Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement (43525 Views)

Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? / Dear Nigerians , Have You Heard Of Nigerian Religious Movement Godiansim/Chiism? / The Largest Religion In Nigeria? Islam Or Christianity? Detailed Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by buskie13(m): 8:04pm On Jun 09, 2016
i grew up in my home town,and this man very close to us,tho late now was an igbe priest...

we really hated them in the sense that wen dey start using their fans and whistles to make hell of noise accompanied by the bad perfume they wear plus their red and white dressing wasn't cool...they always behave like they insane...

but op...this is an eye opener

2 Likes

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by oweniwe(m): 8:05pm On Jun 09, 2016
MrHighSea:
Must one be religious or worship something?

Help me ask dem o
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by oweniwe(m): 8:13pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:

They've got nice songs bro. I concur!

Young people are not joining because their age mates are not there. Igbe religion never created an atmosphere for youths of this generation. sad sad

That was their mistake. Now, igbe worshippers are seen as backward folks...

And they are mostly poor too. I have never seen full time igbe worshipper that is rich. All these scare young people from joining.

If I have money, don't be suprised if you start hearing songs with igbe rhythms cos I'm gonna carry dem to the studio grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:
Let us give this religion the recognition it deserves!
.We still have them in my town;Anam(Anambra state).Sometimes I wonder why Christians still think that Christianity was founded by God.

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 8:18pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:

True to the saying that a prophet is unacknowledged in his home, the Urhobos and Isokos have abandoned their own indigenous belief system and condemned it as devilish, evil and superstitious and embraced the religion of the white man. How sad! Salvation, however, is a personal race regardless of religious convictions.

*** I still wish my friend was alive to see this post on frontpage cry cry cry cry ***** RIP Freeman!
Yes all nu said about igbe is true but they don't worship God. what they do is self righteousness.

wait...how is that their indigenous belief??
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 8:19pm On Jun 09, 2016
ComradeNwike:
.We still have them in my town;Anam(Anambra state).Sometimes I wonder why Christians still think that Christianity was founded by God.
hnmm....I see you bro. founder of christanity

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 8:21pm On Jun 09, 2016
oweniwe:

That was their mistake. Now, igbe worshippers are seen as backward folks...

And they are mostly poor too. I have never seen full time igbe worshipper that is rich. All these scare young people from joining.

If I have money, don't be suprised if you start hearing songs with igbe rhythms cos I'm gonna carry dem to the studio grin
their songs are already at the studio sorry.

Do you know stereo man?? the one that sang ekwe, signed to kennis music? he is an igbe man.

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by HerexG(m): 8:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
It is high time we start embracing our African religions than all these foreign brainwashing religions. For those calling African religions fetish and idolatry, Christianity is founded on Idol worship. If you are in doubt as me and i will gladly clear you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by oweniwe(m): 8:28pm On Jun 09, 2016
Alezy:
their songs are already at the studio sorry.

Do you know stereo man?? the one that sang ekwe, signed to kennis music? he is an igbe man.

That one is ghetto music...

Think of igbe blues being performed by marc Anthony wink

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 8:29pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:

Ignorance? From what? They could say same about you and your religion as well.

Igbes are one of the most enlightened and tolerant people I know. An Igbe man would never call another person ignorant!
OP this one u just said is not true. Am an urhobo from that egbo street in kokori where it originated from.

people became better enlightened and left that's why it can't gain the necessary popularity u want it to. For God's sake they don't worship God.

There is one called oghenuku, this is same with igbe. u can say they have gods they worship fine but certainly not God. its just like a village priest worshipping gods of their land.
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 8:30pm On Jun 09, 2016
oweniwe:

That one is ghetto music...

Think of igbe blues being performed by marc Anthony wink
lolz...Lwkmdh. that can never happen
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by izywzy: 8:32pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:

And now that we are CURRENTLY SUFFERING, what has Christianity done other than turn us to those who SUFFER and SMILE

You started with a logic that inherently includes Christianity in the current dispensation. The past is gone, along with the gods. But what has Christianity done about terrorism, world hunger, wars, scarcity, etc. I have not seen it rain diamonds yet. I have not seen anyone smite down terrorists from the clouds yet or have you??

Meanwhile, Igbe is not a subscriber to your concept of the "gods"! Igbe has always been monotheistic and believed in one God like Christianity!
my niqqer i v not seen o.... So wot is ur conclusion here?
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 8:33pm On Jun 09, 2016
lepasharon:
Lalasticlala front page
where have you been?
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by lepasharon(f): 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2016
Alezy:
where have you been?

Who you be?
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by oweniwe(m): 8:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
Alezy:
lolz...Lwkmdh. that can never happen

Anything is possible!!

Didn't u see Michael Jackson ' s that old Egyptian pharaoh song when he kissed d queen hand and his arrest was ordered?

If you bring a onyibo music producer to a shrine and get igbe ppl perform in front of him... he' ll give u "modern " unique music

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Pdizzle(m): 8:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
bezimo:

I am of the Isoko tribe of Delta State and I, my family and many Isoko sons and daughters reject this backward stuff. Jesus Christ is the true God and died for all of us to be saved and redeemed. We choose to be liberated to follow christianity of the Bible not some pagan idolatory religion.

Many people might not know that part of the major problems of Africa is its foundation. Our fore fathers were neck deep into idolatory.God had stated he would visit the sin of Idolatory to children childrens even till the 4th generation.A generation is 100 years, so do the maths

To show you how true this is.If you look at Europe, it was founded on great spiritual revivival, the prosperity of europe was built on a great spiritual awakening. Check the early inventors from europe most where christians, same thing with America they have a christian foundation. So they dont struggle to achieve feats, no evil foundation of their fathers house is fighting them. If you look at the Native American tribes of the US and Canada who are also called red indians.They are neck deep into idolatory. They worship fire, the earth and other terrestrial stuff.
If you look at their lives, you cannot but pity them because of their poverty and backwardness.They go about begging in the city from even immigrants for survival.You can imagine how bad their situation is.
Idolatory has a positive correlation with backwardness.

You failed to mention North Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Indians... Are these people christians too?
The early rulers of the world were the black Egyptians and they laid foundation for the world developments with existing monuments no one can explain how they came by. A lot of early inventors are atheists, and Einstein was agnostic.
I'm a Christian too, so bring up excuse for our backwardness, all the bad leaders we've had have either been Christains or Muslims, and we even had a more organized system before the whites came.
Europe was not built on any revival, Americans have lots of cult societies and they ain't even as religious as us. They are just smart, hardworking and disciplined.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
per the bolded, these people are my distant relatives. you don't just throw people away, do you cheesy cheesy

They don't walk everywhere with their backs, they only go through doors with their backs.
They are not my friends and moreover its been really long. I also don't about igbe sects. And stop comparing igbe with Christianity. Christians are the most intolerant people, really? tell that to the Americans, British, Germans who welcome people with diverse ethnicities, religion, race, status etc.
fratermathy:

I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN IGBE PERSON DO THAT.

The mere fact that you are saying this makes me question whether or not you have really met any IGBE UBIESHA adherent at all!!!

Maybe you saw splinter Igbe based group members. It is certainly not Igbe Ubiesha. Ask those "friends" of yours which Igbe they dance.

Walking with back. lol. How "Nollywoody"!

,Meanwhile, the bolded in your post is subject to your own Christian scrutiny.
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 8:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
lepasharon:

Who you be?
lolz. ..am a super human
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by nkemdi89(f): 8:57pm On Jun 09, 2016
Please op can you confirm? I was told by my cousin that igbe girls won't shave their down for six month before meeting a man,also they wear white beads round their waist too and they also encourage inbreeding among family members.
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Toofan007: 9:06pm On Jun 09, 2016
So you would advice people to use traditional chalk to cure ailments? Really
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by oyejideogunjumo: 9:15pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:
Hello Nairalanders,
The advent of judeo-christian monotheistic religious groups in Nigeria such as Christianity and Islam has done great damage to the knowledge of some of our indigenous religious systems. Some scholars in recent times have tried to revive and document these extant or obsolete religious movements in Africa. However, African indigenous religions have been known to be largely polythestic and at best, syncretic. This means that in African religions, the worship of many gods plays a vital role. Ancestral veneration is also found in our various indigenous religions. In the Yoruba religious system, the pantheon of gods include; Ogun, Eshu, Sango, etc. The Ibo pantheon is also similar in functions but different in names such as Amadioha which resonates with Sango.
However, little is known that Nigeria has its own monotheistic religion fashioned like judeo-christian religions but different in practises, cosmology, philosophy, beliefs, etc. Some people have called this religion a "syncretic" one. This means that it is a mixture of two religious systems. This indigenous religion is known as the IGBE RELIGION. Those people domiciled in Delta and Edo States may have come across this religion. The word "IGBE" is an Urhobo word meaning "Dance". Thus, this is a religion of dance. Most people think this religion is paganistic and believe in many gods, as usual in traditional religions. Far from this, it believes in a single God known as "Oweya" and this God is worshipped through dancing and the consumption of native chalk.

The Igbe religion was founded by Ubiecha Etarakpo in 1858 and has its headquarters at 11, Egbo Street, Kokori Inland, Ethiope East Local Government Area, Delta State. Originating in Kokori, it gradually spread to all of Urhobo nation and austral Nigeria at large. As a matter of fact, it has gained international ground in London. The adherents of the Igbe religion are monotheists who believe in an omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent God called Oweya and that he rewards the good and evil alike, according to their deeds.
Dance is a core element of the Igbe. The adherents believe that by dancing, they draw on themselves the very hand of the one and only monotheistic God. The Igbe religious adherents usually meet in an "Ogwa", a sort of temple, in which they meet to dance, welcome members, etc. As dancing is a core element of the Igbe, there is no worship session without dancing. They sing native Urhobo songs in place of hymns. At worship services, the Igbe priest(s), always dressed in white dress and white head gears, administer(s) native chalk on the worshippers for their protection and fortification. This protection is predicated on the belief that witches and wizards are extremely powerful and possess the powers to maim and kill people. The Igbe religion gained a popularity for its ability to render Witches and Wizards powerless and also null their powers, spells and charms in its "Ogwa". The Igbe religion celebrates an annual feast -Ore Isi- for twelve days which takes place every May and thousands are in attendance from all over the world. The feast is held at Kokori in Agbon kingdom, Ethiope East LGA, Delta State.

Igbe was birthed in 1858 when Ubiecha Etarakpo of 11, Egbo Street in Kokori, on his way back home from the farm, allegedly saw an apparition of two divine beings who "anointed" him to preach against immorality and witchcraft. After the alleged apparition, Ubiecha became eccentric and acted insanely as no day passed without him dancing. The people assumed he was mad as he was seen dancing and feeding on nothing but native chalk, called "Orhen" in Urhobo language. This scared the people from coming close. Ubiecha was taken care of only by a lady known as Erukainure who believed he wasn't mad and whom he later married. It was also alleged that after the alleged apparition, Ubiecha performed amazing miracles, accurately predicted the future, healed the sick and miraculously identified witches. He built a worship house called 'ogwa' in his compound and, from there, ministered to the people with native white chalk; and, allegedly prophesied with stunning accuracy. This brought people from across the Urhobo country to Kokori.

The Igbe religion emphasises purity of mind, body and soul of all members. This is why members are seen wearing "white" always as a symbolism of their pure state. Igbe members also believe in the afterlife. They believe that once a person dies, his soul is reunited with God until a new body is created by God for the soul to enter and come back to earth. Hence, they believe in reincarnation as is normal in Urhobo cosmology. A prerequisite for priesthood in Igbe is the ability to see into the future. Hence all Igbe priests are presumed to be clairvoyant. The apex head of Igbe worldwide is the Chief Uku who is supported by his Ochuko Uku. The 'Olori' is like the evangelist and his work is to welcome new members and listen to confessions. Every Igbe temple has an "Oni-Igbe" who is the head priestess. They can dig out any secret and see the future. They also listen to confessions, especially from women members. The typical Igbe members' day starts with the ritual of silence where the walk round the four corners of the "Ogwa" of their house and hum all through after which they eat the native chalk. This is also done at the end of the day. Their most sacred day of worship (just like christians use sunday and muslims use friday) is once every eight days. This day is known as "Edigbe" or "Ediruo" which means day of dance or day of work. The typical activities on this day include singing, dancing, praying, cleansing, confessions, intake of new members and other social/ritualistic functions. Their liturgy is not written but learnt by the "Uku" who initiates and oversees it. The "Uku" is like the walking bible of the Igbe religion. In Igbe, it is believed by adherents that the native chalk, "Orhen", can cure ALL AILMENTS of the body, mind and spirit.

However, after gaining fame and wealth from a viable institution, Ubiecha kicked the bucket in 1920. After Ubiecha's death and burial. His offsprings became divided over succession. However, by tradition, his eldest son, Ibodje Ubiecha succeeded his father as chief priest and head prophet; but his half brother, Akpokovo Ubiecha, succeeded in establishing his own branch in Kokori. However, one of Ibodje's daughters, Mary Ibodje, a priestess, also, broke away to establish her own branch before Ibodje Ubiecha's death which occurred on 6 April 1986. Jackson Ibodje, his eldest son, succeeded him. Today there are various splinter groups of the Igbe religion. The one predominant in Edo state is known as "Sanughebe" and it was taken there by one of Ubiecha's adherents. Others include Igbe Ame, Igbe Oghenuku, Igbe Emeni, etc. These splinter groups have incorporated other practises into the religion that are unorthodox like the worship of water or land spirits, etc. However, the main religion remains Igbe Uku or Igbe Ubiecha.

With the influx of Christianity into Kokori in the 20th century, the Igbe was corrupted by the presence and works of the Church's full scale evangelism. Another powerful Igbe organisation founded by Chief Ogbevire Ogogo evolved. This Igbe brand had some elements of Christianity infused. They observed Christmas and New Year holidays coupled with the Igbe core festival. It gained recognition and spread to many places in Delta, Edo, Ondo, Rivers and Lagos states of Nigeria. And in the first half of the 21st century, gained a platform in the UK. Though the Igbe extends beyond Urhobo land, the bulk of adherents remain Urhobo people and the principal medium of communication is largely the Urhobo tongue. It has a population of over 50, 000 adherents.

The Igbe is replete with criticism. First, non-adherents find it less attractive because of the principal utilization of Urhobo language at worship sessions. Second, non-adherents perceive the religion as idol worship and avoid identification and participation. Third, the Igbe is criticized for the rejection of orthodox and herbal medicines for treatment of ailments. Rather the Igbe adherents believe and administer the native chalk for treatment of ailments. This, the non-adherents view as unsafe and taking chances even though some of the ill adherents allegedly confess to being healed after imbibing or externally applying the native chalk.

The Igbe religion has thrived for over a century and it has waxed stronger with members across the globe. However, it is largely understudied and barely known to Nigerians outside its endemic region. This has informed the reason for this post. I hope it has, at the least, been a subject of intellectual fascination to the reader. I would like to acknowledge the usage of Wikipedia, Wadoo and Professor M.Y. Nabofa'a article as source materials for this writeup.

Written by Mathias Iroro Orhero, B.A M.A(in-view)
Sent in from Warri, Delta State.

Insert Pictures:
Some members of the Igbe religious group in a UK event.

Published in the Urhobo Today Newspaper on Monday 20th 2015. Accessible here:

Good write up. Just hearing of the religion for the first.
But you learn small under Patrick sha. Big grammar in-between but yet well understood.

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by fratermathy(m): 9:18pm On Jun 09, 2016
Alezy:
OP this one u just said is not true. Am an urhobo from that egbo street in kokori where it originated from.

people became better enlightened and left that's why it can't gain the necessary popularity u want it to. For God's sake they don't worship God.

There is one called oghenuku, this is same with igbe. u can say they have gods they worship fine but certainly not God. its just like a village priest worshipping gods of their land.

Oghenuku is like Christianity. It is a subsect of Igbe and not the pure Igbe Ubiesha.

In Igbe Ubiesha, God is called Oweya and that is the only one true God they serve. Whatever gods you think you know must spring from splinter groups. Let's not forget that splinter groups also exist in Christianity as well.

You cant dictate whether a group worships God or not. How do you know you worship GOD?? Or do you think the god you worship is actually God? If so then you should know that God is the same in all religions. They dont have to believe in JESUS before they worship or serve GOD! Point noted!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by AmAlbert(m): 9:19pm On Jun 09, 2016
izywzy:
When the british came to enslave us back then, none of these so called gods could do anything to help. Abacha and co made us suffer and still nothing.... LOL. Igbe ko ito ni. Mumu people injesting chalk.
Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka
Omo you harsh die Igbe ko, ito ni
You no go kill me sha

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by fratermathy(m): 9:20pm On Jun 09, 2016
nkemdi89:
Please op can you confirm? I was told by my cousin that igbe girls won't shave their down for six month before meeting a man,also they wear white beads round their waist too and they also encourage inbreeding among family members.

I dont think any religion can dictate personal hygiene for anyone, Igbe not exempted.

As for white beads, it is actually fairly common among Urhobos and Igbes. Nothing is special about it. It is a personal thing.

Inbreeding is a crime in Urhoboland. If caught, there are consequences. Igbe adherents know this better than anyone.

My argument is based on the one true Igbe Ubiesha of Kokori. I cant speak on Igbe-Ame, Igbe-Ogheneuku, Igbe-OmoAgege, etc. There are so many splinter groups out there with funny practices.
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by fratermathy(m): 9:21pm On Jun 09, 2016
AmAlbert:

Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka Kikikiki Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka
You no go kill me sha

You laugh but what has Christianity done about our modern day suffering and terrorism??
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by fratermathy(m): 9:21pm On Jun 09, 2016
AmAlbert:

You no go kill me sha

You laugh but what has Christianity done about our modern day suffering and terrorism??

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 9:29pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:

Oghenuku is like Christianity. It is a subsect of Igbe and not the pure Igbe Ubiesha.

In Igbe Ubiesha, God is called Oweya and that is the only one true God they serve. Whatever gods you think you know must spring from splinter groups. Let's not forget that splinter groups also exist in Christianity as well.

You cant dictate whether a group worships God or not. How do you know you worship GOD?? Or do you think the god you worship is actually God? If so then you should know that God is the same in all religions. They dont have to believe in JESUS before they worship or serve GOD! Point noted!

Do u believe in heaven and hell?
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by AmAlbert(m): 9:33pm On Jun 09, 2016
Alezy:
where have you been?
lepasharon:

Who you be?
Kikikiki grin grin grin grin grin
Obelekue
You dey form familiarity, see as she take fall your handsteeth excess

2 Likes

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by fratermathy(m): 9:34pm On Jun 09, 2016
Omudia:
per the bolded, these people are my distant relatives. you don't just throw people away, do you cheesy cheesy

They don't walk everywhere with their backs, they only go through doors with their backs.
They are not my friends and moreover its been really long. I also don't about igbe sects. And stop comparing igbe with Christianity. Christians are the most intolerant people, really? tell that to the Americans, British, Germans who welcome people with diverse ethnicities, religion, race, status etc.

Those people are not Christians and you know that well enough. USA alone is the most non-religious country in the world even though the tenets of the nation is built upon Christianity.

I would keep comparing Igbe and Christianity because they are BOTH RELIGIONS and NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS!!! They both have "hooked up" adherents to whom their practices are like opium to soothe their nerves!

Those Igbe friends/family members you have do not practise Igbe Ubiesha, if at all they are Igbe. Ask them the brand of Igbe they subscribe to. Meanwhile you should have caught off from them na. I thought Christianity, like one guy here said earlier, advocates against unholy fellowship?? Hypocrite!!!

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by bezimo(m): 9:35pm On Jun 09, 2016
Pdizzle:

You failed to mention North Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Indians... Are these people christians too?
The early rulers of the world were the black Egyptians and they laid foundation for the world developments with existing monuments no one can explain how they came by. A lot of early inventors are atheists, and Einstein was agnostic.
I'm a Christian too, so bring up excuse for our backwardness, all the bad leaders we've had have either been Christains or Muslims, and we even had a more organized system before the whites came.
Europe was not built on any revival, Americans have lots of cult societies and they ain't even as religious as us. They are just smart, hardworking and disciplined.

Just look at the countries you are mentioning and comparing to America and Europe.So If you have the opportunity to become a citizen of UK or Italy for instance, you would reject it to become a citizen of India or China because the development of those countries can be looked at from the same perspective.Right?

Oh the early rulers of the world laid the foundation for world development so what happened to Africa and the rest of the world. Do you even travel at all, or you are here exposing your ignorance.

I think you are a poor student of history to not appreciate the role christianity revival awakening played in the development of Europe and Western countries.

Read about the exploits of Paul Youngie Cho ministry in South Korea and its correlation to the development of South Korea then you can appreciate what I am trying to say.

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by fratermathy(m): 9:35pm On Jun 09, 2016
Alezy:
Do u believe in heaven and hell?
NO. But I believe in Karma!!!
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by fratermathy(m): 9:41pm On Jun 09, 2016
bezimo:

Just look at the countries you are mentioning and comparing to America and Europe.So If you have the opportunity to become a citizen of UK or Italy for instance, you would reject it to become a citizen of India or China because the development of those countries can be looked at from the same perspective.Right?

Oh the early rulers of the world laid the foundation for world development so what happened to Africa and the rest of the world. Do you even travel at all, or you are here exposing your ignorance.

I think you are a poor student of history to not appreciate the role christianity revival awakening played in the development of Europe and Western countries.

Read about the exploits of Paul Youngie Cho ministry in South Korea and its correlation to the development of South Korea then you can appreciate what I am trying to say.

CHRISTIANITY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH URBANISATION!!!
Infact, Religion in general is anti-development and anti-progressive.

It is a drug that must be eradicated for spirituality to subsist.

The great visionaries in USA, UK, Germany, China, etc are NOT CHRISTIANS!!! They are scientists who want to better their society.. Something we clearly lack in Nigeria!

The age of Christianity and the Church in Europe is called the "MEDIEVAL PERIOD" for a reason. Google that out.

Look at Galileo, Faraday, Einstein, Oppenheimer, Graham, Hawkings, Zuckerberg, etc and other world greatest minds- THEY ARE NOT CHRISTIANS!!! and these are the one who developed their nations simply because they are patriotic- something Nigerians clearly lack as well.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Human Robotic School Built In Ukraine By A Nigeria Pastor & Others (Photos) / How God Saved Me From The Hands Of Bandits On My Way To Abuja / Throwback Picture Of Bishop David Oyedepo And His Wife, Faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.