Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos (27881 Views)

52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? / 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria / How Much Does An Entry Level Graduate(teller) At UNITY Bank Earn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by simplynola(m): 1:57pm On Jul 15, 2015
Iamtosin:
I will never forget this experience and I think I will always hate anyone that bears this man's name

Now you have decided to join the bandwagon of hatred. Maybe the man hated your area cuz his landlord ejected him when he lived there, now you are passing the hatred to someone else who share the same name with him. Next time when they ask of your area, just say NAIRALAND.

1 Like

Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by carzola(m): 2:19pm On Jul 15, 2015
mapet:

Bros,

One big lesson I have learnt over the years, like in this case, is to keep to the FACTS of the case. Since he did not mention Oh-ha that Deeper-life people are bad, then you need not rewrite his story or meaning. It could be a contextual thing. For example, he could have done something else, that put off the supposed Deeper-life man(what if he wore earrings to the interview, and the interview finds it offensive, showing it in his reaction)? "Deeper-Life Member" could be the OPs contextual generalized term for someone looking pious and holy-ish......

When you grow up, you will understand something about life. Jumping into conclusions like this is beyond immature, it sparks a comprehension deficit.
the key fact that should be paramount in judgement should be the op mentioning where he stays... absent that info we have to make do wit other factors like the deeperlife isssh. so my guy my judgement still stands. dont take this too personal and please watch your tone and choice of words.. lets keep this mature and decent and if u feel other wise the look for the closest motor park you would find your like mind smoking weed in a hided corner join them.
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by missbrigs: 2:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
Why do I feel it GTBANK undecided

1 Like

Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by mapet: 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2015
@OP,

Few more tots,

When next you go for interview, please note that you can also ask the interviewer questions and at anytime during the interview. So if he asks where do you live? You answer. Then you go like this, "I crave your indulgence to ask, why are you interested in where I live? I was of the impression that you have taken my address from my CV. You asking now make concerned. Do you mind me asking, how where I live affects or enhances my chances of securing this job?"

The kind of answer he gives you will tell you if it's a company's policy drive or he was just trying to ridicule you. If it's the latter, you can politely tell him you take exception to it and write a protest letter to the company.

Let me tell you another story. My sister and I wanted to buy a KLM air tickets (I am disposed to mentioning the airline because it turned out good) for our Dad....... the story was, we saw cheap ticket on a Saturday evening and paid, then on Monday I received a phone call that I paid the wrong amount because payment made on Saturday will only reflect in their books, and as at Monday the price has changed. I argued that such policy was not stated on their website and wondered why they did not disable card payment for weekends.......now this man was physching me to pay the difference .....then phone cut. I now called back, and this rude woman picked the phone. I told her I was discussion with another man and that she should transfer me to him, she said since I could not remember his name, she can as well address my issue.

When I explained to her the discussion I have been having with the other customer care guy, then she went off and said there's nothing she (as well KLM) can do about it. I reiterated my earlier argument asking why they will take my card payment on Saturday only to be told different on Monday. then I set her off, the loose canon just went on........... she ended by telling me something like, that's my business. If I knew I wanted to benefit from promo, why didn't I do it earlier? She ended with a threat that If I want the ticket not cancelled, I should pay the difference.......I was stupefied and dumbfounded. I thought I was dreaming, I looked at my hand receiver like "see me see trouble......"

So I drew my keyboard closer, composed an email to KLM and reported the woman, narrating what transpired, the time of the call, my initial ticket number and all the evidence. I challenged them that since all their customer-related calls are recorded, they should play it and verify my claims.

I told them to refund my money back into my card. I also told them to expect to hear from my lawyers, that I will push the case to the limit.....

Then like 2hrs later I saw a call from KLM, I refused to pick it. After many futile attempt to get me, then I received a call from my Dad, who never knew what transpired. Funnily enough I had left my Dad's phone number as the alternate number on the details I filled. My Dad now told me the Country Head of Sales (or something of the sort) had called him, explained the situation, begged him and told him to appeal to me.

So when KLM now called me back afterwards, I picked and spoke to the guy. He apologized and told me that he had looked into my case and agreed on the merit of my claims. And that as we speak, he had instructed they reinstate the ticket and I need not pay any extra........

OP, people can only intimidate you if you let them. If in doubt, clarify. If really they are, take exception.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by mapet: 2:33pm On Jul 15, 2015
OK pardon my tone and choice of words.........

But 2 lessons for you
1. It's better you seek clarification from the OP on grey areas rather than hasty and faulty judgement.
2. The Deeper-lifish jugdement is a rape on basic intelligence

....but Bros, while I try to find the motor-park..., dont you think you missed some classes? grin grin grin
carzola:
the key fact that should be paramount in judgement should be the op mentioning where he stays... absent that info we have to make do wit other factors like the deeperlife isssh. so my guy my judgement still stands. dont take this too personal and please watch your tone and choice of words.. lets keep this mature and decent and if u feel other wise the look for the closest motor park you would find your like mind smoking weed in a hided corner join them.
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by beyoncausme: 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2015
sorry o......

Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by Polithiefcian(m): 2:40pm On Jul 15, 2015
nerodenero:
I use this word polithiefcian a lot. I must have spammed your mentions countlessly grin. Pele o.

Ah jus dey look yew
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by TalkDirect: 2:53pm On Jul 15, 2015
mapet:

But 2 lessons for you
1. It's better you seek clarification from the OP on grey areas rather than hasty and faulty judgement.

....but Bros, while I try to find the motor-park..., dont you think you missed some classes? grin grin grin
Let's bury the hatchet. If the OP leaves an interview with such a broken heart and only comes out to point at some 'deeper life man' while missing out on the real issues pertaining to the subject of his residence/ distance then it leaves me with much question as to whether the fellow is employable in the first place if squeezed thru the seive of personal responsibility. Nobody likes to employ candidates that can't take responsibility. Seeing things thru religious lenses when we should be asking ourselves where we've missed it remains a problem even at the National level. By the way, not every man in suits is a Deeper lifer.
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by mapet: 3:03pm On Jul 15, 2015
TalkDirect:
Let's bury the hatchet. If the OP leaves an interview with such a broken heart and only comes out to point at some 'deeper life man' while missing out on the real issues pertaining to the subject of his residence/ distance then it leaves me with much question as to whether the fellow is employable in the first place if squeezed thru the seive of personal responsibility. Nobody likes to employ candidates that can't take responsibility. Seeing things thru religious lenses when we should be asking ourselves where we've missed it remains a problem even at the National level. By the way, not every man in suits is a Deeper lifer.

You're right..but remember I've laid the assumption that the OP is a newbie and needs a lot of learning. If you check my reactions to the OP was more on the side of advice and not castigation. It is critical to note that the OP must have been taken by emotion when he wrote the piece and as such we should excuse some failings on what he left out or what he insinuated.

Nothing bad in simply asking him for clarifications

1 Like

Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by carzola(m): 3:09pm On Jul 15, 2015
mapet:

But 2 lessons for you

I can see your school fees was not a waste after all.... 1. the Op is missing in action
2. my judgement is not clouded by ignorance.

if you have watched spartacus then you would know my level of education is far fetched.
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by dominique(f): 3:15pm On Jul 15, 2015
Koolking:
The Interviewer might be doing you a huge favour, you could not see it. If the pay is not worth your distance from home vis-a-vis the office, it will be sheer evil to employ you. As desperate for a job as you are, trust me, at the long run your emotional state will affect the company's output.

My former employer would never employ you (no matter your qualification) for a N100k pay if your distance is not among the neigbors and borders of Ikeja.

Far areas like Sango Ota, Badagary, Ajah/Lekki, Apapa, Ayobo, Okokomaiko etc will not be shortlisted for interview unless the pay is from N150k. The company's office assistant was someone who lived in the neighborhood, who was ready to accept N30k.

There are some employers with human feelings. We may not see it, sometimes when employers reject us for a reason based on our locations.

Move on, it's not the end of life. It's all for good

You made sense but if that was the case, then he should never have been shortlisted in the first place if he put in his original address on his CV. There must have been something off-putting about his conduct at with the panel that made them not recommend him. Unfortunately he's pointing fingers at the wrong places.

1 Like

Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by TalkDirect: 3:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
mapet:

You're right..but remember I've laid the assumption that the OP is a newbie and needs a lot of learning. If you check my reactions to the OP was more on the side of advice and not castigation. It is critical to note that the OP must have been taken by emotion when he wrote the piece and as such we should excuse some failings on what he left out or what he insinuated.

Nothing bad in simply asking him for clarifications
I like your disposition in responding to matters. You sound matured and looks like you have values. I hope more people on NL will learn to be like you and not to fan the embers of war. Well done.

1 Like

Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by akpamfet: 3:33pm On Jul 15, 2015
Complete fabricated story!!!
U don't have what to say.
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by easy(m): 3:53pm On Jul 15, 2015
Many questions...

So how did you know he is a deeper life man? Are deeper life members difficult to please at interviews?

How did you know they did not employ you because of the area you were living?
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by Koolking(m): 4:01pm On Jul 15, 2015
dominique:

You made sense but if that was the case, then he should never have been shortlisted in the first place if he put in his original address on his CV. There must have been something off-putting about his conduct at with the panel that made them not recommend him. Unfortunately he's pointing fingers at the wrong places.

Perhaps you are right. However, the selection team must have glossed-over his location as irrelevant. The first 2 interview panels did same. The last panel headed by the group head is a meticulous team which has the final opinion of an applicant. Their recommendation is final and they are bound to be very objective in their decision if the recruitment process is to be adjudged successful. As a group head of a company or selection panel, you have the prerogative of decision.

The guy should come on in style. Personally, I see every rejection and failure as an opportunity to start over more intelligently.
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by mapet: 4:11pm On Jul 15, 2015
Thanks Bro......
TalkDirect:
I like your disposition in responding to matters. You sound matured and looks like you have values. I hope more people on NL will learn to be like you and not to fan the embers of war. Well done.
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by fortunechy(m): 4:18pm On Jul 15, 2015
the area is Ajegunle
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by cevek11: 4:37pm On Jul 15, 2015
So because he asked you where you stay...?

How sure are you that you answered the other questions well?

You last sentence tells me you didn't...

My advice, get on google and research interview questions and the best answers... You should see what went wrong...

Iamtosin:
With heart and eyes filled of tears I write this and I want everyone to learn from my experience

I passed the bank's entry level test last year November, I wrote another test this year Feb, then I passed, scaled through the first interview and also the second interview which was a panel interview.

I then got called to come for a final one which was a chat with the group head.

From our conversation I knew I was going to have a problem with the man. I never knew he was a deeper life man. I was neatly dressed with nice hair cut. At the end of our conversation when he asked which area of lagos I stay and I told him, his countenance changed and told me 'you can go' without the conventional 'do you have any questions for us'

Few minutes ago, I got a message that I wasn't recommended after all what I sacrificed for this job. I will never forget this experience and I think I will always hate anyone that bears this man's name
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by Nicepoker(m): 4:57pm On Jul 15, 2015
Op are u ashamed to tell us where u live?
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by khassy(m): 5:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
Keyana:
Its possible he was rejected cos of that. I once went for an interview and asked where I live. On mentioning Ikorodu, the next question was how i'd make it to VI early.
so na there you d stay abi

anyways bring ma share of your salary come if we resume cheesygrin
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by Keyana(f): 5:36pm On Jul 15, 2015
khassy:

so na there you d stay abi

anyways bring ma share of your salary come if we resume cheesygrin
That was some 2 yrs ago when i dey find work cheesy
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by khassy(m): 5:40pm On Jul 15, 2015
Keyana:
you no d find work again

omo bois dn broke sha
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by khassy(m): 5:40pm On Jul 15, 2015
Keyana:
you no d find work again

omo bois dn broke sha
bus is out
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by Keyana(f): 5:43pm On Jul 15, 2015
khassy:
you no d find work again
omo bois dn broke sha bus is out
ehen. .. will check ASAP
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by khassy(m): 5:46pm On Jul 15, 2015
Keyana:
ehen. .. will check ASAP

just saw it now before posting

not funny sha
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by Pamelayoung: 7:14pm On Jul 15, 2015
The job wasn't meant 4u. A better one is on the way.
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by Smooth278(m): 7:27pm On Jul 15, 2015
Incomplete post...
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by ikorodureporta: 7:46pm On Jul 15, 2015
Iamtosin:
With heart and eyes filled of tears I write this and I want everyone to learn from my experience

I passed the bank's entry level test last year November, I wrote another test this year Feb, then I passed, scaled through the first interview and also the second interview which was a panel interview.

I then got called to come for a final one which was a chat with the group head.

From our conversation I knew I was going to have a problem with the man. I never knew he was a deeper life man. I was neatly dressed with nice hair cut. At the end of our conversation when he asked which area of lagos I stay and I told him, his countenance changed and told me 'you can go' without the conventional 'do you have any questions for us'

Few minutes ago, I got a message that I wasn't recommended after all what I sacrificed for this job. I will never forget this experience and I think I will always hate anyone that bears this man's name

Ikorodu grin where u spend hours in traffic, & d only place for sleep is in d vehicle...
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by favourelisha(m): 8:10pm On Jul 15, 2015
Why you know tell us your location in lagos,make we relocate abi u dey shame.U re not a sharp guy ni ...
sabichele:
where do you stay in Lagos OP? So that if na the place I day make I relocate sharp sharp.
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by profstar(m): 9:24pm On Jul 15, 2015
@iamtosin, i checked your profile now, and a question came to my mind.

is it the Sterling Bank recruitment?
since you send "since last year" and one of your topic is pointing to Sterling Bank and it seems there is no other bank topic there.

if it is Sterling Bank, no mind them, na yeye bank my brother,
thank god they didn't ask you of your cell phone maker,
if na tecno, na disqualification be that o grin
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by kenoz(m): 10:13pm On Jul 15, 2015
Na which area you dey live ?
Re: I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos by solutions2itech(m): 10:32pm On Jul 15, 2015
TalkDirect:
True words he just seems to come on NL to devalue an organization....... To the Op next time try put up a better lyrics or shut the Bleep up!!!! u aint saying the truth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? / Is The Nigeria Custom Service Recruiting For This Year,2012 / 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.