak English or they'll translate the words to English and no other language. Some of ya'll even said you have to write your comment in English for everyone reading this post to understand. Hypocrites.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Album : Umu Obiligbo - Udo Ga Adi (full Album Download) / Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.