Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,681 members, 7,813,264 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement (43526 Views)

Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? / Dear Nigerians , Have You Heard Of Nigerian Religious Movement Godiansim/Chiism? / The Largest Religion In Nigeria? Islam Or Christianity? Detailed Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by jasysandra(f): 11:07pm On Jun 09, 2016
AgricSalt:

(1). 'Some historians say that Hinduism had its roots over 3,500 years ago In a wave of migration that brought a pale-skinned, Aryan people down from the northwest into the Indus Valley, now located mainly in Pakistan and India.'

(2). 'One reason is that the roots of the Jewish religion go back some 4,000 years in history and other major religions are indebted to its Scriptures to a greater or lesser degree'.

Always quote your source when citing facts that are not yours.

Secondly these things you presented here are not in the source earlier mentioned after doing a quick key term search of jewish religion, nothing turned up on the page so I wonder why you are trying to make us believe you got it from the same page. That is intellectual dishonesty.
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by jasysandra(f): 11:09pm On Jun 09, 2016
bukster:
The Yoruba Ifa is also a Monotheistic religion and has been in existence for hundrerds of years.

Ifa is not monotheistic. It is polytheistic with beliefs in many gods such as Sango, Ogun, Eshu, etc etc etc.
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by AmAlbert(m): 11:13pm On Jun 09, 2016
jasysandra:

You can run away. We wont blame you. You've made a big mess so far.
Those Bible verses you quoted wont bail you on this issue. Answer the question: how many times have JW predicted ultimate doom? How many times have they ever happened? smiley
Secondly, you think a book of prophecy is believable than many years of research and scientific facts about the world we live in today?
Get ready for a long ride because you will die, at old age of course, and leave this life the way it is and so shall your children and unborn generations to come. AS IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING, IT IS NOW AND EVER SHALL BE, WORLD WITHOUT END. AMEN!!! cheesy

For the bolded, could you please relate some of the failed ultimate doom prophesy..

You amaze me with italicised words, common as the Bible may look to you but it contains information that science and historians are dying to know:
LEVITICUS, JOB, PSALMS, ISAIAH, ECCLESIASTICS to mention but a few, you haven't been going through your Bible that's if you have 1.
same mental attitude of the pharisees and saducees, no wonder Jesus bemoaned them..

Mind you, you can download the Bible for yourself www.jw.org/en for free
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Opharhe: 11:14pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:

True to the saying that a prophet is unacknowledged in his home, the Urhobos and Isokos have abandoned their own indigenous belief system and condemned it as devilish, evil and superstitious and embraced the religion of the white man. How sad! Salvation, however, is a personal race regardless of religious convictions.

*** I still wish my friend was alive to see this post on frontpage cry cry cry cry ***** RIP Freeman!
Marthy u be correct guy. Though I'm a core Urhobo and also a Christian, i don't really see it as a white man's religion/black man stuff. Ubiesha received his inspiration and started the religious movement close to 200 years now. Before then, I'm sure he practised the normal ancestral worship and maybe one or two deities. The Europeans also worshipped various Gods before embracing Christianity, likewise Islam for Arabs etc. So what I'm saying is everything with it's own time and season. I know quite a lot about Igbe though and it's quite interesting. I'm talking based on experience 'coz i know a handful of people who or who their parents have obtained 'Udo-Uku' from Kokori, have 'Egwan' etc.
Wadoo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jun 09, 2016
otemanuduno:
Well said, and my mission on earth is to put an end to all religion. THE DOCTRINE OF THE UFOS is here, let Jesus and Jehovah(Satan) start packing their loads to return to their land of nativity.

Why did you intentionally explain Jehovah as Satan? Come on don't tell me you subconsciously believe in Satan ( unknowing to yourself ).
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by jasysandra(f): 11:19pm On Jun 09, 2016
AmAlbert:

For the bolded, could you please relate some of the failed ultimate doom prophesy..

You amaze me with italicised words, common as the Bible may look to you but it contains information that science and historians are dying to know:
LEVITICUS, JOB, PSALMS, ISAIAH, ECCLESIASTICS to mention but a few, you haven't been going through your Bible that's if you have 1.
same mental attitude of the pharisees and saducees, no wonder Jesus bemoaned them..

Mind you, you can download the Bible for yourself www.jw.org/en for free

You humour me.

These are only SOME of the failed doomsday prophecies:

1877: Christ's kingdom would hold full sway over the earth in 1914; the Jews, as a people, would be restored to God's favor; the "saints" would be carried to heaven.[28]
1891: 1914 would be "the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men."[29]
1904: "World-wide anarchy" would follow the end of the Gentile Times in 1914.[30]
1916: World War I would terminate in Armageddon and the rapture of the "saints".[31]
1917: In 1918, Christendom would go down as a system to oblivion and be succeeded by revolutionary governments. God would "destroy the churches wholesale and the church members by the millions." Church members would "perish by the sword of war, revolution and anarchy." The dead would lie unburied. In 1920 all earthly governments would disappear, with worldwide anarchy prevailing.[32]
1920: Messiah's kingdom would be established in 1925 and bring worldwide peace. God would begin restoring the earth. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and other faithful patriarchs would be resurrected to perfect human life and be made princes and rulers, the visible representatives of the New Order on earth. Those who showed themselves obedient to God would never die.[33]
1922: The anti-typical "jubilee" that would mark God's intervention in earthly affairs would take place "probably the fall" of 1925.[34]
1924: God's restoration of Earth would begin "shortly after" October 1, 1925. Jerusalem would be made the world's capital. Resurrected "princes" such as Abel, Noah, Moses and John the Baptist would give instructions to their subjects around the world by radio, and airplanes would transport people to and from Jerusalem from all parts of the globe in just "a few hours".[35]
1938: Armageddon was too close for marriage or child bearing.[36]
1941: There were only "months" remaining until Armageddon.[37]
1942: Armageddon was "immediately before us."[38]
1961: Awake! magazine stated that the heavenly kingdom "will, within the twentieth century, cleanse the entire earth of wickedness."[39]
1966: It would be 6000 years since man's creation in the fall of 1975 and it would be "appropriate" for Christ's thousand-year reign to begin at that time.[40] Time was "running out, no question about that."[41] The "immediate future" was "certain to be filled with climactic events ... within a few years at most", the final parts of Bible prophecy relating to the "last days" would undergo fulfillment as Christ's reign began.
1967: The end-time period (beginning in 1914) was claimed to be so far advanced that the time remaining could "be compared, not just to the last day of a week, but rather, to the last part of that day".[42]
1968: No one could say "with certainty" that the battle of Armageddon would begin in 1975, but time was "running out rapidly" with "earthshaking events" soon to take place.[43] In March 1968 there was a "short period of time left", with "only about ninety months left before 6000 years of man's existence on earth is completed".[44]
1969: The existing world order would not last long enough for young people to grow old; the world system would end "in a few years." Young Witnesses were told not to bother pursuing tertiary education for this reason.[45]
1971: The "battle in the day of Jehovah" was described as beginning "[s]hortly, within our twentieth century".[46]
1974: There was just a "short time remaining before the wicked world's end" and Witnesses were commended for selling their homes and property to "finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service."[47]
1984: There were "many indications" that "the end" was closer than the end of the 20th century.[48]
1989: The Watchtower asserted that Christian missionary work begun in the first century would "be completed in our 20th century".[49] When the magazine was republished in bound volumes, the phrase "in our 20th century" was replaced with the less specific "in our day".

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Tower_Society_unfulfilled_predictions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by nkemdi89(f): 11:27pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:

I dont think any religion can dictate personal hygiene for anyone, Igbe not exempted.

As for white beads, it is actually fairly common among Urhobos and Igbes. Nothing is special about it. It is a personal thing.

Inbreeding is a crime in Urhoboland. If caught, there are consequences. Igbe adherents know this better than anyone.

My argument is based on the one true Igbe Ubiesha of Kokori. I cant speak on Igbe-Ame, Igbe-Ogheneuku, Igbe-OmoAgege, etc. There are so many splinter groups out there with funny practices.
Thanks for your explanation.

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by AmAlbert(m): 11:28pm On Jun 09, 2016
jasysandra:

You humour me.

These are only SOME of the failed doomsday prophecies:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Tower_Society_unfulfilled_predictions

Please get me the original (WatchTower) source that Wiki got theirs from.. Am waiting
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 11:32pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:

Igbes worship GOD- Oweya is their name for God just as Allah is an Arabic term for God.

They believe the path to God is by purity, love and good deeds. This is the essential truth in all religions; Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Taoism, etc.

Igbe indigenous beliefs are numerous. For one they believe that putting on white clothes symbolise the purity of the soul
They believe that dancing is a route to reach God as the emotions are heightened when dancing
They believe that it is our deeds that determine our afterlife

These, and many more, inform their core tenets.
OK and just as christians go through Christ to God and muslims have muhammad as their prophet, what's theirs?
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Alezy(m): 11:33pm On Jun 09, 2016
fratermathy:
NO. But I believe in Karma!!!
Oh well there is no need for the arguments then.

Thank God I asked this question
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by jasysandra(f): 11:35pm On Jun 09, 2016
AmAlbert:

Please get me the original (WatchTower) source that Wiki got theirs from.. Am waiting

I am always ready to clear your doubts and tell you what you dont even know about your sect.

Here are some citations to the WatchTower sources. I hope you consult them.

"Growing in Appreciation for the Divine Purpose", The Watchtower, October 15, 1974, pg. 635.
"Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975?", The Watchtower, August 15, 1968, pg. 500.
"What Will the 1970s Bring?" Awake!, 8 October 1968.

"The End of 6,000 Years of Man-Rule Approaches—What Has Been Accomplished?", The Watchtower, October 1, 1975, pg. 579.
"A Solid Basis for Confidence," The Watchtower, July 15, 1976, pg 441.
Bader, Chris (March 1999). "When prophecy passes unnoticed: New perspectives on failed prophecy". Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion (Society for the Scientific Study of Religion) 38 (1): 122—123. doi:10.2307/1387588. JSTOR 1387588.
Holden, Andrew (2002). Jehovah's Witnesses: Portrait of a Contemporary Religious Movement. Routledge. pp. 151–152. ISBN 0-415-26609-2.
The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah – How?, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1971, p. 216.
The Watchtower, October 15, 1980, p. 31.
The Watchtower, March 1, 1984, p. 18-19.
"Work for the Anointed", The Watch Tower, January 1, 1925, pg 3, "The year 1925 is here. With great expectation Christians have looked forward to this year. Many have confidently expected that all members of the body of Christ will be changed to heavenly glory during the year. This may be accomplished. It may not be. In his own due time God will accomplish his purposes concerning his own people."
The Watchtower, January 1, 1989, p. 12.
The Watchtower, October 1, 1989, p. 31.
"The Harvest is Not Ended", The Watch Tower, September 1, 1916.
"The Harvest is Not Ended", Watch Tower, September 1, 1916.
"Now Is Our Salvation Nearer", The Watch Tower, May 1, 1914.
"The Present Crisis", The Watch Tower, September 1, 1914.
"Making Ready for the Reign of Righteousness", Watch Tower, November 1914.
"Pseudo-Apostles of the Pressnt Day", Pastor Russell's Sermons, International Bible Students Association, 1917, pg 676, "The present great war in Europe is the beginning of the Armageddon of the Scriptures. (Rev. 16:16-20.) It will eventuate in the complete overthrow of all the systems of error which have so long oppressed the people of God and deluded the world. All iniquity of every kind will go down. The glorious Kingdom of Messiah is about to be set up in the earth, for the deliverance of the world and the establishment of permanent righteousness. We believe the present war cannot last much longer until revolution shall break out. The nations are rapidly impoverishing themselves."
"The Concluding Work of the Harvest", The Watch Tower, October 1, 1917, pg 6148-6149.
Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1959, page 101.
"Birth of the Nation", The Watch Tower, March 1, 1926, pg 73.
J.F. Rutherford, Millions Now Living Will Never Die, International Bible Students Association, 1920, pg 105.
J.F. Rutherford, Millions Now Living Will Never Die, International Bible Students Association, 1920, pg 89,90.
"For the Elect's Sake", The Watch Tower, May 1, 1925, pg. 137, "We are well along in 1925. Let everyone now who really loves the Lord put aside selfishness and, moved by the spirit of a loving devotion to the cause of righteousness, make the few remaining months the greatest witness yet given for the King and his kingdom."
"A Time to Keep Awake”, The Watchtower, November 1, 1994, page 17.

Here is even an AUDIO recording: http://archive.org/details/ServingWithEverlastingLifeInView

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by jasysandra(f): 11:39pm On Jun 09, 2016
Alezy:
OK and just as christians go through Christ to God and muslims have muhammad as their prophet, what's theirs?

They dont need one. Mind you, Muslims dont go through Muhammad (Peace be upon him). Muhammad (Peace be upon him) is recognised ONLY as a PROPHET and not served like JESUS. Muhammad (Peace be upon him) only came to lead people to Allah, God. So also was the work of Ubiesha who came to lead the people from idolatry to God. However, some Igbe deify Ubiesha but never as dogmatic as Christians do with Jesus.

In a way, Igbe creates a direct link to God like Islam and other spiritual religions. Christianity settles for Jesus as a medium. Every religion has its own way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by AmAlbert(m): 12:01am On Jun 10, 2016
jasysandra:

I am always ready to clear your doubts and tell you what you dont even know about your sect.

Here are some citations to the WatchTower sources. I hope you consult them.

Thanks a trillion, I'll go through the cited sources and I'll get back to you..

Mind you the Bible is not some fictitious or mythical book, it's contents are far more accurate and truthful than any other book in the history of Man, and in it I solely depend or Base my interactions

Here is even an AUDIO recording: http://archive.org/details/ServingWithEverlastingLifeInView
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by bukster(f): 12:18am On Jun 10, 2016
jasysandra:

Ifa is not monotheistic. It is polytheistic with beliefs in many gods such as Sango, Ogun, Eshu, etc etc etc.

Ifa belives in one god. All the others are just deities that exist to help Olodumare like Christian angels and a gateway to Orunmila for believers. Catholics pray to Mary and other Saints but Catholicism is considered monotheistic.

I had to research Ifa for a project and that was how it was described.

Here are some sources:
https://africanspiritualitynow./2013/05/12/6/
http://cubanyoruba..ca/2007/04/orishas.html
http://organizations.uncfsu.edu/ncrsa/journal/v03/johnsonoyinade_yoruba.htm

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Proffdada: 1:35am On Jun 10, 2016
Positivist:
So one religion founded in the 19th century is Nigeria's first monotheistic religion? I beg to disagree. ISLAM had been in Nigeria over 900years earlier than IGBE! Get your facts right dude!
Islam forced its way by force and violence and it's less than 300 years angry

2 Likes

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by ugwupitah(m): 5:49am On Jun 10, 2016
I grew up in delta state to like dancing alot, I was even privileged to watch one or two igbe processions. Not to sound fetish but if only Igbe was could be made possible to understand in other languages it'll definitely find it's place in Nigeria
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by NiRfreak(m): 7:23am On Jun 10, 2016
Positivist:
So one religion founded in the 19th century is Nigeria's first monotheistic religion? I beg to disagree. ISLAM had been in Nigeria over 900years earlier than IGBE! Get your facts right dude!
So in your mind,Islam is Nigerian in Origin ba?
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Positivist: 7:35am On Jun 10, 2016
NiRfreak:
So in your mind,Islam is Nigerian in Origin ba?
It is English we're both typing. 'First indigenous' was not used there. So, I'm not incorrect.
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Positivist: 7:36am On Jun 10, 2016
Proffdada:
Islam forced its way by force and violence and it's less than 300 years angry
Continue to display your ignorance.
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by NiRfreak(m): 7:40am On Jun 10, 2016
Positivist:
It is English we're both typing. 'First indigenous' was not used there. So, I'm not incorrect.
It will be better if you just read the post before commenting
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 10, 2016
Religion won't take no one to heaven but only Lord Jesus Christ will , so I don't care how many new religions are formed ,how rich they're getting the truth is RELIGION who take no one to heaven but only Jesus Christ of Nazareth he's the only way to heaven
Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by Pdizzle(m): 8:01am On Jun 10, 2016
bezimo:

Just look at the countries you are mentioning and comparing to America and Europe.So If you have the opportunity to become a citizen of UK or Italy for instance, you would reject it to become a citizen of India or China because the development of those countries can be looked at from the same perspective.Right?

Oh the early rulers of the world laid the foundation for world development so what happened to Africa and the rest of the world. Do you even travel at all, or you are here exposing your ignorance.

I think you are a poor student of history to not appreciate the role christianity revival awakening played in the development of Europe and Western countries.

Read about the exploits of Paul Youngie Cho ministry in South Korea and its correlation to the development of South Korea then you can appreciate what I am trying to say.

Mr travel round the world, the fact remains these countries are developed countries, the only reason people troop in Europe and America more from Africa is language correlation, even with these barriers people still troop in Asia, go and check Nigerians studying in Malaysia .

Give me name facts and figures of how revival developed Scandinavian countries; which are the best places to live in the world, everyone knows these places for their intersexual, gay, lesbianism and sex change agendas, abi God like that one too?

So these so called countries built their countries on revival and went ahead to take slaves and treat them in humanly and was still happy with them.

Nigeria have great men of God and great revivals has been happening since the time of Oshoffa, Orimolade, Akindayomi, Ayo Babalola, so all those ones couldn't bring us out of this misery? Even today we have the biggest congregations in the world, you mean all those Holy Ghost camp, Cannan land, Mountain of fire camp, Deeper life camp, Camp Camp Camp everywhere that does nothing for the country rather than cause traffic jam on the highways can't help us?, but Youngie Sho's own can help north Korea.

Malaysia was just like us in 1959, came to get palm fruits from us, and they had just one good and determined leader, and things changed for them, now Nigerians are trooping there. Which revival happened there.
See I'm not undermining God, but a lazy nation with bad leaders will remain backward, if una like do revival from now to next year.

1 Like

Re: The First Monotheistic Religion In Nigeria: Igbe Religious Movement by DaMotivator(m): 2:27pm On Jun 10, 2016
WOW...dis is a nice exposition on igbe....being an urhobo boy i feel so ashamed getting to read about dis for d first time here...thou hv heard momsi n popsi talk about it...but anytime they speak about it, its alway about how fetish it is, dat its a cult group for rich people...lol....being a student of history am so ashamed dat i never even get to read about my own history in school...all i did was bulkaniation of dis, amalgamation of dat...brinkmanship of the world and so many others dat i now found redundant...well sha...would do my own personal research on dis topic...thank for the wonderful write up...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How God Saved Me From The Hands Of Bandits On My Way To Abuja / Throwback Picture Of Bishop David Oyedepo And His Wife, Faith / Mbaka Mobilises Support For Buhari’s Reelection Despite Catholic Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.