Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44107 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Eziachi: 1:29pm On Mar 06, 2009
I think it stems from Igboman's versitality and ability to make the best out of his enviroment and secondly,purely business. In the seventies there was an Igbo guy, I can't remember his name now that had a one hit wonder in Hausa language and the song was called "Sanuku Megida" and it sold in thousands in the north and became an anthem during moslem festivals in the north. Oliver de coque has even a song in Hausa, Onyeka Onwenu has one in Yoruba.

Igbos are not and never slaves to their culture only and that is why during christmas in the 80s, go to many Igbo towns and villages you will likely meet the likes of Shina Peter, Barrister, Sunny Ade and othesr playing one gig after another. You are likely to to hear Juju music in an Igbo party purely because they like the music and nothing else. It highly unlikey to see an Igbo band playing a gig in Yoruba village or an Hausa town. The Oriental brothers nearly lost their lives in Jos in the 70s because they sang praise of Murtala Mohammed and MIDDLE BELT is where the likes of Dimka comes from.

Igbos wear other tribes clothes regularly, eats others food, eager to learn/speaks others language, when you think of it, if all Nigerians has the attitude of an Igbo man, things could have been different and more peaceful.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by obiem(m): 1:30pm On Mar 06, 2009
Not entirely true u know, fine the likes of Ruggedman, DJ Zeez, etc do not identify with their roots probably cos they grew up in Lagos (I am guilty of that too) but i made up for that by schooling in the east, learning the language and having an appreciable mastery of it. Thank God for the likes of Nigga Raw, and the guy that sang N'abania( can't recollect his name) for flying the Igbo flag.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by olatunji24: 1:58pm On Mar 06, 2009
What the hell are u all dragging at? to me languaage does not make a song a hit song, awilo came with his makossa, without hearing his language, didnt u my reader dance to his music? magic system came with their lepa gaou, without hearing any word from it, u, u, u, danced to it and finally the latest one ALHAJI song is making the wave now, many nigerians love it even in parties, people request for these french songs witout understanding the languages, why the hell are u all critisizing ur local languages, to me not your language makes ur song a hit sone, but ur beat to d song, feel me?
call me olatunji 07033848205.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2009
SegzyJoe:

@post
there is no intellectual input in this post, just tribal rantings

an objective analysis would have explained why most if not every musicians will want to have a Youraba mix in their songs, but most of the responses tried to defend one tribal positions or the order. quite unforfunate.

Obviously you did not read the first page of the thread, where one tried to explain to Afam about what it is that necessitates the use of some yoruba in a lot of the songs. I mean, I think dude even forget the question he asked that started this thread off.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Jinnee(m): 3:36pm On Mar 06, 2009
afam4eva: Why is it that most Musicians of Igbo extraction find it difficult to promote their own language by singing in Igbo, instead they Sing with Yoruba.

It really beats me that you would post a thread like this in English!
Last time i checked, u weren't a freaking Englishman,
Next time u wanna go starting sumtin like dis, post in ur mother tongue, DUMMY!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2009
Jinnee:

It really beats me that you would post a thread like this in English!
Last time i checked, u weren't a freaking Englishman,
Next time u wanna go starting sumtin like dis, post in ur mother tongue, DUMMY!

You're not making any sense
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Jinnee(m): 4:29pm On Mar 06, 2009
afam4ever: You're not making any sense

I thought you would make more sense if you had typed in your mother tongue since you criticized an entire tribe for singing in a different dialect. 

I strongly believe all tribes in 9ja has its alphabet, be a good critic, write in yours.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:38pm On Mar 06, 2009
Jinnee:

I thought you would make more sense if you had typed in your mother tongue since you criticized an entire tribe for singing in a different dialect.

I strongly believe all tribes in 9ja has its alphabet, be a good critic, write in yours.

I never generalised, if you read my post u'll see where i wrote "Most Igbo musicians" .
I did'nt type it in igbo cos i wanted to know everybody's opinion(Ibo,yoruba,Hausa etc)
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by romeo(m): 5:59pm On Mar 06, 2009
olatunji24:

What the hell are u all dragging at? to me languaage does not make a song a hit song, awilo came with his makossa, without hearing his language, didnt u my reader dance to his music? magic system came with their lepa gaou, without hearing any word from it, u, u, u, danced to it and finally[b] the latest one ALHAJI song is making the wave now,[/b] many nigerians love it even in parties, people request for these french songs witout understanding the languages, why the hell are u all critisizing ur local languages, to me not your language makes ur song a hit sone, but ur beat to d song, feel me?

So coupe decale fever has caught Naija people? that's good!! Alhaji was a 2006 Ivorian hit
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 6:10pm On Mar 06, 2009
romeo:

So coupe decale fever has caught Naija people? that's good!! Alhaji was a 2006 Ivorian hit

But it reached nigeria in 2008
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 6:29pm On Mar 06, 2009
olatunji24:

What the hell are u all dragging at? to me languaage does not make a song a hit song, awilo came with his makossa, without hearing his language, didnt u my reader dance to his music? magic system came with their lepa gaou, without hearing any word from it, u, u, u, danced to it and finally the latest one ALHAJI song is making the wave now, many nigerians love it even in parties, people request for these french songs witout understanding the languages, why the hell are u all critisizing ur local languages, to me not your language makes ur song a hit sone, but ur beat to d song, feel me?

I think you have misunderstood the question. The thread concerns Nigerian artists, Not Awilo or Magic System, (a band that a I love, if you have not heard it, listen to 'Amoulanga')
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by fayahsoul: 2:20am On Mar 07, 2009
@ Fayasoul, this is exactly the point I was inviting you to demonstrate in my last comment to you. Now if you have to use English to get your message (of  a few sentences) out to just a handful of people here of different ethnicities, why do you criticise (Igbo) musicians for using English to do the same thing, when they have many  fans they want to appeal to?

Have you ever thought that maybe some Yoruba people dont mind that people who are not Yoruba dont understand when they speak? Maybe they are not in fact speaking to everyone.

Firstly, i find it dishonourable to write igbo because the alphabets and framework are westernized. Most negros shamelessly accept western/arabic definitions of whom they are, for instance some say that their name is derick/peter/ahmed and that they are "nigerians", christians/muslims, democrats/republicans, feminists, professionals, capitalists/communists blah blah blah. I, however, reject such definitions and categorizations. I am that i am, i cannot be compartmentalized according to the dictates of these white/arab devils.

Secondly, Though english(and other european langs) are false tongues that should be avoided because people become what they speak, my use of english here is strategic. And it may seem counter-productive but it's not. If my message that's delivered in english is overstood and accepted then the oppressors weapon(false tongue) that once weakened us is transformed to our strenght(native tongue). Remember, energy can neither be created nor destroyed but transformed from one form to another. Likewise, negative energy can be transformed to positive energy if the right formula is used. If we form a movement that is dedicated to the task of pressurizing the AU(or any entity invested with power to implement continental policies) to institute a universal indigenous language(i.e. kiswahili) in alkebulan, such a movement will communicate its agenda to the AU in false tongues out of necessity. So regardless of what these linear minded profit seeking white devils would have u believe, the end does not justify the means rather the means justifies the means.

Thirdly, Many entertainers(musicians, actors etc) in alkebulan communicate with the masses in false tongues for all the wrong reasons; they glamourize false tongues and give it superiority status either out of ignorance or greed. They hardly use their influence to "edutain" the youth on how important the dignity that's inherent in cultural privacy and preservation are to human development or progress.

The Gods and Goddesses in spirit and in flesh are enraged and the mechanisms that will lead to the destruction of this matrix and all those who choose to participate in it have been put in place.

Afuro ka eme, eme ka afu.

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 2:34am On Mar 07, 2009
Lol that Alhaji song is hilarious
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by olatunji24: 1:10pm On Mar 07, 2009
Hey guys, a beg mek una stop dis tribalism about igbos singing in yoruba, even if they do, yorubas shud be happy as dis artites dey push d language 4wad to the world, mek una just stop dis argument a beg, 9ja na one nation and also give kudos to all our artites fo their great jobs, see person likeRUGGEDY featuring 9ICE, mek PASUMA sef go feature TIMAYA, na so e suppos be, so one luv guys, long live 9ja, una do hear
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 1:38pm On Mar 07, 2009
Fayasoul, you are being hyporitical to say the least. You defend your own use of the English language as the only way to express a point to people of different ethncities (all Nigerian). Yet cannot see how a musician does it for the same reasons.

Secondly, you claim you can not write in Igbo because it has been "westernised" according to you, but instead opt for a wholly western language as preference in this instance ie English.

The rest of what you wrote is just an attempt to preach to yourself that your own use of a language you criticise is somehow an justified exception, lol.

I agree that many Nigerian musicians today do not use the medium to say anything of substance, but lets be honest that goes for the majority of the "hit" songs in Yoruba too. Its all about either money, girls, or 419 or basically materialism in general. Singing in a native language doesn't change it.

There are a few love songs which are promoting a good message though.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by ladi4vic: 5:07pm On Mar 07, 2009
Because they were raised and have lived in the west most parts of their lives.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 6:16am On Mar 08, 2009
Sample Ekwe was pretty big

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guRVvM_yQ1k

No Yoruba

well cept for the "jeun soke" part
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by daramsont(m): 11:51am On Mar 08, 2009
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba?
« #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:20 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: tosinaded@ on March 02, 2009, 12:12 AM
And am like how many freakn ibo artistes do we av?

PSquare
Ruggedman
2 Shotz
African China
Kel
OJB Jezreel
Faze
DJ Zeez
Nigga raw
nnenna

and many more

sorry ojb jezreel is not an igbo man oooo,
hes from ijebu-ode for ur infomatiomn
and besides there is nothing for thier own language " igbo" it is not nationaly and internationally recognised"
now we have google yoruba and google hausa, but google igbo is imposible
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 12:42pm On Mar 08, 2009
daramsont:

sorry ojb jezreel is not an igbo man oooo,
hes from ijebu-ode for ur infomatiomn
and besides there is nothing for thier own language " igbo" it is not nationaly and internationally recognised"
now we have google yoruba and google hausa, but google igbo is imposible

You're fool, do u know that Igbo is taught in Yale University? What's the use of google yoruba if the results are not displayed in yoruba.

OJB is Ijebu? Ijebu ko Oshodi ni, He's from Agbor in delta state.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 3:06pm On Mar 08, 2009
afam4eva:

You're fool, do u know that Igbo is taught in Yale University? What's the use of google yoruba if the results are not displayed in yoruba.

OJB is Ijebu? Ijebu ko Oshodi ni, He's from Agbor in delta state.

Lol, Afam you are really silly, I do not agree with what the guy said about Igbo not being universal, it might not be as widely used as Yoruba but the most famous African novel ever written was about Igbo culture and Nollywood is doing its best to propagate the culture.

But Afam you ought to know that Yoruba is is spoken in Africa, Bahia in Brazi, Cuba and a couple of other places. So don't start flexing muscle about where Igbo is taught, I am sure if Igbo is taught at Yale, so is Yoruba, that is just the way it is.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Mar 08, 2009
AfroCynic:

I am sure if Igbo is taught at Yale, so is Yoruba, that is just the way it is.

Sorry to dissapoint you, Igbo is the only african language that is taught in yale.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 08, 2009
afam4eva:

Sorry to dissapoint you, Igbo is the only african language that is taught in yale.

http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/african/languages/
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by doyin13(m): 3:41pm On Mar 08, 2009
afam4eva:

afam. . .that is what you call a lie.

lol

see as Ibkaye just show you up for public place.

Ewu Ibo grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:14pm On Mar 08, 2009
doyin13:

afam. . .that is what you call a lie.

lol

see as Ibkaye just show you up for public place.

Ewu Ibo grin grin grin

I guess i was wrong, but that's not enough reason to abuse me
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:19pm On Mar 08, 2009
But saying IGBO is not a global language is what i don't understand.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Mar 08, 2009
afam4eva:

But saying IGBO is not a global language is what i don't understand.
Is there any other country besides Nigeria where igbo is commonly spoken?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:44pm On Mar 08, 2009
How many speakers of yoruba are there in brazil gan, they are just in their thousands
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 5:01pm On Mar 08, 2009
ibkaye:

Is there any other country besides Nigeria where igbo is commonly spoken?

How do u determine that a language is global, So the fact that a language is spoken in more than one country that makes it Global abi?

I how many countries is ITALIAN spoken, it's not a global language abi?
What about Dutch?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 08, 2009
afam4eva:

How do u determine that a language is global, So the fact that a language is spoken in more than one country that makes it Global abi?

I how many countries is ITALIAN spoken, it's not a global language abi?
What about Dutch?
Afam, I was just asking a question, I generally would like to know if igbo is spoken commonly in any other country besides Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 5:19pm On Mar 08, 2009
ibkaye:

Afam, I was just asking a question, I generally would like to know if igbo is spoken commonly in any other country besides Nigeria.

Igbo is spoken in almost every country of the world where u have Igbo people.

But if u mean Indegenous speaker then i only know of Cameroun and Equitorial guinea.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Mar 08, 2009
As for you questions on Italian and Dutch.

Italian is spoken in six countries, Italy, Switzerland, Vatican City, San Marino, Croatia and Slovenia.

As for Dutch, it is spoken as a native language in the Netherlands, Belgium (Flanders and Brussels), Suriname, Aruba, Netherlands Antilles, Indonesia, French Flanders (France), Lower Rhine (Germany).

Notable immigrant minorities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States; small ex-colonial minority in Indonesia.

Afrikaans, albeit derived from Dutch, is considered a separate standard language and is spoken in South Africa and Namibia.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 5:32pm On Mar 08, 2009
ibkaye:

As for you questions on Italian and Dutch.

Italian is spoken in six countries, Italy, Switzerland, Vatican City, San Marino, Croatia and Slovenia.

As for Dutch, it is spoken as a native language in the Netherlands, Belgium (Flanders and Brussels), Suriname, Aruba, Netherlands Antilles, Indonesia, French Flanders (France), Lower Rhine (Germany).

Notable immigrant minorities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States; small ex-colonial minority in Indonesia.

Afrikaans, albeit derived from Dutch, is considered a separate standard language and is spoken in South Africa and Namibia.

Just see the buscuit countries that you are naming. The population of those countries combined cannot match that of the Igbos.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Album : Umu Obiligbo - Udo Ga Adi (full Album Download) / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music / Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.